PDA

View Full Version : Youmacon 2008 - Friday, October 30th - Sunday, November 2nd, 2008

Chibik3r0
12-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Youmacon 2008 dates have been set for Thursday, October 30th, 2008 - Sunday, November 2nd, 2008! A con on Halloween should be interesting.

The Youmacon website has been updated for 2008: http://www.youmacon.com/

The hotel is also open for bookings! The new hotel looks very nice, right across from a mall (good for food!) and the room rate is $97/night: http://www.youmacon.com/location.yc

(ERGH I put the wrong date in the subject line. Is it possible for a moderator to edit it? It changed in the thread but not the Youmacon forum)

Soy Sauce
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Reserved rooms already. XD

Sala
02-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Huh. I imagine they will lose a lot of their younger crowd to trick-or-treating.

While a con on Halloween seems like it could be fun, most of us are dressed up anyways so it's not really an incentive, per se...

I'll be there - at least on Saturday. :)

4ng31
02-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Reserved rooms already. XD

Did you have to pay the total when reserving your room? I remember trying to book online, and they said you have to pay at billing time, in which I lawled at and closed the page.

Chibik3r0
02-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Did you have to pay the total when reserving your room? I remember trying to book online, and they said you have to pay at billing time, in which I lawled at and closed the page.

Personally, I booked my room as soon as it opened and have yet to see anything on my credit card from my bill in January... Maybe it'll be on February's bill but I don't recall hearing anything regarding my card being charged.

KarasaurusRexxx
02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
I love trick-or-treating, but i'm definetely still coming. I'll give candy at the con or something. XD

Dark Shinigami
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I heard that you pay when you check in

Uchihacest69
02-09-2008, 01:43 PM
i think im the only one not liking the halloween idea.

Besides conventions, halloween is the one time a year where i get to put on a freaky weird costume and have fun dicking around with my friends. i'm 19 years old and still trick or treat. i go to halloween costume parties. the 8-9 times a year i go to cons, the whole thing is a costume party. It's like being at a con over that time takes the one time a year away from me. i think its a horrible idea and me and my friends will not be in attendence this year.

plus, Dearborn scares me. My Dad lives there.....

Sirene
02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I do a lot of stuff on Halloween, too. I usually organize holiday section parties for band, go trick-or-treating, go to a dozen Halloween parties, and generally geek out. It's my favorite holiday, and I am sort of sad that I won't be able to do a lot of that this year.

However, as Youmacon is considered the "biggest" anime con in Michigan, it's worth it. I see my friends every day. And frankly, hanging out with Youmacon attendees in costume > hanging out with my friends in costume, because the majority of my friends don't like to dress up anymore.

For me, it's worth it. Youmacon is something I've been looking forward to since last year's con ended. I'd go no matter what weekend it's on. :3

Chibi Lenne
02-24-2008, 10:28 PM
First time going to Youmacon, going to drive down from North of Toronto ^_^v

Vessa-Sushi
03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
WOO! Canadian Invasion for the win!

Youmacon is a lot of fun, and they are planning Halloween stuff this year, as far as I can tell. I think I might turn the Break the Ice into a scary con-story telling thing or something this year ^.^

~Vessa

Chibi Lenne
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
WOO! Moonie Invasion for the win!

fixed your post X3

though, the only thing is some of group won't be able to make it. I don't think our driver is too keen on taking minors across the boarder. *note to self: ask stillvisions who he rents his car from* none of our local rental places will let us take a car out of country

Bahzi
03-11-2008, 04:50 AM
I'll be there!

Also, Sugoicon has annouced their dates....Sugoicon 2008 will be the same weekend as Youmacon, they must really LOVE shooting themselves in the foot.

Sugoi's addition of a skit competition had things looking up for that convention, but they're probably going to loose a lot of attendees to Youma.

Icey
03-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Also, Sugoicon has annouced their dates....Sugoicon 2008 will be the same weekend as Youmacon, they must really LOVE shooting themselves in the foot.

Now let's hope Reactor doesn't date stomp as well like they did last year.

I'll be there as well. Booked my room a few days ago. As far as the Halloween thing goes, I really don't mind. I guess it depends on what you do every year. Most of the people I would normally go to a party with will be at Youmacon, and even if they decide not to go, seeing people I rarely see because of distance > people I see all the time.

Shiroake
03-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Booked my room as well already. I don't really do anything for halloween except bum around downtown in costume and hand out candy to little kids at businesses that aren't my own (haha, we live in the woods so no little kids come visiting anyway).

So Youmacon > better than Halloween for me

Huzzah!

ImNewHere
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I'll be there!

Sugoi's addition of a skit competition had things looking up for that convention, but they're probably going to loose a lot of attendees to Youma.
They lost me even though it is the closest con to where I live other than Gencon, and is definitely the closest anime con. I think it was stupid of them to put it on EXACTLY the same weekend Youmacon is, and I know of at least 3 others who will not be attending because of that. I just booked my room at Youmacon and I got the days off from work too, so I am set.

Ohh, when booking a room they use the card to hold it. They charge nothing until checkout on a credit card.

321stars
04-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I should be in attendance this year, and it will be my first Youmacon. I was swayed by my Artist Alley buddies, and it's two hours closer to me than Sugoicon is. Should be epic!

Ulquiorra_Fangs
04-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Im goin to my first con this year, and i chose Youmacon ^_^

Hey, if anyone is willing to help me with an assignment there, i need a techie to assist in the setup and other such things of microphones and such. I wanted to cover the con for my favorite podcast (not allowed to say) If you're interested, please email me at:
Vrykolakas314159@yahoo.com.

Any volunteering would be extremely helpful thanks!!! :toothy:

-Uryuujin 黒牙

Lady
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
I wanted to cover the con for my favorite podcast (not allowed to say) If you're interested, please email me at:
Vrykolakas314159@yahoo.com. 黒牙

Have you cleared this with the conchair? If you haven't, I would definitely look into doing so. You might even be able to nab a press badge. Last year a fellow filmed portions of the con for a school project, and because the con knew he would be there, staffers were able to help him get some great footage (including a private interview with a guest!)

Youmacon is still small enough to be a good first time con, but big enough that you'll be able to find lots of things to do and see. I hope you have a great time!

4ng31
06-21-2008, 04:35 AM
Just for the record...you guys were right about the hotel...

It was the last part about payment that i didn't read clearly...my bad :p

Tyblat
06-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I'll be there for the 3rd year in a row :D

Yea, I reserved my room back in like March. The pricing for that hotel is amazinggg. We're going to end up sticking 5/6 people in a 4 person room xD muahaha.

LittleJezzie
06-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I really want to go, but I might not be able to because my bff is getting married a few weeks before and we are having a Vegas Holiday! I'm trying to convince my husband that Youmacon will be the most fun ever, but so far it seems only somewhat likely that we will attend. :/ Which sucks because I'm definitely in withdrawal after ACEN!

Yumei
06-27-2008, 12:37 PM
I'll be at Youmacon....already got my room booked and Badge paid for! I usually always end up working on Halloween which sucks cause Halloween my favorite. So I'm not really missing anything and by going to the con on Halloween I finally get Halloween off and can celebrate and enjoy it....Yay

Kairikate52
07-23-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm excited! I'll be going with my friend Katelyn, we will both be cosplaying from Kingdom Hearts. I will be Kairi, and she has not decided yet. I might also cosplay Rukia from bleach too...

So I have a question. We are figuring costs, and I am such an ameteur at hotels. I was wondering what the cheapest I could get a room from Saturday [nov.1] to sunday [2nd], it doesn't matter about the beds, we can always bring sleeping bags for extra people and such.

Can I get a few pointers here???
thanks--- X33

Bahzi
07-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm excited! I'll be going with my friend Katelyn, we will both be cosplaying from Kingdom Hearts. I will be Kairi, and she has not decided yet. I might also cosplay Rukia from bleach too...

So I have a question. We are figuring costs, and I am such an ameteur at hotels. I was wondering what the cheapest I could get a room from Saturday [nov.1] to sunday [2nd], it doesn't matter about the beds, we can always bring sleeping bags for extra people and such.

Can I get a few pointers here???
thanks--- X33

From what I understand, the main hotel, the Hyatt Regency Dearborn, is the only official con hotel, and there will not be an overflow hotel, as there aren't any other hotels in the immediate vicinity, they're all about a half mile away from what I have been told.

That said, the con rate for the Hyatt is $97 a night. Tax is 14%, so that's about $110 for the night. Most people just room share to cut costs, putting anywhere from 4 to 6 or sometimes even more (I have known people to sleep in the bath tub :P ) in a double bed room.

If you are looking to room share with someone who already has reserved a room, Youmacon's forums would be best for that, they have a board specifically for that purpose: http://www.youmacon.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=cc5bcdc079fbd9961b65619ea4a361be

I think average costs when sharing a room with people for one night is around $20-30, so that's what I usually plan on, less if you room cram.

Kairikate52
07-24-2008, 12:41 PM
From what I understand, the main hotel, the Hyatt Regency Dearborn, is the only official con hotel, and there will not be an overflow hotel, as there aren't any other hotels in the immediate vicinity, they're all about a half mile away from what I have been told.

That said, the con rate for the Hyatt is $97 a night. Tax is 14%, so that's about $110 for the night. Most people just room share to cut costs, putting anywhere from 4 to 6 or sometimes even more (I have known people to sleep in the bath tub :P ) in a double bed room.

If you are looking to room share with someone who already has reserved a room, Youmacon's forums would be best for that, they have a board specifically for that purpose: http://www.youmacon.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=cc5bcdc079fbd9961b65619ea4a361be

I think average costs when sharing a room with people for one night is around $20-30, so that's what I usually plan on, less if you room cram.

Thanks a lot for the help! The only problem with me sharing a room with other people, is I'm only 14 and my mom is really not comfortable with that, if you know what I mean. I don't mind it, but my mom does.

Thanks so much again!

AVAAntares
07-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Thanks a lot for the help! The only problem with me sharing a room with other people, is I'm only 14 and my mom is really not comfortable with that, if you know what I mean. I don't mind it, but my mom does.

Thanks so much again!

I'm assuming you're traveling with a chaperon (since it'd be illegal otherwise :p )... Perhaps your mom/chaperon/whoever is staying with you would be open to sharing a room with another parent? You could try posting on the Youmacon forums; there's usually a room share thread. Maybe you can find another single adult/child going to the con, and arrange to split the cost of the room two ways. That would be much less chaotic than trying to cram into a room with eight people you've never met.

Failing that, maybe you could find a responsible older congoer to stay with. My sister and I have acted as in situ guardians for a friend's teenage daughter at a couple of cons. Maybe you could find someone from your area who is driving that direction and meet them beforehand, so your mom could decide whether or not she'd be comfortable staying with them or sending you with them (if she's not going to the con).

Just some thoughts... :)

Capt_Tiff
07-30-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm going as ryuk from Death note anyone else wanna get to gather and hang out there? Oh it'll probably be on saturday seeing how my ride has college classes on friday

akuriko
09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I will be attending my first YoumaCon this year. ^w^ Already registered and am booked at the hotel with some friends. Way excited to see all you cool people there! X3

linkandlink
09-23-2008, 06:23 PM
A con on Halloween awsome i'm sort of skiping halloween to go to a convention it going to be fun i'm going to pay when i get to the door with my brother

Zaid
09-26-2008, 06:36 AM
They've also got VIP Executive Suites for booking available at 199 a night. Which if you consider how big they are, about 3-4 rooms in size. Theyre alot of fun to have if you have a big crowd. My groups looking at 7-9 people, and we're paying about a 100 total each. Which isn't bad for 3 nights and a room of that caliber.

patrickbooya
09-26-2008, 09:12 PM
I booked my room around Febuary/March of last year lol
Pre registered Yesterday

working on my cosplay now.

It's going to be a good year for youmacon!