PDA

View Full Version : COSFEST 2007 Note of Thanks + Award Recipients

Anele
11-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Wow... just wow...

Despite the one month of pre-convention planning, and some hurdles both pre-con and at-con, PMX's CosFest 2007 went really, really well. I couldn't have done it without my awesome staff members, the cosplayers who participated in the show, American Cosplay Paradise for the halftime show, the press, the photographers, and the PACKED audience who came to watch! I am deeply, deeply thankful for all. ;_;

COSFEST 2007 AWARD RECIPIENTS

Best of Show - Mokona is God Cosplay + 1
(Whitney, Leslie, and Nicole as Adiane, Cytomander, and Viral from Gurren Lagann)

Best Group Craftsmanship - Solitude Together
(Sionna and Mark as Ursula and Scias from Breath of Fire IV)

Group Craftsmanship, Honorable Mention - Rozen Marionettes
(Elizabeth, Lynleigh and Ashley as Barasuishou, Kirakishou, and Shinku from Rozen Maiden)

Best Individual Craftsmanship - Poprocks Anonymous
(Joanie as Lulu from Final Fantasy X)

Individual Craftsmanship, Honorable Mention - Neji
(Derek as Hyuuga Neji from Naruto)

Best Group Presentation - Plague of Lint
(Jason and Tiffany as Irvine and Selphie from Final Fantasy VIII)

Best Individual Presentation - Sini
(Laura as Saber from Fate/Stay Night)

Judges' Award - Aurora Hermione
(Jennifer as Orihime in her Arrancar prisoner outfit from Bleach)

Judges' Award - Maybe I'm a Cloud-o
(Constructed by Dante - Vincent Valentine from Dirge of Cerberus + Cloud Strife from Advent Children)

Thank you very, very much once again to everyone involved in CosFest!!

Sincerely,

Anele
CosFest Manager
Pacific Media Expo 2007

Foxtale
11-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe I'm a Cloud-o (oh dear...lol) also had milk-tan as Kadaj ^^

Oh, and the vids from the masquerade are up on acparadise.com

Anele
11-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Maybe I'm a Cloud-o (oh dear...lol) also had milk-tan as Kadaj ^^

That skit had three great members total ^^ Dante was listed because they had received the judges' award specifically for his great construction on both the Vincent and Cloud outfits used in the entry.

EDIT = ah, and I just found out that you were one of the group members! ^_^ You guys were great!

Oh, and the vids from the masquerade are up on acparadise.com

Yes indeed! Even the MC's introduction ^_^ http://www.acparadise.com/cons.php?cyid=131&t=3

Evil Bishounen
11-13-2007, 09:41 PM
That skit had three great members total ^^ Dante was listed because they had received the judges' award specifically for his great construction on both the Vincent and Cloud outfits used in the entry.
Correct. Technically, Dante was the recipient of the award for his excellent craftsmanship and meticulous attention to detail on both the Vincent and Cloud costumes.

Anele
11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
CASH PRIZE RECIPIENTS

I have emailed the convention chair with the names and addresses of those winners of which a cash prize was tied to their awards. Hopefully you guys will be getting your checks soon!

For those winners that did did not have a cash award tied to their certificate, I would have loved to give you guys convention shirts or something, but unfortunately those were some of the items I was not able to acquire. -_- If I return next year, I'll make sure everyone gets something more than just a [framed] certificate, since planning for the event will more than likely be much, MUCH earlier than just a month *falls over*.

The award recipients with cash prizes are --

Best of Show - Mokona is God Cosplay + 1
$300

Best Group Craftsmanship - Solitude Together
$200

Best Individual Craftsmanship - Poprocks Anonymous
$100

Best Group Presentation - Plague of Lint
$100

Best Individual Presentation - Sini
$100

Judges' Award - Aurora Hermione
$50

Judges' Award - Maybe I'm a Cloud-o
$50

The-Inamorata
11-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I enjoyed the CosFest, but do you mind if I say a few things?

The CosFest this year was definately smaller than last year. The room it was held in looked a bit, er... messy? I liked the room we were in last year (the one the concerts were in this year), the stage and lighting was so much better. I was only a few rows back and it was hard to see what was going on because the stage was so low.

Also, the half time show was definately interesting, but it was hard to hear. The sound quality wasn't too good, and I wasn't even that far back. I know my friends got bored with it far before I did, as well. I think maybe some sort of live performance would have been better?

I don't mean to be negative or anything, these are just some things I observed and my suggestions to make things better next year. ^_^

~Ina-kun

Evil Bishounen
11-14-2007, 12:05 AM
The CosFest this year was definately smaller than last year. The room it was held in looked a bit, er... messy? I liked the room we were in last year (the one the concerts were in this year), the stage and lighting was so much better. I was only a few rows back and it was hard to see what was going on because the stage was so low.

Also, the half time show was definately interesting, but it was hard to hear. The sound quality wasn't too good, and I wasn't even that far back. I know my friends got bored with it far before I did, as well. I think maybe some sort of live performance would have been better?
The core problem was that Anele was asked to run the event only one month before the con, and we were extremely limited in what we could accomplish in that time frame. This inhibited finding a live performer, which was why we went with the ACP halftime show. (We previewed it Friday night, and we definitely recognized the audio quality issues. I believe the guys behind it axed several tracks from the list for being totally unintelligible.)

As far as the room itself goes, I entered CosFest 2006 and I agree with you: the concert room truly was ideal for the event. Consequently, we did initially try to get the concert room like last year, but we were told we could not have it - at all. =/ Combined again with the sheer lack of prep time, this meant we were stuck with house lights and a low stage no matter what, unfortunately.

Our second bid was for the airwall in that ballroom to be lifted so we could have both LP rooms, but that turned out to pose problems in the overall programming schedule so late in the game, and eventually we found ourselves condensed into just LP2. However, on the flip side, the fact that we had the audience overflow because of the small room size means that it'll be easier to get a larger room allocated to CosFest next year.

Believe me, if we return to staff the event for 2008, we've definitely got our list of what needs improvement. ^^; But, I'm glad you enjoyed CosFest nonetheless despite any drawbacks. Thanks for your support! =)

-evilbishounen
CosFest 2007 Assistant Manager / Judge

AuroraHermione
11-14-2007, 02:10 AM
I just wanted to say that I had a great time in the masquerade and I think that all the entries were great!

I also want to point out that I think Anele and all her staff did a great job on cosfest, especially considering that they only had a month to get everything together! Thanks for a great competition everyone!

Anele
11-14-2007, 02:39 AM
I just wanted to say that I had a great time in the masquerade and I think that all the entries were great!

I also want to point out that I think Anele and all her staff did a great job on cosfest, especially considering that they only had a month to get everything together! Thanks for a great competition everyone!

Thank you so, so much, Aurora. That means a lot, to me as well as my staff. ^_^

Foxtale
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
I also want to add a big 'thank you' to all the people who were running the masquerade. I had a really good time. It's just really sad that people missed Vincent's "I'm telling Tifa" line because of the sound issue :(

Squall
11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Congrats to all the winners and also thanks to everyone that participated. Thank you Anele for inviting me onto your staff this year. I had a good time helping out and meeting everyone on your team. Hopefully PMX will give us a bigger masq. room next year =D

toddpw
11-16-2007, 02:36 AM
I'd like to explain some of what was going on behind the scenes at PMX, if I may.

Last year, Marisa's CosFest was in the same room as the concerts and there were scheduling conflicts when the headliner band for Sunday wanted to extend their sound check time. At first it seemed like she was going to retire to avoid dealing with that headache again, but she agreed to do CosFest for PMX 2007. However, real life intervened and on September 6th, barely two months out from con, Marisa notified us that she wouldn't be able to run CosFest in 2007 after all.

While some of us started to brainstorm on alternate Cosplay programming, others on staff began contacting people and eventually we were able to sign on this year's CosFest team.

I'd like to make it clear that PMX management is glad that we were able to have CosFest at all this year. We understand the impossible mission faced by this year's CosFest staff, with only 1 month of prep time and with the limited ability of tech and programming to accomodate change requests so close to con. With proper lead time next year, I am sure that most of these problems could be avoided.

One issue that won't go away however, is the conflict between CosFest and concert sound checks. As long as we have a concert every day of the convention, this is going to be an issue, and our best options will be to either hold CosFest after the last concert (meaning an early concert and a late CosFest) or to hold CosFest in a different room. Since we will almost certainly have our run of the hotel next year (we didn't this year), we'll have more options for putting CosFest in a suitable room in 2008.

Jinnie
11-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Well, as the staff member who spoke to Anele and evilbishounen at the very beginning and through the con planning process (in hindsight, it's ironic we all thought a smaller room would be the way to go over opening an airwall, but it was necessary for our strong live programming this year), I can't say enough about how amazing CosFest was this year and how impressed I am with you both. To take the reigns of an already well-respected program and make it your own is an extraordinary accomplishment.

I am so excited to watch this continue to develop next year! (And I will definitely make it a personal mission to get y'all a larger room!)