PDA

View Full Version : What is Shojoucon like?

Mizuho
05-24-2003, 04:40 PM
I have no idea what Shoujocon is like! It would be a three hour drive for us. Is it worth driving out for? Are there a lot of cosplayers? Do you have to wear a Shojou-themed costume (or else be lynched? :p ) ... Any comments?

Dewy
05-24-2003, 05:09 PM
I'd like to know that too ;;
Either way I'm wearing Sango, though I'll probably melt from summer heat ;.;

Edit: I put "heart" Instead of "heat" ..*snort*

makonurikoryoko
05-24-2003, 07:12 PM
^_^ ypou dont hav eto be shoujo, but its alot of shoujo cosplay and yaoi hehe. Our group did Lodoss War and won the hall contest so no you dont hav eto be shoujo as proven with that ^^;; though i felt alil bad not being shoujo. I feel that its definitly wirth driving 3 hours though its in a different location im sure it wwont take away from its fun. It has alot o fthing sto do but not so much going on that you feel lik eyour missing out, caus ei knowat like otakon i wish there were 3 of me to do evrything! XD Its also pretty small and quaint and they usually have a room with snacks and you can gather and watch anime. I also love the wwhack a thon! I better go thi syear and kill another pinata, its tradition! :D

krystal1314
05-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Shoujocon 2001 was my first con ever, and it's my home con XD
I love it cause it's not too big or too small, the staff are friendly, major goodness of Dealer's Room ^_^ But I dunno now that they relocated to Rye, NY... grrrr... Tho I doubt I can go this year ;_;

Akutenshi
05-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Yeah....I know what you mean, Krystal..twas my first con and now I can't go. I actually emailed them and asked them why they moved....too many people were complaining that it wasn't close enough to NYC. How retarded is that?

The convention is fun...it has this atmosphere like nothing is ever in a rush, like how it can feel at big cons sometimes. Nobody ever seems to be running around and there's always something to go see or do. The dealer's room has been getting bigger and bigger, which is good...

Costumes, like makonurikoryoko said...no need for it to be shoujo, just be prepared for a lot of it, and yaoi (*not a big yaoi fan....erm*).

Dewy
05-24-2003, 10:23 PM
As much yaoi as there is shoujo? eeh...*isn't either*

makonurikoryoko
05-25-2003, 02:05 AM
lol theres a lot of yaoi! :9
<~~::is fan of yaoi::

they have an allnight marathon if it! but no worries if you dont like yaoi theres plenty of other thing sto see and do

Cocoa
05-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Heh, amoung some groups it's earned the nickname of Yaoicon East, but there's plenty of non-yaoi stuff stuff. I for one am kind of happy they moved, because it was a seven hour drive for us....the traffic over the bridges by NYC is awful, and where they are now, we can avoid them. It was my first con last summer, and I had a great time. Definately a fun con ^^

Eriol
05-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Mizuho
I have no idea what Shoujocon is like! It would be a three hour drive for us. Is it worth driving out for? Are there a lot of cosplayers? Do you have to wear a Shojou-themed costume (or else be lynched? :p ) ... Any comments?

Shoujocon is a small-sized con (approximately 1200 attendees) that focuses on shoujo topics.

Information is here
http://www.shoujocon.com/

Now, as to what it feels like to be there, since it isn't a large con, you don't get the feel of crowding, and a lot of people were able to see the Masquerade (other cons usually max out the seating fast, leaving people out in the cold).

Because it's small, you're likely to run into the same people over and over again. Make some friends!

People who go to Shoujocon are definitely devoted to Shoujo. There are significantly more females than males at this con.

Shoujocon has Yaoi topics, but it's not the dominant theme. If you want Yaoi topics, Yaoicon or even Yuricon might be a better choice.

You don't need to cosplay as a character from a Shoujo title. Nobody will lynch you for cosplaying as some non-shoujo character.

Eriol
05-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Akutenshi
Yeah....I know what you mean, Krystal..twas my first con and now I can't go. I actually emailed them and asked them why they moved....too many people were complaining that it wasn't close enough to NYC. How retarded is that?

The people who want it close to NYC seem to be looking for an anime con *IN* NYC.
There is the Big Apple Anime Fest if they want that kind of fix. NYC has an incredible mass transit system, so it is easy to get to a lot of places in NYC.

Moving the con out of NYC avoids traffic problems.

Akutenshi
05-26-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Eriol
The people who want it close to NYC seem to be looking for an anime con *IN* NYC.
There is the Big Apple Anime Fest if they want that kind of fix. NYC has an incredible mass transit system, so it is easy to get to a lot of places in NYC.

Moving the con out of NYC avoids traffic problems.

I know, this is part of the reason why I'm so disgruntled with them. they said that a bulk of the complaints were actually coming from the guests. Personally, I thought it was a really good idea having it where it was, it was a lot easier to find. Plus, it was only 30-45 mins from me ;)

Usagi Mylene
06-10-2003, 03:13 AM
AHHHH!!!! A con devoted mainly to Shojou!!!!

Darn it!! I'm leaving for NY on Saturday!!! Why did I not pick Aug. to go. Oh well, there's always next year....

Eriol
06-13-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Akutenshi
I know, this is part of the reason why I'm so disgruntled with them. they said that a bulk of the complaints were actually coming from the guests. Personally, I thought it was a really good idea having it where it was, it was a lot easier to find. Plus, it was only 30-45 mins from me ;)

It won't be convenient for me either. I would have to travel by subway westward to get into Manhattan, go to Penn Station, and take a train to go eastward to Rye, and then take a cab...do I really want to do this on my own?

animeandska
06-15-2003, 12:24 AM
I'm just staying at somebody's place during the con- hopefully- I'm gonna be beaten with a stick when i go there- cosplaying at a shojocon as a shonen character.. oh well- it will be fun either way-

Eriol
06-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by animeandska
I'm gonna be beaten with a stick when i go there- cosplaying at a shojocon as a shonen character.. oh well- it will be fun either way-

No, you won't be beaten to a stick. There were non-Shoujo characters running around in 2002.

9Mika-Chan9
06-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Will I feel left out as a male there? I mean i CAN relate to yaoi very much ::wink-wink:: and i just love all shoujo anime! I just dont want to feel shunned :-( and well also want to know if the boys that do go there like yaoi too or if their girlfriends just dragged them >_<

makonurikoryoko
06-17-2003, 11:47 PM
NO!! Theres actually alot of guys and plenty who are into yaoi and stuff!!
<~~::has seen several guys walking around with armfuls of yaoi doujinshis::
^_^ And they usually have apanel on Men who love shoujo and stuff! So definitly come!!!!!!

9Mika-Chan9
06-18-2003, 12:01 PM
YAY! ^_^ arigato!

Michela
06-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Mika-chan, you *must* go! :::Grasp:::
If you feel left out, I'll have to locate Katie and make her drag *that special man* out for you :::giggle fit:::

I honestly don't think shoujocon targets females as their main audience, it's for fans of anime that would be considered "shoujo" (like :::ahem::: Pretty Sammy, mwaha) Plus, you must meet Aeva, at all costs; she's organizing a HUGE Gravitation group (she wants me to be Touma, but I don't know if I should if I'm going with you and Jen... any opinion on that? I would love to be, but I wouldn't want to abandon you guys! :::Sparkle::: )

One last message: yaoi doujinshi? WHERE? ^^

makonurikoryoko
06-18-2003, 07:56 PM
lol oo theres PLENTY of that at shoujocon!! Just gotta be 18 ^.~

neoangelwink
06-19-2003, 01:13 AM
hehe very true ^_^

Cocoa
06-19-2003, 02:54 PM
Mika, I've got three guys coming with me ^^ You won't be the only male there. I like shoujo fanboys, they tend to be pretty cool people ^^

Michela
06-19-2003, 10:16 PM
They certainly are! (Regarding the male shoujo fans I know ^^) Firstly, they aren't tied down by labels... at the very least, they don't care what a target audience for an anime is, they watch what they like and I find that admirable.

Eriol
07-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 9Mika-Chan9
Will I feel left out as a male there? I mean i CAN relate to yaoi very much ::wink-wink:: and i just love all shoujo anime! I just dont want to feel shunned :-( and well also want to know if the boys that do go there like yaoi too or if their girlfriends just dragged them >_<

Sir, what are you smoking? Can I have some? heh

There are definitely males that go there.

I'm not into Yaoi or Yuri at all. I like some shoujo titles but not all of them. I watch titles that appeal to me, some of which are shounen and some of which are shoujo.

F4shi0nabl3
07-23-2003, 12:40 AM
Hee, I'm a guy and I hope to be able to go. Will probably just wear my Generic Bishounen costume...

I'm doing shounen Ai cosplay with a girl I know at otakon, as wolfwood and her being a 5' tall Vash riding around on my shoulders. lol.

At connecticon, the guy who I stayed with and I ended up being goaded into yaoish moments all the time.... when you are outnumbered by fangirls chanting for it... ^^;;;

SleeplessBeauty
07-23-2003, 01:20 AM
Hey, even if you're not a shoujo character, I'm sure there's plenty of yaoi doujinshi out there starring your chara so... don't worry. You can't go wrong if you go as a guy. ^__^

Chun Li
08-11-2003, 12:01 AM
yeah i mite go as Jounichi from yu gi oh. (battle city arc* so i think i'll be the only yu gi oh person there

neoangelwink
08-12-2003, 02:58 AM
^_^ very one love shojocon. it really nice one ^_^ to got. really get know people ther to. ^_^ there many girl as ther guy. it seem more guys like shojo this days. but dont worry it all be good.