PDA

View Full Version : Costume help: Dark Link

DustOnMYWings
12-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok, my next cosplay that I will be doing is Dark Link from the Zelda games. I've looked at pics of him and from what I can tell he wears Link's normal clothing but in black right?
If someone else has cosplayed him before can you please help me out, I'm kind of lost on where to begin on this one.
Plus, the hat...how on earth do you make that thing without it looking like a big sock? :crylaugh:
But no worries, I've got a while to work on this one (Yay! No last minute rushing!)

Dust

Rinoa07
12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
For his tunic, you can take a basic shirt pattern and just make it longer, flaring it out from the waist down. The collar is a bit tricky and I'm not too sure how to explain it, it's best if you get a shirt pattern with a collar pattern included, then modify.

A black turtleneck will suffice for the undershirt, as will black bracers, which are simple enough to make using some very stiff pleather (I actually had these from a long time ago, hurry for Xena!), then get some black gloves. You can cut the fingers off these, or not, depending on what they're made of, where you got them from, etc. Find yourself some black leggings or tights (i had tights), and a pair of black boots. If your boots don't have the little flap thingies, you can create them out of the same stuff you made your bracers out of, same with the shoulder belt. The one I used was entirely hand sewn, but still a functioning belt.

The hat is probably the easiest part of the costume. First take your head measurement, where the hat is going to sit. For the sake of the explanation let's say it's 20 inches around. Now cut out out two isoscoles triangles from the fabric with bases of 22-23 inches (these extra inches are for the brim). Now sew along both edges until there 2-3 inches remaining at the end on each side, then turn the hat inside out and finish the seams. When you've done that, merely fold over the brim and voila, instant Link hat.

Once you've done all that, don't forget the ears, some make up to make you look deathly pale, or completely black, then the shield and sword. Oh, and if you're a girl, bind your chest. That'll help loads.

DustOnMYWings
12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Rinoa07: Thank you so much for that, I was kind of scared to do this because in the past the only costumes I made were for other people, I've cosplayed as a cat girl, L, and Edward, but never in a costume I made by myself. so I hope this turns out ok, and I'm going to use black makeup, none of the dark links I've seen at the cons go for the black face.
And the chest binding, I'm going to try it, but heaven knows how it'll turn out ^_~
Well thanks loads for the help, I'll do my best on this one!

Rinoa07
12-03-2007, 11:17 PM
It's a really simple costume to make so you shouldn't have any difficulty with it, I was actually able to put my costume together in about two days.

oh noes, i mades a mistake with the measurements for the link hat. The directions should read like this instead:

The hat is probably the easiest part of the costume. First take your head measurement, where the hat is going to sit. For the sake of the explanation let's say it's 20 inches around. Now cut out out two isoscoles triangles from the fabric with bases of 12-13 inches (these extra inches are for the brim). Now sew along both edges until there 2-3 inches remaining at the end on each side, then turn the hat inside out and finish the seams. When you've done that, merely fold over the brim and voila, instant Link hat

so good luck ^_^

Forcebewitya
12-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Rinoa07: Thank you so much for that, I was kind of scared to do this because in the past the only costumes I made were for other people, I've cosplayed as a cat girl, L, and Edward, but never in a costume I made by myself. so I hope this turns out ok, and I'm going to use black makeup, none of the dark links I've seen at the cons go for the black face.
And the chest binding, I'm going to try it, but heaven knows how it'll turn out ^_~
Well thanks loads for the help, I'll do my best on this one!

Good choice with the black makeup, my friend InkyLink does the black makeup so I'd give him a PM he'll be helpful I'm sure, he pretty much wrote the book on Dark Link cosplay ^_^.

http://members.cosplay.com/member/59870/

Forcebewitya.

DustOnMYWings
12-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Good choice with the black makeup, my friend InkyLink does the black makeup so I'd give him a PM he'll be helpful I'm sure, he pretty much wrote the book on Dark Link cosplay ^_^.

http://members.cosplay.com/member/59870/

Forcebewitya.

Oh wow, I saw your friend's pictures and that's the reason I wanted to do Dark Link!!!! The only thing that worries me about the dark make up is I'm as pale as a freaking ghost, and the only time I've used dark make up is on Halloween, (I went as a shadow, it was great) and the make up around my neck kept rubbing off on my shirt T_T but this time I'm going over to the S/F store to see if they have something better than what the local costume store carries.
Oh one more thing, that just a random question to anyone who reads this post.
Don't you love the looks you get from people staying at the hotels? I almost always die laughing from some of the question's my sis and I get asked ^_^ but best is when you have to go get something to get while in costume lol :toothy:

InkyLink
12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Oh wow, I saw your friend's pictures and that's the reason I wanted to do Dark Link!!!! The only thing that worries me about the dark make up is I'm as pale as a freaking ghost, and the only time I've used dark make up is on Halloween, (I went as a shadow, it was great) and the make up around my neck kept rubbing off on my shirt T_T but this time I'm going over to the S/F store to see if they have something better than what the local costume store carries.
Oh one more thing, that just a random question to anyone who reads this post.
Don't you love the looks you get from people staying at the hotels? I almost always die laughing from some of the question's my sis and I get asked ^_^ but best is when you have to go get something to get while in costume lol :toothy:

^_^ Thanks! The make-up I suggested to you is extremely thick and covering, but it does rub off easily. I had the same neck problem for a while until I did get a thin tight turtleneck to wear under it. (like Rinoa07 suggested already)

This costume can really be as easy or as hard as you want depending on how many steps you take and how much effort you spend on it. Forcebewitya and I still want to get perfectly shaped custom leather boots, I still need a wig and I might be making myself a light up mask like Saeru's Anti-Sora mask eventually. ^_^

I love random hotel people. Usually there's a prom going on around ACEN haha, I'm sure they love that! lol at YoumaCon we got some old people who were like really drunk stop and take pictures with us too, lol.

-InkyLink

Forcebewitya
12-04-2007, 02:04 PM
^_^ Thanks! The make-up I suggested to you is extremely thick and covering, but it does rub off easily. I had the same neck problem for a while until I did get a thin tight turtleneck to wear under it. (like Rinoa07 suggested already)

This costume can really be as easy or as hard as you want depending on how many steps you take and how much effort you spend on it. Forcebewitya and I still want to get perfectly shaped custom leather boots, I still need a wig and I might be making myself a light up mask like Saeru's Anti-Sora mask eventually. ^_^

I love random hotel people. Usually there's a prom going on around ACEN haha, I'm sure they love that! lol at YoumaCon we got some old people who were like really drunk stop and take pictures with us too, lol.

-InkyLink

OMG those old people were awesome my grandma would have totally been one of them if she was there lol. Yeah have fun with you're dark link costume if you dont have enough money or time to get it perfect you can always keep making it better throughout the years thats what I did with mine.

Forcebewitya.

DustOnMYWings
12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks both of you! and I have a while before the next Con in my area, so I have the time to work on it for a while, I think the thing I want to get just right are the gloves, I have a thing with glovs lol
and OMG any of you guys seen the way Redneck people act when you're in costume???? It's enough to make you die from laughter ^_^ Florida, you gotta love the anime con's down here *snickers*

Luther
12-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey, something I thought I'd throw in: in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one of Link's custom colors is Dark Link. So you could make your costume based off of that version if you wanted. There's pictures here (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various16.html) and here (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique08.html) (scroll down a bit). Even if you don't use that design it could give you some ideas. And though there's only a couple pictures of it right now, once the game is released you can zoom in on Linky-poo in-game all you want and see the details real well.