PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on making a Visor...

RainbowSheltie
05-30-2003, 01:11 AM
I really would like some ideas to jump start my brain into thinking what the visor of Kazemon (my avatar) should be made out of. I can do it, really, but.. any ideas? I wanted to make it all myself, but i can't think of where to start. What kinds of things would you do?

-Squeakers

Balmung
05-30-2003, 09:47 AM
question. How do you plan to see? That is my major concern. If you wnt to wear that peice as a headband I would suggest craft foam (Foamies). You can buy them at jo-anns and then you could paint the pan lines on it. *shrugs* sight is a prob...

RainbowSheltie
05-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Heh, you tellin' me.

RainbowSheltie
06-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Is their any way to make the visor a type of material that you can see through (like sunglasses) so i could keep them on all day?

-Squeakers

Balmung
06-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Hrmm, if you made a frame to streach nylon over using some heavy gauge wire you could probably see through it and make it look white at the same time (provided you can find white nylon. It wold also be a good surface to paint the pan lines on. ^_^ that's probably your best bet, and it would look 3-d! how's that sound?

A J
06-03-2003, 12:15 PM
I don't know the character you're talking about... is it your icon? If you go to a plastic store, like Tap Plastics in CA, they sell clear plastic sheeting that is kinda of like heavy duty overheads.

Uh... overheads as in the projection screens stuff they use in school. Or used to use. Do they still use those?? :: feels old ::

Anyways, it comes in different colors and you can also get a sheet of mirror backing to attach so it's one-way see through.. It's how most people make the eyes for spiderman masks.

Like this:
http://www.fleur-de-lys.net/costumes/images/spiderman2.jpg
He can see perfectly fine too. It's just like sunglasses.

Hope that helps!

-AJ

SynVanSiWes
06-09-2003, 12:41 PM
I would suggest you try plexiglass i.e. lucite, using a fairly thin width. It can be shaped after it is heated. You can buy heating strips or heat guns to this effect. To cut it use a cutting bit on a dremmel. I've had two friends use this technique for costuming. The only problem is the cutting and heating tools may cost a bit of $. Definitely go to a plastic store though, such things are not that uncommon, plexi being a fairly ubiquitous material. Good luck.