PDA

View Full Version : To be funny or not to be funny....?

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-27-2003, 08:45 PM
WELL, i just went to Animazement this past weekend and i watched my first Maspquerade! Well....i'm a good skit writer, but i can't write humor at all! Well the skits at AZ were

A. Funny
B.Not funny....but they tried to be
C.Walk-ons
D.Girls dancing...
E.This one dramatic skit...i can't remember the chracter, but he was like an animal and he did like a speech.
F. Fighting....everyone seemed to want to fight..it always ends up funny
and
G. Sexual induendos

Well, the skit i planned is sorta romance involving the singing of a non-anime song with anime characters (We're using their Japanese names) and only a few antics that my get laughing.
(Meiling trying to jump in Li's arms, but he moves backward...Meiling trying to hug Li, but he pushes her away...) I created another skit for the same anime (CCS) and i guess it's funny, but i really don't want to do it. It involves fighting, sexual induendos and it's quite funny i guess. I kinda like the other one better, but i don't people to treat us like they did that last group at AZ who were'nt competing. They were all just talking amongst themselves and stuff...the people looked hurt. I want loud applause and all that. WILL a rmantic skit involving Li and Sakura (Tomoyo and Meiling are on stage as well) be as good as a skit that will make people laugh? After being around otakus for a while, i know that most of them like to have fun......

linzie chan
05-27-2003, 09:18 PM
funny skits are always good, you know, keep the audience entertained and such. Sadly I've never even seen a masquerade, AWA doesn't allow them and thats the only con I ever go to. you should get the people in the skits to help out, maybe they have some funny ideas ^_^

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Yes....funny skits always keep the crowd entertained.....but do non-funny skits? Otakus are like a differeny kind of prep (from what i seem) we excite and act crazy over anime and such. And we always want to have fun. I want to please the crowd, but also myself!!! (more then Judges then anyone...)

Koumori
05-27-2003, 10:13 PM
If you don't want to do it, and you're not totally into it, it won't be funny.

Himemiya
05-28-2003, 01:10 AM
the last skit at animazement was a bit too long and complicated for the marjority of the cosplay audience's taste, i believe. I've never seen Star Wars, so i didn't get any of the jokes... But the main reason i didn't pay attention to them was because i couldn't really hear them... few people do pre-recording for AZ cosplay, but even fewer speak loud enough for the whole audience to hear. That girl from Ronin Warriors was PERFECT - loud and clear and everyone could hear!

For skits at animazement, just remember: Short and sweet. Make it small enough to not get boring, and long enough to keep peoples attention. No matter how great a skit is, if it goes on too long, people will get bored.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-28-2003, 12:25 PM
I see what you mean, Himemiya, about not hearinf them. I was like, 3 rows away from the stage, but i coulfn't hear them due to the mumble of everyone else around me...Oh well. Short and sweet. That seems good. I didn't really like anyone that did the pre-recording becasue it was like watching a really bad dub! The people didn't try to move their mouths at the correct time. Some didn't move their mouths at all! So, if i choose to do Prerecording, my group will ahve to learn the lines and make sure their mouths move at the right time.

evaneko
05-28-2003, 03:00 PM
keep it short and preferably funny... if you wanna do a romantic type skit put a kiss at the end and the audience will love you... if not... they probably wont ^^;;

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-28-2003, 03:05 PM
I was thinking about putting a kiss at the end! :-)

Miaka No Baka
05-28-2003, 05:05 PM
I think you should do whatever skit you feel like doing. One thing I wouldn't do is have a ton of inseries jokes cause chances are not everone has seen the series of anime your skit is based on. If you do choose to do something instrummental like dancing or whatnot the shorter stuff like that is the better it goes over with the audience better. And you have to think of it like this : the audience doesn't want to think. So when making a skit make it so they really don't have to think a whole lot while watching your skit. Recording diaologue can be a wonderful tool, but it can be used against you if there's sound problems. it's a 50/50 chance but I'd say it's better than trying to perform off the fly with no mics.

Miaka no Baka

gaugaumrthou
06-04-2003, 03:52 PM
My cosplay group, The Darkmuffins, almost always does a dramatic skit and we are very well recieved.

http://www.geocities.com/kyorycosplay/darkmuffins.html

Check us out. ^^ I was the Zoicite for one of them.

die-sama
06-10-2003, 08:50 AM
if ur gonna do a funny skit. try it on friends and stuff...sometimes its awkward when somethings supposed to be funny. but u get no audience repsonce >_<;;
serious skits are good too....
but thats practice practice practice like crazy mad...

my suggestion, do whats best for the character, if its a humorous one, do a funny skit
if its a serious,,do seirous :X
or if u have a reallyyyy famed serious character, do a funny skit as a parody those are always wonderful ^_^

Freya
06-10-2003, 12:05 PM
My suggestion if you're going to do a funny skit is to make sure that if you record your voices on cds that you record it well enough and clearly enough for people to hear you. Problem was at AX 02 that some skits I thought were "supposed to be funny" but I could hardly understand what was being said because of the poor quality of the cd.

Hikaruchan
06-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Funny skits are usually the best. When I do a skit though, its always a serious short dialogue usually with a little tag line at the end. I know I don't do comedy very well - so its better to do something else then have a skit fall flat due to lack of comedy.

Koumori
06-10-2003, 02:15 PM
My pet peeve when watching cosplay skits is that they are often too long - they end up repeating themselves long after the judges and audience have seen your costume and gotten the idea.

FF8 Squall
06-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Funny skits always get the best reactions from the audience.

I wrote the script to my groups skit at Sakuracon, and we got some good laughs. But I also included some stuff to induce other reactions....like Selphie crying and running offstage (made the audience go "Awwww" and they booed at Seifer)...and Squall and Rinoa professing their love to eachother (got some cheers). ^_^

Kaijugal
06-19-2003, 08:47 PM
:D The first 10 years I was doing this I always chose to be funny. I just love to crack people up and I'm a natural joker. I can't help myself. Back in the day, most people did serious skits, or "singing" skits.........Lately I've noticed a heavy trend toward humourous sketches and ironcially I suddenly have the itching to be dramatic. In conclusion, when I retire from judging and go back to competition I'll will most likely present more serious and dramatic pieces.

Eccoglyph
07-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Darkmuffins - you people are fabulous. My group was afraid to even go near you last Otakon. It was our first skit (and first time at Otakon!) and you looked so professional and serious. :-) Looking forward to your next performance!