PDA

View Full Version : HELP from a non j-rocker......

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Anyone have any sites on Elegant Gothic Lolitas? I MAY make one for AZ next yr. (may not...already have a lot on my plate....) And i was wondering if this is conisdered EGL...i know nothing about J-Rock or J-Pop...never listened to it. (Except when those girl sung it at AZ)

One 1/2 of my dress is white and the other 1/2 is black. The white side has black, bat wings and the black side has white, angel wings.

nyamiko_chan
05-28-2003, 10:23 AM
I have a link for a shop actually ^^;; but i'm @ school rite now so :(

I'll post it ASAP when i get home XD

bai bai!!

Yui
05-28-2003, 01:32 PM
eek...your sig is scaring me.
First of all, don't just do a EGL because it seems fashionable to do. Make sure you really have a passion for it, and a reason. Um, if you promise that you will give j-rock music itself a fair chance, then I will help you out too. (Maybe we can test you or something...?)
Yeah, it doesn't speak well for the rest of us when there's peeps running around thinking they're GL, unknowing anything else. I think it's our responsibilty to help encourage newfound interest and help point people in the right directions.
But - before you start anything, it's very important to remember that lolita and j-rock costumage is a mentality, that is inseparable from the music and an extended audience interaction of the theatrics the bands themselves perform. (And j-pop's a whole other plate, so make sure you're focused on the correct one you're interested in.) If you can take on that responsibilty in your costume, and thus become a promotion for the music, then go for it. It doesn't matter if your costume just randomly looks the part...I mean, you can make your own original costume to look however you want...but don't involve the term EGL unless you've done some research, cuz it otherwise just confuses other people and puts you in an odd spot. Cosplaying like that is going to ensure that a least a few people are going to run up to you and expect in-depth j-rock conversations.
...Or you can just say you're a character from a random Korean RPG, and nobody would know otherwise. ^_-

!*Jessi-Chan*!
05-28-2003, 01:35 PM
You make a lot of sence, Yui!

Kas
05-28-2003, 02:06 PM
I could help ya. I have a few Gothic Lolita Bibles. But I do agree with Yui.. I encourage all to dress EGL or EGA. Before I started making dresses and outfits, I researched thoroughly. I got as many bibles as I could. It is better to add your own creativity to EGL & EGA outfits. That's what make it better. I have some links that I found that might help.

Jrock isn't that bad. I love it. You might want to give it a try. ^.^

http://www.geocities.com/goth_loli1/frames.html

http://www.blue-period.fsnet.co.uk/egl4.html

http://www.neitherland.com/hyperballad/candy/files/gothiclolita/vol4/

Here's alittle article about EGL:
http://www.morbidoutlook.com/fashion/articles/2002_07_gothiclolita.html

I want to scan some of my bibles in but I gotta fix my scanner.. Just pm me if any questions.

lupineloli
05-28-2003, 04:28 PM
:: saltues Yui ::

You rock, Yui. Best explaination I've heard in a long time!

Yui
05-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Whew...I made sense...no way. XD

Yeah, I totally don't mind if people get into j-rock on the visual end of things first...but I hope they *do* get into the music equally. Anything I can do to help reach this goal, I shall provide. ;)

Himemiya
05-29-2003, 03:33 AM
BUT you can be into EGL and not be into ALL j-rock... Frinstance, I like Dir en Grey and MM and all that other good stuff.... but my favorite Jrocker is Kana, and i love her cute screaming style.

Chi
06-08-2003, 07:39 PM
I feel I have to side with Himemiya on this one... EGL is a fashion style most obviously seen/largely started in Harujuku. While the majority of girls who wear this style are J-pop fans, it's not necessary to BE a j-rock/j-pop fan in order to be EGL. The bibles are only one of the many magazine dedicated to this fashion sense. While in the US it may have taken on this instant connection with the j-rock fandom, it is not necessarily that. The major reason that it IS associated with J-rock is because of designers like 'Comme des garcons', h. Naoto, etc, who have, like so many american companies (ex: Nike), promoted their clothes by latching onto bands who they know speak to their intended shopping audience. Mana opening Moi Meme Moitie was more of a smart business choice, and you'll notice, he did not begin dressing EGL until he had Moi Meme Moitie in the works, and therefore was promoting it. He promotes it because it is not necessarily a j-rock trend, but a fashion trend he both likes and sells.

Promoting J-rock is good and well, but I think it's a bit extreme to say you are required to get into a certain music fandom in order to follow a fashion trend. My school has several Japanese exchange students, one of them who associated with EGL's back home, and she'd only briefly heard of MM. Most of her EGL circle were Ayumi fans.

Just random factual stuffs.... ^^;;