PDA

View Full Version : Help On Ouran Jacket

Soy Sauce
11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm running into a problem here, I'm making a Ouran host club jacket and I'm having problems connecting the sleeves to the jacket. The ring on the jacket is smaller than the actual part of the sleeve that connects to it. Is there a trick to making it fit or did I just screwed up?

Orihime-chan
11-22-2007, 11:03 PM
*remembers Ouran host club crossplays* Ahhh those were fun times! ^^ Well, I think you messed up >< But if you have a friend do what my friends and I did for Tamaki's jacket xD We put what we had done on him, pulled the sleeved part up and starting sewing while it was one him. And everytime he complianed, we asked the person dressed as Nekozawa to throw a wodden puppet at him xD

Soy Sauce
11-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Both the sleeve and the ring still fit me, it's just that the sleeve has the bigger diameter. I'm having a had time adjusting it to the ring...

Orihime-chan
11-23-2007, 02:04 AM
Ah...*thinks* That is a tough one...*asks Mori* Mori says:

It would be easier to adjust the ring. *if you know how* But then again, it's not too hard adjusting the sleeve. You do have to put a lot of work into it but I suggest that you cut it a bit. >< I had that problem before and I cut the sleeve, leveled it out, and then made sure it was the same as the ring. But just do what you want. I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

stardust462
11-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Oh man, I hate sewing sleeves into a top. The first time I did it was was so lost and screwed it up big time. Good thing my mom knows her stuff.

You don't want to cut the sleeve, especially if you cut it correctly according to a pattern. You have to "ease in" the sleeve. Easing is to bring fabric in to fit a smaller area without causing any puckers or gathers. I don't really know how to explain easing because it's something I was shown how to do from my mom.

If you're using a pattern it probably says to ease in the sleeves, but most patterns assume you know how to do that. I wish I could explain it, but I really don't know how to explain it without showing you. Maybe search some sewing how-to websites or someone else here can help. Good luck!

The Hag
11-23-2007, 09:15 AM
A lot of patterns put extra "ease" in the sleeve because the standard pattern has to accommodate a range of body types. For a fitted jacket like OHH though, too much ease can make the sleeve look too "puffy". You can reduce the amount in the sleeve cap - but you have to take it out of the right place. Here's one site that talks about it: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_sewing_shirts_sleeves/article/0,,hgtv_3334_1377120,00.html

Also try Googling "How to ease a sleeve" or "How to set a sleeve"

@Orihime-chan - I never bother asking Mori anything! ^_~