PDA

View Full Version : Shuin of FFX-2

Yahiko
06-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Ei guys I need some help. I'm planning to go as Shuin from FFX-2 (the one that looks like Tidus). What do you think is the best material/ cloth to use for his costume?

thankz :)

Oshi
06-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Well... I used pleather for the shorts and the bottom & zipper borders for the shirt, as well as the middle belt part and straps... though, if you're new to sewing, I wouldn't use it, it's kinda tough to work with ^^;;
However, if you do choose to use it; it looks good!

For everything else, I used good ol, easy-to-work-with, 100% cotton quilting solids. heh.

For the checkered sleeves, I slacked off and used a sharpie marker on red fabric, but I'm gonna remake them using interwoven strips of fabric

for the shoulder guards and the arm guard, I used a thin packing foam that I had laying around, covered in fabric...

Uhh... yeah. Any other details you wanna know about, please do ask ^^;

Catatonic_Van
06-02-2003, 09:22 PM
For the base fabric of the outfit two things come to mind.

The first is a rather regional fabric, but Joanns carries something called waterproofing that is used for hunting gear. It's with the camouflage. If your local Joanns has camo, they should have it. It looks like pleather but is thinner and easier to sew. It's also a matte color so you won't look like one of those super shiny pvc vinyl Tidus'. It comes in black, grey, and olive. You'll need to interface it in certain spots however as it doesn't have much body to it. Use a fabric adhesive and some non fusible interfacing. I have never tried ironing the stuff, so I couldn't tell you if ironing on fusible interfacing works.

There's also a fabric called chintz. It's a thin cotton fabric with a glaze on it that makes it look like vinyl. It needs to be interfaced completely though and you need to use silk needles and pins to sew it. The problem is it's hard to find in large quantities. Try looking at the flatfold tables in Joanns because I don't believe we're carrying (yes I do work there if you hadn't guessed already) any chintz in our home dec department this season.

Good luck.

Yahiko
06-02-2003, 11:06 PM
thanks...hhmmm...how about the weird red colar thingy?

to oshi: do you have pics of yourself in the Shuin costume? :)

Oshi
06-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Yup
http://oshi.drwilco.net/Pics/Cons/Animazement2003/
All the pics in there are of my Shuuin, except one. Heh.

Ayana
06-16-2003, 12:53 AM
I congratulate you for wanting to make a Shuin costume, because that is awesome.

Oshi - your costume is really good, how long did it take you to make it?

JacksUsername
06-16-2003, 03:48 AM
wow, oshi, very cool indeed :) nice work!

i was thinking of originally doing a shuin costume for otakon, but i'm trying to go with a tidus one because i've yet to make it...all your suggestions for the shuin costume are really helpful though, and I'll be sure to check back to this thread when I get around to it ^_^

Chronoslider
06-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Wow I am happy I came across this post. I was intending on making this costume for Otakon and I would have gone around calling myself Tidus (NO Wonder every time I searched the internet for FFX2 tidus I couldn't find anything.

This is going to be my first costume and hopefully it'll lok pretty cool. I was thinking about using Vinyl for most if it.

RealizeDOP
06-16-2003, 07:45 PM
^^ This is a picture of my friend Cody and I as Shuin and Lenne~ I like how he made the sleeves, he used ribbon and did like a weaving technique. : )

Kamui Motoaki
06-16-2003, 08:13 PM
wow. . thats a good Shuin Carolina. .
*is also planning to make a shuuin. . * LoL

RealizeDOP
06-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Oooh Realllyy?? How coool!!!!!! For what con?

Chronoslider
06-16-2003, 10:00 PM
I was just thinking about making the sword too. does anyone have a link to a clear picture of Shuin's blue sword in and out of the sheeth.

Thankies

Troppy
06-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Welp, here I go, endorsing a character I dislike... XD

A good friend of mine has a Shuin shrine (yes, a shrine this early...hooyah,) with about a million screenshots of Shuin, the sword, and about every angle your minds can think up.

http://voiceacting.co.uk/~shuin

do NOT abuse the Shuin privelages. No direct linking, no putting the pics up at cosplay databases without permission/credit/whatever else he asks for...be kind. and you're welcome in advance.

Chronoslider
06-16-2003, 10:33 PM
thank you so much for the link Wowwie thats a lot of pics

Chronoslider
06-18-2003, 10:39 PM
I think I am gonna try to make the sword out of a solid piece of wood. My pap said Ash is a good hard wood that wouldn't be too heavy. What do you guys think.

schalke
06-25-2003, 09:19 AM
me too i used to plan to make his costume but for a sudden glimpse on baralai...i changed my mind and decided on doing baralai....

hope to see your Shuuin costume Yahiko!!! Goodluck!!!

:bouncer:

Chronoslider
06-26-2003, 09:55 PM
just curious but does anyone know where X belt the is on his pants connects to on the top and the bottom

Miss Valentine
07-22-2003, 11:30 AM
My friend is working on a Shuin costume for Kazecon and Anime Reactor. It was sweet of him since I'm planning on going as Lenne. To me, I would think that the X belt would connect to the belt loops at the top rim and the at the bottom, they seem to be, "beltitized" to the side of the shorts. They don't go all the way around to the front but as far as that, I would just guess on where the ends well... end. :D