PDA

View Full Version : Conventions in Japan 2008?

Birklaus
10-27-2007, 04:51 AM
Bonjour och goddag! Mina damer och herrar.

Godday and godday! Ladies and gentlemen. (In "european")

I'm a swedish guy of 25 who just joined this site. I have never cosplayed but I'm dreaming of it. I would like to loose my "virginity" at some event in MangaMekka (Japan) where I am going hopefully in May 2008. My question is if someone can give me a internet address with japanese convention dates or maybe even a schedule for 2008 because I can't find any at all.

I only became a member a few hours ago but I have been glued to the screen since. I love this site and this forum. Keep it up guys!

M V H Niklas Björkeroth

Roleplayer
10-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Not sure what is is MAY, most of the bigger Japanese events seem to be in the latter part of the year, starting with Comic Market in august, then the tokyo game show in September then Comic Market 2 and Jump Festa in december

Michi
11-04-2007, 08:35 PM
There's Tokyo Anime Fair in March, but it seems they don't allow cosplay anymore. It's still a large anime event that should be worth checking out, though! I'm planning on attending. Not sure about anything in May, though.

If you're just looking to wear a costume in Japan, a LOT of cosplay events happen all throughout the year. The bigger ones are well known, like Comiket and the like, but there are smaller fan-run costuming events all year round. It's hard to get an exact list, but sites like livedoor/Cure have upcoming event lists like this: http://cure.livedoor.com/event_info/

B34N1
12-02-2007, 10:07 PM
There's Tokyo Anime Fair in March, but it seems they don't allow cosplay anymore. It's still a large anime event that should be worth checking out, though! I'm planning on attending. Not sure about anything in May, though.

If you're just looking to wear a costume in Japan, a LOT of cosplay events happen all throughout the year. The bigger ones are well known, like Comiket and the like, but there are smaller fan-run costuming events all year round. It's hard to get an exact list, but sites like livedoor/Cure have upcoming event lists like this: http://cure.livedoor.com/event_info/

Oh I was planning on going to the Tokyo anime fair at the end of march if my dad can get the time off work. Too bad they don't allow cosplays I really wanted to take pictures, but I guess there will other things in japan I can take pictures of. What about outside the convention, do people cosplay?

Michi
12-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Outside the con? I doubt it. It's more of a industry event, really. Not only that, but Japanese cosplayers only ever cosplay inside cons after changing there. They wouldn't walk about outside in costume.

B34N1
12-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Outside the con? I doubt it. It's more of a industry event, really. Not only that, but Japanese cosplayers only ever cosplay inside cons after changing there. They wouldn't walk about outside in costume.

Oh okay thanks for your reply. I guess i will have to look at that other site you posted for any cosplay events happening around the time I visit japan. I'm a little nervous about going to those though, cause I would only be taking pictures not cosplaying. I would have to find an event that seems to be happening outside like in a public park that way im not imposing much. What do you think? Have you ever attended those low key cosplay meets and do lots of photographers show up aswell as cosplayers.

Michi
12-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Not many events take place in public areas. XD; I think they're almost always inside halls or buildings. The only cosplaying that really happens in public is at places like Harajuku and Akihabara in Tokyo on Sundays. :)

I haven't actually been to any small cosplay events myself yet; I was sick on the day of the one I was interested in and I've been too busy with school otherwise. :( But I've seen pictures and have friends that've gone, and I know there are lots of regular photographers too just enjoying the event. If it's a doujinshi & cosplay event you'll stand out less in normal clothes, too!

B34N1
12-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for answering my questions. I will probaly have some more when it gets closer to the time of my trip to Tokyo, next summer 2008. I cant wait that long though lol. =)

Supremeronin
12-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Every two or three months there is the Cosfesta event in Korakuen amusement park (in Suidobashi)
http://www.cosplayfesta.com/index02.html
It's usually over a weekend, with a competition on sunday and recently they've had more guests too.
The location is pretty cool, with good sites for taking pictures...plus cosplayers get a discount on the rides (if you think your costume is sturdy enough ;) ).