PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] How to insert contact lenses

JVCA
09-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I've made this tutorial for a friend who wants to use them, but I figure: she musn't be the only one who'll find it useful, so here we go!

Firstly, excuse the crumminess of the graphics. XD For a computer drawn thing, I hope it's not too bad. When I start wearing contact lenses again, I'll try do a photo tutorial. :)
Secondly, even though contacts off ebay or whereever are cheaper, it's always safest to go to an optometrist, as sometimes the cheap and nasties really are nasty - I've seen many horror story articles on the news about people who used cheap contact lenses.
Thirdly, never use second hand contact lenses. It's a health and safety issue.
Fourthly, always clean your contacts before and after use, and only ever clean them with proper contact lense cleaning fluid. NEVER use your saliva to clean you lenses - more recently, a famous boxer has lost his sight because he took them out in a retaurant, cleaned them with spit, and put them back in. Understandably, his career is over, and he's lucky to be alive. Don't ask me who he was though - I can't remember. XD It was on the news.

But anyway, here we are:
http://images.cosplay.com/photos/12/1268490.jpg
http://images.cosplay.com/photos/12/1268491.jpg
http://images.cosplay.com/photos/12/1268492.jpg

Doctor Blind
09-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Haha, it's very cute, but also informative ;D

Thanks for the tutorial!

JVCA
09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
You're very welcome. :D

Annie-Mei
09-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the tut, however, for those that are getting contacts the first time, make sure you tell your optometrist that it is your first pair.

They will actually schedule a 1 hour fitting practice with you where the nurse will sit with you for that hour to teach you how to insert and remove the contacts. You'll probably end up removing and inserting them over 20 times in that hour.

Technowraith
09-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Informatove, especially since i'll be procuring contacts at some point in the near future. Thanks! ;)

SpiffyNerd
12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Also, add that if you drop your contact while putting it in, or if you try three or four times and can't get it in, that you need to set it in some contact solution for a second to clean it.

You should always wash your hands before putting contacts in. And, if you're doing this in a bathroom (this is particularly important with expensive colour contacts!), then make sure to stopper the drain of your sink so that if you drop the contact in the sink, it won't be lost.

It's actually illegal to sell contacts like that on eBay, at least in the US. You need to have the contacts fitted to your eye. When getting contacts, even if you intend to buy them online, go to an eyecare professional FIRST to get your eyes measured and examined, so that you know what you need (base curve, etc) when buying online.

chris-chan
12-13-2007, 11:44 AM
very informative (even though i already wear contacts)
if you go to the optometrist though, they tell you how to do this, or so their suppose to if its your first time. and you have to have a prescritption in order to buy contacts in america. other than that, you got it right on the dot.

Ribii-chan
12-13-2007, 08:15 PM
As a contact-wearer, I personally find it easier to

1. put the contact on the index finger of your dominant hand
2. use the other hand to hold up your upper eyelid/lashes
3. pull downward slightly with the middle finger of the contact hand
4. stare at your finger/the reflection of your eye in the mirror, and stick the sucker on.

On anther note...Does anyone know if it's possible to get prescription sweet contacts? I'm....pretty vision challenged, so I'd need them with my powers. (My current ones are -3.5 and -2.25.... -blind-)

chris-chan
12-13-2007, 08:35 PM
As a contact-wearer, I personally find it easier to

1. put the contact on the index finger of your dominant hand
2. use the other hand to hold up your upper eyelid/lashes
3. pull downward slightly with the middle finger of the contact hand
4. stare at your finger/the reflection of your eye in the mirror, and stick the sucker on.

On anther note...Does anyone know if it's possible to get prescription sweet contacts? I'm....pretty vision challenged, so I'd need them with my powers. (My current ones are -3.5 and -2.25.... -blind-)

i wear -3.0 for each, even though im supposed to wear -3.25 in one eye, so im blind too.
and i have to disagree with whats easier. since i broke my elbow about a year and a half ago, i had to come up with a new to put mine in, so now i find it easier to do it all with one hand, except for postioning it on the finger and putting solution on it. but i still need to be really close to a mirror to get the contact in.

Ribii-chan
12-13-2007, 08:57 PM
i wear -3.0 for each, even though im supposed to wear -3.25 in one eye, so im blind too.
and i have to disagree with whats easier. since i broke my elbow about a year and a half ago, i had to come up with a new to put mine in, so now i find it easier to do it all with one hand, except for postioning it on the finger and putting solution on it. but i still need to be really close to a mirror to get the contact in.

GO BLIND PEOPLE! we totally rock in our inability to see ^_^

chris-chan
12-13-2007, 09:23 PM
GO BLIND PEOPLE! we totally rock in our inability to see ^_^

yes! join us! you know you dont want to be left out.

LadiesMan217
02-28-2008, 04:24 PM
oh my gosh, i love this. ive never worn contacts before. i plan on getting my first cosmetic pair from my optometrist, but dont feel like going out there to have them show me how to put them in. this was very helpful.

ESKindler
02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Maybe now I'll be able to touch my eye...

And from there wear contacts! =D

Just a question...how do you get them back out? ^^;;

RedRoses
02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
heh maybe I should send this tutorial to my friend. She's freaked out about getting contacts and when I showed her how to out them on, I think I freaked her out more. XD

She doesn't like touching her eyes...

shivachan
02-28-2008, 07:38 PM
It does take a while to get used to it. The nurse at my optomitrist was amazed at how strong my cheek muscles were just because even SHE was having trouble getting them in to show me what it was like. ^^ I had to go back for a 2nd 1 hour session and the 2nd time was a lot easier than that first time.

Even now, when I get out of practice, it takes me awhile to get used to touching my eye.

chris-chan
02-28-2008, 09:41 PM
i got used to the eye touching part pretty quick. mentally it freaks you out at first, and people who dont wear contacts get freaked out too, but you get used to it. and i had the same problem with my optomotrist showing me how to get them in.
and to all those who think that you can just follow this tutorial and youll be good, have your optomotrist show you how. trust me, it will seriously help. its always better to have someone show you how its done.
and to get them out, i just hold my eyelid down with one hand, and pinch the contact with the other. sometimes it takes a few tries, but i get it.

TwilightAmelia
02-28-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't even really touch my eye. I was one of those squeamish types, all "Eww eyeballs are gross and I'm not putting my finger in them!11!!!" So I find that if I hold my lids open with one hand and tilt my head back a little, you don't have to poke yourself at all. Gravity helps you out a bit. =D

Took me a lot longer to get used to taking them out lol. And I've been wearing contacts daily for 3 years.

chris-chan
02-29-2008, 03:34 PM
ive been wearin mine daily for the past 3-4 years now.

Sakurai_Atsushi
03-29-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm getting my lens fitting in a few days, and I find it strange that i'm more paranoid about sticking a lens in my eye, then I am about being able to actually prod my actual lens with my finger or roll my eyes into my head. [oh the things one does out of boredom >> ] oddly enough, I see just fine. I've only ever had glasses before for eyestrain and papilledema. lulz. crazy inner eye bleeding ftl. oh well, I'm getting my contact fitting, they haven't made it clear if they're giving me lenses to take with [for how much i have to pay for the testing, i sure hope they do >>] and then my parents are taken me for chinese buffet~ ^^

mui
06-03-2008, 09:03 PM
lol i prefer wearing glasses cause i suck at putting in contacts >.< even with the tutorial >.> my eyes are pretty small (lol azn eyes XP) so i cant get them in by myself lol
when i needed to wear contacts to AN, i had to get 2 friends to help me (for about 30 min) to get them in!!one was opening the eyes and another had to put them in! LOL im so noob >.<

Kukkii-san
06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
i had to get 2 friends to help me (for about 30 min) to get them in!!
...which isn't very healthy. Your eyes must have been all bloodshot after that torture. If you absolutely can't put them in, give your eyes a break, leave for the con without contacts, and see your optometrist for another demonstration.

aliceinbox
06-04-2008, 12:28 AM
lol cute drawings ^_^, it's very helpful. i remember the first i time i tried contacts T_T pain...

Yukem
07-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the tutorial.
I'm trying to put my colored contact lenses, practicing about 15 minutes each day. Now, I can touch my eyeball pretty easily. My probleme is that my lense stick on my finger instead of staking on my eye. Anyone have this problem? Do you have any tips?

Wataru
07-22-2008, 09:20 AM
If the contact is sticking on your finger instead of your eye, it could be because you're pulling your finger away too soon. I like to think of the contact as a suction cup. You need to stick it perfectly on your eye without it tilting or turning and when you feel your finger touch your eye, it SHOULD be good to take it away then. Plus, you can kinda feel a distinct difference when the contact goes in.

Hm...*Takes out and replaces a contact* @.o......o.o

Yeah, I put my contact on my index finger of my dominant hand, as someone said before, and then I take my other hand's index and thumb to open my eye wide then I just poke it on. I noticed that my eye made a very slight squish sound when it stuck. >.>

I dunno if I'm helping you any, Yukem. xD

And if it makes you feel any better, my prescription is -4.0/-4.25. xDDD

Yukem
07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Thank you. I'll try to hold a little longer before pulling my finger away.
I have four day to succed before the convention... oh well...

lumierie
07-23-2008, 03:40 AM
I occasionally wore contacts for cosplay. I use my dominant hand to put the contact on and my other hand to pull my eyelids/eye bags. I'm ok with wearing them it's the process of putting it on that freaks me out a bit. It takes me 30 minutes for each eye.

IMO, i think what makes it difficult to put on is because of the thought that it might hurt. I mean when something get in your eye like dusts, it hurts a bit right? What more if you are going to "touch" it with your bare hands and putting a foreign object (contacts) that going to stay there for a while.

Once you get over that, things will be a lot easier, and you'll blink less (must not blink while putting it on!). It takes me a few pep talks from friend before i can over that phase. :P

calen383
07-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Maybe now I'll be able to touch my eye...

And from there wear contacts! =D

Just a question...how do you get them back out? ^^;;

I've seen it done other ways than this, but this is how I was taught to do it by my eye doctor.

We'll use the right eye as the example:

1. Use your left pinkie finger to pull up on your top lid.
2. Right middle finger to pull down on your bottom lid.
3. With your right pinkie and thumb, sort of pinch out the contact. It doesn't hurt and there is little to no touching of your eyeball if you are gentle.

I find it also helps to look up a little when doing this.

penny_dreadful
07-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I just had an opthamologist appointment yesterday and realized that I'm very squeamish about things going in my eyes. Extremely squeamish. Like, I can't physically hold my head still when foreign objects are approaching my eye. Eye drops? No.

Any tips on overcoming that, or is it just a matter of practice? I'd like to be able to wear lenses at some point.

calen383
07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
PD: If it helps, I am also VERY...spazzy when the eye doctor tries to stick things in my eyes. Its the anticipation of someone else doing it, I think. Since I don't control the eye drops, I freak out. Plus, I HATE that thing that they stick in your eye during the exam. I'm constantly freaking out and spazzing to the point that the doctor ends up getting rather impatient with me.

BUT I've been wearing contacts for the last 6-7 years and I've never had a problem. It does take practice, but since I'm in control about how fast they go in, I find I handle it better. Perhaps it will be the same for you. Never know until you try. :)

penny_dreadful
07-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I was thinking it would be the same thing, since I don't actually mind touching my own eyes. Must be the control issue. I'm glad to know it's not insurmountable; I guess I should make an appointment with the optometrist to get fitted.

MimiJap
07-02-2009, 06:38 PM
man i feel like an idiot.. i cant get to get them on! My eyes hurt, Ive spen HOURS trying to get them on.. They are not dry so is not that its just my stupid eye closing so fast.. i dont know what to do and the con its in a week.. i really want to wear them !:waaaah:

nyokun
07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
how do you get them off again though?

Cheatachu82
07-14-2009, 03:47 AM
There are a few methods to putting in contacts. I was taught to look away when inserting them so that I would touch the eye white rather then the iris (which reducing the blinking reflex by a lot). The contact should then centre itself correctly when you blink. Then to remove them, slide them across and pinch the contact to make it spring out painlessly.

Took me a while to get the hang of it :P

Yo-Yo
07-14-2009, 08:27 AM
WAY easier(IMO):

Don't put it on the colored part of your eye. Put it on the side, make sure it's stuck, press down to remove any air bubbles that may make it fold, and look at it. It'll latch on without you having to poke yourself in the eye and hope it's on well enough that it won't fall out once you blink. I've put contacts in on my first try, thanks to that. It changes everything.

To get them off, as Cheatachu(Homestarrunner?) said, slide them towards the side and pinch it to make a small fold to get a grip on or to make it fall out when you blink. Easy as putting 'em in.

thephotographer
03-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Here's a tip my optometrist told me about, for reusable contacts especially: sometimes, whey they first go in, they get a bit of dust or something stuck between them and the eye, which makes them sting and itch and feel weird in general. When that happens, hold your eye open again (by whatever method you prefer), gently touch your contact and slide it horizontally for a few millimeters. Sometimes it takes a try or two (I'm not very good about cleaning my contacts >_<), but it should be enough for your eye's tears to clear out the whatever-it-was.

Lost Cause
03-08-2010, 08:31 AM
One thing I was taught was to always start with the right lens, just to make sure you get the power etc. the right way round.

lzzyxXx
12-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Thank you~

omgorchid
06-06-2011, 03:31 AM
guuh everything on this thread is great. I have contacts sitting in my room that I haven't successfully used yet. xD I'll have to try this and see if it'll work

Lala_chan^^
06-09-2011, 04:58 PM
How do you purchase them in america?i found a great website but dont know what to do

YaoiLover13
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Question about going to the eye docter for the first time, What if you just cant/wont let them put it in? what happen. Im terrifed of trying contacts honestly just looking at the tutorial pictures scared/grossed the crap out of me.

~moo
08-15-2012, 04:43 AM
I know it's an old thread but I thought I would just add:
make sure there is NO moisturiser, soap or anything of that kind on your fingers. Rub your fingertips thoroughly with a towel to make sure there is no greasy substance, or towel fibers. After having put contacts in moisturiser on them, it stings like nothing else.

yukiangel51
10-20-2012, 09:16 PM
awsome nice drawing and im kinda thinking of wearing one to so how do u remove it and nice tutorial

Amethyst Nat
12-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Do you know if costume contact lenses can fit over regular contact lenses? Cause I need glasses and I wear normal contacts when I cosplay. But sometimes I want to try having the character's eye color...

babytarragon
12-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Also aware this is an old thread but just wanted to add a little.

I work in an Opticians and so I can see what can go wrong. I really, strongly urge everyone to exercise care. Never, ever let tap water near your lenses, tap water on lenses can blind you. This is because it can contain amoeba which contact lens solutions cannot kill.

Any doubt at all, please please see your Optician.