PDA

View Full Version : What comes Next? (Toronto Trek related)

Kisa
05-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Basically, whose going? What do you plan to wear? and should you let me yell to try to assemble people for a photoshoot? ^-^ Better yet... are there going to be enough of us that I wont know everyone and have to yell?

I know the K-town crew + Xio are going, Minako, I think you were going... Sarcasm will be there... SMA, I heard whispers of you guys making an appearance.

Anyone else planning on helping prove Anime/costumes are valued at a general sci-fi con?

If you haven't read it... StillVisions did a con-report featuring the K-town people, and it's amusing... http://www.stillvisions.com/events/TT16/TT1.htm

Sarcasm-hime
05-27-2003, 10:23 PM
I dunno what I'm going to wear...most of my anime costumes are kinda skimpy, and I learned two years ago that a skimpy costume is not the thing to wear at Toronto Trek (unless you want annoying wannabe Klingons leering at you and making rude comments)....

I might just wear some nifty stuff from my closet, or possibly Hyakurin.

Minakolabelle
05-27-2003, 10:27 PM
hell yeah I'm going to be there

so far I have Mana, Alamo's musketeer costume and possibally totchi..... Kisa I have to talk to about what I wanna wear on sunday okies?

Kisa
05-27-2003, 10:32 PM
You know where to find me Minako. I'll be online ^-^

I've got Count Cain planned solidly for Friday and someone from Naruto for Sunday, because my housemate wants to do it, and he's kind of our 'cosplay accessory' so now and then we have to do things he wants...
Still one more day to figure out tho, which may or may not be Magna Carta, depending on how up to it I feel...
So, once my income tax comes in, and bills get paid, I may splurge and buy some velvet to make my Ragarok Loki costume too...

Mage
05-28-2003, 01:04 AM
I don't know if I'm going or not, but I'm considering. The possibility of tagging along w/ Stalker Target #1 might possibly be enough of a bribe in and of itself. XP Will fix up Embla for that con...don't think I'll have time enough for another costume. =\

Kia
05-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Anime North was my only *official* con of the year. Any others will be hard to find money for... :: sigh :: anyone want to let me crash in their room? ^_^

Chosuke
05-28-2003, 07:11 AM
I don't know about TT for now..
Because I'm pretty sure for the time its on I'm going to be in Vancouver <and if weren't for stupid Sars! Hong Kong!> If I DO end up going to TT which I don't think I will I probably bring Ryoma..

But I AM planning to go to CN as part of a GGX group <as one of two anjis> official design is a secret though xD And also as Ryoma Echizen.

How is TT anyway? Not bad? good? I can;'t stand star trek msotly..but is there other stuff?

Kisa
05-28-2003, 11:05 AM
It's all purpose science-fiction, just named badly so everyone thinks it's a Trek con.
However, as AN is now known as 'gravi-con' and 'FF-Con' I dub TT as 'buffy-con' because of all the frickin' Buffy/Angel crap going on.
That said, there's a lot of new Anime stuff happening this year, some really nice, inventive cosplay.

Chosuke
05-28-2003, 11:30 AM
I'm not really a fan of buffy oo;
Unless they have a hot spike there or something..

Yep,if I do go my hall costume thingy will be as Ryoma and no one will recognize me aside from you probably xD

another thign:are they rude to anime attendees?

Sarcasm-hime
05-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Not in my experience. TT is a pretty good con; it's been running for over 15 years and is fan-run so they're good to fans in general. The demographic is older than at Anime North; there aren't as many teenagers and there are more 40+ people.

Wish I had time to make something costume-wise for Trek, but I've gotta use all my cosplay energy on our Worldcon costumes. (So little time! Aagh!)

JustinCredible
05-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Was debating on going to either TT or AN because I couldn't afford to go to 3 cons this year... and with CN as tradition it was a battle of AN vs TT. And when James Masters cancelled and Kia gave me the great sales pitch for AN... it was set in stone.

Originally posted by Kisa
I dub TT as 'buffy-con' because of all the frickin' Buffy/Angel crap going on.

Well tell me how the Buffy and Angel crap goes because I love that 'crap'.

Beatrix
05-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Yep,if I do go my hall costume thingy will be as Ryoma and no one will recognize me aside from you probably xD

I'd recognize you if you went as Ryoma. Yay, for PoT fans^_^

Chosuke
05-29-2003, 06:56 AM
Yay!! ^^
Look for the little boy wandering aimlessly through the hallways whispering to his tennis racket and randomly throwing himself out of the way of klingons..oo;

Good those things scare me. I put on my friends white cap to test what I looked like with one on and GAWD I look like a boy..oo;..no wonder I never wear one normally xx;

Kia
05-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Klingons are cool! But then again I'm a trekkie my self. If there would be onewould be one reason for me to go to TT it would be for Klingon Karaoke! Damn, that would be the funniest thing ever!

.... we all live in a yellow bird of prey, a yellow bird of prey, a yellow bird of prey .... :D

Takuma-san
05-29-2003, 06:36 PM
I've been a Trekkie for years, and I'm dying to experience a sci-fi con. I'd love to go to the Klingon Karaoke, chat with fellow fanatics, buy ST merchandizes which I now see less of than anime and manga stuff, and trade insult with Trek cosplayers.

Bloody Cardassians....

Unfortunately, AN has sapped me of my funds for the year. Lacking sufficient motivation for a summer job just to pay for this (if I did get one, I'd save the earnings anyways instead of spending it at a con), and not willing to part with something that might make me money on Ebay, I can't really go. I also have next year's cosplay to worry about, and it'll cost quite a bit. Paying tuition for summer classes doesn't help, either.

stillvisions
06-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the plug Kisa... :)

Oh, and I'll throw in my general push to come out too...

It is an older demographic, so if you feel old whenever you go to AN, check out Toronto Trek. On the flip side, TT can always use some more young blood to liven things up, and that sort of thing is generally appreciated by the con; anime fans tend to inject a good deal of energy into the equation, something that parts of TT could use IMO.

Yeah, skimpy costumes will garner quite the attention there (don't worry, this isn't from personal experience ;) )

heki-chan
06-02-2003, 10:33 PM
heyo^^

yepyep whispers....we're all too ghetto! LOL

but we will try to make it, if only for a day^_^
as for wht to wear....

i dunno. maybe use FFX-yuna <--i fixed it ^0^
bcuz im kinda sad that i forgot it at home at AN2003 :(

and maybe finish GGX's Jam for TT? If not, then.......Ayame if not THAT then.....i dunno...Leifang? O_O;

its all a big maybe right now. but the guys really wanna put together a KingdomHearts group

tho tht wouldnt really make too much sense at a scifi con >_>;;;

blah im rambling. ^_^;;;

in anycase, its a scifi/fantasy con rite?

maybe Final Fantasy has a place in it kkekekeke X_X;

~heki

archangeli
06-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Go as hobbits ;) j/k

Chosuke
06-03-2003, 06:50 AM
Looooooooooooool Heki!
Are you wearing your Jam to CN? That will make THREE Jam's just from SMA!

heki-chan
06-04-2003, 12:10 AM
LOOOOL!!! but how can there be three Jams, when there are only 2 girls in the group? XD

actually, ive been surfing around
and OMFG. theres more Jams then there are yunas or even sailor moons! >_>;;
so i may not end up doing it, or if i do, ill do the alternate form.

but i mite scrap the idea all together, mainly bcuz its uberly overdone then i can concentrate on other projects! ^_^

bwah my bf looks lik cyclops, but blonde >_> *plots*

nyamiko_chan
06-04-2003, 08:19 AM
^-^; i think there more than 2 girls..I know that i'm going as Baiken for CN XD

i might do another outfit too..but for now..it's definitly staying hush hush..*i love secrets*
(if I made this one no one would know me anyways..LOL!!

mikcy
06-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Ah I had to reply to this. One because I'm bored and two because well, I am going, so why the hell not? XD I have no idea if I'm going for all three days. I believe I am... I know I'm going for two. wh00 big difference *twirls fingers* lmao. XD I wanted to dress up all three days, but I have no idea what to do for my third outfit. >.o; Oh well, that's okay. :D

Minakolabelle
06-05-2003, 01:11 AM
>D you'll get ot see one of my totchi costumes before CNA then XD I'm doign taiyo for a earlyt sat costume before I change into my masq one XD

Chosuke
06-05-2003, 07:18 AM
Loooooool Winnie ^^;
I meant you Aubz, and Les! I always thought you guys were altogether now xD

Nyamiko: OOooh! so you ARE cosplaying GGX2! -claims- You're my Baiken! Scoti can find her own xD

That means so far for the GGX/GGX2 peeps then at CN there will be Two Anjis <moi and Scoti> Three Jams <if Winnie makes hers,MAKE IT! You know you want to xD> A sol ,a Ky and a Chipp.
And then You and your friend if she still wants to cosplay GGX ^^

Mage
06-05-2003, 11:52 AM
This is getting off track, isn't it? I thought this thread was about Toronto Trek. =P

I'm not sure if I'll get Kendappa-ou finished for Toronto Trek...the artbook reference pic looks so complicated. *whimper* T_T

As for CN...if I didn't already have plans, I'd probably think about crossplaying Testament...

mikcy
06-07-2003, 12:42 AM
jklgdj what toshiya outfits are you wearing? XD Are you saying you're doing taiyou no ao one or am I just confusing that with something else? XDDD;

heki-chan
06-07-2003, 02:04 AM
naw just my kickarse sister and i, and she isnt doing Jam, i mite get her to be Baiken. bcuz its sexay^0^ LOL

i think if i do Jam, it will only be for Sharon/Nuriko's GGX group thingie *huggles* ^_^ i neeeeeeed to cosplay with u sharon i luuuurvs u^0^ LOOOL

okok mage is rite, back to about Toronto Trek:

HRRRRM...i have a brandnew gooder plan now for TT. but i gotta make it perfect. or ill be letting someone down. so im gonna work hard and find the best materials for it^_^ as for wht it is, ppl will know in 2 weeks' time ^_^

*rolls* i dunno wht else i was gonna say. kinda forgot.

but LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING PPL AT TORONTOTREK^_^
YAY Gord is MC!^0^

Ryukka
06-07-2003, 07:56 AM
For CN I might do Millia, and my friend wants to do Naria and Eriya. Bleeh if I have enough time, Ino from Naruto would be cool~ we might try a Naruto group or something

and as for TT, I probably won't be going. Since I have no way of getting there @_@

Chosuke
06-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Winnie: I would LOVE to see your sister as Baiken xD she'd look soooo pretty -stalk stalk stalk- xD hehe
Theres gonna be another GGX group at CN? o_o;
We could have triplets! xD

Ryukka: Ohhhh we have to get pics of you! Millia is teh pretty

Ryukka
06-07-2003, 10:34 AM
:B its all about her craaazzy hair

mikcy
06-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Wee... it's good to know there are people going to CN Anime. :D I hope I can actually see people from cosplay.com there. x.x; Someone will probably pass by me and I'll stare right at them and still be like "Lalalalalal theres no one here" Ahahha I'm so blind :D

Minakolabelle
06-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by memisama
jklgdj what toshiya outfits are you wearing? XD Are you saying you're doing taiyou no ao one or am I just confusing that with something else? XDDD;

you heard me right I'm doing Taiyo no ai, casue I have most of the stuff for taht and i dun have time to whip out yokan do to teh fact that I'm anal and I don't have time to stare at totchi's chest for hours on end tryign to figure out what is on there.

Originally posted by memisama
Wee... it's good to know there are people going to CN Anime. :D I hope I can actually see people from cosplay.com there. x.x; Someone will probably pass by me and I'll stare right at them and still be like "Lalalalalal theres no one here" Ahahha I'm so blind :D

you actaully think you'll miss me in that costume??? seriously >.>

Sarcasm-hime
06-08-2003, 07:38 AM
My hubby has been bugging me not to work on any new cosplay stuff for Toronto Trek, as I've got to work on our Worldcon costumes, but I really wanted to wear *something*.....until a friend of mine suggested I cosplay Death from the Sandman comic series! Yay! Now I have a no-effort costume! All I need is a hat!

mikcy
06-08-2003, 11:01 AM
you heard me right I'm doing Taiyo no ai, casue I have most of the stuff for taht and i dun have time to whip out yokan do to teh fact that I'm anal and I don't have time to stare at totchi's chest for hours on end tryign to figure out what is on there.

W00t! Not many people did that outfit. I love the leggings.<3 Yokan outfit confuses me. o.O; Since there aren't any pictures of that outfit, it's so.. uh... confusing. X.x;

you actaully think you'll miss me in that costume??? seriously >.>

Ahaha, no way. XD Never miss a toshiya costume. Hellllll no. o.O

elchubbo
06-14-2003, 04:47 PM
I dub TT as 'buffy-con' because of all the frickin' Buffy/Angel crap going on.

Geez, Can't we all just get along! Since the main reason I would go to TT (if I go to TT) this year will be for Buffy mainly Im hurt by the comment!

Kilngon Karoke and Buffy Sing-A-Long would be pretty kickin! TT seems like fun only because Im a person who is into EVERYTHING! Trek, Anime, Buffy/Angel...I'm a closet everything I guess!

Now if Amber Benson was there again this year Id SO be there...But alas since James Marsters cancelled I too am stuck on deciding whether to go!

All depends on cashflow and if someone wants to go with me
=*(

Kia
06-14-2003, 05:35 PM
You pay for me and I'll be your tag-along! ^_^

elchubbo
06-14-2003, 05:46 PM
HAHAHA Yeah I bet you would! Now why is it both you and JustinCredible said the same thing to me!

Oh to be rich!!

Alas I am not!

Kisa
06-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by elchubbo
Geez, Can't we all just get along! Since the main reason I would go to TT (if I go to TT) this year will be for Buffy mainly Im hurt by the comment!

This was exactly WHY the comment was made. For people like you.
I LOVE science fiction. I even enjoy Buffy. But Toronto Trek is about Science Fiction. Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Babylon 5, Highlander, Anime, Aliens, Vampires, Final Fantasy, Star Gate, Klingon Karaoke, Gord as MC, Xena, The Authors of sci-fi and fantasy. If one thing doesn't happy... I'm still a fan, so I'll enjoy the con nonetheless. If three things don't happen, I'll still probably enjoy the con, because I'm a fan of science fiction as a genre, not one actor, or one show.
Toronto Trek is an excellent con. It's the reason I'm a panalist there this year. Because I LIKE it and care enough to volunteer.

Yet there seems to be an incredible amount of Fuss being placed on anything that relates to Buffy. Hence my nicknaming it Buffy-con. Naming it Buffy-Con was my cynical response to people's attitudes,.

And before YOU start taking offense, maybe you should ask what I nicknamed this year's AN.
Or CNA before that.
Or TT before that, Or AN before that... some of those were much more insulting. Like 'crappy con'.

I don't think it's insulting to say "buffy-Con" when there's a whole lot of Buffy happening and thats all anyone ever talks about. That was the entire Point. It may as well be called Buffy con for all the attention people give the *rest* of the con.

*stabs self in the eye*

elchubbo
06-15-2003, 02:43 PM
I wasnt complaining at you calling it buffy con. I was complaining at people saying TT is being taken over by "that BUFFY CRAP". What gives you or anyone else the right to insult something I love and hold dear. And as for TT being about SCI-FI, what would you consider BUFFY! I consider BUFFY sci-fi and I think that it has a right to co-exist at a SCI-FI festival with Star Trek and everything else. SO just because you dont like it we should just have a seperate con for BUFFY! I'll have you know that quite a few people I know go to TT for Buffy! But they also go for other things as well! So I think if TT is cutting out buffy theyd be losing a decent amount of their business!

And as far as TT being "TAKEN OVER" by Buffy. Other than 1 guest, and 1 FRI screening, and one screening room for the weekend, explain to me how TT is being TAKEN OVER by Buffy! There is still way more stuff and guests that are Trek or other SCI-FI related.

Or is it just the fact that too many BUFFY fans are coming and runing your precious TT. Get over it, I think we can all learn to co-exist! I understand you love TT, because you volunteer, but what is wrong with adding a new dimension to an already awesome con. CN added Anime and that made it even better for people like me, while not harming the people who dont like Anime!

If you dont like Buffy, dont go to the events. But I dont see the reason for the constant bashing of Buffy taking over the con like Buffy is the worst thing in the world. Its ridicolous and its stupid, and I refuse to spend any more time defending it. Just know that now Im definetly gonna go to TT, wearing my BUFFY t-shirt every day

and you know what it says right on the front

"BITE ME!"

Minakolabelle
06-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Okies I think this "buffy thing" has been blow way out of preportion.

First off before you freaked on her maybe you SHOULD have asked her why she dubbed it "buffy con." Kisa is a cynical strong headed girl who doesn't take any one's crap, at all. As she said before there's a lot of hype over the buffy stuff there for she is calling it "buffy con" because there WILL be people going just to see that.

Secondly, Kisa gives nick names to every con up here, in fact there's usually a good reason why. AN's known as "ff con" becuase there is dozens of FF costumes there; and CNA is "crappy con" becuase we had such a shitty time there last year.

Third, "crap" is a common phrase for stuff, namely stuff you don't like, but it still means stuff. I don't see a reason why you have to get all bent out of shape over calling buffy crap. I mean it's nto the end of the world. I'm going to TT strickly for the purpose of cosplaying, I couldn't care less if the buffy crap was there or not.

She never said that buffy was going to wreck her "percious TT" as you put it, she was strickly making a comment about the amount of attention that going towards it (which i'm quite sure I've all ready stressed in this reply all ready). I think if any one here need to grow up or drop it it's you.

Kisa had her say, she dubs every con some thing and next year it'll be some thing new. There is no reason for all this bickering over nothing to continue.

Kisa
06-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Wow.
I'm just... awed.

xiola
06-16-2003, 02:04 PM
a) we ("we" being kisa-tachi and i) love AN more than any other con, BUT we still make fun of it. and let no one say we don't love AN. we also love Gackt dearly, and god do we make fun of him sometimes. we make fun of the things we love.

b) i agree with the nickname "buffycon" and it's not the guests or the special events that would make me nickname it buffy-con, but have you READ the list of panels this year? no? well go read it, and then tell me that it shouldn't be named buffycon, because my god it's ridiculous;

i would not be surprised if almost 1/4 of ALL the panels at TT this year were somehow buffy-angel related, and i am not exaggerating.

also, many of the buffy panels that are running have TWO time-slots for the EXACT SAME PANEL, because apparently it is so important that some people might be devastated if they missed that precious 73rd buffy panel they had planned to go to that weekend...

so basically, we think it's all rather SILLY. we don't hate buffy, or buffy fans. well, i don't. kisa tends to have more Hate than i do, but she's just bitter ;P

see, i like buffy. i like it enough to have watched almost every episode except for the first half of season one i keep missing on reruns and the last few i missed when i had an evening job (and i even cared enough to borrow the episodes off a friend until i actually have time to watch them). i probably went to at least 4 buffy panels last year at TT if not more. so i'm hardly a biased non-fan. but i still agree that TT is buffy-con.

ok?

feel the love, people! FEEL THE LOVE! O_O
*throws cookies*

... ok, my squishy shoujo moment is over, must go back to being a bitchy fangirl and get back to work before i get in trouble. -_-;;

Oselle
06-16-2003, 02:23 PM
I'll have you know that quite a few people I know go to TT for Buffy! But they also go for other things as well!

As far as I can tell, that isn't even much of a statement...you've qualified what you're saying, essentially negating your point. Assuming of course (seeing as you seem to be prone to assumptions) that your point is "some people go to TT primarily for Buffy-related programming, and would not go if there was less or no such programming." Do you mean that you also go to TT for things that are not Buffy related? (This would seem to contradict some earlier posts of yours).

And as far as TT being "TAKEN OVER" by Buffy. Other than 1 guest, and 1 FRI screening, and one screening room for the weekend, explain to me how TT is being TAKEN OVER by Buffy! There is still way more stuff and guests that are Trek or other SCI-FI related.

Easy, tiger. Perhaps do some research - as Xiola mentioned, take a look at the working panels list for TT. Yes, there is a wide range of panel topics (I'm a panelist in three completely separate topics!). However, there are a great deal of BuffyPanels - and other Buffy-related things happening at the con. Hence the nickname. Also note, the nickname isn't negative, and perhaps wasn't implied as such...

Or is it just the fact that too many BUFFY fans are coming and runing your precious TT. Get over it, I think we can all learn to co-exist!
(edit)
If you dont like Buffy, dont go to the events. But I dont see the reason for the constant bashing of Buffy taking over the con like Buffy is the worst thing in the world. Its ridicolous and its stupid, and I refuse to spend any more time defending it. Just know that now Im definetly gonna go to TT, wearing my BUFFY t-shirt every day

Good for you! It's great to be proud of your fandom. But as for the "too many BUFFY fans are ruining the precious TT," once again you seem to be making some incredible leaps of logic. Additionally, the merits of Buffy were not being challenged. I suggest you read, and reply, a little more carefully in the future, lest threads become angsty (in the sad way) that this one has.

Cheers, and see you at TT!

elchubbo
06-16-2003, 07:20 PM
1. Like I said I have no problem with people dubbing it BUFFY CON! It was the crap comment I had a problem with, and the constant buffy bashing

2. YES I go to TT for Buffy and other things as well. How does that negate my point about the buffy complaints. I said the MAIN reason I would go to TT is for Buffy not the only, and I would still go even if it wasnt there! I have read the panels list and while there is a DECENT amount of panels for Buffy, its still not that many! I think TT is just satisfying their audience since they wouldnt have that many panels if that many people didnt want to go see them!

3. Calling it Crap and saying things like it is taking over the con, and saying such things in anger or disgust would be (in my mind)..calling into effect the merits of buffy!

4. If I reacted in a way that pissed someone off, sorry I didnt mean it that way. I dont think I overreacted, but I just get sick and tired of people complaining about one thing taking over something else (IE people complaining about Anime taking over CN...). In my opnion, EVen with the panels there isnt even that much Buffy stuff there! Thats my opnion and of course you are entitled to yours!

So lets drop it cause I dont want to argue and of course none of you are going to agree with me anyways!

Either way Im going to TT for buffy, + a whole bunch of other stuff! So I will see you all there I guess!

Kisa
06-16-2003, 11:16 PM
*sigh* wasn't going to bite, but I don't feel primadonnaish enough to go work on costumes after veggies and furuba.

No one said anything about Buffy Taking Over TT.
( As for Anime taking over CN... considering that the Anime Pass is much more expensive then the other passes, and you can't participate in all events if you don't have that pass, I think it's fair that you get what you pay for.) And the Anime section leaves a bit to be desired for what you Pay for at CN. (hence the name 'crappy-con' ^_^ and not in jest.)

It was a cynical comment directed to PEOPLE who get all up in a fuss about it and ignore the fact that it 'isn't' a Buffy-Con.

Since you're a regular on the TT msg board, you know how up in a FUSS people were about Spike not coming. Thread after thread after thread about people Lamenting the Loss of Only guest they were going to go for. And then someone would do it AGAIN. AND AGAIN.
Personally, I'm glad Spike decided not to come, if ONLY because the Hype will die down and people will see that there is LIFE BEYOND Buffy at TT.
That said, I'm also glad they have another Buffy guest. As I *pointed out*, I enjoy buffy. And Xio calmly explained that the FotA-tatchi attended quite a few Buffy panels last year. Probably in majority to anything else. You don't think there's too much Buffy stuff happening, but the rest of us happen to think 24 (without the doubles) panels is quite enough.
B5-7 panels.
anime-10 panels
s.Trek-31
s.Wars-3
'Literature'-20 (this includes things like Tolkien and Diskworld and other)
Gaming/RP'ing-13
Doctor Who/Brit-TV-7
Comics-7(without doubles)
Costumes/cosplay-11

So... maybe you can see how some of us might think it's a bit over-represented. Not that we SAID THAT, but there you go. From a quick look at the TT Working Panel list, it seems that Buffy has the second highest amount of panels. Actually, a little bit of History on the Buffy-Con nicknamel.
It was partially named because of ideas like "Buffy vs. Sailor Moon" when there were a total of 4 anime panels listed/accepted, despite numberous others suggested (which were only later...much later... accepted tentativly) and the *Joke* was that all things HAD to somehow related to Buffy, including Anime Panels.
Hence the Original Suggestion, in Humour, of Buffy-Con.
And then we realized that there was an incredible Presence and it wasn't just our imaginations.

AND yes. Five of us, some present here, some not, got some of those 'other' panels listed/suggested, so it isn't as if we're just sitting back and pouting and looking angsty about how things 'should' be. We've been activly working with the programming team to try to reflect other interests.

Re the Crap comment.

Minako explained it well. But I'll use a Non-Buffy example.
"Damn crap on my floor. *grumblegrumble* Mostly clothes and art-supplies... It sure is a lot of crap I'm going to have to clean up when I get tired of stepping on it, or so the cat doesn't chew on it. Stupid Cat. I hate when he drags my crap around and then i trip on it in the middle of the night...."

Mia-P
06-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Since Kisa's mentioned all of the differnt panels, TT sounds really good! not that I thought it would be horrible or anything, but I didn't think I would be too interested in it. I guess I should of looked into more, oh well. Either way I can't afford to go ;__; I have to mention that l love Dr. Who!! I used to watch that all the time as a kid! XD I would cosplay as one of the side-kick-chicks XD If I went to TT *lol*

Kisa
06-17-2003, 01:44 AM
That's one of the reasons I decided to be a panalist. Volunteering gets you money off registration, and because TT is so expensive, and 3 cons a year plus costumes is *very* expensive, it's the only way I would be able to afford to go at all!
Plus, it's a chance to make up for what was lacking last year.

I may B*tch and complain, but I always take steps to improve what I don't like.
Well, if possible.

That's the Nice thing about TT... anyone can be a panalist. You don't have to be special and it's easy to sign up. Plus, Erica, Sunny and Ruth went to the pub-night and said people were all really nice. So I look forward to it!

It'll be a bit scary, but I figured I handled the Jrock one at AN the other year, I can handle anime. If there's one thing I DO know, besides my degree it's Anime and Manga. lol.
Kind of sad really.

Kisa
06-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Ok, gomenne, I'm NOT kisachan, she's still logged in on my comptuer for some reason, and I'm too lazy to go change it. ^^

For some reason, last year, when they did the survey in the booklet at TT, star wars, harry potter and LOTR were greatly underrepresented from what they expected (as learned at the panelist pub night). They go from what they get...and even they were surprised that Buffy was so huge, with these other sci-fi things being so low. Perhaps it has something to do with the end of the show - I really don't know. But I think it ended within the last year, so now they have finales, future events, and more to talk about.

But that wasn't the point of my post. I'm making a shameless plug! Come to the panel called "dance like nobody's watching" at 5pm on Saturday in some ballroom somewhere (unless they change it). Fun dances! LIke time warp, Men in Tights (who can forget that?), Heath ledger's dance in Knight's Tale, and maybe more.

That's it!

Oh, and kisa...guess who somehow ended up with a tentative panel schedule? I didn't steal it. It just...happened somehow...because everyone was leaving... But knowing my luck, it's posted already....

~eleryth

JustinCredible
06-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Hopefully you can get a runthrough of the 'Shake Your Tail Feather' Dance from Blues Brothers... now thats where its at!

Kisa
06-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Wow.. How the #&$%#$ did I get logged in on YOUR PC?!
That's kind of creepy.

JustinCredible
06-18-2003, 12:24 AM
Wow.. How the #&$%#$ did I get logged in on YOUR PC?!
That's kind of creepy.

Qui?
No clue what you are talking about...
snoogans...

Kisa
06-18-2003, 12:28 AM
Ok, gomenne, I'm NOT kisachan, she's still logged in on my comptuer for some reason, and I'm too lazy to go change it. ^^

~eleryth

is what I was talking about. The post above your other post.

Erilan
06-18-2003, 12:37 AM
That's the Nice thing about TT... anyone can be a panalist. You don't have to be special and it's easy to sign up. Plus, Erica, Sunny and Ruth went to the pub-night and said people were all really nice. So I look forward to it!

Pub-night? TT has a pub night?!? :O

All of a sudden, I might be going. :cheers:

heki-chan
06-18-2003, 01:29 AM
u mean u WERENT planning on it?!?!/
ERIC!!! ;_;
how can we loiter without u?^_^

bring booze ^_^

Erilan
06-18-2003, 08:04 PM
I was thinking about it at first... but pub night seals the deal. :D

So yeah, I'll be there. :bigtu:

Kaijugal
06-20-2003, 09:42 PM
I hope that you all decide to attend, at very least Saturday for the Masquerade!!!. :) Kisa, I hope you bring your Workmanship Best In show Kijin costume. ;)

If any of you make it, please stop by the masquerade desk and say hi. :) (I'll most likely be hanging around there between panels.)

See you there!
Cheers!
~Kai :)

Kisa
06-20-2003, 10:13 PM
And unlike CNA, if you just come Saturday... you can STILL come to the Masq. *cough* lalala...

Kai: But... but.. I have NEW costumes to bring... who wants to be a silly ol Beast God with thunder powers, when I can be THE DESTROYER of Heaven!! XD I just keep upping myself. I'm going to be struck with lightning sooner or later...

And of course... silly destroyers of Heaven don't wear shoes, and Kijin got comfy boots.... hm.... This may involve a change of plans.

Minako: Wig modifications: Going A-Ok!! Waiting for glue to dry before working on the other ear tuff! Probably going to need to buy more hair extentions tho.

Kaijugal
06-24-2003, 11:32 AM

Kai: But... but.. I have NEW costumes to bring... who wants to be a silly ol Beast God with thunder powers, when I can be THE DESTROYER of Heaven!! XD

Hahaha.. Okay, okay... Hahaha.

Ninja Sensei
06-29-2003, 04:17 AM
Wow!

I really hope that all you costumers that are planning on coming to TTrek will enter the masquerade.

Masquerades (all along the east coast at least) have been dropping in numbers of entries in recent years ... except at anime shows. You guys are the next wave of fandom soming through! Showing support for the other local masqs will help your hobby in return.

You are the next generation of master costumers, masquerade directors, stage ninjas, techs, etc... So you should take any opportunity you can to learn more about your craft and support your hobby!:D

For those who are worried about "all Star Trek, no anime" ... the previous post about many of the same people attending/running AN and TT is very true. For instance, Kent Wong who runs the anime rooms at AN also runs the anime room at TT. Much of the masquerade staff work both shows (like Penny Lipman the Green Room Manager). This year's panel line-up is heavier in anime than it has been in the past ... th eeffectiveness of the panels will depend on how well they are supported. Like the other guy said "it will have more of a presence if we give it more of a presence."

And then the others are right as well ... are you only interested in JUST anime?

Whatever the case, and whether you decide to attend or not, I just hope that all of you who do come enter the masquerade. It's your chance to educate a new audience (who happens to be pretty costume appreciative ... it only took us 17 or so years! LOL!)

(And - yes! that means you too Winnie!!! I think your fabric painting work should be shown to as many people as we can get to see it!;) )

Good luck! And Good Sewing!

"Sew like the wind!"

Gord

(PS: Don't be afraid to say hello when you see me at the con either!)

(( BONUS POINTS if you can tell me what movie the quote is from! ))

Chosuke
06-29-2003, 10:03 AM
I would really like to go to TT, but I don't think I'll have most of my costumes for CN done by then.. and definitely not the money ^^;

I want to see your Ashura so bad Kisa,make sure you take many pictures ;-;

Sarcasm-hime
06-30-2003, 08:13 PM
I love TT, but I haven't entered TT's masquerade in the past because I'm usually burned out costume-wise after AN. This year it's because I'm working heavy-duty on my Worldcon costumes....I'll probably hall-costume at Trek, but don't think I'll enter the masq. I didn't compete in my AN costume this year, so theoretically I could compete at TT with a clear conscience, but I have no skit and it just isn't a very stage-impressive costume. -.-;;

Ninja Sensei
06-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Sarcasm-hime
I love TT, but I haven't entered TT's masquerade in the past because I'm usually burned out costume-wise after AN. This year it's because I'm working heavy-duty on my Worldcon costumes....I'll probably hall-costume at Trek, but don't think I'll enter the masq. I didn't compete in my AN costume this year, so theoretically I could compete at TT with a clear conscience, but I have no skit and it just isn't a very stage-impressive costume. -.-;;

I'm sure you could use it to do a very graceful "turn & spin" entry. The costume is quite impressive! :)

All you'd really need is some nice music and a good intro... Your talent will surely carry the rest of the way!:thumbsup:

Sarcasm-hime
07-01-2003, 12:06 AM
o.o Not sure which costume you're thinking of....the leafy one? I was talking about this one (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=41550&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1). If I managed to get the custom-made shoes finished in the next 2 weeks, maybe...

I prefer to only enter a masquerade if I feel I've accomplished something with a costume. With the leafy one, the only accomplishment was the minor feat of sewing leaves onto my own butt (well, onto a thong while I was wearing said thong, but you get the idea). *lol*

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
07-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Sarcasm-hime: Your costumemaking skills are stunning!!! ^^

Ninja Sensei
07-01-2003, 11:49 AM
S-H,

I'm sure that whatever you wear will be fantastic! As Maki says, your skills are stunning. And don't be afraid to just show up and support the hobby! You can have a LOT of fun with that!!! Just ask Barb Schofield... Or Caroline Julian... or Jacqui Ward... or Penny Lipman... or Dawn McKechnie... or Laurie Brown... (you get the idea!) ;)

Gord :D

(Honestly - I would love it if more people in fandom got to see the work that you, and Winnie, and the others do ...)

Ninja Sensei
07-01-2003, 11:53 AM
With the leafy one, the only accomplishment was the minor feat of sewing leaves onto my own butt (well, onto a thong while I was wearing said thong, but you get the idea). *lol*

... And yet, that was the costume that I heard most people talking about before and after the masquerade.

Hmmm ... Odd, don't you think?

Sarcasm-hime
07-01-2003, 01:49 PM
LOL that's not hard to figure out...but after my experiences with obnoxious Klingons at TT two years ago, I don't think I'll be wearing a bikini-type costume there anytime soon. At least the fanboys at AN know how to behave...-.-;; But thanks for the praise guys...I might just enter the masq with Hyakurin (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=41550&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) after all. ^_^

Kaijugal
07-01-2003, 02:35 PM
the only accomplishment was the minor feat of sewing leaves onto my own butt (well, onto a thong

:bigtu: I thought you were starting to costume the way I do, LOL!!

:D (Ow! Ow! Ow! Smile for the camera Ow!)

Ninja Sensei
07-01-2003, 06:49 PM
At least the fanboys at AN know how to behave...-.-;;

:confused: Do we go to the same con? ;)

(Remember that you don't have to wear your masquerade costume all day as a hall costume. That way you save the dramatic impact for the stage!)

But thanks for the praise guys...I might just enter the masq with Hyakurin (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=41550&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) after all. ^_^

Well, whatever you enter with will be great. It's always good to show the flag and support the masquerades! :D

Sarcasm-hime
07-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Whee, TT was fun. I didn't end up doing anything fancy costume-wise or entering the masq, but I still had a blast. (well, possibly BECAUSE I didn't do anything fancy costume-wise...less stress!)
Highlights:

- the Superfriends panel. SOOO funny....
- winning two prizes at the Art Show! yay!
- "I'm really a man, and I'm not supposed to be here.."
- examining nifty costumes and swapping ideas at the Sunday morning panel
- chatting with Kisa & co. ^_^

Things I'd rather forget:
- 5 min. long masq. skits. ARRGGGH!!!
- 4 horrible sci-fi remix songs in a row at the dance...
- people who won't shut up at comic/gaming panels and monopolize the whole conversation....

Minakolabelle
07-14-2003, 03:23 PM
- "I'm really a man, and I'm not supposed to be here.."

I love that skit too it was cute XD
"I LIKE PICARD CAUSE HE'S SHINNY" XD

Things I'd rather forget:
- 5 min. long masq. skits. ARRGGGH!!!

I hated those too -_-;;;; they need to inforce the time limit. I mean 2 min is fine but we we're all getting antsy in the Green room.

The other thing I wasn't impressed with was the Hairy Potter group. I don't care if they had a warning, they still said the spoiler, I know a couple more people that wanna kick their butts for that.

Kisa
07-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Well, I had a blast at TT. Those of you with access to the Toronto Star, check out today's A&E section. It is Highly Amusing. Poor darian....
The Masq. was stressfull. The level of costumes at TT just blows my mind away, year after year. I honestly didn't expect to win ANYTHING... and The Grave Digging Angst Bunnies walked away with two at the Artisan level. Also, found a way into World-Con, which makes me Happy.

I agree the Harry Potter group were just downright mean and inconsiderate. I'd take the long masq. skits over what they did anyday, but yeah. the 5 minute long skits were irritating. At least there weren't too many of them. And the Masq. wasn't stupidly long. The greenroom was also much more comfortable, given there weren't oggles of people to be noisy and have to talk over.
I had a tophat, which made me a happy happy Cain.

A scary Elf-lady ran down Jason Carter from Bab-5 to get a picture for me, and he gave me a hug. Scary elf-ladies are awsome!

Suday's costuming panels w/ Kaijugal and Sarcasm and possible plans for next year!

Dan bought me dinner, which was so nice, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to eat at all! Such a sweetheart.

Minako's Pink Bear with the claws. I wanted one!!

JustinCredible
07-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Minakolabelle
The other thing I wasn't impressed with was the Hairy Potter group. I don't care if they had a warning, they still said the spoiler, I know a couple more people that wanna kick their butts for that.

I think thats pretty tacky. I mean the book's release is pretty recent... poor judgement on their parts.

Does anyone know how I can get my hands on a copy of the masq? Will it be on sale... would someone be willing to make a copy of their own video or is someone going to put some of it online?

Mia-P
07-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Wowy the cosplay at TT was really impressive!
I was so mad when the batteries on my camera died during the masq ;__; Everyone looked amazing!! Wow!!!Congrats to everyone!!
I'm trying to upload pics in my gallary but the new gallery format is being wonkey, even though I deleted stuff ;__; I'll give it a try later on XD

Kaijugal
07-14-2003, 09:56 PM
I wasnt complaining at you calling it buffy con. I was complaining at people saying TT is being taken over by "that BUFFY CRAP". What gives you or anyone else the right to insult something I love and hold dear.

Please excuse me for interjecting a chuckle here but I've been hearing the same complaints for the last 10-12 years! :juggler: Every time there is a mini co, or a shift in focus SOME people freak out. It's the same story over and over again. I've lived thru the Quantum Leap, the Babylon 5, The Beauty and the Beast, Legend Of Kung Fu, DC comics, and Dr Who Mini con riots. No matter what the subject there are always scoffers. <shrugs> It's a shame, but hopefully the people who look forward to something that especially interests them gets to enjoy having thiere interests in the spotlight.

Hmmm dont' know exactly where I was going with this. I guess I'm just hoping that we can be more tolorent towards our fellow fans. :)

Kaijugal
07-14-2003, 10:01 PM

I may B*tch and complain, but I always take steps to improve what I don't like.
Well, if possible.

:bigtu: Kisa, I respect you more and more every day. :) You've just neatly quoted one of the mottos that make a truely great fan.[COLOR=seagreen]
:cheers: As for Toronto Trek: As always I worked like a dog and still had a super fantastic time! I had a blast brainstorming with everyone who showed up to the costuming panels, (but God I'm starting to feel old already). I thank all my fellow panelists who put up with me. <grins sheepishly and laughs>.

Thanks to kisa for dragging her costumes to the Costume Creations Panel! (I want to make sure that you're officially included in that panel next year)

Unfortunately because I was working backstage I pretty much missed the masquerade, so I still have to watch it on tape. (To answer Justin's question , tapes and DVD's available at oonquest@sympatico.ca) I really enjoyed working with the Phil the stagemanager as a ninja tho. It was fun seeing you all just about to go onstage. It was a new perspective and I was excited for everyone. :)

Congrats to Gord on his "retirement" from MCing TT.
Congrats to the winners at the masquerade.

Cheers!
:cheers:

heki-chan
07-15-2003, 11:04 AM
the costumes at TT were so inspiring. WOW *_* all those gowns and WHOO! LOL I <3 Monsters Inc XD LOOOL

many congrats to christine, kisa and xiola and ur masq awards! SO VERYVEYR WELL DESERVED! YAY! ^0^

im mad tho, my digicam died at about 3pm -_-; soooo yeah LOL kinda blows ^_^

But yeah TT was a good^_^ we didnt go to any events...bcuz *coughhack* well u guys know why. So we just hung around in the lower ground level to disturb the con as little as possible^_^;;

aiya....i was such a nervous wreck for the masquerade LOL X_X; i cant believe so many ppl talked us into it LOL the lights were all blinding-like.
so i was squinting...and apparently looked really bitchy on stage.

WHOOPS X_X;

but yeah, REALLY cool eye opener for me^_^
and now the group's a part of two events at worldcon...tht rules *_*

Kisa
07-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Heki: *nodsnod* The In to worldcon definitivly makes up for the burn-out we all got from TT! Glad you guys came tho :) You helped a lot! Plus it's really good to have a young presence and give a little competition to the older folks ;)

Kai: Aw. Yeah. I say things sometimes.... and they sound horrible, but I do try to do what I can. I mean, last year, I was cranky about the lack of good Anime panels. So I was on a lot of them this year. Being a panalist is fun :)

Mia-P
07-15-2003, 04:32 PM
*rips out hair* Why can't I upload photos anymore??? Is anyone else haveing the same problem?

Seiya Yagami
07-15-2003, 06:26 PM
TT was alright. It's no AN, but it was still great!

Dreamkydd: Hahaha... We messed up our choreography... >< but it wasn't that bad I guess..... The fighting was impressive and it got the crowd going.

Heki-Chan: We owned TT, it was too bad I didn't bring my Leon costume >< I didn't get the info, if you did gave me one. Nevertheless, it was so much fun. Give my regards to Dru and Eddeh.

Kisa: Thank you for everything... be happy, don't be a sad panda all the time ^^ That's my job dammit!

Mia-P: You are so hilarious!! LoL!! There was never a dull moment when we got bored and joke around a whole lot...

Minako: As usual, your costumes are awesomely impressive! Thanks for dragging me into the panel at midnight LoL

Xiola: Thank you very much for letting me stay in the room and the ride home. ^^ See you at CTRL-A hopefully...

xiola
07-15-2003, 10:11 PM
i want photos...

now that the con is over i'm just feeling bitchy about everything again... :(

but i'm starting to like TT better than AN, personally. despite the fact that the masquerade intimidated me so much more than AN. the conversations are better, generally. and there aren't any panels i like going to at AN anymore. and the people who run it are nice to me. and i get much more out of talking to the older costumers than i do at Anime North where there's no one to really tell you anything you don't know.

anyway, i'm feeling mopey and it's bed time again. thanks for everyone who went and hung out with me and put up with me and stuff. and thanks to all the nice people i met even though most of them probably aren't on this forum.

(so i'm going to go to bed and try not to waste as much of my time at work tommorow as i did on monday and tuesday, i can't have them thinking i'm doing nothing at all ^^;;)

Kaijugal
07-15-2003, 11:15 PM
:bouncer:

Thanks to all of you who were so open minded and came to TT. I'm glad that many of you seem to have enjoyed the masquerade. (Even Xiola who made me feel bad because she was crying backstage and there was nothing I could do about it.) BTW I can't wait to see how your Eowyn costume turns out!

Kisa, I've been chuckling ever since I got home thinking about you saying "I hate everyone, etc" repeatedly in the one panel. Don't know why.

I'm glad the gang from Squaresoft decided to stay for the masq.

As I said before, it was great seeing you all. I hope you come again. :)

~Dawn :)

Sarcasm-hime
07-15-2003, 11:43 PM
Mia-P, I was having trouble with pics too...it seems they have a size restriction of 120kb per pic. That might be the problem you're having.

Mia-P
07-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Mmm my pics are under 100kb from 50-80. Mmm my limit might be too full, but I deleted a lot of images o_0 Thanks though ^^

Ninja Sensei
07-16-2003, 09:53 AM
To all of you who attended TT,

I'd like to thank you for bring ing your enthusiasm and energy to the con. It was so cool to see you mingling with the other genres of costumers ... and getting on so nicely! Hopefully all that talk of a possible ICG chapter (or even something close) will come through for you. ;)

Heki-Chan - I was so SO glad to see you and your sister there! You guys rawked!!!!! (And I lurv that dress you were wearing during the day ... Arwen was it?) I am also glad you won an award. I was talking to some of the girls on Sunday and they were all grimacing at having to face you at the higher levels in a few years! LOL!!!! You go girl!

SMA Matrix Guys - Too funny!!!!!! It was all I could do to keep from falling down laughing!

Kisa - Congrats lady!!!!! - uh - man? (And I wasn't just after your sister!!;) ) Two awards!!! WOO HOO! I'm sorry I couldn't make dinner on Sunday ... but maybe next time? Or at Worldcon?!?!

To all the others that I can't remember details of (gads! It's Wednesday and I'm still burnt!!! LOL!) - I was so pleased to see you all there and having fun. I hope that, if anything negative did happen, it doesn't turn you off the experience in the future. You were all a plus to the con and I heard nothing but good reports and comments from all the other con-goers about "WOW! Look at all the anime we have here this year!", "Gorgeous costumes ...", "Where'd all these good looking girls come from..." and (not playing favourites) "That guy is really cute! I have no idea what the costume is... but HE'S HOT!!!!" LOL! If you all only knew that people were really enjoying your attending so much!

And Sarcasm-Hime - We didn't get a chance to talk but I did catch a glimpse of you on Sunday. Glad you and your hubby made it!!! I'm looking forward to seeing your work on stage at Worldcon!

All in all, Thanks everyone for showing the (anime) flag for the hobby and having a blast. You made my TT Swan Song one to remember!

(BTW - Justin ... Come up and say hello next time!!!!!!)

Ninja Sensei
07-16-2003, 09:56 AM
... Oh yes!

And for those of you who felt the masquerade was intimidating at TT, that's sort of the same reaction we see from people competing the other way too. Odd, isn't it?

Don't forget to chat with the MC and staff and they might be able to put you at ease.

And ... JUST WAIT TIL WORLDCON!!!!!!!!! Bwahahahahahaha! (Sorry. Was that in my "out loud voice"? ;) )

JustinCredible
07-16-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Sensei
(BTW - Justin ... Come up and say hello next time!!!!!!)

I was unable to attend TT, as I was working for an vacationing friend. Thats why I wanted to get a copy of the masq, so I could at least see all the fun I missed (and hopefully will see next year). I plan to cosplay and (hopefully) do a skit for CN... so I will see you there!

Sarcasm-hime
07-16-2003, 05:13 PM
LOL Gord....I guess you didn't recognize me under the goth makeup, but during the dance I pulled you aside for a second and promised you that we wouldn't use you as a prop at Torcon. *lol*

<looks at calendar> AAAAAGH only SIX WEEKS!!!!!!!! Damn, gotta start sewing at light-speed.....

Ninja Sensei
07-17-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by JustinCredible
I was unable to attend TT, as I was working for an vacationing friend. Thats why I wanted to get a copy of the masq, so I could at least see all the fun I missed (and hopefully will see next year). I plan to cosplay and (hopefully) do a skit for CN... so I will see you there!

:o

That was you? Wow ... No, I didn't recognise you!!! LOL!!!

We'll see you in 6(-) weeks then!!!!:D

stillvisions
07-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Hi all:

Saw some of you, hung out with others, probably ran into the rest of you without even knowing it. Photos are being put together, as is the event report (which I'm sure will be a source of some amusement/consternation, your mileage may vary).

Had a great weekend, much to write about, many good people were met. Should be seeing you all next year; let's keep plugging TT for the cosplay/anime crew!

Kaijugal
07-23-2003, 10:32 PM
LOL Gord....I guess you didn't recognize me under the goth makeup, but during the dance I pulled you aside for a second and promised you that we wouldn't use you as a prop at Torcon. *lol*

<looks at calendar> AAAAAGH only SIX WEEKS!!!!!!!! Damn, gotta start sewing at light-speed.....

<runs around and panics!!!> Eek! Eek!!
I hope to see ya at Worldcon guys.

~Dawn