PDA

View Full Version : Costume Repair Station?

Hazel Chaz
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Anyone know if PMX has a Costume Repair Station?

(I'm considering bring our Costume Repair kit and keeping it in our Peanut Butter & Jelly room upstairs, if they don't have one...)

hoshikage
10-25-2007, 11:30 PM
They didn't in previous years I attended; I think it would be fairly safe to assume that there won't be an "official" one this year either, though if there is anyone out there who knows better than I do, please feel free to correct me. :)

Evil Bishounen
10-26-2007, 01:37 AM
I've been to PMX every year, so I can back up Hoshikage - as far as I've seen, PMX has never had a costume repair station. I am on 2007 cosplay staff so I can say that we don't have one this year as of yet, but this may or may not change.

Due to potential liability issues with the hotel, PMX does not permit unofficial room functions/parties. Sorry =/

(Note: Fan gatherings, like cosplay gatherings, are totally fine.)

Hazel Chaz
10-26-2007, 07:54 PM
I've been to PMX every year, so I can back up Hoshikage - as far as I've seen, PMX has never had a costume repair station. I am on 2007 cosplay staff so I can say that we don't have one this year as of yet, but this may or may not change.

The convention's two weeks away -- is it likely to change? If someone's championing such a project, I'd be happy to share information (i.e., an inventory of what's in our kit). I think it would be a great idea for more conventions to pick up the Costume Repair Station room idea and run with it. (I saw they had one in Lancaster three weeks ago, for example.)

Due to potential liability issues with the hotel, PMX does not permit unofficial room functions/parties. Sorry =/

You mean, in the PMX hotel room block? Good to know that, thanks for the heads-up.

Evil Bishounen
10-27-2007, 06:27 PM
The convention's two weeks away -- is it likely to change?
We also like the idea of a Costume Repair Station, but with so little time left before the con we doubt we'll be able to incorporate one this year. However, I'll pass the idea along for potential pursuit next year.

I'm thinking of bringing one of my own sewing machines into the CosFest office, at least, for the CosFest participants if there's an emergency. That's probably the most we'll be able to manage for this year due to time and space constraints, though.

You mean, in the PMX hotel room block? Good to know that, thanks for the heads-up.
No problem, and yeah. Can't operate unofficial events/services out of your own hotel room, nor set them up in or near con space.

ZodiaArtista
10-28-2007, 11:54 PM
A costume repair kit is something every cosplayer should bring with them every time they attend a convention. You cant depend on the con having a station for you because its not the norm. And besides. I dont think another person can fix a costume the same way its creater can because they know the costume the best.

Hazel Chaz
10-29-2007, 12:59 AM
A costume repair kit is something every cosplayer should bring with them every time they attend a convention. You cant depend on the con having a station for you because its not the norm. And besides. I dont think another person can fix a costume the same way its creater can because they know the costume the best.

Oh, certainly a lot of people have their own kit. But some people are commuting to their convention, and don't have a hotel room to stash stuff.

I know nothing about fixing costumes. But I'll have a kit of things that might come in useful stashed up in my room, in case any of my friends need something from it. (Duct tape, safety pins, black markers, hot glue gun...)

At the conventions where I've seen a Costume Repair Station room, it hasn't been a fixing service -- it's been a place with the resources you could use yourself to fix your own costume.