PDA

View Full Version : congrats to everyone who was in the masq!

Ayaka
05-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Forgive me if I don't get everyone, sometimes it's kinda hard to associate usernames with real people . . . so if you were in it, post here!

Congrats to Venus and her group, who got an award! I really wish the sound had been working in the green room, we were having to fandub most of your skit. :( Don't suppose you could summarize it for me? Congrats to Parn's Angel, who unless I'm gravely mistaken was in the amazing Bloodlust group (loved your Cher too! Nice meeting you!). Everyone was saying it was awful you didn't win anything, I hear something went wrong with registration? Anyway 16 members, and all with unbelievable costumes. Blew my mind. And of course congrats to Hikaru0 and the other AS people, thanks for letting me be a part of your group!

I'm sure I'm forgetting some people, so pop up here and remind me!

kylash327
05-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Yeah, the Bloodlust group got snubbed...sounds like something with the judges, just sucks. Either way, they had the greatest costumes in my opinion and they got tons of people taking pictures when it was all over, I know they felt like they won ^_^

SoulCrash
05-19-2003, 07:49 PM
HEY, HEY, HEY.... how bout a little thanks to my camera crew for the " live coverage" of the masquerade in the masquerade green room. Altought I didn't like how camera/switcher work....

AngelSamui
05-19-2003, 08:10 PM
That was really wonderful, thank you for the live coverage. It would have been really dull in the green room without it. You guys are the best!

SoulCrash
05-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by AngelSamui
You guys are the best!

You mean me right? The other just sucks.... J/K!!!!!! J/K!!!!! DON'T FIRED ME!! YET!

Don't worry, as soon I get my tapes back from my DH (which will take at least six months). I'll put up online coverage on it...

carly579
05-19-2003, 08:33 PM
well I was staying with Venus' group and their skit was SNK vs. CAPCOM vs. Ebay. It was funny because the memorised their lines like a few hours before the masq. I'm so happy they won. I remeber they had so much trouble remebering the line "oh boy only one minute left for my fanboy pocky grip action figure and I'm the high bidder" then willow (chocolate) out bids her, then she gets Ed (dressed as some fighter from a game I didn't play but everyone knows) to beat up the other bidder, then Willow gets...um...BB hood (Devin) and another fighter (Korin) and they fight with big dollar bills and coins, and do a psyco penny attack. then Venus comes in as jill valentine and they all fight. I forgot who won though becuase I was sitting right next to the speaker and when it came on I went deaf in one ear and my brain began vibrating. BTW I was the Ayeka that no one recognised and I was to scared to stop and pose on stage. I just kinda ran and spun simotansly. I got off stage and was like "why did I do that?"

Saeru
05-19-2003, 09:12 PM
I was in the masquerade, and I do agree that the judging sucked. They needed a best of show overall prize, and an audience pleaser award, because theres no WAY they would have not gotten an award that way.

Saeru

ParnsAngel
05-19-2003, 10:07 PM
hehe, yes Ayaka, I was in the Bloodlust group ^_^;
That was soooooo much fun, even if the judges shafted us. But they shafted everyone pretty much, Saeru had the sweeeeeetest Clover wings and she didnt get anything either...
Oh well though! The con was a blast, I'm glad you guys enjoyed our skit ^_^

yuki_chiru
05-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Their are only so many awards to give out. Some times the smaller groups win the hearts of the juges. There were only three awards and I am sure that the juges loved more than just those, but they could only chose three.
Performance and Audience reaction had to be taken to acount as well. Some of the skits had no closure and the audience was expecting something else, this leaves a cliffhanger with no ending and troubles the viewer.

Ashe
05-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Masq went really smoothly, I felt. It was definitly one of my pleasantier experiences. I did think the award system was a bit weird (the guy who won best solo had two people in his group? no best of show?), but from what I heard it's my impression the judging committee might have been a bit slapdash, so things happen.

Even with the mike problem, it was a good Masq, and a good con, so thank you to all the staffers who put it together!

TheLoneWolf
05-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Hmm....shafting aside,You people were awesome.You make me want to work up the nerve to do a wolf's rain skit sometime soon.....

carly579
05-20-2003, 12:31 AM
I've never been in one of these things, but I felt I was judged fairly. All the walk ons were called up individually and they looked at your costume closely and asked questions about it. I didn't even expect that much really. ^_^ but I do think there should have been a few more individual awards, they were all skit orentated awards given out.

SoulCrash
05-20-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Ashley Rice
Even with the mike problem, it was a good Masq, and a good con, so thank you to all the staffers who put it together!

In behalf of the con staff.. I have to say..... "you're welcome"

Also thank Video Crew too!!!!!

I'm still going to keep on saying this!

Peppermintstix
05-20-2003, 12:45 AM
I'm still angry that I wasn't allowed into the masquerade and if you're someone that didn't show up I'm angry at you because that's just triflin.

Ayaka
05-20-2003, 01:07 AM
Well I can't really complain too much about the judging since our group got an award . . . ^^;;;; Uwaah so selfish I know. But if a judge thought we were good, I don't feel like I can argue with them . . . ^^;;; Everyone was awesome and definitely everyone gets a huge round of applause for all the work that went into their costumes and presentations and for the guts to go onstage. You really have to do it for your own fun and for the audience, and if you get an award, hey, that's a nice bonus.

SoulCrash - Yes, thank you VERY VERY MUCH to the video crew, I would have bitten my fingernails down to the nub without having coverage of the skits to watch. Plus I wanted to see everyone else's skits and costumes!

Carly - Thanks for the summary, I saw your Ayeka backstage, it was really nice! I thought maybe it was you but it was kinda chaotic so I didn't have a chance to say hi.

Peppermintstix - Well I don't know why some of the people didn't show; but I do know that there was a communication issue with when the cosplayers had to show up, apparently, since a number of people were under the impression that they didn't have to show until a "check-in time" they'd been given at registration, and not at 6PM. So I'm just saying that may have been part of it.

DaveZ
05-20-2003, 10:24 AM
I was one of the three craftsmanship judges, and as far as the awards go there just was not enough to go around. We had 77 total entries that showed up, we had 3 Craftsmanship awards, and one judges award for each of the judges. With over 20 entries that were outstanding that should have won something, only 6 could (I cannot comment on the Presentation Judging because we didnít see any skits).

Little Star's Paine costume was so outstanding, had so much detail and work involved there was no question it was exceptional costume of the con. The Chobits costume had been completely hand made and where so well crafted, I think Chi costumes are so over done at cons it is hard to judge them fairly because you see so many, yet these blew me away. The novice award went to the Malice Mazier J-Rock group, again costumes you see a lot, costumes you see store bought pieces for them. But the ones presented had a lot of detail work and were handcrafted. I can only speak for my judges award (not that I didnít agree that the other judges choices were good) and the two Rayearth girls worked together on their costumes and their work really stood out in my mind.

Sure the Vampire Hunter D group was great, and we did debate out our choices a lot. There was also a great Lady Uni, an Artamage III, a little Pretty Sammy, an Inu-Yasha with claws-teeth-and-eyes, a great Princess Toadstool, every Clover was outstanding, Hello Kitty, and that is just a few off the top of my head that I would have love to give awards too.

Dave Z

Scrapps
05-20-2003, 12:32 PM
I do agree that the Paine was awesome. She had the hair *and* the eyes, but the Rikku and Yuna looked like everyother Rikku and Yuna I have seen (they did good jobs, but I look for something special)

Saeru's clover costume WAS special though. How many Shu's do you see with wings that actually move? Actually, how many winged anime cosplays have wings that actually move.

And the Carmilla costume rocked! I wish I would have gotten a picture of it. But this my also stem from her being a friend of a friend. You don't see the costume often and when you do it isn't really great. Her's was awesome.

Carly: Your Aeka was really good.

A lot of people did excellent jobs. I agree with the skit judging, but to me there were so many better costumes than the ones that won.

But Dave thank you for not having little kids win, just because they are little kids.
Scrapps desu

carly579
05-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I agree that there were so many great costumes. I was happy to be there and I learned a lot about how to improve my costume designs. Thanks to every one that took the time to answer my questions about their costumes.

Hikaru0
05-20-2003, 07:17 PM
I personally think everyone should've gotton some sort of award for having the guts to go up on stage! Like a certificate or something. ^_^ and me and Shindee STILL plan on giving the Vampire Hunter D group awards.

Ashurii's fraggle rock wig deserves an award all on it's own ^_~

venus2869
05-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Ayaka
Forgive me if I don't get everyone, sometimes it's kinda hard to associate usernames with real people . . . so if you were in it, post here!

Congrats to Venus and her group, who got an award! I really wish the sound had been working in the green room, we were having to fandub most of your skit. :( Don't suppose you could summarize it for me?

::wearing her "GOT SOAP 2003" shirt, stained with tears as she types::

Thanks Ayaka! It was my 1st skit & 1st time entering a masquerade contest! If you want, I have a copy of the script still on disk here somewhere! I can email it to ya! I was just sooo overwelmed with it, that I wanted to cry but the tears just wouldn't come out! I didn't cry until I got home & put it on our bookcase :blubber:

Anywho, thanks again to everyone & we're gonna start workin' on the probs we had this year for next year ASAP!!

Ayaka
05-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Ooh yeah, that'd be cool, if you could PM it to me or something when you have a chance? ^^

HEDGESMFG
05-21-2003, 06:54 PM
I was that blue haired insane guy(The one that went from running around thinking he's his own Mobile Suit, to sobbing on his knees to being knocked out to giving a threatening disclaimer) cosplayer, and I must say that it was quite a fun experience to get out there and let other people laugh at my insanity. I didn't win anything, nor was I expecting to, but at the same time I apparrently gained a 'fanbase' the next day for my act...and that's good enough for me XD

I personally felt the giant Hello Kitty group should've won something as well...it takes guts to get in something that hot, and unstable and go out there and dance in it. Also, next year they'll hopefully co-ordinate on the "1 award per group" rules. (Not saying anything to the group(s) who got more then one, you did great enough to earn 2...it's just with all the entries it would be a little more fair to be kept to 1 per group).

Next comes figuring out how to pull off next year...

RedPikachu
05-22-2003, 01:33 AM
I have complaints about the masquearde, but there were some things that were much much better this year. The judging was a little weird (I love you Will English, but how did you get to be a judge?), I didn't quite get it, but I can't really complain too much because my group won Judge's Choice for workmanship. One thing I was VERY happy about the masquearde wasn't like 6 hours long....

ProjectJustice
05-22-2003, 08:38 AM
hmm.... I remember last year there was no pre-judging. I like pre-judging alright the only problem was they asked only about a couple things and one of the things was the most ghetto part of the Carmilla costume. "What did you use to make her shoulders stand up?"........ Okay Okay I'm not too happy about it but I used cardboard. Why didn't they ask how I designed her costume to be open infront without using a leotard or whatever? They didnt ask what the armor was made out of or even the props (atleast they didnt ask me). What kind of questions are they supposed to ask? I have never been pre-judged before. I am not trying to be hostile I just think I wasn't able to convey enough importaint info to the pre-judges. This was a once in a lifetime project for me. We will never get all these characters or the people to play them at one same con ever again. I am not upset that we didn't win anything as I am upset that I wasted over half the convention not to mention months making all the costumes for what feels like a dream that I cant remember.

Maybe I'm just venting. I think its a personal problem. I love Acen and now its over. Where did it go? Please do not pitty me for I asked for it myself, it was self inflicted.

Thank you all for your loving comments about my bloodlust group. I now realize that people actually apreciated all our hard work. I am very happy I had the opertunity to do a project of this size with soo many talented cosplayers. I do not know who all is on cosplay.com that was in my project but I will thank those whom I know are here forsure. Ashley Rice, ParnsAngel(Erin Hamberg), and JoshuaPalmer. One big THANK YOU! If I missed anyone please let me know that you have an account with cosplay.com so I know who is all in here.

TheLoneWolf
05-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Dude,don't beat yourself up over it.You rocked!

HuongStar
05-22-2003, 01:48 PM
I wasn't there but I did want to chime in and say that your Bloodlust group looked amazing in all the pictures found on Cosplay.com! I really wish there were more detailed pictures of all your costumes but the Carmila and Charlotte costumes look gorgeous.

Hikaru0
05-22-2003, 04:17 PM
*bounces* I gave you a prize Brandon!! *flail flail* Did you like it ok? Me and Cindy still plan on awarding you guys! lol I was too shy to give you the prize myself so I gave it to Ashley to give to you ^_^

Ayaka
05-22-2003, 06:03 PM
You guys absolutely blew my mind when you came backstage. I saw one, went "wow!" and then you kept on coming. I just about died, I love Bloodlust. So maybe you didn't win an award, and I'm sorry if you didn't have a good time, but you DID leave a huge impression on everyone who saw you. (BTW the construction questions were a bit random, don't feel bad about it.)

So how DID you manage to keep Carmilla's dress open in the front like that?!

Peppermintstix
05-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by ProjectJustice
hmm.... I remember last year there was no pre-judging. I like pre-judging alright the only problem was they asked only about a couple things and one of the things was the most ghetto part of the Carmilla costume. "What did you use to make her shoulders stand up?"........ Okay Okay I'm not too happy about it but I used cardboard. Why didn't they ask how I designed her costume to be open infront without using a leotard or whatever? They didnt ask what the armor was made out of or even the props (atleast they didnt ask me). What kind of questions are they supposed to ask? I have never been pre-judged before. I am not trying to be hostile I just think I wasn't able to convey enough importaint info to the pre-judges. This was a once in a lifetime project for me. We will never get all these characters or the people to play them at one same con ever again. I am not upset that we didn't win anything as I am upset that I wasted over half the convention not to mention months making all the costumes for what feels like a dream that I cant remember.

Maybe I'm just venting. I think its a personal problem. I love Acen and now its over. Where did it go? Please do not pitty me for I asked for it myself, it was self inflicted.

I think you brought up some excellent points. What does it take to be a judge for cosplay? Are they just regular staff regulated to that section or are there actual professionals asking questions? I think it would be more fair to have an actual costume maker or just an professional seamstress to come in and ask questions, and check seams. heh.

ProjectJustice
05-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Hikaru0
*bounces* I gave you a prize Brandon!! *flail flail* Did you like it ok? Me and Cindy still plan on awarding you guys! lol I was too shy to give you the prize myself so I gave it to Ashley to give to you ^_^

AH HA yes That was from you! THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!! I was told who it was from but I am horrible with names I need to see the face that goes with the name if I'm going to remember it, and sometimes even then it needs repeated. Thank you for the wonderful gifts. It really did make me feel good. Next time please don't be shy, I am nobody to be shy around I am a lil' shy myself at times.
Your Charlotte was beautiful by the way!
The Charlotte I made was actually the first dress I ever made, the second dress was Carmilla. How did I do for my first dresses? There are mistakes but I wont point them out unless I think your looking too close.:crylaugh:

ProjectJustice
05-22-2003, 11:29 PM
You guys absolutely blew my mind when you came backstage. I saw one, went "wow!" and then you kept on coming. I just about died, I love Bloodlust. So maybe you didn't win an award, and I'm sorry if you didn't have a good time, but you DID leave a huge impression on everyone who saw you. (BTW the construction questions were a bit random, don't feel bad about it.)

So how DID you manage to keep Carmilla's dress open in the front like that?!

Thank you for the loving comments, I always try my hardest at whatever I do its really my own fault that things werent finished enough for the Masq, I had plenty of time we had been planing it for over a year. There were many many more details we wanted to have which procrastination wouldn't allow. Can we say an actual rubber casted hand mask for the paracite on D's hand? or an armored glove for Meier? I also had teeth and ears for all the vampires and the wherewolf. there were soo many details I regret not being able to do. Don't worry I do not need cheered up. I am very happy with how everything went considering what didn't get done. And we actually pulled it off successfully with soo many characters involved. And from the beginning as I told everyone involved winning was never an issue, I could and do care less if we won or not. The goal was to pull off something that has never been done before and may never happen again, that we could all be proud of. And we did just that in my openion.

How did I make Carmilla's dress stay open like that?
Well I started by researching lingerie and such to see how some of those "hold things in place" *embaraced* Trust me my research is not deep its more like I looked around a lil' in a fredericks of hollywood catalog. Once I had acouple of good ideas of what to do I figured out that I needed to base the entire dress around a swimsuit and lingerie. So I built the dress around a swimsuit basicly. I used some nice stiff inerfacing and based the chest area off some lingerie I found (http://www.fredericks.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Holiday2002&category%5Fname=BestSellers&product%5Fid=90415) by disecting it and rebuilding it using different elastic. After I covered the swimsuit/lingerie thingy with velveteen I wraped wire around it where those black lines on her costume are and sewed them down (which was a huge pain I broke like 5 needles doing it), then I painted them. The wires helped alot to hold the opening in front in shape. After that it was just a matter of attaching everything els to the torso.

Sorry if I confused anyone its really hard for me to explain my methodes to others. Most of the time I don't even understand my own methods. I like to say that I just ATTACK!!

Ayaka
05-23-2003, 01:12 AM
Ooh, interesting, I think I follow you about how you did it. Fredericks has some, err, intruiging lingerie. XD It always seems like no one ever has time to do every little detail that they want to! Costumes are always more complicated than they look at first glance. I wonder, were you the guy who came up to the masq staff lady and said that you were still up in the room sewing and needed to know when you had to check in? :) (Heh even I was sewing the night before, and I had a simple costume . . .)

ParnsAngel
05-23-2003, 01:54 AM
*Chimes in!*
"Branden is god!!!!" *bow down, bow dowwwnnn*
Hehe, but anyway, gotta say, it was the best time ever being in the Bloodlust group with everyone, I feel so lucky being a part of it! That Charlotte dress is my baby, I still haven't put it away anywhere yet cause I love looking at it everyday ^^
(<--- dork)
Hehe, y'know what? We figured out after the masq, as we were takin pictures, that Carmilla's train was on backwards....so the seams kinda...um, showed....ouch ^^;;;
But it still was beautiful anyway! Everything was! I wish we could do it again ^^;;

Bloodlust photoshoot at Branden's house! Wai! *lol*

ProjectJustice
05-23-2003, 04:53 AM
I wonder, were you the guy who came up to the masq staff lady and said that you were still up in the room sewing and needed to know when you had to check in? :) (Heh even I was sewing the night before, and I had a simple costume . . .)

Nope my fellow members of So Desu Ne Cosplay were handeling the masq stuff sinse I was sewing. I never heard of such a rule till after the convention. You would think they would stress something like showing up to "check in" by 6pm at the signup session/interview. All I ever heard was to be in line at 8:45pm. Also last year they just gave you a time to get inline there was no such thing as a check in time or anything.

If not checking in disqualified me I would really like to know? I was originally incharge of the project, but sinse I was still working on the costumes I had to deligate others (or should I say others deligated themselves) to take care of stuff. I understand the past is the past but there were all kinds of rumores going around after the masq as to what happened. Someone even said that the judges thought that we had already shown these costumes at a previous convention.

I realize I am choking a dead horse but I guess I am just trying to figure out if it was a mistake on my part. So I know better to not repeat my mistakes in the future.

I appreciat any info anyone may have.

sefie_tilmitt
05-23-2003, 11:09 AM
I just want to chuck in my own two cents' worth and say it was one of the best organized Masquerades I've been in. I've competed in about five of these previously, and this one just went so smoothly from a "cosplayer waiting in line" standpoint. Oh, I was the Ayane from DOA:2. Despite being in that many other Masquerades before, I've never had costuming judges or anyone inspect a costume beforehand, so I thought that was really neat.

Also, I liked the layout of the greenroom and how easy it was to navigate around the back of the hotel.

Was anyone else *freezing* tho? *shivers*

But yes, congrats to everyone for going up there, beating those stomach butterflies, and showing everyone your awesome creations.

Ayaka
05-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Ah, I wasn't the only one would was cold! I think the people in heavy costumes appreciated it but I was freezing.

Justice - I think you'd have to ask the staff, when Venus comes back around, she was masq staff so she might know.

DaveZ
05-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Anime Central cosplay is changing slowly. No there wasn?t craftsmanship judging last year or any pervious year. This is something I have been suggesting to ACen staff to change since after year one. In ACen?s history of cosplay they have always given the Best of Show award to the best looking costume or group of costumes, performance was not really considered. Which I found a little odd, since they didn?t have separate craftsmanship judging. After last years cosplay they really wanted to incorporate craftsmanship judging, and luckily it was able to happen.

However they still have a very small number of awards for such a large number of entries that they have. This means that costumes that are ?more than worthy of an award? will get passed up. Changing the awards will be something that will get brought up with the Cosplay staff. Will it change? That remains to be seen.

The craftsmanship judges did all their judging backstage and never saw any of the performances, we had our decisions done and ready to go before the performance judges were done and brought back to the judge?s area. We told them our choices and they then picked who they thought were their choices.

Another problem ACen needs to work out is the online cosplay registration. This is the first time they used it and it made the sign up sessions a lot more chaotic. Online sign up can be a double edge sword. Most will us it properly. However, some people will use it to hold a spot for them, then they may join with another group or not finish their costume and just not show up. Some people will not want to fill up a spot until they know their costume is done, or they know they can make the con. So they wait until the con to sign up and find out that the numbers have been filled. Hopefully next year the kinks in this system will be better worked out, and make it more fair overall.

To ProjectJustice:
As a side note, the time you showed up to the cosplay had no bearing on how we judged your costumes. To us as long as you where there when it was time to judge you that was what was important. The cardboard to keep up the shoulders is not a bad thing, and we did not lower your rating because of it. We didn?t ask you every question, but some we where familiar with how things where done. I?m sorry if you didn?t think we spent enough time looking at your work or asking enough questions. We were very impressed by your costumes and thought you did a great job, choosing winners was not an easy thing to do.

Hikaru0
05-24-2003, 05:08 AM
>>Your Charlotte was beautiful by the way!
The Charlotte I made was actually the first dress I ever made, the second dress was Carmilla. How did I do for my first dresses? There are mistakes but I wont point them out unless I think your looking too close.<<

aww, tanks! ^_^ It was a first shot on elaborate for me, and I have absolutly no sewing knowledge whatsoever. The two dresses you made were absolutly STUNNING! I was very much impressed :D
lol hey, if I ever see you at another con, I'll have to wave furiously like a madwoman XD

Peppermintstix
05-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by DaveZ

Another problem ACen needs to work out is the online cosplay registration. This is the first time they used it and it made the sign up sessions a lot more chaotic. Online sign up can be a double edge sword. Most will us it properly. However, some people will use it to hold a spot for them, then they may join with another group or not finish their costume and just not show up. Some people will not want to fill up a spot until they know their costume is done, or they know they can make the con. So they wait until the con to sign up and find out that the numbers have been filled. Hopefully next year the kinks in this system will be better worked out, and make it more fair overall.

This was my problem. I didn't get in the cosplay at all because the registration was filled up by the time the con started, They didn't even bother letting people know that it was filled you had to find someone and ask questions. I didn't register online because my costume wasn't complete at that point and I didn't think it was fair to hold up a spot. not everyone sees it that way unfortunately.

Thanks to sister girl who answered my questions about the judging. And I agree that the Paine costume was incredible, but for the bloodlust group to walk away with nothing seemed entirely inexscusable.

I don't want to insult anyone here but that's how I feel.