PDA

View Full Version : Yoko Sniper!

sung-ja
10-25-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm planning to cosplay as Yoko Ritona from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and well...I thought the boobs would be the hardest but then I remembered her prop: a long range sniper rifle. I wasn't really sure on how to approach this prop so I was wondering if I could get any suggestions.

Wiki: She wields an extensive range of firearms, including a long range sniper rifle (which she uses most frequently), modeled after the Barrett M82 and hand guns..

Here are some images of her and the sniper rifle:

http://images.itspudding.com/Traces/Yoko/yoko-pre320.jpg
http://www.toyslogic.com/images/Figure_Anime_Figure_2/TL145934918.jpg
http://bignanime.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/yoko.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :3

afallfromgrace
10-25-2007, 09:32 PM
well the best i can come up with is either buy a toy gun or airsoft gun that looks similar.. .i had one in mind but i can't seem to find it now that i need to. other than that i would suggest buying a toy or airsoft pistol and getting a large piece of PVC pipe a scope and some plastic sheets or plexiglass or wood whatever you feel would work best to build the stock. after that some hotglue and some sheet-metal screws should do the trick... get it all assembled and throw on some sparypaint and you got yourself a mock sniper rifle... sorry if thats bad advise i know its not much more then a list of materials but its all i got... hope i helped at least a lil

sung-ja
10-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Oh wow! I never thought about that :3 And no, I'm thankful for your suggestion <3

Are you sure it wouldn't be too heavy? :<

afallfromgrace
10-25-2007, 10:56 PM
oh no.... unless u use a heavy wood or something which shouldnt be necessary. the barrell will be lightweight unless u wanna spend some serious money on a pistol that will be really light too

Space Lion
10-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Be aware that if you intend to bring this rifle to conventions, some places don't allow anything that has ever been able to fire a projectile, meaning all airsoft weapons (though I'm not sure how they feel on stripped and gutted frames). Wouldn't hurt to double-check weapons policies on the cons you plan on attending.

Even if they won't allow it, this is still doable, depending on how bad you want it and if your budget can handle it.

The sniper rifle she uses, IMO, appears to based just as much, or even moreso, on the M4/M16/AR-15 frame (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/M4A1_ACOG.jpg), than the Barrett M82 (http://guns.connect.fi/rs/barrsup1.jpg) named in the wiki quote above. In any event, this is going to take some work on your part.

What I would do is beg, borrow, or stea- I mean, ask someone very nicely for an M4 carbine airsoft rifle (though an M16/AR-15 will do in a pinch), and make a copy of the lower receiver (basically everything from the butt of the rifle to the front of the magazine) through various molding techniques available in tutorials on this site and elsewhere. Of course, you can always just make a replica by taking measurements and eye-balling it. You could also literally lay the rifle flat on a table, and trace around it, then cut out that shape from EPS foam and carve it. Covered in resin, sanded and painted, you could make a super strong, super lightweight duplicate. If the cons you want to attend don't care about airsoft weaponry, then this part could be much much easier, though you'd probably have to buy your very own M4 (which seem to be in abundance on ebay for ~$25).

Varying lengths and widths of PVC piping can make up the scope, barrel, and flash suppressor, though for the barrel, I would probably use a dowel, to eliminate flexing which can sometimes occur with thin-walled PVC pipe. Her rifle appears to use a .50 cal or similar sized magazine, FYI.

Hope this helps...

afallfromgrace
10-26-2007, 08:34 AM
the problem with using an M4 is that everything is too small. An M4 uses a much smaller round than her gun apears to be. the clip would have to be oversized from the M4 and the gun would need some massive modifications... however should u be wanting an M4 and are in the metro detroit area i know of a place to get them... well.. really cheap.

Space Lion
10-26-2007, 07:48 PM
The "problem" isn't with the M4, it's that this sniper rifle doesn't exist in the first place, so regardless of what weapon she uses as a base (if any), major modifications will be required. An M4 carbine has a similar stock and lower receiver, which is a start. The magazine well can be "cut and spliced" rather simply to accept a .50 cal magazine. It's not like it actually has to fire.

sung-ja
10-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Yes, this would merely be a prop, not an operable weapon :x
I had heard on another site somewhat that I could possibly make it with a PVC pipe and like wood and styrofoam. Would this be a good idea? Like the pipe would be the long part and then I could just model the rest?

I feel like it would break apart easily though or be damaged.

Fabián
10-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Look for more reference pictures (i have found very good ones from the Konami figure released a while ago). You will see most parts are cilinders, so PVC pipe would be a good choice in my opinion: Lightweight, cheap, easily available in several diameters, easy to cut, sand, glue, etc. And it is strong enough, i doubt it would break... unless you go whacking people really hard, on purpose, with it. ;) (if you're concerned, look for the pipes intended for pressurized water distribution, as they are a little stronger, with thicker walls. )

You could make cardboard, plastic or MDF boxes for the stock, magazine and magazine holder (sorry, not sure how that part is called, but i mean that box with the 4 rivets/bolt heads on the sides).

For the grip, i would cut a 20mm thick MDF board with the shape of the grip and sand the edges round, and would screw it to the receiver PVC pipe.

The scope could be more PVC pipe. For the conical sections of the scope, there are PVC piping adaptors (to join pipes of diferent diameter), but most of them are eccentric... :( If you can't find concentric adaptors, then you could use funnels cut to size. And the scope holders could be 15mm MDF board.

And for the bipod, thinner MDF pieces, like 5mm or so, with some square rod behind them.

I am planning on doing one this way myself. Maybe. :3

sung-ja
10-29-2007, 07:05 PM
My friend suggested another cheap idea, but I'm not sure if it'll look okay. She suggested that instead of PVC pipe I should just get a dowel and like cover it in Styrofoam and just sand it into a cylinder with the dowel inside for support. Then she told me I could use paper mache around it and then just add the extras, (well..I would spray paint it of course as well) but..

Do you guys think that will look okay?
Also, considering time, I'm a full time student and my con is in December. :/

Fabián
10-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Unless you spend many hours, lots of putty, sandpaper, etc, then I dont think it would look too good. I mean, the styrofoam+papermache is a very good technique, and you could do wonders with it, but to make a convincing cylinder, it would need to be very well done, and that always means time and patience (and sometimes equipment (or both)). I think that technique is better suited for more compound-curved subjects, like pilot helmets, or better yet, organic looking things.

But, anyway, the PVC pipe is already flawless, perfectly cylindrical, so why bother with all the work it would imply to make it by yourself?
PVC pipe is flexible, but not so much in the lenghts and diameters required for the Yoko's rifle, and at least in the receiver, there are other parts that would make it stiffer, like the pistol grip and magazine, etc.
(i've estimated the lenght to be around 180cms, but about half of that is the receiver, which is about 50mm in diameter, enough to not bend easily. The rest is the cannon, of about 35mm in diameter, enough to not bend noticeably on its own weight.)

If you are careful of your prop, it wont break.
But you could even put the dowel inside the PVC pipe, if you're all that much worried about it bending.

The only real pro I see in making your own cylinder is that you could make it the exact diameter you want it to be, while the PVC pipe comes only in certain diameters... but all the work required quickly negates this virtue.

PVC is cheap, easy to get, perfectly round...

(with all that said, now i remember there are styrofoam tubes made to insulate hot water pipes and such, but i think they are not all that cheap, nor easy to find, nor available in many diameters... hmmm 9_9 if you find them, this may be the thing you're looking for... but I still think PVC pipe is the way to go on this! n_nU )

Aries
10-31-2007, 08:09 PM
I actually am looking to make one of these myself, as for the base gun, I have been looking at the Nerf Longshot. You could probably use that frame (seeing as it has a stock and is very large). You could easily just paint it, and reshape it, then use any cheap plastic to cover gaps. The downside being that it doesn't look exactly like Yoko's Sniper.
As for the barrel, everyone else seems to be suggesting the use of PVC. For the sight, you could use PVC also.
To reduce weight, just remove the internals.
Maybe

This would be relatively fast considering that the actual gun frame is pre-made and all you would do is some plastic trimming and barrel addition, but I'm not sure if Nerf guns would be Convention legal either.

The_Chibi
11-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Wow, you guys really know your stuff! I don't know a thing about guns, but I'm planning on cosplaying Yoko as well and have been trying to figure out ways to make her gun for the past week! Thanks so much for all the ideas... ^__^

sung-ja
11-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Oh! The Nerf Longshot isn't too bad though, if I run out of time before the con. (I'm also cosplaying as May from Guilty gear and she's proving time consuming xP)

Hmmmm...I'll go onto the animesouth forums and ask around to see if the Nerf Longshot would be allowed if I like..plugged it up or something. Thank you everyone for the great ideas! :3 I really am sooo thankful!!

Kain666
12-14-2007, 07:28 AM
you could go get an airsoft gun, specifically a sniper rifle that looks like that, and then get some cardboard and gorrilla glue...that's what i'd do