PDA

View Full Version : Gungrave cosplay

DigitalCactus
09-08-2002, 12:52 AM
Bonjour people! Its your friendly neighbourhood DigitalCactus again. I am SERIOUSLY considering going as Grave from Gungrave... I do not own the game but it looks phat.. right now I cant affort a PS2. Anyway does anyone have any good recerence pics? Especially of the back of his costume? Thanks

Briareos
09-08-2002, 04:33 AM
Hi

The only pictures I could find on the net was those two I took at the comic market this year.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic of his back :(

Upfront:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=7933&size=big

Standing in the left corner of the pic:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=7936&size=big

-Bri

DigitalCactus
09-08-2002, 12:54 PM
oh wow thats still cool!! I have an issue of HyperHobby magazine (japanese toy mag) and its got a few pics of him but they're a bit small, thank you so much though, his costume is an inspiration

Pollyanna
09-08-2002, 02:21 PM
Well, I THINK there's an anime coming out. I saw a poster for it in Newtype I think it was. That would help a lot if it was. Personally, after playing the game, I hope it isn't a TV series. It's so shallow that it's only suited to a movie or OVA.

makio
09-09-2002, 02:15 AM
Unfortunately, most action games are really short on storyline and heavy on...well, action obviously. Though given Grave's background and Gungrave's artwork as a whole...I'm sure there'll be a couple more people cosplaying him when the game is released. Nice pictures of that cosplayer, btw!

Briareos
09-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Well, I been browsing around a little bit more and found a few more links to check out :chatah:

A picture of his back:
http://www.nlgaming.com/media/PlayStation%202/2150/42.jpg

Another pic of his back:
http://www.newtechnix.com/Webmasters/supertony/Images/News_PS2_Gungrave_30.jpg

GunGrave artwork:
http://www.gameforms.com/games/ps2/gungrave/media/media2/

A cool dude:
http://www.geocities.com/canstopthebumrush/gg/ggsk1.jpg

I did find a very good page, but it was a site for members so I got kick out again:mad:
I'll try again tomorrow to steal the image there:untrust:

-Bri

DigitalCactus
09-09-2002, 10:47 PM
wow man that artwork rocks thanks so much! I think its safe to say I have what I was looking for.

Briareos
09-10-2002, 02:02 AM
Did you also check your mail?

-Bri

Daala
09-10-2002, 10:47 AM
hey here's a link I just got... I'm posting it cuz I'll forget it if don't >> Japanese Mag - High - Res images (http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20020711/gg.htm)

:crylaugh:

makio
09-12-2002, 05:04 AM
I've got a general idea on how to create/find most of the apparel for the costume, but I'm at a total loss on how to create the coffin. I have light-weight lumber to possibly use, but lugging that around during the day might get cumbersome... but at least I wouldn't have to worry about it falling apart; unlike a paper-mache' one. Any ideas on how to make Grave's coffin (without grave robbing!)...?

DigitalCactus
09-12-2002, 01:48 PM
hmm youknow I did want to make the coffin myself but Im also at a total loss. I was thinking I might make the whole thing by whatever means necissary, without regaurd for the weight and then covering the whole thing in a latex and making a negative hold perhaps? then fill the mold with fibreglass.. its ROCK hard and super lightweight when it dries.. but very frustrating to work with...

makio
09-19-2002, 03:54 AM
Actually, this is the perfect time of the year to find supplies to make various costumes...with Halloween rolling around, you could probably do the same thing I did - which was rummage various Halloween shops for supplies. I happened to come across one of those novelty heavy cardboard/lightweight wooden coffins, so I'll probably use that as a template of sorts.

However, I can't seem to find a good picture of Grave's back...the portion of it where the tails of his jacket are. I'm trying to alter an old trenchcoat into Grave's overcoat. Help? :\

DigitalCactus
09-21-2002, 07:27 PM
hmm i have a very TINY image of the back where his tails are.. my email is C_Canizales@yahoo.com.. if ya want the image i can email it to ya just let me know

officer_fujita
10-02-2002, 02:19 AM
I'm also interested with grave, does anybody have a picture of his coffin?

officer_fujita
10-02-2002, 02:49 AM
Oops, I just checked some more of the links posted and saw the details in Grave's coffin. Sorry for that.

Like digital cactus, I still don't have a PS2, so I don't know much about the game. Does grave's coffin has any interesting properties? (ie. does into some sort of special weapon like Wolfwood's cross punisher?)

battlechaser
10-02-2002, 01:22 PM
hehe.. a suggestion for the bulky coffin------

make it your bag, like put all ur belongings inside to lessen the things u'll bring on the evnt. if you want put a pillow and sleeping mat inside so u peeps could rest if you want to. j/k

gambatte minna-san!

officer_fujita
10-03-2002, 10:36 PM
lol- can't do that, it'll make the construction a bit more difficult plus it'll make the item heavier

DigitalCactus
10-04-2002, 12:10 AM
XD Acutally I was going to make my coffin functional hehe Im thinking I could get some piano or door hinges (probably found at Home Depot) so that the coffin opens up and put my change of clothes/money/snacks in.

officer_fujita
10-10-2002, 11:11 AM
Does anyone have any idea on how to make Grave's chaps (those pair of white thingies that covers his legs)?

battlechaser
10-10-2002, 03:08 PM
>Does anyone have any idea on how to make Grave's chaps (those pair of white thingies that covers his legs)?

sculpted rubber with white latex. ^_^

makio
10-10-2002, 04:51 PM
I'd really like to make them out of a really durable material, since I'd be keeping the guns in there...But I've got the sinking feeling that I'll use up a lot of sewing needles doing so.

...out of all the costumes I want to do (including Dracula from Castlevania:SotN), I really want this one to turn out perfect! Argh..!

officer_fujita
10-10-2002, 11:16 PM
Battlechaser:
White latex is too...shiny @___@ I'm looking for a matte finish so I'm thinking of using canvas. But there's just something wrong with canvas that I'm having second thoughts about it.

My next choice would have to be white synthetic leather (the kind used for upholsteries), but the problem about that would be finding a seamstress who would be willing to sew them together. Most would only agree to sew fabrics. Argh... this is really giving me a headache (but it's cool, since I like a challenge).

Makiotwist:
lol. I know what you mean, let's just do our best with Grave ^o^

officer_fujita
10-31-2002, 11:28 PM
Help! Does anyone have larger versions of these images?

officer_fujita
10-31-2002, 11:29 PM
and...

officer_fujita
10-31-2002, 11:30 PM
and this one? Please?

DigitalCactus
02-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Briareos... i know its been a long time but do you think you could resend htose gungrave cosplayer pics you sent to me a while ago? my email is still C_Canizales@yahoo.com

makio
02-10-2003, 03:54 AM
I decided I'm not using vinyl or any 'shiny' material for most of the outfit, especially the gunholsters/chaps. A durable (and still sew-able) material to use would be muslin, which can even be dyed a whiter colour if needed.

By the way... I'm not sure if anyone else saw this...but a friend of mine IMed me a link to a site where they actually made a functional Ceruberus! Here's the URL:

http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/people/kimon/

You might need Altavista.com or the like to translate the site, but near the middle of that page even has a movie showing how the gun is fired and everything! For an 'added' bpnus, it even shows you how to make your own! Unfortunately, most conventions have a strict propgun policy, so I definitely would check on that before bothering to go that far...
:devil:

Briareos
02-10-2003, 04:06 AM
Hi DigitalCactus

I have just forwarded my old mail to you and added two new pictures I took last time I was at the comic market.
Yep, I meet the guy again and this time I took a pic of his back.

-Bri :skidude2:

ZiggyB
02-10-2003, 04:45 AM
Speaking of Gungrave cosplay... I just ran across this Japanese cosplayer who's done Gungrave... oh... my... god... I'm not worthy...

http://www.not-funny.com/event/021027/021027_6.jpg
http://www.not-funny.com/event/021027/021027_7.jpg

The source site is http://www.not-funny.com/ it's in the Japanese section, not in the English section.

makio
02-10-2003, 06:30 AM
I like what he did with the guns, boots, and coffin... but my hat or trenchcoat'll won't look as bright, since I'm making it black instead of the game's "navy blue-ish" tone.

ZiggyB - did you decide when/where you're wearing yours?

ZiggyB
02-10-2003, 06:34 AM
I'm gonna try for AX03, but no promises. :)

Yah, I'm going with the all black as well, that way people can't see all the screw ups that I *know* will happen. :)

What little the coffin I can see in the picture it looks good. I do wonder how heavy it is, and he was able to hang it off of his forearms. That's something I'm worried about, but that's dependent on how heavy the coffin is... ugh... my head hurts. :)

makio
02-13-2003, 06:02 AM
Ziggy- I'll be sure to keep an eye out at AX' just in case. :) Pictures of the Grave cosplayers thus far have been pretty cool.

I wish there was a picture of the front of the coffin, just to see how he completed it... but it's still good. I'm still at a loss on what kind of material or even wood to use. Gotta be light yet durable... I don't need my arms coming out of socket! :D

ZiggyB
02-13-2003, 06:12 AM
I'm probably not gonna use wood.

AJ was telling me about this...foam core? or something like that you can find in hobby shops. It's light and strong. I might also look into using plastic from Tap Plastics.

Hehe, if we actually finish for AX we should set a time for a Gungrave gathering or something. I dunno, a whole clan of Graves would look cool. :)

makio
02-13-2003, 06:23 AM
Foam core and plastics... hm. I'll check it out.

AX is too far of a drive for me, and I know they wouldn't let me on a plane with a costume like that packed! :crylaugh: Maybe if I kept the propguns in a briefcase like in the game and stowed it with other luggage (not in overhead compartment)...

ZiggyB
02-13-2003, 06:38 AM
Actually, I'm planning on making the coffin so you can dismantle it and pack it in normal suitcase. I don't know how yet, but that's the plan. :)

Thankfully AX is within drivng distance for me, but the intact coffin would still take up a ton of room and my carpool mates would kill me. :)

One option if you use foam core, is to then use industrial strength velcro to hold everything together. AJ swears it's strong enough, so I'll look into it. I may add lightweight metal latches at the edges for additional security.

Hehe, I was thinking about making that briefcase gun holder too, just to have the complete package ya know. :D The sad thing is I know were to get the metal briefcase (it's really expensive unless I find it at a thrift shop) and there's a place here called Bob's Foam Factory that could make the foam padding inside.

Oh speaking of the guns. I'm sorta worried that convention weapons policies might not like it. I'm going to make it to scale, which should look huge. I'm also thinking of painting the tips a bright color to show that it is only a prop gun. You think there's anything else that can be done to the guns to make it less threatening to a convention?

Hmm, now that I think about a AX gathering... I'm gonna see if I can beg/bribe a friend to cosplay the girl, Mika Asagi. Her outfit is pretty simple, red jacket, black skirt, black leggings.

Maybe the Dr T too... since it's just a labcoat.

Ack getting ahead of myself. I haven't even *started* with Grave yet. :)

DigitalCactus
04-17-2003, 09:47 PM
How's everyones costume coming along? I've started to run into a few bumps in the road. How are you constructing any of the multitude of crosses he has on his costume? Any suggestions?

DigitalCactus
04-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Anyone out there?

makio
04-22-2003, 01:52 AM
D'Cactus - There's a little wooden kit I bought from Wal-Mart that has something similar. I'm just using a regular hobby knife to cut the actual shape. I'm sure most craft stores carry it though. Probably metal ones too.

Ziggy - You should look into someone cosplaying Bunji. :) It's an easy costume to make. I'm getting a friend of mine to do it on this end, he practically looks like him anyway.

officer_fujita
04-22-2003, 02:25 AM
For the small crosses on his hat, knee pads, and boots: we cut textured linoleum (yes, the one used to cover your floor) into shape and put it on top of rubber foam (cut exactly the same size as the cross). Linoleum has this nice texture and looks great when painted silver, while the rubber foam adds more thickness. For the large cross on his back, we're still not sure what technique to use; I'm still thinking if I should just spray the design on the coat itself or apply the same method we used for the little crosses.

I know it's kinda hard to imagine, but it does look good. I wish I had a digital camera so I can show it to you, but alas- even my cheap point-and-shoot camera isn't available.

DigitalCactus
04-22-2003, 11:04 AM
MaikoTwist- Just wondering what wooden kit are ya talkin about?

I'm actualy planning on going to Walmark sometime this week.
Also...are you going to be at Otakon this year?

If so what days are you going as Grave?

makio
04-22-2003, 03:50 PM
D'Cactus - I'm not bringing Grave to Otakon (wouldn't have luggage room)... Though if you are, I'll be sure to snag pictures! As for the wooden kit, I think it was some kind of Christian pride cross and plaque. I threw out the wrapper, so I unfortunately can't help there... but I think it'd be better to go with Fujita's Linoleum idea, it does sound better than what I did.

DigitalCactus
04-23-2003, 12:33 AM
ack Ive run itno a major bump in the road...I am going to have to use a completely different pattern because the one I started to use just wasnt working for me... the sleeves were all wrong and it was too baggy.. plus I think I'm going to actually get navy for the fabric, not black like I originally had...

And I completely forgot Otakon's weapon policy... Should I paint the tips bright orange?

BTW: I dont think I'll have the coffin done anytime soon...

makio
04-23-2003, 09:01 AM
D'Cactus - That's part of the reason why I didn't bother to bring Grave to Otakon was the coffin and the weapons policy. So I'll just save it for a local photoshoot or the like...

DigitalCactus
04-23-2003, 09:02 PM
hmmm well I know for a fact that this will be my main costume for this year's otakon...

Maiko: When you finish the costume I would as I'm sure everyone else posting on this thread would love to see yours and everyones completed outfit. I'll post my pics when I finish mine...

DigitalCactus
04-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Anyone else custom-making their hats? I just finished the patern for mine. If anyone wants a copy of the patern let me know

DigitalCactus
05-05-2003, 12:30 PM
anyone? hello? *echoes*

DigitalCactus
05-06-2003, 12:36 AM
By the way Officer Fujita:

YES! Grave's coffin DOES have special properties. In fact, much like the cross punisher.. It can be used as a gattling gun and shoots rockets.

DigitalCactus
05-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Anyone out there?*waiting * If anyone wants to talk about how there costume is going Im always on AIM

makio
05-15-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm around. Just trying to figure out when/where it'd be financially wise to finish up Grave on the side. I'm not as upset that I ruined the first attempt at his jacket with the sewing machine...so I might give it another go after summer.

DigitalCactus
05-15-2003, 12:47 AM
I also ruined the jacket on the first attempt. The pattern was all wrong. For now, I hate to say it, but I am constructing a TEMPORARY coffin made of cardboard, mostly...

DigitalCactus
05-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Ohh making my hat from SCRATCH Its turning out pretty sweet.. All I have to do is piece it together. Anyone have pics of their costuem in progress?

Balmung
06-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Hey guys I'm taking cosplay gun commisions. Need any help with your ceruberus'? I make cosplay guns from layers of foamies. I would be more than happy to make a set for a reasonable price. If you look in my gallery I have a pic up of one of Yuna's Tiny bees that I'm working on now. I can have two guns done in a week. PM me and we can talk some more ^_^ P.S. I shold have ALOT more pic of my cosplay guns up soon.

DigitalCactus
06-04-2003, 01:00 AM
ooh Cant wait to see that...

Want to make my coffin for me? XD haha that things a PAIN!!

Balmung
06-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Hrmmm I am interested in making it... it might be pricy ~_~; I WANT to make it though. I love making cosplay guns ^_^ I dunno PM me and we can talk some more

Balmung
06-10-2003, 10:09 PM
hey DC do you have some good pics of the back of grave's coat? particularly the piping on the coat tails. Thanx

DigitalCactus
06-10-2003, 11:45 PM
of course hehehe Let me see what I've got...

DigitalCactus
07-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Just wondering... Other than actually cutting the trim shapes from fabric.. what can I do for the red trim on Grave's jacket??

DigitalCactus
07-13-2003, 12:09 AM
hmm oh well another tripple post but thats ok Its been a while...

I found this edging stuff used for pillows that I think would make a kick ass trim! I'll have pics up soon of my Grave jacket! Woo hoo

makio
07-14-2003, 11:38 AM
I decided for the sake of my well-being, I won't wear the Grave costume until autumn/winter time, because I'll end up sweating to death if I wear it to any summer convention. LoL

Then again, I could always go as Bunji... :devil:

DigitalCactus
07-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Shit Maiko you going to Otakon by anychance this year??? If you are I have to get pics of us fighting!