PDA

View Full Version : English/French speakers in Osaka 2008?

LittleSelphie
09-25-2007, 06:18 AM
I might be working in Japan (Osaka mostly) for six months from March 2008 - fingers crossed for job interview!
While I'm there Daicon7 and the Tokyo Anime Trade Show will be happening.
And I will be attending. With bells on.
Now, I don't know if these are even Cosplay events (does anyone else know?) but if they are I'd be interested in meeting up with any other English/French cosplayers in the area.
Maybe we could do a group-play (Super-Gaijin-Force 5?) or help each other out bumbling around cons...?

This is daicon's page (neither my nor google's japanese is good enough to understand it)
http://www.daicon7.jp/

Michi
09-25-2007, 06:33 AM
If you mean Tokyo Anime Fair 2008, I'll likely be there. :) I live in Saitama though, so nowhere near Osaka! But Tokyo is close to me.

(This? http://www.tokyoanime.jp/ja/index.php <--)

I'll be back home by the time DaiCon 7 rolls around, but I wanna make it to TAF. I dunno about DaiCon, but if TAF is anything like TGS then I'm sure cosplay is allowed and they'll have a specific area for it.

Do you want me to move this to the Japan forum for you...?

LittleSelphie
09-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Sure, move it wherever you think it fits.
Cool if you'll be at the anime fair - is there a big cosplay element there?

Michi
09-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Well, at TGS there was a specific cosplay area where people could take photos. Cosplayers were allowed to walk around in costume, but attendees were not allowed to take photos unless they were in the cosplay hall. I know some events in Japan allow cosplayers to wear their costumes ONLY in the cosplay area (like Comiket), so it might be that way for TAF too. It seems that there isn't much info on the site yet, but maybe I can do some research into past events and see what it was like then. :)

mixaka
09-25-2007, 10:57 AM
I've been looking into events in the Tokyo area and I don't think TAF allows cosplay (except for vendors). Here's an article about the 2007 fair that mentions the ban:
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fq20070316a1.html

But who knows, maybe they'll change their minds this year? *crosses fingers*

Michi
09-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Ah man. They're really big on the necessity of a dressing room at Japanese cons since they aren't exactly like ours where there's a hotel connected, etc, and you don't usually even wear your outfit all around. Oh well. :)

LittleSelphie
09-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Oh gosh-darn-it...
Never mind, we can all show up in business suits and sunnies and say we're keeping up the 'professional business atmosphere'...hmmph
Could someone who reads japanese please do me a BIG favour and see if cosplay/dressing up is mentioned on the daicon7 site, please?
(I know hiragana but only 4 Kanji!)
Thanks!

Michi
09-25-2007, 10:58 PM
I looked over the Daicon site and it does mention cosplay will be part of the programming. :) Not much info yet though, since there's still a year until the event.

LittleSelphie
09-26-2007, 04:16 AM
Wahoo. Thanks!

qcobb
04-02-2008, 08:11 PM
My sister and I are going to Tokyo for month of june, july and august (with a trip to Osaka) we were also hoping to go to some cons but finding informations has been harder than first thought... I didn't even know about the ban! Anyway... we are both french/English speaker! We were wondering which costumes to bring but now that I know about the ban we might pass on cosplaying and just attend dress *normaly*. Which cons are you planning on attending?