PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a group of people to Make a wing Tutorial site

Balmung
05-29-2003, 02:15 PM
I've been looking all over the internet for weeks and I have yet to find even one wing making tutorial! I know that interest is high due to all the threads running here, so I was thinking that we should get some of the awesome wing creators who post here to each put up a tutorial on one origional web site. We could also put together a link section to all the great wing purchasing sites and feather outlet stores listed through all these threads. That was newbies (Like me lol) can have a less troublesome time getting off the ground (sry bout the pun) at cosplay ^_^ Tell me what you think! I hope others are as interested in this idea as I am.
P.S. If there are any wing creation tutorials out there could someone tell me please? Thanks!

Faily
05-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Sounds like a great idea. :)
Although... I dunno how to make wings, but it would be so great if there was a tutorial out there.

Sakon
05-29-2003, 05:51 PM
I'll see if i can put something together this weekend...

Balmung
05-29-2003, 11:13 PM
I'm hoping to get some really good craftswomen..and men (we all know who the real cosplayers are) to put together something on how they made their wings. Keep in mind, I don't want your trade secrets (welll, maby I do) But all I want to put out there is a site where newbies can go to get a really good idea on how to make wings for themselves.

Sarcasm-hime
05-30-2003, 12:31 PM
I haven't made any feather wings before, but I had a lot of compliments on my insect-type wings for my Windy costume (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=22687&papass=&sort=2&thecat=500)....I'd be happy to share how I made them if you like.

Balmung
05-30-2003, 11:24 PM
That would be great! of course there needs to be a little more interest though. I don't know how to make a web page I'm just a visionary. It would be kewl to do all types of wings though!

archangeli
05-31-2003, 05:49 PM
I made a pair of "stereotype" angel wings (think Van Fanel from Escaflowne) a few years back. They had a span of about 3-4 feet and they were really easy to put together.

A good pair of feather wings is dependent on the quality of the feathers that you buy. I made the frame out of 2 coat hangers, some floral wire and packing tape.

Hitori
06-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Ooh, this'd be really cool if you could get it going. I'd like to know how to make retractable wings.

duck
06-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Some links that might be helpful - they're all fairly basic wing making guides and tutorials, but it's a still good start.

extendable wings (gargoyle):

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5629/rulok/wings/default.htm

wire wings(also gargoyle ones, but the concepts are pretty transferable):

http://www.miniclan.org/eden/costumes/wings.html

I pretty much learned from this one(actually, I learned from Cindy at a con...CinsAngel on this board?).

I'm currently making a pair of "Lionfish Faerie" wings using paper and wire instead of the usual fabric or nylons and I will definitely document it as I go along.

Balmung
06-02-2003, 07:32 AM
Arigato Duck! I can't wait to see them!

Rosiel
06-02-2003, 10:56 AM
How about... trying first on your own and coming up with your own way to do things?

Most of us who have made huge sets of wings (Die-chan, Nikki, myself, etc.) came up with our own techniques without any help. ^__^ I mean, where is the fun and challenge of cosplay if all you do is follow instructions someone else came up with?

Experiment, that's what's /fun/!

Balmung
06-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Thaft is very true Rosiel and I do very much enjoy creating new and inventive cosplay props and Costumes (like my guns ^_^ ) but I want to help people get ideas. Wing questions are all over there boards. I just want to put some answers in one place. I will undoubtedly diviate greatly from any tutorial I find, but I like to avoid potentially cataclysmic problems by learing from other's mistakes. (I guess that makes me kinda evaile dosen't it?) I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like both ways of costume creation, (Origional design, and tutorial) and I belive that both methods should be available to everyone.

duck
06-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Well, concept is one thing, execution is another.

I think that making the art of wing making a lot more accessible will actually encourage more people to experiment. I think a number of people may feel intimidated by the idea of making wings, and having an understanding of the simple concepts behind them can be exceedingly helpful.

Besides, I think knowing what to avoid doing is something that is very helpful and it would be nice to help other people avoid the mistakes we've made. If a page can save me ten bucks or so on fabric completely unsuited to wings - I would definitely like to know.=)

(that and I doubt anyone in this community would actually follow instructions to the T. Everyone will put their own special touch and flair to a project.)

Hitori
06-02-2003, 07:34 PM
I agree completely w/ Duck, I'd just like to know what *not* to do. Some of us just don't have enough money to do too much expirimenting... like... mi! I'm on a super tight budget, and I know a lot of other cosplayers are too.
So maybe instead of a tutorial site on how to, you should put up a page called "DON'T MAKE WINGS LIKE THIS!"

linzie chan
06-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Have a wing making tutorial would be great. Iv'e never made and feather wings, but I just finished my wings for suu today, and that was quite an adventure. I think rosiel had a good point. Helping people out is great, especialy people who have no clue where to start. At the same time, there are a lot of lazy peope who post things and expect people to give them a step by step procedure, when they haven't tried anything themselves yet.

Balmung
06-03-2003, 08:12 AM
I Agree. I just don't have the $ to screw it up 3 times before a nice product appears. I would never just follow a step by step...maby more like a wing technique page?
A) Wing frames do's and don'ts
b) Wing coverings fabrics that work well, cheap fabrics that work, stuff that REALLY sux
c)Ideas on how to attach feathers so they look natural and don't fall off.

How about that? No real tuttorial, just helpfull techniques gathered in one place with a bunch of links to great feather sites. Would ppl be more willing to help with that?
(I really do agree that a full tutorial is kinda lame)

evaneko
06-03-2003, 10:26 AM
That's a really good idea!! I have been wanting to make wings- but I just don't have a starting point- I am way too short on cash to invest lots of money into a pair of wings that may turn out looking like crap. I think just tips and hints would be better than a full tutorial- cuz that way there's still some fun in it ^^

linzie chan
06-03-2003, 11:14 AM
This sounds like a plan. I spent 100$ on my wings, including the cost of starting over twice. I wish this said technique page was up when I started ^_^

duck
06-03-2003, 01:54 PM
I tossed something together this morning - it's not very much more than a links page to various tutorials and supplies sites, but it will presumably be spiffied up soon.

I've intended to create a page for all my wing-making bookmarks for a while, and I guess this inspired me to finally do it.=)

http://www.oddhatter.net/wings/

xKaori
06-07-2003, 10:52 PM
I know this has nothing to do with wing making but the wings look really nice.

http://animalx.com/citadel/scwings/angelrest.htm

Faily
06-09-2003, 06:44 AM
Yes, tips, do's & don't's are the best help... then people can get guidance but still do it their own way. :)

Can't wait til that site is finished, Duck. :D