PDA

View Full Version : Chain mail help

DigitalCactus
09-03-2002, 12:24 AM
Bonjour people! I was wondering if anyone has had the joy of making their own chain mail... I've thought about using a variety of things.. Not sure what to use though. If you know of a good material/technique I could use your advice.

Dvin
09-03-2002, 10:09 AM
Well if you have alot of time on your hands I would suggest making real chain mail....But it requires an extremely large investment of time! If you go to www.sca.org and search around a bit you'll find some good techniques on how to make chain mail or just use google and search for chain mail

engrish
09-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Back in the old days real chain mail was made piece by piece. I guess it was worth it to invest that much time in making chain mail considering it could save your life on the battle field. However, I think that's a tad bit too time consuming for costuming purposes. The only idea I can think of now is to get some of the chain mail used in fire places and try to work with that. Good luck.

Cynthia
09-03-2002, 01:14 PM
You could always make your chain mail out of keychains. They also sell chain mail kits online. There's a company named Museum Replicas that will make whatever you want out of chain mail with your choice of chain mail (brass, blackend, etc.)

A J
09-03-2002, 02:08 PM
If you're willing to spend the time, you can do it the same way WETA did it for Lord of the Rings. You take pvc pipes and slice them thinly into rings. Then cut the rings open and link them up. When you're done, you can spray it silver or whatever color you chose.

You can see what it looks like here:
http://www.lordoftherings.net/media/desktops/orcs_800.jpg

It's very light and can look pretty good, just be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.

A J
09-04-2002, 10:53 AM
Oh I forgot to mention the other way to do it is to find someone who can knit and have them knit a sweater in a big loop stitch. I can't knit so I don't know the specifics but I've seen it done. Have them use something stiff like twine instead of yarn.

Or you can look for this silver mesh fabric they sell at Joanns or Hancock. It gives the appearance of being chainmail but it'll move/act like fabric.

DigitalCactus
09-04-2002, 02:03 PM
hmmm.. I dont think I know anyone that can stitch, but I think I will definatly try that PVC pipe technique... I dont care if it's painstaking.. half the fun of cosplay is making everything yourself :D