PDA

View Full Version : Talking about contacts...

Keurblitz
09-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Oh, I was thinking of getting a set of disposable colored contacts to go with my *future* costume. I was thinking of dropping by my local pearle vision. Have anyone went to one of those Pearle Vision places before? I live in NYC if anyone wanted to know. Anyway, I was at chinatown last time and I was asking around. People were telling me $200 for an eye exam and 7 pairs of disposable contacts. I didn't get them cause I don't remember my friends paying so much for their contacts. Oh yeah, let me get to my point. I just want some price ranges from all of you. How much should an eye exam and a few pairs of contacts cost for me?

Nietsche
09-07-2002, 05:51 PM
How queer....
My eye exam didn't cost FRACTION OF THAT PRICE!
Around 50 for my exam and then 20 every 3 months (cos I wear monthly contacts)
My coloured contacts cost me 10 for 2 whole pairs! And since my prescription is the same for each eye I can choose 2 pairs of different colours! Woohoo! Yeah I have to wear prescription coloured contacts!

I have seen many nonprescription coloured contacts available for around 25 a pair...

diqitaldreams
09-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Talk to me about contacts. *_* I can get you them for fuhreee, depending if I "feel" like it. :B Durr... xD

NeoDrifter
09-07-2002, 08:37 PM
I just recently got my soft contacts that last for two months. The total package was 200$ of eye exam and like six pairs of contacts not including the ones they gave me. So you heard right and contacts feel really great in the eyes

Keurblitz
09-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by diqitaldreams
Talk to me about contacts. *_* I can get you them for fuhreee, depending if I "feel" like it. :B Durr... xD

no contacts for you missy! They're bad for your eyes! :P
:thumbsup:
I've been staring at inu yasha a lot. He has those yellowish-orange eyes... must get contacts and look like him....

diqitaldreams
09-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Keurblitz

no contacts for you missy! They're bad for your eyes! :P
:thumbsup:

Listen sweetie, I was refering contacts for you. e___e;; ... But I guess that threw me off my mood. ::grumblegrumble:: :crylaugh:

Koumori
09-07-2002, 10:47 PM
Nietsche, I don't know if eye exams and eyeglasses/contacts fall under government subsidation in the UK, but I wonder if that might be an explanation for the price discrepancy.

Keurblitz - from the way you phrased your message, it sounds as if you haven't worn contacts or glasses before, and you might be looking for nonprescription lenses - is that correct? It's possible they might be less expensive, but you would still want to have an eye exam to make sure that you *can* wear contacts.

My view is that if you're going to be sticking things in the only pair of eyes you've got, it's worth paying to make sure you're doing it right and to protect yourself from any potential damage.

NeoDrifter
09-08-2002, 09:54 AM
I agree, when I got my contacts they asked questions and did checkups on me in case I developed a reaction to the lenses or the lense cleaner. Also they teach you how to put the lenses in, it took me about an hour to get it right or close to right

Rosiel
09-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Wow... contacts are a LOT cheaper in Canada... I paid about $150-200 /Canadian/ for an exam and top-of-the-line non-throwaway colored contacts (the type you can wear for two years).

O_O

I think I'll continue to get contacts when I visit Montreal. LOL

Cassandra
09-09-2002, 10:26 AM
I have prescription contact lenses (purple ones too!) and it cost me $95 for the exam/fitting and like $80 for 3 boxes of contacts (3 pair in each box for a total of 9 pair).

peacecraft
09-09-2002, 10:44 AM
Do you have insurance that covers your eyes? My eye exams are $20 for a co-payment and any contacts and glasses I get would be $20 as well. If you have a vision plan, yours may be as well.

Rosiel
09-09-2002, 10:46 AM
> I get would be $20 as well

I don't think that holds for cosmetic (i.e. colored) contacts in most plans though.

Cassandra
09-09-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Rosiel

I don't think that holds for cosmetic (i.e. colored) contacts in most plans though.

It depends. On my plan, I get a discount for contact lenses and only a basic eye exam. So I have to cover the extra for the contact fitting and whatever is left for the actual contacts.

Out of the pricing I gave earlier, I ended up paying about $30 for the exam and about $50 for the contacts themselves.

My sister's plan would cover everything (if she ever needed to get contacts, which I'm doubting at this point).

Tenjou
10-21-2002, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have an idea of how much 1 pair of blue contacts would be? ^^ Thank you so much!

Gothic_Lulu
10-21-2002, 10:00 PM
Does anyone have an idea of how much 1 pair of blue contacts would be? ^^ Thank you so much!

-Um I actually bought colored contacts (clear, blue, turqoise and, green....I have some purple). And I spend about 30 bucks a box for prescription contacts (I think they are slightly cheaper non prescription) and you get three pairs a box. I think they are pretty standard. But if you do not already wear contacts I would really reccomend getting a checkup to make sure you can wear them.....it is a pain but it is good in the long run.....they usually measure your eye to make sure the contact fits perfectly.....

-Gothic Lulu:devil:

(I want some red contacts......just broke right now though:thumbsup: :crylaugh: )

Keurblitz
10-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Eck, I just asked this other place about contacts. They are charging me $50 for the check up to see if the contact would fit my eye, then they are charging me $37.50 for 3 pairs of contacts which are 2 week disposables

Spooky Brew
10-21-2002, 11:42 PM
I just got an eye-exam for contacts. It costs around 60-80 dollars. But it is worth it! Contacts are really popular now-a-days and just getting them off the internet or just going to somewhere Canada would not be such a *good* idea. They don't have the type of protection laws we have here. As well, contacts are a f@$#ing bitch if it's your first try... it took me over an hour to get them on, and it's still hard after a week and a half. Your eyes do get used to them, but you can't wear them so many hours per day. And using someone elses contacts can be another major problem because of eye size, you have your own specific eye size and as well just the sanitary. Go see a eye doctor if you really want contacts so bad, but you have to be REALLY into working with them or else they will give you a headache!!!

zephy
10-21-2002, 11:52 PM
See the problem I have is that a lot of the nifty costumey type contacts out there aren't available in my perscription ( I wear contact lenses normally so I can see more than 2 inches in front of my face). I think I'm -7.5 in my right eye and -8 in my left. something like that, dont remember off the top of my head. Ah the glory of having very bad vision.

I dont have to worry about getting blue contacts, though , for all those blue eyed characters :-D gotta love having naturally blue eyes (actually, I hate it. They're ultra-sensitive to light, so even on cloudy days I wind up squinting ). But does anyone know where I can find any different, unique contacts out there?

Rinnie
10-22-2002, 03:28 AM
Wow...some of you guys really are paying a LOT for contact lenses...

Check out Walmart...I think the check up is like $50 for fitting too and then the lenses are like range from like $35 a box to $99 a pair.....

Depending on your eye size and color certain contacts will be better at looking more realistic. Keeping in mind of your skin tone would also be a good idea....I know a place that makes some awesome custom colored lenses.....

It's important to keep in mind also what type of eyes you have....for instance if you are asian have more of the smaller eyes...and darker base color..there are some manufacturers out there that could cater better to your needs....

I've noticed that some Tawianese and Korean pharmacutical companies design the patterns on the lense and size them more appropiately asian eyes....(IE Brighter colors and pattern makes eyes seem larger..)

...I'll add more later.

Rinnie
10-22-2002, 03:36 AM
Keurblitz:

IMO: It would be a good idea to have your eyes checked out to make sure you can get lenses first. If you have this thingie...that starts with an A O_O i forget what it was...you can't wear lenses....Sorta browse around on the internet on different types of manufactures of lenses......when you find what you like...tell your doc and have him size you for that....as long as the company is legit..they probably can special order it for you. Since you're in NYC...I don't think you'd end up paying more than $50 for a prescription...then you can get whatever lense colors from that type you were prescribed from.

Remember to keep your hands clean and change them regularly. Usually docs are pretty cool about it and usually have in office trials for you to test out colors and how they feel.

If you have any more questions PM me. Send me a pic and I can recommend a color and manufacturer for you. Then you can ask your doc about it.

Hope this helps.

L to the 3rd
10-22-2002, 04:29 AM
mine are Fresh-look..blue contacts..
disposable.. for $40 a pack (4 pairs).
they fit and look natural.

Cassandra
10-22-2002, 07:54 AM
ALso remember to look for the full out color contacts and not just the tinted contacts. They are different. If you have dark eyes and get the tinted ones, you won't be able to really notice the color.

I have brown eyes and I originally had green tinted lenses. It looked like I had some mucousy covering on my eye. It was kinda gross. Now I have the full out purple lenses and it looks pretty natural for purple eyes ;)

Keurblitz
10-22-2002, 08:57 AM
Eck, I know where to go and what to do now, the only barrier that's holding me back is money -_- I'm broke... unless I get a job, I won't get contacts until after the year ends... I'll needa save up somehow.... ack, DAMN COLLEGE expenses

Celine
10-22-2002, 11:05 AM
If you already wear contacts, it is safe to buy novelty contacts which are slightly different in size. Although wearing them for prolonged amounts of time (10+ hours, I've found), can be uncomfortable, if you only wear them at cons (and not daily), they are fine. Most colored contacts do *not* come in my exact eye measurements, but I have had no problems with the ones I have bought.

Cassandra- where did you find good purple contacts? I have green eyes, and I can't find any place which sells decent purple contacts. I've been wearing some of the full color contacts and I like the look they give for some of the colors least similar to my own. I wear tinted for blue and aqua (yay for clear for green! ^_^), and all over color for hazel, brown, and red.

Cassandra
10-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Mine are Freshlook color Violet lenses. I get them through my eye doctor, but here's a site that sells them. (I'll also note to anyone who doesn't feel like clicking on the link that they're $35/pair or $30/3 pair on the site.)
http://www.coloredcontacts.com/prices.htm

It was the Freshlook Enhancer Green that I had before that made my eyes look all gooky. Oh the pain of bad eyesight ;)

Tenjou
10-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Thank you so much everyone! ^^ I didn't know they could measure eyes. I get so freaked out when anyone tries to get near my eyes, let alone touch and poke them. XD that's why I never wear eye makeup. I always think I'll poke my eyeball with the pencil/mascara brush and deflate my eyeball.

^^;; So I'll just use my brown eyes. ^^;; hehe.

Celine
10-22-2002, 04:16 PM
Thanks Cassandra! I think I have Freshlook Colorblends brown (my favorite contacts ^_^), so I know they are a pretty good company. I once tried some randomly violet contacts when I was younger, and they looked kinda grey. I was so disappointed.