PDA

View Full Version : Milliardo, Gundam Wing, White Fang version

luxera
09-12-2007, 06:08 PM
I need help! The place that gave me a quote for my commision cant have it done in time by AnimeUSA. I think i can gather the clothes myself for the White Fang outfit, but since this is my first outfit i would just like some help. Where would you suggest i get a double breasted vest with matching pants, a cravat, the coat with the cuffs and the boots? Would like a regular men's clothing store have this stuff? Any help is appreciated.

Pic 1 (http://images.quizilla.com/G/granate/1054095136_uresgzechs.jpg)

Pic 2 (http://www.flowerstorm.net/disa/Pictures/GundamWing/zechs-01.jpg)

Pic 3 (http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/vonnegut/64/6x9-1.jpg)

I dont sew, soooo yeah. Thanks!

AVAAntares
09-14-2007, 02:32 AM
First of all... *ahem* SQUEEEEEE!!!! That is one of my favorite costumes ever. :toothy:

/end fangirlness

Okay, back to the costume. Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to find these *exact* pieces all that easily. You could do minor modifications to existing pieces, but that will require a little bit of sewing, gluing and/or ironing together with thermal adhesive. Don't worry, I'll try to make it easy; items you need to get at the fabric store are in boldface, and you don't really have to sew anything except the buttons. ^_^

Here's your mini-tutorial, which I am making up as I go:

VEST & PANTS

For the vest and pants, which have to match, I would start haunting thrift stores for a double-breasted suit in the right style and color. The pants should fit well, and the jacket should be close (though it doesn't matter if it's exact, as you can alter it pretty easily without sewing).

Once you have your suit, simply remove the sleeves from the jacket with scissors or a seam ripper. Fold the cut edges under and stitch, fabric glue, or Heat-N-Bond (fusible web/iron-on adhesive; you can get it at any fabric store or Wal-Mart) them underneath so the raw edges don't show.

On the front, replace the flat suit buttons with a double row of round pearl buttons. (You might want to make these decorative instead of functional, and use hooks-and-eyes, snaps or Velcro to hold the front of the suit closed; the pearl buttons will probably be too small to stay in the buttonholes.)

If the suit jacket is too big, pick up an elastic sweater or vest clip (it's a piece of elastic with metal clips on each end) at any fabric store. This piece clips to the fabric on the back of the vest. You can adjust it to pull the fabric tighter and tailor it more to your frame. (For being a 19-year-old guy, Zechs has a very hourglassy figure...)

COAT

The grey coat is a little trickier, because men's coats aren't typically cut like that. If you can find a women's autumn dress coat in grey... Well, if you're on a time crunch, any grey coat with lapels will have to do. :o

(I own the pattern for that coat. In fact, I've made it several times, in several colors, for various characters...)

For the cuffs, pick up some stiff fusible interfacing at a fabric store. Iron it to some off-white or very light grey fabric that is similar in texture to your coat fabric. (If you don't have any idea what your coat fabric is, ask for help at the fabric store. If your coat fabric is really flimsy, don't try to match it; get some trigger poplin or twill or something stiff for the cuffs.)

Measure around the sleeve of the coat with a measuring tape. Cut a rectangle of the interfaced fabric that is a couple inches longer than your cuff is around, and twice as wide as you want your white cuff to be, plus one inch (probably around 13" wide, total; length will depend on your coat sleeve).

Fold this rectangle in half with the interfacing on the inside, so it is the proper cuff-width. Iron it flat. With fabric glue, Heat-N-Bond or stitching, close the edges of the rectangle so it is a flat, two-layer piece with a fold on one edge. If you roll this into a circle, you have a cuff with one folded edge.

Next, using glue/fusible web/stitching, you are going to attach the non-folded edge of the cuff all the way around the INSIDE of the coat sleeve. (You can turn the coat inside-out to make it easier.) Line up the seam of the sleeve with the seam of your cuff for best results, and pin the cuff in place before you start gluing/sewing so it doesn't shift.

When this is done, you will carefully turn everything right-side-out, then fold the cuff back over the outside of the coat sleeve. Turn up the cuff just below the actual edge of the coat sleeve -- you don't want any raw edges to show -- and iron it flat to make a creased edge. You should end up with only the white cuff showing at the end of the sleeve; the coat fabric should not be visible unless you look up inside the sleeve.

Repeat the above for the other arm. :)

BOOTS

I'm going on memory -- one of your references didn't load, so I don't have a good full-body picture -- but I think he's just wearing basic equestrian dress boots, or something similar enough to get by. Go search eBay for any combination of the terms "equestrian huntseat riding dress tall boots." Find used ones if you can; they're cheaper and already broken in, so you won't have to spend so much time softening the ankles.

Oh, and before you buy, measure around your calves in your suit pants. It is imperative that you buy boots with the proper leg width -- otherwise, they won't go on!

SHIRT

The shirt is tan or light grey, depending on the picture... look for one at Goodwill. It's not a standard Oxford collar, but unless you're going to custom-dye a tuxedo shirt, it's not worth worrying about. :)

CRAVAT

Get a white silk or linen scarf -- or a plain strip of convincing fabric -- and find somebody who knows how to tie that delightful English scarf-knot. ^_^ Or just wrap it around your neck twice, tuck the long part up through the bottom and out over the top, blouse it nicely and tuck the rest into your vest.

GLOVES

Plain white gloves; easy to come by. Hit a Halloween costume shop, an antique or vintage clothing shop or a thrift store.

That's all the clothing, isn't it? I think so...

I don't suppose you're coming to ACen, by any chance? We've planned a big Gundam W photoshoot with all the pilots and OZ, and my Noin costume needs pictures with your Zechs costume... :D

AVAAntares
09-14-2007, 02:39 AM
Scratch what I posted earlier about the vest. I just found this picture (attached) which shows that the double-breasted thing IS a full suit (with cuff detail, even...), so you don't have to worry about cutting the sleeves off unless you just want to save yourself the extra heat and fabric weight. :)