PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me ? (DBZ cosplay Talk)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Okay I was just skimming through cosplay.com and many other cosplay sites. I stumbled apon a large variety of dbz cosplayers. But for some reason I noticed that all of these costumes are not so great. I do give them credit for making these costumes. But I just keep thinking they don't try very hard. I mean I've seen some scary scary costumes of dbz cosplayers trying to flex their no muscled arms.
Also I noticed that no one has gotten the hair very good. I saw maybe a okay goku with foam hair. But its jsut scary to see these ugly foam.......things on their head and your like. What the hell is this? The only characters I've seen that has a large majority of them being accurate is Great Saiyaman, and Hercule. Maybe a couple of vejita's too because their are some awesome vejita's. So I was just thinking maybe it was just me to notice these things.

(Please do not lash out at me. I am just stating my opinion.)

KnuxieChan
06-01-2003, 07:23 PM
There was a cool girl Vegeta (She was abit skinny.. but the costume was so cute!) up at Colossal con 2003 ^^ She had a good wig.

I hate the foam wigs too =/

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Foam wigs are dicusting so I am not the only person so yay!

kdthompson
06-01-2003, 07:40 PM
I'm not a fan of foam either. Animazement 2001 I went as Piccolo and I will be the first to say that my costume wasn't the best. In fact, It sucked. Reasons for it's sucky-ness:

- I made it in a rush

- I made it on a low budget

- It was the first costume I'd made and my first con

- I didn't have the costume making skills I have now.

For all you interested in seeing the monstrosity...here it is, the shot from Fans View: http://www.fansview.com/2001/animazement/0526a101.jpg

And please forgive my Jigglypuff bag for all you hard core fans; I think it's cute.

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Wow..........no comment

CapsuleCorp
06-01-2003, 09:05 PM
I'm hoping to inject some professionalism into DBZ costumes. I've got Goku's Turtle-hermit outfit so far, but I don't go all-out with the hair or anything. Ah yes, and the Capsule Corp jacket - actual purple, not a jean jacket. I will, however, be working on Dende for DragonCon and over the winter, a saiyan armor project with some foam-latex sculptors.

Thing is, most of the costumes in DBZ are actually really simple, I don't see why people would have trouble making them. Apart from some bits, like Piccolo's cape, or saiyan armor, nearly everything is a very simple shirt, tunic, pants, jumpsuit, etc. I could knock out most of it in an afternoon without trying and it would still look good. It's only the odd alien characters - Nameks, Kais, Buu - where you start running into issues with complexity. And then, it's mostly with makeup, wigs, and prosthetics, not so much the cloth parts of the costume.

But you're right, I have also seen really bad DBZ costumes, and mediocre ones. Inaccurate, too. It's really not hard to get the details right, and yet some people just don't. I don't understand it. I'd love to sit them all down and give them a crash course in costume 101.

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 09:10 PM
If you do I shall join you. Like you said their soo easy and aren't that hard to put togeather. I mean I have not seen an awesome costume yet for dbz that isn't hercule or great saiyaman. Yes indeed the capsule corp jacket is a very questionable peice of clothing. Some say its jean some say its a purple jacket. I've seen some mediocre ones.

CapsuleCorp
06-01-2003, 09:19 PM
It's a purple jacket in every picture I've ever seen. Moreover, it has an oversized collar, is cropped very short, and has one large pocket on the front of each side. No jean jacket is going to have that, you'd have to custom make it regardless of its color to get the cut and fit right.

I think I have pics of mine on my website. Yeah, here:
http://www.strangelandcostumes.com/images/DBZJacketFront.JPG
http://www.strangelandcostumes.com/images/DBZJacketBack.JPG
http://www.strangelandcostumes.com/images/DBZJacketSide.JPG

I saw one at ACen that was just a jean jacket with a tiny patch sewed onto the sleeve, but it was one of those jackets with a leather collar. I nearly laughed myself silly. For a costume done up in a pinch and on a budget, I could see using a jean jacket, but even so...the leather collar??

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 09:29 PM
lmao oh well some people just dun give a damn. I am going to be Great Saiyaman. But I am not gonna be a ordinary Saiyaman. I'ma be Saiyaman without the turbon. And I can spike my hair up like him ^_^

Moogle Hiromi
06-01-2003, 09:30 PM
I cosplayed as Chichi for ComicFest 2002 in Sydney. I know my costume wasn't very good, but a lot of people like how I portrayed the character. *grins* I want to do another Chichi costume down the track, one that wasn't rushed, and didn't have a small budget. My sewing skills have improved immensly since then, and I also have worked out how to make my hair straight. [which didn't happen with my costume] anyway here is mine:
http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=6479

I bet you all could point out the things wrong with it. But alas, I know them all!
*goes back to her Shia costume*

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 09:37 PM
The female dbz cosplayers I do admit are the best ones

Hikaruchan
06-01-2003, 09:38 PM
I actually kinda liked the 2 DragonBall cosplayers I saw at DragonCon last year and got pics of

http://www.icosplay.com/dragoncon/Dsc02226.jpg
http://www.icosplay.com/dragoncon/Dsc02605.jpg

But I am not a big DBZ fan, so I don't know what parts of the outfit might be wrong without reference

sailor-moon
06-01-2003, 09:40 PM
do you have any idea how hard it would be to make a super saiya-jin wig outa real wig hair *_____________________*

i work with wigs all the time, and its quite hard to do gravity deffying hairstyles, especially DBZ characters, for a super saiya-jin chibi goten and trunks i used foam and it came out really good, ill see if i can find some pics of my lil bro in them this week.

for the most part, yea..DBZ costumes are some of the easiest to make

EDIT :foudn a pic of him in it, not the best but you can tell that the foam does look ok:
http://www.fansview.com/2001/otakon/0811e035.jpg

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 09:41 PM
Nice costume.........best one i'ves seen as of now...but....scary hair

sailor-moon
06-01-2003, 09:46 PM
heres a pic of the chibi Trunks wig:

http://www.itsumademo.net/_misc/bro0.jpg

Michi
06-01-2003, 09:55 PM
I've done DBZ cosplay.. but it wasn't a Saiyan character. Though it was an outfit that was hard to get wrong, I'm pretty proud of it.. *points to her gallery* Juuhachi Gou/Cyborg 18/Android 18. ^^

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Here is my attempts to do adult Gohan's hair. What do you think?

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=44596

Michi
06-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Cute and natural looking. ^^

CapsuleCorp
06-01-2003, 10:00 PM
OMG Hikaruchan - that first one, I remember that guy. I was there! He was going around in the lobby every evening of DragonCon without a shirt... *drooool* He chased me down when I was in my can-can dress to get a picture taken with me, and I nearly fell over when I saw those muscles pop out of his arms. WOO!

Those are very good-looking costumes, sailor_moon. *applause*

If I didn't need to keep my hair sort of long for most of my other costumes, I'd get it cut to a decent length and try playing with spray and wax. They're doing amazing things with hair products these days, I find the people willing to just spike up their hair more convincing than foam hair (since it's become such a cliche anyway). At least if the rest of the costume works. That second DragonCon pic up there, it's just wrong. Too loose, and the blue is too bright.

(edit because we posted at the same time) Dude! Chino-san! that looks awesome! See, that's what I'm talking about...hair products. :D

Chino-San
06-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Spiking up their hair is way better

ducky_feet
06-02-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
[B]do you have any idea how hard it would be to make a super saiya-jin wig outa real wig hair *_____________________*

i work with wigs all the time, and its quite hard to do gravity deffying hairstyles, especially DBZ characters, for a super saiya-jin chibi goten and trunks i used foam and it came out really good, ill see if i can find some pics of my lil bro in them this week.

Yeah, it's pretty tough to make SSJ hair. The best SSJ hair that I've seen which used real hair, was when someone with long hair flipped their head over, used ultra-hold hairspray to hold the shape and then flipped their head back up. It came out looking pretty good.

vyrax778
06-02-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by ducky_feet
Yeah, it's pretty tough to make SSJ hair. The best SSJ hair that I've seen which used real hair, was when someone with long hair flipped their head over, used ultra-hold hairspray to hold the shape and then flipped their head back up. It came out looking pretty good.

I saw someone do the same kind of thing but with glue yes GLUE!
He was planning to cut his hair anyway. Wish I had a Picture but it was one of the best DBZ hair Ive seen. the Hair in DBZ is what makes the costumes so dang hard to pull off you either make it out of foam and it looks cheesy or try to spike your hair and it looks just as bad. Only have seen a few that pulled it off well.

Chino-San
06-02-2003, 08:01 AM
For some reason everyone thinks the hair is the hardest. I think the boots are the hardest things to get. Its not that hard to do a dbz kind of hair. I do it every day when I go to school. If you want to see the pic check in the link, in the previous post. I advise you just use L.A looks number 9 or 10 thats always works ^_^. To get even a better look go to a barber show (i\I advise a young barber) and request a blow out. That makes the Z look even better. ^_^ SSJ hair is the easiest because its just one way.......Up. The normal hair styles are abit hardest like Goku's which is just impossible to do because of the gravity and all. Vejita's is pretty much like ssj so thats easy as well. Then theirs adult gohan which isn't that hard at all. But it all depends on your type of hair. If oyu have curly hair forget it because it'll never stick up. I have straight chinese hair (no duh maybe because I am? LMAO). Its allot easier to get the hair done. Might I suggest bee's wax?

number18
06-02-2003, 11:39 AM
I agree that not enough Super Saiyans or saiyans in general are cosplayed...but really, if you don't have the right length hair and some good spiking knowledge, I can imagine the whole thing to be VERY hard. People are having a difficult time it seems just getting Paine's hair from FFX-2 right.

In my Anime Boston 2003 gallery there are a couple of DBZ cosplayers. The Krillin I was with was very good and cute, being a Krillin fan and all. ^_^ I saw two Trunks. One had the purple jacket and one had a jean jacket...I thought both were good. But no saiyans. I have toyed with the idea of trying a Vejita cosplay...when my hair gets a little long, but my hair just still wouldn't be long enough, considering I plan to grow it out to like 5 or 6 inches.

Bee's wax for the hair is a good idea. And speaking of Gohan's hair, there was this Phillipino kid in my HS that cut his hair just like Adult Gohan's, with that one piece spiked down...and then like a week later he had bleached it golden. It was so TOUGH, I instantly had a crush on him. lol. Have any of you seen the ads in Shonen Jump and such for the DBZ games? They have kids with their hair done up like the Saiyans and even in those ads they look pretty bad....but I dont think its supposed to be exact or anything. This all makes me wonder what they're going to do for the DBZ live action movie. But now that I'm thinking about it, I saw a REALLY awesome Japanese Yami Yugi cosplay and the hair was PERFECT...and it wasn't foam. It could have actually been the person's real hair. I guess the real obstacle is just having the right styling products and whatnot.

Anyhoot, yes the costumes are mad easy for the general main characaters. I am under the impression that Juuhachi's (and Juunana) is a little more detailed though. Earrings, boots, belts and she wears a lot of accessories in her other outfits and whatnot. Btw, that's my fave char and I guess what will end up being my "trademark" cosplay (like Aerith does Aerith all the time, ya dig?). I'm reaaaaaly proud of my costume so far, but still there are details lacking that I go into painful detail about in my costume profile thingy. :/

I really think good DBZ cosplay is not done because the more experienced cosplayers like to do challenging or very detailed costumes, and in most ways, the DBZ costumes aren't that. I also am under the impression that somehow people think DBZ cosplay is overdone???? I don't understand how, though, since if anything, it's Final Fantasy cosplay that is overdone (then again there are so many games but still!) Maybe back in Japan in the DBZ hey-day it was overdone, but I think I would have found the cosplay pictures by now if it was in the US...

Oh, and that first Goku cosplayer from DragonCon there totally has my fangirl <3. The costume is really good and his arms are all diesel! <3.<3!

edit: oh and here is a link to that ridiculously good yugioh cosplay. Since it's frames, I can't link right to the page, so just click around.

http://www1.linkclub.or.jp/~westend/goingmyway/sp/yugioh/yugi_cosplay.html

Chino-San
06-02-2003, 06:34 PM
DBZ cosplays are not overdone, thats crap so people can not cosplay them. I do agree with the fact that FF cosplays are over done especially FF10 cosplays. I rarely see dbz cosplayers. Maybe I should have my peice of my hair spiked down always ^_~. Think you wold have a crush on me? (J/k). I say if you don't have the hair style right save yourself the trouble and don't do it. Because the hair is what makes a dbz cosplay , a dbz cosplay. I was thinking of bleaching it gold ^_^

CapsuleCorp
06-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Oo hi number18!! Fellow Krillin fan? WAHOO! :D There's a guy I LARPed with this spring, his friends and I are trying to dress him as Krillin...there was one at ACen but he was way too tall. LOL!

Originally posted by number18
[B]...But no saiyans. I have toyed with the idea of trying a Vejita cosplay...when my hair gets a little long, but my hair just still wouldn't be long enough, considering I plan to grow it out to like 5 or 6 inches.

I thought about that, too, especially with getting saiyan armor this winter, but then the guys working on the project with me pointed out a female saiyan from the Bardock movie. So, since there's only really one guy in the bunch who'll remotely pass for Vegeta, the rest of us are just going to be generic saiyans and I'll be the lone token female.

I don't try to get my hair to do what Goku's does, it's practically impossible. I keep my hair longish for all my other costumes (Jedi, Moulin Rouge, etc) or else I'd get it shorter and styled so I can do my Hiei costume and DBZ stuff properly.

But now that I'm thinking about it, I saw a REALLY awesome Japanese Yami Yugi cosplay and the hair was PERFECT...and it wasn't foam. It could have actually been the person's real hair. I guess the real obstacle is just having the right styling products and whatnot.

OH DUDE!!! I can't get anything on that site to load - can you right-click on the picture and get its Properties, so you can just directly link to the JPG? I wanna see that!!!!

I agree, though, that DBZ cosplay is not overdone, at least not currently. If it was in the past, it's sort of died down a little, meaning those of us who still want to do it can do it right and people will notice. My only problem is that I'm not male, and while I do work out, I can't quite do the muscly thing. :) So, I can't really pass for a main character. But there is enough variety in characters that there's plenty I can and will do. If it's a challenge the veteran cosplayers want, I dare them to do a GOOD Piccolo, with the armored cape, or Supreme Kai (my dream project, I have the earrings), or any of the other non-human, non-saiyan characters. Heck, I'd like to see a good Bulma one of these days. I think the blame for lack of quality DBZ cosplay, though, is because the quality cosplayers are anime elitists and look down on DBZ as if it's something common and not worth their time just because it's so universally popular. You know, all those little pre-teen boys like it, therefore it's SO beneath them. :rolleyes: It's not that there's no challenge or detail in it, you just have to look hard for it.

That, and apart from Bulma, there aren't any sexy female costumes showing lots of cleavage that they can do. :razz: 18 and Chi-Chi are usually pretty conservatively-dressed. It seems to me just from a handful of sites devoted to con pictures that girls in cute dresses get the most attention. Sigh.

Maryssa
06-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Well chino, let's see you make a golden super saiya-jin wig before you dis everyone else. Wow, you can spike your already black hair straight up, what skills. I don't like your attitude with your posts here, so please try to be a little more aware of other people's opinions and stop calling other people bad cosplayers with no good reasons.

Chino-San
06-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Doing a random saiyan would be awesome i would love to see that! I do not know why they shun the animes in which made them into anime fans. They should be grateful! Piccallo would be pretty hard to pull off. I mean if someone can do a awesome piccolo without the mask then I will give him allot of credit for that.

Chino-San
06-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
Well chino, let's see you make a golden super saiya-jin wig before you dis everyone else. Wow, you can spike your already black hair straight up, what skills. I don't like your attitude with your posts here, so please try to be a little more aware of other people's opinions and stop calling other people bad cosplayers with no good reasons.

I am sorry if I do offend anyone. But I really do not mean to call anyone a bad cosplayer. I am just pointing out the flaws dbz cosplaying in general. I am sorry to all if I do offend anyone. And if it helps I will try to spike up a saiyan style. Please do forgive me for acting like a jerk. I am just expressing my opinion. But I do offend anyone I am deeply sorry for my actions.

BTW thank you Maryssa for pointing that out to me ^_^ *huggles*

CapsuleCorp
06-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Well, I am going to do Dende for DragonCon, that's one step toward Piccolo. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Chino-San
06-02-2003, 07:58 PM
I wonder how can people make the green skin affect? I really would like to see this costume so please keep me posted.

CapsuleCorp
06-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Well, I'm going to do the arms/body a certain way that I don't want to spill just yet, it's a secret. ;) But the face, etc, easy! I'm going to get a bald cap and elf ear-tips, paint them green, and cover the rest with green theatrical makeup. I have a nice setup for makeup already thanks to my Star Wars costuming, I know what I'm doing. And I'm going to get teeth, too. The only thing I'm iffy on yet is the antennae, but I think I'm going to worry about that last. Everything else comes first.

Chino-San
06-02-2003, 08:06 PM
OMG just by hearing you speak about it sounds awesome. Please be in my group!

number18
06-02-2003, 09:33 PM
As for the green Piccolo skin, I saw a girl's cosplay on this site of an original character and I believe she used liquid latex for the skin. I also believe that Ashley Rice (a cosplayer on the forum) used green liquid latex on her hands for her Vampire Hunter D cosplay (of the tree demon thingy lady...dryad?). In high school, when I first wore my crappy #18 costume for the first time, my somewhat-friend and fellow DBZ fan (we had our own little DBZ club, called DBZ club cause they wouldnt let us have a straight-up anime club for some reason) made a Piccolo costume and it was AWESOME. Like...it was REALLY good. He used basic body paint, I guess. He painted himself green, had the pink parts on his arm, with the lines, had the actual outfit done pretty damn good (no heavy armor but really well worked cloth), the turban, the pointed ears, and he even had pointed press-on nails for his claws! It was soooo badass. When we went on stage for hte Halloween show, only he got recognized though cause the Cyborg/Cell saga wasn't dubbed yet.

ANYHOOT, yes I have a feeling a lot of the more experienced cosplayers, I guess, don't think DBZ is any good, for similar reasons you mentioned, CapsuleCorp. The whole thing about there not being any outright pretty female characters is another thing. They really aren't that pretty the way they're drawn and all, but =shrug=. I mean, I said it before, Number 18 is described as a pretty/cute girl when Trunks describes her, but she doesn't really look it. People are entitled to their opinions though, and like I said previously, most experienced cosplayers seem to like doing challenging costumes, and the DBZ ones aren't that detailed, really, compared to a Final Fantasy costume or something.

Maryssa, you're pretty damn rude sometimes for a moderator. No need for the put-downs... :rolleyes:

Anyways, yeah, in the Bardock special, not only is there the short-haired female saiyan, Celipa (who I'm now considering cosplaying for no good reason), in his team, but there is a saiyan woman in the background (when Bardock tries to tell them Freeza's true plan) with like, curlyish, turquoise hair. Apparently the women might be a little different in regards to hair textures?

Heh, I've thought about Saiyan hair for quite some time, actually. If you REALLY think about it and think about the hair textures humans have, saiyan hair must be REALLY nappy/wirey for it to stick up like that with no styling. And they must not have too many strands of hair either. I mean, the individual strands must be really thick if they were going to have the right physical structure to stand up like wire. I bet, if someone was willing to put in the time, that they could hand-make a saiyan wig out of actual wire or something. I dunno. There just has to be a way to make perfect saiyan hair.

And that ends my rantingness for now. Btw, there is a sweet Kaioh shin cosplayer in my AB03 gallery. ^_^ Since people were talking about it all. No purple skin or mohawk, but that's understandable. It was a totally sweet outfit.

Maryssa
06-02-2003, 09:39 PM
I'm firm when I have to be, like when people refuse to listen. Which is often. Plus I was the same way before I was ever a moderator, so I don't really care. He seemed to understand what I was saying, and apologized nicely. So it really is not relevant to you. Back on topic please.

CapsuleCorp
06-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Great pics, number18! I think that guy is more Mystic Gohan than Supreme Kai, but the outfit does look pretty cool. (It's the sash that's a giveaway - Kai's sash doesn't fall below the knot in the front, Gohan's and Kibito's do) YOU make an excellent 18. :D

I got a tip from the costume panel at ACen about gravity-defying hair. If you're using a wig, be it synthetic or human hair, screw styling products and just go for shellac or glues. If you're going to turn it into one permanent style, that is. I could see investing in a decent wig and permanently styling in saiyan hair (normal or SSJ). Shellac that sucker up, it won't ever come down! ;) If I go for a Supreme Kai wig in the future, that's what I'm going to have to do.

In order to get more quality DBZ cosplayers, we have to get the experienced folk to see the costumes for what they are, not for what they aren't. So they aren't detailed - that doesn't mean you can't screw it up. We've all seen that personally! Even a "simple" costume has a right way and a wrong way to do it, and it takes someone really into the character and wanting a quality costume to do it right. I mean, I've seen it in all kinds of cosplay now, not just DBZ - details large and small are omitted, and I wonder "Do you even *watch* the anime you're cosplaying?" For example, I've seen all of maybe two episodes of Cowboy Bebop, yet even I was able to notice the difference between well-done Spike Spegels and poorly-done ones. The good ones had every detail right, down to the two blue bars on the front of Spike's jacket. How could anyone miss them, they're obvious! But some people did! There are details like that on DBZ costumes of all kinds, such that any cosplayer wanting a challenge could spend a little time researching and end up with a costume that looks so much better than all the others out there. What I always tell people when I run costume panels at DragonCon and stuff is this: it's not about how complicated the costume is, it's whether you cared enough to look at the details and get those right. It's not about how much you spend on the fabric or how many hours it takes to put the thing together, it's about whether you put in the research to get a costume that looks like it walked off the screen or the page.

Chino-san, let me get the costume finished, then you can decide if you want me in any cosplay groups. ;)

Chino-San
06-04-2003, 06:42 PM
You guys really have a good point their. As for the Saiyan hair I think its more like they have too much hair on their scalps. Using glue would most definitely work. I would suggest that myself.
I have but one question. How do people get the Z boots? Their so pointy! How people make those shoes? Or atleast find them?

CapsuleCorp
06-04-2003, 06:55 PM
That's a good question. I got some tips from a Videl cosplayer at ACen I might try out, using the soles taken off bedroom slippers. You'd have to scratch-build them, but they're mostly soft boots, so stitching a pair can't be too tough.

now, a set of leather boots like Vegeta's...that might be tougher.

Chino-San
06-04-2003, 06:58 PM
The saiyan boots are alittle bit harder. The ones I am trying to look for are Great Saiyaman boots. (Why are these z shoes so hard to find or make!)

number18
06-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Well, I've seen people simply make fabric slip-covers for shoes (for other characters) and use elastic at the bottom so the elastic part is on the bottom of your shoe, holding everything in place.

To make the pointy ends usng the slip-cover method, just sew a point and stuff it with some fluff or something. =shrug= Or you could try modifying cowboy boots or some pointed flats (women's shoes with no high heel on it).

As for the guy doing Mystic Gohan...I never thought of that, but when I finally realized who he might be and I blurted out "Kaioh shin" he answered to that...so I'mthinking maybe he is supposed to be the Kaiohshin/Kibito fusion?

-shrug-

CapsuleCorp
06-07-2003, 11:30 PM
I thought of that, too, after I posted. :) Kibitoshin! I like Mystic Gohan's color scheme better, though. I look better in blues.

(btw I finally got that Yami Yuugi site to work for me - OMG!!! I am so impressed! I nearly fell on the floor...holy crap! Now that's what I call a level of quality and accuracy to aspire to...)

ahem, anyway. The thing about shoe covers, I've learned the hard way, is that to keep them from looking stupid, you have to tailor them carefully to fit the shoe's shape. It's a lot of work, more trial and error than anything else. Fortunately, I've gotten around it so far with my Goku gi by making the Dragonball version, when he and Krillin and everybody just wore blue flats. And I happened to have a pair of blue flats in my closet I wasn't wearing. :) But all this talk about the boots makes me want to go to Goodwill, find a pair of house-slippers, and try making some from scratch. Not that I don't already have enough to sew!

Chino-San
06-08-2003, 02:49 AM
BTW Great Saiyaman wears black spandex right? Like Under Armour?

kdthompson
06-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Yes...it's black.

For all the talk of armor earlier in the Thread, here's a great link sent to me by a fellow Legend of Zelda cosplayer:

http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html

It has insturction for making sayain armor. If you want the version with shoulder pads, you can probably figure out how to put them on, but they're not included. *Plans to use them to make herself some sayain armor for a Trunks costume.*

Check out Pikimlink's gallery to see the spectacular job she did on her Fierce Diety Link armor. (search 'Oni Link' if I got the name wrong...)

In responce to all the hair issues that have been posted, here's an answer. For the wig we had made for my little brother's Yugi Moto wig, the hair stylist used 'Bondage' hair glue/gel. I'm not sure of the full name, but I know it had bondage in it. After putting in the stuff, apply heat with a hair dryer until it's hard. Here's the results:

http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/az2003/03/source/az2003-0148.shtml
http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/az2003/03/source/az2003-0149.shtml

(yes, I know I neglected to paint the edges of the wig red, but my lil bro didn't care and I never bought the paint)

Oh, and males, here's a suggestion: If you want to have the smooth, unnoticible look for your crotch area like in the show (so that you're wearing of spandex would end up being a 'tell all' so to speak), You might want to look into buying something called a dance belt. You can acquire it at any dance shop. I remember I was at Otakon 2001 and a Knives cosplayer had neglected to use this little trick and you could see EVERYTHING. And it looked kinda bad too... Just thought I'd share that little bit of knowlegde.

>^.^<

CapsuleCorp
06-08-2003, 07:50 PM
LOL...I know, I'm going to need to instruct the guys in the saiyan armor project about that when we get the Lycra bodysuits done. It'll look fine on me, but on them...yeesh.

That's a really interesting link, the saiyan armor, thanks Dar-Dar. A very simple and quick way of doing it, and having it not turn out crappy. The project I'm involved with is being done by a bunch of uber-hardcore prop enthusiasts, so we're going to end up with sculpted foam latex armor. Much higher-end, and much more expensive. You can't do that in your basement! But I've offered to stitch vinyl saiyan armor to people in the past. I'm not much of a prop builder but I can sew like crazy.

kdthompson
06-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Here's another 'build in your basement' armor method:

1) build the basic shape using cardboard and papermashe

2) put all the finishing details on the armor.

3) BEFORE painting, coat outside of armor with fiber glass ressin. You'll need about 3 - 5 coats for it to be good and sturdy

4) Prime and paint the sucker.

5) Enjoy; you are now ready to take on the world in your new saiyan armor.

This method also works great for props as well.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you want to make a Trunks jacket from scratch and want it to be purple leather but can find/afford it, here's another trick:

1) get industral grade felt, wood glue, and purple paint (I don't remember the exsact time, but I'd think you'd need acrylic for something like this).

2) Mix the wood glue and paint equally.

3) after you've sewn together the jacket out of the felt (or, if you want, do this first and after it dries you can sew it together), put it on a dressmaker's dummy or a form of some kind and paint on the glue/paint mixture until you have the desired leather look you want. It'll end up being really thick when you're done.

4) after it's dry, enjoy.

cutekawaii
06-09-2003, 01:14 AM
ohohoohohohoooo!!! At Dragon*Con 02, there was an AMAZING Goku. Like, I was STUNNED. His gi had the perfect baggyness, the shoes and ankle/wrist bands were correct, his name was embroidered beautifully on the back, and to top it all off, HE USED HIS REAL HAIR AS SUPER SAIYA-JIN HAIR! Omg I flipped. Plus, he was buff, but not too buff, juuuust right. I had a pic of him but all my DC pics got deleted, so yeah, if I find a pic I'll post it. HE ROCKED!

*edit* here is one kinda bad pic. hes on the right.
http://www.scifidimensions.com/Sep02/dc2002/dragonballz.jpg

kdthompson
06-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Oh...I know I missed all the talk of green skin, but I want to update my Piccolo costume. I'll look into the latex and threater make up at some point. Besides, I'll need it for when I make my Zarbon costume. *already has the leg/arm warmers; thinks it's funny that she's had them since kindergarden* But what about antenne? I used pipecleaners the first time and they were ok....do you know where I could possibly get prosthetic ones?

I also haven't seen ears that look like his. I've seen different styles of elf ears but not his weird, chucky ones. Any suggestions?

CapsuleCorp
06-09-2003, 08:21 PM
I'm going with just ear tips for Dende, I've used them often enough for Lord of the Rings stuff that I prefer them to giant ears. I've got a pair of smaller tips for elf ears but I have seen slightly larger tips - I think called "alien" tips, actually - that would work for Nameks. We've got some great theatrical-makeup stores here in town, I love browsing there and letting my mind wander to projects.

The antennae are last on my list of things to worry about. I was thinking about using a lightweight wire, like floral wire, and covering it with the same fabric I'm using for my Namek muscle-shirt, but I don't know how to attach it to the bald cap without doing damage to the cap. I know some prop guys who've worked with gelatin and latex prosthetics, I'll try to get ideas from them. But I'm NOT using makeup for my arms or hands, I have something else up my sleeve. (pun intended)

A Zarbon costume would rock! I always did think he was cool for a bad guy...a bit of a bishy. ;)

cutekawaii - that was the Goku we were talking about earlier! I hope he's there this year. :D Maybe all of us who are going to DragonCon should meet up at some point, especially if we're cosplaying.

kdthompson
06-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks...I think the only thing I'm going to have major issues with is the hair and the ear rings...

I've done enough crossplay to pull off the body (minus some of the muscles ^.^;;)

Maybe I can get some of this Saiyan armor done over the summer...hopefully...*sweatdrop*

CapsuleCorp
06-11-2003, 07:31 PM
I may be able to help you with the earrings - the way they're drawn makes them out to be pretty much identical to the Kai's Fusion earrings, and I've already made several pairs of those (two for myself, sold the rest). Zarbon's are silver, though, I think. I have a pic of him somewhere.

Now, I just have to find some TIME to do all these sewing delusions of grandeur...

number18
06-11-2003, 08:36 PM
lol - sewing delusions of granduer.

Yeah, I am still convinced that I will be making my rpg version of Juuhachi's uniform, along with my boyfriend's rpg uniform to boot...and my boyfriend rp's a saiyan char named Gokou, but much more like Turles or Bardock...his name is Gokou but he's a saiyan emperor....it's a whole other universe from DBZ, I guess...people can't picture a "mean" Gokou if I try to tell it to them in so many words...but yeah

the uniforms are kickass! >D But...beh, pretty complicated for me, who is such a novice...

I would love to see some people cosplay to other Red Ribbon Army jinzouningen...like a 16 or #13 or 14, but those are all kinda big guys and #16's costume is crazy...I would say more complicated than Piccolo or Zarbon.

Zarbon. ;D

CapsuleCorp
06-12-2003, 08:00 PM
I have yet to see the Androids saga, so I can't comment on the do-ability of the costumes. It would be neat to get a whole group together, though! Especially some more bad guys.

I did chat with someone who thought about doing a muscle suit to be Super Buu, but he backed out after he realized the work it would be. I would bow down and worship anyone who could pull that off! It would be so cool!

number18
06-12-2003, 08:08 PM
I've seen a good couple of thin buus. There's a few pics floating around this website, in fact. I think somebody did his costume out of paper mache or something....either way, it was badass. Buu is hard, since he's all shirtless and pink...well, not hard, just ...tricky.

Chino-San
06-13-2003, 09:17 AM
Thank you Dar-Dar your post are very useful to me ^_^. Oh yeah I'm for sure going to wear undies so it doesn't pop out much. Also good thing saiyamans tunic covers his crotch. Resin is a liquid mix right?

CapsuleCorp
06-15-2003, 02:24 PM
I've never worked with resin - like, casting resin? It starts out liquid and has to harden and cure, from what I know. Don't know much about the fiberglass resin Dar-Dar was talking about... I'd guess it's the same principle, though.

The thing we debated long with the saiyan armor project was whether the armor was hard or soft. That's why we went with foam latex in the end - we're told right out during the Namek saga that the armor is flexible, Vegeta has to instruct Krillin and Gohan how to put it on. And considering the types of movements they do while fighting, you'd want it to be flexible! A lot of the guys were talking about vac-forming ABS plastic for hard panels, but then we thought about it and have decided to go with something more flexible and less heavy to have to wear around. I know what stormtroopers deal with going around with armor on all day. ;)

Chino-San
06-16-2003, 02:24 PM
What i don't understand it the whole putting it togeather thing. Like on the site that you guys recently posted it explained how to put the armor on i beleive. But exactly how do you do it. Can someone explain to me what the hell foamies are? I read it on the site and still do no understand it. How did the sheet of styrene didn't pop out. I mean it was only tabled togeather by 2 halfs. I don't understand someone please explain it to me!

CapsuleCorp
06-16-2003, 11:36 PM
I know what Foamies are but it's hard to explain. It's something you find in craft stores, particularly in the aisles with kids' crafts and such. I know I bought some at Hobby Lobby to use for cutting stamps to stamp-paint on fabric. It's basically a little sheet of thin foam, kinda squishy, that you can cut into shapes and do a lot of neat stuff with.

The Videl I met at ACen used foamies for the boot part of her bf Gohan's white Saiyaman boots. I didn't even realize it was foam and not fabric or leather until I touched it.

Chino-San
06-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Any word on the styrene? I am very puzzled on that

number18
06-17-2003, 12:58 PM
Oooh you guys are doing saiyan armor. Are you just doing the vest armor? Because I'm interested in eventually constructing the full she-bang with the shoulder, thigh and crotch guards...since my boyfriend's character wears that. Then again, he told me the other day that his char wears the vest armor and normal jumpsuit when there's no type of ceremony or war-time going on...and I wasl ike huh? I thought he wore the full thing all the time. =shrug= Guess I never paid attention or something.

And hell yeah the armor is flexible....apparently enough that it can grow with a saiyan when he goes oozaru. 0,0!

How flexible is foam latex exactly? I keep picturing it like it will break off like a typical piece of white foam sheet or something. O,o; Could you ever like....make an armor mold to pour in latex? I mean, how expensive is that? Can you melt down latex? Cause if so, you could just buy a bunch of dildoes (LOL!!!) and melt those down if that was cheaper. lol...

kdthompson
06-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Gomen nasai everyone...I've been at a friend's house the last 4 days and I haven't had a chance go check any of my boards. THe 'resin' I'm talking about is a liqued...it's normally used to make car repairs, but I know my mom found it for me at home depot.

The armor I told everyone about is most definately not flexible. So if you want it to be perfectly authentic, that isn't it....however It looks awesome and looks exsactly like the stuff from the show and heck...I'd actually fight in the stuff.

Ano...number18....*giggles* considering dildos generally run from 20ish bucks and up....I personlly don't think it's cheaper...lol...and I heard that liquid latex has a habit of flaking off... I don't know if that's true or not because I've never used the stuff...but that's what I heard...

PS - The styrene...well...On the site that I gave earlier in the thread ....if the problem isn't the fact that you need a curling iron or somehting to form the thing, you don't have the heavy duty claspsm or that you have something to form it around , I don't know...I apologize for not beling able to be more help considering I'm the one that posted the site, but I've never made the stuff...the person that owns the site it a member of cosplay.com and has a thread about armor making somewhere around her....find her or the thread and you should get some major help...

number18
06-17-2003, 08:13 PM
yeah I know dildoes aren't exactly cheap.... :/ oh well. I wasn't really talking about liquid latex though. I meant having enough to pour in a mold, not coat something, really... =rubs chin=

Kortnie Li
06-17-2003, 08:26 PM
I agree...all the cosplayers I've seen doing DBZ aren't the best...no offence, but I tend to like all the piccolo ones! ^_^ Especially the ones who do it perfectly and have the green faces! I saw a couple of those at A-kon! X3

CapsuleCorp
06-17-2003, 11:22 PM
Well, for a good example of foam latex sculpting, think like the Batman movie suits. They're very flexible and very durable. And yeah, once the sculpt is done for the original, the rest are going to be pulled from the mold, apart from adjustments done for size. My female saiyan armor is naturally going to be smaller than the guys.

I think the initial project is going to be Vegeta's final-stage armor, that he wears in the Androids saga, because one of our guys will pass remarkably for Vegeta, and the female armor is pretty much the same as his. But we are eventually going to do all versions, including an option for the complete armor with shoulders, hips, and codpiece. So, your guy could be in luck, 18. ;)

Anyway. I've seen pics of one or two excellent Piccolos complete with armored cape, but never in person. I'll be keeping an eye out for one! And if I learn anything while doing Dende, I'll pass it on to other Namek wannabes.

silent_hippo
06-18-2003, 12:50 AM
4 years ago my first anime costume was from DBZ i was gokou for halloween in the city. I must admit, my costume wasn't the best, i died some O.R. srcubs red/orange and drew the symbol on the back. and just made a belf and arm bands, didn't even make the boots. but i still had fun zooming around.

Kawaii Yuna
06-18-2003, 04:38 PM
I have a DBZ/GT costume in mind for the future (I love DBZ/GT!! It's like an adrenaline rush to watch, especially the battles, lol!) but not really sure who to cosplay as. It's either:

1) Bulma
2) Bra
3) Marron
4) Videl

I donít know who to pick! Itís driving me insane. I totally agree that the difficulty level in making these costumes arenít that hard, but whoever I pick, Iíll definitely stick to details and make it the best I can. Can't wait to see everyones finished costume(s)!! ^_^

CapsuleCorp
06-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Of the females, I'd say Bulma's the coolest to costume - she's got a variety of outfits to pick from and most of them have some pretty rad details. I like her boots. :) But, of course, you should cosplay whoever you want! We'll all have to trade pics when we have them.

silent_hippo - sounds like a great way to get a start into costuming. :) I never rag on anyone for building a costume out of found clothing items. Sometimes that's all you've got handy, and not everyone can scratch-build costumes. But that's only a start. Then you start seeing other people's costumes and trading tips, and next thing you know, you're sucked in for life. ;)

Kawaii Yuna
06-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by CapsuleCorp
Of the females, I'd say Bulma's the coolest to costume - she's got a variety of outfits to pick from and most of them have some pretty rad details. I like her boots. :) But, of course, you should cosplay whoever you want! We'll all have to trade pics when we have them.

I was thinking about it and my decision was more towards Bulma anyway (see sheís on top of the list- itís in most want to cosplay). I want to cosplay her as my first DBZ costume then maybe cosplay the other females. I have to agree w/ you on that! :D Bulma is the coolest to costume and is one of my fav characters next to Trunks *faints by the mention of his name* lol! ^_^ Yeah, I was looking online for some of her outfits for reference and boy oh boy, does she go through a series of different styles with hair do's and clothes. lol! And the bootsÖ I hope I will be able to create something even close. x_x lol!

kdthompson
06-19-2003, 10:21 AM
When I started cosplaying, I promissed myself I wouldn't do any/many females. I suppose it's mostly because I'm too self contious to do most of the costumes out there. However, the DBZ females, for the most part, don't show much skin, so they're all good choices. Personally, Bulma was a very good choice, as is Chichi. Anyone that can make the entire male cast of the show squirm just by pitching a fit I think is worthy to be cosplayed.

*Fans herself at the mention of THE DBZ BISHONEN* Yeah...I admit it....I had a trunks costume. It's one of my worst. I had to pull things out of my closet because I didn't have the connections and knowlegde I do now about cosplay. I hate my costume and love it at the same time. For being made out of printer paper, the patches turned out really well. The probably that the jacket was totally the wrong color (silver) and you couldn't see the purple spray in my hair. My sword was made out of duct tape too...it acted as if it needed viagra or something...*sweatdrop* So I never took it out. I'll see if I can hunt down pics of it....

I still have the jacket hanging in my closet with the patches on. I don't have the heart to take them off. ^.^;;

Kawaii Yuna
06-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Aww, that's very sweet Dar-Dar cause I was thinking of doing a cross-play of Trunks myself. I really want to make Trunks CapsuleCorp jacket. I would wear it everyday! lol! I was wondering what is the real color of it: blue or purple? I read the other post and you guys said that the jacket is purple but I've seen and have pics of Trunks where the jacket is blue in a lot of them. I wanna do this jacket right, all for Trunks!! ~_^ lol! I wanna see pics though Dar-Dar! I bet it's a cute jacket! ^_^

Yeah, ChiChi is really cool! Her temper and attitude can put those Z-fighters in their place. lol! I may have one of my friends cosplay as ChiChi and I be Bulma. That should be fun! Now all I need is a Vegeta and Goku. lol! ;)

Hotaru
06-19-2003, 11:59 AM
at otakon, i went as videl and was hardly recognized :-/ but the boots my sis and bf made were so awesome. we bought a pair of black shoes at k-mart, and got green fabric, and we had this..like leathery type material for the toes and the heel. i'll take a pic of them one day, but here's the best pic i have on me costume. i'm in the middle:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=29259

Kawaii Yuna
06-19-2003, 12:07 PM
Very cute costume Hotaru! You make a great Videl! Those boots look so good! ^_^

number18
06-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Whoa, those boots do look pretty sweet.

And yes, Capsule Corp! The batman movie suit thing definitely seems to be the way to go. Can you make such things for cheap or what?

Capsule Corp is sweet. Christ, there is a Japanese site ( http://www.geestore.com ) selling new DBZ shirts with the Capsule Corp logo alllllll over them. I wish they had shirts like that available here, instead of just shirts with Goku and the rest all over them. :/

Oh, and I'm surprised I didn't post this link earlier about making saiyan vest armor - http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_saiyan.html

Good stuff, but like I mentioend earlier, I'm lookin to make the whole thing...

Kawaii Yuna
06-19-2003, 12:20 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Number 18 that armor looks 110% WONDERFUL!!
I love it! Sorry, just after looking at those pics made me all excited and now I wanna do some type of Trunks cosplay. lol!! ~_~

kdthompson
06-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Heh...I posted that link earlier in the thread, but it wasn't a direct link to the saiyan armor, so if someone wanted to do modifications for the shoulder and crotch pieces they could.

Here's the HORRIBLE trunks costume.

http://www.fansview.com/2001/otakon/0810a006.jpg

here's my younger bro as Gohan (the best of all), and my little cousin as Kuririn (pardon her, she didn't wanna loose her hair and my brother refused to be kuririn) along with myself.

http://www.fansview.com/2001/otakon/0810a008.jpg

CapsuleCorp
06-19-2003, 08:19 PM
That's not too bad - the jacket looks to have turned out very well despite being the wrong color. It looks neat. :)

Ahhhhhhh DBZ bishonen....now I know I'm in the right company. :D I haven't actually seen the Trunks saga (or Androids or Cell) so I did my jacket from pictures. Every pic I have, be it a screencap or a publicity picture/sticker, the jacket is purple. My only question was if it was light purple or dark purple, that differs from pic to pic. I think the purple twill I found is the perfect color, now that I look at it. I'd be happy to share tips if anyone's up for making one.

Wow, there's been a lot of movement on this thread today, let's see what else I can talk about...

Very nice pics, Hotaru and Dar-Dar. :) I think we females shouldn't be afraid of crossplay, though - apart from the infamous Goku at DragonCon, I haven't seen enough hottie males cosplaying the DBZ bishies. ;) Somebody's gotta do it right! That's why I've never had the desire to be Bulma, Chi-Chi, or Videl...but I MAY try Chi-Chi if I run through my whole list of want-to-make and need something new. (let's find us a Vegeta and Goku and go as a group, Kawaii Yuna!)

number18
06-19-2003, 08:42 PM
Yeah, that saiyan armor link....it's good stuff. :D

Anyhoot, for the pants in #18's outfit that I'm making (the "ChiChi" - the one she steals from ChiChi's closet)...in some pictures she has very tealish green pants. In some pics, theyre more dark tealish green....and some pics they're plain bluejeans! So I figure my best bet is to buy some light colored bluejeans and just dye them green/teal to get the right in-between. Doing the same with a Trunks jacket seems to be a good idea, in my mind that is.

Your little brother's Gohan costume is sweet, Dar-dar!

As for us chicks crossplaying, I've thought of doing #17...I mean, the outfit would be easy...but I have a dislike of his character from rpg experiences, which is weird, I know...but uh...yeah. And again, doing Vejita would be mad cool.

So Capsule Corp, do you know anything about being able to make the Batman-type latex/rubber suit thingy at home? Can it be done or do you need like a lab or some crap like that...?

Hotaru
06-20-2003, 10:25 AM
aha, i've uploaded a closer pic of my videl costume. no boots in this one, but the hair and patch things are there. don't mind the serious expression on me face:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=50255&papass=&sort=2&thecat=500

kdthompson
06-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Hotaru, you look great. The fact that you paid attention to all the minor details is a plus.

Capsule Corps, I love crossplay, and when it comes to cosplay in general, it's mostly all I do! It wasn't until resently that I started finding girls that I liked. And as to cosplay pics, go to the pictures from animazement 2003, there was a DBZ group there that looked good; they even had a fat buu. *hates she didn't get a pic of them*

Ano...And thanks 18, All I did was take part of my piccolo costume and add the hair. The hair I know is the evil foam monster made using the basic crown design, but I had no money at the time and yeah. Not to fear, I will eventually get around to better cosplay of dbz charas. If I get time over the summer, I *will* make either my Zarbon costume or my Trunks in sayain armor costume. I alos remember that a friend of mine wanted to be Jace, but she doesn't want to be orange. I'm trying to convence mango otherwise, espeically since that's what I like most about him.

I actually have to admit though, part of the reason I was so hesitant to do dbz cosplay is because I perfer to have a group. When I cosplayed as piccolo by myself, it was kind of a drag, and ever since I've been cosplaying as a group with my friends I've always had more fun. I know, that's not a good reason to wuss out, but it's the only reason I have...T.T

CapsuleCorp
06-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Ahhhhhh nothing like talking DBZ costumes while watching DBZ. :) ROTFL at Goku...

Originally posted by number18
So Capsule Corp, do you know anything about being able to make the Batman-type latex/rubber suit thingy at home? Can it be done or do you need like a lab or some crap like that...?

Personally, no I don't. We're undertaking the saiyan armor project as a group, and there's one guy among us who does this sort of foam casting on a regular basis who will be doing the actual construction of the suits (as well as the sculpting). He just showed us pics of his Destro from G.I. Joe and WHOA! The rest of us have other duties - mostly research right now, since the project won't get underway until November. I will be in charge of sewing the bodysuits eventually. I think it's the sort of thing you need a workshop to do it in...I certainly couldn't do it in my apartment. I don't know what kind of setup Dave has, though. I can always ask him. :)

If I get impatient and don't have a big commission docket this fall, I may try doing a set of Vegeta armor out of vinyl, just to see if it can be done. The foam latex stuff is going to be mondo expensive compared to what most people spend on costumes - I get a deal because I'm trading out my work on the bodysuits.

Anyway. On the subject of crossplay - that's pretty much all I do, also, Dar-Dar. Of some seven or eight costumes I have/will have, only two are female characters: Nini from Moulin Rouge and Jedi Master Luminara Unduli. I prefer crossplay maybe because I identify more with male characters (and some fandoms have sucky female characters), or maybe because they're always my favorites and I feel I can be closer to them by dressing as them. Granted, it doesn't get me a load of cosplay pictures taken like the girls in skimpy outfits, but hey.

I'm not afraid to cosplay solo, because something lucky usually happens - like falling in with a YuYu Hakusho group at ACen who had no Hiei while I was dressed as Hiei. I was Goku also, and fell in with Vegeta, Gohan, and Videl by chance. Gave me a chance to meet some great folks. But the nice thing about forums like cosplay.com is, we get to meet each other and get to know each other, so that if we all end up at a con together at the same time, we have a ready-made source of group cosplay! :D

Kawaii Yuna
06-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Dar-Dar those costumes look so cute! Great job on them! The jacket looks really good, now I want one. lol! ^_^

*(let's find us a Vegeta and Goku and go as a group, Kawaii Yuna!)*-CapsuleCorp
That would be so much fun!! We can put together a future DBZ group! Let me hold some auditions for a Vegeta and Goku. LOL!! ;)

Number 18 crossplaying as Vegeta would be so cool! You can be the "bad man" and act as arrogant, mean, and anything else that ticks people off about him. lol! That would be very exciting! lol! ~_^

Chino-San
06-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Ahh! I am up for Vegeta! I can send you a pic of me as Vegeta! *jumps up and down*

Chun Li
06-24-2003, 06:51 PM
The few DBZ costumes i have seen where done by Little Kids, So if they made them themselfs i will be shocked no matter how bad they look.

CapsuleCorp
06-24-2003, 06:56 PM
That's the sort of stereotype I'd like to put down by cosplaying DBZ a lot - show the general cosplaying public that it's not just for little kids. Like Harry Potter. :) But yeah - kids who cosplay should be encouraged no matter how the costume turns out, if they put their hearts into it.

I thought you were keen on Gohan, Chino-San! :) We'll take a look at all pics in our search for Vegeta and Goku, don't you worry.

Oh, and somewhat off topic, but I thought you guys might like to know. If you're a fan of 18 and/or the American score to DBZ, go to www.faulconer.com and check out the vocal track for "Android 18," by Bruce Faulconer and Meredith McCoy. It's very cool. :D Bruce was at ACen and did a sneak peek and I've been salivating the past few weeks waiting for it to be released - and now that the CD is in my hands I've been playing it incessently. ;)

Chino-San
06-24-2003, 07:39 PM
After Gohan. Because For DBZ I can do any super saiyan hair. If we are gonna do a cosplay group what con eh?

CapsuleCorp
06-24-2003, 10:25 PM
Hmm, I hadn't really thought of that. The economy's hit my workplace bad so I can't really afford any more this year that I haven't already planned for (CONvergence, DragonCon, maybe Wizard World, and maybe Kazecon), but we'll see about next year. I have a very strong feeling I may be doing a bunch of anime cons next year. :) 'sides, my Dende won't be done till DragonCon and the saiyan armor is a winter project so we'll debut it next year.

Man, I love cosplay. :D

Kawaii Yuna
06-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Chino-San
Ahh! I am up for Vegeta! I can send you a pic of me as Vegeta! *jumps up and down*

lol!Okie dokie! Lemme see a pic! Ur the first audition contestant for Vegeta. lol! ^_^

For which con? *shrugs* Don't know yet. But this will be for the future though. I have so many freakin costumes in mind, I think my head is going to explode. lol! x_x I live in NY so we can plan something maybe for 2004 or 2005. Who knows... lol! :)

Yep! Cosplay is some good stuff! ;)

Chino-San
06-25-2003, 01:19 AM
My pic is in my cosplay.com gallery. That is Gohan but if it flap my middle strand of hair up then i'll look like vejita's

number18
06-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Hmm. I checked out the cd track samples for the "android" 18 thing. I dunno if I really like it. I don't really like much of the American music in the first place, especially what they do for the movies. I hate the hard rock/metal sound they go for. And I think this quote makes no sense either...

"Goku is like this rock guy. Trunks is from the future so he's techno. Cell starts off being this little thing almost like a slug and he grows, absorbs people and gets stronger - his music started out imperfect like grunge sounds and later he became perfect and his music got cleaner."

Goku is like...this rock guy? :/ Whatever. I guess I will buy the "android" 18 CD anyway, though...just cause I am the jinzouningen's number one fans. lol...

And I'm trying to go to AnimeNEXT - we're gonna have a DBZ cosplay group there. Go check out the thread in the convention forums.

And one last thing. "Android" 18 is not an android. To prove my point, check this out:
Cyborg or Android? Common Misconceptions (http://cgi.cyborgmemoirs.com/misconceptions.shtml)

k, I'm done.

CapsuleCorp
06-25-2003, 07:05 PM
AnimeNEXT? Will keep an eye on it.

I think you'll at least enjoy the CD, number18 - I wish Bruce had put the lyrics in the liner notes but he didn't, you have to pick them up by listening. It's all about 18's love/hate dichotomy toward Krillin, how she loves him and yet (at least during the Androids saga) could kill him at any moment. Very dark, I love it. :D

number18
06-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Nice... =grins= I couldn't hear what she was saying at all...it sounded just like she was singing but not saying anything in particular. But that's cool. And is more interesting than "don't touch...touch me! Dangerous love is real love!" <-the other #18 song...

kdthompson
06-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Whoa...I'm gone a week and I manage to miss so much...I've been spending the past week at a friend's house and her net was down most of the time.

Kuso...I hate I had to put off my Cell Tournament Trunks and Zarbon costumes because of the two costumes I'm putting together for Metro con July 18 - 20

Does anyone know where I can possibly go buy the saiyan plastic for the armor real cheep? I'm using Amethyst Angel's method....

CapsuleCorp
06-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Not sure. Let me see if the prop guys know anything - they're always using plastic.

Bummer about having to put off some of the costumes! But, hey, we all have that happen. It's tough when you have so many ideas and so little time with con deadlines screaming at you. On the plus side, it means you have a lot to look forward to later on. :) Especially if the bunch of us can plan to get together at the same con someday...

Chino-San
07-02-2003, 12:50 AM
Well dar dar metrocon is closing in. I am in FL as well so thats cool are you going to be at AFO? Cheap and Time for cosplaying aren't a good mix. Think of this

In cosplaying you have 3 things Fast, Cheap, and Good. Out of those 3 you can only pick 2. Example: If you want it fast and cheap it isn't going to be good. If yu want it cheap and good it won't be fast.

kdthompson
07-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Chino-san, that quote is my motto when it comes to cosplay. Of the two I generally try and go for cheep and good unless I'm in a time crunch. My duo costume is going to have the Cheep and fast combination because I'm only doing it for this con and it's a costume I can do alot of closet digging on. Thankfully, if this new job of mine works out, I can go for the Fast and Good combo soon because I'll have the money to spare.

Sadly, I won't be at AFO; the only reason I'm going to metro con is because it coinsides with my family's summer vacation plans. However, if I can finish my Duo and Cloud costumes with enough time left over before metro con, I might see what I can do about having Cell Saga Trunks there too for sunday. I might have to use posterboard instead of the plastic, but I'll do my best all the same. However, finishing Cloud is a requirement though because I've worked so hard on that costume, espeically the buster sword that I plan to enter in the cosplay so I can show it off. (dang their weapons policy!)

And yes, one day we must figure out a con to meet eachother at so we can compare and discuss our love of DBZ and cosplay. Things like that shouldn't be missed.

CapsuleCorp
07-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Well, you Florida folks might be close enough to swing DragonCon in Atlanta over Labor Day...but it is getting to the expensive point because it's a HUGE con.

I just hope that hottie Goku is there again. ;)

kdthompson
07-04-2003, 11:47 AM
*sighs wistfully* Atlanta...that's way too far away for me. I'm stuck in north carolina and there's only 2 cons close to me: Animazement and NekoCon.

like I said earlier, it's a bit of a luxery that I get to go to Metrocon. Ah well, one can dream, ne?

And as to the status of costume, I doubt I'll finish Trunks before the con, even in a rush. The blue lycra body suit would prove to be difficult on such short notice. I dunno, maybe afterwards. *shrugs*

And while I'm at it...

Happy 4th of July everyone. :cheers: May no evil alien races randomly deside to blow up your white house. ^.^;; :thumbsup:

HitenMitsurugi
07-06-2003, 11:15 AM
I made a real easy trunks from History of Trunks and wore it to school, I got a lot of feedback. It was quite easy, I made the shirt, used grey sweatpants, and made the blue boots from some cloth and leather, If you want to know how just email, IM or PM me!

kdthompson
07-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks but no thainks. It's not the same Trunks costume I'm going for. I'll trying to do the one from Cell Saga with the armor.

CapsuleCorp
07-07-2003, 09:03 PM
mmm armor. :) Good luck, Dar-Dar! You know we'll all want to see it.

Man, DragonCon looks a lot closer from this side of 4th of July. I've got the Dende pants and sash done, I'll probably do the robe this week. If I can get assistance from a friend with a digicam, I'll post progress pics, otherwise you'll have to wait till DragonCon to see.

kdthompson
07-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks. I'll happily post pictures the moment both costumes are done.

Oh, and out of curiosity, Capsule Corp, Didja happen to get that info on the places to get cheep plastic?

Edit: Oh...and I just remembered as I was drooling over various wigs that I want for different characters, I saw wigs for Super Saiyan Goku, SSJ 3 Goku, and Vegeta at: Katie Bair's Art Emporium - Frequently Requested Character wigs (http://www.katiebair.com/wigfrc.html) .

If you're willing to spend a pretty penny of more, check out the page. There's no such thing as cheep. If this job I just got pans out the way I want it to, hopefully I can buy the 2 -7 wigs I want before I'm old and gray.

and just to have an Idea of the prices, I'll give you a worse case cinareo:

"Super Saiyan Level 3 Goku (Dragon Ball Z)"

Base Materials:
Long Length Wig
Foamcore
Extensions x4
Styrofoam Wig Form
MicroMesh Wig Cap

Base Materials Cost $91 -Refundable-
Packaging & Shipping $24 -Refundable-

Styling Fee (Insane) -Not Refundable-

Grand Total -E-mail me for an estimate-

(Personally, my guess is it's close to a $200 wig. The Zarbon wig, thankfully, is nothing that complicated)

And for the Trunks and other non-crazy-haired characters of the show, here's a place for non-styled wigs:

http://www.amphigory.com/

For Trunks, I hope to get their "Femme Fetal" wig in "Femme (light purple)" Which comes to a grand total of $36

But if I can find a straight one without precut bangs, I'll be more than happy to get it if it's cheeper.

CapsuleCorp
07-08-2003, 08:40 PM
*hack* *cough* $91 for just the unstyled SS3 wig? OMG! Foam doesn't look so bad after all. :)

I haven't had any luck on the plastic sources, Dar-Dar. I'll ask some guys in person this weekend, there's a prop party in Chicago and I know I can bend a lot of ears after they've had a few drinks. ;) Let me put that on my list of things to do at the party right after "take measurements for that guy who wants his costume by DragonCon." *sigh* Men!

Oh! And I should have pics of my Chibi Goku costume in my gallery this evening, some friends finally took good quality pics this weekend for me!

kdthompson
07-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Yatta on the Pics....I look forward to looking at them.

And thanks again Capsule Corp for the plastic info. Until I get paid, I have to limit my costume funds. That is why I asked.

Yeah...guys can be horrible. A month ago my lil brother's like, "I wanna go to MetroCon as Wakka!" I quickly talked him into being the Kingdom Hearts version so I'd have less work to do, and now, he wants my mom to finish his Vash coat before the con. Sheesh! That's not exsactly the easiest coat to put together...she nearly burned the thing 2 years ago when she started making it because it was giving her so much headache.

But hey, if I can figure out all the odd armor stuff with my Cloud costume, then I'll know what I need to do for the Trunks costume. *sighs* I wish time didn't hate me so much...

CapsuleCorp
07-09-2003, 08:29 PM
There really ought to be an additional six hours in the day or something. I wish I hadn't blown out my knee Sunday night or I'd be crawling around on the floor working on costumes...

Pics are finally up, just click on my "gallery" button. Dratted server went down last night when I tried to upload. Sheesh. All good now!

kdthompson
07-10-2003, 12:52 AM
Yeah...I remember when the server went out last nigh...it was a huge mess! I couldn't do anything...and at the time I was in the middle of posting things as well as sending links of me in my Duo Maxwell costume...

Yes...Another 6 hours would be really really good. Espeically at night so I can sleep and work more freely

CapsuleCorp
07-13-2003, 01:29 PM
As for the plastic issue, the guys suggested looking locally, like in the yellow pages for a plastics dealer. That's how friends around me found a source for sintra in town. Online buying can be done but the shipping will sock your wallet. I forget the name of the place the one said they all went to in Chicago...I don't know Chicago very well. *shrug*

But I do now have one of them interested in being Piccolo. And man, he'd pull it off right. He has a Blade costume and looks better than Wesley Snipes in it...

kdthompson
07-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Ooo! *drools* Blade...love blade...*has wanted that costume forever and a day* I wanna see!!

Can you keep a secert? Piccolo was probably my first anime crush! *dies of embarassment* So if he ever gets it done I REALLY wanna see!

Oh God...*panic* 2 days till Metrocon *panics* My Cloud costume isn't done yet!! *cries*

Thanks CapsuleCorps. I'll check the yellow pages for the plastic.

For the metal cloud wrist thing I had to make, I tried cutting up a plastic soda bottle. when the hot glue hit it, it melted the plastic and made it hard to work with. Note to everyone: if you're going to do something like I did with a soda bottle, just sewing on the foam with fishing line or clear thread will work perfectly fine, but make sure not to tear the foam with the line being too taught. However, after you get the foam onto the plastic you can easily hot glue foam to foam and sew it to reinforce it.

Well at least now I know for when and if I get around to making the star chip gloves for my brother's Yugi costume or anything else for that matter... ^.^;;

number18
07-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Nothing wrong with a crush on Piccolo. :D He IS a sexy, sexy man. Especially during the Cyborg/Cell saga....ESPECIALLY when he just fekkin smacked Cell's makkankosappo away. =girlish squeal=

Course, myself...I've always had a crush on Vejita. u.u;

kdthompson
07-16-2003, 01:47 PM
I only wish Piccolo was still voiced my Scott McNeil *sighs dreamily at the mention of her favorite American voice actor* ...I remember crying when Cell 'killed' him...and cursing Cell out. You should have seen the look on all my friends' faces when they saw me doing that. I nearly died of embarassment shortly there after...

Hmm...I'd like Vegeta if he wasn't so...stuck up. He makes me laugh though, and I always find the odd rivalry between him and Piccolo amusing...^.^

MetroCon Costume Update: my little brother's Wakka costume is complete, and I'd done with the shoulder armor on Cloud. Now, I simply have to sew the belt and suspender thingies together and make the belt buckle...We leave for Tampa tomorrow afternoon...I hope I don't die...then I'll never get to make my Zarbon and Trunks costumes *sobs*

Having to do all this cosutme work by my self has really taught me a lot. Not only have I learned to used most of the features on the family sewing machine but I'm learning to make armor as well. Now I'll be all the better prepared for the DBZ costumes I plan to make...

Mephistopheles
07-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Wow, nobody's mentioned Tien in this entire thread. I did Tien last year for Otakon 2k2, and received a compliment from just about everybody that took my picture, and it was a good many people. It's just too darned bad nobody's felt the need to post them online at all. I didn't get any pictures of myself in the costume (chalk it up to my lack of self-confidence), so I didn't have any of my own. I'm going on vacation next week, and when I get back I might have to throw the costume on once for a few pics and I'll post them. With the exception of the boots, I think I had the costume down pat. I'm actually shooting for Tien's Crane Master outfit for next Otakon...though I'll be costume-less for the one next month.

kdthompson
07-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Whoa...cool... I've never seen a Tienshinhan in cosplay before

I look forward to seeing pictures.

CapsuleCorp
07-16-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi Mephistopheles! I was going to suggest you wander over to this thread. ;) I totally want to see pics of the costume, and I was very impressed when you said it was the Buu saga blue tunic with the cape. I love that outfit! *bounce* I hope you're encouraged enough by all our drooling to put the costume on and get some pics. :D

Dar-Dar, sounds like you're picking up some neat skills. i'm going to have to pick your brain about some of them, especially if we're talking dueling gloves from Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm going to be doing Yugi's blue "bondage" vest this fall and wanted the glove too...

Character crushes? Would you believe I'm a Krillin girl? :D I adore him, he's my absolute favorite...although I will confess that Vegeta has definitely grown on me, and Supreme Kai is pretty sexy too. ;) Though, I wouldn't kick Goku out of bed for eating crackers... (and he probably WOULD, too)

ooo costume update myself! I finished Dende!!! In like a weekend, too. The robe with cowl and the vest were the last bits, and I finished it yesterday. Now I just have to take care of my Namek transformation bits and it'll be set to go for DragonCon. If I can, I'll hijack a digicam and get a pic of the costume sans Namekian traits just to show off.

have fun at Metrocon, Dar-Dar! Stay safe, and take lots of pics. I'm sure you'll survive to become Zarbon!

kdthompson
07-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Thanks, and I'm more than happy to share what I've figured out. PM me if you'd like detailed instructions on the star chip glove. (just make it sometime tonight though because I won't beable to answer tomorrow *is leaving tomorrow*)

Congradulations on Dende! *loves him to death* I look forward to seeing that costume.

I'll make sure to have a good time. You do the same at DragonCon (incase I don't get to tell you then)!

number18
07-17-2003, 08:42 AM
=grin= Ahh yes, I too have always loved the rivalry between Piccolo and Vejita. So cute in ways.

Reasons I like Vejita though, include the fact that he paired with Bulma (love fanfics about them, especially the Saiyajin fic which is no longer on the net, though I have it saved on my comp). The fact he is always struggling to be the best. He cries. He feels. I dunno...he just emotes more than it seems Goku does. =shrug=

And Tien is also the man. I have love for all the human Z fighters. :D Tien is a badass. But there's that argument about who is stronger, him or Krillin.

kdthompson
07-17-2003, 01:52 PM
I must say...there really is no way of telling is there? The two of them along with Yancha seem to level off at a point unlike the sayians, which makes me me sad...The human Z senchi are awesome!

Mephistopheles
07-17-2003, 05:06 PM
I'm tempted to say, and this isn't influenced by my personal preference, that Tien would be the strongest in the end. When DBZ ends both Yamcha and Krillin have stopped fighting, but Tien continued to train. Granted, he wasn't part of the series, but they certainly give the impression that he never gave up fighting. Even if they'd leveled off earlier on, Tien's constant dedication to training would have given him an edge over the rest. That's just my theory though.

CapsuleCorp
07-17-2003, 07:40 PM
LOL and here I was going to chime in on Krillin's side. :) He surpassed Tien early on, but maybe Tien caught up when Krillin decided to retire from fighting and settle down. Dunno. *shrug* They're both awesome, though.

And thanks Dar-Dar! I'll get back to you on the dueling glove later, I've got enough on my plate at the moment without starting another thing. I already wasted an entire day yesterday on a Hiei tunic that turned out to be crap, I'm going to have to start from scratch.

number18
07-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Yeah. I think I read somewhere that Krillin was the strongest human. But you're right about Tien training...maybe Juuhachi and Krillin trained too...hopeful me. lol...

Why did she stop being a badass?@??!@!

CapsuleCorp
07-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Babies will do that to you. ;)

Mishima
07-19-2003, 04:49 AM
I will be Cosplaying Mirai no Torankusu(Future Trunks) at Otakon this year. It will be the one from the pic in my sig. If my memory is right, that is him from the Broly movie. Long hair and Capsule Corp. jacket.

I picked this one because the release date of the Broly movie is very close to Otakon this year. But, sadly it will not be released until after the con. Because of this, I droped the sword from the outfit, seeing as how Torankusu did not have his sword in that movie.
Im not sure where you are all geting the idea that his jacket is purple ether. As far as I can tell and what is stated in the manga (I don't think it was in the english dub), his jacket IS blue. For the record his hair is not purple but lavander. Vegeta's hair is also BROWN. Look at the highlights sometimes in his hair. There are hints of brown in there, and I belive somewhere in the Saiya-Jin saga there is an ep. of Vegeta and Nappa on another planet where the light hits it just right and all of his hair is brown.....for whatever reason that is. Maybe they just goofed in the coloring that day.

number18
07-19-2003, 12:41 PM
<3s to you, Mishima. ^___^

Yes, Trunks' hair is lavendar and Vejita's hair is brown. I knew that, too, somehow...and it's nice to see another obsessive character fan. <3!

I so wish I could go to Otakon this year :( It needs some #18 representation...of the hardcore, obsessed fan variety...

CapsuleCorp
07-19-2003, 11:20 PM
I dunno, every pic I have of Trunks, that jacket is purple, usually glaringly so. I chose to do it in a lighter purple, not so vivid, that matches a color sample I took using a jpg of a cel and Photoshop. It's purple, not blue, there. I'm staring at another pic right next to me on a sticker and it's quite purple, no mistaking. So, if the manga says it's blue, that obviously wasn't communicated to the artists.

'sides, "blue" can be many things, but most people interpret it as denim. And that just looks so wrong to me. If you could find a more vivid blue, perhaps a periwinkle or cornflower shade, I could see that turned into the Capsule Corp jacket easily. As long as it wasn't stonewashed denim. ;)

I too am lamenting my lack of cash and vacation days to go to Otakon this year. I'm definitely going to do it next year, though - I go up to 3 weeks of vacation time for the year! Take lots of pics for us, Mishima, and seek out more DBZ cosplayers! :)

Mishima
07-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Gah, I still say it's some form of blue. I always belived it to be and it was writen that it was blue. -shurgs- oh well. Long as someone gets the general idea on the subject while cosplaying I wouldnt make it an issue ^.^

I should take lots of pics while up there. Not just of dbz cosplay but everyone pretty much. Long as I don't get chased around by some Android chases me around or something. lol

and... YAY! <3 to number 18 as well. To bad you can't make it. I took a look at your 18 pics. They all looked pretty good. I saw like maybe two Android 18s last year at Otakon, but I wasn't looking that hard nether. Last year I saw...Android 18, Super Android 14, Krillin,Tien,Super Saiyan 4 Goku ( done really well mind you), The Great Saiya-Man with Videl....and I think that was about it.

number18
07-21-2003, 10:13 AM
You two are neglecting one color. ^_^ Indigo. You both remember the colors of the rainbow don't you! If anything, I guess I would say that his jacket is probably an indigo shade. Then again, like a couple DBZ outfits, the colors seem to want to vary, like Cyborg 18's pants that she steals from ChiChi's closet. Sometimes they're green....sometimes they're like a turquoise...and a couple times, they're outright denim pants! >.<!!!

And Mishima, do you mean Super Android 13 (since there is no "super" 14)? And if you DID see a Super Juusan-gou....HOLY HELL?!@?!!!! I've NEVER seen a 13gou cosplayer!!! And my friend would LOVE to see #13....you must find pictures for me!

I almost wish there could be some strange DBZ cosplay event like there was the Final Fantasy Ball or whatever...but of course there would be people that couldn't attend it. Maybe we can push for something at next year's Otakon or something like that ...eh? I dunno what kind of event though...a ball doesn't seem to fit DBZ...and a fighting theme...well, no. Hehehe...

Mishima
07-21-2003, 12:30 PM
GAH! Typo. Sorry about that. -Rubs the back of his head all Chibi Goku like- I ment to say Super 17 from GT.

And yes, I agree with you. They need some kinda event for the DBZ cosplayers. Im tired of playing the dbz ccg ( money buget here) for some kinda dbz like action. Give use some lazer tag stuff or something. That would own. ^___^

number18
07-21-2003, 12:38 PM
aww, no 13gou? :( Oh well. I was certain I would have found such a thing if it had existed.

el oh el...DBZ cosplay laser tag ....

What could we do though? I mean...fighting comes to mind but the best way to compete that I could think would be through video games and that's no real DBZ-related event. And the Budokai game isn't ...exactly...the best fighting game evar. So nix that idea. Ooh! We could have some sort of game events...like a DBZ cosplay picnic or something. Like silly races or games like volleyball or basketball or something like that. The only problem with that is people's costumes getting in the way and being too cumbersome...and also where the event would be held, if a room could be set aside for us at a big con. Still, what do you guys think of the idea?

Mishima
07-21-2003, 01:11 PM
I would be very intrested in something like that. Budokai 2 is comming out soon. It is said to be a much better game overall, but we will just have to wait and see I guess. It would be kinda sweet to see everyone play the character they dress up ass though on the game.

The only question now is....What con do we all wanna goto that is left for this year. Im going to Otakon, but I don't think any of you guys are going. I could offer a place for a few people to stay for the weekend if that is an issue or anything. lol, but I couldn't get a place for the whole dbz crew ^.^

number18
07-21-2003, 01:21 PM
Really, I think we'd have to have them at either the 2 big cons (AX04 and Otakon 04) for next year...and probably gonna hafta have an east coast and a west coast one for people that can't get to either con, ya know?

Hmm Budokai 4 sounds good. I'm thinking maybe we'd have an olympics of sorts...who can do best screaming attack, best ginyu force pose, best something else....have sports games ....saiyans versus humans versus others....etc etc. ^_^

CapsuleCorp
07-21-2003, 11:23 PM
I love these ideas! I'm excited to be part of this plan! :D

I'd be up for aiming for Otakon 04 - I just found out I'll get more vacation time next year so I'm already stamping it on my passport, so to speak. I WILL do Otakon next year! That would be a great time to get as many DBZ cosplayers together for a photoshoot and party. There you are - a DBZ room party of sorts, although probably not in a "room" since those tend to be kinda small. Silly races and themed games sounds great. And fortunately, not even Dende will be so restrictive that I can't play games. Whee!

Indigo...yes, I know indigo, but I would consider, say, Piccolo's jumpsuit to be indigo. Well, not even that - it's got a dark purple tint to it. Vegeta's bodysuit during the Buu saga, that's indigo. Heheh. My art classes are coming back to haunt me, aaaaghh!!! I'll give it as a possibility for Trunks, though. :)

number18
07-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Nice. We should definitely start planning something ...though I would like it to me more uh, I guess sophisticated than a "party" even though that's what it will be. I want it to be an "event" if you dig me...

As for colors, woe to us. They seem to change all the time ....like....interpret them for yourself...hehe.

Kawaii Yuna
07-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Sorry! I haven't been posting! -_- But this DBZ get-together sounds awesome! Count me in! Maybe for Otakon '04! ^___^

Mishima: I LOVE ur avatar and sig pic! *faints* lol! :D

CapsuleCorp
07-23-2003, 10:12 PM
An event, yeah. Something official-sounding. :) We've got time to brainstorm, of course.

And yeah, colors do change or appear different from cel to cel. Heck, I'm watching the Frieza saga on CN with a new eye and Vegeta's bodysuit looks clearly indigo in one shot and nearly black the next. *shrug* What can you do except go with what you see?

Although I may get my Dende arms/body exactly the colors used in the cels. ;) I've been swatching colors on screencaps and it does literally change from shot to shot. Maybe only very slightly in one color range so that the eye doesn't distinguish the difference, but there is one. It's aggravating and at the same time highly amusing.

number18
07-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Agreed. When I was at the Anime Boston cosplay.com clubhouse meeting, I was talking about my costume (since I had made a big fuss on the boards about not getting a good wig in time and whatnot), some guy was like oh it's perfect - the only thing that's off is maybe the denim should be a little lighter but...you can't help that.

And I was like oh yeah you're right. =smile= But in my mind I was like....the denim..is too...light? Huuuuhhhh? That's the weirdest thing you could possibly nitpick about. O,o;;; EsPECIALLY since like we've said, the colors change all the damn time.

Mephistopheles
07-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Mishima
Last year I saw...Android 18, Super Android 14, Krillin,Tien,Super Saiyan 4 Goku ( done really well mind you), The Great Saiya-Man with Videl....and I think that was about it.

That Tien may have been me! I remember someone saying that there was a Tien on Friday, with an eyeball taped on his head, and I was in my Buu saga Tien outfit on Saturday. Which one did you see? And what did you think of it? I've yet to actually see a pic of it from the con or hear any feedback from anyone other than my girlfriend....who made the costume. hehe.

Mishima
07-26-2003, 04:18 AM
Well it must have been you. I was only there on Sat. last year for the con sadly, but will be returning for the full thing this year.

From what I remember, it was good. Probably the most acurate dbz costume I saw all day. Will you be back this year in the same costume?

Now that I think about it.... I remember seeing some large gu dressed as.... FAT BUU. Yes, thats right he had pink skin and all. It didn't look very well but he made a good effort at least, thats what counts in those kinda things I guess. Did you happen to see him that day? He was hanging out in the game room I belive. But I never saw him play anything...

Edit: Im working on the little details of the Tornkusu costume now, does anybody have any ideas for what I can use for his belt buckle and that odd looking matterial off to the side of his belt. Looks kinda brownish....

Mephistopheles
07-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Cool, thanks for the compliment. I'd been told by some folks who took my pic that it was the best Tien they'd seen, and that it was one of the best DBZ costumes they'd seen. It was a great first-time cosplaying experience for me.

Unfortunately, however, I don't think I'll be cosplaying this year. I have a very specific agenda for the con, and although I really liked the cosplay experience, it did get in the way a lot. Not only that, but it still needs some work. That costume, and this is a testament to how my girlfriend roXorZ, was rushed through within a week. It needs some work, and I hadn't even thought about it until recently. I'd have 2 weeks to get an undershirt made, fix the cape, fix the wristbands, and somehow get more accurate boots made.

I definitely see it coming back out at Katsucon 10, and possibly again at Otakon 2k4, though I plan on having at least 2 or 3 Tien outfits by then. I'm kind of psyched that my GF wants to help me with the Crane Master outfit. It ought to rock.

But yes, I did see that FAT BUU. I vaguely remember that he had pink dyed hair done up on top of his head for the head-tail. It was fun though. I think that's the main thing. My problem is that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to things like cosplaying. If I don't look as close to 'exactly' like the character I'm cosplaying, I simply won't do it. It's just a matter of personal preference.

I'll be looking for your Trunks costume though. I hope it turns out well. Part of my "agenda" is going to be taking pictures like mad. I've even been thinking of starting a DBZ cosplaying website. I'm not sure though. I need to get some technical things worked out....mainly telling my friend that he won't be able to host the site on his machine.....it goes down too often, and it takes him too long to repair it.

Would there be any interest in something like that, do you think? A DBZ cosplay website, with pics and a forum and the like? Definitely let me know, because it's something I've been giving thought to.

CapsuleCorp
07-26-2003, 06:14 PM
I would be interested in a DBZ-specific site. Mainly for the precise reason that Chino-San started this thread in the first place: because quality DBZ cosplayers are hard to find, and because those of us who do cosplay DBZ are often looked down on by anime elitists who are too good for DBZ. It would be a great way for cosplayers to hook up and plan things like Otakon 04 gatherings. And trade tips without having to weed through threads about Chii ears and stuff. ;)

You bring the Crane Master outfit, Meph, I'll bring chibi Goku. We'll have a battle. :D

I'll think on the Trunks belt, Mishima. I ran into somebody at a Halloween party last year who surprisingly had a really accurate-looking belt, but I have no idea what he made it out of. He was very proud of it, he pointed it out to me since he wasn't wearing the jacket at the time and couldn't otherwise be obviously known as Trunks. I'll scrutinize the pic he emailed me of us DBZ folks.

Mephistopheles
07-26-2003, 08:29 PM
It's such a double-standard really. It's very frustrating, and makes absolutely no sense. Now, granted, I'm one of the most open-minded people living today, and you would have to search really hard to show me something that I don't like.

It's very discouraging for those who like DBZ to be ridiculed for being a fan by some closed-minded elitist. DBZ isn't for everybody, not by a long shot, but it's not fair to criticize someone's intelligence, style, personality, or self of individuality just because one may not be a fan of the show.

I love DBZ, though for a different reason that some I'm sure. I used to hate the show, until I missed one episode. I'd been watching it on Cartoon Network and after 2 weeks couldn't understand why they still haven't beaten that one guy they were fighting. It wasn't until I missed the episode where they DID beat him, that I was sooooo mad at myself for missing it.

It teaches a good story, it has great underlying themes, is based off of some very popular folklore, and is full of tongue-in-cheek humor and enough action to put some Hollywood movies to shame.

There are some things that I'm not into, though I may watch it if it's on, but you'll never hear me say something 'sucks', or is 'lame' or for 'losers.' You simply won't.

I watch DBZ, TRIGUN, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, X: the series, Love Hina, Fruits Basket, the Lodoss Wars series, Evangelion, Kenshin, and so much more. Quite the eclectic collection, and the second someone shows me a title that I've never heard of before, I check it out and buy it if I like it.....which is normally a definite.

I AM far more picky with my video games. I admittedly haven't played many video games lately, so I'm a bit behind, but I'd never say that someone's a loser, or that I'm better than them simply because I don't like some game or anime that they like. It's plain silly, childish, and reeks of self-confidence issues.

In then end, some folks just feel so bad about themselves and what they like that they feel the need to make themselves feel more important by picking on what other people like. To each their own, but I'm still going to shrug it off, and continue to be as open-minded as those closed-minded elitists claim to be.

Moon Prince
07-27-2003, 12:11 AM
hmmm... ten pages.. I didn't read them all...

But I made a Great Saiya-Man costume... because I thought it would be fun to make funny poses.

I noticed though that I have never seen a GSM cosplayer with a helmet. Almost 99% of them wear the headband sunglasses... and those that don't just sunglasses or nothing at all.

When I wore my GSM at AX I got photographed by a Japanese cosplayer that was amused that I was a girl. Heheh

Mephistopheles
07-27-2003, 12:34 AM
OK...I just thought I'd pass this on for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. I was just randomly searching the forums and came across a post about someone's least favorite anime. They mentioned DBZ, as it's the norm around here it seems, and then posted this link.

Now I'm a relatively big DBZ fan, and I laughed my freakin' butt off at this, and after watching it about a half-dozen times, it's funnier every time I watch it...

http://www.virtualroofie.com/flash/dbz.htm

Have fun...it brought me to tears I laughed so hard.

kdthompson
07-27-2003, 04:12 AM
@_@ Oro...

I miss a week and you guys have posted so much!

Greatings from one of the best cons I've ever been to; anyone that has a chance to, go to next year's METROCON!!! It was Awesome! There were about 1600 people there and the head of the con had only expeicted a third of that to show up.

>^.^<

At MetroCon there was an awesome Master Roshi and a chibi Goku and they had the FUNNIEST cosplay skit plus they were alot of fun at the Final Fantacy ball...Roshi kept hitting on Yuna, Rikku, and Lulu! There was a Miss Great Saiya Man as well walking around as well with a really great costume; her helmet looks really nice. It made me wish I'd brought my Piccolo costume with me...my hair was already stuck being green from the floresent yellow spray I put in it for my cloud costume...so it wouldn't of been that big a deal...or I could have been SSJ Gohan...I wish I'd had that costume to pose with them...*sighs* Search for 'MetroCon' and you should be able to see them...I'll see if I can find an dpost the link for it later...

Speeking of helmets, the Moon Prince mentioned something quite intersting; it is extrememly hard to find a helmet version of Great Saiya Man, mainly because not many of us have money to canibalize a helmet. That's why you constantly see the doo rag version. However, I forget the name of the cosplay site, but there's a profeshional one that made the helmated version that looks great...it starts with a 'J' I believe.

To catch up on the rest of what's been posted, here's my $0.02 :

A dbz cosplay site would be a great idea; I'll be happy to help in any way that I can with giving advice, etc. I'm constantly having to figure out how to do quick, easy and cheep things to do that'll pass for good because I generally have to make costumes for myself and my younger brother. I'll even offer my services up for a weekly advice colleum or something...like an "ask Piccolo" or "ask Zarbon" or something like that...*shrugs* PM me or something if things get to be more serious...

A DBZ GET TOGETHER?! Geeze...now I'm going to have to figure out a way to get to Otakon 2004...I wish ya'll weren't all so far away from me *wishes she could have gone to AFO this weekend but had go go home to NC instead of staying in FL to party with her fellow DBZ Otaku* I hope I can have both Mirai Trunks in Saiyan Armor from the Cell and Zarbon done by then...I'd wear then all weekend.... Oh...and I knew he had Lavender hair...that's why I planned to get a Lilac wig. As to the Jacket issues, I don't know about the Manga, I didn't get to read the part with Trunks, but in ever scene in the show I've seen it was purple and on all the merchandice I've looked at it was purple. My lil bro's Trunks doll's jacket is purple. Thus, if/when I make my jacket, I'm making it purple and then I have to figure out how to embroder the patches on...Besides...purple is my favorite color. I suppose something like that has to be left up to the cosplayer which is one of the things I think makes Cosplay fun and personalized...

Hmmm...*ponders about Otakon 2004* that'll be right before I go away to college...maybe I can work something out then with mango...I remember she wanted to cosplay as Jeice...*ponders and plots*

Anywho...Lazertag would be awesome...espeically if you run around yelling out attack names as you blast...but that might get old quick as well. Heh...now, if we could just get a Cell or something, we could reinact a piece of a battle from Boidokai or something in a cosplay skit.

*ponders*

CapsuleCorp
07-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Sounds like you had a great time, Dar-Dar. PICS! Wanna see pics of Roshi and Goku! :D That's too awesome. The Saiyaman you saw actually had a helmet? That's too cool. Thing is, though, I come out of the Star Wars costuming community, where helmets are pretty much standard parts of costumes. People are always casting, making, painting, or cannibalizing one or another. I know guys who could put together a Saiyaman helmet in a weekend if they just had the motivation and reference pics. I'm trying to get those kinds of guys interested in making anime props and costume pieces!

As an aside, I do love laser tag, so if we all get together at a con in a city that has a decent place, especially if it's a Laser Quest franchise, then DUDE! :)

Meph - ROTFLMAO!!!!!! That flash cartoon is hysterical!!! Thanks for sharing... *runs off still snickering*

kdthompson
07-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Oh Star Wars!! *hums Duel of Fates*

The more we talk, the more I find we have in common, Capsule Corps. I think we're going to be trading more and more cosplay secrets...it is a dream of mine to have a Darth Maul costume...

but that's another story and something for a pm....
^.^;;;

Here's the pics of Roshi and Chibi Goku that comeone posted here on cosplay.com...

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=61832&password=&sort=1&cat=998&page=1

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=61586&password=&sort=1&cat=998&page=1

*rushes off to read that comic*

Edit: Oh...and I almost forgot...here's Miss Great Saiya Man

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=61559&password=&sort=1&cat=998&page=2

number18
07-28-2003, 08:27 AM
That Master Roshi cosplayer is the truth. I love the 2nd picture of him posing. And the chibi Goku works so well with him! Ahhhhh such fun costumes. ^_^

As for a DBZ cosplay site, there is a side site under the Jasper cosplay site (i'm sure if you look up Jasper and cosplay you'll find it) for DBZ cosplay. However, people have to submit costumes to them and they don't search out costumes, which is very understandable. I'm sure we could all create a bigger one or something if we really wanted...

Mephistopheles
07-28-2003, 08:43 AM
I'm familiar with the Jasper site, but the picture quality I've seen on that site is horrible, and most of the costumes aren't very good. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for people cosplaying what they want regardless of costume quality (we do it because it's fun after all), but a larger, high quality site, with a much better, more interactive design and tons of good quality pics of every costume, for every character that can be found is what I was thinking of doing. Having done web design in the past I can't look at the Jasper site without something to keep my eyes from bleeding. No offense anyone associated to the site, it's just poor design.

The last time I was there it hadn't been updated in years also. I can't speak for the past few months, but just around the beginning of the year the photos were from 2000 and 2001, and even then there were only about 25 of them, MAX. I'm still considering it, and had even begun designing a layout for it. If I ever get around to finishing the design I'll throw a temp page up for you guys to look at, and you can give me some input if you'd like. Perhaps I'll still go through with it.

CapsuleCorp
07-28-2003, 08:58 PM
OMG! That is an awesome Roshi! He even has the STAFF! ROCK!

Keep us posted, Meph. I'd be proud to be part of a site that kept up to date and was useful, especially if it drew more DBZ cosplayers out of the woodwork. It would also be good for when you meet folks at cons, like Roshi, and want to encourage them to keep in touch and talk costumes after the con is over. I lost track of the group I met at ACen, I'd love to find them again.

Moon Prince
07-29-2003, 12:12 AM
I for some reason watch DBZ mostly in Japanese... when I do manage to see it... I have always liked the characters.

LOL Because I have the hair now, I was thinking of doing Krillin because I have a friend who does 18.

As for a helmet, I found one at a thrift store for $20. Works well, except I hear the ocean so I don't like to wear it for long periods, and I am always afraid of sticking somebody with the antenae

Peachy Momo
07-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Mephistopheles: What the heck was that!! It had me rolling with laughter! The voices were horrible! *wipes tear from eye*

Dar-Dar: Those costumes are so cool! That Master Roshi looks like he was picked out of the anime. Chibi Goku is so cute and Miss Great Sayai Man looks great! It's so good to see DBZ cosplay! :)

DBZ in japanese is better anyway! But I don't mind the American version 'cause my 5 and 13 yr old sister and brother watch it. lol! Also I have no money to buy the original DBZ. As long as I see it! Waiting for GT (they only showed a couple of episodes).... grrr!

Ohh! A DBZ cosplay website! That would be very nice because they are still tons of DBZ fans out there and we need to stick together. They would appreciate a site where they can see fellow fans dressed as their fav DBZ character. I'm so sick of hearing people say how they don't like DBZ and blah, blah, blah. I love it and always will! Oh well, they comments don't faze me at all.

I'm going to do some research on Bulma and get a list of all the outfits she has ever worn/ or that were seen and see which I would like to cosplay in. There are tons...<_<

Mephistopheles
07-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Momo: I found it in a thread about which shows people hate, and someone cited that link as justification for why they hate it. Granted, it sums up a lot of that DBZ 'feel', but it was still very funny. I just watched it again and still laughed as hard as when I first watched it.

Now, DBZ is actually one of those shows that I MUST watch dubbed. My only reasoning is because the strongest race of beings in the universe should not sound like twelve year old girls. It's the opposite with Love Hina. I MUST watch subtitled because I cannot stand the horrible Southern accent they gave Kitsune. Horrible!

Moon Prince
07-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Heheh... That is something that is a bit hard about watching DBZ in Japanese.. but then it's part of the joke.

I need to get the final eps of DBZ.. I want to do 'mom' 18. eheh.. or Krillin with hair... I will have a red gi but I think I'm a bit too tall to do Pan. ^^;

CapsuleCorp
07-29-2003, 11:50 PM
Krillin with hair would be a nice subtle costume - you could stick with a group and be recognized or slip away and look mundane and no one would know. :) I love Krillin, though, I'd give full support to any Krillin cosplayer.

I have to watch DBZ dubbed, too. I'm too used to the voices, now, I wouldn't be able to see them any other way. Unlike some attempts at dubbing, the voices fit the characters, their attitudes and personalities as well as their looks. I always have to give FUNi props for that, for all the anime they get to handle. I'm stoked, though, a good friend of mine from the prop community got to voice Broly for the next DBZ movie. I can't wait to hear it!

I'm happy at the moment because my boss and I worked on my Namek shirt tonight. It's going to be so cool! I can't wait to show you guys my secret project. ;)

Mephistopheles
07-30-2003, 12:08 AM
Yeah, after meeting Sean Schemmel at Katsucon 8, I have a new respect for those guys who dub DBZ. Passing out from screaming for over a minute straight must be taxing...but yeah, other than watching DBGT on the International Channel in Japanese (no subtitles), I have to watch it dubbed.

And secret projects eh? That ought to be something to see. And where do you work where your boss helps you with making costumes? That MUST be fun.

Costume update for me....I've decided to start planning for Katsucon 10 with a Crane Master outfit for Tien. Now, I've seen a screencap, and have some doujins where Tien's in his Crane Master suit with a rice bowl hat. I'd much prefer that over the little beanie-thing, but I've only ever seen it in that one screencap and my doujins. How often did he wear that? And is it something that would throw off the costume, or would it just look twice as hardass than with the beanie? Dilemma....

CapsuleCorp
07-30-2003, 12:18 AM
ooo good question. I've only seen Dragonball on CN, so I haven't yet seen the King Piccolo saga - which is likely where that screencap came from. Might have to find someone with the dvds. I'm not allowed to get dvds for a while, I've spent all my non-essential budget on my costumes. *blushies*

As for where I work that my boss can help me with my costumes, I'll tell you later. ;) My boss is a total geek, though. He made some very cool Matrix coats for the first con he went to this summer.

NeoLunaAngel
07-30-2003, 08:20 AM
Hi, I'm new to this thread, but maybe you can answer this question: Has anyone ever done a Bulma with Baby trunks costume?? My brand new husband and I are expecting in January and wanted to do a fun, but not serious costume together so I asked about bulma and vegeta...he loves vegeta...and picked him in his 'badman' shirt and her with baby trunks...I've never seen this done before and would love to see how others did baby trunks... any suggestions??
Thanks!!

number18
07-30-2003, 10:28 AM
As for the dub vs sub thing with DBZ...I think the voice acting is for the most part really good. I just HATE HATE HATE!!! the music. I think the composer is an idiot and he sucks and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE RAP METAL HARDCORE BABY!!!!?!@?! And this ESPECIALLY applies to the movies. The Trunks special SUCKED because the music was so bad. SOoooooooooooooooooo bad. I couldn't take it. Just that SOMEONE =coughboyfriendcough= lost my sub tape of the Trunks special and I haven't gotten around to buying the DVD....and even so, I fear that it won't have the original Japanese music on it. But oh well.

And yes, Meph, a comprehensive DBZ cosplay site would be sweet. One that doesn't hurt the eyeballs. ^_^

Mephistopheles
07-30-2003, 12:32 PM
NeoLunaAngel: Last year at Otakon there was a Bulma with a baby Trunks, but I can't for the life of me remember whether the baby Trunks was a real baby, or a doll. I do believe I saw it though, but again, it may have been a doll, and not a child.

I'm actually thinking of taking my neice to Otakon next year on Saturday with her dressed as Chaotzu, and myself Tien. If I can't do that I'll have a little Chaotzu plushie that my GF wants to make me. Heck, I may have it done by Katsucon..that's the goal at any rate.

Number18: I agree. If it's one thing that I couldn't stand about the Cooler movies is the music. I liked the movies enough, but the music was just out of place.

This weekend coming up I'll finish up hammering out a basic design for the DBZ cosplay site and I'll let you guys check it out for feedback. The layout will be rough, but tweaked enough to get the point across.

kdthompson
07-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Althought there are some anime that I'll watch strictly dubbed or soubbed, I suppose I'm neurtal on the dub/sub subject when it comes to dbz. I've watched it both ways and I like it just fine; heh, I'll watch it either way as long as I can get my fix, I guess. ^.^

NeoLunaAngel: Hmmm...I have to agree, I've most certainly never seen that done before. Let's see if I can dig up any screen shots and give you some suggestions...

Meph: Please do keep us posted on that site. As I mentioned earlier I'm more than willing to help and post any pictures I find from any of the cons I attend as well as making artwork, banners, buttons, etc. (since I seem to be the only one out here in NC).

Oh, and just out of curiosity, has anyone given any thought of how to make a Scouter? I don't remember whether or not he uses one *has been too long since she's seen the Namek Saga*, but I think Zarbon might use one...and I wouldn't mind having one in general. That, and a dragon ball radar as well. (heh...if we actually managed to get them to light up, that would be nifty as well... ^.^)

Mishima
07-30-2003, 01:00 PM
I saw a Bulma and baby Trunks costume on e-bay once. The little cap thing for Trunks looked cool. I haven't seen one of those sence. Shouldn't be to hard to make. It was based around the Cell Saga Bulma, so really you would just have to get clothes that match and do your hair right.

I personaly liked the music. The guy that did it was at Otakon last year singing cds and such. I like many of the songs -Scrolls down his Winamp list- Piccolo's Theme, Super Saiyan 3,Mysterious Youth ,Trunks vs. Cell,Gohan's Theme and a lot of others...
As far as the movie music...what kinda music did you expect? IF you don't like the music so far...then you are really gonna be upset with the Broly movie's music as well.

kdthompson
07-30-2003, 01:36 PM
Once again, I'm neutral as fair as music goes. In some scenes I think the dub music works better, in others the orignal. It just depends really...

Mephistopheles
07-30-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm really glad so many of you want to help out with this dbz cosplay website idea. As I get my plans, the layout, and my finances together (websites don't pay for themselves), I'll post all of the info and what kind of help I'd be looking for. I'll more than likely get some pics commissioned at Otakon for some of the site's backgrounds and perhaps some wallpapers for you guys to download. As these ideas start coming together, I'll post more info.

CapsuleCorp
07-30-2003, 08:12 PM
heheh. *hi5's Mishima* I'm a huge fan of Bruce Faulconer too. The music from the movies, though, he didn't do any of that, so if people hate it, don't blame him. He just did the eps, far as I know.

Anyway...baby Trunks would be adorable! I'm not much of a baby person but that would be great. I always love the idea of getting whole families involved in cosplay together. It shouldn't be too tough to dig up pics and screencaps from Androids/Cell sagas of Bulma around that time, should it? The only pic I have of Bulma carrying the baby, I can't tell what he's wearing. It looks like just a white shirt, blue shorts or pants, and that funny cap.

And yes, Dar-Dar, as far as I can remember, Zarbon had a scouter. He certainly does in Frieza's flashbacks to the day he wiped out the saiyans. That's another one of those much-talked-about-but-never-got-off-the-ground projects the prop-replica guys have. They get delusions of grandeur, I think. My big question has always been, how does one keep it sitting on the side of one's head, if the scouters technically don't have crosspieces or headbands? You can't just lick it and stick it to your ear or anything.

Mephistopheles
07-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Hmm....well if you didn't have plans on taking it off you could double-sided tape it on. Either that or have a set of subdermal screws implanted in the side of your head so you can screw it on. One of the more extreme options, but who doesn't want screwholes on the side of their head? I dare you to disagree. :-)

kdthompson
07-30-2003, 08:42 PM
The perfect thing to go with all my cosplay ideas - screw holes ^.^;;

Well....I figured douple sided tape or duct tape. it's how I got my Millieum eye to stay on my head.

And for Zarbon you could use a head band because it could be hidden under the wig. Or, for that matter, if could go under a wig for anyone with weird hair that requires a wig. It's how folks make cat ears, etc attach to wigs; why wouldn't it work for scouters?

I think the only thing I'd have major poblems with would be the 'screen' part of the scouter. I've been having the same issues wiht a visor I plan to make for another cosplay, and other than using a pair of pre exsisting shades, I don't know what to do...

Kendo_Bunny
07-31-2003, 05:08 PM
You could make a screen out of a piece of plastic, if you know how to soften and fold it properly. To do it a cheap and easy way, although it may look kind of funny, is to make a frame for the screen out of wire, and cover it with yellow cellophane.
Maybe to get it to stick you could use those little stick-on Velcro patches ^^;

Mephistopheles
07-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Since I don't have any pics of my Tien costume I uploaded a pic of me in that pretentious 'thoughtfully looking down' pose so you guys can check out my baldness. I'll have to throw on the costume in its current state and take some pics so you guys can see what it looked like. I'm modifying the wristbands, the cape, and the boots before I wear the costume again. That's all that needs to be done for it to be perfect. With any luck it'll be before Otakon, though I doubt it. We'll see though, but check ME (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=64123&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) out!

CapsuleCorp
07-31-2003, 10:16 PM
I can definitely see you making an excellent Tien, Meph. Get that costume thrown on! Wanna see!

I hadn't thought about the wig issue - very true that most characters who wear the scouter would have hair that would hide a band that holds the scouter on your ear. Good point! Zarbon and Jeice especially. As for the lens/screen thingy, tinted plastic would be the best but I don't know where one goes about finding it. I don't know that there's a way to paint it and keep it transparent. I'll ruminate on that one for a bit.

Peachy Momo
07-31-2003, 10:26 PM
CapsuleCorp I agree with you that Mephistopheles looks like he can cosplay a very good Tien! I have to see that! lol! Post pics soon! ^___^

kdthompson
07-31-2003, 10:38 PM
Ditto.

If Meph spontaniously grew a third eye, he'd BE Tienshinhan!

Mephistopheles
07-31-2003, 10:45 PM
*is relieved for painful skin graft that covers third eye*

Nope, hehe, no Tienshinhan here...just a regular guy. That's me, a regular bald guy...

*Whew!*

At any rate, I'll have to try to break out the costume this weekend to get a couple of pics. I won't be wearing it to another con until I get it perfect, but I can take a few pics this Saturday so you guys can see at least ONE more DBZ cosplay outfit.

Peachy Momo
07-31-2003, 10:54 PM
Yippee! ^___^

Mephistopheles has a hidden third eye! lol!

kdthompson
07-31-2003, 10:56 PM
*chuckles* Ah...that's a good one...skin graft... ^.^

Oh...and I had a bit of an idea today. I was thinking about the reconstruction of my Piccolo costume, and I was thinking, for the skin, a lycra body suit with muscles (just the pink bits not padding), a hood, and built in antenna. I'm trying to get around body paint because I'll break out really bad *hate atolesense and acne* do you think it could work?

CapsuleCorp
07-31-2003, 10:57 PM
Do I want to ask how you do the third eye, anyway? I may need to know in case I go REALLY hardcore accurate with my Hiei costumes...

There's just something too appropriate about the line "Mephistopheles has a third eye." :D

And we must see the pics, because, you know, we can't get enough DBZ cosplay.

Mephistopheles
07-31-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by CapsuleCorp
There's just something too appropriate about the line "Mephistopheles has a third eye." :D

What's worse is that I had a skin graft to cover it up.

As for the eye, my GF is a mackin' artist, and I have her use some professional make-up to draw one on. I was thinking about some kind of horror movie special effects eye attached somehow, but I saw another Hiei cosplayer with one and it looked frightening. Having it drawn on is good enough for me.

kdthompson
07-31-2003, 11:09 PM
Unless you could have one made for you to look like the one from the anime and not be overly frightening at the same time, I'd go with the drawn one.

Oh...and here's something amusing I did back in my Piccolo obsessed says to amuse you people...

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/2316157

How the fun I'd have walking around if I made that costume. *has been wanting to have an anime beach party for the longest but hasn't ever been able to have enough be interested.

Peachy Momo
07-31-2003, 11:45 PM
That would be great Dar-Dar! You can be "beach fun in the sun chilling Piccolo"! <---extremely long title! lol! That would be interesting. I'll be Bulma in a hot red bikini. JK! lol!

kdthompson
08-01-2003, 12:18 AM
Well...I'm already going to do Dark Link at the beach...so I'll happily be the Green Man as well!

^.^

Now...I only wish I'd bought those dark purple swim trunks I saw in flordia that I really liked...

Mephistopheles
08-01-2003, 09:54 PM
OK guys, I finally uploaded some of my pics from this past Katsucon. Check them out if you'd like.

Peachy Momo
08-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Great pics Mephis! I already posted some comments! ^__^

Mephistopheles
08-01-2003, 10:19 PM
BONUS! I'll check them out right away!

Hotaru's Sister
08-02-2003, 09:11 AM
I'm sorry but I just cannot read through all 12 pages of this :drunk: so forgive me if anything I say has already been said.

First, I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought of the Videl costume we made for Hotaru here: http://forums.cosplay.com/costume.php?action=detail&cosid=2038 It's the only DBZ costume we've made and I'd love to get your opinion on it. Unfortunately those pics aren't the best so you can't really see the hair pieces or the boots.

As for boots which were brought up earlier, We used flat, slightly pointy (videl's boots are somewhat rounded) shoes from Kmart and worked around them. We covered the front with this thin leathery stuff that had been the cover of a binder which was falling apart. Then we built the sides and toungue with green canvas, following the shape of the shoe (so it would work like an actual shoe. The straps were also made of canvas and they opened and closed with velcro. We were really proud of our working boots. We did all the sewing by hand (ever sew into the sole of a shoe? :rolleyes: and made sure the stiching matched our reference pics. The only thing I plan to do for them is to somehow reinforce the boot so they stand up better, and to make the tongue stiffer.

Mephistopheles
08-02-2003, 01:17 PM
I personally think it's a great costume. DBZ style boots are some of the most difficult footwear to pull of in cosplay...period. I think you guys did a superb job putting together accurate boots for this costume. As far as the clothes, they're dead on. I like this costume a lot.

Videl's outfit isn't a difficult one to put together (if one has the time to look for everything), but I think the shoes are the hardest part of putting together an accurate costume for her. You guys did a great job!

CapsuleCorp
08-02-2003, 08:58 PM
That's a great way of scratch-building the boots. Good job!

*looks at Meph's pics* You know, I think I saw that SSJ3 Goku at DragonCon last year...

And thanks for the tip about the eye. It would be great to have one that I could cover with the headband and reveal at will, but good point about it probably looking crappy or wrong. If I get the desperate urge to have a Jagan Eye I'll just have to go without the headband for the day.

Mephistopheles
08-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Hehe, if I find that other Hiei pic with the crazy scary eye I'll post it here. It was frighteningly odd.

CapsuleCorp
08-02-2003, 09:39 PM
"How Not To Cosplay Hiei" ....

frighteningly odd is definitely something I don't want.

And where's those pics of Tien, man? :D You know I'm going to nag you about it mmmm...pretty much daily till we see 'em.

Mephistopheles
08-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Got it!
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=23195&password=&sort=1&cat=574&page=47
Frightening I tell you...frightening.

kdthompson
08-03-2003, 01:50 PM
*blinks*

Ok...The eye probably wouldn't scare me as much if he'd put soeme make up over the parts of the prosthetic eye to blend it more with his skin. That way it would have look more 'natural'.

And Yeah...Let's see those Tien Pics!

We want Tien! We want Tien!

*sweatdrop* sorry...I got abit carried away there...

number18
08-03-2003, 01:52 PM
The Videl costume you posted is nice. I like it very much...

and ....I totally had something else to say but can't remember.

The Vejita, Bulma and baby Trunks costumes would be absolutely adorable. ^___^

CapsuleCorp
08-03-2003, 08:24 PM
GAHHH!!! *leaps and hides behind Meph* Good LORD! You weren't kidding! In that case, drawing the Eye on with makeup the way you and your awesome gf do for Tien would be the way to go.

LOL lost your train of thought, 18?

Peachy Momo
08-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Ohh! Very cute Videl costume! ^__^

Creepy eye indeed! *runs and hides* lol!

I've done some homework (more like research, lol) on the different types of outfits Bulma wears. There are tons and this is all I could find. Jeez, some of these DBZ sites lack so much! Itís was like an arm and leg trying to find decent full body images of Bulma. Grrr! A lot of the search links were leading to hentai and nude pictures which didnít help at all and made me kind of mad. >_< Anyway, here are links to the outfits that I like. Please help me pick out which one should be my first DBZ costume. If itís the same image/outfit twice, sorry! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :D

1. http://www.saiyanultimate.com/bulmap13.jpg

2. http://www.saiyanultimate.com/bulmap12.jpg

3. http://www.saiyanultimate.com/bulmap15.jpg

4. http://www.saiyanultimate.com/bulmap19.jpg

5. http://www.jpopnation.com/rage/gallery.php?view=Bulma/blm03.jpg

Which ever is the decided outfit will be part of my 2004 costume list. I would love to get started on it right away and maybe at least by the end of this year have the wig (get that out of the way!). If you have any other Bulma outfits in mind donít hesitate to tell me. Thanks again! o^___^o

P.S. - Here is a very good Bulma and Vegeta site. This creator is also a superb fanfic writer and is one of my favorites. Just wanted to share this with you all. Mature content on site! ;)

http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/darkeside/welcome.htm

CapsuleCorp
08-04-2003, 09:12 PM
Well, let's see...#1 is from the Frieza saga, what she wore on Namek, I've always been partial to that one. #2 is Dragonball Bulma - cute but she's just a teen there. #3 is Buu saga - Mom Bulma. ;) #4 is from Garlic Jr. I think - that weird hair! #5...omg what the HECK is that?? I've never seen that before!

I'm definitely partial to #1, that vest is too cool and could be used for everyday wear outside of the costume. That would be a heck of a lot of work to make or modify, though. Buu Saga Bulma would probably be the easiest costume-wise, you would get to spend most of your time on the hair so people know you're Bulma. Which is, of course, the point. ;) I'm trying to think if she had any other cooler outfits - there's a lot of sagas I haven't seen at all so I'm no expert, but...

kdthompson
08-05-2003, 09:20 PM
I think number 5 is from the latter dragon ball/ really early dbz stuff...I remember she was still head over heals for Yancha when she wore it...

I remember seeing that picture, I just don't remember where...

Peachy Momo
08-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks so much for your opinions! ^__^

Breezy
08-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Ok... I have seen some pretty good DBZ costumes. I saw like one or two at Ohayocon 2003!
My boyfriend's mom made me an Android 18 costume (well, I bought the stuff and she sewed what needed to be sewed)
I think we did a flippin good job!
Take a looksee:

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=22831

My website (which sucks and was for class) shows the red ribbon logo here is the link:
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~blalexan/PROJECT/COSPLAY.HTM

Bre

Mephistopheles
08-06-2003, 11:00 AM
That's absolutely a great #18 costume. This is why we need a high quality website dedicated to good DBZ cosplay. I think after Otakon I'll have to get to work, full-swing on putting something together. I'm getting some art done for the site AT OTAKON, so that step will be taken care of right away. Hopefully it'll come together really well. I'll keep you guys posted.

kdthompson
08-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Yatta! I'm really looking forward to this site. The mere idea of it really inspires me...

My summer is up after this weekend...*sighs* That means my costume time is seriously cut to give way from school...

However, seeing how light my schedule is for next year, I shouldn't have too much problem finishing at least Trunks...if not Zarbon as well...

CapsuleCorp
08-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Dude, after I finish Dende, I'm not going to try to do any more costumes for a while. :) I'll have three Hiei outfits plus Dende and Goku, and Yugi. That should tide me over for the next year. Plus I'll be working with the guys on the saiyan armor project over winter...

It NEVER ENDS.

but I'll always be around to critique and offer insight on costume building progress!

Fantastic 18, Breezy! We've got a lot of good-looking 18's around, nice. We need some more guys in here though! Potential saiyan guys! ;)

Mephistopheles
08-06-2003, 08:48 PM
And one SEXY ASS TIEN!!!

erm, what?

kdthompson
08-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Yeah! Most definately! I think it's amusing that most of the cosplayers here are female. I thought DB(Z) was a SHONEN STYLE anime...

these are an amazing time we live in...

Ooo! I wanna see the Sexay Tein!

Mephistopheles
08-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Oh, you'll probably have to find some other guy to wear the costume then, 'cause I was joking...I'm hideous troll-boy Tien.

number18
08-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Ooh nice #18 costume, Breezy. I love how you frayed the arm holes in the vest - so few people do that (myself included...it's such a nice vest!) ^_^ Also love the boots. The color is dead on. How'd you get it so perfect? And would you mind me putting you on the cosplay part of my #18 shrine? All you gotta do is email me the handle you wanna go by and all the pics of you as Juuhachi that you want posted on the site. Here's the URL

http://cgi.cyborgmemoirs.com

Oh...and *ahem* since I am mentioning my shrine yet again, I must correct ya'll on the use of "Android 18." She's a cyborg, baby!

EDIT: Yes, I second (or third) the whole sexay!!!! Tien thing. lol! I'm still waiting for a sexaaaaay!!! Vejita though. :( Like...Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow sexaaaay!!! Nah mean? -.-;

kdthompson
08-07-2003, 04:26 PM
*cries, because she still hasn't seen Pirates of the Carrabian yes*

No I don't know what you mean...*sobs*

CapsuleCorp
08-07-2003, 09:35 PM
I'll get there eventually (pirates, i mean).

And you are NOT troll-boy, Meph. Remember, we've seen your picture. :) I'm holding out for the sexaaaaay Tien! But you're already HERE, I was simply lamenting that you're one of the only ones. Male ones. We need more like you! But not exactly like you, because you're our one and only Tien!

*rambles*

OMG my Dende shirt is half done. It's starting to look SOOO awesome! can't wait to show you!!

Mephistopheles
08-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Well, I could argue the troll-boy topic, but I'll take any compliments I get. I'm actually a little angry at myself for not getting my outfit together in time for Otakon. I will still throw that bad-boy on to take some pics for you guys, but I need to hand-wash the darned thing and fix the cape. After Otakon, however, my intentions are to have that costume, and Tien's Crane Master outfit completed for Katsucon.

Speaking of Otakon though, I just got back from dinner after picking up my badge. I actually had a really good time just standing in line. I haven't been around long enough to recognize anybody from the forums, but I'm sure they were there.

I'll take lots of DBZ pics, so don't worry.

kdthompson
08-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Yay! Wai wai! *tis looking forward to it*

CapsuleCorp
08-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Excellent Meph! Have fun at Otakon, for those of us who couldn't go this year. At least I'm going to Wizard World, that's a little something...

number18
08-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Excellent! My friend is going to Otakon but she's not a cosplayer...thank god someone has vowed to take DBZ cosplay pics! I can rest easy now...

kdthompson
08-09-2003, 10:25 AM
*stary eyed* I look forward to all the powered-up prettiness to come!

Edit: This this who I think it is....*grins*

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=45861&password=&sort=1&cat=998&page=3

Mephistopheles
08-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Hehe, nope. Not me, but still good to see another Tien out there. I'll confess, and you guys can absolutely destroy me if you'd like, but I've only taken a few pictures so far. I always freeze up asking people for pictures. I hate to interrupt them while they're doing things, and sometimes I'm with people and I don't want to make them wait. I'll try my darndest to get my photo count up, but I still have this fear of bothering people that I need to get over.

I'll try and get more pics, I swear!!!

CapsuleCorp
08-10-2003, 08:13 PM
aww Meph! Be strong! What would Tien do? (WWTD? LOL!!!!)

I was away to Wizard all weekend - saw a Trunks that I think I saw at ACen. Some of my pictures of the cosplay.com group didn't turn out well, which I can't figure since it's a digital camera, but I'll see what I can do to get them up quickly.

Whoa...Tien AND Chiaotzu? I'm impressed. Though, the colors are a leeeetle bright. But hey, so is the color in the anime. :)

Mephistopheles
08-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Well, two things:

1) I uploaded the 10 pics I took, only a small portion of which are DBZ. I saw a lot there, and apologize for not taking more pics. As I said before though, I have this problem with interrupting somebody to take a pic. It's something I need to get over. At any rate, check that stuff out.

2) I was in the Artist's Alley and I was walking by a table and the lady behind it yelled at me, "I took a picture of YOU last year!" I was shocked that she remembered taking that pic, especially since she admitted to not knowing who I was, and not knowing a lot about DBZ. I said, "So where's the pic? I've been searching for one for a long time." She responds, much to my amazement and delight, "On my website. Here's my card so you can check it out."

BOOYA! I have my costumes updated with that ONE PIC I was able to find of my online. I swear I looked much cooler in the mirror. Hehe.

kdthompson
08-10-2003, 09:09 PM
*snaps* Ah shuck...*feels bad for being wrong*

Ah well...at least it's another cool DBZ cosplayer to look at, and a male one at that...

And yes, do be strong Meph!

number18
08-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Wow, I can't REALLY see the Goku's hair, but it looks pretty fly. What happened to the picture comment system? I can't find the blasted button...

Mephistopheles
08-10-2003, 09:30 PM
You know what, I have to re-do all of those pics and post them all over again. I'm doing the posting from my laptop, and my screen is really bright on my laptop. When I adjust the brightness/contrast of the pics before posting them they seem pretty good to me on here, but I just looked at the pics from my PC and they all look darker than they did on the laptop. I'll fix themand re-post them soon. Sorry for that guys...silly laptop, Photoshop is for PC's.

kdthompson
08-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Here here to photoshop! Good luck with those pics Meph

CapsuleCorp
08-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Ooo that first Krillin is really cool! Although the blue is a little bright. What part of navy blue is so hard to figure out?

ack, I mean first as in order in the gallery - the one marked "part 2." Destructo Disk! WOOHOO!!

And there's our Meph-Tien! COOL! Dude! You look awesome! Stop fretting and start strutting your stuff, man, because you ARE Tien. The costume is great. Five gold stars!

Mephistopheles
08-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Well thank you very much, but it DOES need a little work. I need to fix the eye, because it's a bit large and seems to soak up a lot of the forehead glare I get from camera flashes...hehe. The wristbands are velcro, but I want them to snap on, and they're missing the red trim(though you can't see them in that pic I have). I need to make the cape more accurate and able to stay the freak on and not get in my way(tough job, but I'll pull it off I'm sure). I then have to do something about getting realistic Tien boots. I'm pretty sure that if I break my butt I can get it done by Katsucon, so come February, I'll be all the Tien I can be.

Aside from that, I'm glad you like it. I still may don the garb again and take some better, less flash-heavy pics of the outfit. Now that I found that one pic I'm in less of a rush though, hehe. We'll see.

Mishima
08-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Well im back from Otakon now. Saw a few DBZ cosplayers. A Krillin that I saw last year in the sam thing, about 5 Pans, 2 Great-Saiya-Mans, 2 of Android 17, 2 of Android 18 ( I talked with one, but she was eating so I let her be >.> ), 1 Videl, a few Gokus and.. a guy dressed like Chi-Chi. His costume was REALLY good though.

And of course me as Torankusu running around all weekend. Sunday I had a sign " Saiya-Jins need glomps too!" on it. A few pics of me should be up by the end of the week.

Is anyone here possably going to Anime USA or Neko-Con this year? Im thinking about going to one of them, but Im just checking to see if anyone else is cosplaying dbz befor I go.

Mephistopheles
08-11-2003, 02:09 PM
I may have seen you. I only saw ONE Trunks at the con, but I was sitting with my group of friends and the Trunks I saw just WHIZZED by. I could barely get a good look, but it may have been you if you were the only one there. On Saturday I had a bright orange Kyo hat on, and I was with my GF who was Akito. You MAY have seen me, but if that was you, you were zooming down the hall.

Mishima
08-11-2003, 02:42 PM
lol, Yeah probably me. I was just walking around all weekend checking out the girls ^.^

I Guess I had a really fast walk or something, I duno. But my feet hurt soooooo bad now.

CapsuleCorp
08-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Sounds like fun! But I'm waiting for the pics! ;) I should get mine from Wizard World up pretty soon, it's taking forever to upload and some of them are huge.

kdthompson
08-11-2003, 08:47 PM
There's a slight possibility of my going to NekoCon, Mishima!

I don't know if I'll have any new DBZ costumes done by then; it depends on how the school year treats me. *twas her first day of school today* But I'll be there, hopefully... I've got some other friends I want to see as well, so I'm trying to talk my mom into letting me go.

RyogaVee
08-11-2003, 09:15 PM
If your looking for professional looking DBZ look no further,
I got commissioned to do Vegeta's Battle armor a few months back. I was able to give a copy to Chris Sabat last year.
I also have gotanks vest., however... I don't have good pix of it right now.
so you'll have to deal with this right now.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ryogavee/vwp?.dir=/Comic+Con+2002&.dnm=Chris+sabat+%26+Ryoga---1.jpg&.view=t

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ryogavee/vwp?.dir=/Comic+Con+2002&.dnm=Ryoga+%26+Krillin.jpg&.view=t

Mephistopheles
08-11-2003, 09:25 PM
The armor looks pretty sweet. What's that made out of, and how long did it take you to make it?

That Hellsing/Trigun costume is absolutely amazing. That's a lot of attention to detail. That can't have been cheap, nor quick to make. Kudos for a job well done.

CapsuleCorp
08-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I'm curious about the make of the armor. It looks from here like soft cloth - very very well sculpted. Nary a line or seam out of place. LOL I love it when voice actors get into cosplay!

Mishima
08-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I have to say that Armor is VERY impressive from what I can see. I myself am looking to invest in some Saiya-Jin armor. Cost really isn't a thing if I can have it look like that. I have some ideas, sadly it wouldn't be finished anytime this year unless I REALLY get cracking on it.

RyogaVee
08-12-2003, 10:29 PM
thank you all. when i do cosplay i make sure that the budget is not an issue. i spent $210 on the Vash / Alucard - Trigun / Hellsing / D coat.
the Saian armor is made out of poly doublenit and foam.
i have the patterns for 3 sizes. small to Dadoria size.
as soon as i get my other PC back up I'll take detailed photos of it and show you guys.

CapsuleCorp
08-12-2003, 10:38 PM
That's very cool. I'll be on a project making the armor out of foam latex over the winter, but I'm always keeping an eye out for quicker, cheaper, just-as-awesome looking methods. I had thought of stitching vinyl over foam to sculpt it right as well as get a more armor-like look, but the knit fabric sewn over foam looks damn good!

And here I thought I was going to take a break on costumes after DragonCon. Nope!

RyogaVee
08-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Vinyl WILL NOT WORK.
I know because vinyl is my specialty.
For the sayian armor you need it to stretch and work with your body.
Someone tried to commission me a few months back for a vinyl one and I told him I would however it would not be what he expected.

CapsuleCorp
08-12-2003, 11:41 PM
I've worked with vinyl before, it wouldn't be my first time. I find it quite flexible, but a pain in the butt to sew. Which is partly why I'm always looking for other ideas - I just don't want to deal with the headache.

number18
08-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Very nice, RyogaVee...

I was thinking about using a very similar method to create one of my other planned costumes...since uh, vacuum forming a corset doesn't seem too cool. -.-;;

CapsuleCorp
08-13-2003, 11:09 PM
LOL!!!! vacforming a corset? Now there would be a project! :D Ouch!

number18
08-14-2003, 03:43 PM
Yeah really. Like, it's a corset, but with all this obnoxious ornamentation on it....like a Hellraiser kinda thing. :P But this is the DBZ thread so I'll keep from talking about that here!

kdthompson
08-14-2003, 07:36 PM
*looks forward to seeing lonewolf's photos*

Ano...*gently pokes Mishima* didja see? I'm going to try to go to NekoCon.... >^.^<

Mishima
08-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Yeah, Im just to lazzy to post. o.o;; I was really hoping to have my pics up by now from Otakon -randomly kicks something- befor I posted next.

But, back on subject. Yes, any plans on who you might be cosplaying as for NekoCon? My hair is still purple so...looks like im stuck going as Torankusu lol.

kdthompson
08-14-2003, 08:34 PM
*giggles at said laziness* It's ok...It's perfectly understandible...*sighs about the lack of having MetroCon pics*

If I get to go, I've already got two other anime planned for cosplay (I have promised afterall), but depending on how much time I have during school i might beable to make one set of saiyan armor before then and I'll come as Namek Saga Gohan *works with my current hair cut* ^_^;;;

OR...if worse comes to worse I can pull out the ol' piccolo costume and be him or SSJ Gohan *would have to remake the hair* -_-;;;;;

CapsuleCorp
08-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Ooo! Namek Saga Gohan! I like that idea, Dar-Dar. :D But Namek/Frieza sagas are my favorite, so I'm biased. Enjoying that CN is showing Frieza muchly. ;)

kdthompson
08-17-2003, 07:00 PM
I'm partial to Namek and Cell sagas myself ( and kinda garlik too cuz Piccolo gets so much screen time) so I understand perfectly!

number18
08-18-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm partial to Namek and Cell sagas myself ( and kinda garlik too cuz Piccolo gets so much screen time) so I understand perfectly!

lol...my boyfriend is all about the Namek saga himself...but I just...can't stand watching the same episodes I've seen 100 times already of Goku and Freeza fighting!!! >.<! I mean...I dunno. I like the rest of that saga, but the fighting is like most of it and I've seen it so many times before and ahhhhhh !

I'm sure you can all can guess what saga is my favorite. :D Mwuaha!

kdthompson
08-18-2003, 08:24 PM
I always skip that part...it bores me as well. So it's ok number18...it's quite understandible...

CapsuleCorp
08-18-2003, 10:17 PM
LOL I think that's why there's just so MUCH of DBZ - so all of us can find the part we like and have something to enjoy. ;)

Man, I'm SOOOO close to being finished with Dende. I have a nagging feeling I'll be hand-stitching green lycra gloves in the car on the way to DragonCon, but either way, I'm going to have it ready to debut. I can't wait to show pictures, I'm getting so impatient. But not enough to speed up the days till the con - I have too much to do before then!

Mephistopheles
08-18-2003, 10:26 PM
I didn't start watching DBZ until Cartoon Network started airing the Cell Saga. I missed out on just about everything before that. I caught some of the Saiyan Saga and a small portion of the Frieza Saga, but have missed out on SOOOOO much. I guess I'll have to catch it all at some point, but who wants to buy THAT MANY DVD's? I can't watch the subtitled versions, because the strongest being in the world sounding like a little girl(and not BEING a little girl) simply doesn't work for me. Oh well, I remain in the dark on much of DBZ. Eventually I'll catch it all....eventually.

kdthompson
08-20-2003, 02:33 AM
Aw...poor Meph...No friends to mooch tapes off of or anything? You have my sympathies. If I hadn't already recorded over all my dbz already, I'd send you them...

Mishima
08-20-2003, 06:47 AM
Well oddly enough. I have all of DBZ on VHS and the movies on DVD. I have GT on a few cds if you would be intrested in watching them, I might be able to hook you up. That offer is up for anyone who is intrested.
Personaly don't think much of GT myself, but thats another story all together.

On a rather odd side note, does anyone here play the DBZ CCG?

number18
08-20-2003, 08:37 AM
No, I haven't played the CCG. My house (that is, roomates, boyfriend included) is allllllll about the Yu-Gi-Oh! ccg. I like it. But at Anime Boston, when #17 and I were in the game room, a guy came up to us and handed us each our own card from the DBZ CCG. It was cooool :B

And yeah, when I was in high school, I had only seen up to the Freeza saga where it always ended...where it stopped RIGHT before Goku is supposed to go super saiyan. And there was this group in my school, like this small band of us that would always be buying fan sub tapes from this place downtown for 10 bucks a piece (4/5 epys a tape, but BAAAAAAD quality! we were starving for dbz tho!). And when someone got the newest tape, we'd allllll pass it around till we'd all seen it. I remember specifically watching the tape where Cell tries to be a badass to Piccolo by using the makkankosappo on him, but Piccolo just slaps the thing away. It was soooo badass. And let's not forget the sheer ecstacy from watching the android saga. <3! So many silly good memories.

I want to buy the DVD box sets, but I'm afraid that the subbing on the Japanese sides are all changed or something. Like it's translated as them saying "darn!" when it's really something more severe. I dunno. And I'm afraid they take out the Japanese music, which you guys must know by now to be one of my fave aspects of the show.

Mephistopheles
08-20-2003, 09:00 PM
I've been considering buying the import DVD's, but we'll see. I'd have to do them one set at a time, and take long breaks between sets. I'm sure I'll see them all eventually. The internet's good for something...hehe.

CapsuleCorp
08-20-2003, 10:35 PM
I've been recording off CN as my simple like of DBZ grew to obsession about this time last year. :) I have all of Buu and Fusion through to the end, and now I'm getting Frieza, and I have Garlic Jr. on DVD because it was cheap. And because it's Krillin's chance to shine. :D But don't worry, Meph, I'm in the same boat - haven't seen Saiyan Saga or anything between Garlic and Buu. I get the feeling I'm missing out on some of the best DBZ yet...

I'm totally into Yu-Gi-Oh ccg too, but just got a pile of DBZ cards for entering the Anime Insider masquerade at Wizard World. Good lord, the rules are complex! I'd start playing but I don't think I understand it. And the last thing I need to do is spend money searching for particular cards like I do with YGO...omg I've spent way too much on that...

Costume update: shirt done!!! Dende is inches from being 100% done! Just some prosthetics to paint (this weekend when it's cool enough I can open the windows to vent the fumes) and gloves to stitch, but the rest is done done DONE! The shirt looks so great, I ran around my apartment giggling all night when I finished it. I'd throw up a pic but it's hard to get a full-body shot when I'm alone with the digicam. I'd need help.

AND I got my Dragonball today. ROCK ON!!!!!

kdthompson
08-21-2003, 01:48 AM
Yes, Yugi boy...The YGO CCG is wonderful! *giggles in her Pegasus moment*

Sorry about that...I don't play the game, but I collect the cards. I want to kill my brother for taking the Trunks card I had and bending it up. It was a promo card too!

Anywho...yeah...I've got some cards. They're all in my messenger bag; havent bothered to get a note book for 'em because I have < 100.

ER...yeah...anyway... number18, I remember watching a fansub and doing the exsact same thing for the cell saga. Never mind the fact that I was cursing at cell half the time...but yeah...I was right there with ya during middle school. And because I have no money, I'm not touching the 'what to buy' issue...

CapsuleCorp
08-24-2003, 12:24 AM
I very nearly posted the picture I took tonight of my makeup test, but it freaks even me out. :) My only dissatisfaction is that the ears stick outwards a little too much, I look more like Yoda than Dende. But everything else is a go, the antennae are perfect, and the paint matches my shirt. Three days till I leave for DragonCon!!! I'm wearing the costume Saturday, I'll make sure to take a ton of pics to show off! And I'm wearing chibi Goku in the parade to please the kiddies, we'll see how that goes...

kdthompson
08-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Wai! Do tell me about those antennae when you get a chance, after you post the pics!

Oh, and there is much sadness; I won't be attending NekoCon after all. I can't get a ride, plus the budget is a bit too tight. Sorry!

Catpaw
08-24-2003, 08:59 PM
My sis is gonna be Videl, I'll try to get my mom to be ChiChi...

CapsuleCorp
08-25-2003, 10:15 PM
I actually cheaped out on the antennae and did them using Crayola Model Magic. Someday I may mold and cast latex versions, which would actually bounce and bobble and move when I did, but the ones I have are fine for now. Soft to the touch and weigh next to nothing, and the spirit gum does hold them on tightly. I was afraid it wouldn't.

Just having teeth issues. Sea-bond isn't holding them onto my teeth quite like it promises. :P