PDA

View Full Version : Stupid TokyoPop....

baku_neko
06-01-2003, 07:13 PM
I was just at their website looking at release dates when I noticed something horrible!!! THEY PUSHED BACK THE RELEASE DATE FOR GRAVITATION!!!! Argh! This pisses me of greatly since I was looking forward to it this month, but now I have to wait until August...argh...

Usagi Mylene
06-10-2003, 02:28 AM
I know the feeling....

I hate them because they take forever to release the next volume of managa. I had to wait 4 months for the new Mars managa.

I mean, I guess I understand since it is a lot of work to translate...

Rei2Rei
06-10-2003, 07:02 PM
I know how you feel..It always makes me mad when companies do that to DVD's or Manga.

I really wanna read the Gravy manga..:(

lemonygoodness
06-12-2003, 04:51 AM
Well, Gravitation actually frightens me (I've had to look at zillions of screenshots and scans and summaries because of my friends and my website) but I hate how Tokyopop can't seem to keep to its own schedule.

I wish they would stop being so overly optimistic when they announce release dates. If they would only announce a date a month behind their actual schedule, and then push it up when they got it done early... it would be a fun fun psychological trick. I would be all happy every single month because they would not only be on time, but EARLY.

I also kind of wish they'd maybe stop taking on so many new projects, and instead finish the ones they've started. It would be so cool if they'd put out a new volume of every title (excluding ones like Parakiss where they have to wait for the next volume to come out in Japan) every month. Then they could pick up a new title as each one ends. And that way it wouldn't seem so much like they're stretching themselves too thin, and they probably wouldn't have to delay so freaking much.

Yeah, anyway. Stupid Tokyopop.

Vinya
06-12-2003, 05:37 AM
What? You mean the first album release date is being delayed? TO AUGUST?! NANI?!

Usagi Mylene
06-13-2003, 12:28 AM
I want them to redo the very first one's they put out and correct some of the translations.

I'm happy they re did Maigc Knight Rayeart but what about St. Tail and Sailor Moon?

AND MY STUPID WALDENBOOKS DIDN"T GET IT"S SHIPMENT!!!

I want under a glass moon

lemonygoodness
06-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Yeah, it would be nice if they would go back and fix their past mistakes. Especially since there's a bigger market for manga now than when they started, and now that manga readers are a little more discriminating in the quality of the product.

I'm not much of a Sailor Moon fan anymore, but I might be interested in the manga version if it were translated more faithfully. I mean... "Bunny" *shudders*

I also wish they would pick up more titles that I like. *pouts* Because at least they do a decent job translating (well, now they do) and they don't charge as much as some of the other publishers. But instead they put out "The Skull Man" @_@;; Oh well, I guess this way I don't spend as much money.

baku_neko
06-15-2003, 01:51 AM
Now I'm mad again. >_<

I heard they bought the rights to translate the manga version of Escaflowne, I got all excited so I went to their site to check it out, I was disapointed to find out they licensed the worst of the two versions out there. The art is ugly in my opinion, and there's too much guymelef fighting, not enough character development. Ugh, I wished they licensed the Fantasy DX version instead...stupid TokyoPop...they don't know what they're doing...

lemonygoodness
06-15-2003, 03:00 AM
Most of the people I know who like Escaflowne like the one Tokyopop is putting out. But then I have no idea if they've been exposed to the other version. And you never know... if The Vision of Escaflowne sells well they may decide to cash in on the name recognition and do the other version as well.

I'm hoping that's kind of their strategy. They've got this incredible range of subject matter going on with their current projects, and I think that it must be at least partly to see what kind of stuff the market wants. They seem to have already discovered that magical girl stuff is a staple, Clamp stuff sells, girl-meets-boy shoujo sells, and that any title that is also being put out in anime form will have its fans.

I'm also hoping that Kodocha, Marmalade Boy, and Paradise Kiss sell well enough that they'll get other titles by those authors. I love Partner (Miho Obana) and Random Walk (Wataru Yoshizumi). I haven't been able to get my hands on Nana or Gokinjo Monogatari or any of Ai Yazawa's other works yet, but have heard great things about them and really want to read them. I also hope they get more titles that don't depend on magic or fantasy for the plot. I mean, I love those, but I really want to see stuff like Parfait Tic and Ichigo Channel. Or better yet, Parfait Tic and Ichigo Channel. And GALS! And lots of other stuff...

Blah blah blah. I have now finished boring everyone with my assessment of what Tokyopop should buy rights to next. :D

Kataiya
06-15-2003, 08:57 AM
oi...personally, I think Tokyopop is the best with release dates. Usually every month or two the next one comes out. Compared to viz, which I have been waiting more Video Girl Ai, for what, 2 years now? and even Dark Horse, who I have to wait a half a year for for the next blade of the immortal to come out, TokyoPop is alot quicker. And you never know, they licesned two different versions of Cowboy Bebop manga, shooting star and regular, so they might license the other Escaflowne as well. I think its actually good when they do push back release dates sometimes because there's so many manga I want but I dont have alot of money. So I can catch up when they push back dates. And on another note, when they said Samurai Deeper Kyo was coming out in August, why did they have it in June? They are a lil screwy, I will admit that

Babbit_Chan
06-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Like Kataiya said, compared to Viz, it's bliss only waiting that long. Look at how long it took Viz to release the Ranma volumes - they're not even done!!

lemonygoodness
06-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah, at least Tokyopop is better than Viz. And at least Viz doesn't put out a whole lot of stuff I *have* to read.

Because I would burn down all buildings associated with their company if they kept me waiting too long. XD

But Tokyopop could still be a lot better. Of course, I have to say it has improved immensely even in the last year or so. They haven't got it together completely yet, but I guess any progress is good.

baku_neko
06-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I guess TokyoPop is better than Viz when it ocmes to releasing stuff...I'm still waiting for the next Banana Fish, which I think will never happen... -_-

Babbit_Chan
06-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Despite TokyoPop's lower points in business, I'm glad that they're starting to publish Korean manga. Now THAT's creative.

baku_neko
06-15-2003, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I'm reading Demon Diary and INVU right now! And I love them both.

vyrax778
06-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Im going to go yell at them at Expo! its been bumped back twice!

rainbowflavored
07-04-2003, 11:05 PM
i hate viz. it took them 10+ years to release 22 volumes of ranma. they have 16 to go. GAHHHHHHHHH. i stopped buying viz graphic novels because they were expensive. 15.95-16.95 for a novel? no way. and the graphic design of viz novels is so ugly. i cant stand the way the new ranma and inyuyasha novels look. im annoyed tokyopop pushed gravitation's release date, but compared to viz...geez.

Babbit_Chan
07-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Rainbow Flavored: I know how you feel - can you imagine my pain when I realized, all the report card money that I worked hard for since the fourth grade went to 11 years of slow translation and eventual resizing of books? Absolute rampage=what happened after that. I was pleased with the faster publications of Inuyasha, but what they did with Ranma... I only stick with Viz because of Rumiko Takahashi... But then again I'm not sure I'd want her with TokyoPop either, for some reason.

Usagi Mylene
07-06-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by baku_neko
Yeah, I'm reading Demon Diary and INVU right now! And I love them both.

I just got INVU and I love it. I finally for Under a Glass moon. Have you guys read that one yet? I swear my waldenbooks is soooo slow in getting their new stuff. I only put up with it 'cuz I have their card and I get points for stuff I buy. They finaly got Newtype so that's a plus too....

Babbit_Chan
07-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Usagi:

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13680

^--- Under the Glass Moon thread XD

Ron26
07-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by baku_neko
I was just at their website looking at release dates when I noticed something horrible!!! THEY PUSHED BACK THE RELEASE DATE FOR GRAVITATION!!!! Argh! This pisses me of greatly since I was looking forward to it this month, but now I have to wait until August...argh...

I'd rather go for Viz instead/Shonen Jump, like
One Piece
Get Backers
Naruto
Yu Gi Oh etc...

Beware_UY7
07-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Well, even though Gravitation is taking forever, I now know it's well worth it. At AX03, Tokyopop's booth was passing out free manga sneak-peaks, with exerpts from the manga that they'll be releasing this summer... and there were a few pages from Gravitation in there that made me squeel with delight. *Saa, unlike the animation, the charas LOOK their ages... Shuichi isn't as much of a twink!*

And we'll all be happy when it comes out, and then return to spitefulness knowing that Tokyopop wouldn't in a million years publish Gravitation remix... saa, and that's why I love Ebay.

Karasu
07-23-2003, 04:29 AM
Oooohhh. I had no idea they pushed back the release date. *laughs* That's probably why I can't find the manga anywhere!! Alright I'm back now.

I'm just glad that Tokyopop is releasing it at all. I don't think any other company would. I can only be thankful, and patient. In the end, I will win!

Koumori
07-23-2003, 05:40 AM
I'm sure they don't push back release dates just to annoy you. ;) In all probability the books just aren't ready yet, and you wouldn't want to read books that were badly translated/edited, would you?

Karasu
07-25-2003, 03:24 AM
August my foot!!! I went to the bookstore today and picked up volume one of Gravitation. *beams with happiness* Tokyopop are such kidders!!

BTW, must have volume 2 now!!!! ^_^

Studmaster
07-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
I'm sure they don't push back release dates just to annoy you. ;) In all probability the books just aren't ready yet, and you wouldn't want to read books that were badly translated/edited, would you?

Well....That has already happened with Tokyopop sadly. One only has to look at Initial D for the most glaring case of this. There are many other cases of Tokyopop making mistakes with its Manga. Now granted some of the changes like Pop Culture reference, your mileage may vary. However, others like changing important lines, and even the omission of some lines are pretty unacceptable. Granted, this may not be the case with Gravitation (It's only been delayed a month), but Tokyopop does have a history.

hoshikage
07-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Koumori

Sadly, I must agree with Studmaster; frankly, I couldn't care less about Tokyopop's release dates, I despise them because they seem to be utterly incapable of translating things correctly. In some cases, it's so inaccurate that they might as well be writing their own version - and that makes me absolutely seethe, because it implies a tremendous disrespect for the original artist's work. Not to mention that people who don't know Japanese are getting this stuff and they have no way of knowing how inaccurate it is.

Translators, in my opinion, have a responsibility to the original artist and the original work, and Tokyopop apparently can't be bothered to treat either with respect. I personally will never spend money on their products to support them as long as this practice continues.