PDA

View Full Version : What did you think about Yaoi-con 2007?

Eurobeat King
10-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Hey everyone,

Please state your thoughts about Yaoi-Con 2007, like if you enjoyed your weekend or not. While expressing your thoughts, please consider the following points of interest:

Did you like the new hotel change for Yaoi-con?

What did you think about the new events like the Bishounen-Cafe?

Did you like the new ticketing-system for events like AMV's, the Cosplay Contest, and Bishounen-Auction?

What did you like most about the convention this year?

What do you think the con should do to improve?

Would you return next year for Yaoi-con 2008?

Yukari Kaiba
10-29-2007, 01:34 AM
i throughly enjoyed my weekend :D it was my second time going and ill definitely be coming back again next year. loved the new venue - there were so many great spots to take photos at (the courtyard being my favorite). getting the lines organized to get tickets for the main events though was all bad, and for sure could be improved on. some highlights of the con for me was having my very first official photoshoot with EBK - definitely learned a lot from it and i can't wait to do more shoots . i also really enjoyed the Auction, as last year i didnt get to see it - definitely glad i didnt miss it this time XD

ThatYaoiBoy
10-29-2007, 02:07 AM
While I still think it isn't a con worth registering for, I enjoyed going to meet friends. A lot of the activities don't attract my attention at all, or just completely disgust me (like the Bishounen Auction, that is a nightmare to watch and I experienced it last year), so I never register. It isn't worth it to me. I had found myself really bored most of the time and chilled out in the hotel room.

I liked the hotel except that con was REALLY centered down in the lobby. Like... that was it, the con was the hotel lobby. Not many places to venture to and not too many photo-op places. Since I mostly just cosplay and not do the events, that was a slight damper for me.

All in all I enjoyed my time with friends there, thought it was a bit cramped, but I don't know if it is worth the hotel room cost to go again.

EniesLobby
10-29-2007, 03:19 AM
Hm, all and all I had a pretty good time. I thought the hotel in 05 was a better choice and like mentioned before I felt a bit cramped in the hotel. Not a lot of choices of where to go and pretty much the lobby was the spot to be.

Didn't really go to any of the events, and kinda glad I didn't want to. Just watching the long lines around the day made me tired. I think in the future they should get rid of making tickets for events. Its enough you have to get in a line for one, but to get in a line to get tickets to get in a line later on takes the fun out of it..

Either way I had fun and if things get changed next year, great! If not, I'll still probably attend because I enjoy hanging out with my friends and fellow cosplayers.

[bento]
10-29-2007, 03:33 AM
I think it was 100% pure homo-erotic WIN.

Also, hiya EBK, I made a new account ^_^

OniCourseMusha
10-29-2007, 04:22 AM
At first, the hotel change gave me doubt about the con. But I really enjoyed participating in the masquerade solo and had a blast! The dance was much more fun than the last 2 Y-con I attended! Overall its a very fun con for me and I'm very satisfied even though I missed out winning Sac-anime tickets and fell for traps.

The only thing that bothered me was getting ticket for certain invents.

EDIT: Man I enjoyed so much of this con that I totally forgot about Dieter wasn't hosting this year! Man I missed that guy!

[bento]
10-29-2007, 05:09 AM
Hiya Oni! I"ll allways see you with that sign in my mind now, yknow?

Mirai Noah
10-29-2007, 10:15 AM
I really enjoyed it this year. I liked the new hotel. I missed the cafe, but I liked the idea of it. The ticketing-system itself worked out fine, but getting the tickets were a little chaotic. The bishounen auction was awesome, and I will definitely but attending next year!

zell_dincht
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
I actually really liked how the con was run this year. Sure, I agree that the ticketed events were a little unorganized, but it could be worse.

I really liked where they had the venue this year because there were so many places to get pictures taken. I do hope we get to come back there next year despite the fact that someone put a trash can on fire. :(

The only thing I was a let down by was the dealer's room. Was it just me, or was there not enough vendors? I didn't find that many things that I wanted. :(

junkeemunky
10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
I really did not like that most of the con was centered in the lobby. It was hard for people to go about their non-con business, and the thing with the line was just ridiculous. Overall, I loved the new hotel, though. It was much easier to procure food, etc. this year, and I thought that was a key point. Also as a cosplayer, I could take a photo, walk two feet, and find a completely new shot. This hotel was so great for varied lighting, background, you name it. Beautiful outside, beautiful in. The staff was also very nice to myself and my friends, and quite helpful.

One big problem I had was volunteering. I know there is some staff changing, etc etc but it was just hectic, and my gf and I ended up really frustrated and confused. We were redirected over and over again, and a lot of times no one person could tell us what we were supposed to do with the new volunteer cards. At a con where I usually spend most of my weekend working, I only volunteered 5 hours this year.

Also, I totally don't think anyone was expecting so many people to want to sell at the swap meet. But props to the staff on swap meet that kept their cool, and brought in more tables for everyone.

junkeemunky
10-29-2007, 11:20 AM
I actually really liked how the con was run this year. Sure, I agree that the ticketed events were a little unorganized, but it could be worse.

I really liked where they had the venue this year because there were so many places to get pictures taken. I do hope we get to come back there next year despite the fact that someone put a trash can on fire. :(

The only thing I was a let down by was the dealer's room. Was it just me, or was there not enough vendors? I didn't find that many things that I wanted. :(

Dude, I am right there with you on that. This is the first con where I spent less than 20 bucks in the dealer's room.

Ellome
10-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I really love the venue - I had a great time at Tales, and I had a great time at YaoiCon. However, staying in the hotel is crazy - I got lost ALL THE TIME. And I pride myself on my navigational prowess! XD

Also, if I had to leave my room without a badge in an emergency, there were volunteers for a few hours Saturday morning who would not let me leave my floor. As a registered hotel guest, that was completely unnecessary. What if I wasn't there for the convention? Were people who were staying there not for YCon treated the same way? Or just because I'm early twenties and look like I belong there (in pajamas, this time??). I had to go find an alternate route and was pretty unhappy and already in a rush because like I had mentioned - emergency.

YaoiCon, however, isn't a con that I ... do anything at, besides hang with friends and cosplay. I don't know if it's worth investing in a hotel (I only came down for Saturday at Tales of Anime and navigated just fine!) again, so if I return next year it may only be for a day. I'm not sure.

Oh! However weird the hotel layout was, they still had preprinted directions to Denny's, which was absolutely above and beyond amazing :D We were thoroughly impressed by this. :)

Mangochutney
10-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Had a lovely time. I've never seen a con that had Artists' Alley spread out over a series of rooms, but as odd as it was I quite liked it. You could tell that the artists got to talk to each other more and there was generally a sense of artistic cameraderie missing from AAs that are just banks of tables.

I loved the new place's varied scenery for photos especially--how many groups used the horseshoe-shaped couch in the lobby? And the round dais in the courtyard? And the hedge garden? Good stuff there.

Liked the ticketing system, much less hassle this time than before. Wish the panel rooms were bigger, though.

andyRak
10-29-2007, 06:13 PM
The weekend was so much fun.

This is my first Yoai-Con so I can't do any comparisons to past years' Y-Con but in general I think the hotel is kinda small which make it a little harder for photographers :geek:

And I think it would be awesome if they have more events during the con (well, more events is ALWAYS welcomed LOL)

DigitalLove
10-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Love

JustifiedWings
10-29-2007, 10:59 PM
This was my first Yaoi Con. While I'm not a fan of yaoi by any means, I found that I enjoyed my time there. I was mainly looking forward to the masquerade and the Phoenix Wright gathering, but overall, I really liked it.

I was a bit disappointed that there was a shortage of good photo opportunities and good places to take pictures. One of the few places was the courtyard, but it was so often taken by other groups, and even people who were present were not very polite, especially about sharing.

I was also irritated with the lack of respect that was shown. There was a specific group of people who were very... rude (it's the nicest way I can put it) and while that bothered me, it's not enough to scare me off. I plan on going to next year's and look forward to it.

lotus seed
10-29-2007, 11:31 PM
This was my first year at Y-con. Was it just me, or were things on a very tight schedule?

I understand that there was a lot of programming they wanted to fit in, and i definitely appreciate that. However, I felt like this weekend was pretty hectic, getting from the swap meet, then a gathering, then to the lines (in order to get into another line later XD ), and then this panel, another panel and GOOD GOD I'M STARVING... another gathering....

I would have been very cool for some of the activities to have had more time - like, I dunno, Bishie Cafe, or the writing challenges and things - or to be spread out a little more? Also, I would have LOVED to have a video programming schedule ahead of time ^_^. As it was, my friends and I very strategically planned out what we'd do all 3 days and it was pretty dang busy.

I had a great time. Learned how to tie some knots. Found some new manga to check out. And a loved that there was a library to hang out in!

Leishu
10-30-2007, 12:46 AM
Well... I had a lot of fun, but it's always very different, looking at things from the perspective of the con bishie. I agree on the matter of the dealers' room, and am surprised that somebody was actually "disgusted" by auction, but I had an absolutely wonderful time, nonetheless.

xxxplizit
10-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Since this is going to be a long post, I'll keep it short and link to my much more in-depth LJ post:

http://xxxplizit.livejournal.com/99531.html

Leishu
10-30-2007, 04:30 AM
Since this is going to be a long post, I'll keep it short and link to my much more in-depth LJ post:

http://xxxplizit.livejournal.com/99531.html

Nice post. It's always nice to hear con opinions.

My observation leads to a thought that you might not be inside the yaoi fandom. Is this correct? (Just making sure).

Eveil
10-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Honestly, Sai...please don't undermine Staff and their registration by being VERY much open with saying you didn't buy a badge and then say you still went into the Auction. It's bad con etiqutte (that I can't spell), and people who do those sneaky things do get caught. I know you're a friend and all, but as a convention staffer myself, it does more harm than good esspecially when you brag about it in public. I don't want to see people get on a black list.
So please don't.
._.

While I still think it isn't a con worth registering for, I enjoyed going to meet friends. A lot of the activities don't attract my attention at all, or just completely disgust me (like the Bishounen Auction, that is a nightmare to watch and I experienced it last year), so I never register. It isn't worth it to me. I had found myself really bored most of the time and chilled out in the hotel room.

I liked the hotel except that con was REALLY centered down in the lobby. Like... that was it, the con was the hotel lobby. Not many places to venture to and not too many photo-op places. Since I mostly just cosplay and not do the events, that was a slight damper for me.

All in all I enjoyed my time with friends there, thought it was a bit cramped, but I don't know if it is worth the hotel room cost to go again.by

Leishu
10-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Uh. Yeah. You do realize that staffmembers read this forum, right?

Ellome
10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Honestly, Sai...please don't undermine Staff and their registration by being VERY much open with saying you didn't buy a badge and then say you still went into the Auction. It's bad con etiqutte (that I can't spell), and people who do those sneaky things do get caught. I know you're a friend and all, but as a convention staffer myself, it does more harm than good esspecially when you brag about it in public. I don't want to see people get on a black list.
So please don't.
._.

by

Just to clear it up, we went to the Bishounen Auction last year ^^ Not this one. But I can see how the wording is ambiguous enough where it's unclear what was meant :3

Eurobeat King
10-30-2007, 01:02 PM
If you don't like the auction (or any other event at Yaoi-con) simply don't attend. The auction isn't for everyone, and yet for most of the people who go it's the highlight of their weekend. The staff does their best to put on a good show, to provide entertainment for the audience who stood in-line to get tickets and then again for the event.

I stopped by for a little bit, watched a few bishies go up, and then left to take pictures of the Vampire Knight cosplay group. :) I've been in the auction the first year (2002) and then watched in the audience for a few years. But of recent, after watching the masquerade, getting food is more a priority for me. :thumbsup:

ThatYaoiBoy
10-30-2007, 01:25 PM
So please don't.
._.

by

Oh no I didn't go to the auction this year at all, I didn't do any of the events this year. I mostly hung out with friends at Denny's, in the room, and sometimes in the main lobby which is all public domain. ^^; Sorry if that made any confusion.

But the thread was asking about opinion, and I simply stated mine while it may sound a little negative. But as I said in my Original Post, I still enjoyed my time, but not enough that I would register.

There are simply not any events I would see myself attending and the only reason I go is for friends. However if there were some events that would catch my attention, I would register.

Andromache
10-30-2007, 03:05 PM
On one side, I did have a much more awesome time at this Y-con than last Y-con. Part of it was the amazing amount of love I got from walking around as Pyramidhead. (Seriously. I want to thank everyone who stopped me for pictures and hugging and stuff. That was awesome. :D )

Unfortunately, ThatYaoiBoy, even with the clarification that you gave, did you not register at all last year either and still go to the events? Even so, I'm not sure I quite appreciate (nor the staff or other congoers) folks chiming in with what the convention was like when you didn't even walk inside a single panel or go inside the official con area, public domain be damned.

Antiquity
10-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey all! So here is our retrospective thoughts on the con.

Hotel: While the staff was exceedingly polite and didn't give us hell about much of anything, the layout of the hotel itself left much to be desired. It was cramped and confusing to navigate as well as lacking in places for good photo-ops. However, we must admit that the convince of having food in the hallway for super cheap was awesome! Making it easier for co-goers to actually get a meal for under and arm and a leg. We simply wish they had been open later for those late night adventurers but you can only ask so much form a hotel.

Y-con community: Most of everyone was pretty nice to us and none of the Koi group (the "us" in this post) have anything bad to say about them. Jokes were taken with good humor and the "bubble space" was not overly invaded (thank the gods). We didn't see much fan service going on but that wasn't such a big deal as much as it was just an odd observation. Perhaps we simply missed all the good moments? Props and bonus points to the ticket-waiting crowd for being so good natured about our wedding at 1pm on Saturday. Everyone seemed to be very sweet about the whole thing and gave our group the space it needed to preform such an event. Another couple of bonus points to all of those who congratulated us after the fact, you were all very sweet about the whole thing.

Staff: We didn't really feel a big staff presence which actually turned out to be a surprisingly nice thing. With most staff at conventions, the power gets shifted into the hands of inexperienced power hungry volunteers who feel it is their job to yell at other con goers for very benign reasons. This con we didn't have that experience at all, what little staff we ran into were polite and willing to work with us making the event more easy going for us all.

Con operations/events: The biggest problem we had with the convention this year was the way the new organization for events was run. There was the feeling that people were getting shafted out of events because there wasn't enough space. Last year those who participated in the Masquerade were given seats for the auction and this year we were told belatedly that this would not be the case. Because of that none of our group and several other groups got to see the auction (certain members of our group were more irked by this than others, leaving room for the idea of not attending next year at all).

It just felt like there wasn't enough control over the organization of these events which seems to be a reoccurring theme with this con.

Beyond that, the events themselves ran fairly smoothly (excluding the technical difficulties with the music for some of the skits in the masquerade).

Overall: The group had a lot fun and two of our y-con virgins said it was the best con they've attended in a long time, which makes our senior y-con attendees very pleased.

Anyway that about wraps up this post. Thanks for a good con guys, we had fun!

Eveil
10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh gosh, make me want to stab my heart out D: lol
Yes, I was confused xD;; wahhh, ok good~

Oh no I didn't go to the auction this year at all, I didn't do any of the events this year. I mostly hung out with friends at Denny's, in the room, and sometimes in the main lobby which is all public domain. ^^; Sorry if that made any confusion.

Eurobeat King
10-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I liked the new hotel location because of the nice areas for outdoor pictures like the courtyard & gazebo-area, the pool area, in front of the hotel, and some areas around the parking lot. I miss the Westin, but there weren't too many places to take pictures around the con, unless you went off-site, and I think it was pretty cold last year. brrrr..

Was it me, or was the swap meet really busy this year? There sure were a lot of people. I hope those who sold stuff made some nice $$. :)

And the game room didn't have ParaPara this year. *sniff*

junkeemunky
10-30-2007, 09:55 PM
I liked the new hotel location because of the nice areas for outdoor pictures like the courtyard & gazebo-area, the pool area, in front of the hotel, and some areas around the parking lot. I miss the Westin, but there weren't too many places to take pictures around the con, unless you went off-site, and I think it was pretty cold last year. brrrr..

Was it me, or was the swap meet really busy this year? There sure were a lot of people. I hope those who sold stuff made some nice $$. :)

I heard the game room had Guitar Hero 3 though. Unfortunately, I was too busy to play many games. :bigcry:

Also, I took part in the swap meet, and it was crazy! I don't remember that many people ever wanting to sell in the swap meet before. But my gf and I still managed to get a table, and it was really fun heckling buyers and giving away goodies. :toothy:

tpod
10-31-2007, 04:05 AM
Con operations/events: The biggest problem we had with the convention this year was the way the new organization for events was run. There was the feeling that people were getting shafted out of events because there wasn't enough space. Last year those who participated in the Masquerade were given seats for the auction and this year we were told belatedly that this would not be the case. Because of that none of our group and several other groups got to see the auction (certain members of our group were more irked by this than others, leaving room for the idea of not attending next year at all).

Well, part of the intention behind the new Main Events Ticketing system was to completely do away with the lines that would build up during the event running prior to each Main Event. This would give each attendee the opportunity to get into at least one main event (and possibly all of them) without having to wait in horrid lines.

Please refer to the Main Events Ticketing process as described on our website:

http://www.yaoicon.com/content/view/221/1/

In previous years, the only reason why Cosplay Contest participants were allowed to simply stay in the Main Events room after Cosplay in order to attend the Auction was because otherwise they'd be forced to go to the back of the line and probably not make it into the Auction at all. It was a courtesy the con extended to attendees who, because of their participation in the contest, couldn't exactly sit-out the Cosplay to wait in line.

(and I'd like to also point out that AMV Contest participants were not given preferential seating for Cosplay when the Cosplay would directly follow the AMV Contest)

As the Main Events Ticketing did away with those lines before each event, the practice of allowing Cosplay Contest participants to remain in the room was no longer deemed necessary.

Evidently, you assumed it would continue to be extended; perhaps you should have contacted our Staff prior to the con (or even at the con) to clarify just how the ticketing system might impact Cosplay competitors.

Tracy
Yaoi-Con Staff

xxxplizit
10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Nice post. It's always nice to hear con opinions.

My observation leads to a thought that you might not be inside the yaoi fandom. Is this correct? (Just making sure).

Somewhat correct. However, I am pretty optimistic towards learning what's out there in the Anime culture, which is another reason why I went.:bigtu:

Overall, I had fun in the con.

Mr. Wendell
10-31-2007, 06:57 PM

Considering the size of the game room the CHUG staff was given, we felt that it would take up too much space to have Para Para Paradise. Also, we were very limited to how many televisions we could have in the room, considering we were nearly abusing the power with the televisions and consoles we had.

Guitar Hero III was there for the weekend, and it was quite the hit for the weekend. We tried to put in games that would be popular or be frequently played, which included Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, DDR Supernova 2, and the new Bleach multi-player fighter game on the PS2.

I am appreciative that the gameroom had an open window, a fan, and comfortable sofas, as well as water nearby to quench the thirst of attendees.

As an attendee, I just had a nice time hanging out with friends, meeting new folks, and just relaxing and gaming. My only regret was not taking advantage of the workout room and the hot tub.

Beramode
10-31-2007, 10:19 PM
and fell for traps.

Not to be a dick, but could you stop referring to me that way? I'm a person, thanks - as is anyone else you may find gender or sexually confusing. :P

Even if you don't know or understand anything about me, my gender, or whatever, 'trap' is actually a pretty offensive way to refer to anyone - it's in the same vein as 'freak' or 'thing.'

Cheers.

Antiquity
11-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Well, part of the intention behind the new Main Events Ticketing system was to completely do away with the lines that would build up during the event running prior to each Main Event. This would give each attendee the opportunity to get into at least one main event (and possibly all of them) without having to wait in horrid lines.

Please refer to the Main Events Ticketing process as described on our website:

http://www.yaoicon.com/content/view/221/1/

In previous years, the only reason why Cosplay Contest participants were allowed to simply stay in the Main Events room after Cosplay in order to attend the Auction was because otherwise they'd be forced to go to the back of the line and probably not make it into the Auction at all. It was a courtesy the con extended to attendees who, because of their participation in the contest, couldn't exactly sit-out the Cosplay to wait in line.

(and I'd like to also point out that AMV Contest participants were not given preferential seating for Cosplay when the Cosplay would directly follow the AMV Contest)

As the Main Events Ticketing did away with those lines before each event, the practice of allowing Cosplay Contest participants to remain in the room was no longer deemed necessary.

Evidently, you assumed it would continue to be extended; perhaps you should have contacted our Staff prior to the con (or even at the con) to clarify just how the ticketing system might impact Cosplay competitors.

Tracy
Yaoi-Con Staff

That would be wonderful and all but we DID talk to staff and the person helping us was not informed of this new policy until it was too late, which naturally caused an even further delay in our own discovery of the news that we would not be extended the same courtesy as last year.

Also, we DID check the site and none of us ran across the news of a new ticketing system. This may be faulted to the fact that we checked at the wrong times but either way, it was not seen and thusly not brought to our attention. It also didn't help that we didn't see a marked time slot for ticketing and we assumed that these blank spaces of time in the schedule were just dead areas of the con to be used for whatever comes to our fancy (rehersal for skits/ cosplay fixing/photoshoots/ eating/ wedding XD). Since the courtyard was sectioned off in its own small corner it never occurred to us that something important may be happening there.

Regardless of your new policy to get rid of lines the real problem lay within the fact that there just doesn't seem to be enough room for the attendees and that three of your biggest events are all being held in the SAME room on the SAME day (back to back). Perhaps if your main events were more spaced out amongst your three days (or two if you don't really want to hold them on Sunday) it might make things flow easier and cause less stress for the need to set up the rooms differently per event.

After all, isn't the reason you created this new policy because people were complaining about not being able to get into events because they were waiting in line for a different event. And the reason they were waiting in line and missing events was because all of the biggest events were being held back to back in the same room on the same day?

Maybe you could hold the AMV on Friday, push the masquerade up earlier in the day on sat (noonish?) and move the Bishie Auction (which is renown for running over its alloted time) to a time slot earlier in the day as well so that a REAL dance can be held. Oh, and by the by, the dance was also its own problem, being very short, only held on one day and not having nearly enough actual dance floor space, but that's another story entirely.

At any rate, however you want to run your con is obviously a decision that your committee has made and decided was the best route based on information we obviously don't have. We're just trying to make a suggestion based on our experience of attending y-con for many years (religiously because y-con is a favorite for us) and our experience with attending other smaller and bigger cons for many years as well.

We have the greatest of faith in you guys to come up with something that will eventually work out for everyone and make your convention far more successful. Please do not take offense to our review, it is simply our opinion based on our own observations without any hard feelings intended.

Thanks for your time!

DragonKeeper
11-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm just going to be blunt here because thinking about it pisses me off. I HATE THE LOCATION OF THIS CON! The older location was A LOT better.

New Location:

1)No other hotels in site. Freaking expensive to stay at, the parking fee's and taxes jumped the room price from 450 to 650!!!! WTF???? The older location had plenty of hotels to choose from that you couldn't just walk down to for a block or so.

2) No food accommodations in site other than a Rite Aid and a 7/11. The older location had PLENTY of places that you could just walk to for food or grocery shopping.

3) Not many places to go....in fact I was bored most of the time honestly. The last location at least had a bigger area to walk around in. I love YaoiCon period no matter where it is, but this new location sucks honestly.

4) This location was also FARTHER away than the last one. And gas is expensive enough.....the con doesn't need to be FARTHER AWAY than it was last time.

Excuse my irritation if it seems like one big rant, but being a college student and all, the rest of you college students should understand on what we can afford and what we can't. I don't even want to think about what I spent just to go to this con.

So my biggest question is why the heck was the con held at this newer location?

Honestly if the con is put at the same location again next year, I refuse to go unless someone else pays for the freaking room and I just pitch in. I refuse to pay for all those fucking fee's again.

Eveil
11-04-2007, 05:27 PM
On the contrary, location distance is actually based on where you are coming from.
For me, coming from around the San Jose area, it's a little closer. Esspecially when I decided to wait going to the bathroom hahahaha

And please stop dropping the f-bomb, I can understand you'e fustrated but your language is very much not appreciated or wanted. :)
Much more eloquently blunt responses can do without them.

Duo Monkey
11-04-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm just going to be blunt here because thinking about it pisses me off. I HATE THE LOCATION OF THIS CON! The older location was A LOT better.

New Location:

1)No other hotels in site. Freaking expensive to stay at, the parking fee's and taxes jumped the room price from 450 to 650!!!! WTF???? The older location had plenty of hotels to choose from that you couldn't just walk down to for a block or so.

2) No food accommodations in site other than a Rite Aid and a 7/11. The older location had PLENTY of places that you could just walk to for food or grocery shopping.

3) Not many places to go....in fact I was bored most of the time honestly. The last location at least had a bigger area to walk around in. I love YaoiCon period no matter where it is, but this new location sucks honestly.

4) This location was also FARTHER away than the last one. And gas is expensive enough.....the con doesn't need to be FARTHER AWAY than it was last time.

Excuse my irritation if it seems like one big rant, but being a college student and all, the rest of you college students should understand on what we can afford and what we can't. I don't even want to think about what I spent just to go to this con.

Honestly if the con is put at the same location again next year, I refuse to go unless someone else pays for the freaking room and I just pitch in. I refuse to pay for all those fucking fee's again.

Our contract with the old hotels was up. And the Clairon kept double booking the halls. One year a wedding was going on and the other some sort of preist thing. We were all like: Um... These were supposed to be our rooms. Was getting a little awkward. And I think hotel staff was getting much crankier with us in the past year or two. Also you have to consider the cost to the con itself. Buying out blocks of hotel rooms isn't cheap. Nor is renting the rooms. Our problem right now is we're having growing pains. We're getting bigger yet we still don't have quite enough income to get a bigger and better place. All we can ask is that you bear with us as we try to do what we can to accomidate everyone. Hopefully we'll get even bigger and will eventually move to a convention center. But we ain't there yet.

Eurobeat King
11-04-2007, 06:46 PM
For food, if you had a car you could've driven to the highway and get off at the next exit, as there was a McDonald's and a sushi-restaurant on El Camino Real. If you didn't have a car, within walking-distance there was the 7-Eleven, and also nearby was a Trader Joe's which they had food you could buy. Friends let me have some of their sushi they bought there and it was delish! ;) The 7-11 was good because it's always open, it's great for those who want to get some snacks or cheap food during the later hours, like after the bishy-auction lets out.

There was also a restaurant nearby called the "Peninsula Grill" and it too was within walking-distance, but somebody said the food there wasn't all that great.

Try rooming with other people to save costs for the hotel room. You can always make a thread here and/or on the Yaoicon website forums, saying you need a place to stay and maybe people will accomodate you.

For parking, if you're not staying at the hotel, or even if you are, you could always try looking for a spot in the residential areas around the hotel. If you're lucky to get a spot, you can park there all weekend for free. I plan to do that next year if Y-con's at the Marriott again.

The distance between the Westin and the new Marriott was only no more than 10 more minutes driving.

Mistress of SA
11-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Since I didn't get to check out the game room, that was really helpful and it made me want to make sure I have time to check it out next year. Thank you!

Considering the size of the game room the CHUG staff was given, we felt that it would take up too much space to have Para Para Paradise. Also, we were very limited to how many televisions we could have in the room, considering we were nearly abusing the power with the televisions and consoles we had.

Guitar Hero III was there for the weekend, and it was quite the hit for the weekend. We tried to put in games that would be popular or be frequently played, which included Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, DDR Supernova 2, and the new Bleach multi-player fighter game on the PS2.

I am appreciative that the gameroom had an open window, a fan, and comfortable sofas, as well as water nearby to quench the thirst of attendees.

As an attendee, I just had a nice time hanging out with friends, meeting new folks, and just relaxing and gaming. My only regret was not taking advantage of the workout room and the hot tub.

Mistress of SA
11-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Good answer.

For food, if you had a car you could've driven to the highway and get off at the next exit, as there was a McDonald's and a sushi-restaurant on El Camino Real. If you didn't have a car, within walking-distance there was the 7-Eleven, and also nearby was a Trader Joe's which they had food you could buy. Friends let me have some of their sushi they bought there and it was delish! ;) The 7-11 was good because it's always open, it's great for those who want to get some snacks or cheap food during the later hours, like after the bishy-auction lets out.

There was also a restaurant nearby called the "Peninsula Grill" and it too was within walking-distance, but somebody said the food there wasn't all that great.

Try rooming with other people to save costs for the hotel room. You can always make a thread here and/or on the Yaoicon website forums, saying you need a place to stay and maybe people will accomodate you.

For parking, if you're not staying at the hotel, or even if you are, you could always try looking for a spot in the residential areas around the hotel. If you're lucky to get a spot, you can park there all weekend for free. I plan to do that next year if Y-con's at the Marriott again.

The distance between the Westin and the new Marriott was only no more than 10 more minutes driving.

LionBoogy
11-08-2007, 02:29 AM
I personally enjoyed this year's Yaoi-con! It was closer to me, much quieter when not next to the airport, easier to find parking, easier to find food, and plenty of things to see and do throughout the con itself. The look and feel of the hotel really sparked my interest so at least to me, it was a blessing for good cosplay photos in the courtyard and pool area.

- Lionel

BART Boy
11-08-2007, 01:17 PM

New Location:

I'll be happy to answer these.

1: Many major hotels (IE: Hilton, Marriott, Embassy, etc.) always raise the prices as certain dates you pick get closer, also add the fact that this is a "Airport" type hotel which of course pilots and air attendants will be staying here as well. Mostly because it's mostly last minute and such and well space is limited.

2: As EBK has stated, if you have a car you can drive around based on the location information I wrote up for the convention (ToA & Y-Con) and you would be able to find them without a doubt. Otherwise you could complain to the city about it XD j/k

3: Well it is a new location, of course your going into unknown territory, sometimes when you get a chance and a location happens to be within driving distance (like coming from the sac area, monterey, santa cruz, etc) check around the area, sometimes you'd be surprised with what you can find. Did you know that there is a small mini-park nearby? Across the street from the 7-11? Heck you can have a photoshoot there if you wanted. ^^

4: You can't really control distances of any convention to be honest. Heck Y-Con could go to San Jose if they wanted to, remember if your like the many who travel to AX and saying this is farther away? I think there's something wrong with this picture. :o

Contract. Simple word all conventions use for their locations. If the contract expires, the convention has a right to either A: Renew their contract with their current location or B: Move to another location. Remember, most conventions don't want to conflict itself with other events that may take place at the same time as a convention itself. Now we wouldn't want another football group trampling us and challenging us now do we? :thumbsup:

This isn't Eyeshield 21 con yet. XD

I hope this'll shed some bit of light into your post. I've enjoyed helping out this convention this year and had a wonderful time. =)

Andromache
11-09-2007, 03:16 AM
Ew. I remember that. Apparently the UCLA cheerleaders were complaining because the female con-goers were "looking at them."

Yes, folks, if a vast amount of people all wearing uniforms all show up unexpectedly, we are going to look at you, and we're going to take advantage of the fact that you are wearing tiny, tiny skirts that show your panties off to the crowd in the football stadium. Er.

For us people out of state, that much more gas money isn't a whole lot of issue. If we fly, we're still ending up flying to the same airport. *shrug*

OniCourseMusha
11-09-2007, 05:44 AM
I do admit that the past 2 con that was held there I had a blast!!!

And forgot to mention, the pie at HEIDI!!!! DAMN IT, BART BOY!! WHY IS IT SOOOOO GOOD!?!?

Shinsengumi
11-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I really had a great time at this years Yaoi con, DAMN IT!!! Bart Boy you freaked me up with that maid's outfit, I had great time spending time with my friends, I will never forget about this con. and I will be there in Yaoi con 2008.

tpod
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
New Location:

There was, I believe, at least a Howard Johnsons within a short driving distance (or a good walking distance) from the Marriott, if price point was an issue.

We even listed it on our web site as an alternative hotel:
http://www.yaoicon.com/hotel.html#ALT

Actually, there was the Peninsula Grill, just down the street and around the corner. Trader Joe's was across the street from the con hotel and carried a wide variety of packaged (and I believe, fresh) foods.

The Marriott had not one but two lovely Courtyards. And if you didn't mind a short drive, downtown San Mateo is a very nice place to eat and shop -- it even has its own mini-Japantown, with some great sushi places.

Actually, it was only about a 5-minute drive further than the Westin/Clarion. Not *that* much further, to be honest.

One of the reasons why the con has not raised the membership rate in 7 years is because we realize that many congoers are college students and are on a fixed budget. It's why we also encourage folks to ride-share and room-share and bring along ready-made foodstuffs, to keep things cheap.

Trust me, there are other venues that can support this con, but they are mostly more expensive; for instance, downtown San Francisco -- where you can expect to pay over $250 per night for any of the hotels that are big enough accommodate the con's meeting space needs.

Quite frankly, the Westin/Clarion, in addition to the not-so-fun logistics of a con split between two hotels (staff radios that had no signal, attendees who have to *run* to get to events between the hotels, etc) had issues with displacing attendees who'd booked rooms in favor of more lucrative clientèle.

You may not have been affected by last year's ORACLE convention, which took place the week after the con, but other attendees were shocked to find themselves suddenly without rooms because the hotels decided to "lose" their reservations in order to accommodate higher-paying ORACLE attendees. Even our Guest of Honor, Asia Watanabe, lost her room and wound up spending Sunday and Monday night all the way in Half Moon Bay, which was the only place with hotel rooms in the area. It was 40 miles away from the Westin/Clarion. Unforgivable in our book.

Many other promises weren't kept and contractual obligations weren't met, so we decided to part ways with them.

In a perfect world, there would be plenty of hotels with the meeting space we need who can offer it and hotel rooms at the rates that we (the con) and our attendees can afford. However, in California, a fact of life is that it just isn't going to happen, not if you want to stay within a reasonable distance of San Francisco.

Sure, we could go down to San Jose or across the Bay to Oakland, but that'd change the whole feel of the con. We already feel we're stretching the limits being as far from SF as it is.

Well, I will tell you that at this point, we will likely be at the Marriott again next year. We're hoping to have some of the events and logistics-related issues ironed out and the hotel should as well (they were just wrapping up a huge renovation of the hotel rooms when we arrived, which is why some rooms were... incomplete.).

I DO recommend that you seek other attendees to room-share with to help defray costs. And ask for an estimated room charge (minus any room service or other extra charges) when you check in - that way you don't wind up holding the bag for unexpected taxes and fees.

Regards,

Tracy
Yaoi-Con Staff

Eurobeat King
11-13-2007, 11:24 PM
tpod: you repeated some of the things I already mentioned. ;) I for one, am glad to hear that Y-con will return next year to the Marriott. Do you know if it'll be held around Halloween weekend again? or the week before/after? (if you're at liberty to announce that info)

tpod
11-14-2007, 07:17 AM
tpod: you repeated some of the things I already mentioned. ;) I for one, am glad to hear that Y-con will return next year to the Marriott. Do you know if it'll be held around Halloween weekend again? or the week before/after? (if you're at liberty to announce that info)

Unfortunately, I can't, only because although a date has been selected, it has not been finalized. Susan and Wendy are meeting with the hotel this Friday and I believe may be settling things then.

Tracy

klayr
11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
I actually liked the new location VERY MUCH. Maybe many people didn't take the time to look beforehand, but I'd never been to that area, and all I had to do was look on the Ycon site and at general area maps to find places to eat/get supplies/etc. And taking a quick walk-through of the hotel itself made it pretty easy to navigate, and find really, really amazing photo ops. The hotel was much easier to photograph in than last year.

Also, I do remember quite a few strange occurrences at the Westin/Clarion. The wedding one year, the religious gatherings, the sudden disappearance of my room TWO YEARS IN A ROW. It happened last year, even after I had called the night beforehand and had staff confirm my room for me. Plus, the staff at the new hotel were extremely friendly, and pretty open-minded about all the costume-clad attendees. I found that pretty cool. I also didn't find myself strangely charged for random things upon checkout - something that happened at both the Westin AND Clarion.

Magical Yuna
11-23-2007, 08:57 PM
What can I say, the entire con disappointed me. If I had to emphasis on any one area.. just name one and I can name something I didn't like. In the end, I just wished I stayed home and studied.

tpod
11-24-2007, 12:37 AM
What can I say, the entire con disappointed me. If I had to emphasis on any one area.. just name one and I can name something I didn't like. In the end, I just wished I stayed home and studied.

I'm sorry the con disappointed you. It seemed to me that you had a good time while volunteering? I do appreciate all the help you provided during the con and hope that you do decide to return as a volunteer, even if the con itself isn't quite your cup of tea?

(or if you'd like to sign up as a Panelist and perhaps contribute something that you feel would be more relevant?)

Tracy
Staff, Yaoi-Con

Karisu-sama
12-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Westin tried to screw me on the hotel bill last year - which is why I always threaten to report them to American Express - that shuts them up real fast. :)

The "Escher Marriot" (Floor 3 becomes Floor 2 in the function area...) has very comfy beds. It was an enjoyable stay, although I had been waylaid by a bitchy back injury, and so spent most of my time at the Cafe Verfurhen, which didn't require me to do too much walking around. I did make it to some events though. :)

Very amusing that it almost appeared to be functioning as "BJD-con" at times. ^^

Mr. Postman
12-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Very amusing that it almost appeared to be functioning as "BJD-con" at times. ^^

That's what some of the SoCal BJD peeps were telling me, which is why I'm toying with the idea of attending next year. It will mainly depend on which weekend they hold the event (and of course, money).

TC