PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Manga...

Mei Lan Chang
09-02-2002, 05:54 PM
Has anyone read the new manga called Mars?

I ask this because I have just recently gotten into it, and it's wonderful!

When Rei Kashino got lost on his way to the hospital, he did what anybody would do.. he asked a nearby person for directions, but, he never expected her to hastily draw a map and run away from him. He didn't know about Kira Aso, who happens to go to his high school. Unlike Rei, who is very popular among his class, really good at sports, and a racer who doesn't fear death, Kira is an artist and a quiet girl who doesn't want to be noticed, particularly by guys, most especially popular ones.. he probably wouldn't have remembered her.. except for the beautiful drawing of a mother and child on the other side of the map.. but now, how does he get her to talk to him?

Oh it's just too cute! And it reminds me a lot of myself because, being a bit of an antisocial artist myself, for a long time I had a lot of diffaculty talking to other people....especially hot guys like Rei.

ANYWAY, you should check it out...it's very very good.

Alexeil
09-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Ah, I love this manga too!! I also really relate to Kira, being shy and an artist. The art's beautiful and the story is so engrossing. I just got finished reading vol 3 awhile back. I never thought I could be excited by a race car event before this manga. I can't wait to see how Kira and Rei's relationship progresses!

KuroBara
09-02-2002, 11:14 PM
I read the first volume, it was very good. I couldn't understand why Rei's ex is so cruel to Kira! I relate to her character too, I was exactly like her in high school. Except, without the bishonen.

Does anyone else like Paradise Kiss? It's by far my favorite manga of the moment. It's about Yukari, a studios high school senior who gets recruited to model by a group of fashion students. It's romance, love triangles, nasty parents, and the clothes! Ok, that was a horrible synopsis. >_< Go read it, and you'll see why I'm babbling.

videogirlc
09-03-2002, 04:28 PM
Mars is very good. I love the story and the art. I didn't think too many people knew of it. I haven't read paradise kiss yet.

Tenshi
09-03-2002, 08:38 PM
I'm reading Chobits and Planet Ladder right now. I was going to pick up Mars but I don't know how I'll do with one love story that's 15 or so tankoubon long (correct me if I'm wrong on the count, but I think I'm close). But I highly reccomend Planet Ladder. At first I thought it was an Esca ripoff but I read the first volume again and it's grown on me ^_^.

videogirlc
09-04-2002, 03:14 AM
Another Planet ladder reader. :)

KuroBara
09-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Tenshi, Tokyopop says it's 12+, so I guess you're close. Hmm...I was looking at Planet Ladder, maybe I'll pick it up on the next Barnes & Noble run.

Tokyopop has a firm grasp on my wallet, lol!

Tenshi
09-05-2002, 02:07 AM
Mine too! Heh, and I think just a few years ago, Sailormoon fans wanted nothing more than to see Mixx/Tokyopop go six feet under. I still wince when I look at the mess they made of poor BSSM ;_;.

KuroBara
09-05-2002, 09:41 PM
What did go on with that? I read issue 1 of Sailor Moon, and it was somewhere in the middle! They've come a long way. They're even redoing Card Captor Sakura, unflipped and with the original CLAMP names. *clap clap* Now Viz has to get their act together and lower prices! $16 for an X graphic novel? No no no.

Tenshi
09-06-2002, 01:32 AM
Did you read SM volume 1? Or did you read SuperS vol 1 which is really volume 12, or Stars volume 1 which is really volume 16? Oye, I'm getting confused just thinking about what they did with the numbering system. But what else did they do?

+ used American names and terms for the first two arcs (Classic and R) with the exception of Usagi=Bunny.
+ Made this confusing by using original names for the outer senshi. However, in one chapter Uranus, magically became "Alex Haruka."
+ Countless spelling and grammar errors.
+ Switched cover art for volume 1 >.<.

Foxwolfe
09-06-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by KuroBaraDuelist
Now Viz has to get their act together and lower prices!

I feel the same way, thats pretty much the only thing thats kept me from buying the Ranma books (one of my original favorite anime/mangas) over the years -_-

KuroBara
09-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Tenshi ~ my head is spinning! All I remember is it was labelled Sailor Moon #1, and every inner senshi was already there. So, I asked "Really, where's #1?" and that was supposedly it.

Foxwolfe- I know! Not that I'm a Zoids fan, but Viz is selling tiny volumes of that manga for $6! It's not even a third of what you get from Tokyopop for $10.