View Full Version : Help on making a Yuna costume
05-26-2003, 05:00 AM
Okay, I've seen so many costumes of Yuna and so i have given in to try to make it. (the one with the long blue pleated skirt and flowers!)
If anyone is willing to post advice or thoughts on it, I would so love it.
Also, this is a hard one for a newbie or do you think it was easy to make?
What was the hardest?
Which kind of fabric works best or was best for you?
Anything else you would like to add?
Also, if anyone has a good site with pictures of Yuna, front and back that would be really great. I can't for the life of me find anyone of my games. Argh!!
05-27-2003, 05:44 AM
I made a Yuna costume for Otakon last year.
The skirt I had was a wrap around one that just tied at the top (after overlapping a little) with pleats (which fro some reason would not stay. For the flowers on the skirt and belt I just got some stencils. I taped off part of them(parts that I didn't want showing up) so the paint wouldn't accidentally get on my fabric. For the skirt, I just used the same section of stencil over and over again and just kept moving it and turning it as I went up the skirt to get it in the right pattern I wanted.
The "shirt" Was just a piece of fabric basically draped over my shoulders and held by the belt w/ a black strappless bra underneath. Just make sure the fabric is wide enough and the bra actually stays up...otherwise things could get embarrassing...trust me. >_<
For the sleeve things, It was just a long rectagular piece of fabric kinda folded in half w/ room to get my arms through. At the top I used purple seam binding as the string and laced it through so it could be tied tightly and not fall off.
FOr the pink part of the sleeves I got some pink rit dye and diluted it with water *well...more water than it said to use) and put it in a spray bottle. I then had my dad hold the fabric for me while I kinda lightly ssprayed down it. If it comes out too light you can always spray more onto it. Like, I sprayed more on the bottom part so it appeared darker liked it faded more towards the top.
For the staff I used a wooden dowel and used metallic paints on it (blue, gold, and a broze color). I drew the shape iof the top part on a paper plate and then gave it to my dad and he sut it out and put a hole in the bottom so I could attach the two. On the bottom I painted a wooden disc gold and put one of those small screws in w/ the loop at the end in the bottom and attached the string w/ the bell.
For the beads in the hair I just used and earing and attached the string and put beads on it (i wore it bakrwards through my cartilage piercing to give it the right look..it as kinda uncomfotable though.
FOr the fabric I just used cootn for the skirt and a thicker material or the top and sleeves..I don't remember what it was though.
Anyways, thats how I made my costume..hope its useful in some way ^_^"
05-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Making a Yuna costume was surprisingly simple. The most time-consuming part was painting the designs onto the obi and skirt, but for me, that kind of thing is usually pretty fun. :D
I found a beautiful, dark-blue wool pleated skirt at the Salvation Army for two dollars that was PERFECT! I washed it, laid it out, and painted the flower patterns on with fabric paint. It came out very nice!
(Sorry the picture is so dark!)
Next, I worked on the obi. I bought some yellow "Duck Cloth" from the fabric store, which is nice and sturdy, and painted the leaf-patterns with some more fabric paint.
(I used blue to outline the leaves, and green to color them in.)
I created the blue/white flower crest by using cut-out pieces of craft-foam. The red "Crest of Yevon" piece was made the same way, except there are details done with paint.
I used fabric glue to glue the little ropes onto the obi. The obi ties shut with the rope in the back. You have to pin the bow onto the obi yourself.
The bow was also made from yellow Duck Cloth. I hemmed the sides, painted the leaf-design on, and shaped it into a bow.
The sleeves are just long pieces of rectangular white, cotton material sewed together (the material feels similar to a pillow case), leaving small spaces for the arm to fit into. I bought some RIT dye and dyed the sleeves by dipping them in (but only to a certain point!) I let the bottom of the sleeves stay in longer to make them darker. The sleeves tie at the top with thin, blue ribbon.
The top part was just a rectangular piece of soft, cotton material draped around the person! This item is easy as pie to make.
Here are some pictures of my little sister modeling this costume. ^_^
If you have any more questions, just ask.
05-27-2003, 01:21 PM
skirt: mine was a blueish purple fabric ^_^ which i thought was a perfect color for mine. i made all the vines and flowers with applique. and i don't know if anybody else ever has noticed but yuna has green lil centers on her pink flowers ^_^.
shirt: well i made the bikiniki out of dark blue spandex ^_^ *because i think it's navy blue not black but that's just me so don't flame me =o* i made it so that it crosses in the front and i made it shaply around my neck rather than just a piece of fabric on my top so it would fall correctly ^_^.
obi: *-* hardest part. well if you really want to know about that pm me ^_^ it's a really long explanation x_x ^_^.
sleeves: well my sleeves were gradient dyed into a pink dye. ^_^ um not much more to it.
staff: the staff was made by a friend of mine. and i painted it and added ribbon on the staff to make the rod part the correct colors ^_^
i added the jewlry *necklace, bracelets, rings, earring* which i made my earring and if you want to know that you can pm aswell ^_^. hope that helped out a lil ^_^