PDA

View Full Version : Denver Costume & Cosplay Society is go!

Beverly
09-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Just a heads up, for you folks that didn't make it to the panel (or if you did, too!), that the DCCS website is now active, along with the forums. Everything is go, please come and participate, and let's get some things going in this community! Thank you all for attending at NDK, and we hope to see you soon!

denvercostuming.org (http://denvercostuming.org)

~J-Chan~
09-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Finally!!!!!!

IchiHaneTenshi
09-19-2007, 07:19 PM
^^; I'm probably going to put it out there for CCSUD to join it. I'm in charge of that group. I'll talk to everyone. I'm really sorry I didn't make it to the panel. I had costuming emergencies. :x

Ifria
09-19-2007, 07:47 PM
; ; I hope its not Denver exclusive...

darth_teca
09-19-2007, 11:38 PM
; ; I hope its not Denver exclusive...

Nope, you can be from anywhere! Hell, you don't even have to be from Colorado to join. ^.^

ako_pah
09-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Is there any kind of fee to join DCCS..........:lost:

darth_teca
09-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Is there any kind of fee to join DCCS..........:lost:

$15 for a year long subscription. ^.^ That also gets you discounts to a local professional make-up artist team and Inara's photography. We're hoping on adding some other discounts at Colorado stores as well. That subscription also signs you up to be part of the International Costumers Guilde, which is the biggest amateur costuming group in the nation. They are a WEALTH of knowledge on how to do almost anything.

D001
09-20-2007, 03:51 AM
Yay!! I'm so excited for this. :D I already signed up for the forums and I'll be sending in my dues in a little over a week. I can't wait to see the DCCS really take off. :D

D

IchiHaneTenshi
09-20-2007, 04:43 AM
:/ A sub fee? My group is free. I dunno about that...If I have to pay to be in it, I'll probably back out. My group is free to do what they want...but it's not worth it to me if I have to pay to cosplay with a group.

darth_teca
09-20-2007, 12:59 PM
There's a couple reasons that we charge a small fee. The main one is that we are required to as the local chapter of the International Costumer's Guilde. The other reason is so that we can do a lot of stuff we normally wouldn't be able to do: get pictures at the Broadmore ballroom, go backstage to see the costumes of touring Broadway shows, get to go look at historical clothing at museums privately so we can get up close to them or sponsor a Masquerade Ball.

The group is more like a community than an actual cosplay group, and as such, we mostly offer services to out members as well as including other people. No one gets paid and the money is completely used for the benefit of the members.

FilthyWarumono
09-20-2007, 01:33 PM
T_T Too bad I'm in so much debt it's not even funny. <weeps>

Yunie-chan
09-20-2007, 03:32 PM
As awesome as it sounds, even I'll be the first to admit a fee kinda shoots things down. Though I'm curious how you guys got these special benefits at such big places.

darth_teca
09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
We'll definitely have some things that will be open to everyone. Probably the things that require money are the things that will be members only, simply because we'll have to put a limit on how many people can come.

Two things are contributing to helping us talk to businesses and possibly work out some deals. One of them is being a non-profit organization, which gives us some standing and clout. That is mostly for businesses around Colorado, although we're still either talking with them or in the planning stages of talking with them.

As for getting backstage, that's were personal connections and being an ICG chapter benefits us. The ICG has been around since the 50's is a apparently fairly well known in the professional costuming world (although Michael knows much more about it than I do). It doesn't guarantee anything, but it helps get out foot in the door. The old ICG chapter in Colorado was able to get backstage for Cir Dis Solei Dragleon (I know I butchered that spelling), so we're hoping to do things much in the same way.

Along with that, you don't have to sign-up RIGHT NOW or even sign-up at all to come have fun with us. There are just some added bonuses if you do.

Tenshinoitami1
09-20-2007, 05:29 PM
wish I could join D:
but i'm not in Denver ;-;
sounds so very cool

Beverly
09-20-2007, 06:21 PM
You can join whether you're in Denver (or Colorado, or the US, or anywhere!) or not! =D Everyone is welcome!

And I must echo Mandi. ^^ The DCCS is a non-profit educational organization, not a club, and it's not exclusive. Mandi explained what the yearly fees do (although I think she forgot to mention that this isn't just a membership with US, but a membership with the ICG as well!).

If you visit the website, a lot more will be explained in the upcoming weeks about what you can do! The DCCS isn't about us (meaning the folks doing the organization bits), but about YOU guys, and what the community would like to do together. Tell us what you want and need, and we can work on those things for you!

Yunie-chan
09-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Thank you for explaining the fee more, as it does clear up some questions.

Tenkage-chan
09-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Eh, you know I'll be joining! I'm a glutton for punishment. ^__^

darth_teca
09-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Ahhh Tenkage!! I just realize I talked to you at the con! Twice and I just didn't recognize you in your two different costumes! X D I LOVED both your Helena and Rydia. I'm really happy to hear that you will be joining the DCCS!

LegendaryCouple
09-22-2007, 10:14 AM
I didn't get to see the panel at NDK, but I am a little curious about joining. Is there any way that we can go once or twice, feel it out, and decide if we want to join or not? I just don't want to jump in completely and realize a little later that it's not what I really want to do.

Beverly
09-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Oh, absolutely, we'd love that! =D Feel free to come check us out and take your time deciding. ^^ And of course, as we grow, we'll have lots more information on the benefits of joining. Although there will always be "open" gatherings that aren't members-only. Do check out the website here and there, we'll answer a lot of questions in the upcoming weeks, as we hear them from you guys. ^^

IchiHaneTenshi
09-22-2007, 07:07 PM
^^ Well. Like I said I'll think about it. Any of you guys that can't seem to make it there can contact me, I also actual cosplay meetups where we go out in cosplay and do fun stuffs. We go laser tagging and all that. We'll be doing a meetup next month. If anyone has any questions talk to me :D.

What exactly do you guys do, though? Events and such? I'm curious.

Beverly
09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Events will be all over the board, from meetups like the old picnics used to be, to workshops and tutorials, to (in time!) getting backstage at events like Cirque, and other kind of "insider" things. Our status as a non-profit educational organization and affiliation with the internationally known ICG gives us a little more "umph," as it were, when working with potential hosts and other organizations. This is also where the yearly dues come into play, so we can reserve spaces and time for the members. We're not keeping that money... we're putting it to work for the members!

Of course, like I said, non-members will be welcome at open events, too... but members will get special benefits!

Just to clarify, this is not a "cosplay group/club," again. This is a not-for-profit, educational chapter of ICG. We're part of a much bigger creature, which gives us a really unique, strong position to help our members and community grow! We're going to be doing a LOT, and we want those ideas to come from you, the community, our members!

Again, the website will explain a lot more, and we're looking for everyone's input on things you want to do and experience! So tell us!

~H~
09-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Sounds like fun, and the website looks really good so far ^_^. I would enjoy getting to know you all better, Colorado has some amazing local talent!

darth_teca
09-27-2007, 01:59 AM
Hey guys, I'd just thought I should let people know that there is an FAQ on the web site now that might answer some more questions for people if they are interested.

StrawberryLum
10-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Ok, I checked out the site and I'm trying to understand. It does say in one question that it's for cosplayers in Colarado but the contradicts itself by saying you don't have to live in Colarado in another question. Now how exactly are we, the people outside of Colarado, supposed to reap the benefits when it appears most of said benefits take place in Colarado? Do you mean that you can join and in case you end up in Colarado at some point during the year you've applied for you can end up joining in on an event that may or may not be taking place on the time you're actually in the area?
I don't mean to sound snippish or anything, just trying to straighten things up in my crumpled little mind. :-)

Beverly
10-05-2007, 09:30 PM
You basically just answered your own question. ^^ If you're a member, no matter WHERE you live, you get the same benefits. Members living in Colorado are going to have more opportunities to take advantage of those benefits, purely because of vicinity, not more benefits.

I know we have some folks who are going out of state or out of country for any number of reasons, and they are all more than welcome... and don't forget, you get the benefit of being part of the international organization of the ICG, which will send it's newsletter out.

Bruno
10-06-2007, 01:41 AM
The membership fee really is nominal and gets you a membership in two organizations; Denver Costume & Cosplay Society (http://www.denvercostuming.org) and the International Costumers Guild (http://www.costume.org).

The dues go to cover the expenses of running any sort of organized group; flyers, membership cards, location rentals, etc. Any group that does not have a membership fee, still incurs costs; most likely those costs are being paid personally by the people running the group.

While the Denver Costume & Cosplay Society is intended as a means to form an organized community of costumers and cosplayers in Colorado, membership is not exclusive. Anyone is welcome to join; however, most of the benefits of joining can only be reaped if you live locally, as you would not be able to attend anything that we do.

We made a big push to get the word out at NDK, as that is the primary cosplayer gathering in Colorado. We're getting a little bit of a slow start, but things will be picking up speed. Most likely after the 1st of the year. With the holidays coming up, most people tend to get very busy, and our weather is quite unpredictable.

Michael
President, DCCS

keikana
10-08-2007, 02:12 AM
Y'all who're at the panel already know how excited I am for this. Hope to see more members on the forums!

which reminds me, I still have that signup form from the panel, should I send the fee with that, or is there a system for payin' set up already? d'urrr...

Beverly
10-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Sorry Meggie, we haven't got the paypal set up yet, but you can indeed send in the form! =D

Blasphemy Blue
10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I can try to earn the money (I'd have to pay in cash, unfortunately) but I would be willing to call some businesses to talk to them about affiliating with the group, if you need someone. The Wizard's Chest is a great place for costuming supplies, and I know some other great costuming shops in the area...

ako_pah
10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
If the paypal is ready,I would love to join the DCCS..........:rockon:

Beverly
11-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry, this is kinda late... But we're having our first official event this weekend!

When: Sunday, November 18th @ 4PM

Where: Boba and Crepes
1154 S. Colorado Blvd.
Glendale, CO 80246

Who: This event is going to be open for anyone, and would be a good chance to join the DCCS if you haven't gotten around to it! You can bring your money ($15) with you to the meet-up and join right then and there! We'll have extra application forms in case you misplaced your own or you never got one.

What: Since Colorado has quite possibly the most ADD weather on the planet, the board decided to have a comfortable and fun meet-n-greet so that our members can get to know everyone. We'll also talk about future gatherings, photo shoots and possibly some administrative things about the group.

And totally bring some money for boba and crepes... they're delicious! =D

PS: I'll try to get the PayPal page up by Monday. ^^

Alu-chan
11-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Oooh, I didn't get the chance to get a form at NDK this year cause I was too nervous and shy about it *loser*, but I think I'll try to show up to this one so I can officially join! =)

HawkWalker
11-16-2007, 05:34 PM
I would join if I was in Denver. Sadly i'm on the other side of Colorado. If you have a panel next year at NDK, I'll come check it out.

Beverly
11-16-2007, 06:46 PM
I would join if I was in Denver. Sadly i'm on the other side of Colorado. If you have a panel next year at NDK, I'll come check it out.

Don't forget! You don't have to live in Denver, or even Colorado... or even the US to join (although it helps a little in getting to events ^^; ). Members can live anywhere, and you'll receive newsletters from the ICG, too.

And Alu-chan, come on down this weekend! =D We're just chilling out and talking about what folks would like from the board and members... we'd love your input!

(If nothing else come get a crepe, they're fabulous! ^.~

ako_pah
11-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Do I need to be a member of DCCS to see the gallery........
(no preview at all)

Am I right or wrong......................:geek:

Beverly
11-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Er... no... 'cause there isn't a gallery at all yet. XD Sorry!

ako_pah
12-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi guys..............

Its been a while..........

Any latest news or gig in DCCS..................:cool:

P.S. Advanced Merry Christmas to you all..................:drink:

Beverly
12-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Oh, please check the DCCS (http://denvercostuming.org) website! The forums always has up to date information!