PDA

View Full Version : Bleach:Is it ok to make up your own character

Xanematrix
10-20-2007, 02:15 AM
I would love to do Bleach and I see its been done to death but what if I made my own soul reaper character what do you think?:rockon:

Koisnake
10-20-2007, 03:26 PM
I think that would be great! I see some people who do it, and they came up with awesome characters. ^^

benihime
10-20-2007, 10:58 PM
considering HOW MANY characters there are in bleach, i dont see why people would want to. there are so many characters that are left uncosplayed

crash_override
10-20-2007, 11:55 PM
benihime has a good point, but imo, there's nothing wrong with doing your own character. it's all about making whatever you cosplay your own :]

Yukari Kaiba
10-21-2007, 12:22 AM
i dont see why not, people do their own original characters from series all the time.

Specky0s
10-21-2007, 05:26 AM
hehe it's okay xD i'm doing it
unless u find a shinigami with blond hair....which is my length...i could do kira buh i'm like ....NO ! xD so good luck with that....don't forget to send me a pic once your done =D

DeathCow
10-21-2007, 02:34 PM
psh, break out wabisuke and kira is awesome =P

Danzikumaru
10-21-2007, 11:31 PM
considering HOW MANY characters there are in bleach, i dont see why people would want to. there are so many characters that are left uncosplayed

Agreed. I find it difficult to believe that in a cast that size, you can not find ONE character you enjoy.

Mangochutney
10-21-2007, 11:39 PM
No. It is not okay. Your legs will rot off if you cosplay an original Bleach character.

DeathCow
10-21-2007, 11:48 PM
I would at least limit it to standard shinigamis or hollows too, anything like a lieutenant or captain or arancar and you'll just be getting weird looks

Koisnake
10-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Eeeh, just because theres alot of characters, doesn't mean he has to pick from them. I always love seeing things new, so go ahead!

fightstar
10-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Well you could to Arrancar just a lower not so well know Arrancar. Example would be doing one that has more mask than face, which is to say one that is not Espada level.

Also be prepared to get some flack from the so called purists out there. People in this hobby tend to forget that this is for 'fun' and not a job. So what ever you do just do it and do it well. Stand tall and ignore the haters because you are going to get them.

Just my little old $0.02 on the issue.

karu11
10-22-2007, 05:08 PM
i was told to get ready for some sort of explanation of your character ;p i wanted to do an exorcist from d.gray man(not a main character) and was just warned the same way people are to you right now hehe. i def know how you feel, but part of me is thinking also that it might be nice to cosplay someone and someone else saying "hey nice <character name here> cosplay!" gives you a thumbs up etc..opens up a nice conversation

kimu
10-22-2007, 10:21 PM
And maybe not haters, but also people who will try to recognize the character, because they want to show their love for the series and the work you put into a costume. So be ready for just plain puzzlement, too, if you've made an original captain/vice captain or espada level creation.
Doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it, but if you're ready for the questions, then it won't disappoint you.
The suggestion to make "a shinigami" or "an arrancar" would be successful, in the way you can make "an elf or a ranger" for LotR or "a Jedi" from SW and everyone's okay with it.
Hope it comes out nice!

Danzikumaru
10-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Eeeh, just because theres alot of characters, doesn't mean he has to pick from them. I always love seeing things new, so go ahead!

Didn't say they had to, I just find it difficult to believe that they can only be satisfied creating their own character in a cast that has SOO MANY options. I'd be more understanding if this was from a series with a limited number of named and developed characters, but the cast of Bleach is GINORMOUS.

Toshi_Riku
10-23-2007, 07:44 PM
good luck it really comes down to you
if you want to or not.
i say go for it

anbugenji
10-24-2007, 12:00 PM
well, my Schools Japan Club is doing a cosplay, and I am going to be my own character that is a basic Shinigami, not a captain, not anything but a good ole Shinigami XD....but I just need to think of a good name for my Zanpakto...hmm...any good ideas? please keep the ideas like the bleach Zanpakto names..Japanese

karu11
10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
your best bet is to google Japanese Mythology. I know they like to do that. not a diehard fan to know yet but you can try Susanowo, god of sea and storm a water based zanpakto? *shrug*

xXKujaXx
10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Didn't say they had to, I just find it difficult to believe that they can only be satisfied creating their own character in a cast that has SOO MANY options. I'd be more understanding if this was from a series with a limited number of named and developed characters, but the cast of Bleach is GINORMOUS.

I'm in line with this opinion. What exactly is your motivation towards doing something original?

Arei
10-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Original fan characters are awesome as long as their backgrounds aren't the typical "mary sue" or wotever.

I myself have an original Arrancar I created..only cos Arrancar designs are fun to play with~

KillaBeeSwarm
10-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Bleach is one of those shows that has a huge number of named and unnamed characters, so you could make it work. I see how some could argue that you could be original/unique by doing one of the characters that are rarely cosplayed instead.

Shadowoffire123
10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
well, my Schools Japan Club is doing a cosplay, and I am going to be my own character that is a basic Shinigami, not a captain, not anything but a good ole Shinigami XD....but I just need to think of a good name for my Zanpakto...hmm...any good ideas? please keep the ideas like the bleach Zanpakto names..Japanese

If you wanted, you could use Babelfish translator, and translate a phrase to Japanese...Like "Burning Pegasus Slicer" or something that you'd name your sword. Then use a Romaji translator ( http://www.romaji.org/index.php ) and go from there. I'm not sure how accurate Babelfish is, however, so it's a hit and miss thing. =\

Koisnake
10-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Doesn't mean they have to pick from that selection. Some people want to be original and try something new.

Danzikumaru
10-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Doesn't mean they have to pick from that selection. Some people want to be original and try something new.

Trying something new would be to pick one of the rarely done characters from the huge cast rather than the ones that get exposure. I mean, this cast is so huge, it's likely you'll end up looking like an existing character on accident. THAT'S how big it is.

Also, don't use Babelfish for naming Zapaktou. Get a J>E dictionary, or find one online.

anbugenji
10-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Shadowoffire123 and karu11, thx...but karu11...I'll take ur advice and look that stuf up!....ok, I found a site that is accurate, and here is the new name for my zanpaktou! moeteimasu inazuma which means burning lightning

Mr. Imprezadent
10-26-2007, 10:01 PM
nothing wrong with an original shinigami, just as long as you don't mess with continuity.

Danzikumaru
10-28-2007, 02:38 AM
Shadowoffire123 and karu11, thx...but karu11...I'll take ur advice and look that stuf up!....ok, I found a site that is accurate, and here is the new name for my zanpaktou! moeteimasu inazuma which means burning lightning

Most Zanpaktou are not named after objects, though, but rather actual names with meanings in them. That's why you have to be careful when naming them.

Fireheart Storm
10-28-2007, 12:45 PM
:angel: Since naming the Zanpakuto is one of the bigger things for the characters in Bleach, I decided to write up some thoughts, *cough* Rant * cough* One of the major things you have to consider is the Kanji used, I'll site Ichigo is a perfect example of Kubo taking advantage of this. Phoneticly (did I spell that right?) it can mean 'Strawberry' but the two kanji that make up his name, as he is always sure to point out, is Ichi= first and go=guardian. When I was naming the zanpakuto of the character I had made for an inside joke with a friend, I tried to go for some thing that sounded like a real name, but meant some thing that pertained to the Zanpakuto. So I pulled out my Kanji dictionary and started to look up different Kanji. I knew that -ko is a common ending to female names and I found a Kanji that read -ko, meaning child (kanji can have several ways they are read, that’s why Ichigo thought “sado” was “chado”) My zanpakuto’s abilities have to do with fire and earth, element traditionally associated with Summer. I looked it up and found the primary reading of the Kanji was Natsu, so I decided to go with that. So the name is “Natsuko” with Kanji that read summer child.
So over all, guidelines I would stick with are;
1) The name should sound like a name,
2) in MOST cases, the name pertains to the ability and or look of the Zanpakuto
3)double check your Kanji use, if you so chose to use them, don’t want to be accidentally saying some thing rude
4) these are just guidelines, have fun with it! It’s your character!

Danzikumaru
10-29-2007, 02:55 AM
:angel: Since naming the Zanpakuto is one of the bigger things for the characters in Bleach, I decided to write up some thoughts, *cough* Rant * cough* One of the major things you have to consider is the Kanji used, I'll site Ichigo is a perfect example of Kubo taking advantage of this. Phoneticly (did I spell that right?) it can mean 'Strawberry' but the two kanji that make up his name, as he is always sure to point out, is Ichi= first and go=guardian. When I was naming the zanpakuto of the character I had made for an inside joke with a friend, I tried to go for some thing that sounded like a real name, but meant some thing that pertained to the Zanpakuto. So I pulled out my Kanji dictionary and started to look up different Kanji. I knew that -ko is a common ending to female names and I found a Kanji that read -ko, meaning child (kanji can have several ways they are read, that’s why Ichigo thought “sado” was “chado”) My zanpakuto’s abilities have to do with fire and earth, element traditionally associated with Summer. I looked it up and found the primary reading of the Kanji was Natsu, so I decided to go with that. So the name is “Natsuko” with Kanji that read summer child.
So over all, guidelines I would stick with are;
1) The name should sound like a name,
2) in MOST cases, the name pertains to the ability and or look of the Zanpakuto
3)double check your Kanji use, if you so chose to use them, don’t want to be accidentally saying some thing rude
4) these are just guidelines, have fun with it! It’s your character!

See, THAT'S what I meant. THAT is a proper zanpaktou name.

Fireheart Storm
10-29-2007, 08:39 PM
See, THAT'S what I meant. THAT is a proper zanpaktou name.

Ya! Thanks ^.^;; I have a couple more examples if any one would like me to post them, let me know!

Mesoian
10-29-2007, 08:54 PM
I did it, but keep in mind, you will be explaining who you are to every last person that takes some slight interest in your character. and generally, 9/10, their response after you tell them that it's an original character will be a dissapointed, "oh" and they'll walk off.

Cayomi
10-29-2007, 08:56 PM
I would say whatever cosplay makes you happy, then do it. I don't think it would be bad at all. Something new and different is better than old and the same.

Danzikumaru
10-30-2007, 03:51 AM
I would say whatever cosplay makes you happy, then do it. I don't think it would be bad at all. Something new and different is better than old and the same.

Do I have to keep repeating myself? Seriously? New and different in a cast the size of Bleach doesn't HAVE to be an original character. At all. There are plenty of characters whom are almost NEVER cosplayed.

Cayomi
10-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Do I have to keep repeating myself? Seriously? New and different in a cast the size of Bleach doesn't HAVE to be an original character. At all. There are plenty of characters whom are almost NEVER cosplayed.

What if you are not particular to any of those characters? plus, it is his time and effort to make the costume, so he should do what he wants, not what people think he should do.

Koisnake
10-30-2007, 03:50 PM

You don't have to keep repeating yourself, we all get the point. You don't have to keep repeating yourself everytime someone has to say something about supporting original character. :/

xXKujaXx
10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm with Danzikumaru,

An original character has an original story, your original story =/= a bleach story ergo you are not cosplaying Bleach your cosplaying an original story with clothing designs that you hacked from Tite Kubo.

It may be a harsh way of putting it but it's true >_>;;

Koisnake
10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm with Danzikumaru,

An original character has an original story, your original story =/= a bleach story ergo you are not cosplaying Bleach your cosplaying an original story with clothing designs that you hacked from Tite Kubo.

It may be a harsh way of putting it but it's true >_>;;

It doesn't mean your hacking it from Tite Kubo, you just want to be different. I see no wrong in it. Cosplay isn't about 'Oh, I HAVE to be a character in order for it to be cosplay', no. If someone wants to do an original character because either A. Want to be original B. Want to make their Bleach OC come into reality or C. Doesn't want to cosplay as any of the characters, then its no bad at all.

Your basically your own character from Bleach and cosplaying from is 'copying' from Tite Kubo. Does that make original characters for roleplaying bad? Art? No. Remember, Japan encourage things like Dousinjis, and people make some original characters all the time.

xXKujaXx
10-30-2007, 05:56 PM
It doesn't mean your hacking it from Tite Kubo, you just want to be different. I see no wrong in it. Cosplay isn't about 'Oh, I HAVE to be a character in order for it to be cosplay', no. If someone wants to do an original character because either A. Want to be original B. Want to make their Bleach OC come into reality or C. Doesn't want to cosplay as any of the characters, then its no bad at all.

Your basically your own character from Bleach and cosplaying from is 'copying' from Tite Kubo. Does that make original characters for roleplaying bad? Art? No. Remember, Japan encourage things like Dousinjis, and people make some original characters all the time.

Haha Well played, I completley agree. It's personally an argument that I'm torn on and I believe both sides have a case.

Of course everyone has the right to cosplay whatever they please. It's the exact same argument that comes up in every discussion about fat cosplayers, ugly cosplayers, or whatever visual affliction you may posess. Everyone always agrees that people should cosplay what pleases them.

What I struggle with it that cosplaying an OC confilcts with reasons that I enjoy cosplay so I don't understand why others do it. When your cosplaying an OC your basically doing it 100% for your own enjoyment. There might be a few people who like it because it's bleach but for the most part your not going to get much recognition from others at a con. When I cosplay I do it for myself, I do it for my friends who like to see my cosplays, I do it for con-goers who like to see their favorite characters come to life. To a lesser degree I do it for competition and I don't personally belive OCs should be entered into competition except in the same realms that you might enter a comissioned costume.

Anywho, My 2 cents. I liked your reply, very well written.

DeathCow
10-31-2007, 12:15 AM
In the end, to be blunt, 90% of the people you talk to about it will be disapointed. If you're going to OC something from Bleach, don't expect a whole lot from others unless you add some insanely unique items.

Danzikumaru
10-31-2007, 03:27 PM
What if you are not particular to any of those characters? plus, it is his time and effort to make the costume, so he should do what he wants, not what people think he should do.

See, now THAT is a valid reason. Quoting that you want to be "creative" or "original" is crap because there are so many damn characters, many of which have rarely if EVER been cosplayed, that you can do that with. Though I still find it a bit of a stretch that there are NO characters in the cast that interest you enough to cosplay. I mean, why even watch Bleach if that were the case?

Koisnake
10-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Haha Well played, I completley agree. It's personally an argument that I'm torn on and I believe both sides have a case.

Of course everyone has the right to cosplay whatever they please. It's the exact same argument that comes up in every discussion about fat cosplayers, ugly cosplayers, or whatever visual affliction you may posess. Everyone always agrees that people should cosplay what pleases them.

What I struggle with it that cosplaying an OC confilcts with reasons that I enjoy cosplay so I don't understand why others do it. When your cosplaying an OC your basically doing it 100% for your own enjoyment. There might be a few people who like it because it's bleach but for the most part your not going to get much recognition from others at a con. When I cosplay I do it for myself, I do it for my friends who like to see my cosplays, I do it for con-goers who like to see their favorite characters come to life. To a lesser degree I do it for competition and I don't personally belive OCs should be entered into competition except in the same realms that you might enter a comissioned costume.

Anywho, My 2 cents. I liked your reply, very well written.

Thank you.

I see your reasonings completely. When it comes to original characters, other people who give you a look, or be confused. They may ask "Why" or "Huh?". Some people may even think you just go the costume, but didn't have time/money for a Bleach character, so you made up your own character the day before. This may not be the case, but people will may that.

I know all OCs for an anime don't have much recognition, but like we stated, its the cosplayer's choice. If they don't mind getting as much attention and photos as an actual Bleach character, than go for it.

See, now THAT is a valid reason. Quoting that you want to be "creative" or "original" is crap because there are so many damn characters, many of which have rarely if EVER been cosplayed, that you can do that with. Though I still find it a bit of a stretch that there are NO characters in the cast that interest you enough to cosplay. I mean, why even watch Bleach if that were the case?

And please stop calling Original characters 'crap' and being immature and rude. If he wants to do it, LET HIM DO IT. Stop bringing him down already and let it rest. Repeating the same stuff over and over won't help. Why did he create this board in the first place? He wanted to have an original character, so stop trying to change his mind. Its ok to steer him in the direction you want but please be more mature about it. xXKujaXx had the same exact view as you, but was more mature about it, and he made me think "Wow, maybe you shouldn't create an OC".

Creativity and originality is what makes cosplay worth the while. I mean, I see a crap-load of Sexy-no-jutsu Sasukes, is that crap? No. Yes, the OC will not get anywhere near as much attention as a Bleach cosplayer, BUT if it makes the cosplayer happy, let him do it. Stop bashing already.

borzou
10-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Speaking of which, here is a custom zanpaktou I made for fan fic character from a year ago:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=786633

In other words, you're not alone.

One of us
One of us

:rockon:

Koisnake
10-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Speaking of which, here is a custom zanpaktou I made for fan fic character from a year ago:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=786633

In other words, you're not alone.

One of us
One of us

:rockon:

That is one beautiful Zanpaktou, awesome work!

See? Original designs rock, everyone.

Danzikumaru
11-03-2007, 03:15 AM
And please stop calling Original characters 'crap' and being immature and rude. If he wants to do it, LET HIM DO IT. Stop bringing him down already and let it rest. Repeating the same stuff over and over won't help. Why did he create this board in the first place? He wanted to have an original character, so stop trying to change his mind. Its ok to steer him in the direction you want but please be more mature about it. xXKujaXx had the same exact view as you, but was more mature about it, and he made me think "Wow, maybe you shouldn't create an OC".

Creativity and originality is what makes cosplay worth the while. I mean, I see a crap-load of Sexy-no-jutsu Sasukes, is that crap? No. Yes, the OC will not get anywhere near as much attention as a Bleach cosplayer, BUT if it makes the cosplayer happy, let him do it. Stop bashing already.

I never said OC's were crap, I just said the reasoning for it was in this particular case. I am not being immature, I am merely stating an opinion. Maturity doesn't mean being nice all the time. Bluntness is not an immature quality, if anything it is necessary. If it's what they get jolly off of, then far be it from me to stop them, but I also have a right to state that I feel they are doing it for the wrong reasons and perhaps rather than creating an original character, they should evaluate doing one of the rarer characters.

And from your SnJ example, it seems you and I have very different opinions on what is "crap". I somehow doubt this person will put as little effort into their original design as those types do. Hell, with the exception of the Shinigami (a mostly uniformed and their for non-unique design base), this cosplayer has a lot of potential to work from, ESPECIALLY with Arrancar, and if they can produce and excellent and well thought out costume design, then by all means do so.

But they never stated a love of design as their reasoning. They stated that, in their opinion, that Bleach was done to death and they wanted to make an original Shinigami. Because doing an original shinigami, given the rather bland nature of their design, is TOTALLY going to make him stand out, right? Fact is, doing an original design that people will care about, or that even you should care about, takes a lot of effort and design. Neither of which this user seems to have a will to do. Hence why I've been suggesting REPEATEDLY that they just do an obscure character. Because they don't have the stuff to make an original design.

DizzyFan
11-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm kinda adverse to making your own Bleach character cosplay 'cause my brother got chased by a stalker that did so. <<

That thing was creepy as shit. D:

DeathCow
11-06-2007, 12:30 AM
lololol

anbugenji
11-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Even with that being said, most of the extremely interesting character are over cosplayed, and who says being a OC isn't interesting? since there are so many un-named shinigami, the possibilities are endless for a OC..let alone choosing a squad that one would belong too

whisp
11-07-2007, 09:37 PM
well were not ypur mothers if you want to do it do it

Danzikumaru
11-08-2007, 03:38 AM
Even with that being said, most of the extremely interesting character are over cosplayed, and who says being a OC isn't interesting? since there are so many un-named shinigami, the possibilities are endless for a OC..let alone choosing a squad that one would belong too

That's a matter of opinion. I personally find some of the characters that are under cosplayed to be VERY interesting, if only for what we DON'T know about them. Isane for example. What does her shikai look like? Why does she bind her chest? What happened to her and Kiyone's parents, as they obviously live on their own? I can go on and on like this about SEVERAL characters Kubo has hung up to dry.

anbugenji
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
you make a good point Danzikumaru, but still, well anyway, enough with this on going argument XD anyone know when the next Gen-Con is?

xXKujaXx
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
The argument was ongoing because that's what this thread was about. If you want to know when a convention why not google it? It took me 2 seconds to google it and find www.gencon.com

Also, it's considered bad etiquette to post in a thread that's been dead for several weeks, especially if your not actually contributing anything.