PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Chess at Anime LA 08?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Maguma
09-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Cosplay chess was actually fairly successful at AX this year minus the loss of members and such, with ALA as a much smaller venue, I think we could pull off one with a more successful revenue. Anyone interested?
http://www.animelosangeles.org/anime-la/2008/gif/burapf01.gif
We will be meeting in the Academy Quad. Located in the middle of the entire area. YOU CANNOT MISS IT!

The main list is full so you will be put as a back up piece. You can request to be a specific back up piece and if it becomes available you will get it. If you do not specify you will be assigned one come the event. I apologize if we cannot get everyone into this game but we can only do one for ALA.

For Those of you who want to Play as pieces
Please post:
name
Cosplay character
color of choice (Black is all that is available)
position of choice (If you do not mention you will automatically be placed as a Pawn.)

Along with this being posted we would REALLY appreciate you sending the Following to me ASAP! ^o^

Also, if you are on the roster please send this information to the people listed below.
Chess Piece:
Character name:
Series:
Attacks:
Personality (including random facts, catchphrases not connected to fighting, etc.):If you are on the black team send this information to Captain Gundam
If you are on the White team send this information to PrettySammy

The Matchups
Only those who sign up will play. If the roster is full for the first game we'll host a second game. After that is full a backup list will be made. Back up list is First Come first Serve!!! If you are going to be in the game. BE THERE EARLY! We wanna make sure all things are managed and covered before the game goes on.

Announcers: Captain Gundam and PrettySammy

GAME 1Time: FRIDAY 4:00
PLAYER BLACK
* alternate player
KING - Myself (Gray Fullbuster)
QUEEN - Yami (Princess Sakura)
BISHOP (2/2) - DorianHomes (Enrico Maxwell), PurplePixie (Juuromaru)
KNIGHT (2/2) - Tearatone (Schrodinger), Meanlilkitty (Seras Victoria)
ROOK (2/2) - Tsumikuroi (Young Walter), Ergheiz Zero (Phoenix Wright)
PAWN (8/8) - HappyHeretic (Jan Valentine), Grey finch (Luke Valentine), Kaze Neko (???) , MokubaKaiba (Mokuba or Tobi), Sakukodo (Neji), J Ryoga (Final Form Sora), Fullmetal Ninja (Edward Elric), ZOMG its Payman (Shinji)

VS

PLAYER WHITE
* alternate player
KING - maggifan (Kurogane)
QUEEN - Mlarad (Princess Tomoyo)
BISHOP (2/2) - Sonicfan (Pence), Audhulma (Szayel Aporro?)
KNIGHT (2/2) - OokamiTsuki (Fai D. Flowright), Ryoko (Syaoran)
ROOK (2/2) - Inuashley (Warrior Riku), Keiosu (Haruhi)
PAWN (8/8) - Doragon (????), Kuroneko (????), Amber Graves (Chii), Sininen (????), Thia Fayne (Sasori), Doctor Blind (Deidara), Lonely Otaku (Naruto), GenGerard (vyse)

The Backups No specification backups get priority over those who requested a spot.
Cosplay Cyborg (Cyborg 009) - Black Rook, Knight, or Bishop
Kaze Neko - No Specifications
Serey - No Specifications
Earthbounder - No Specifications
Fullmetal Tora - No Specifications

Shout Out To Photographers
To make Cosplay Chess's second round Special I wanna do a small open photoshoot with all the members who participated. We need some stunning Photographers to help us out! If any of the Pros out there wanna help please send me a PM!

Donations
If any players wanna bring donations such as food, a table, the gameboard (which will help us know the current situation of/or play the game a bit easier), or food or water please contact Me or Tsumikuroi.

List of things needed:
Chess Board - OokamiTsuki
Table - Hotel
chairs - Hotel
Water - Hotel
Snacks - TsumiKuroi
Video - LonelyOtaku
Check-in - Fullmetal Tora

Staff
Game Organizer - Maguma
Game Announcers - Prettysammy, Captain Gundam
Attendance (manages Player attendances) - Captain Gundam
Donations and Prizes (Manages Prizes and Donations. Contact to donate items) - Tsumikuroi
Chess Mat (All questions and comments regarding the mat go to them) - Doragon and Kuroneko
Filmer (Someone to film the game.) - Lonely Otaku
Piece Accessories (Items to differentiate the pieces.) - Mlarad
Check In (People who manage the attendance.) - Full metal Tora

If anyone has questions regarding these topics, please contact any of these people.

Schedule
3:00 - Show up time. Unless you have a gathering to attend or cannot be here by three. all pieces must show up at this time! If not you will end up losing your spot to someone on the wait list. (if you have a reason as to why you cannot make it, Please contact me and let me know.)
3:15 - Set Up
4:00 - Game Start
5:00 - Game Ends
5-5:30 - Open Photoshoot (Don't Leave just yet, we wanna get pictures of ALL the pieces and what not.)

Varnani
09-03-2007, 01:03 AM
I'd go.

But this time, I'll wear more comfortable shoes. D:

Maguma
09-03-2007, 02:13 AM
OMG i thought you were gunna die in those boots! you were havin lots of trouble moving on the mat!

Varnani
09-03-2007, 03:22 PM
D':

I'm surprised anyone noticed, I tried not to make a big deal out of it.

chiiokami
09-03-2007, 04:43 PM
what's cosplay chess?

Maguma
09-03-2007, 05:32 PM
its a game where we play a giant game of chess with cosplayers as the pieces.

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I want to do it!!! I hope we are not pawns again! I think we should have a better explanation of who is fighting and moving and stuff! it was confusing last time! What day do you plan to do this? I want to be Sakura-hime hopefully for this! : D Can Yami be Queen maybe? lol....*gets killed*

Maguma
09-03-2007, 07:07 PM
No idea yet, first wanna see who'll join. You can be queen since you asked. make your choice now!!!

Tearatone
09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Game one, Knight position please! I think I'll go for the black side. Right now let us assume I'll attend as Schrodinger.

Meanlilkitty
09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Seras Victoria, Hellsing, black knight

Maguma
09-03-2007, 08:07 PM
you both are on the list!

HappyHeretic
09-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Jan Valentine, Hellsing, Black, Pawn (poor jan pawn of millenium)

And

DorianHolmes as Enrico Maxwell, Hellsing, Black, Bishop (even if he is an ARCH Bishop)

(I'm posting for her because she is in France right now, but that is her Cosplay.com account name)

Maguma
09-03-2007, 08:16 PM
ok both are added!

if anyone has any questions or comments regarding the game. feel free to PM me or IM me at any time!

tsumikuroi
09-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Okay, tentative. TOTAL tentative... >_>

Sign me up for the White side, Knight, as Captain Hina from One Piece. *wince*

Ergheiz Zero
09-04-2007, 03:51 AM
I am down for another round of Cosplay Chess! Jez... I don't think I'll have my new cosplay ready in time for ALA so just place me as Phoenix Wright as Game 1 Black Rook.

Keep me on tentative though, gotta see if I can get those days off of work so close after the holidays.... But we are doing it on Day 0, you need to scratch me off, I'll be able to do it Day 1 and on, But I'll see, If I CAN get those days

Maguma
09-04-2007, 08:37 AM
there's no day 0 for ALA lol.

Purplepixie
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Aug, wish id been able to see it in action at AX! But sounds like a ton of fun ^_^
Sign me up for black side, bishop, as (most likely) Juuromaru from Inuyasha.

Ergheiz Zero
09-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Then cool, I should be able to go then, at least for day 1, I'll request the days off at work today to make sure I am covered.

Oh, and purplepixie, here are my cosplay chess pictures from AX: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Mimeldez/Anime%20Expo%202007/Cosplay%20Chess/

maggifan
09-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Zero Kiryu from vampire knight, black side, bishop

mlarad
09-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I want to sign up for the queen of the white team.

I may wear princess tomoyo

Maguma
09-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Aug, wish id been able to see it in action at AX! But sounds like a ton of fun ^_^
Sign me up for black side, bishop, as (most likely) Juuromaru from Inuyasha. Added

I want to sign up for the queen of the white team.

I may wear princess tomoyo
Added

Zero Kiryu from vampire knight, black side, bishop
Both of the bishop spots are full there is still one rook space available on the black team and 7 pawn spaces available.

maggifan
09-04-2007, 09:09 PM
awww...ok..
Zero Kiryu from vampire knight, white side, King

Maguma
09-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Added

Grey Finch
09-04-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't know what cosplays I'm wearing on what days, but I know I'm bringing Luke Valentine (and it looks like there's already some Hellsing representin!) so sign me up for Luke Valentine, black pawn please~

tsumikuroi
09-04-2007, 10:33 PM
With some serious contemplation, I have decided to change to Young Walter. With coffin. XP

HappyHeretic
09-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Hellsing is ruling the black side... this is great.

sonicfan
09-05-2007, 01:58 AM
hi!! I want to participate as Pence from KH2, white side, Bishop.

Maguma
09-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Added and list updated!

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Why didn't Yami mention ryoko. Now I'm not an important piece.... T^T

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Why didn't Yami mention ryoko. Now I'm not an important piece.... T^T
I'm wanna be a white knight with Fai, since I'm gonna be Syaoran. And yami is Princess Sakura.

Syaoran: Fai-san, Tomoyo-hime, why are we attacking Sakura-hime...?

Maguma
09-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Added and updated!

DivineSage
09-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm wanna be a white knight with Fai, since I'm gonna be Syaoran. And yami is Princess Sakura.

Syaoran: Fai-san, Tomoyo-hime, why are we attacking Sakura-hime...?

Hahaha, I just noticed that... the white side is like the Tsubasa team! Poor Sakura, kind of ironic that the heroine of the series is up against her so-called protectors.

Varnani
09-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Can I be another white Bishop, or has it been taken? Put me down as Szayel Aporro(but I might change ^^;; ) for now, if it isn't.

Maguma
09-05-2007, 11:52 PM
ADDED and UPDATEEEED!! woot

Ergheiz Zero
09-06-2007, 12:00 AM
You know, I should ask my brother see if I can borrow his camera to film the chess game, if not I can always volunteer my Digital Camera to film it....

Did anyone film the games at AX??

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Hahaha, I just noticed that... the white side is like the Tsubasa team! Poor Sakura, kind of ironic that the heroine of the series is up against her so-called protectors.

lol It'll be funny if Sakura goes up against one of them. They surrender due to her kind gentle heart. Syaoran just can't bring himself to hurt her. lol

Maguma
09-06-2007, 12:20 AM
You know, I should ask my brother see if I can borrow his camera to film the chess game, if not I can always volunteer my Digital Camera to film it....

Did anyone film the games at AX??
Ryoko-and-Yami's mom did but they can't upload it yet... but if someone could film the match that'd be great.

maggifan
09-06-2007, 12:24 AM
can you change me zero Kiryu to kurogane from tsubasa chronicles?

Maguma
09-06-2007, 12:27 AM
done and done!

maggifan
09-06-2007, 03:14 PM

LOL thats true! XD
now its tomoyo hime, kurogane*me*, syaoran, and fai vs sakura :crylaugh:

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-06-2007, 09:28 PM
LOL thats true! XD
now its tomoyo hime, kurogane*me*, syaoran, and fai vs sakura :crylaugh:

Aw kurogane is king and tomoyo is queen! So cute! I love kuroganeXtomoyo!

Sakura: Why are you all going against me? Did I do something wrong?

lmao this is so funny but kinda sad at the same time...

Maguma; are we going to have this more planned out this time?

Pretty Sammy
09-07-2007, 01:23 AM
I'd like to participate again too! :D

Actually, I was wondering if I could try my hand at announcing... ;3 That is, if we don't have people already lined up.

Maguma
09-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Maguma; are we going to have this more planned out this time?hells yes.

I'd like to participate again too! :D

Actually, I was wondering if I could try my hand at announcing... ;3 That is, if we don't have people already lined up.it's all yours! you can team up with gundam, cus i know he wants to do it.

inuashley
09-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Cosplay: Don't know yet
Color: White
Piece: Rook

Hopefully I won't be frying this time as opposed to AX. XD

Pretty Sammy
09-07-2007, 09:37 PM
it's all yours! you can team up with gundam, cus i know he wants to do it.

If we could get a better sound system this time, then I think it might be fun to have the announcers either A.) Also be in-character or B.) Do some sort of comedic act playing off one another. Of course, it's up to Gundam as well. Just throwing out ideas. :3

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Good, last time it wasn't organized the best. Maybe we should will plan out how everyone should react to each other or even have it scripted?

Sakura must defeat all her friends in order to get her full memory back! it was a deal with the Witch! lol

DivineSage
09-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I think it'd be really cool to have a comedic routine for the announcers, keeps things interesting. Also, I think the player's and "pieces" should meet ahead of time to coordinate, and each piece should have a couple ideas of what they'll do to attack, or when they are defeated, etc. I don't think the game itself should be scripted, it should be an actual chess game with the players pitted against each other, testing their skill, etc. (ok, going back to my chess geek corner, now...), but some sort of concrete organization would be good.

A sound system is definitely recommended. It'll be a lot easier for the announcers to relax and entertain if they aren't shouting. Even a basic portable mic/speaker thing would work. Perhaps the audio crew of the convention will have something we can use?

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I think it'd be really cool to have a comedic routine for the announcers, keeps things interesting. Also, I think the player's and "pieces" should meet ahead of time to coordinate, and each piece should have a couple ideas of what they'll do to attack, or when they are defeated, etc. I don't think the game itself should be scripted, it should be an actual chess game with the players pitted against each other, testing their skill, etc. (ok, going back to my chess geek corner, now...), but some sort of concrete organization would be good.

A sound system is definitely recommended. It'll be a lot easier for the announcers to relax and entertain if they aren't shouting. Even a basic portable mic/speaker thing would work. Perhaps the audio crew of the convention will have something we can use?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea!

Captain Gundam
09-08-2007, 10:37 PM

ya the announcer was trying to keep things interesting while trying to not used profanity...

i would know, I was the announcer. Maguma, I'm up for being the announcer again for this cosplay chess as well

DivineSage
09-09-2007, 12:49 AM
ya the announcer was trying to keep things interesting while trying to not used profanity...

Oh, I wasn't saying anything against you, I was just making suggestions. I didn't even see the game at AX. Anyway, I totally know how you feel, it's so hard to be in a situation where you can't curse...

Maguma
09-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Curse lightly haha say ass, damn, shit, or crap. but use F word very lightly

tsumikuroi
09-09-2007, 02:42 PM
You mean typical television cursing? *dryly*

Pretty Sammy
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Comedy does not have to include profanity you know. :)

I'm an improviser myself. I'm on my school's Improv team called "ComedySportz" which is in many High Schools across Los Angeles and also a professional show at the National Comedy Theater in Hollywood. (Give a shout-out if you know us!)

In ComedySportz, we're not allowed to curse at all. No sex-jokes or genital jokes either. It's because those are easy ways to get laughs. We don't want easy laughs -- when you get the ones that are hard to get, it's even more satisfying.

But ComedySportz is a show that's highly structured. I'm not suggesting we do a show like that as announcers. But I'm a character actress -- if Captain Gundam is willing to work with me, I think we could create some fun characters to be the announcers without resorting to just saying "f***" to make them giggle.

Oh course, Gundam will be the head announcer. :) I think he would be much better qualified, since he did it last time. But I'd like to be some sort of color commentator, or we could each handle a separate team. :) (Gundam got black I got white, or something like that)

For example, I was thinking that one of us could be super mellow and the other be exceedingly peppy. You guys must have heard of those classic Japanese comedy teams -- the dumb playboy guy and the smart girl, or the fat short dumb guy and tall skinny smart guy. It's in Kansai a lot.

That way, the chess players could take their time with their moves while we do bits.

What do you think Captain Gundam? This is a team effort, so I'll roll with whatever you say! "Yes, And!" XD

Captain Gundam
09-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Comedy does not have to include profanity you know. :)

I'm an improviser myself. I'm on my school's Improv team called "ComedySportz" which is in many High Schools across Los Angeles and also a professional show at the National Comedy Theater in Hollywood. (Give a shout-out if you know us!)

In ComedySportz, we're not allowed to curse at all. No sex-jokes or genital jokes either. It's because those are easy ways to get laughs. We don't want easy laughs -- when you get the ones that are hard to get, it's even more satisfying.

But ComedySportz is a show that's highly structured. I'm not suggesting we do a show like that as announcers. But I'm a character actress -- if Captain Gundam is willing to work with me, I think we could create some fun characters to be the announcers without resorting to just saying "f***" to make them giggle.

Oh course, Gundam will be the head announcer. :) I think he would be much better qualified, since he did it last time. But I'd like to be some sort of color commentator, or we could each handle a separate team. :) (Gundam got black I got white, or something like that)

For example, I was thinking that one of us could be super mellow and the other be exceedingly peppy. You guys must have heard of those classic Japanese comedy teams -- the dumb playboy guy and the smart girl, or the fat short dumb guy and tall skinny smart guy. It's in Kansai a lot.

That way, the chess players could take their time with their moves while we do bits.

What do you think Captain Gundam? This is a team effort, so I'll roll with whatever you say! "Yes, And!" XD

You were saying something?...:P

Well I say lets be ourselves since it alot of work to come up with a character. I dont mind the color commentator really since it was difficult to know which side was their turn (to the point where i confused even the pieces at time)

When I was making a witty comment I did it when the game started as part of the intro, at half time, a character died and at the end of both games. It was easier to come up with stuff to make fun of plus I didnt drain myself too fast or run out of comic material quickly.

An example of this would be when a sakura (from naruto) cosplayer was defeated and I said "that's what you get for working your hair". I make fun of the characters on the board.

Got some material I need to write if im going to be doing CC.

Captain Gundam
09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
You mean typical television cursing? *dryly*

yeah the "made for tv" version profanity.

DivineSage
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Well, I think it would be best to have a constant flow of commentary, for the sake of entertainment. Just watching the game will be entertaining, but I think comedic commentary in the background will add to it and get the audience more excited.

I can vouch for PrettySammy, she's very creative, so if she and Captain Gundam worked together on a routine, I think it'd go really far. I like the idea of characters- maybe you could cheesy newscaster types commentating for a sports event (has anyone seen Best in Show?), etc.

sakukodo
09-11-2007, 01:30 AM
im not sure if i will be at my naruto gathering when this is happening but im interested if on the first day i know for a fact ill go. whatever the case i would be neji and i guess white rook

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-11-2007, 09:01 PM
What day is this going to be on?

Maguma
09-11-2007, 09:04 PM
not sure yet

Keiosu
09-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Keiosu
Fujioka Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club
White Rook

As long as the day isn't Friday I can make it. :3

Maguma
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
the day will be friday sadly, saturday will be too hectic and sunday is gunna be when most people will be leaving.

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Yay! Friday! not the day of the yyh group (be yusuke maguma!)

Maguma
09-11-2007, 10:47 PM
im not making a yusuke costume, someone will need to do it for me. or atleast buy me pants for it

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
im not making a yusuke costume, someone will need to do it for me. or atleast buy me pants for it

You won't buy it? lol pants they are like blue. maybe if i get a deal on shipping when i get mind. it'll be a bday or xmas present. lol

I hope I don't die right away like last time in chess!

Keiosu
09-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Aww damn. Well maybe another time. I can't miss school....unless school is off that day for some reason....>.>

sakukodo
09-12-2007, 02:21 AM
alright im glad to hear its going to be friday im in

Maguma
09-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Aww damn. Well maybe another time. I can't miss school....unless school is off that day for some reason....>.>

don't worry, the event will probably be later in the day once everyone has calmed down and what not since we know many people are in school on fridays.

DivineSage
09-12-2007, 07:56 PM

Won't you still be on Winter Vacation? ALA is the beginning of January this year, the 4th through the 6th.

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Won't you still be on Winter Vacation? ALA is the beginning of January this year, the 4th through the 6th.

yeah, ALA is my last weekend before school starts again.

Keiosu
09-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Won't you still be on Winter Vacation? ALA is the beginning of January this year, the 4th through the 6th. -flips through school planner-....I love you. <3 I can make it! Sign Keiosu up for white rook! X3

Captain Gundam
09-13-2007, 12:37 AM
hey maguma, have you found a location on/near ALA grounds
plus what time do you have in mind for CC to start?

Maguma
09-13-2007, 12:44 AM
not sure yet

I wanna contact live programming and get some advice/suggestions from them first

Captain Gundam
09-13-2007, 01:04 AM
not sure yet

I wanna contact live programming and get some advice/suggestions from them first

ok. make sure to get the ok from them

DivineSage
09-13-2007, 01:44 AM
-flips through school planner-....I love you. <3 I can make it! Sign Keiosu up for white rook! X3

xD Always glad to help a fellow harassed student.

Location-wise: I don't think there are any places outdoors where we'd be allowed to set up the game, but I know the space the con has rented out is really big. Maguma's already in contact with Live Programming, maybe they'll have a programming room they can give us for an hour, or if we can get this turned into an ALA-sanctioned event, we might even be given space out in the lobby area.

Captain Gundam
09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
xD Always glad to help a fellow harassed student.

Location-wise: I don't think there are any places outdoors where we'd be allowed to set up the game, but I know the space the con has rented out is really big. Maguma's already in contact with Live Programming, maybe they'll have a programming room they can give us for an hour, or if we can get this turned into an ALA-sanctioned event, we might even be given space out in the lobby area.

I'll be suprised if it becomes an ALA sanctioned event. I doubt cosplay chess is going to be an hour. It took us about 2? (or close to two hours) for two games. I hope all goes well nonetheless

DivineSage
09-14-2007, 07:38 PM
I'll be suprised if it becomes an ALA sanctioned event. I doubt cosplay chess is going to be an hour. It took us about 2? (or close to two hours) for two games. I hope all goes well nonetheless

Well, we probably couldn't get a programming room for more than an hour because all programming blocks are hour long, I doubt they'd let us take up two blocks that could go to panels or GoH events.

It's possible that ALA will agree to Cosplay Chess being a programmed event, it's popular enough. It's just a matter of discussing it with the programming department, which Maguma has already done.

Maguma
09-14-2007, 08:52 PM
yea, all thats left is waiting for confirmation so if anyone gets any heads up let me know, Also some donations towards the cosplayers participating such as waters or small snacks like chips or granola bars to keep em going cus standing for an hour is not the most easy of tasks regardless of how many AX lines you wait in

Captain Gundam
09-15-2007, 09:50 PM
yea, all thats left is waiting for confirmation so if anyone gets any heads up let me know, Also some donations towards the cosplayers participating such as waters or small snacks like chips or granola bars to keep em going cus standing for an hour is not the most easy of tasks regardless of how many AX lines you wait in

speaking of which, is there going to be a post game dinner like the one at AX?

Pretty Sammy
09-15-2007, 11:57 PM
You were saying something?...:P

...Uhh...yeah, I kinda was. :<

I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting you here, but you don't seem to want to have a partner. If so, that's fine. You were there first, so it's only fair. If that's the case, I'll just be a piece again and do advertising. I just know that it's impossible to do a partnership when one person doesn't want to be in it. Please be honest if you don't want me cramping your style.

Captain Gundam
09-16-2007, 12:36 AM
...Uhh...yeah, I kinda was. :<

I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting you here, but you don't seem to want to have a partner. If so, that's fine. You were there first, so it's only fair. If that's the case, I'll just be a piece again and do advertising. I just know that it's impossible to do a partnership when one person doesn't want to be in it. Please be honest if you don't want me cramping your style.

oh no no i wasnt being mean. sorry if you took offense. I was only trying to witty.

i dont mind a partner really since it cuts down the amount of work that is done. keeping track of two teams and trying to come out with LOL comments for every death does take it toll.

Maguma
09-16-2007, 01:24 AM
yes, as we have seen with AX lol.

Ergheiz Zero
09-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Yup, that is true, I recall you said it was black's turn after black went ><! Anyways, Are we gonna have a better job with the arm bands this time ^^; or are we going with a different way to distinguish the different pieces?

And the post dinner is a good Idea, I would've joined you guys, but I had a 21+ dinner gathering to go to after @ AX.

DivineSage
09-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Well, the pieces will be distinguished by their placement on the board at the beginning of the game, and I think when a piece is being moved, the player should call out something like "Middle pawn to E7!", etc. Armbands or nametags might be useful though, for the observer's sake.

Ergheiz Zero
09-16-2007, 03:13 AM
True we need a better way of doing so, but the board positions are something good chess players would know, if an observer that knows squat about chess they'll be lost @_@

Maguma
09-16-2007, 04:58 AM
well the arm bands were to distinguish what team you were on. We requested that each piece wore one on their arm and it was either black or white.

Also the cosplay.com game we just had people move to the designated spot with no announcement of the pieces. for this game we're gunna have someone either announce the moves aloud or when each side moves its piece he or she will say it out loud as he moves his or her piece

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Can Sakura-hime get a crown since she's being Queen? I'll buy one for myself. I think it'd be cute!

Maguma
09-16-2007, 03:58 PM
thats fine lol

DivineSage
09-16-2007, 03:58 PM
We could do something like this for armbands: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/Dungeon_Keeper/chesspieces.gif

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-16-2007, 06:05 PM
the arm bands didn't seem to work well last time. : ( Maybe the nights could buy swords at a after Halloween discount? And we could paint the hilts black or white?

Maguma
09-16-2007, 06:44 PM
the armbands were never properly finished so it didn't work well. I'd say the best plan is to face in the direction of your opponent so people know whos on what team. It makes the most sense in my opinion onless we find a way to signify whos what

DivineSage
09-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Whichever way the piece is facing is their opponent. Also, I think it'd be cute for the kings and queens to wear crowns, like what Ryoko-and-Yami mentioned. I think the player should shout out the commands, or they should be announced or something. It'd be easier for the audience to follow if they heard "Pawn x, move up one space!" and saw Character x move.

Pretty Sammy
09-16-2007, 08:19 PM
oh no no i wasnt being mean. sorry if you took offense. I was only trying to witty.

i dont mind a partner really since it cuts down the amount of work that is done. keeping track of two teams and trying to come out with LOL comments for every death does take it toll.

:) Oh, okay then. :D

It might make it easier to make "LOL" comments if we know all the characters in advance and write them out. That way, if we can't come up with something witty, we can reference our written material.

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-16-2007, 08:28 PM

It might make it easier to make "LOL" comments if we know all the characters in advance and write them out. That way, if we can't come up with something witty, we can reference our written material.

I think that is a good idea!
Last time I didn't know the character I fought!! It was a Deathnote character. And I didn't know how she was gonna kill me.

Maybe us Tsubasa characters can come up with a witty story since every one is against Sakura. Maybe the only way to get her last memory (one of syaoran) is to defeat her friends! But they can't fight her. Well, maybe Kurogane could but Fay and Syaoran would stop him. lol Syaoran can go evil! or something. It'd be fun. lol

Maguma
09-16-2007, 08:43 PM
if someone can buy 4 crowns that'd be great

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-16-2007, 10:10 PM

I can get one of me i know. Depends on the price if i get any more. lol >.< maybe i can get another queen one or a king one

Mr. Postman
09-16-2007, 11:12 PM

Burger King, bro. They're free... :angel2:

TC

Maguma
09-16-2007, 11:48 PM
hahaha good idea!!

Captain Gundam
09-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Whichever way the piece is facing is their opponent. Also, I think it'd be cute for the kings and queens to wear crowns, like what Ryoko-and-Yami mentioned. I think the player should shout out the commands, or they should be announced or something. It'd be easier for the audience to follow if they heard "Pawn x, move up one space!" and saw Character x move.

Great idea. At CC at AX many times the players werent loud enough that the chess pieces couldnt tell if they had to move.

Also to add to that, the announcers should let those playing and view know which piece is piece by announce them first and then have them move to their spots on the board.

Captain Gundam
09-17-2007, 12:54 AM

not just on the characters and background but also fanfics and humor with it so we are not limited to what is just officially written for them.

ex. is when KH sora is defeated by someone else a comment should be "first time sora has gone down on a non KH character"

something along those lines (and that isnt so vulgar)

DivineSage
09-17-2007, 01:11 AM
...I'm so ashamed of myself, I snorted out loud at the Sora comment xD

I should probably be mature and say "no sexual jokes", but... so much material there!

I think a level of interaction would be a good idea, not just between the pieces, or the pieces and the players, but with the announcers as well. For example, if Gundam used that line, whoever was playing Sora could glare at him and wave his keyblade, etc. Makes it more entertaining.

Ergheiz Zero
09-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Oh man, so much material to use for my cosplay ^^;; phoenix = mad fanfics... especilly phoenix x edgeworth...

Anyways, that is a good Idea to start, set the board up by naming said character and the piece they represent.

and yea, some more character interaction with other pieces and annoncers can bring more LOLZ to the game.

Pretty Sammy
09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
How about the announcers who have microphones announce the moves so the players don't have to shout? The players could be playing on an actual chess board at a table (since it's impossible to play chess without seeing it from above) and then we could announce the moves without anyone having to scream.

maggifan
09-17-2007, 01:07 PM
I think that is a good idea!
Last time I didn't know the character I fought!! It was a Deathnote character. And I didn't know how she was gonna kill me.

Maybe us Tsubasa characters can come up with a witty story since every one is against Sakura. Maybe the only way to get her last memory (one of syaoran) is to defeat her friends! But they can't fight her. Well, maybe Kurogane could but Fay and Syaoran would stop him. lol Syaoran can go evil! or something. It'd be fun. lol

thats a good idea!
but how about, fay and syaoran can attack sakura because I think kurogane would never attack sakura. since fai stab sakura in the manga and syaoran becomes all evil, I think it would make more sence.

Captain Gundam
09-17-2007, 03:46 PM
How about the announcers who have microphones announce the moves so the players don't have to shout? The players could be playing on an actual chess board at a table (since it's impossible to play chess without seeing it from above) and then we could announce the moves without anyone having to scream.

good idea. that way they can keep track of their own pieces without constantly moving back and forth on the board.

that's how it was at CC at AX when the players moved on the board and moved pieces by accident to make room for them to walk.

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-17-2007, 09:03 PM
thats a good idea!
but how about, fay and syaoran can attack sakura because I think kurogane would never attack sakura. since fai stab sakura in the manga and syaoran becomes all evil, I think it would make more sence.

*shamefully is only up to volume 14* Why'd Fai stab her?!

yeah I think they need to have chess boards.

No burger king hats! eww!

maggifan
09-18-2007, 12:28 AM
*shamefully is only up to volume 14* Why'd Fai stab her?!

yeah I think they need to have chess boards.

No burger king hats! eww!

opps sorry for the spoilers. DX
do you want to know why fai stab sakura? I don't think you want me to tell you more spoilers?
you can read the manga online in here!

http://groups.msn.com/TsubasaReservoirChroniclesOnlineManga

maggifan
09-18-2007, 12:32 AM
about the date for this event why not for it to be on sunday like from 12:00 to 2:00pm? I think that it would be the best, since it could be like in anime boston, that everyday has its own main event. Of course this is not a main event yet, but it can keep people from leaving the venue on sunday.

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-18-2007, 12:45 AM
about the date for this event why not for it to be on sunday like from 12:00 to 2:00pm? I think that it would be the best, since it could be like in anime boston, that everyday has its own main event. Of course this is not a main event yet, but it can keep people from leaving the venue on sunday.

I would like the chess to be the same day as the CLAMP gathering if that's possible.

Keiosu
09-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it's already been decided that it'll be on Friday. Saturday is too hectic and Sunday is when everyone is leaving.

I'd like to see a completely Bleach cosplay chess game someday. The Shinigami against the Arrancar, then there really wouldn't be an issue with side confusion either. XD

DivineSage
09-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, Sunday's a bad choice because most people will be focusing on checking out of their hotel room at noon. I know I wouldn't be able to participate if it were on Sunday, too much other stuff to focus on.

Maguma
09-18-2007, 09:05 PM
yea, its friday, bottom line lol

Captain Gundam
09-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, Sunday's a bad choice because most people will be focusing on checking out of their hotel room at noon. I know I wouldn't be able to participate if it were on Sunday, too much other stuff to focus on.

not to mentioned everyone will be drained by then. having fun at a con is energy draining

friday sounds as a good idea plus its a nice way to start the con

J Ryoga
09-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Sign me up. Doesn't matter to me which team I'm on because THE CHAMP IS HEEERRREEE! (holds up spinner belt) XD

Captain Gundam
09-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Sign me up. Doesn't matter to me which team I'm on because THE CHAMP IS HEEERRREEE! (holds up spinner belt) XD

hope the champ gets to do something this time.. and win

tsumikuroi
09-19-2007, 01:07 AM

Chess board idea thirded.

If someone scrounges up a Clamp no Kiseki chess board for this event, I will keel over laughing my head off.

J Ryoga
09-19-2007, 01:19 AM
hope the champ gets to do something this time.. and win

Hahaha. The Champ's team won at AX, can't complain about that.
Are we going to try to have this indoors?

DivineSage
09-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Hahaha. The Champ's team won at AX, can't complain about that.
Are we going to try to have this indoors?

There isn't really a place outdoors at the new hotel to hold it, so most likely yes. I imagine the programming team will have an idea of where it would be most appropriate, though.

Captain Gundam
09-19-2007, 12:38 PM
i almost forgot to ask two things.

one) is has anyone scouted the new ALA location?
&
two) is there going to be a "best death" contest (like at AX) or something along those lines?

tsumikuroi
09-19-2007, 12:48 PM
i almost forgot to ask two things.

one) is has anyone scouted the new ALA location?
&
two) is there going to be a "best death" contest (like at AX) or something along those lines?

I'd be more than happy to scrounge up a couple of prizes for "best death scenes" but we need to find a way to judge them.

Captain Gundam
09-20-2007, 12:55 AM
I'd be more than happy to scrounge up a couple of prizes for "best death scenes" but we need to find a way to judge them.

agreed. For AX we just gave them away to R & Y since everyone else left.

i would suggest on the death judging by on character, acting, and fall. its a starting point...

DivineSage
09-20-2007, 12:59 AM
I agree with Gundam, it should be based on the acting. I think it should creativity, ability to stay in character, and acting in general. As far as judges go, although it'd be cool to have input from the audience, I think that would be too complicated (unless someone can think of an easy way to do it). The least complicated method would be to have the announcers act as judges, and I think our announcers are qualified. Gundam has experience from the last game at AX, and PrettySammy is very knowledgeable in acting.

Maguma
09-20-2007, 01:29 AM
and sammy, don't dissappear this time XD

Ryoko-and-Yami
09-20-2007, 11:26 PM
I went to the ALA location. The convention center is just a piece of the hotel. The only restaurants around are part of the hotel. Kinda a desert area.

Acting will be fun, with the tsubasa group! WOOT

I have half of the clamp chess pieces! >_<

Captain Gundam
09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
at least we know where we can get something to eat.

anything new on CC being an offical event or something else?

Maguma
09-21-2007, 01:11 PM
nothing yet, I'm gunna email them again for more info. Also i wanna start a list of things that we feel we need for this event to be more successful than at AX

Hazel Chaz
09-21-2007, 07:36 PM
nothing yet, I'm gunna email them again for more info. Also i wanna start a list of things that we feel we need for this event to be more successful than at AX

prog 2008, at anime los angeles dot org...

I believe it's being pencilled in for an outdoor event in the quad (the plaza between two buildings). (We have LOTS of sidewalk chalk. You'll want a team to mark out the squares before the start time.) You'll want to coordinate with Caroline/Patty/Arlene to figure out which day it's going to be on. Did you already tell them how long a time slot it needs?

I went to the ALA location. The convention center is just a piece of the hotel. The only restaurants around are part of the hotel. Kinda a desert area.

But it's getting better. Did you notice the construction across the street? The Panda Express and the Del Taco are taking shape. (McDonald's and Denny's are next.) Christian's been checking it every week and reports visible progress from one week to the next.

The closest shopping center is Burbank Empire Center. Go round to the back of the hotel -- Empire Street is the road that parallels the railroad on that bridge over Hollywood Way that you go under -- and take Empire east, you can't miss it. It's about half a mile, a bit of a hike on foot but an easy jaunt in a vehicle. (And the hotel will take you there and back in their shuttle bus for free, I believe.) Sharky's, Hometown Buffet, and a zillion other options. Plus a Michael's and a Target.

Chaz

Captain Gundam
09-22-2007, 01:40 AM
prog 2008, at anime los angeles dot org...

I believe it's being pencilled in for an outdoor event in the quad (the plaza between two buildings). (We have LOTS of sidewalk chalk. You'll want a team to mark out the squares before the start time.) You'll want to coordinate with Caroline/Patty/Arlene to figure out which day it's going to be on. Did you already tell them how long a time slot it needs?

hey maguma is the chess board from last time going to be used? the whole marking with chalk brought up the board size plus room for the prizes and donated items for the game.

Pretty Sammy
09-23-2007, 12:08 PM
and sammy, don't dissappear this time XD

XD There's a funny story behind that. My sister had a costume malfunction and was stalled up in a bathroom!! I had to go find her and fix it for her!! XD I'm sorry I ran off! But if I don't do advertising this time, then I can stick around at the chess game all the time.

It's great that we're getting support from the con this time. AX was kinda like "NOO!!!!"

Captain Gundam
09-24-2007, 06:43 PM
It's great that we're getting support from the con this time. AX was kinda like "NOO!!!!"

It more like He ll No!

Maguma
09-24-2007, 10:26 PM
hey maguma is the chess board from last time going to be used? the whole marking with chalk brought up the board size plus room for the prizes and donated items for the game.

hmmmm well we requested the board from last time but if there is no grass to place the stakes in, we go with chalk. Also would someone like to take up managing donations and prizes?

Captain Gundam
09-25-2007, 12:39 AM
hmmmm well we requested the board from last time but if there is no grass to place the stakes in, we go with chalk. Also would someone like to take up managing donations and prizes?

tsumikuroi say that she be getting some prizes?...

also if someone can go to the ALA site (or againif someone has already gone)
and find ouyt how big is the outdoor area. that way if the board is too small, we can go with chalk. just trying to avoid simple problems that can waste time for CC

Maguma
09-25-2007, 12:44 AM
no problemo

Hazel Chaz
09-25-2007, 04:01 AM
also if someone can go to the ALA site (or againif someone has already gone)
and find ouyt how big is the outdoor area. that way if the board is too small, we can go with chalk. just trying to avoid simple problems that can waste time for CC

Does anyone have a photo of this board? How about dimensions?

Maguma
09-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Here's a shot of how big it is.
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8183/img2885copyho1.jpg

I cannot remember the measurements but if you PM either KuroNeko or Doragon they can tell you since they were the ones to make it.

Ergheiz Zero
09-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I can assume it's 16' x 16' and that is under the assumption that each tile is 2' x 2'

tsumikuroi
09-25-2007, 08:42 PM
I'll go scrounging up prizes, no worries. ^^ They'll have something of a FMA theme, if anyone minds...

Maguma
09-25-2007, 09:12 PM
none what so ever. Since you're handling prizes would you like to manage donations and what not?

tsumikuroi
09-26-2007, 01:22 AM
Certainly.

Expect a very blood splattered Walter, on that note. Halloween is going to be... interesting this year.

Captain Gundam
09-27-2007, 12:47 AM
hey i just realized that is CC going to go in night time? if so, there should be some sort of lighting in play. probably be the 1st CC played outdoors at night

Maguma
09-27-2007, 12:57 AM
hmmmm

Flood lights. easiest thing i can think of really.

Hazel Chaz
09-27-2007, 01:23 AM
http://www.boston-baden.com/hazel/Pix/2003/l/lc30_0150.jpg (http://www.boston-baden.com/hazel/Pix/p.cgi?2049-04)

Here's a picture of the Academy Quad. Okay, it's mostly a picture of three guys, but behind them you can see the grassy patches.

There are more bits of grass than I remember... I'll see if we can measure them and see if we can get you four corners to stake down. Is it all right if part of the board is on concrete, as long as the corners are staked into the ground?

Maguma
09-27-2007, 08:46 AM
yea. if it gets properly staked in there won't be a problem. we had no issues with tripping or anything at 07 so that'll work just fine.

doragon
09-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Aa, cosplay chess at ALA. I think you talked to me about this Maguma on aim but I honestly don't remember. You've asked for the board several times for different things.
But, I will bring it to ALA if you guys still want a board instead of using chalk, as long as neko and I get to play *shakes fist* And if I figured out how to wash the sucker - grass stains on my pretty board T__T

specifics about the board: It is about 20 feet across and wide and yadda, each square being roughly 2.5 feet. Each corner has a ring to either put a stake into it our it could be tied down with ropes. Its durable - hell, its still alive with having everyone on it and still sitting in the box.

Yeeeeah ~

Maguma
09-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks Doragon!! We'll make sure you're in the first game for sure!!

doragon
09-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Sweet. xD;
we're debating on being Arrancar or Vizards, but something from Bleach but closer to the date we'll confirm. Could we also switch to the white side since that one doesn't have any one for pawns... and so we could chill with the possible Bleach homie?

neko and I were thinking it would be fun if someone made crowns and the whatnot for all the pieces. They'd be easy and cheap out of foam sheets and such. We might be willing to do it if no one else does.
... then we can hijack everything and hold it all for ransom 8D

Maguma
09-28-2007, 07:47 PM
hahaha you made the board why not our crowns lol

Maguma
09-29-2007, 01:59 AM
At this point in time we need a donation of a table 2 chairs and a chess board with full set. Also would anyone be willing to donate some lights to help see the game haha

also a shout out to photographers
To make Cosplay Chess's second round Special I wanna do a small open photoshoot with all the members who participated. We need some stunning Photographers to help us out! If any of the Pros out there wanna help please send me a PM!

DivineSage
09-29-2007, 02:28 AM
I can bring a chess board. I'll just pick up a cheap one and leave it in your hands for future games.

Maguma
09-29-2007, 02:32 AM
Domo Arigatou!

mlarad
09-29-2007, 05:29 AM
hey maguma I got a little lost in this thread. I saw that it says that the cosplay chess is going to be from 530 and on. I have a question why is going to be so late? I though everyone was agreeing with it being like at 3pm or so because if it ends so late, if its on friday it interferes with the AMV contest and since I will be participating and you know that you have to be present to participate and on saturday is the masquerade. I still think that it should be on sunday like at noon. Last year on sunday there was still a lot of people around. There was a great show up on the bleach and ouran host club gathering and this can make even more people not to leave early on the last day. Its there a way that this can work out being in another schedule?

mlarad
09-29-2007, 05:33 AM
oh and BTW, I have an idea about the crowns for this event. what about that if for the king and queen there to be crowns. for the white team white crowns with diamons, and for the black team black crowns with diamonds. for the bishops they can have a tiara of their respective colors with diamonds. the knights and rooks can wear a sash from the shoulder to the waist of their color. for the pawns they can use an arm band of their respectives colors. I will be willing to do all of this if is ok with you and as soon as I have some preview shots I can send you the shots but I want to make sure that this idea is fine XD

Maguma
09-29-2007, 08:43 AM
hey maguma I got a little lost in this thread. I saw that it says that the cosplay chess is going to be from 530 and on. I have a question why is going to be so late? I though everyone was agreeing with it being like at 3pm or so because if it ends so late, if its on friday it interferes with the AMV contest and since I will be participating and you know that you have to be present to participate and on saturday is the masquerade. I still think that it should be on sunday like at noon. Last year on sunday there was still a lot of people around. There was a great show up on the bleach and ouran host club gathering and this can make even more people not to leave early on the last day. Its there a way that this can work out being in another schedule? We decided friday around 5:30 apparently because it would be easiest to manage the event. We can do sunday as a possibility and it can be up for discussion so if anyone has better suggestions you are more than welcome to post them since the con isn't till January. I'll change the time for now to TBA

oh and BTW, I have an idea about the crowns for this event. what about that if for the king and queen there to be crowns. for the white team white crowns with diamons, and for the black team black crowns with diamonds. for the bishops they can have a tiara of their respective colors with diamonds. the knights and rooks can wear a sash from the shoulder to the waist of their color. for the pawns they can use an arm band of their respectives colors. I will be willing to do all of this if is ok with you and as soon as I have some preview shots I can send you the shots but I want to make sure that this idea is fine XDThat is actually a brilliant Idea and it'll save TsumiKuroi some time! thank you so much. Also I was thinking we should make some kind of large sign or poster that can tell you what each of the different items mean so people who arrive late to the match know who is what piece. I'll edit this onto the front page

Pretty Sammy
09-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Should we have a snack-table? :D Or just buy pizza/snacks for players? It might be fun to have a snack table at the event, but considering the fact that there is the con suite, it might not be necessary.

kuroneko
09-29-2007, 01:45 PM
That is actually a brilliant Idea and it'll save TsumiKuroi some time! thank you so much. Also I was thinking we should make some kind of large sign or poster that can tell you what each of the different items mean so people who arrive late to the match know who is what piece. I'll edit this onto the front page

Does that mean you don't want Doragon and I to make the crowns we suggested? o.O

Captain Gundam
09-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Should we have a snack-table? :D Or just buy pizza/snacks for players? It might be fun to have a snack table at the event, but considering the fact that there is the con suite, it might not be necessary.

well how about a table for the bottles of water for the cospplaying pieces?

Captain Gundam
09-29-2007, 02:32 PM
We decided friday around 5:30 apparently because it would be easiest to manage the event. We can do sunday as a possibility and it can be up for discussion so if anyone has better suggestions you are more than welcome to post them since the con isn't till January. I'll change the time for now to TBA

true but at the same time we dont know if the area will be used for other gatherings. besides a few here mentioned that sunday is check out day and that everyone is concerned in getting out.

and if you want to play but cant make it, then dont and have someone replace you

DivineSage
09-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah, Sunday is not only check-out day, but noon is check-out time. I think that particular time of day would be far too hectic to pull off. Plus, I think the Bleach gathering will still be going on around then. I still think Friday is the best day, but perhaps we could negotiate an earlier time.

Maguma
09-30-2007, 12:29 AM
yes. I was chatting with gundam and he doesn't believe that an early time will be good due to school students but hell 4:30 or 5:00 would be fine since the AMV contest is at 7:00

Captain Gundam
09-30-2007, 01:07 AM
i would suggest to those going to the amv's to either pick cc or go to amvs and by pass cc. i do know that you have to make line and if you play cc it can take time .

i suggest 5:00 so the pieces can get their costumes ready if it take time.

mlarad
09-30-2007, 01:23 AM
yes. I was chatting with gundam and he doesn't believe that an early time will be good due to school students but hell 4:30 or 5:00 would be fine since the AMV contest is at 7:00

Yes, but remeber that we have to make a line to go into the amv contest. If I recall last year it was pretty full. Also, I though that you guys wanted people to come watch and participate in this event, If we don't have enough players or people to watch and support what is the whole point of this event. If you have it in a schedule where people will have to decided to which event attend I can bet that the amv contest will win, because remember too that here in the west coast the human cosplay chess is not as popular like in the east coast, very few people knows about this type of event. I would say if its on friday it should be no later than 4pm.

Maguma
09-30-2007, 01:26 AM
yea. I'd agree with Mlarad as well about that. we can't do saturday or sunday due to busy-ness.

Captain Gundam
09-30-2007, 01:48 AM
cant be earlier than four. it take me about an hour and half to get there since i am taking the freeway through traffic.

i know mlarad is making a point but at the same time you are kinda taking amv side a little too tough.

yes people can choose and yes people should see CC but they them selves have to pick.

DivineSage
09-30-2007, 01:57 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Gundam here. Also, there are a lot of people that aren't interested in the AMV Contest. No offense intended to anyone participating, of course, but there will be people who don't go, and might possibly be looking for another event in the meantime.

I'll second the suggestion of 5:00.

Pretty Sammy
09-30-2007, 12:10 PM
How about we compromise and say 4:30? :D

I agree about the AMVs and also about school kids, but I think 4:30 is reasonable.

Maguma
09-30-2007, 01:00 PM
if we do 4:30 that means the game itself will be over at around 5:30/5:45 with more than enough time to spare for the AMV contest. If people cannot show up at The time we finally decide upon sadly that is their loss.

tsumikuroi
09-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Err... *pops in rather late* Sorry, all. It's been a hectic time lately because of school. ^^;;

I'd be more than willing to make armbands for the pawns, specifically big loops that can easily go around an arm (like the stereotypical armbands seen in anime school uniforms). But I think that's about it. ^^;; I'm going to be rather busy, you see...

Maguma
09-30-2007, 01:57 PM
oh thats alright, the bigger debate right now is time tho.

tsumikuroi
09-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Hm. Indeed.

Captain Gundam
09-30-2007, 11:05 PM
if we do 4:30 that means the game itself will be over at around 5:30/5:45 with more than enough time to spare for the AMV contest. If people cannot show up at The time we finally decide upon sadly that is their loss.

that's probably going to hurt us...

i say 4:45pm. still enough time for the game to end and to mak line for amvs

Maguma
09-30-2007, 11:17 PM
that's fine too

kuroneko
09-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Wouldn't aiming for 4:30 be pragmatic so that if things run overtime when getting ready you're not starting late, but still more at an acceptable time? o.o

Maguma
09-30-2007, 11:50 PM
That works as well. I honestly wanna start it before 5:00. if we do we end before 60 and people can get in line for AMV contest which had a full house as well last year along with those who entered who must show up early to confirm their videos.

Hazel Chaz
10-01-2007, 03:52 AM
That works as well. I honestly wanna start it before 5:00. if we do we end before 60 and people can get in line for AMV contest which had a full house as well last year along with those who entered who must show up early to confirm their videos.

If you want an hour for it, I strongly recommend 4 o'clock as your start time so you'll be done before dark.

Or do it sunday. You can have the hotel hold your luggage after you've checked out until you're ready to go home, you know...

Maguma
10-01-2007, 09:01 AM
that is true but the hectic act of getting ready for check out and what not never fails. and it doesn't really get dark till about 6:30 really

Hazel Chaz
10-01-2007, 04:31 PM
that is true but the hectic act of getting ready for check out and what not never fails. and it doesn't really get dark till about 6:30 really

So have it after everyone's checked out and stashed their luggage at the bell desk or in their cars. Like, say, 2 o'clock.

Sunset is at 4:57 pm on Friday the 4th, a minute later on Sunday. See
http://www.griffithobs.org/skyfiles/skysunrise2008.htm

To put it another way: Think about when it'll get too dark tonight to deal with wrapping up a cosplay chess game. Then subtract an hour and about 40 minutes to figure out when you want to be done at the convention, because it'll get dark that much earlier.

The East Tower casts a big (chilly) shadow all afternoon. And it'll cost the convention $60 to plug in each light you want to bring, I really don't recommend racing the dark. It's going to be cool enough during the daylight.

Captain Gundam
10-01-2007, 05:43 PM
why not make a list of people who have to check out on sunday vs those on monday?

that way if one side is bigger than the other, that bigger sides wins.

so if sunday checkout is bigger,then the game is on friday, if not on sunday in the morning or early afternoon.

also if the amvs cause problems, either have friends make line for you, or drop out of cc.

doragon
10-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I really don't have any problems with either day thus far; since I'm not going to the amvs nor will I be having a room to check out of; I'm driving in and out of ALA each day I go since its not too far from me. But, I would really like if it doesn't end too late since I still have to drive and when I'm tired I hate driving xD;

Ryoko-and-Yami
10-01-2007, 08:19 PM
I think it will be best at an early time. I don't want to be cold >_<

maggifan
10-01-2007, 09:31 PM
It will be fine for me on friday if it starts no later than 3:00pm,
I can change the time for the CLAMP gathering a little early! or sunday will be great too.

Maguma
10-01-2007, 09:40 PM
well if too many people sign up who have school (12th and under) it definately won't be at 3:00 end of story.

Captain Gundam
10-01-2007, 10:23 PM
well if too many people sign up who have school (12th and under) it definately won't be at 3:00 end of story.

i also doubt that is going to happen. everyone on the list is 13 and over.

if people want it on sunday, players have to make it on time.

what time would be suggested for sunday? should it be before checkout though? also should we found out who has to check out that day?

and one tip for maggifan let those going to the clamp gathering know why you want to change the gathering time and get their answers. if they agree go for it, if there's doubt, keep it as it is. last thing you want is anyone complaining (trust me on that).

Maguma
10-01-2007, 10:28 PM
most definately as an un-official event we don't wanna conflict with any gatherings.

So far debated times are
Friday
4:30-5:30 (getting dark at around 5:00)

Sunday
12:00 after (People not wanting to drive after being tired)

I still strongly Suggest a friday schedule. Sunday will be hectic regardless of who shows up or checks out not only for players but for viewers. If one is not in the game they may not think of being checked out in time for the event and would be doing so as the event is going on. But that is my personal opinion.

Captain Gundam
10-01-2007, 10:42 PM
most definately as an un-official event we don't wanna conflict with any gatherings.

So far debated times are
Friday
4:30-5:30 (getting dark at around 5:00)

Sunday
12:00 after (People not wanting to drive after being tired)

I still strongly Suggest a friday schedule. Sunday will be hectic regardless of who shows up or checks out not only for players but for viewers. If one is not in the game they may not think of being checked out in time for the event and would be doing so as the event is going on. But that is my personal opinion.

What is happening on Friday besides AMV's and some gatherings?

Question to everyone, How long does it take to get from your houses to ALA ?

Not to be rude or strict or a jerk, but maguma, place a dead line on what time should things be done for when it should it start. that way its one less thing to worry on

Maguma
10-01-2007, 10:49 PM
oh that's totally reasonable gundam. I wanna honestly smack a time on this and just say, that's that. as for when things should be done for when it should be done, like CC at AX set up 1:00 before the event. Gives us loads of time to have it ready and anything else that needs setting up such as the table and other things. and this time we designate where peoples stuff will go along with donation items and water and what not

doragon
10-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Do schools start that early though? I figured they'd start getting back in session the Monday after ALA.

Gundam, for me its half an hour pending traffic, and the 5 south likes to get congested at night besides always. xD;

Captain Gundam
10-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Do schools start that early though? I figured they'd start getting back in session the Monday after ALA.

Gundam, for me its half an hour pending traffic, and the 5 south likes to get congested at night besides always. xD;

well winter session is on around that time. dont want to cause confilct in that case

Maguma
10-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Do schools start that early though? I figured they'd start getting back in session the Monday after ALA. Well for anyone still in grade school they should be out till february end of story. as for college students who knows.

well winter session is on around that time. dont want to cause confilct in that case True but like i said, who knows

DivineSage
10-01-2007, 11:57 PM
I'd prefer this to be after 4. I can do 4:00, but anything earlier than that becomes an issue for me. I probably won't even change into Fai until 3:30-ish.

kuroneko
10-02-2007, 12:19 AM
I dunno about colleges. Mine usually starts early, first or second week of January since it's Quarter system. But even for us, this year our winter term may start on Jan 2 but our instruction doesn't begin until the 7th, so it'd be a safe bet to assume all the Quarter system peeps are good to go.

Maguma
10-02-2007, 12:27 AM
i just got an email from ALA staff and they feel that the 4:00 slot would be just fine as an event so if anyone is worried about missing AMV contest then you wanna go with this time slot, if you don't care you can all debate amongst yourselves.

Captain Gundam
10-02-2007, 01:01 AM
i just got an email from ALA staff and they feel that the 4:00 slot would be just fine as an event so if anyone is worried about missing AMV contest then you wanna go with this time slot, if you don't care you can all debate amongst yourselves.

4 is ok with me. Might have to rush it but i'll see.

maggifan
10-02-2007, 01:13 AM
ok, 4:00 is fine! ^^

Maguma
10-02-2007, 01:14 AM
yea, so as of now the official date is 4:00 and unless something really impacting happens to change that number. it's sticking.

Hazel Chaz
10-02-2007, 02:28 AM
i also doubt that is going to happen. everyone on the list is 13 and over.

I think he meant 12th grade, not 12 years old...

Maguma
10-02-2007, 02:40 AM
I think he meant 12th grade, not 12 years old...

yea lol regardless. Time is set, end of story. now people sign up!

Ryoko-and-Yami
10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I never ever going to get to see an AMV contest... T-T This has to be the same day as the Clamp gathering. Because we want to be Sakura and Syaoran for the chess and the gathering.

Maguma
10-03-2007, 12:33 AM
isn't the clamp gathering on friday anyways? then afterwards come to the AMV contest

Ryoko-and-Yami
10-03-2007, 07:12 PM
isn't the clamp gathering on friday anyways? then afterwards come to the AMV contest

Isn't this going to be during the contest?

Maguma
10-03-2007, 07:32 PM
no. if the event is at 4:00 which it is currently scheduled at, the AMV contest is at 7:00

Hazel Chaz
10-03-2007, 09:00 PM
yea, so as of now the official date is 4:00 and unless something really impacting happens to change that number. it's sticking.

no. if the event is at 4:30 which it is currently scheduled at, the AMV contest is at 7:00

So it's 4 o'clock Friday, right? You'll have some people go out a little before 4 to stake down the chessboard?

Any objections to my listing "Cosplay Chess" as one of the things going on at the convention?

Maguma
10-04-2007, 08:59 AM
ooops yea, the event is at 4:00. and we'll be doing set up like 45 min before the match.

please do list it! the more people know the bigger the turn out, and if possible maybe a link to this thread for those who'd wanna register for the game.

mlarad
10-04-2007, 02:48 PM
hey maguma I have a preview shot of how the sash will look like!
Here is one for the white rook and white knight!!

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1285869

What do you think of them?

DivineSage
10-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Those look amazing! Great job!

Ryoko-and-Yami
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Those do look nice!

Maguma
10-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Those do you nice!

yo do speak well english Lawls?

haha they look lovely! thanks so much!

Captain Gundam
10-04-2007, 11:39 PM
wow great work on the sashes!
hope the ones for the black team looks are good too.

any one find a problem with wearing them?

doragon
10-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Oo, the sashes are coming out amazing so far :D Can't wait to see the rest of them ~

twilaa
10-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Er, if there's room left, I'd love to stand in as a pawn. Whichever color needs one, I'm fine with.

Friday? So then I'll be Kurenai.

Ryoko-and-Yami
10-05-2007, 10:16 PM
yo do speak well english Lawls?

haha they look lovely! thanks so much!

That's how you speak after few hours of sleep and lots of tests....

i went to the store looking for crowns. i saw two different King crowns, but no Queen crowns.

Captain Gundam
10-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey Maguma, listen how should the judging on the best death be?

Also is there going to be a post cosplay chess dinner like AX?

doragon
10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
There was a post Cosplay Chess dinner at AX? DDx *shakes fist*

kuroneko
10-08-2007, 03:51 PM
There was? D: Man, we always miss everything...

Maguma
10-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Yea there will be another dinner. Folks remember to pay attention to the front page!!!! PWEASE IT IS IMPORTANT!

as for judging on best Death, it should be original, based on character attitude and how well it goes over for both the crowd and the judges.

MokubaKaiba
10-08-2007, 07:56 PM
name- Alana Graves
Cosplay character- Mokuba Kaiba or Tobi
color of choice- Black
position of choice- Pawn

also my sister is joining her info is

name- Amber Graves
Cosplay character- Chii?
color of choice- White
position of choice- Pawn

-we also might be able to bring some chips/cookies

Ryoko-and-Yami
10-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Do you guys want to get crowns for the queen and king pieces? I saw some crowns for kings to buy but i haven't found ones cute for queens. I think swords or horses on the sticks would be funny for the knights. lol

maggifan
10-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Do you guys want to get crowns for the queen and king pieces? I saw some crowns for kings to buy but i haven't found ones cute for queens. I think swords or horses on the sticks would be funny for the knights. lol

mlarad is taking care of that! she is making the crowns for kings and queens, ect.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=124721&page=11

and this is a shot of her progress!

sakukodo
10-09-2007, 01:50 AM
cosplay:neji
color:black
position:pawn

Ryoko-and-Yami
10-09-2007, 09:16 PM
mlarad is taking care of that! she is making the crowns for kings and queens, ect.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=124721&page=11

and this is a shot of her progress!

Isn't she just making the sashes?

Sininen
10-09-2007, 09:50 PM
name: Laura
cosplay: I don't know yet (I'll pick one)
color: white
position: pawn

Captain Gundam
10-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Yea there will be another dinner. Folks remember to pay attention to the front page!!!! PWEASE IT IS IMPORTANT!

as for judging on best Death, it should be original, based on character attitude and how well it goes over for both the crowd and the judges.

got it. oh and should the dinner be after the game or about an hour later?

Maguma
10-10-2007, 12:53 AM
it depends. If we have the game at 4:00 it ends at 5:00, then quick mini shoot till 5:15 we can have like a 1 hour dinner with enough time for AMV contest

Thia Fayne
10-10-2007, 12:58 AM
It's going to be our first time playing Cosplay Chess! Sign us up, please! :3

Name: Thia Fayne
Color/Position: White Pawn
Cosplay: Sasori

Name: Doctor Blind
Color/Position: White Pawn
Cosplay: Deidara

... we were considering Naminé and Kairi, but figured they wouldn't be nearly so good at fighting. XD And colder, too, with the sun coming down.

LonelyOtaku
10-10-2007, 03:08 AM
White Side Rook Naruto

LonelyOtaku
10-10-2007, 03:11 AM
sorry...just relooked at the front...white pawn then if I cant be a main white piece..
maybe i can be a backup white piece?

Maguma
10-10-2007, 03:30 AM
For now you're on as a pawn.

Also folks, we need some people to handle some of the other jobs in order to make this a success. such as someone to tape the entire match

Armless Wookiee
10-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Would like to sign up as a pawn of the black side since that is all that is left don't know what character for sure i will be doing but for now put me down as Chouji

Maguma
10-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Players Updated.

Folks! We needs Donations!!! Tables Chairs, and Water!! Water is very important cus it will keep us cosplayers STANDING and we wont pass out. If I must I will not allow anyone on the board unless they have atleast one bottle of water for themselves during the match or on their person during the match. Fatigue is something that will affect ANYONE in this kind of game.

as for other donations. Donations of prizes, donations of foods, donations of easels or something in which we can put up a sign upon would be nice! So please please PLEASE, if you have something to donate we can surely use it. (Music also would be great)

sakukodo
10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
i can donate some chips if you want but the other stuff i cant get food is basically it and i can bring some extra water bottles

MokubaKaiba
10-10-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm bringing my ipod and the portable speakers i have some great anime music and also once again i'll be bringing chips/cookies and stuff like that

Maguma
10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
i can donate some chips if you want but the other stuff i cant get food is basically it and i can bring some extra water bottles

Water would be GREATLY appreciated. If anything should be brought over and over, its WATER

sakukodo
10-10-2007, 10:13 PM
ok will do ill bring some water in that case

FullMetal Ninja
10-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I'll be one!! I'll be Edward!

Maguma
10-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Added

MokubaKaiba
10-11-2007, 12:07 AM
My friend is going to be a black pawn and cosplaying as Miroku he doesn't have a cosplay.com name so yeah =O his name can be Taco.....

ZOMG its Payman
10-12-2007, 01:10 AM
I'll be a piece if you still need someone :)

prob be Shinji (yes everyone is going to laugh at me for being Shinji so :bigcry: )

Maguma
10-12-2007, 09:38 AM
My friend is going to be a black pawn and cosplaying as Miroku he doesn't have a cosplay.com name so yeah =O his name can be Taco..... A real name would be nice to have since we'll be using this as a Checkin List to see who's shown up and Who hasn't.

prob be Shinji (yes everyone is going to laugh at me for being Shinji so :bigcry: ) haha ok.

Pretty Sammy
10-12-2007, 12:07 PM

prob be Shinji (yes everyone is going to laugh at me for being Shinji so :bigcry: )

Oh, we announcers are going to hit you so hard. Cosplaying as Shinji at this event is just asking to get dissed.

(Just kidding! XD I can't wait to see it! :))

Maguma
10-12-2007, 12:11 PM
rock his world

tsumikuroi
10-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Topic: Worst Anime Jobs
"Hi, I'm Shinji's therapist."

Sorry, had to put that in. XD

Due to time and money constraints (particularly pertaining to where I can stay for three days in Pasadena), I may only be able to come to ALA for Cosplay Chess, if at all. But I will make every attempt to come to Cosplay Chess at the very least! I swear on the 40% finished coffin in my bedroom. I'll tote in water bottles and hopefully a lot more than the scant 16-20 I brought to AX!

Maguma
10-12-2007, 02:00 PM
thanks!! you do so much fer us! you rocketh!

tsumikuroi
10-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Don't give me that. ^^;; *blushes*

I'm not doing that much, ya know. *scurries off to catch up on homework*

Ryoko-and-Yami
10-12-2007, 08:26 PM
tengo una pregunta.
Are we going to have this one more scripted out, so we know how to react to each other?

Maguma
10-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, We will. But In order to do so we'll need proper information of each character. and we'll try to post that information, Or if it helps each player should post the info of their character here in the thread

Ryoko-and-Yami
10-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, last time you didn't release the information for each character.

Captain Gundam
10-13-2007, 12:41 AM
or at all...

I'm going to start making the list of pieces attending soon. Just going to wait until there is some backup pieces in play

Hazel Chaz
10-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Water would be GREATLY appreciated. If anything should be brought over and over, its WATER

Why don't you all just troop through the con suite and grab a bottle on your way to the chessboard?

Maguma
10-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Why don't you all just troop through the con suite and grab a bottle on your way to the chessboard?

Organizing everyone at AX was our hardest task since many didn't show up till minutes before the start time. So unless this time everyone remembers to ACTUALLY go to the suite and grab one, it may not happen, plus many people, like my self, go through water at cons like water goes through sand. so extra water AT the event will be nice and needed.

Hazel Chaz
10-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Organizing everyone at AX was our hardest task since many didn't show up till minutes before the start time. So unless this time everyone remembers to ACTUALLY go to the suite and grab one, it may not happen, plus many people, like my self, go through water at cons like water goes through sand. so extra water AT the event will be nice and needed.

Good point. Would it help if we asked the hotel to set up a water service outside at, say, 4 o'clock?

Also you might want to have someone collect cell numbers for the 16 white pieces, and have someone else do the same for the black. Giving out your number would be optional, but then someone can start calling people 3-ish to remind them...

Captain Gundam
10-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Good point. Would it help if we asked the hotel to set up a water service outside at, say, 4 o'clock?

Also you might want to have someone collect cell numbers for the 16 white pieces, and have someone else do the same for the black. Giving out your number would be optional, but then someone can start calling people 3-ish to remind them...

that could work. i would suggest texting instead of calling though to get things done faster

kuroneko
10-13-2007, 01:44 AM
*can't recieve text messages* >.>