PDA

View Full Version : My first NDK.

Multi-Facets
09-03-2007, 12:29 AM
Hello, everyone. In thirteen days I will be attending my very first convention of any kind- yes, total con virgin here. I'll be buying a one-day pass at the door, and naturally I'm a teensy bit nervous (but also excited, because hey, first con, squeeee!). Is there any advice you can give on what I should expect from Nan Desu Kan my first time around? Are there any must-see events besides the guest speakers? Are food and drinks expensive? Is there any guest/cosplay protocol I need to follow?

Any help y'all can give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time. b^n_n^

D001
09-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Hi and welcome :D I'm sure you'll have an awesome time.

Show up eaaaaaaaaarly on Saturday if that is the day you are going since you are going to buy your pass at the door. The line can get very long.

If you come on Friday, do not park in the lot across the street from the hotel to the east. That is parking for an office building and they will be working that day.

Food/drinks are expensive if you buy in the hotel proper. There is a bar that serves food after 4p and a nice resturant as well as a gift/sandwich shop. There's a Garcia's across the street and a Wendy's just down the road. If you don't mind driving, there are several resturants of varying quality and expense throughout the DTC. Just Google it. Do browse through several links, however, to get a full idea of what is there. Or, if you have time prior to the con, just drive up and down Bellview and Ulster and some of the other roads close by to get a feel for what is available.

Personally, I'd say that the two must-see's are the Costume Contest/Masquarade/Cosplay Contest and the AMVs, both of which are on Saturday. The panels list is not up yet (unless it has been posted in the last two hours), so just check the NDK website closer to time to see if there's anything you'd like to check out. Also, upon purchasing your pass, you'll get a schedule, so take a few minutes to figure out what looks awesome to you.

Friday doesn't really get started until the evening, though the Dealer's Room is usually opening in the early to mid-afternoon. Saturday is the big day. Sunday is the sleepy day, there's still stuff going on, but you can tell its the last day.

Just be respectful of yourself and others and you should be fine. Don't glomp, ask for permission to take pictures/touch a costume or prop/hug/etc. Don't speak loudly in front of the panel rooms or the video rooms, as people are trying to enjoy the panel or anime. Share the video games controller. ~_^ Don't cut line or push in the Dealer's Room. If you have any props/large wings/etc, don't put up a fuss about checking them before entering the Dealer's Room. They'll be safe and you'll understand the safety reasons for checking once you get into the room itself. And above all: enjoy yourself! :D

Are you going to cosplay? If so, who will you be and from what series? Anything you are hoping to find at NDK?

Perhaps we'll run into each other, as I'll be there all weekend. My schedule limitations are only what my body can handle and what the lightrail/bus says I can do. ~_^

D

Multi-Facets
09-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the advice. ^n_n^

Yeah, I'll be going on Saturday; it's ideal because I don't work on the weekends, and that's the only time I can get a ride. (I can drive, but driving around Denver would make me so nervous.) I didn't know it was possible to leave the con proper and come back after lunch without getting in trouble. Mmm, maybe I should pack something?

How early is "early", come to think of it? I'm from Monument, so I'll probably have to get up at the a**crack of dawn, won't I? (Damn it! So not a morning person....)

Oh yes, I will be cosplaying. Since it's my first-ever con I want the whole experience. I bet you won't have heard of the guy I'll be playing as, though: Choujin Locke, from the manga of the same name.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f55/Multi-Facets/Locke_.jpg That's him here. He's also the guy in my icon. My costume won't be anything fancy -mostly denim- but my twin is going to have a ball doing my hair, I tell you what. (Yay I'm gonna be a bleached green-blond!)

Curucar
09-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I think that THIS (http://www.ndkdenver.org/forum/index.php/topic,579.0.html) is the most comprehensive 'new to a con' advice thread of all time. XD And it's specific-ish to NDK!

Multi-Facets
09-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow. ^0_0^ Big list. Thank you. ^n_n^

D001
09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Sure thing! Glad to help. This will be my third (and potentially last *clings*) NDK, as I am moving to Japan in October, and I don't know if I'll be coming back to Denver. NDK really is a great convention, though. I've only been to four conventions (three NDK and one Starfest) and have by far enjoyed NDK the most.

As for how early...I'm not quite sure. I think any of my friends who have needed to purchase a pass on Saturday have ended up in line around 11ish? So maybe attempt to get to the convention around 10?

And cool costume! (and denim rocks, my Schuldig jacket last year was made out of fashion denim ^_^) I can't wait to see it ^_^ I'll be Sanzo (from Saiyuki) this year, so if you see me, come and say hello! ~_^

D

Tenkage-chan
09-03-2007, 09:04 PM
My big conventions tips;

1.) Don't succumb to the dreaded "First-Day Madness!!!"
2.) Remember, the conventions ninjas are your friends.

Multi-Facets
09-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Okay then. Let's just hope I get the right Sanzo. ^n_n^

PS: What's "First Day Madness"?

Reozu
09-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Great to see another cosplay coming to join us ^^ All i can say is just follow what everyone said and you'll be just fine XD I'll be there as Kiba from Naruto and Satoshi from DNAngel, so maybe we'll meet up at some point ^^

Edeamous
09-04-2007, 06:53 AM
Finally popping the Nan Decherry. Well it'll be good to have you- I'll be dressed as Vahs or Tres, not easy to mis sme :3

69naruto
09-04-2007, 08:08 AM
cool another NDK rookie like me. I be there as 2 differnt narutos. Hope u have loads of fun and we can run into each other

Tenkage-chan
09-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Okay then. Let's just hope I get the right Sanzo. ^n_n^

PS: What's "First Day Madness"?

*sighs, and goes into "story" mode* First-Day Madness is the dreaded insanity brought on by awe of the Dealer's Room. The way it usually works is that, immediately upon entering, the attendee is so overwhelmed by the amazing things in the dealer's room, that they are struck by a near-unstoppable desire to spend money. This continues until they have none left. And I mean none. Nothing for food, nothing for emergencies, nadda. And there are a great-many temptations in the Dealer's Room, so always come guarded for it. First-timer's are especially susceptible to FDM-syndrome (I should know). Keep some cash safely hidden away- from yourself- before entering the Dealer's Room, even if it's just fifty bucks.

FDM-syndrome hit me at AX 2002 (or was it '03?). Spent $1000.00 in a matter of hours... The only saving grace I had? I'd been saving up for AX all year, so I did have back-up money. FDM is a dangerous thing, I tell ya...

TabbyR
09-04-2007, 02:16 PM
First, as said above, come early as possible to get your badge and to have as much time as possible to mingle with people.

Stay hydrated, even if it is just for one day. NDK will wear you out and with all the running around you will need it.

If going to the Dealer's Room, make sure you follow the rules. It can be crammed in there at times so make sure you walk around at least once before buying stuff so you know where/what each place is and what they are selling. Also make sure you do not spend ALL AT ONCE. Often times Dealers will put out new stuff as the others are being sold so make sure you break it up into two visits or so.

To maximize the experience, make sure you get a brochure with your badge so you can have listings for all the times things start.

Be camera ready! Many (including myself) are going to be taking a lot of pictures so be ready for it. And be prepared to curve around people doing photoshoots in the halls. :)

D001
09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
*sighs, and goes into "story" mode* First-Day Madness is the dreaded insanity brought on by awe of the Dealer's Room. The way it usually works is that, immediately upon entering, the attendee is so overwhelmed by the amazing things in the dealer's room, that they are struck by a near-unstoppable desire to spend money. This continues until they have none left. And I mean none. Nothing for food, nothing for emergencies, nadda. And there are a great-many temptations in the Dealer's Room, so always come guarded for it. First-timer's are especially susceptible to FDM-syndrome (I should know). Keep some cash safely hidden away- from yourself- before entering the Dealer's Room, even if it's just fifty bucks.

FDM-syndrome hit me at AX 2002 (or was it '03?). Spent $1000.00 in a matter of hours... The only saving grace I had? I'd been saving up for AX all year, so I did have back-up money. FDM is a dangerous thing, I tell ya...

OMG!!! Such VERY sound advice ^_^;; I myself spent $500 (I think? ^_^;;; ) during my first con over the course of three days. I had to skimp on my bills for the next three months to make up for it. ^_^;;; So not a cool thing to have admit, but there you have it.

What I did the following year and now continue to this day is to bring my credit/debit card to use solely for food and drinks and nothing else I mean NOTHING. Pocky and candy are NOT included under the definition of food. Nothing in that Dealer's Room is considered food or drink in any way. Then I pull out cash. I budget prior to the con to see what I can afford and take out less than that. ie -- If I can afford $300, I take out $250; if I can afford $500, I take out $400; if I can afford $150, I take out $125, etc. This way, if you see that thing that omg you MUST totally have and you are $10 short, you can still get it, or decide that it isn't worth it. And hey, maybe if you do stick utterly to your budget, then you have money to begin your next cosplay with, or pick up more volumes of that manga you picked up at the con, etc.

To prevent yourself from dragging around rediculous amounts of cash, which is begging to be stolen, you can keep it in your hotel room/car/home/etc where it is safe (ie -- not visible and no one knows it is there, luggage locks are a happy thing if sharing a room) until you need it and bring just $50 to the Dealer's Room each time. If you need more, excuse yourself and go get more or come back later.

So, yes, extremely sound advice to not go into the "First Day Madness" ~_^

D

Multi-Facets
09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Thank you all. Very good advice indeed. (In the case of staying hydrated, is it possible to bring your own water bottles?)

Let's hope I can come into some cash, too, just in case.

TabbyR
09-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Thank you all. Very good advice indeed. (In the case of staying hydrated, is it possible to bring your own water bottles?)

Let's hope I can come into some cash, too, just in case.

Yes do bring your own water bottle. There are water coolers stationed around the hotel to fill up on it. Many people bring their own food or drinks so feel free to take what you need.

Just FYI, the dealer's room I believe only takes cash because it's quick and a lot of them are not equipped with debit/credit scanners. So bring cash as much as possible and if you need to go to the bank before hand to withdraw some because the hotel often runs out of money from the heavy use of ATM's. :bigtu:

Multi-Facets
09-05-2007, 04:12 AM
(pales a little) Crap. I wonder if I can cash my paychecks instead.

But anyway, it's good to know I can bring my own refreshments. Some places are very stringent about outside food and water (especially water).

Tenkage-chan
09-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Eh, don't worry about it too much, the Mariott's people seem to be okay with it. Besides, there are tons of water fountains set up around the con, just bring a water bottle and refill it as you go. But, whatever you do, don't drink the bottled water in the rooms! Sneak-charges, I say!

Me, I'm bein' a lunatic. Bringin' my electric tea kettle. So I can have tea and instant ramen, all I like mua-ha!

Of course, it is always a good idea to go out to at least one nice dinner, while you're at the con. Totally worth it. Plus, the restaurant at the convention center is really great!

D001
09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Some vendors in the Dealer's Room takes cards, and some take cash. My first con, I pretty much only bought stuff with my card. Just be prepared for either run into a vendor that does not take plastic or to wait for a while in order for your payment to be processed, as a lot of the vendors only have one processing machine. ^_^;; Cash definitely is the best way to go, being the quickest and easiest, however, you can use plastic if you need/want to. ^_^

D

Multi-Facets
09-06-2007, 02:32 AM
So checks are a no-go too?

PS: My costume! It is finished! ^n_n^
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f55/Multi-Facets/?action=view&current=DSC00126.jpg

D001
09-06-2007, 06:58 PM
I don't think any vendors would take checks. They want immediate or verified funds. Checks are neither immediate nor verified (the approval process for checks is only to see if you've bounced checks, not if you have the funds).

lilacwire
09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
No checks. I've never had trouble with a dealer not taking cards. So many people buy hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise - it would be impossible to ask that many teenagers to have that in cash. XD

My tip for the con is to introduce yourself to new people. I've met so many amazing friends that way. Cosplayers are such great people. Don't be intimidated by someone with a costume that you feel is jaw-dropping great. I used to be, got over it, and love my friends with their jaw-dropping costumes. ^^

Multi-Facets
09-06-2007, 09:14 PM
No checks and try to meet new people, got it. Thank you both. ^n_n^

lxtrix
09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
-deleted-

Tenkage-chan
09-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Everyone says bring money. (my first time too) But wouldn't everything they sell there, they sell all the time at stores and online? I personally buy my anime at Animeniacs or Ebay just because i can afford it. I wouldn't mind a few plushies. I'm not big on posters or anything like that because my room is constantly changing. If manga were cheaper there i would consider buying it theere. Otherwise i don't plan on spending much.

As far as food and stuff goes on the other side of that highway bridge where the light rail station is, is where my older bother liives. I'm just going to be staying there the weekend.

Of course you can! But there's something about the Dealer's Room that you just can't get at an on-line store. ((Has something to do with the cause of First-Day Madness, I'm sure.)) More importantly, the Dealer's Room is where you to find the things you can't find on-line, like that certain anime soundtrack, or that one figure you've been looking for. So, yes, bring money. The real fun of a con is seeing something that interests you in the viewing rooms or in a a panel, and then being able to find that something in the Dealer's Room. So, while you can find that stuff on-line, the convenience of being able to do one-stop-shopping is near unbeatable.

My tips for that is this: Price-check the stuff you plan to get on-line, first. Then, you can compare at the Dealer's Room. If you don't find a better deal, then go ahead and buy on-line. But still keep spending money, 'cuz there could always be something that you weren't expecting to find.

D001
09-06-2007, 09:50 PM
A lot of times, the dealers DO have deals. Not to mention that there are things that might be brand new and you can't get them in stores quite yet. Given that it is your first convention, I really would set aside some extra money, if I were you. The tempation is great! ~_^ If you don't spend it, then that's awesome. Now you've got extra money you can do something else with. I just believe that it is better to be prepared rather than sorry. But you also know what you plan on doing. ^_^

And yay for being able to stay with your brother!!! :D That is awesome (and totally saves you money ^_^). I live fairly close, so I'll just be staying in my house, like every other day ~_^

D

Tenkage-chan
09-06-2007, 09:57 PM
And yay for being able to stay with your brother!!! :D That is awesome (and totally saves you money ^_^). I live fairly close, so I'll just be staying in my house, like every other day ~_^

D

Wish I could do that, but my house is a two-hour drive from Denver... I don't mind, though. I usually see NDK as a sort of vacation from home. :bigtu:

D001
09-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Wish I could do that, but my house is a two-hour drive from Denver... I don't mind, though. I usually see NDK as a sort of vacation from home. :bigtu:

Hee!! Funny, because I wish I had the money to stay in the hotel ~_^ Its nice to live close, but I'd like to be in the thick of it. At least to see what it is like. :D But yes, very fortunate as far as my back account is concerned. ~_^

lilacwire
09-08-2007, 12:30 AM
My dad lives a few miles away, but staying at the hotel is part of the experience!! Plus...parties. XD