PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Tokyo Japan

anime_papasan
12-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Hello. My daughter is very much into anime, manga, cosplay, and I want to know where to go in Toyko to buy her some gifts. I will be there for one day. She asked me for an akatsuki cloak, some Naruto stuff maybe an anime or manga that she cant get in the US. Any ideas of where I should start my treasure hunt? I have no clue... Thanks

CPOK
12-11-2007, 03:07 AM
You will most likely want to go to a part of Tokyo called Akihabara. There are several stores there. The main 2 that you will be interested in are called Mandrake and Animate (Both are on the main street). Both of those are really easy to find. Keep in mind that those stores also speak very little to no English. between those 2 stores you should be able to find what you are after.

anime_papasan
12-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Thank you Cpok for the tips. I will try those 2 stores.

geckochan
12-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Can't be of any help sadly, but wanted to say you're a very sweet parent ^_^

GyrfalconAH64D
12-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I don't have any specific places in mind but Japan is a box full of gems. Tons of cool things to get there. Best of luck on your search!

LadiesMan217
12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
cab drivers are really nice there, go ahead and ask your cabbie if he knows of anything. they love to chat

evaunit01berser
12-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Hello. My daughter is very much into anime, manga, cosplay, and I want to know where to go in Toyko to buy her some gifts. I will be there for one day. She asked me for an akatsuki cloak, some Naruto stuff maybe an anime or manga that she cant get in the US. Any ideas of where I should start my treasure hunt? I have no clue... Thanks

break her off the narutard items and get into a real anime :)
seriously the akatsuki cloak can be aquired on ebay

allthatsgeek
12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
That was uncalled for. Now I'm generally not one to disagree with you, we usually see eye to eye on things, but this person just came in asking a question about a subject they have no knowledge of, with no biased whatsoever, trying to find a gift for someone.

YoiYoi
12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
You will most likely want to go to a part of Tokyo called Akihabara. There are several stores there. The main 2 that you will be interested in are called Mandrake and Animate (Both are on the main street). Both of those are really easy to find. Keep in mind that those stores also speak very little to no English. between those 2 stores you should be able to find what you are after.

From my experience, Akihabara was a lot more aimed at boys than girls. I wouldn't go there. From what I could see it was mostly cute girls wearing not a lot with disproportionate breasts :P Good for electrics, not good for a lot else imo.

My suggestion would be Ikekuburo - there's an Animate and a Mandarake there too but also a K Books which is an AMAZING shop full of really cheap, second hand anime stuff. (figurines, DVDs, posters, stationary, etc.) They also have a cosplay section upstairs that has loads of outfits and probably an Akutsuki cloak as well.

But yeah. Ikekuburo is very girl friendly!

Hydraskylar
12-11-2007, 05:12 PM
I haven't been to Tokyo though I really want to, but anyway, just wanna say that, wow, you are a very considerate parent. Your daughter is very lucky :)

Scortia
12-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I second Yoiyoi and say go to Ikebukuro since she's a girl. Akihabara is filled with a wonderland of disturbing male otaku goods. The K-Books and Mandarake are pretty close to one of the lines... I just can't remember which one it was.

I also suggest going to Nakano district because the Nakano Mall is an Otaku paradise with 4 floors of anime goods all in one spot. Easy to find, everything in one spot. There's lots of 'normal' goods for the regular shopper as well. :) There's a couple of cosplay shops in the mall but I don't know if they have Akatsuki cloaks. I second everyone else who suggests just getting it online anyhow. The cosplay stores tend to be rather pricey.

Terumi
12-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Everyone mentioned some great places. I agree with YoiYoi about Akihabara (There are great stores there, but it can be difficult to sift through what I'll call the "less than amazing" ones.) ; however, there is a nice little shop as you exit the Akihabara station to the left (Electric City Exit) that, if she likes any movies such by Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service - and more), has a large selection of Miyazaki merchandise in the front of the store. They also have many non Miyazaki items up front.

And this may be out of the way, but in case you end up in the area.....in Odaiba there is another cute Miyazaki shop near the large Faris Wheel (you can't miss it) down stairs in the large shopping mall right next to it. There is a mini cat shaped bus (about 5-6ft long in the front of this section) that marks the small area.

Everyone else had great suggestions and I'm sorry can't offer more help. Have fun!

Dal_Segno
12-11-2007, 08:08 PM
More of a trivial thing, but I'm gonna throw it out anyways.

If you're there on a Sunday, Harajuku (http://www.harajuku.jp/eng/index.shtml) (between Shinjuku and Shibuya) is allways a nifty sight. There are plenty of intresting sights (Meiji Shrine and Yoyogi Park to name two), but the area also has two main shopping streets, Omotesandō and Takeshita-dōri (opposite Harajuku Station). Takeshita-dori is aimed at the youth who dress in Lolita, Decora and so forth fashion; it's the place to be seen when you're young and is full of neat shops and cafes. Omotasando is aimed at the higher end, with stores like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada, etc.

At Yoyogi Park, the bridge across the train tracks, is full of Lolitas and Jrock cospalyers. But only on Sunday is it worth seeing.

I've said my peace. :P

Michi
12-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I'll add in to the chimes of Ikebukuro. If you get off at Ikebukuro Station, which is a hub, go out the Sunshine City exit and follow the signs for it. You'll pass a bright line of shops including the Sanrio Store, and the way you want to go is just to the left of the Tokyu Hands entrance. The easiest way is to go down the escalator and along the moving platforms, past Burger King, and back up another escalator. Across the street will be the aforementioned stores like K-Books. They're really hard to miss -- I think there's even a giant sign that says "ANIME". The Animate there has a really good Naruto section, though you might want to find out her favorite characters first since the selection is so wide.

More of a trivial thing, but I'm gonna throw it out anyways.

^^; He's only going to be in Tokyo one day and wants to pick up anime items for his daughter. I don't think going to Harajuku to see people dressed up would really be on the agenda...

anime_papasan
12-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks again for all the tips. Michi, thanks for the detailed directions. One big question is how easy and how far is Ikebukuro to get to from Narita airport? I have a 10 hour layover, get in at 6am and connecting flight leaves at 4pm. Will I have enough time to get to Ikebukuro and back? I pulled up the Tokyo train map on the internet and it seems pretty complicated (and possibly pretty far) to get to Ikebukuro. Any idea what time the stores open?

My daughter says she wants NARUTO SHIPPUUDEN, maybe I need to get some more details. She says she cant get it in the USA. She also wants a Lolita costume, but without her with me, I dont know if I can get her size right. Maybe if I can find the cloak it will be a successful treasure hunt.

Thanks again for the tips!

Michi
12-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Ikebukuro is indeed on the opposite side of Tokyo from where you'd arrive coming from Narita... It's not impossible to get there and back since the trains are fast, though. It's about an hour and a half or more by train from Narita Airport to Ikebukuro, so I think with 10 hours you'd have time to go there and back.

Naruto Shippuden is the name of the new anime series for Naruto. I don't know if she's referring to the current manga that reflects the anime changes, or the anime itself, though!

anime_papasan
12-12-2007, 01:35 PM
1.5 hours is a long way, but maybe it will give me a chance to see the countryside...

Naruto Shippuden - I think she is referring to both the manga and the anime. Any idea if there is anything available for me to buy her???

Thanks a million!

evaunit01berser
12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
it was a joke geek, hence the smiling laughy face

the anime and manga are rampant there, you should be able to find just about anything your daughter asked for in akihabara

iroha
12-13-2007, 06:26 AM
WARNING: severely long post ahead!

If you're taking the Narita Express into Tokyo, you've got some options:

1) Get off at Tokyo station and then go 2-3 stations north to Akihabara. Coming out of the station (Denki Gai exit) the big Radio Kaikan has a lot of used goods stores. Opposite it is Gamers, which is a big store for new products. If you turn right and go down Chuo Doori (the main street) you'll see Animate and Tora no Ana. Mandarake is on a back street, so it's harder to find. There are stores that sell cosplay - the one I know best is Cospatio, on the 5th floor of Gee Store - look down the alleys off Chuo Doori until you see a yellow sign for Gashapon. It is true that Akihabara is mostly catered toward male fans, but there is a wide selection of anime in general too.

2) If you take the Narita Express to Shinjuku, then you can either go a few stops west to Nakano or north to Ikebukuro. The Animate store in Ikebukuro is pretty good, but unless your daughter is into yaoi and BL, I don't recommend shopping at the Mandarake there. To be honest, I like the K Books' selection of used goods but it is a small store in comparison to the ones in Akihabara. If you're short on time, I don't know if I'd recommend Ikebukuro.

3) Nakano - google "Nakano Broadway" - it's a big mall located down the street from Nakano station. The first couple floors are normal stores, but the upper ones are all anime/manga shops. It's great for figures, used manga, cosplay stores, and video games. It might be kind of overwhelming if you aren't familiar with what's out there these days. But it is easier to walk around and see everything in one mall, rather than going up and down the streets in Akihabara/Ikebukuro.

4) Jump Store/Tokyo Dome:
Tokyo Dome is in the middle of town, between Tokyo and Shinjuku, so if you get off at either station, you can transfer to a line that will take you there. Get off at Suidobashi station. Tokyo Dome is a sports stadium but they have various shops. The Jump Shop is the official store for Shonen Jump, the magazine that Naruto is published in. They sell official merchandise for all the manga that appear in the magazine, and often have newer/exclusive items that you can't buy at other stores. This could be a good option for you.

**If you are planning to just buy anime DVDs or manga, you don't need to go to a special anime store. Any normal bookstore will have Naruto manga and any normal CD/DVD store (one big chain is Tsutaya) will have the DVDs. Keep in mind that Japanese DVDs are about $50 for a disc that only has 2 episodes, no subtitles, and will be formatted for Japan (Region 2) so you need a region-free player (USA is Region 1). Manga is cheap and plentiful in Japan though :)

Sorry for the super long message but you sound like you are unfamiliar with the city, and Tokyo can be difficult to navigate if you're short on time. If you can speak a little Japanese it will be very helpful, too - like asking where to go for the train to <location> or where <store name> is.

nadesico81
12-13-2007, 08:25 AM
I'll add in to the chimes of Ikebukuro. If you get off at Ikebukuro Station, which is a hub, go out the Sunshine City exit and follow the signs for it. You'll pass a bright line of shops including the Sanrio Store, and the way you want to go is just to the left of the Tokyu Hands entrance. The easiest way is to go down the escalator and along the moving platforms, past Burger King, and back up another escalator. Across the street will be the aforementioned stores like K-Books. They're really hard to miss -- I think there's even a giant sign that says "ANIME". The Animate there has a really good Naruto section, though you might want to find out her favorite characters first since the selection is so wide.

^^; He's only going to be in Tokyo one day and wants to pick up anime items for his daughter. I don't think going to Harajuku to see people dressed up would really be on the agenda...

Burger King you say? They pulled out of Japan long ago perhaps you mean Mc Donalds?

Supremeronin
12-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Actually Burger King is back, apparently! Though they haven't opened many shops yet.

I'll also, like Iroha, recommend the Shonen Jump shop at Suidobashi (I actually work in Suido')...quite a bit of Naruto stuff to buy there. :)

Michi
12-18-2007, 01:58 AM
Burger King you say? They pulled out of Japan long ago perhaps you mean Mc Donalds?

No, I meant Burger King. There is one in Ikebukuro next to Sunshine City. I go there [Ikebukuro, not Burger King!] all the time, dude, I know it's there. XD I specifically named it since it's so unique for the area. There are like 3 McDonald's near it though. :p

yoko102308
05-28-2008, 01:31 PM
They took out Burger King?? When I lived in Okinawa in 1999 they had 2 of them I think~And a McDonald's.

..I wish I could be of some help but I never got to go to Tokyo. Those 5 years in Japan were spent in Okinawa. I loved it though~I've heard the same stuff everyone else has said.

But that's really sweet to buy something for you daughter while your there~

Michi
05-28-2008, 08:38 PM
This thread is over 5 months old... Unless anime_papasan was planning his trip way in advance, I have a feeling it's already over. This is especially true since he hasn't been on the forum since December. :)

yoko102308
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
WAH--I did pay attention. I am so blonde!