PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Costume/Cosplay Contest?

ShiNo_Usagi
09-23-2007, 05:53 PM
I was hearing that if you yourself are or have a person in your cosplay group who is concidered a 'professional' cosplayer you cannot enter the costume/cosplay contest. This makes perfect sense but I wanted to know if anyone knew for sure. I asked some person from the MegaCon site but they couldn't answer my question so they forwarded my e-mail to the anime club that runs the contest. I have yet to hear back. Hopefully I will but in case I don't I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask people what they know ^^

Thanks! =)

dennisud2015
09-23-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd like to know what they consider a "professional" cosplayer?

And would it apply to skits or just costumes!

Mr.D

Hime no Toki
09-24-2007, 07:50 AM
In general, people who are paid commissioners who make costumes or outfits for a living cannot enter a costume contest - I've seen it in the rules for several conventions but cannot remember if this applied to MegaCon. But normally it does, since costume contests are considered amateur events.

ShiNo_Usagi
09-24-2007, 09:02 AM
In general, people who are paid commissioners who make costumes or outfits for a living cannot enter a costume contest - I've seen it in the rules for several conventions but cannot remember if this applied to MegaCon. But normally it does, since costume contests are considered amateur events.

I know some con's have a sections in the contests for a Professionals Cat.

I think AX allows your to enter if your professional, but if not then it's rumored that they will be this year.

TheLoveKill
01-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Wow, I hope they don't have that rule in place =/ Well how would they know if you were a professional anyways? I mean even if you did make money off commissioning, I don't think you should be banned from entering just because you might have more experience at making costumes than other people =/

Solo
01-15-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't professional just refers to people who make a couple bucks creating pieces or the occasional costume, I think it goes back to what Hime no Toki said - people who make a living off of selling costumes. In order to be able to support yourself by creating costumes you have to be very good. It's a higher level than those with some extra sewing experience.
In terms of whether a professional can enter a contest (meeting those criteria) I think it up to the contest judges. But I also think it goes into the same gray area of etiquette, as reentering a costume in a costume contest when that has already won best overall in a major costume contest. It really depends on the contestant and the level of competition at each costume contest.

Cry4Eternity
01-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't professional just refers to people who make a couple bucks creating pieces or the occasional costume, I think it goes back to what Hime no Toki said - people who make a living off of selling costumes. In order to be able to support yourself by creating costumes you have to be very good. It's a higher level than those with some extra sewing experience.
In terms of whether a professional can enter a contest (meeting those criteria) I think it up to the contest judges. But I also think it goes into the same gray area of etiquette, as reentering a costume in a costume contest when that has already won best overall in a major costume contest. It really depends on the contestant and the level of competition at each costume contest.

This site should answer that.
http://www.animesushi.com/smf/index.php?topic=3804.0

Foos
01-18-2008, 05:31 PM
As far as I understand, you cannot enter a costume that has won a major craftsmanship award (Best Master's or Best of Show), and if it has won any smaller award, you have to tell them. They get seriously annoyed otherwise.

ShiNo_Usagi
01-18-2008, 09:33 PM
As far as I understand, you cannot enter a costume that has won a major craftsmanship award (Best Master's or Best of Show), and if it has won any smaller award, you have to tell them. They get seriously annoyed otherwise.

I know about the awards thing. Makes sense. I'm more conserend with a person in a cosplay group who is considered "professional" in what they do cosplay wise and helps make parts of the cosplays. Can they/the group compete or not if this is the case?

Foos
01-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Only if they earn their income through costume construction. Someone who does commissions on the side is fine. Someone who is a legitimate seamstress, or is PAID for their craftsmanship by a theatre or production company is considered a professional.

Volunteer helping out a local community theatre's fledging costume department? Fashion design student? Take on prop/wig commissions? Cool, no prob. Build and maintain Mascot costumes for Disney? Employed by a costume shop? Have most/all of your income come from sewing for others? Professional.

I guess it's a case-by-case matter if someone isn't sure. If only one member of the group is like, hardcore professional, they should just not have their particular costume judged but still stagewalk/perform with the group. Just like if you had a prop commissioned that you didn't make yourself, but still wanted it to be on stage XD

That's how I always understood it to be. Personally, I think larger cons should always have special categories for professionals to compete against each other, or at the very least be encouraged to walk the stage. Big, crazy intricate costumes rule. I hope you get an official response in the next couple days. >.< It really, really throws a wrench into things when you're on a schedule.

ShiNo_Usagi
01-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Only if they earn their income through costume construction. Someone who does commissions on the side is fine. Someone who is a legitimate seamstress, or is PAID for their craftsmanship by a theatre or production company is considered a professional.

Volunteer helping out a local community theatre's fledging costume department? Fashion design student? Take on prop/wig commissions? Cool, no prob. Build and maintain Mascot costumes for Disney? Employed by a costume shop? Have most/all of your income come from sewing for others? Professional.

I guess it's a case-by-case matter if someone isn't sure. If only one member of the group is like, hardcore professional, they should just not have their particular costume judged but still stagewalk/perform with the group. Just like if you had a prop commissioned that you didn't make yourself, but still wanted it to be on stage XD

That's how I always understood it to be. Personally, I think larger cons should always have special categories for professionals to compete against each other, or at the very least be encouraged to walk the stage. Big, crazy intricate costumes rule. I hope you get an official response in the next couple days. >.< It really, really throws a wrench into things when you're on a schedule.

Thanks for the response =) I haven't heard for the judges and it's been a few months. Oh well. My group fell apart anyways and I don't want to enter since my friend who made my armour for my costume enters with me. I'm hoping for Anime Expo to maybe have him or someone else from the fallen apart group enter with me =)

chris-chan
01-21-2008, 10:04 AM
its just killing me to know, but does anyone know what time the cosplay contest is?

DustOnMYWings
01-21-2008, 05:15 PM
its just killing me to know, but does anyone know what time the cosplay contest is?

Ok you have to have your Registration in before 11:15 they wont take it any later then that.
Prejudging is at 11 (pointless with the above rule)
Line up is I believe at 4 and the contest starts at 4:30, feel free to pinch me if I'm wrong lol

All the wonderful rules can be found here

http://www.animesushi.com/smf/index.php?topic=3804.0

chris-chan
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
read those, seems interesting. just cant fiogure out why they put the skits and contest in the sme catergory.

gambit86
01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
sucks to know I cant enter the contest even though I've put as much time and effort into my costume as anyone else

Thanks anime sushi!

chris-chan
01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
i know what you mean. i dont know why they discourage against game and original characters, puts a lot of the people who worked hard to make non-anime costumes down, like there isnt a place for them in the cons.

Foos
01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
:| Assassin's Creed freakin' ROCKS. If it were a Japanese video game, it'd be fine, so I can understand the exclusion. Altair wouldn't wait in lines, anyhow. He'd be creeping about the halls chokeslamming storm troopers.

gambit86
01-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Still sucks to know that I'm automatically disqualified to the fact that its not from a certain part of the world....

Foos
01-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Only from the anime costume contest. There are other costume contests that weekend.

Lucifer
01-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Still sucks to know that I'm automatically disqualified to the fact that its not from a certain part of the world....

I don't know if Megacon is doing the mulitple costume contests this year, the site doesn't seem to imply it.

I know FX-Show has a big costume contest, and everything is allowed (anime, fantasy, games, books, etc).

dennisud2015
01-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Seems I'm avaiable for the costume/Cosplay contest this year.

If you need any of my cosplaysI've done:rockon: to use, let me know!

Just look at my gallery if needed!

Mr.D:bigtu:

chris-chan
01-27-2008, 09:09 AM
dustonmywings decided to cancel our cosplay skit, so now i dont have to do one, but if anyone needs a zexion for their skit, ill be more than happy to help out.

negativedreamer
01-27-2008, 09:18 AM

Its weird, they are trying to promote Japanese culture BUT in japan you can compete using an American or whatever character you want...