PDA

View Full Version : A creation of your own.

Mei Lan Chang
09-02-2002, 06:57 PM
This is a post for all you creators of original costumes.

Making costumes is really fun, that's why we do it. But don't you ever get that urge to make a costume that wasn't already manifested by some anime/manga/game/ect? You know, a costume that didn't come from anywhere but your own nogg'in! (And maybe a little influence from other sources)

I was having an unusually large amout of creativity one day and came up with the conception for an orginal character. She is sort of a death ballerina type thing. If anyone goes to Ani-Magic you can see it.

Post your original creations, because anyone with even a spark of home grown creativity is cooler than a pink bunny under a block of ice in January.

Shing57
09-02-2002, 08:30 PM
I think that's a really good idea. I draw anime and have developed my own characters for 2 personal project mangas. I was thinking about cosplaying as one of my own characters sometime. I'm glad there's other people out there thinking about doing origional ideas for cosplay.

What do you guys think of them?

Nietsche
09-02-2002, 08:44 PM
Funny you should mention this..the other day someone messaged me and asked if they could cosplay one of my characters, which I thought was a great compliment, although I did advise them that they wouldn't be recognised but they didn't mind so I gave them the go ahead anyway

She's top left corner

clockwise from top left- Hope, Neon, Eleanor and Lance (http://images.cosplay.com/data/3013/33lazy_day_.png)

Space Invader
09-02-2002, 10:52 PM
I have a whole slew of characters, and a storyline to boot. However, I yet to post them ^^. But, all my female characters have a certain color associated with them... pink, red, orange, yellow, chartruse, green, blue, or purple. Then, thay all have their parallels... baddies. Evil. Their shadows. This is one outfit I would love to make, and it would be really simple too. This is the evil pink one... BTW, yes, all the evil girls have kind of suggestive outfits. It's kind of a traditional thing, if you know what I mean - it accentuates the whole evil and low-moral attitude they have. Whee. If you guys want I'll post more of my work.

P.S. - yes, they are the same person. The sketch on the left is just a rough one in color, the one on the right is a polished B&W one.

Haruka
09-03-2002, 04:21 PM
i have often thought of doing my own character as well ^_^ ack...needs to post pics!
im glad that there are other people out there who want to do the same thing! i think my character is kinda like a little cat-girl..shes got this really cute pink kimono and black obi (its rather simple..but sooo cute ^_~) by the way Ms. Invader...you are a very fine artist! ^_^ your costume design is very original!

Shing57
09-03-2002, 04:25 PM
I agree! That outfit design is incredible. I'd really like to see how you cosplay it, Space Invader. =)

Mei Lan Chang
09-03-2002, 06:24 PM
Very impressive Kristen. I hope we go to the same con sometime and you wear that!

katrinastrife
09-04-2002, 04:22 AM
Oo! I'd love to do an original costume someday too... I think that the most noticable sorts of original costumes to do (if you're into getting your pic taken a bajillion times) are catgirls. Or something with an absurd hairstyle (people just seem to notice neon coloured hair...)...

^^* sorry, I guess I'm one who likes to hog the spotlight, or something... I'm not a good enough artict to come up with the drawings I need for the costumes I think of. They'd be cool if I could put them on paper.

And Space Invader! That costume rocks! I wish I had THAT much creativity...

Space Invader
09-04-2002, 04:05 PM
*GRIN*
Wow, I got a ton of postive comments!! Thanks you guys! Yeah, I plan on cosplaying as some of my original characters in the (near?) future. Whee! You guys can go and visit my art site, Animagic (it's linked in my profile) to see a few more pieces - however, I haven't been able to update it in a loooooooong time because I lost my FTP login info... *sweatdrop*

kelldar
09-04-2002, 05:18 PM
hee! I just did an original character of mine for dragon*con.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=7865

there's a few more in my member's gallery, too. ^_^ It was a weird experience, that's for sure.

Kendo_Bunny
09-04-2002, 09:48 PM
I was an original character for Otakon. I wore a black pinstripe suit (mens, so it fit a little differently, and really accentuated my figure) with an open vest, untied tie, open collar, hair chopsticks, and a tilted 40's-style hat. (Sorry, I don't have a good picture ^^; )
I had the pieces with me, and it went from a costume to a very complex story in about twenty minutes. At first I was supposed to be Vicious' little sister Ruthless, but without white hair, that didn't work very well ^^; So later I just developed my very complex history and got a semi-amusing sign (Beware of my camera! It will suck out your soul!) Another tip if you want to get your picture taken in an original costume: wear an amusing sign, and act like you're from a real anime.

Quies
09-05-2002, 09:02 PM
actually me and my freind are doing two of our original char if we can actually go to A-kon for one of the days.
they began as random but now they include another friend of ours and is being written up as a story (okay novel is more like it) by my friend. yes. they have a whole world tha has evovled around them that turns into so really random conversations.
don't have any pic of her readally avalible...

i must say though..making the bat wings for her was much fun.

katrinastrife-if you think of a costume you really want to do i could try and help you draw it up. just a suggestion.

Oshi
09-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Original char. Oshi. Yup. My first costume. Wore at Otakon and Monday of AXNY. But... to little effect. Note to self; don't forget hair color next time... yes, I forgot it for AXNY... -_-;
PS: my old avatar, with green hair.. that was doctored in Photoshop.

But, back to the character Oshi... yeah, he's 3 years in development now, and I've settled on his look and abilities, not much of a background story though... pretty mysterious like that ^_^;

I even discovered the kanji for "Oshi"! *points to bottom right of avatar*

Kenshin Ken
09-13-2002, 12:16 AM
I'm thinking of making a original costume myself too! ^_^ the thing is....hwo am I gonna get a costume to look damn good...while being noticed..*think*...hmm..I'm not one for bright colors... more like stylish armor like stuff...*shrugs* One day.. ONE DAY!! I shall make a original costume!! ^^.

XxNANA_AYUxX
09-13-2002, 05:32 PM
original chars huh? hmmmmmmmmmmmm bwahahahahaha..
::digs through her note books, and art books:::
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=8429
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=8428
http://members.aol.com/mytenshi4eva/images/miya.jpg

Ina
09-13-2002, 05:45 PM
love your drawings nana ayu!

XxNANA_AYUxX
09-13-2002, 06:48 PM
thank you!!! ^ ___~