PDA

View Full Version : AnimeFEST 2007 - The Aftermath

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Now that the con is over, here it is, the after-con discussion. :3 Was it fun? Obnoxious? Disorganized? Chaotic? Here goes mine:

Cosplay: Now, I can't vouch for that because I crashed my room during the competition, but I didn't enter because the time confusion made my spidey sense tingle :x

Dealers: Was it me or was this how the dealers was this year? Lemme clarify; Things were hard to find and barely anything was on sale, if anything was on sale it was a select few mainstream animes. For example, I went looking for Full Moon wo Sagashite manga, and I only found it at 2 tables. One was full price, the other was just a dollar less. Knowing that half price books existed I didn't buy anything. But, the good thing is, the dealers room had more variety this year ^_^ And it was back in the old room and expanded! I just wish that security did something about the giant crowd screaming and running through the halls...

Events: Things ran pretty according to plan as far as I was concerned.

Hotel: We got the atrium part of the hotel this year, we were always in the skyline. But hey, we were on the same floor as Rose & Concolor! Much fun~~~ But it'd be great if people didn't slam their doors so hard and weren't screaming at midnight....people do attempt sleeping y'know :S

And that Christian group here this year, I was amazed that they weren't throwing bibles at us and calling us hethans, in fact they seemed rather interested in cosplays...except for my sister mistaking an actual minister for a cosplayer!

My number one pet peeve though were the 12-15 year old girls wearing the most sluttiest things on earth that weren't cosplay. I know some cosplay can be low-cut, but it wasn't cosplay. It was just short skirts, tube tops, etc. My high school doesn't even have such a big problem with that O_o; I can understand the fact that their parents aren't there and that they can show their true colors, but I saw probably.....at least 10 half naked underaged girls...do they not understand that this is a CONVENTION? Not a Pussy Cat Doll concert? Blasphemy! And I'm ashamed to say that a good 75% of those girls were from my high school that I don't associate myself with, so I'm not apologizing on their behalf \:

Anna
09-03-2007, 12:53 PM
The Cosplay went okay. Took forever though, the whole fashion show thing they tried to do was a bit hectic, there was this one Naruto group that was SCREAMING into the microphone, and I missed my train because it ran so long. Otherwise the Cosplay was awesomesauce. Lot's of great costumes, and good skits, and they had staff people running around making sure everyone had water. And Eternalserenity won best costume for her Queen Esther she's been working on for a good year which made me happy.

And for dealer rooms, it kind of felt underwhelming for the most part. I found the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/ When they Cry DvD I'd been wanting, (AWESOME horror Anime) and a Yuna figurine I've been looking for, for years. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/TheAnna/t_2947_01.jpg) So I did leave satisfied, but the overall selection wasn't too great.

As for general crowd stuff I was hugged more this year than any other anime con I've ever been to combined. I don't know if it was just because I had a Chrno Crusade costume, or the increased amount of younger teenagers. They all asked first which is a big plus though.

All-in-all a great Con though I think XD .

Post-It Ninja
09-03-2007, 01:37 PM
This con was definately understaffed... There was a lack of security that kind of had some people confused, and let others run a little crazy... I mean, there was no weapon check, which really didn't bother me, but it was rather confusing and I think some people thought they would get in trouble when they couldn't find it.

Cosplay did take forever, but I think they all do...

People were generally friendly, as usual. That's one of my favorite parts of AnimeFest =)

The dealer's room was larger and there was more room to walk, which was a plus, but I agree that I don't think there was as much of a selection as usual...

Some of the locations for events and such were confusing because they kept changing them, but I guess that can't be helped.

Overall, I think it was a good con, but not the best AnimeFest I've been to?

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Right, but the past 2 years there was only Naruto & Bleach. It's definitely a step-up this year at the dealers ^_^

demonninja
09-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I had a pretty good time. I wasn't really surprised when I din't win the cosplay against queen ester. My eye was bugging me with my eyepiece poking me while we waited forever in the cosplay line-up. All the staff I met we're really nice except for this one chick wearing a corset and a tiny top hat tring to line all us cosplayers up. She definatly had something up he butt. I was having to use Karin as a pillow for an hour while we waited on the results.
It was still a fun con. Hope everyone else had a good time and got home safe.

Darth Sunshine
09-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I didn't spend much time in the dealers room this year, but I was very pleased with their selection. Bit confused as to why those earth energy people were there.

Cosplay was much better this year. I didn't really like having so many walkons at once though, it takes away from the experience for the cosplayers. Things ran much smoother, and the judges got back faster than last year.

I was on floor seven and it was insane. 0_o People were running up and down the halls, screaming and causing a pretty good ruckus. I wasn't there when it happened, but security came and warned everyone that they could be thrown out. There was also an a rather loud argument in a room nearby.

I was highly amused by the Christian singles convention. I was a bit worried that they might be conservative-bible-thumping-southern-evangelists, but they seemed to be rather amused by the entire event. I was walking around in my Midna costume and one of them looked me up and down and said "DAMN!! What is this "anime"?!" I didn't stop giggling about that for an hour or so.

XxITACHIxX
09-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Yo anyone got pics frm animefest?
if so email them to xxxitachixxx@gmail.com plzz thankz

Cloud Z Strife
09-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Cosplay: Yesh it did run really behind . . we were there a good time ahead and prejudging probobly should have started when we arrived . . . there was a lot of sitting time . . .

There was one person who was working cosplay who I personaly didnt like due to her rude attitude towards the cosplayers . . . she screamed and yelled at us like we were morons and I felt that it was really unessisary for her to be so rude . . .

The whole four point run way thing was a bit off but hey we got threw and that was just fine . . . .

Full promps to Serenity aka Queen Ester from Trinity Blood . . . I was in awe the whole time of her work .. .

BTW. . .Demonninja I was the Amano Squall in front of you . . ^ ^

Dealers: It was pretty ok but nothing really struck my fancy . . . I only got one thing from dealers and it was cause I had never seen it before . ..
I did like the fact the art show was bigger and not as crampt as it usualy had been . . .
one thing that did throw me off was the Autograph tables in the dealer room . . . just odd but if its the only space . ..

Panels:It was hard for me at first finding panel rooms cause I was not use to the new set up . . . but it was good having them all in one single area to moving from panel to panel was easy . . .
I loved some of the panels very good times . . . QUINTIN FLYNN IS AWESOME

Videos: I didnt go to alot of the videos but my friends did and loved it . . I get to go and look for D-grey man now . .

Hotel/People: The hotel staff couldnt have been nicer, they asked us if we were having a good time and even when we needed something ASAP they were quick to get it to out room. . .
People in general were good there was a bit of drama and I could have gone with out the loud large mob-like groups . . . . there was a few times where my friend was glomped from behind and nearly taken to the floor which she wasnt really happy about . . . but oh well . . it didnt spoil the overall good time of con

RAVE: I heard that the rave was really STINKY so I stayed far away from it . .

sasuke_fangirl
09-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Afest was uber fun for me. X3

I saw alot of great cosplays. My costume took forever to make and get prepared in time. @___@ The thing that made me laugh was that someone called me "Cat in the Hat" when I was cosplaying Cait Sith from Final Fantasy.

The Shinigami march was murder on my feet but it was fun I guess.

Does anyone know what happened to the DDR and Parapara machines? My friends and I looked everywhere for them and couldn't find them.

angelzxdemonz
09-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Cosplay: Is it just me or was it much shorter than last year? o__o i felt that there werent as many skits this year, and alot more walkons xD I was really happy though, i saw another angel sanctuary cosplayer (my friend and i were the big winged people) which made my day, and the belldandy i met in line for the cosplay was sooo nice! <3 Costumes were amazing! the Wolf's rain Darcia and Queen Ester and Abel made me so happyyy lalalaaa

Dealer Room: hahaha. there was a dealer selling green suprise bags and my friend and i finally bought one...and ended up buying two more o__o
I didnt really see anything special this year, but it was nice that there was more space to walk between the rooms

Events: ehh, im sure they were great :D i didnt really keep track other than the cosplay.

Artist Alley: was GREAT i saw so many great artists this year, and i hung out there more because my friend got a booth(she sold bookmarks and prints!) everyone was nice, ikkicon people, the sora drawing badges, the REALLY NICE ART that was behind us that i forgot the name of the artist but i bought about 5 prints etc. Lighting was sort of bad upstairs, hard to draw/color

Hotel People: they were soo niceee. even though i looked like a freak and they probably thought i was one, when i asked for something they would be like "Ill call the front desk right away for you ma'am, but im sure theres a lost and found" or something like that. It was a bit hard for rooms since they were booked full, but they managed on sunday to give us two rooms near eachother.

good con overall, but i didnt feel as excited as the years before
i decided i couldnt take wings and bladed bows onto the dart...so i got a ride home with a friend xD (what should i do with them now o__o) and the back and feet pains are all better! hooraayyy~~~

Miles
09-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Best con experience I've had in a while.

The cosplay contest was the most controversial thing I encountered. I didn't like the way it was run, for one, and even though the judging was much faster than before, it still took forever. The prejudging was a very good addition, so the judges have more time to closely analyze costumes and determine the quality. I did not, however, like the "fashion show" style at all, and if it reappears, I may not. There were a few amazing skits, namely the Detail to Perfect, Twinzik, and Miroku skits.

The con itself is so much more laid back, with a lot more room, less elevator hell, less drama, and four days of convention fun.

Overall, AnimeFEST is one of my favorite conventions and seems to be improving little by little every year.

cidbram
09-03-2007, 07:07 PM
2nd con to go to, 1st AnimeFEST, and I gotta say that I had a blast. Only downfall for me was the Naruto shoot was outside where it was really cloudy, so my pics weren't the greatest of quality, I know that for sure.

Probably the best aspect was, well, everything. The dealer's room had plenty of walking space, cosplaying with my friends was excellent, and the whole feel of the con in general was nice. Can't wait for next year ---> ^_^

NowhereMan
09-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Anyone else found it hilarious when the Jesus cosplayer was walking through that religious con.

vehira
09-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Cosplay: Dear god, we were so nervous XD;; We couldn't hear our audio at all, or anyone else's at that. I'm just really glad that my Reno and I don't have same-ish sounding voices XD;; Our Demy did fantastic; it was his first con ever :3 And I know that yall loved him as much as us <3 The cutie pie~

Dealer's Room: Only got in once for not too long due to Cosplay and working Registration. But it looked okay, I didn't really want to buy anything more than the two things I got in there.

Events: As in Quinton Flynn? I can die happily =.= And all the other voice actors, but I cosplay Axel, so, yeah. I so got my boot signed and enough hugs and laughs to last me :3

Artist Alley: Made me wish I had more time to look around T.T I spent the rest of my money right before we left Monday on one booth, and I'm happy with what I got :3

Hotel People: I liked them :3 Except for when they caught us going up and down the escalators for the hell of it XD;;; And FYI, the people involved in the 7th floor screaming and whatnot have gone through emotional HELL and back. I apologize on their behalf, though I don't know the entire story.

I loved the con, I loved the people, I loved working Registration. It's the funnest thing ever and this con is most surely one of my favorites :3 I honestly don't think I can go to a con and not volunteer now, though XD;; It's just so fun! Well...registration, at least :3

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah, the new set up for the panels kinda bothered me, but hey, it was way bigger! (: And the autographs were in the dealers because of the last minute christian group, and that's why the game room was shooed away into a corner I presume as well.

I was on floor seven and it was insane. 0_o People were running up and down the halls, screaming and causing a pretty good ruckus. I wasn't there when it happened, but security came and warned everyone that they could be thrown out. There was also an a rather loud argument in a room nearby.
Yeah, it was midnight and I was going to bed on Saturday. That was the worst of it. I almost thrust open my door and gave my 2 cents. I don't wanna know what happened but it was nuts u_u; Slamming doors, screaming, loud knocking, running, etc. The atrium is soooo noisy, I kinda missed the skyline, but hey, c'est la vie.

Miss_Mikado
09-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Hotel: I agree with everyone on this. The Hotel staff and room service were very sweet. ^_^

I enjoyed almost everything. I was a bit surprised that DDR and Para Para wasn't at the con this year. T_T Yet, I was happy to find the Para Para group. XD And the gaming room is big as usual. So, it was fun going there and play Smash brothers and Guitar Hero.

I loved the cosplay. The contest was funny and entertaining. ^^ So many awsome outfits I saw. I was happy of how my Sasuke outfit turned out. XD

Let's see,..oh yes the guest and Rave. Voice actors (all of them) are so kind and fun. I enjoyed the Rave. Greg Ayres was amazing, even during that stupid fire alarm thing. My friend was there when it happen and everyone thought that was part of the Rave. XD

Overall: The con was great. Even though last year was the bomb, this year was fun. :) So, no complaints here. ^_^

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Yesh, last year bombed....and there was DDR in the game room, just no para para, but people did that in the artist alley with a boombox....

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Hahhaah I was the one that brought my CD player and played the macerana that kept stopping... THAT WAS A BLAST!!!! and just seeing people join in on it to made me more excited... even when it stopped for a little bit...

I enjoyed the dealers room, I bought an Inuyasha doll that they marked down from 25 to 20 dollars on Sunday from one of the stores.. so that made me really happy! I was impressed with the selection as well... and all of the non anime stores that they had.

It wasn't all Naruto and bleach! which made me happy because I bought some Haruhi suzumiya stuff and Inuyasha stuff.

The cosplay contest DID take forever.... but at least they didn't keep us for 4 hours after the rehersal. I enjoyed myself being on stage as Sumomo for all of those people. It really made my day to see and here everyones reactions.

The food selection was okay and the prices okay, at least they had something for us to eat that was alot cheaper then the actual hotel cafe upstairs.

hmmm I don't think I have any complaints... or non that I can think of at the moment...

Teh Hobbit
09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Cosplay: I actually found the contest to be very well worked out. Me and my friends were the ROFLMAO group, the only issue we really had was, A. I was sick, and B. Because of that it seemed to take forever. In fact I ended up leaving and lying down before the results were even anounced, but I was honestly beyond happy when I got the call from my partners about the contest results. It was incredibly fun and well organized from my POV.

Dealers Room: Hmm, the dealers room was a little meh. The selection was lacking. The only real amusement I found in the dealers room was the open spaces they had in which me and and my friends proceeded to chicken dance and time warp in.

Rave: The rave was very VERY much so disapointing. It just didn't seem very put together. Though I have a feeling my judgement on it is based upon the confrontation with the head of security. I was selling glow sticks and she rampaged me, and was incredibly harsh. I honestly was freaking out. She said that I owed her $200 for selling stuff at /her/ convention and not having a dealers license. I'm 16....I can't get a dealers license!!!! I didn't even know I couldn't sell glow sticks out of hand!!! Not to mention I wasn't using booth space or anything like that. To add to it, I saw like five other people selling glow sticks but of course I was the one to be threatened. She could have been alot more civil in her actions but, no she screamed at me and talked down to me like a five year old. I was polite to her through the whole ordeal, but all in all she seriously needed to take a chill pill and proceed with respect. She handled it totally wrong I was taken aback that the security was so disrespectful to someone who didn't even know they were in the wrong. ((Sorry for the rant))

Hotel: I very much so appreciated the staff and how quickly we got into our room. They were very kind and always cheerful. Totally one of the best hotel staying experiences I've had.

Goldfinch
09-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Cosplay: I, too, didn't watch much of the contest. I was pretty beat at the time, but I enjoyed a lot of what I saw.

Dealers: Maybe it's just because my taste for what to buy at conventions is changing, but I didn't seem to be able to find as much of what I wanted compared to cons past. For instance, while there was a sea of manga, all I wanted was ANYTHING written by Osamu Tezuka but alas, there was none to be found. Don't get me wrong, though, I thought that the dealer room was pretty nice overall, with lots of room between tables and a good variety of vendors.

Events: I rather liked the new location of the panels this year as opposed to last year because they were closer to everything else and easier to locate. The only thing I really didn't like about the panel location was the fact that some of the panel rooms only had a removable barrier in between them, thus rendering some panels incredibly difficult to hear due to noisy neighbors.

Hotel: Our family stayed at the hotel and I thought that the service was great. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

Overall, I had a really great con. My biggest general beef was all the "free hugs" signage everywhere. I had a couple of them approach me in the hallway and I almost resorted to foul language trying to get them to back off. They were unsightly, embarrassing, and I wish that security had done something about it. I'm seeing a lot more of this sort of behaviour at cons, and I plan on being more proactive about it as a con-goer in the future.

Kikala
09-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Oh man, this Afest has got to be one of my favorite conventions so far, Afest was always one of my favorites, because I love my staff head and everyone working in Ops, so that was a lot of fun again.
Also, I had SO much fun with my roomies. :D It was my first time to /not/ stay with my everyday friends and getting to stay with my con buddies. I always like staying out late, but none of my friends really like doing that, so I was happy to get to do that this con.

I probably have a lot more to say... but I'm pretty much dead tired and going to sleep now. >.<

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
What I don't like is that they banned signs, and when people had signs for gatherings it wasn't allowed, but people with signs of saying "free hugs" or "lonely otaku" was allowed o_O;

angelzxdemonz
09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
KIKALA I DIDNT SEE YOU IN YOUR SERAS OUTFIT ; o ;

that made me sad D:

the ROFLMAO skit was awesome hobbit! XD you guys did great :D

Koda89
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Cosplay Contest: Well....to be honest, besides the walk-ons, I hated the contest. Not to say the skits were bad, I couldn't HEAR the skits! I was so far back that I could only hear the Miroku skit, period, and thus...I sort of, fell asleep during most of the skits and left after all the skits were finished.

Panels: I loved all the panels I went to, especially the panels hosted by voice actors, mainly the Ayres brothers. I loved Chris' stage combat workshop and anime directing panels and Greg's own panels.

Dealer's Room: I LOVED the dealer's room, mainly for the Melon Bread and this one dealer that had a lot of figures I wanted for cheap. Sadly, this is the only con I went to without drinking a drop of ramune. There was just not enough ramune this year...

Hotel/Staff/Everything else: Incredible, very relaxed, very nice.

This year, me and two of my friends went without any of our controlling schedule freak friends and had a lot more fun, because we got to go wherever we wanted.

Saava
09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Hay, angelzxdemonz!! :3 I totally saw your costume and knew it was you. I'm retarded. As for me, I wish the con was bigger space-wise. I kept running into people that I didn't want to run into. ;__;
Also, Koda89, I LOVED the melon pan. It was so yummy. I wish i bought more.

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 09:02 PM
The bellboys were really nice, they handled our stuff with care and said "I don't wanna ruin your costumes! They're really cool!" not to mention they're buff too >:3

Oh baby~

Koda89
09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Honey_Usagi-chi, I can't wait to see the video of the Dating Game on YouTube, so I can see our "fight" over my sword again. You scare me....^.^;

*runs away again*

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
that should be on youtube sometime this week I hope!

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Honey_Usagi-chi, I can't wait to see the video of the Dating Game on YouTube, so I can see our "fight" over my sword again. You scare me....^.^;

*runs away again*
Lawls, I tend to scare people quite frequently, that was pretty fun! And then that "Be good!" when I gave back the sword....xD Can't wait to see it too! Thanks Inuyasha_Kun for recording it ^_^

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Lawls, I tend to scare people quite frequently, that was pretty fun! And then that "Be good!" when I gave back the sword....xD Can't wait to see it too! Thanks Inuyasha_Kun for recording it ^_^

Actually, you should thank Hikaruhime for recording it! She was the Raven with the camera in the first row! ^.^ Thank her for doing a good job with video taping it for us!

I might put it on DVD.....it depends though.....

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 09:35 PM
OH YEAH! Sorry, I've been sleeping and passing out today, the memory's hazy.....Thanks Hikaruhime :3

StarShiranui
09-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Woo, alrighty then!

Hotel: Dude, I love the hotel. This was the first time I'd actually stayed in the hotel and I rather liked the room. Skyline was quiet, luckily. Though I did have fun being obnoxious with my friends at three in the morning.

Cosplay: I may be biased but man I love cosplay. Some were hard to hear but some were awesome (such as the ROFLMAO one and the Miroku ones). I won't say our's was any good because my mic apparently wasn't working very well. We kinda pulled our skit together at the last minute as was obvious by how... random the Reno on sugar thing was.

Dealer's Room: I liked the extra space and I bought a lot more than I have before. Like my SHIN-RA ring. I love that thing.

Panels: I saw very few panels. D: At most I saw the Q&A with Q&J and that was about it.

So, yes! I am very happy person. Woo.

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 09:37 PM
OH YEAH! Sorry, I've been sleeping and passing out today, the memory's hazy.....Thanks Hikaruhime :3

Hahaha thats okay! ^.^ I slept on the way back to oklahoma from Dallas... x.x

Anyway! you were a very cute Hikaru!

Koda89
09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Hahaha thats okay! ^.^ I slept on the way back to oklahoma from Dallas... x.x

Anyway! you were a very cute Hikaru!

I agree. All the ladies that particepated in the Dating Game looked marvelous, imo.

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I agree. All the ladies that particepated in the Dating Game looked marvelous, imo.

LOL and what I don't classify as a lady? But I guess I don't since I was cross dressing... x.x

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
*blushes* Ya'll are too nice >_>;

You classify as a lady! I couldn't stop staring at how cute of a Sumomo you were on Saturday during Elevator Hell

StarShiranui
09-03-2007, 09:46 PM
LOL and what I don't classify as a lady? But I guess I don't since I was cross dressing... x.x

Come now, cross dressing is by far the awesome.

Hikaruhime
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I hope I did well recording you Anime Dating folks. ^^;; I tried to get all the action (as opposed to keeping the camera focused on just the panel "desk").

Reno Dating Game MC Person, you crack me up. Please marry me. <3

I found several things I liked in the Dealers' Room, and had no problems with it. The hotel staff was awesome and the congoers were very nice and respectful.

However, am I the only one who had a problem with the Christian Singles group? A few of their members griped out one of my friends, saying that "our kind" should stay out of "their area." (Of course, it was perfectly okay for them to be in "our area.")

StarShiranui
09-03-2007, 09:53 PM
However, am I the only one who had a problem with the Christian Singles group? A few of their members griped out one of my friends, saying that "our kind" should stay out of "their area." (Of course, it was perfectly okay for them to be in "our area.")

You weren't the only one. However, I only heard it in whispers and side notes when I was running around with my fake pistol.

Though most of the ones I saw at Skyline that I was in elevators with seemed really curious as to what was going on.

EDIT: I can spell, I swear.

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I hope I did well recording you Anime Dating folks. ^^;; I tried to get all the action (as opposed to keeping the camera focused on just the panel "desk").

I found several things I liked in the Dealers' Room, and had no problems with it. The hotel staff was awesome and the congoers were very nice and respectful.

At least they weren't evangelist weirdos that hit eachother screaming out the devils. I got a TON of weird stares, but it was fun. I just wonder what they did to Jesus back there.... I woulda torn them a new one if they said crap to me though, they're the ones who leeched off of our con space D:<

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Honey: Awww thank you! ^.^ as I said you were a very cute Hikaru I have ever seen! No joke!

Hikaruhime: So far it looked great when we did the hare hare yukai dance! other then thatn I haven't seen it all yet!

StarShiranui: LOL thats true... except for I didn't mind my self that good.. x.x but at least I tried my best! LOL

StarShiranui
09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
StarShiranui: LOL thats true... except for I didn't mind my self that good.. x.x but at least I tried my best! LOL

I guess I got lucky and most of the ones I got around were the curious ones instead of the rude ones.

I do have some form of luck!

Not really, but I can pretend.

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 10:07 PM
I guess I got lucky and most of the ones I got around were the curious ones instead of the rude ones.

I do have some form of luck!

Not really, but I can pretend.

LOL I meant BIND not mind.. typo.........big one!! lol well I still didn't mind myself because I WENT into their area

StarShiranui
09-03-2007, 10:09 PM
LOL I meant BIND not mind.. typo.........big one!! lol well I still didn't mind myself because I WENT into their area

Aye, aye. They weren't all that bad anyway. They minded their business most of the time.

I was just waaaaiting for one of them to get an Animefest badge and wander around there. I'm way too easily amused.

CrescentBunny
09-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeaaah I thought that this years AnimeFEST went pretty well. Much bigger than it has been so far! And still one of my favorite cons to attend.

Dealers Room: Bigger, Better. Definitely MORE of a selection (nice selection = less Narutard and Bleach dominated dealers rooms)

Con staff: Understaffed I agree. And more than a few were rude enough to reach the rude staff epic-ness of A-Kon. But you know, there are always the awesome nice staff people too.

Hotel: Still my favorite hotel experience as far as all Texas cons go. I wish the cleaning staff hadn't thrown away some of our important bags...its like OH its a bag I hafto throw it away...But the hotel immediately reimbursed us.

Cosplay Contest: Wouldn't know! The Con staff were giving out conflicting sign up times and I was so mad I missed it I just didn't go. Sorry guys! There were definitely some people I wanted to go see and support but I had alot of fun outside of it too.

Panels: Q&A with Q&J = awesome, and Yoshitoshi Abe you are the man once again.

Random: Para Para people were generally okay about this but there were a few times where they set up that was REALLY annoyingly in the way. And the SFC convention was annoyingly in the way a few times. Especially during the finger painting episode. Total stupidity. Lack of schedules until long after 2 on Friday was dumb too. I missed some panels I wanted to go to, but I can understand the delay.

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 10:16 PM
I think what was funny was the candy & mints they put out at the water jugs this year. I took all the butter scotch, apple & orange ones after the local cosplayer meet. :3

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I destroyed some of AnimeFest! the first time I came down dressed as Inuyasha with my tetsusaiga, I had it in my hands... and well.. I accidently swung it backwards and hit the photoshoot pillar thingy with all the information on the photshoots.. and I tore the papers... so.. thats why there is a tear in the paper.. was because of some Inuyasha... *whistles*

Koda89
09-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I think what was funny was the candy & mints they put out at the water jugs this year. I took all the butter scotch, apple & orange ones after the local cosplayer meet. :3

So THAT'S where all the butterscotch candy went....I didn't get any....:bigcry:

First you stole my sword then you stole my candy. Meanie! :bigcry:

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
So THAT'S where all the butterscotch candy went....I didn't get any....:bigcry:

First you stole my sword then you stole my candy. Meanie! :bigcry:
You have NO idea how hard I laughed just now xD I feel bad 'cause I'm gobbling them up right now....yummie artificial fruit~

Goldfinch
09-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Gah! I KNEW someone was stealing the butterscotch! I took a couple whenever I could...

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Not to mention I invaded the ones that were in the video room hallway too :3

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 10:25 PM
lol no one cares about me destroying animefest with my fake tetsusaiga...o.o more worried about candies! lol

Goldfinch
09-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Definitely! We all have to get our sugar fix, you know.

Koda89
09-03-2007, 10:28 PM
lol no one cares about me destroying animefest with my fake tetsusaiga...o.o more worried about candies! lol

1) Candies are the best thing in the world after anime, cosplay, pocky, ramune, and conventions.

2) If I remember correctly, the reason it kicked back was because you were trying to pull it out of Hikaruhime's hands and pulled too hard. Trust me...I was there and saw it happen. :bigtu:

Jet_Texas
09-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Anyone else found it hilarious when the Jesus cosplayer was walking through that religious con.

Nope. Sacrilegious and irritating would be more to my way of thinking, but besides that, I saw a button was perfect for him.. "and WHAT does that have to to with ANIME"

Koda89
09-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Nope. Sacrilegious and irritating would be more to my way of thinking, but besides that, I saw a button was perfect for him.. "and WHAT does that have to to with ANIME"

I agree. I usually let Jesus cosplayers slide, but this time, not so much. That was really offensive, even if I wasn't offended myself.

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Lawl, Jet, you have the best sense of humor xD

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 10:34 PM
1) Candies are the best thing in the world after anime, cosplay, pocky, ramune, and conventions.

2) If I remember correctly, the reason it kicked back was because you were trying to pull it out of Hikaruhime's hands and pulled too hard. Trust me...I was there and saw it happen. :bigtu:

Well......yeah... but it still happened.. which was pretty funny... x.x and now hikaruhime has her own sword to play with! *hides from that awful pun*

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 10:39 PM
My sister told me Friday that she was nearly killed by your Tetsusaiga but her friend's ninja-ness saved her :3...guess it's not always the sword of protection ;p Ewww, I made a cheesy anime joke *shudder*

Hikaruhime
09-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Jesus cosplayers are no longer funny. It's been done ten billion times. They need to get the clue.

Yeah, Koda knows it wasn't my fault that Inuyasha ruined AFest property! I'm innocent! XD

shiri_tori
This con had it's highs and lows for me, mostly highs.

Dealer's room was AWESOME. They actually had more things besides just Bleach, Naruto, and Ouran. So, so, so, amazingly STOKED when I found Shin Megami Tensei things! Even though I didn't get any FFX doujin of the Slashy variety like I wanted, it made it all so worth it! Me and my friends probably had the highest concentration of Megaten figures in our rooms--well, except for that one Mitsuru figure that eluded us...>_>

Cosplay contest: FABU--even though we lost, I loved how well the costumes and the skits were this year! They were all totally so super special awesome! Wow, just plain WOW...
The fellow cosplayers were so nice, and even when we were coming down from the skit, got some high fives from peoples, even some from one from the Lazy town Dudes, everyone just plain was so cool, especially to a first time skit person like me...^^;;
Oh and thanks to like everyone for not calling on me, when I, err...walked a bit too far in the Phoenix Wright skit...^^;;

Photoshoots: Phoenix Wright was as always fantabulous--I was so sorely depressed at the Kingdom Hearts one however--I was late, and even though I was the one who helped organize it, and it was just rather chaotic when I got down there...^^;; I didn't have my camera with me, so I didn't get to take a picture of the cutest little Belle cosplayer in like ever--Belle, cosplayer--you were adorable! And the DiZ was amazing! Gahh, man still beating myself up for not having a spare camera...(>__O)

Anime Dating Game: For what we had to work with (i.e. Losing like half our group) it was worth it--we have a lot to work on, but for a first time, it could've gone a lot worse--a HUGE thank you for all the participants and the audience that remained for all thier patience--this will be improved upon MAJORLY, so no worries.

There seemed to be a fair amount of drunk people wandering about, during the rave, but I assume this is natural(?), and most of my cosplay were unrecognizable since they were either an original concept or of the Shin Megami Tensei or Phoenix Wright Variety, I still had a blast though with Rasputin's beard and bouncing around as Ken.

The Christian peeps weren't so bad--then again, I'm biased slightly cause they were Filipino and so was I, so I could infer what they were saying--the Philippines is starting to become a really big cosplay-oriented country so I wasn't so surprized when I had some of them talk to me in slightly broken English about my costume. The guys were usually the more nicer, the girls were slightly more like 'I don't see you, please don't look at me' kind so--ehh, they weren't as bad as this one random family in the elevator with like four girls, and this one wierd bald dude who was kinda harrassing me and my friend, but ehh, you get jerks like that everywhere...

All in all, still loads better than the rush of AKon--though the rooms were oh-so-much smaller, and I didn't appreciate being a walking wallet to my brother....(>__O)

Oh and

Just the fact ya'll taped it was just so sweet! Thanks so much! And I'm glad my Reno wasn't too out of character...^^;;

Inuyasha_Kun
Honey-LOL I think I almost killed about 10 people at that con with my tetsusaiga and my little tetsusagia that sticks out.. I think I poked a couple of guys in the crotch with it... o.o

angelzxdemonz
09-03-2007, 10:44 PM
ahh... i remember last year i accidentally dropped my friends buster sword on my my other friends head trying to put it down o__o'''
im glad the tetsusaiga didnt kill anyone xD

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh baby, the crotch~ Just kidding, it was a very impressive sword though! Many people just have a regular katana or something chopped out of a cardboard box, kudos to you :3

Shiritori, I felt that it ran smoothly so I didn't lose any patience (: I just wish I remembered more of the Hare Hare Yukai but I'm a retard who hasn't watched it for months....the dance looked so fun ;p And Shinobi_Misa was such a cute little Haruhi, nyo?

And I did really good in accidentally entertaining people this year, I dropped my tin-box on my foot once, dropped it on the floor and most of the jewels scattered about...Yar.....and then somehow winning in SSBM games when I haven't played in half a year. I just wish we had SOME items, just no hammer and invisible thingy! AND NO MR. SATURN!

Jet_Texas
09-03-2007, 10:46 PM
1 Hotel.. a well deserved thank you to all the people that worked at the hotel, it was a 180deg turn around from my exp. at atsui ! And the Temp was kept fairly comfortable too .

Cosplay.. Run well, FULL rehearsal with music. (and they got my my music right ! so I am now 1 out of 3 ) High speed walk ons was an odd way to do it, but it did speed up the process, and 1 of them WON best of Show.. Angel Sanctuary.

Code of Dress, as stated by others a few of the young ladies were a bit to forward in there dress.

Viewing rooms. as usual some of the best set up out and run Video rooms around. Congrats to the AV staff !

Dealers room, I don't buy much stuff at cons, but the wide areas and room to breathe were really NICE !

Still the most friendly con I have been to.

Had a great time.

Koda89
09-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Thankfully for me, my crotch was MUCH higher than the strike zone. ^.^;

Sucks my first date died....at least my second date was the least emo out of the three.

shiri_tori
09-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Sucks my first date died....at least my second date was the least emo out of the three.

Try being narrowily shot by said emo (O__<)

Koda89
09-03-2007, 10:51 PM

All the ladies that were my possible bachelorettes wanted to shoot you, Reno...even I stabbed you twice.

Then again, I even tried killing Tanaki, so no one was safe...

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 10:55 PM

x3

I can't count how many times I threatened you :3

Code of Dress, as stated by others a few of the young ladies were a bit to forward in there dress.
You are my hero, I'm glad someone here's on a common ground with me on that >_>;

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 10:57 PM
lol getting in and out of the elevator.......x.x wearing that sword at my waist and having people shove me around and me poking them.. oh well its their fault!

Hikaruhime: :p

Koda: :p to you to! x.x

the anime dating game for me, Well I liked it, but I wasn't a big hit as thought I was going to be... I was scared because that was my actual first performence at an anime convention... I wished I had more talent to think of more funny things to say.... I thought those answers were most like Inuyasha... well least I did get to bash Tamaki over the head with his bear....

StarShiranui
09-03-2007, 10:57 PM

You were the Reno there? ilu. .-.

That was one of the more hilarious things I've seen in a good while. xD

shiri_tori
09-03-2007, 11:00 PM
You were the Reno there? ilu. .-.

That was one of the more hilarious things I've seen in a good while. xD

Thankies--glad ya'll enjoyed...Reno was worried she wasn't well Reno enough...:geek:

I can't count how many times I threatened you :3

No worries, Reno deep down enjoyed it--come one we all know he's a super sekrit masochist...

Oh and you were the CUTEST Hikaru in like, evar!

Koda89
09-03-2007, 11:00 PM
lol getting in and out of the elevator.......x.x wearing that sword at my waist and having people shove me around and me poking them.. oh well its their fault!

Hikaruhime: :p

Koda: :p to you to! x.x

the anime dating game for me, Well I liked it, but I wasn't a big hit as thought I was going to be... I was scared because that was my actual first performence at an anime convention... I wished I had more talent to think of more funny things to say.... I thought those answers were most like Inuyasha... well least I did get to bash Tamaki over the head with his bear....

I thought you actually did very well for staying in character with Inuyasha. It is just, Inuyasha is more serious than funny, while all the other characters were easy to do funny. I'm actually shocked people laughed at my answers...

angelzxdemonz
09-03-2007, 11:01 PM
ohmygosh i dont know if i said this but

JET YOU ARE THE BEST JET I HAVE EVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE SEEN >O

wow that was weird grammer .__.

i think i told you that last year, yet im not sure o__o'

SO YOURE COOL >D thankyou for supporting us in the cosplay!

oh and HoneyUsagi, you made me utterly happy to be able to see a MKR cosplay <33x1000

StarShiranui
09-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Thankies--glad ya'll enjoyed...Reno was worried she wasn't well Reno enough...:geek:

I thought it was really good, so yeah.

I was the Elena in the back with the Tseng that was playing the protection game. Yeeah. I swear I don't know her. >_>

Inuyasha_Kun
09-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Koda: Well thank you! Next year I might pick someone a little more funnier

Inuyasha is pretty funny though.. and mean.. and such a jerk.. x.x

StarShiranui
09-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Koda: Well thank you! Next year I might pick someone a little more funnier

Umumum.

I may see if I could get on that for next year.

With...

Nekozawa! Mwaha.... hah.

I should probably sleep now.

shiri_tori
09-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I thought it was really good, so yeah.

I was the Elena in the back with the Tseng that was playing the protection game. Yeeah. I swear I don't know her. >_>

Aww, I should've ran to the back and hid behind ya'll...^_^

All the ladies that were my possible bachelorettes wanted to shoot you, Reno...even I stabbed you twice.

Then again, I even tried killing Tanaki, so no one was safe...
Eek, I remember that...Reno got like no love...except from Mouse, and Tamaki--and that was the kind of love he didn't want ( I did though...XD *super sekrit fangirl*)

StarShiranui
09-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Aww, I should've ran to the back and hid behind ya'll...^_^

We would've gladly hidden you. x3

thefinal
09-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Hmm, let me give the down low on the Dealerís Room.

1. Technically speaking I was a co-manager but my manager had called me a ďmanagerĒ and put me in charge of handling dealerís transactions and otherwise this year, as well as their location. As of today, I am officially the Dealerís Room Manager according to Laura, my Director, so any constructive criticism you have Ė I am MORE than willing to listen to it and strongly encourage it.
2. I feel your pain on the selection of goods. We had some of our good dealerís drop out actually do to funding issues and otherwise. I can tell you my goal is to get different dealerís in there next year if at all possible because I would really personally like to see more of a manga (different than what we carried), dvd and video game selection. I cannot guarantee anything since these dealerís Iím working on getting are way out of state, but I will try.
3. Itís already been discussed before, but next year I will find any way necessary in order to get a SPECIFIC dealerís room security staff so we can ensure that 1, youíre not buying bootlegs, 2, that you are in a safe environment, and I really think that a security staff team for the dealerís room is a necessity.
4. Prices are not dictated by the con itself Ė thatís for the dealer to decide. If you think you get a better deal at another table Ė I encourage you to work their price down and say ďwell this dealer sells it for this muchĒ. If they donít do a price match, buy it at the other place. If you still donít like the prices, I really donít mean this in a bad way at all and please do not take offense or take it rudely, but at that point, youíre probably better finding a company to bulk order with from Japan, buy the goods you want, have them pack it and ship it to you. Just a suggestion since itís what I know some of my friends do.
5. Weíre still working on our contract for this next year so letís cross our fingers and hope that the Hyatt loves us enough that we get to stay there.

PS Ė If they were in the dealerís room, I had them take off their ďfree hugĒ signs and things of the sort.

naruto_ramen_1
09-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I had fun at Animefest this year ^_^ I met a lot of nice people ^_^

It was my first time as an Artist at the Bizarre Bazarre and my sis and I did really well so we were happy :) Thanks to everyone who supports Toontwins ^_^

I also participated in cosplay along with the other members of Team Sai and we had a blast!

Other thoughts:
Cosplay: I enjoyed cosplay, but I really didn't see anything special. As a participant, I thought it was hard to understand the skits while waiting in line.
I did however, like the walk-on that everyone did at the end :D

Dealers: I was a little disappointed in the dealers hall this year :( It seemed like a giant Barnes n Nobles or Borders. There was so much manga and Dvds O-o;; I like finding the rare stuff ^_^

Events: Sadly, the concert was kinda lame :/

Hotel: The staff was very friendly, but I could have done without the drunk neighbors who woke me up every night at 3 am O-o;;

Some of my favorite parts of the con were talking to my table mate, Riku, at the bizarre, getting to know Sai better ^_^, the Naruto photoshoot on Sunday afternoon was tons of fun, and being part of a cosplay skit ^_^

Honey Usagi-chi
09-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Oh and you were the CUTEST Hikaru in like, evar!
Wow, and I acted really out of character too, my answers were just too....Hikaru xP I'll be wearing her again, but in some lighter to wear craft foam....not moving your back for 15 hours = not fun xP

oh and HoneyUsagi, you made me utterly happy to be able to see a MKR cosplay <33x1000
There were other MKRs there too, I was with a full form Hikaru for 10 minutes and there was an Umi, Lantis, and Eagle :3 Oh! And my Fuu on Saturday...

Oh and TheFinal can you PLEASE do something about the people who formed a crowd running through the aisles? It happened Saturday, I think..... Anyway, I nearly got smashed, and while it's good to enjoy yourself at a con, I couldn't hear the dealers talking to me about their prices and stuff, and it was a really immature thing. I don't want that happening next year again ):

shiri_tori
09-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Hmm, let me give the down low on the Dealer’s Room.

1. Technically speaking I was a co-manager but my manager had called me a “manager” and put me in charge of handling dealer’s transactions and otherwise this year, as well as their location. As of today, I am officially the Dealer’s Room Manager according to Laura, my Director, so any constructive criticism you have – I am MORE than willing to listen to it and strongly encourage it.
2. I feel your pain on the selection of goods. We had some of our good dealer’s drop out actually do to funding issues and otherwise. I can tell you my goal is to get different dealer’s in there next year if at all possible because I would really personally like to see more of a manga (different than what we carried), dvd and video game selection. I cannot guarantee anything since these dealer’s I’m working on getting are way out of state, but I will try.
3. It’s already been discussed before, but next year I will find any way necessary in order to get a SPECIFIC dealer’s room security staff so we can ensure that 1, you’re not buying bootlegs, 2, that you are in a safe environment, and I really think that a security staff team for the dealer’s room is a necessity.
4. Prices are not dictated by the con itself – that’s for the dealer to decide. If you think you get a better deal at another table – I encourage you to work their price down and say “well this dealer sells it for this much”. If they don’t do a price match, buy it at the other place. If you still don’t like the prices, I really don’t mean this in a bad way at all and please do not take offense or take it rudely, but at that point, you’re probably better finding a company to bulk order with from Japan, buy the goods you want, have them pack it and ship it to you. Just a suggestion since it’s what I know some of my friends do.
5. We’re still working on our contract for this next year so let’s cross our fingers and hope that the Hyatt loves us enough that we get to stay there.

PS – If they were in the dealer’s room, I had them take off their “free hug” signs and things of the sort.

Personally I thought the selection was just plain awesome this year--and the prices were really not as bad, the Mitsuru I got was only around thirty something, and that is as bad as getting it from Hobby link Japan (last I checked anyways, and then you got to count shipping in and whatnot) I think you did a wonderful job thefinal, it seemed to be ran more efficiently and smoothly...

We would've gladly hidden you. x3
Expect a Reno-tumor then...^^

Wow, and I acted really out of character too, my answers were just too....Hikaru xP I'll be wearing her again, but in some lighter to wear craft foam....not moving your back for 15 hours = not fun xP

I think you did a magnificient job, and I think we were all just a little OOC, ya know just to keep things intresting...

Jet_Texas
09-03-2007, 11:14 PM
ohmygosh i dont know if i said this but

JET YOU ARE THE BEST JET I HAVE EVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE SEEN >O

wow that was weird grammer .__.

i think i told you that last year, yet im not sure o__o'

SO YOURE COOL >D thankyou for supporting us in the cosplay!

You are quite welcome, congrats on a job well done !

And thank your for your kind words.

Goldfinch
09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
PS Ė If they were in the dealerís room, I had them take off their ďfree hugĒ signs and things of the sort.

Ah, now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing a single one of those signs inside the dealer room. I really appreciate you doing that. :)

Evil Kimba
09-04-2007, 12:11 AM
I was sort of annoyed...I went to the gripe session to offer criticism/praise to the cosplay part and got snarky, rude, dismissive answers from one staffer. :/

I enjoyed the con, but I don't know if I'll go back next year. Might go to Dragon*con instead. :3 It was awesome to meet/see all the Bleachers!!

satsuke
09-04-2007, 12:21 AM
afest this year was a lot more fun than say akon was earlier in the year ,. laid back .. not a whole lot of bullsh* from the hotel or anybody.

Only problem I had was with the whole valet parking thing .. I had the bellman help me transport my bunta-kun costume ,. and I'll be damned if he didn't intentionally try and knock the ears off of him ,. knocked into doors, elevator doors, people, walls .. putting big heavy things on his nose (I decided to restack the cart for him after that).

Lady Saea
09-04-2007, 12:38 AM
A-Fest is my favorite con and this just reinforced that. Its well run, really lax, 4 days of crazy fun, and has a great location.

I don't go to any panels really so I have no comments on those. From what I saw of the dealer's room, the selection was mediocre at best. But it was set up much better than last year. They need more food vendors though.

Cosplay contest was run much better than last year. I talked to the coordinator and we discussed it and how he was trying to get total control from his boss and how he was trying his best. I think its just going to get better. Congrats to all the winners!!

But yeah....all the people made this a-fest awesome. I LAFF YOU ALL!

Slingshot
09-04-2007, 01:57 AM
This was my first time at A-Fest, and it was tons of fun. I gotta say that despite some drama I still had a good experience. I guess I'm one of the few who had a problem with the hotel staff. For some dumb reason our friends in the room across from us got kicked out of their room. Then the hotel screwed around with the billing of the room :(.

The dealer's room was alright. There were plenty of cool figurines that I broke the bank on. Though I did feel that there needed to be more variety in the selection of merchandise.

I enjoyed the Super Smash Bros. shoot. Much props to Honey for putting it together. Everyone who participated were super cool. The Videogame shoot could've gone a lot better. We didn't get as many people to show up as we would've liked. Still it was enjoyable.

The viewing rooms were put together rather nicely. There was pretty decent selection of anime. I got into three new series because of it.

Overall IMO the people I ran into and chatted with were more friendly and approachable than other cons I've been to. Got more random hugs and props for my cosplays than before. I definetly got more props for my Ness cosplay than all the other cons combined! I greatly look forward to next year.

tahiti
09-04-2007, 02:06 AM
I have to say that out of all the AnimeFests I've attended, this one was my favorite. And I'm so happy that my friends got to experience a good con. One had never been to a con before, another had previous BAD experiences at cons, and the other was at AnimeFest for the first time. All of them want to go back. The friend who was in charge of our hotel room (and the one who had been to A-Fest for the first time) was already wanting to reserve the room for next year.

Cosplay: I think they might want to rethink the whole fashion line thing when doing the walk-ons, but other than that, cosplay was awesome! Everyone who won an award should've won an award. They all did fantastic jobs. Congrats to them!
Dealer's room: I do think it was a little lacking, but since I was lacking in the monetary department, I didn't really care. I got myself a cute parasol for Miwako cosplay, and a new Wolfwood figurine. I was good.
Panels: I only went to two, but I did enjoy both that I went to. I went to Murase's panel and thoroughly enjoyed myself. And Q&A with Q&J? PLEASE BRING IT BACK NEXT YEAR! I don't think I've ever laughed that hard during a panel. They are seriously fabulous and need to come back! Have them come back, please please please!

My friends and I were situated in the Skyline portion of the hotel, so we didn't really experience anything bad with our neighbors, and the Christian convention people were all really polite with us.

The rave? OH MY GOD. It was .. yes, very smelly. And hot. But you can kind of expect that. Nevertheless, the Saturday night rave was hella fun, and Greg Ayres rocks the shabanga as a DJ.

But last but not least, the people. Everyone I met and knew were all awesome. You guys are what makes conventions even more awesome than they already are. So thanks for a good time!

Grit
09-04-2007, 02:47 AM
How to describe this con in one word: Mellow. An adjective that by far surpasses the justice of "cool", "awesome", or "superior" could offer. I must say, A-fest grew a little bit since last year.

The Setup: They mixed things up a little bit, which is good. Though it was hard getting used to the new layout, it was a good layout. I'm kinda glad the game room and main event hall were seperated...but then again, that was a great room to have main events in. The new room was fine also, I just didn't like being next to the Christian rock concert while the Opening Ceremonies was going on.

The Hotel: Good lordy-loo, I love the Hyatt. Because of A-fest's size, the escalators operate without fail, the elevator's are generally convenient, and it was simple to find everything. Staff was kind and understanding to the con-goers. Very good housekeeping. Though I must say the location leaves the Hyatt at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to food. The food was alright...but the price...eh...not so much. I understand they must jack the price up like that, but it would've been nice to have variety in places to eat that were nearby and not delivery.

The Con Staff: Good people all-around. Save for one woman who would always glare at me. She seemed to be very bitter. Some were stern about their jobs, but she was borderline rude. I greatly appreciated the organization of the GM's in the gaming room. They made a very organized game room and I appreciate it.

Dealer's Room: Good stuff. I liked the selection of figures in there. (Mostly all the Asuka figures I wanted so badly! >:3 ) My one and only complaint...was a lack of T-shirts and anime CD's. You just didn't find a lot of either at the cons, whereas A-kon is much more different, having abundant T-shits, good music, and of course: High prices. I really liked all the price drops they did for the dealer's room. Though I didn't spend much, I believe what I did spend was very worthwhile.

Cosplay: Much more organized than last year. Rehearsal went by very smoothly as did the contest itself. I enjoyed competing in it once more and was VERY HAPPY to hear that they made a Best Drama category this year, when I needed that category more than ever last year when I did the Wolfwood death monologue with my Vash cosplayer friend. But yes, YAY for new categories!

Art Show: Run by the finest out there, the selection was a lot more limited compared to last year. I enjoyed the art, nonetheless. Much more focus on art rather than Kingdom Hearts. (Lawl) Not saying KH fanart isn't art, but....ya just want to see original art sometimes.

The People: THIS is why A-fest is mellow. THIS is why I go to Anime-fest and come back the next year for more. It's the awesome people that attend this con. Personally A-kon is too big for me. This con has a cozy environment with some great people to chat with. I make friends there EVERY time I go. Not once did I run into a rude person or one who spoke ill of me. Nothing but politeness and good times all around. That is why I love this con so much, because of you guys. I love yall. *Hugs Animefest community*

IMO, 2006 was a tad better, but this was still an amazing con that A-kon couldn't hold a candle to.

Danzikumaru
09-04-2007, 03:39 AM

Once again, cosplay show was a controversial point for us. We already voiced our complaints directly to the director in charge of the contest, but like Kimba said, we got mostly snarky and dismissive responses in return. I don't really feel like repeating them here.

I STRONGLY suggest that if any of you have constructive criticism or other points about how the Cosplay Show was run, you post them on Afest's own forums. It really is the only way they will know what's up. The only way the show can improve is if they know they've done something the contestants or audience doesn't like.

Miss_Mikado
09-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Lol Sorry I died on your first date. ^^ Blame Kira for that. :angel:
Yet I think the poke with the sword of yours kind of made me a zombie. ;p

Shiri_tori: I had a blast at the Anime Dating Game. lol Maybe next time I'll be a character who stays alive on her date or something.

In my opinion, the Dealer Room seem a bit small. I was kind of confused of the open space that was left. But then I saw the art gallery. So, that was understandable..I guess. Either way, I found some swell deals there and got what I wanted. ^^

Oh yes, to the Little Sally Walker peeps, I had a huge blast! My voice is barely alive from that night to today. XD hehe

rubyredrose
09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I actually thought the Cosplay event was pretty well run, and I personally liked the fashion show style walk-ons... While standing in line I had a hard time hearing the other skits, but at least part of that was poor quality audio recordings, or the microphones. I didn't stick around for the results (delayed reaction stagefright for the LOSE) but from what I've heard from friends afterwards, those that I thought deserved to win, did.

The hotel staff were very nice, helpful, and polite. When I reported that there was a mattress blocking one of the stairwells, when I went back up the stairs an hour later it was gone. When a friend lost here cell phone, hotel security brought it to her, and was really nice about going up to her room so she could show him ID to get it back. I also really like the layout of this con, and it is a LOT more limited mobility friendly than say, the Adam's Mark. I really hope animefest stays at this hotel.

I only went to one panel (cosplay materials) but the people running it were knowledgeable and the staffer on site was helpful and polite. I was a bit annoyed by the screaming from another nearby panel that made it hard to hear, but...they seemed to be having fun, and the panel room walls are paper thin, so...whatcha gonna do? *shrugs*

I generally spend a LOT more at the artists alley than the dealers room, and came away very happy with what I got. So I can't say much for the dealers room selection. But everyone I talked to there was supremely awesome.

Having the artists alley split was a bit wierd, but I also think it gave a lot more of a chance to stop and talk to people at their tables, and less of a crush and push to keep walking all the time. Better signage would be a good idea, tho.

Lastly, the people. The attendies are why animefest is the best con for me...and you are all incredibly awesome. When I ran off crying after cosplay, several complete strangers stopped to talk and make sure I was okay. When I hadn't eaten all day on Monday, one off the artist alley people gave me something to eat. All con drama that I ran into stayed private and didn't turn into a public screaming match, and was resolved without getting too bad. By and large people in the elevators were polite (which has NOT been the case in all previous years) and I didn't run into any elevator parties this year. So yeah. You are ALL made of awesome. <3

Kuragiman
09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
This convention still remains my favorite. Although I had a rocky start Friday it all turned smooth by the evening and I enjoyed the convention for the rest of the weekend. Nothing but great people. One big non stop party.

I don't do panels and was dead broke so didn't really hit the dealer's room hard. Most think they didn't have a good selection. I usually only purchase models and on that end I was pleased with the selection. I just wish I had the cash to get all the models I wanted.

If I have anything negative to say it is unfortunately about staff organization and professionalism. While I only dealt with a few I was unlucky enough to have the few that didn't really seem to care. No returned calls or e-mails for the two weeks leading up to the con and when I finally approached con operations I was handed the response "I don't have time to deal with you.. I have problems of my own." There are considerably better ways and certainly more professional ways to interact with a customer then that. That is not one of them. I felt completey dejected to the point of almost packing up my room and walking out on the con. I was convinced to stay and just settled on boycotting this particular cosplay contest through no fault of any of the cosplayers. You guys were all great and I wish I could have secured the location I had requested to photograph all of you doing your thing on stage. Maybe next year I will have the pleasure of interacting with staff members that will look at me as a human being and not 'another problem'.

Great con non-the-less! Look forward to next year!

Mune-Pop
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
It was lots of fun! :] Some of the staff seemed kind of cranky, but most of them were friendly! ^o^; <3 Can't wait for next year.

SchizoIori
09-04-2007, 08:52 PM
I think afest this year was one of my fave experiences.

Con as a whole was enjoyable and I love that they have this con at the Hyatt Reunion.

Hotel staff was wonderful. They were very nice and never got snarky with any of us. Even when we had a noise violation called on our room. The staff simply asked us nicely to keep it down. The bellhops were very helpful too.

Cosplay was interesting. All the people who got awards I definitely agree deserved them. I was not completely pleased by the fashion show aspect though. I just thought it was unfair to the cosplayers, audience, and Judges to have to divide their attention between 4 different entries at the same time. Our group asked specifically to be last since we were the largest walk on. We didn't want to take time away from any of the other wonderful cosplayers or block anyone from seeing their costumes.

Dealers room I think was spaced nicely, but I noticed the lack of snack vendors. I was sad. No kiwi gummis for the lose.

Art show was great as usual. We had more space this year, but less pieces. I hope next year we can get more art to showcase.

Th people really made this con for me. I had so much fun with all the people I hung out with. That made me realize how wonderful cosplayers are and how worthwhile the hobby is. I don't think I'd have made nearly as many good friends without it.

Inuyasha_Kun
09-05-2007, 12:04 AM
I do have one complaint......you know how in the book it talks about the anime music video contest and then it says look in the scedule for times and places... well.. my friend hikaruhime and I looked in the scedule for the times and places and we never did find it......x.x

what was up with that? Its in the book, but not in the scedule... ? but then her and I were walking down cumberland or whatever, and I see my AMV's playing.... heh I don't get it... x.x

Honey Usagi-chi
09-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah, our blowdryer broke on us, shoulda called the hotel! 'Cause my hair got wet in the shower and I had to straighten it before it'd poof out under my wig @_@

GarnetteMermaid
09-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I enjoyed the event for it being my first real con, but as I've posted on many other forums and threads, the staff needs an attitude adjustment. You lose patrons when you are rude to them. I almost turned around and went home at a few points.

During the cosplay and costume contests we were yelled at several times for following their orders. One person said go to this person, she said go back, he yelled that we had to go there.. after a few minutes of this, with our large fursuit friend, Scarlet in tow, I finally said we were told to sit anywhere behind this point. We're sitting here. Got yelled at, but we ended up in the back row.. where we could stand to see over people without hindering others behind us. We got yelled at several more times about this as well, yet when we asked the ushers politely to quit having loud conversations behind our heads while we were trying to watch the show and record it (my recordings only have the loud usher talking.. can't hear any skit) we were given dirty looks and ignored.

Then, another staff member, during evacuation, litterally got up in my face, way to close to my personal space, with two others behind her all yelling that I had to leave. Nevermind the fact that I just told them that if anyone at all was smoking outside I couldn't leave the building or else they'd be calling an ambulance. I finally had to walk away while she was talking and go talk to the hotel staff. It was rediculous how rude and unnecessary the staff's actions were.

There was only one of them that was polite the whole time. I cannot remember his name, but his hair was painted blue green and he was the nicest, most friendly one there. He and the Voice Actors who made us feel like we belonged and were actually welcomed (and all the hugs we got in our Burst Angel costumes) were the only things that will warrant us coming back.

I was not impressed in the least by the people my age and younger who had the "I'm staff so I'm in charge and you have to do what I say" power complex talking down at me and yelling when it was not necessary or deserved. They should have spent their yelling time for when they found the punk who thought it would be funny to trigger the alarm.

In order to gain respect, you must first show respect.

I still had fun, but all in all it was one of the most negative expriences I've had. I've been working as cast, performer and merchant at many a Renaissance, Medieval or Street Fair for 10 years now and I've never felt this angry at how I was treated. It was a very bad experience for my first big con event. I hope they aren't all run like this or I may not go to anymore.

Fae

Darth Sunshine
09-05-2007, 07:26 PM
What I don't like is that they banned signs, and when people had signs for gatherings it wasn't allowed, but people with signs of saying "free hugs" or "lonely otaku" was allowed o_O;

I swear, the sign rules at cons piss me off. I think next con I'll go around dressed as a ninja, tearing down hotel signs that say things like restrooms, emergency exit, and guest services while screaming "This isn't allowed!!"

You could always try and pass of gathering signs as "very large labels".

thefinal
09-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Whoa - ummmmmmm, they should not have been banning signs for gatherings and what not. I'll double check with what was going on there but they were not supposed to do that - they were only supposed to ban the signs for the "bondage train" and uhh "free hugs" things of the sort just because of how much commotion it had caused...

Sorry they banned your signs for photoshoots & gatherings but I'll def. check up on that and hopefully it doesn't happen next year.

Darth Sunshine
09-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I've heard of this bondage train several times now... what the heck happened?

GarnetteMermaid
09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
The bondage train should be what was banned. That was rediculous. There were children waaaay under the appropriate age dressed in very little and wearing chains as they were led around. I was not amused or impressed by it. I have nothing against riding crops, chains and leather, plastic or any type of skimpy clothing (was semi-tastfully skimpy herself as Jo from Burst Angel), but at least make sure you are age appropriate. ALSO, what does that have to do with Anime? That's more Hentai than anything. I thought this was supposed to be family friendly?

Fae

Honey Usagi-chi
09-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Was the bondage train the one in the dealers where people ran through the aisles in a giant crowd or is that a conga train? O_o;

GarnetteMermaid
09-05-2007, 11:02 PM
It should have been fairly easily recognized. It was the large group of people of all ages, all being led by chains and stuff. It was a bit disturbing.

VII Fangirl
09-05-2007, 11:32 PM
AFest is one of my fave cons. It has been since the first time I went, and always will be. I love the way it's so laid back. A-Kon and even Oni are just so crowded that you can't make any friends. This one, well, I think I doubled my Con folder on AIM lol. To all of you whom I've met at this con or previous ones and gotten to know better, you're the reason I keep coming back. It's not the concerts, the raves, the panels, the cosplay, or the dealer's room. It's all about meeting new friends and making subsequent cons that much more exciting. Thanks for all the support, and help when my keyblade broke. I can't wait until next year!

Hee-Hee
09-07-2007, 02:55 AM
I saw that lil "bondage train" thing. I was in my Nick Jr. outfit so I kinda yelped and leaped in the other direction. XD Didn't really fancy that much.

shinentai
09-07-2007, 07:44 AM
I agree about the comment concerning rude staff. There is a reason I try to avoid sitting in my Abel costume, and I was standing WAAAAY off to the side so that I could A) Avoid said problems and B) Still see what the hell was going on.

One particular staff member asked me to sit, and I didn't hear her the first time, then said "Oh, sure, I just have issues with this costume". The look she gave me was absolutely hostile, and all I'd done was say sure and try to explain.

Later, one of the nicer fellows on the sidelines recruited me (I apologize if I effed that up, since I'd no idea what was going on), and the same woman that I'm sure many others had problems with swooped down on me. I think I got her to shut up before she could start in, but the fact remains that she was on a power trip and had a horrible attitude concerning just about everything, and people like that should not be allowed to be such snots to everyone because they need a sense of fulfillment...I especially don't understand being rude to cosplayers who pour hundreds of dollars and hours upon hours of their time into their work..

Also: I apologize if anyone was offended by my riding crop...At least I'm not 12! XD

GarnetteMermaid
09-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Shinentai,Your costumes were amazing! I was very impressed with it. Most of you look like you walked straight out of the anime. Very good job!

Your costume look just about as hard to sit in as my Queen Beryl costume was. There was so much there that I can't move, then add the head dress that keeps pushing the biiiiiig queen wig back. lol I have to move carefully, but in that I HAVE to sit occasionally as I wear spiked heels with it. I have to do that very carefully by moving material and hair out of the way, making sure I'm not screwing up my feathers and pauldrons.. Its a mess, but looks dang good.

Luckily I wasn't wearing that during the cosplay show, but instead, I had a large Fox suit with me that I had to guide around and protect from idiots that the security did nothing about.

If the crop is part of the costume, so be it. I've got one that I use with specific costumes as well. It was the little bitty kids doing all that that scared me. I swear I saw one that couldn't have been much older than 8 or 9. She made me thing of my son when he was that age. It was scary to see.

Ochiba-san
09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Lastly, the people. The attendies are why animefest is the best con for me...and you are all incredibly awesome. When I ran off crying after cosplay, several complete strangers stopped to talk and make sure I was okay. When I hadn't eaten all day on Monday, one off the artist alley people gave me something to eat. All con drama that I ran into stayed private and didn't turn into a public screaming match, and was resolved without getting too bad. By and large people in the elevators were polite (which has NOT been the case in all previous years) and I didn't run into any elevator parties this year. So yeah. You are ALL made of awesome. <3

Sorry that I took so long in a reply, but things like that happen to all of us. I had that same problem in theatre when I was in Alice in Wonderland. Everyone has problems after thay go on stage and I'm just glad that we were able to help you out. ^^ As much as I enjoyed the contest, it was really helping people in the end that made my time at AnimeFest amazing. ^^

Cosplay contest: I was a little bit worried about how things would turn out this year. Since VII Fangirl and I were competing with a drama skit, I was worried about how it would turn out after the Vash and Wolfwood situation last year. Though, I have to say that a lot of our inspiration for doing a drama was based on them and also on the Limit Break entry a few years ago at Akon. I really appreciate all the support that we got from the fellow contestants.... When Oblivion broke during practice, most of the people in the room made a dive to offer to help. Much appreciated to all of you! Special thanks to the Phoenix Write group this year for all the moral support. Shiri_Tori and SakuraStar, you are my heroes! Also to the Miroku and InuYasha skit for keeping us entertained while we were in line. You guys were a blast. ^^ With all the competition this year with the skits, I was really stunned that we won anything, but it's really thanks to all the people backing us up. Also congratulations to Dirty Chopsticks and Twinzig on their awards. Everyone who won deserved it, I think. Lots of hard work on all sides.

Dealers room: I went in there not very often, but I really loved the tea booth. I spent so much time just loitering there smelling all of them until I decided which one to buy! (Unfortunately... I left the bag at a friend's house and I won't be able to get it for about 6 weeks. T_T ) Also the contact guys were awesome for their discounts and for the simplicity of the system. Thanks so much for walking me through everything even though I took so long to decide.

Panels: I didn't get to go... I'm sorry!!! T_T

Photographers: I ran into a lot of people who had gotten our pictures before and actually got to sit down and talk to some of them. Thanks so much for the years of continued support and a special thanks to SkyPirate for always being up to "One more shoot" when it usually means about three different locations.

People: Again, I ran into a lot of people at the convention that I had a lot of fun with. I'm sorry that I was so busy that I didn't really get to spend much time with anyone!! I did get to help a lot of people on a few things that they had trouble with and I learned a lot, too! Special props to the Emeraldis who went on. Your poses were just fine! I'm sorry you dropped your sabrepistol, but you recovered nicely and it all worked out! Don't be so modest! Also to the Queen Esther. Congratulations for getting it done! You looked great! I had a lot of fun hanging with Dirty Chopsticks and it's thanks to them that we got the complete Twilight Town and Destiny Islands groups. Great job on your costumes and WOW to Jonobi for his Laguna. PROPS!

Over all, I had a blast. Onicon and AnimeFest are by far my two favourite conventions. I hope to see some of you in October!

kagitsune
09-08-2007, 01:07 AM
^^ I had a wonderful time. Little to no con drama (though the Scott McNeil crowds were a tad loud, I must admit...but once I went to one of his panels (Instant Character), I saw why!! xDDD ), and the people, congoers and guests and artists alike, were so gracious. Even ABe, when I half-ran up to him to ask one more question, was so kind -- even though I couldn't speak Japanese!! ^^ And Saito and Murase were kind enough to suffer our prodding questions...you guys rock.

I really liked the EGL Tea party, but I don't think the Reunion tower thing was necessary...I think meeting outside that old German-style church would have been pretty awesome for the photoshoots. Monica and Miss DeJesus were so gracious...and I even made some new acquaintances. ^w^

I had thought the concert would be boring, so I left before the United Fellas went on...but from what I've heard, they were pretty great! (if anyone had press credentials and recorded it, please youtube it soon!! :D )

Special thanks to Skypirate (of course!) and That One Place in the Dealer's Room Near the Front with the Adorable Pins Who Let Me Borrow the Scissors. You guys were so supportive of my Major Motoko Kusanagi Costume. Thanks so much! ^o^

Hope to see you all again real soon! ^x^v

Goldfinch
09-09-2007, 05:06 PM
The last post reminded me of my big question about the con: how was the band? I heard that everyone knew next to nothing about them, but we had to leave before the concert started, so I didn't get to hear them myself. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on it.

Honey Usagi-chi
09-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I saw them at opening ceremony, there's nothing really extraordinary about them. They got up and played. That's it.

demonninja
09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
The band wasn't the best out there. I heard them during the opening ceremonies and after that I decided no to go to the concert.

chibi_sasuke_1
09-10-2007, 04:07 PM
The band was nothing special :/ I went to the concert out of curiousity more than anything else. But overall, they seemed 'average' and played songs that were too old-school for me.

I was rather disappointed that they had a 'no-name' band this year as FLOW! was just so awesome last year :D I hope they bring in another big band for 2008.

Hikaruhime
09-10-2007, 11:27 PM
I, too, was rather turned off by the concert. It didn't even feel like a real concert. (Of course, I'm more into Jrock... XD) I feel like there were too many slow/moderate paced songs...? I like to get up and move during a concert, but I could have slept through a few of the songs. D: And maybe I'm just dumb, but I didn't think the lady's voice was very good in soprano. Her alto was okay though.

Inuyasha_Kun
09-10-2007, 11:47 PM
I, too, was rather turned off by the concert. It didn't even feel like a real concert. (Of course, I'm more into Jrock... XD) I feel like there were too many slow/moderate paced songs...? I like to get up and move during a concert, but I could have slept through a few of the songs. D: And maybe I'm just dumb, but I didn't think the lady's voice was very good in soprano. Her alto was okay though.

lol thats why you didnt' get upset that I left... x.x though I didn't feel good.. the only song that I really liked was the chobits one...

manazeal
09-11-2007, 02:06 AM
I had a great time at animefest this year despite the fact that I got dragged into the longest game of Little Sally Walker that has ever been played

Honey Usagi-chi
09-13-2007, 11:27 PM
I just thought I'd express what truly bugged me about the bondage train. I went and PMed the final about it, but it never hurts to share, right? ;) I cut out the intro and end though, since that's super confidential dealer business, no? :o

-I am very happy that the dealers room is now where it originally was designated when we were first at the Hyatt, not only that but it was expanded! However, that's no excuse to grab most of the shoppers and run randomly, crowding the aisles.

-The shopping. I was buying something when a giant horde of the bondage train shoved behind me screaming with a boombox, and even though the seller was shouting at me as if I were about to get hit by a train, I couldn't hear what the price was for something I was about to buy. The world's a pretty shady place, and it still lurks at conventions, despite the happy atmosphere. The seller could've thought "Hey, she never heard me, I could make myself some extra dough" That being pretty self-explanatory, I probably got ripped off.

-The crowd. I'm considering myself lucky I was carrying a tin lunch box and not an open purse. Alot of people got pushed and shoved in the dealers while they were making their way, and for some people who carry purses, I'm positive that it leaves a recipe for disaster, otherwise known as pick-pocketing. We can't deny that exists x3

-The merchandise. People were running aimlessly, and when I roamed the dealers Saturday, a bunch of stuff was damaged or worn that was at booths that had stuff hanging on open galleries. Not to mention such a huge crowd, people might've savored the opportunity and snatched objects from the dealers' tables since it was a giant diversion.

-The cosplayers. Alot of people spent alot of time and hard work on their costumes, and to get shoved through a crowd of immature kids and have those angel wings or staffs ruined? I can't imagine the heartbreak.

Danzikumaru
09-13-2007, 11:42 PM

Honey, you've summed up EXACTLY what my problem was with it, sexual situations aside.

Honey Usagi-chi
09-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Aww, thanks (: Glad to know someone's on the same page with me ^_^

benihime
09-14-2007, 04:03 AM
on one day, i can't remember which one it was , some of the staff had to search our bags because of a hit and run.

gosh. idiot people

Kung_Fu_Candy
09-14-2007, 04:48 PM
The bondage train was just all-around icky. D:

That's just one of those times (that come about every 5 minutes at A-Kon, but way less frequently at AFest) when you have to wonder "Where the hell are these kids' parents?!"

I've been going to conventions for 5 years now and it still creeps me out to see 13 year old girls dressed like S&M hookers complete with leashes and whips (and sometimes ball gags, WTF?!!) with no adult supervision in sight. Maybe I'm just sheltered to the point of Puritanism, but I know that until I was 18 my dad or somebody was always there to keep an eye on me, and he would have absolutely flipped out if I was part of a 'bondage train'.

I mean seriously, do these kids not know what bondage is?!! Jesus, when you're in middle school you shouldn't be involved in anything even remotely resembling bondage!!

*shudder*

Kageh_Mygen
09-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I guess its about time I post...

On the whole bondage train thing: I encountered it once during its existence, though I didn't know what it was at first, just that someone pulled me into it as it passed and kept saying I had to walk with them for a while (and, as many who know me could probably tell you, I'm a pretty passive person. That is to say, I have trouble saying no...). I found out what it was after I asked the person who had grabbed hold of my arm, they realized they had to go shortly after, and I fled as soon as they did. Aside from that oddness (and if the person who grabbed my arm is reading this, don't worry, I wasn't offended, just a little weirded out), I really don't care about what they were doing. If they had fun, good, if not, too bad, I don't care.

On the convention programming: For the most part, I had a lot of fun. That being said, there were moments when I just couldn't find anything at all to do. I considered entering the cosplay contest this year, but decided it was too much trouble (especially the rehearsal time), and passed on it.

On the dealers room: A really good variety of stuff, too bad I don't really have many material desires and thus don't tend to buy much at conventions, still it was fun to look around.

On my hotel room: Least number of people I've ever had in a hotel room for a convention. For Friday and Saturday there was only one other person, and though two more were added for Sunday night it still qualified as less than usual. And, also uncommon, everyone in said room was well behaved (different group of people than I usually room with / have to deal with). The room itself was nice, except that the shower consisted of a nozzle on the wall and a drain in the bathroom floor, and nothing else.

Personal experiences: One of the most awkward-moment filled conventions for me. Some bad, some alright. For starters, I got glomped from behind by a guy... really hard... my back hurt for about an hour after that. There was also the previously mentioned experience with previously mentioned bondage train people, though I'm indifferent to that.

Then, on one of the nights, there were two people sitting around who asked me to sit with them for a while, they seemed to be there just to mock cosplayers or people (though I could be wrong, they could have just been idiots), asking things like "So is it a good way to get laid" and such. I walked away very shortly after meeting them, annoyed.

On Sunday evening I was forced into wearing makeup while in my Yuki costume... long story... I don't particularly mind (embarrassing, yes, but meh, life goes on, I laugh in retrospect, etc.). Lets just say it was caused by my previously mentioned inability to say no.

I'm still kicking myself over forgetting my camera (didn't pack it), and the tie for my Yuki costume (left sitting on my dresser at home), I was missing both at the convention quite often. Still, my Dark and Yuki costumes seemed to go over well (though I'm having trouble finding pictures), and I'll make sure to do a better job of remembering things for my next convention. And I think thats it for this wall of text...

Sorry for the length :lost:

Honey Usagi-chi
09-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah. These kids think they can show their true colors at a con, but jeez! It's gross. The sad part is I knew most of the girls who were in the bondage train and dressed extra......*cough* This is a FAMILY CONVENTION. A FAMILY CONVENTION, NOT A STRIP JOINT!! Where are the parents? ):

manazeal
09-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I had a different experience with the bondage train
As soon as I saw it I burst into laughter and kept thinking

"This is twisted no where else on the face of the planet are you going to see 13-15 year olds bouncing around the room dressed in bondage"

Then I turned to one of my friends and he just had this horrified/repulsed look on his face as he shuck it side to side, it was as if someone had killed a puppy right in front of him.

but I have to admit that this wasn't the most disturbing thing I have seen at a con. Last year at one of the dances at A-kon (A-kon 17) I saw 2 thirteen year olds boys dressed in only tight leather pants and tight leather boots, grinding on each other. That pretty much killed th night for me so I just went up to my room and crashed.

Honey Usagi-chi
09-16-2007, 12:14 AM
This is one of the girls I know that go to my school. She is the half naked girl dancing a rather hardy macarena, not only that but the older guy ENJOYED it (I'm gonna have to teach her a brutal lesson, it's shameful to my age and to be classified among her type)..... And the person who made this video bashed Inuyasha-kun......meanies....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij57nH1L0rQ

WHERE ARE HER PARENTS?!

FaeandMerfolk
09-16-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm insulted by the name of that video more than I am shocked by her outfit. She was only wearing a middrift. I wore those for years... still do. I wish people weren't so rude about things...

As for the bondage thing.. I was the kids younger than her that creeped me out.

Fae

Inuyasha_Kun
09-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Honey: Thank you for posting that link up.... I looked at it and watched it...thanks for letting me know about it... I flagged that video as inaproperate....x.x

as soon as I saw that video I started crying..... why do people do this shit?

Fae: They were talking about me... not that girl..... x.x I am in that video...

Honey Usagi-chi
09-16-2007, 12:50 AM
*hugs inuyasha* Because people insecure about themselves bash on others. Don't let it get to you, kay? Focus on the people who like you *like me!* xD

I was disturbed when that guy talked about the girl who goes to my school and said "Should I go and put a dollar in there?" and then he outbursted "I'm no pedofile!" I'm disturbed. Why do people attract such attention to themselves.

Inuyasha_Kun
09-16-2007, 12:56 AM
*hugs inuyasha* Because people insecure about themselves bash on others. Don't let it get to you, kay? Focus on the people who like you *like me!* xD

I was disturbed when that guy talked about the girl who goes to my school and said "Should I go and put a dollar in there?" and then he outbursted "I'm no pedofile!" I'm disturbed. Why do people attract such attention to themselves.

Awwww your so sweet ^.^ even though that you dont know me that well, but I am sure that you will!

Yeah those idiots... I never saw it coming.... x.x I mean I sort of knew that it was going to be put on youtube, but... not anything like this... well those ass holes can go to hell... and yes I will not worry about it cause I have friends on here that care about me, like Hikaruhime, Sailor Moon, Fae, and a couple of others that I have seen and know in real life...

Honey Usagi-chi
09-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Good! Don't worry about it! They're poopy heads >:x And hopefully we can hang out at more cons :3 The dating game was such a blast xD And waiting in elevator hell with you was entertaining ^_^

thefinal
09-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Okay, talk about people being rude (referring to the video). Can I attack them with my rabid zombie ninja squirrels and cut out their tongues? AHAHAHAHA. What a$$holes...

Sorry, people like that piss me off...

Inuyasha_Kun
09-16-2007, 02:00 AM
Honey: heh, yeah, that was fun... of course I didn't know that that was you...x.x

Thefinal: Be my guest... x.x

I want everyone to go there that is my friend and mark that video as innaproperate.....

HaremGirlNuriko
09-16-2007, 02:30 AM
Consider it flagged Inuyasha Kun, I hate it when people post stuff like that. You are so nice and then people have the nerve to say things like that. I can't believe how people can be so mean to people without getting to know them. *was the Reno in the 'Bad Day for Reno' skit.*

manazeal
09-16-2007, 02:55 AM
WOW that guy pissed off alot of people in a hurry
but don't we all kind of expect stuff like this to happen at Cons. Regardless of if we want things like this to happen or try to prevent them from happening they still do. When enough people get together anywhere people start trying to show off and it usually comes at the expense of others.

I think its best if we try to focus on all the fun we had and not on the A-holes that showed up to the con

Inuyasha_Kun
09-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Haremgirl: Thanks! Yeah, I know... x.x I am the one that is 'princess Inuyasha' in the video..

mana: well I expected it, but I didn't expect it to turn out like it did......>.> And here I thought that people at animefest were nice... this was my first AnimeFest...x.x and to already be on video for crap like this...

HaremGirlNuriko
09-16-2007, 03:14 AM
WOW that guy pissed off alot of people in a hurry
but don't we all kind of expect stuff like this to happen at Cons. Regardless of if we want things like this to happen or try to prevent them from happening they still do. When enough people get together anywhere people start trying to show off and it usually comes at the expense of others.

I think its best if we try to focus on all the fun we had and not on the A-holes that showed up to the con

Agreed. It's just I'm treated like that more often than not myself. People judge me...badly before they know me. The only people I'm friends with are people I meet at cons, people I meet through people at cons, and VERY FEW classmates. Just my jewelry class and my Eastfield College Anime Club vice president.

manazeal
09-16-2007, 03:21 AM
well I am sorry it happened and I hope you have a better experience at all future cons

Inuyasha_Kun
09-16-2007, 03:26 AM
mana: thank you.... I do plan on going back to AnimeFest next year... something like this wont keep me down... oh no... it may have pissed me off, but it wont get me down....

6thfloortseng
09-16-2007, 03:27 AM
Manazeal, I happen to be HaremGirl's VP, or rather Former VP. We actually meet at AnimeFEST! in 2002, when she was dressed up like Xellos from Slayers. We've been friends ever since. We also keep running into different cosplayers that we see year after year. And I belive that everyone gets judged before people get to know them. It's just a fact of life. Trust me. HaremGirl is one of the most awesome-est people I know (love her to death but she needs to learn to answer her cell) and people just don't seem to get it. *sigh* Oh well.

Anyway, I thought the con was pretty good this year. I thought the dealers room was a bit dry, but then again, this is the first year that I've actually had a job and had access to a bit more money. The staff was ok, I just wish I could have made it to a few more panels. *Shrug* I got to see Scott McNeil and I'm happy.

However, I am still twitching over the Bondage people. They scarred me. ALOT!

HaremGirlNuriko
09-16-2007, 03:43 AM
6thfloortseng: Aww! *tear* Will try answer phone more.

6thfloortseng
09-16-2007, 03:44 AM
6thfloortseng: Aww! *tear* Will try answer phone more.

*Glomp, huggle* Neko Turks for next year! *grin*

benihime
09-16-2007, 03:56 AM
that was really rude. i saw that video and i about wanted to smack that person.

no one should be judged on how they are on the outside

manazeal
09-16-2007, 04:03 AM
Agreed. It's just I'm treated like that more often than not myself. People judge me...badly before they know me. The only people I'm friends with are people I meet at cons, people I meet through people at cons, and VERY FEW classmates. Just my jewelry class and my Eastfield College Anime Club vice president.

Hey Eastfield College I recognize that name. I got really lost in dallas once a few years back and ended up there.

also I am sorry that you get prejudged alot and I wish I could change it even though I can not. But on to brighter happier subjects.

I am relatively new in the Dallas area and was hoping to meet more anime and cosplay lovers....so if any one is interested in adding a computer/anime nerd to there brigade of cosplaying friends then IM me.

6thfloortseng
09-16-2007, 04:07 AM
Hey Eastfield College I recognize that name. I got really lost in dallas once a few years back and ended up there.

also I am sorry that you get prejudged alot and I wish I could change it even though I can not. But on to brighter happier subjects.

I am relatively new in the Dallas area and was hoping to meet more anime and cosplay lovers....so if any one is interested in adding a computer/anime nerd to there brigade of cosplaying friends then IM me.

I used to go there. Sadly, moving to Allen as of this comeing Tuesday. I'm now at Collin County Community College (Spring Creek Campus). I'm always looking for more people to possibly cosplay with. I'm sure Nuriko wouldn't mind. Would ya? *prods her Reno*

HaremGirlNuriko
09-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Not at all. The more the merrier!

manazeal
09-16-2007, 04:35 AM
so do any of you guys go to other cons or just Animefest and A-kon
also I just recently heard of all-con? any one ever been to it

Inuyasha_Kun
09-16-2007, 04:54 AM
so do any of you guys go to other cons or just Animefest and A-kon
also I just recently heard of all-con? any one ever been to it

I go to conventions that are up in oklahoma... like Izumi-con that is coming up..

anyway I think we are getting a little off topic here... x.x

6thfloortseng
09-16-2007, 05:22 PM
I just go to AFEST! Considering I had very bad experiences at A-KON and I can't get to any others. No way. But Ikkicon is a possibility. *nod nod*

FoxMoon
09-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Inu babe, I know, That is why I said I was insulted by it too. I hate rude people like that and I too am putting a complaint about it out to youtube.

The vid was posted talking about the girl that was dressed bondage like.. But I dispproved more of the insult to you than the bondage chick.

Fae.
Honey: Thank you for posting that link up.... I looked at it and watched it...thanks for letting me know about it... I flagged that video as inaproperate....x.x

as soon as I saw that video I started crying..... why do people do this shit?

Fae: They were talking about me... not that girl..... x.x I am in that video...

FaeandMerfolk
09-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Now that I'm back on my account, sorry again for that, I wanted to say. Yes, InuYash, you have friends and other's oppinions don't matter one bit.

People, most of us (yes I admit I make rude and catty comments too) are like that. They'll talk crap about people just for a laugh, but you have to realize that they only do it because they don't know you.
I am proud that I got to you know and I apologize whole heartedly if I ever offended you in any way before I got to know you.

This video is now flagged by me too. I was pissed when I saw it myself, thus my being more insulted by the subject instead of the girl in it.

Take a look at the people talking in the vid. Do they look like their opinion matters? Do they look like they like they have any room to talk about anyone else at all? Take it for what it is.. People being idiotic. Don't let any of it get to you because as you said "You have us" we are here and we love ya just as you are.

Fae

PS sorry for the late reply. Somehow I missed a few days on this thread.

Miss_Mikado
09-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Hey Inuyasha_Kun, You have my support. People like that just don't have hearts.
*hugs* I hope you're feeling better. *goes off to kill that video*