PDA

View Full Version : Spray Painting Boots/Shoes?

Usagi Mylene
05-29-2003, 01:11 AM
Has anyone tried this? I was watching Crib Crashers and they were spray painting black skates to gold but they were used for a lamp. I started thinking becuase I need purple boots with strings on the front. I have only found white ones.

Let me know if anyone has tried this and what your out come was. I found some boots on ebay for 5 bucks so I'm thinking of just trying but wanted to get some input first.

Thanks!

ZiggyB
05-29-2003, 02:05 AM
I was recently at a costuming panel at BayCon. They said that if you need colored boots for an emergency then go for it. But it'll probably only last that night as it'll start to crack and peel after one day.

Isaldur
05-29-2003, 02:11 AM
It'll probably crack and peel while you're enjoying them lol.

I bet it'll work fine on plastic. Leather is another story, depending on the paint it'll look all ugly and stuff..

If they're cloth go for it :)

Usagi Mylene
05-29-2003, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess I should leave it for the last resort. I need to see if I can get the boot covers to work first...

It won't be leather it's just shiny plastic/pleather. I ran out of fabric for the boot covers and the store won't know if they will get the same color again for not....

melloncollie
05-29-2003, 06:10 AM
i think dylon wwwdylon.co.uk (maybe.com in the us) does a shoe colour thing that from what i gather isnt a dye so you can go lighter and stuff.... (might need afew layers)

MonoyashaJLA
05-29-2003, 11:00 AM
I know shoe polish will work, but I dont think they make a purple color

Sarcasm-hime
05-29-2003, 05:24 PM
There is a spray paint for leather shoes called "Magix" but I don't know how well it would work on PVC/plastic.

Catatonic_Van
05-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Try using fabric paint, use a sponge brush to apply it. The paint is stretchy enough to not crack and it adheres well to leather as well as fabrics of all sorts. It also very brilliant so it looks very anime-esque

ainslye
05-30-2003, 12:28 AM
If you use spray paint, do NOT use glossy. it's won't dry and your shoes will be eternally half-wet tacky. everything your shoes touch will turn that color. I'm told that matte spray works and I'll be testing that theory at otakon 03.

dianannsano
05-30-2003, 01:58 AM
That reminds me... For my Yuzuki boots, I bought black ones, but I want them navy blue. Does the suggestion of buying navy blue shoe polish work on black?

Sailor Naboo
05-30-2003, 03:02 AM
I bought special paint made for shoes on QVC. It doesn't crack and comes in about 25 different colors.

Karisu-sama
05-30-2003, 04:04 AM
I heard fetish paint works on vinyl / PVC, but don't quote me.

Tenshi
05-30-2003, 10:43 AM
There's vinyl spraypaint that is specifically designed to flex. I've never seen it in purple, though :/. You also might want to try painting with acrylics. I used acrylic paint to make my Pretear shoes and they haven't yet cracked (and I've worn this costume an awful lot ^^). Just don't step in anything moist.

PZB
05-30-2003, 12:51 PM
They make shoe spray paint, but it typically will scratch off, especially if you have the bad habit I do have tripping over your own feet sometimes (though it really did fit the costume I had to spray the shoes for.)

Basically, it'll really only work if the boots will absorb whatever you try to use. If not, they're just going to chip and flake all day (leaving a lovely purple trail for people to follow you by. :D)

lialia
05-30-2003, 06:49 PM
i used red fabric paint on top of tan workboots for my tifa and they look just like they cam that way. it sounds like you are trying to make sailor saturns boots. if i were you id get a pair of the white non shiny boots and test out a layer of purple fabric paint on the inside top to see how it looks and grabs. if all goes well with the test apply layers on the same spot to make sure you can get the right degree of color. it should work on matte shoes., shiny ones have a tendency to reject every attempt at coloring them :)

make sure you get regular pabric paint thta comes in lil jars and not the puffy paint. it might take a few jars tto do such a big project but it will be worth it

archangeli
05-30-2003, 08:46 PM
I agree with Catatonic_Van. Try using a fabric paint (not the crap that comes in pointy-tipped bottles). I used DecoArt SoSoft on red vinyl for one of my Paine belts and it worked really well.

Another one to try is Tulip Soft brushable fabric paint. I kinda use them interchangeably as far as my colour needs go.

Psychotic Jei
05-31-2003, 05:49 PM
Spray Paint.....no go on boots. I remember I tried it on my Sol costume. The bottom of my pants ( they white) ended up bright red. x__x;

archangeli
05-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Basically, the end result of your boots will reflect the amount of time you put into them. It's definitely quick and easy to spray your boots but you'll end up regretting it later. Painting them may take more time and yield as smooth a result as spraypaint - but shoe/ fabric paints don't chip!

Consider how long you want these boots to hold up and decide your method of choice from there.

Kitzune
06-02-2003, 01:08 AM
they make leather stain in purple..........

thats what i use just go to a leather care store.:p silly

evilchii
06-02-2003, 09:55 PM
i'm glad i saw this thread before i went and spray painted my shoes.

but now i have a question. do you think fabric /shoe paint will work on shoes that are made from a suede type material? i have these heels that are black but i need them to be white.

Kitzune
06-02-2003, 10:04 PM
no just get a white suede bleach and some mink oil!!! not to hard NEVER paint your shoes it isnt a good idea it ruins leather and wastes money.

archangeli
06-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Painting suede is probably not a good idea.

evilchii
06-03-2003, 10:00 AM
thanks for you help and the advice!

NervesLikeSteel
03-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Sorry for resurrecting this particular thread, but I am currently planning on painting some thigh high pleaser PVC boots from white to yellow but unsure which paint would work best. I have noticed that through this thread that people have mentioned fabric paint because it is stretchy, fetish paint because it supposedly works on PVC/vinyl but I cannot see any resources declaring the use of these on PVC.

Does anyone know if any paints are guaranteed (for at least a day) to work painted on PVC? The costume is really important and I don't want to mess it up. You're imput would be so very appreciated :)

Katsumiyo
03-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Nerves, considering the age of this thread, next time just feel free to make your own. :) As for painting boots, I use Krylon H20 Latex paint. Since it has a latex base rather than acrylic, it will stretch and move with the boots, rather than cracking like normal paint does.

NervesLikeSteel
03-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Nerves, considering the age of this thread, next time just feel free to make your own. :) As for painting boots, I use Krylon H20 Latex paint. Since it has a latex base rather than acrylic, it will stretch and move with the boots, rather than cracking like normal paint does.

I am really sorry :( This thread is what came up during a search and other forums get mad if you make several of the same topics so I resurrected.

Have you used the latex on PVC at all? This is what my problem is, getting it to work on PVC boots that go all the way up the thigh area. Also, was the latex paint expensive?

keirikyoki
07-09-2010, 12:50 PM
ive read about painting leather or pleather boots.

before u paint on the boots you hafta sand it down some. theres like a shiny surface on boots. you can use an acrylic paint and then use an acrylic spray overtop of it.

i have yet to try this but im workin on a cosplay that will most likely involve me dying boots.