PDA

View Full Version : "Female" Edward Elric from FMA

Usachan
12-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Being a HUGE fan of Full Metal Alchemist, I finally have the chance
to cosplay as Ed. Next year I plan on doing him in a female form.

I've also given myself the nickname of "Co-Ed"

What does everyone think about that? Give me your thoughts!

CloudyCandy
12-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Kawaii! I once saw a fanart called, "Ed Has Girly Clothes!" where Ed had to dress up as a girl for an assignment? I think it's the cutest thing ever. <3

http://edfunnyfma.deviantart.com/art/Ed-has-Girly-Clothes-55007326

pmastamonkmonk
12-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Lol, make him a part of Roy's Mini-skirt Military?

A black pleated skirt would look super cute matched up with that coat, but you'd really need to get original.

The problem with "Girl' cosplays are that they looked rushed and pulled from the closet. Like you didn't have enough time to make an "Actual costume". You need to work hard on your design so it looks like you put a lot of effort into it and it still looks like Edward, otherwise a lot of people may look down on you. :\

I'd probably try to get really accurate boots or at least wear boots with the costume (Ed does wear them, it's a part of him), a nice black mini skirt (pleated looks super cute!), his coat, but I'd also do the automail, that way the costume doesn't look forced and it's recognizable as Ed. :3

Cat-Chans
12-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Lol, make him a part of Roy's Mini-skirt Military?

A black pleated skirt would look super cute matched up with that coat, but you'd really need to get original.

The problem with "Girl' cosplays are that they looked rushed and pulled from the closet. Like you didn't have enough time to make an "Actual costume". You need to work hard on your design so it looks like you put a lot of effort into it and it still looks like Edward, otherwise a lot of people may look down on you. :\

I'd probably try to get really accurate boots or at least wear boots with the costume (Ed does wear them, it's a part of him), a nice black mini skirt (pleated looks super cute!), his coat, but I'd also do the automail, that way the costume doesn't look forced and it's recognizable as Ed. :3

Good advice

I agree that a lot of the gender switch costumes I see often look thrown together and rushed. I don't have a problem at all with the idea (I've done it myself) but you should put just as much effort into this as you would if you were making the actual costume.

The key is to see what makes that character distinct. For Ed it's going to be Automail, Braided blonde hair, and that red coat.

And I agree, if you're going to do a female ed, and it's going to expose your legs or arms you NEED to make the automail.

pmastamonkmonk
12-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Good advice

I agree that a lot of the gender switch costumes I see often look thrown together and rushed. I don't have a problem at all with the idea (I've done it myself) but you should put just as much effort into this as you would if you were making the actual costume.

The key is to see what makes that character distinct. For Ed it's going to be Automail, Braided blonde hair, and that red coat.

And I agree, if you're going to do a female ed, and it's going to expose your legs or arms you NEED to make the automail.

*raises hand* Also guilty, but mine actually was thrown together last minute around a wig and a prop... XD

I do actually plan on making a decent one... just after I do all the hundreds of other costumes I need to do! XD