PDA

View Full Version : Making Zexen Armor

Lightfellow
05-20-2003, 06:16 PM
Well, to be ready to cosplay Chris for the upcoming conventions, I need to start her costume soon. But...I have no idea how to make armor. Of couse, going in her Grassland outfit wouldn't look nearly as nice, so....if anyone has any idea or can offer me any help, it would be much appreciated.

sunako
05-20-2003, 09:41 PM
Amethyst Angel just posted about her Borus armor in the Expo thread-- I think she's got a tutorial on armor, too.

Amethyst Angel
05-21-2003, 10:47 AM
OOh! Another Chris cosplayer! (Yes indeed, to undertake this costume project, one must be as brave as the lass herself. I commend you.)

Anyway, I've got some links and advice for you:

Here's my armormaking tutorial: (containing pictures of my Chris armor and some of the other stuff I've worked on):

http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html

Here's a link to a page containing pictures of my recently-finished Borus armor as well so you can see how that was put together:

http://amethyst-angel.com/so_cosplay_borus.html

Also, I've uploaded a reference picture for the uniform Chris wears under her armor. (Which were sent to me courtesy of Shadra D.)

http://amethyst-angel.com/chrisuniform.jpg

I've actually finished my version of the uniform but I haven't gotten round to taking pictures of it yet. Lazy me. (Got the boots done too. I'll have to post pictures of those as well...)

In the meantime, here's another reference picture of Chris from the manga, showing her earrings, collar and how her armor attaches to her shoulder pauldrons:

http://amethyst-angel.com/chriscover.jpg

(The hardest part of the costume for me wasn't the armor, it was the wig, which sort of resembles a wedding cake gone horribly awry. Took me three tries before I managed to come up with something that was servicable. Damn these anime characters and their crazy hair. -_- )

Good luck!

Lightfellow
05-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Ahh! ::bows:: Arigatou gozaimasu! ^_^ I could read what she was saying in the manga! Okay, anyhow.

A couple specific questions: Of course, the boots and the gauntlets. That must be confusing as all hades. I'm not even sure how to get started on such things. What would be a good bases to start on. I have until October((I think)) to try and finish this, so I'm in no major rush.
Another question, about how much did it cost and how long does it take

Ooh shoot....I forgot what else I was going to ask.

I've mapped out what her costume and everything on paper...^^; it pays to be able to draw

Ooh! And the hair!! I'm just going to dye my hair silver and put it up like hers. It seems to be alot easier and more authentic than wigs. Atleast, I hope so. o.o; I'm so worried that it won't turn out right.

But~Thanks so much for the help! I can't say thanks enough!!

Amethyst Angel
05-21-2003, 05:52 PM
A couple specific questions: Of course, the boots and the gauntlets. That must be confusing as all hades. I'm not even sure how to get started on such things. What would be a good bases to start on.

The foot armor I made by gluing a layer of plastic sheeting--

(The plastic sheeting, I think I should mention, is available online here at US Plastics. (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=Styrene&product%5Fid=High+Impact+Styrene+Sheet) I think it's the same stuff I use ( I usually got mine from my workplace so I haven't ordered anything from this place yet. Oh, and I think .04 is the proper size. It's very thin.)

--and 2mm craft foam together, then layering them over an old pair of shoes. I sewed the "plates" to the bottom of the shoe and left the top of the plates unattached to each other so that the plates would give and slide past each other a little as I walked. Here's a piccie of the foot armor:

http://amethyst-angel.com/chris_footarmor.jpg

I used silver testor's model paint to paint the surface.

The boots I made using the picture in the black and white manga picture as reference. (It was very hard to determine how they looked exactly so I guessed). They were made out of brown vinyl, gold fabric and red and black trim and had elastic cuffs which slipped into the top of the foot armor. Here's a pic:

http://amethyst-angel.com/chrisboots2.jpg

Here's what the armor and boots look like when worn (ignore the fact that I'm wearing my pajamas:)

http://amethyst-angel.com/chris_boots1.jpg

A word about materials: I didn't realize before I made the boots that vinyl reacts negatively with testor's model paint, causing it to come off whatever surface it's on if the two happen to come in contact with each other. I know that now. When storing the boots, I have to make sure I don't lay them down on the foot armor (or any other part of the armor) lest I ruin it's finish. (Oh, and if you ever happen to get testor's paint on vinyl, a little paint thinner will take it right off. I learned that too.)

Another question, about how much did it cost and how long does it take

Ya don't wanna know. Suffice to say, I've been working on it for awhile. (This was my first armor piece ever, and I made quite a first few failed attempts before I got to where I am now. I started this project back in November. I suspect though, if I were to start over again from scratch it wouldn't take me more than a couple of months depending on how much time per day I chose to spend on it. ) Rough estimate of the amount of hours it took: Around 40-60. (You'd better get a rush on if you want your armor finished on time.)

As for the cost. You'll need about 20 foamies sheets for an average suit of armor ( 1/4" sheets cost about 1.49 apiece) plus 9 dollars for the plastic sheeting (plus shipping if you order it from the internet.) You'll probably need at least two mega-sized packages of hot-glue to stick everything together, and the paint will probably run you back about 10-15 dollars. On the whole, I'd say that you should look to spend at least 50 dollars. (Providing you don't make many mistakes or have to do over a lot of stuff.)

Still, it beats working with fiberglass...

By a mile...

Ooh! And the hair!! I'm just going to dye my hair silver and put it up like hers. It seems to be alot easier and more authentic than wigs. Atleast, I hope so. o.o; I'm so worried that it won't turn out right.

I seem to recall there was a recent thread which dealt with how to dye one's hair silver. The general consensus was that it could be done but that (a) bleached hair usually turned out to be yellowish in hue, meaning that one needed to also use a blue rinse on one's hair in order to get it to look silver and (b) it plays havoc with one's coiffure and can fry it all to hell if you're not careful. If you would rather go the wig route, I'd recommend asking Midnight Belladonna (she has a wig store on ebay.) (http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=5751134) She could probably give you some decent styling advice (or maybe style it herself for the right price. Wish I had gone that route the first time before trying to do it myself.)

I eventually did finish my own wig-- I had to take out threads from the back of a white wig and reconstruct it so that it could be put in a ponytail. Then I had to braid it, and then add a pair of long, braided hair extensions at the back. (Whew. Too much work for a costume I'll probably wear only once if I get the chance to wear it at all.)

Oh well, in any case, good luck to you!

Lightfellow
05-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Yet again, I am in your cosplay-mastery debt! ::bows::
I've printed everything out for reference when I got to buy supplies and everything. I'm thinking of rummaging around Grandma's good ol crafts and old clothes in her garage...she's got enough crap and supplies, that it just might save me a lot of money. I pray it does, anyhow. o.o;

For painting....how did you do that? I was thinking my airbrush machine might work nicely to give it nice even coats of paint. And is there a specific color you reccomend or should I just go harass the guys at the hardware store to find me the right color? ^_~

lol. Can you feel my nervousness of this project?

I've cosplayed before, but I really like Chris, so I don't want to screw up. ^^;

Ah! And I'm lucky. My mom, along with her other job, is a beautician(sp?). So, I just go "mum! dye my hair silver and style it like this!) and I'm set. ^_^

I think that's it for now. I'll definately scan pictures of my final product when it's done. Wish me luck!

Amethyst Angel
05-22-2003, 11:13 AM
For painting....how did you do that? I was thinking my airbrush machine might work nicely to give it nice even coats of paint. And is there a specific color you reccomend or should I just go harass the guys at the hardware store to find me the right color? ^_~

I used Testor's model and spray paint. I once worked at a theater costume shop where I learned how to paint paper mache armor so it looks like metal. (You mix silver and black paint together and dab darker areas of paint at the corner and outer edges of the armor so it looks worn. The raised edges you paint a brighter silver so they stand out more.) The way I usually apply my paint is to spray it with an undercoat of silver and then dab paint on top of that using a large brush.

Ah! And I'm lucky. My mom, along with her other job, is a beautician(sp?). So, I just go "mum! dye my hair silver and style it like this!) and I'm set. ^_^

Cool. Wish I'd had that option. Oh well....

Good luck!