PDA

View Full Version : A Giant Death Note notebook

Edward_Elric911
12-30-2007, 04:32 AM
I've been playing around with this in my head for some time, but i'm note exactly sure of where to start, it has to be big enough to cover my body (and i'm a shorty, only 5'1") as well as have flippable pages people can write in, but i need to somewhat see while i'm walking! lol. It also has to be able to fit into a trunk of a car, so, any suggestions?

phantomthief
12-30-2007, 04:52 AM
... So it has to be over 5'1 but able to fit in the trunk of a car...

You may want to rethink this slightly. (Maybe only cover your top half?) Afterwards, check the prop-board and see what they can do ^.~

~Ari-chan

Schuldig_
12-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Hmm. It probably shouldn't be over 5"1 as head and legs should be free to move. From neck to lower waist would be an option; that way it'd at least fit in the trunk of a decent-sized car.

As for material - cardboard is light, but will break as one as much looks at it (and we want it to be light, right?). Thin plywood might work; it's easy to handle, doesn't weigh much but is rather sturdy. I'm still trying to think of how to get you "into" the book, as I'd assume the easiest and most mobility-friendly way would be to more or less make holes for the arms on the sides of the book and a hole for your head in the middle. Then the problem is "only" 1) getting the book to open and 2) getting the pages to stick. Hmm. That one will require some more thinking.

edo_oniichan
12-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Maybe what you could do (I'm not really a professional about this, but I have an idea) is do sort of a two-piece thing. I agree with what's said above, with materials and like, but the design seems difficult.

You should make it smaller that 5' 1, if you ever want to walk around. Definitely keep it so your head can pop out the top, and your legs protrude from the bottom (or at least down to the knees, so you're not hopping like some sort of bird) .

What I mean by two-piece is that you have one main section that doesn't flip open, where your body goes. A big box, pretty much, with arm and leg holes, and a hole for your head at the top. This would be the basis for the second "piece" - the flipping pages and cover.

For the pages, you could do either big pieces of paper, or thin pieces of plywood. Just a few at most (unless you're showing up to some huge anime con like Anime Expo, where you might need a little more) . For the cover, use the same material as you used for the body. If you want the Death Note to keep closed as you walk around, you could glue on a ribbon with velcro or snaps to contain the pages.

I'm not a pro at this, but I've seen people do "giant" designs (one of my friends went as The Gate from FMA), and it seems that's the way to do it. I'm really not sure about materials and the whole "how do I put it together?" part, but I hope this helps.

Edward_Elric911
12-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Okay, how about this... Leave out materials for a second and focus on size. Possibly i could make it smaller than i am, so my head and legs pop out, but keeping my arms to the sides of my body, however, having enough room inside to move my arms in case i need to move the book to avoid obstacles, because although i don't mind my head and feet sticking out, i'd rather not have my arms sticking out as well, and i'm used to restricted movement in a costume (done pleanty of them >.o)

DeathCow
12-31-2007, 12:46 AM
I thought about this at one point but I dropped in favor of other cosplays. The version I'd thought of was a simple big cardboard box base, and then take thicker cardboad display boards to make the cover, then take oaktag and use that as the pages themselves.

怪物304
12-31-2007, 03:24 AM
hmm...how about having the pages at your back? that is your front is facing out from the back of the book. that way you can many pages in the book for people to write on. then the back you can use some kind of black material that allows you to see through to cover up the cardboard? do i make sense? xD

Hiryuu
12-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Lol you guys are so silly! No cardboard is needed. Get something at the store called Pellon (it's a heavy interfacing) and some felt. Use the pellon as the base structure, and cover it with black felt and do white felt for the letters. You can then put huge pieces of paper into the binding with hot glue or something, but you would want to do that once you get to the con. Pellon folds up real easy, and just has to be left out for an hour or so to regain shape!

pooker
12-31-2007, 03:54 PM
You could stay on the cheap side and use cardboard with string to hold it together. :p

helpmegetpissed
12-31-2007, 04:11 PM
for the case use plastic sheeting...

get 4 piece of sheeting.
hinge 2 of them horizontally and then just do the regual book binding..Then you able to take off the binding part and then just fold over the other two piece over for easy moving...

Neurotic Nocturne
12-31-2007, 09:03 PM
If i was doing the cosplay, I'd put my arms outside of the death note, but since you don't want to, you might want to wear a harness, to hold it on you, and then cut wholes in the sides of the death note, and then cover them from the inside with a sort of material, so that you have the option to have your hands outside of the note at one point or another. Of course, you probably won't need it, presuming you have a dedicated handler who'll help you.

Neurotic Nocturne
12-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Another way to do it would to be the spine of the book, so that you can have more mobility and view, also, this way, if your hands stuck out of the death note, they could move the death note around, presuming you have the rest of the book in front of you.

Edward_Elric911
12-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Lol you guys are so silly! No cardboard is needed. Get something at the store called Pellon (it's a heavy interfacing) and some felt. Use the pellon as the base structure, and cover it with black felt and do white felt for the letters. You can then put huge pieces of paper into the binding with hot glue or something, but you would want to do that once you get to the con. Pellon folds up real easy, and just has to be left out for an hour or so to regain shape!

Hmm.. I'll look into that one, considering I do have a LOT of felt at home that goes unused.

helpmegetpissed
12-31-2007, 11:26 PM
try to add some wheels for you wont have to carry all the weight yourself.

Edward_Elric911
01-01-2008, 05:48 PM
I can make some wood dollies to help :3 I'll just take it off of them for photos xD

SpiffyNerd
01-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Pellon is a brand of interfacing.

And no way is Pellon interfacing, even the heavy stuff, going to hold up the weight of something that large.

If I were you, I'd put you in the spine of the book and have the book go from armpits to somewhere around my knees. I'd make the book out of wood or insulation foam (cardboard can get really easily dented) (there's a thread on the Props/Accessories forum about insulation foam and how to strengthen it). I'd cover the whole book cover in black vinyl (because I'd think a Death Note would be leatherbound, a real one anyway, and vinyl is a cheaper alternative). Then I'd use a silver fabric marker to write the 'Death Note' on the cover. I'd use posterboard for the pages, possibly teastained. To keep the pages in the book, I'd punch holes in them and ziptie them through the spine.

In addition, I'd have you wear a long-sleeved black shirt and black pants/shoes to help give the illusion that you were actually in the book. I'd put straps on the spine to keep the book on your shoulders. I might also pad the inside of the spine to keep you a little more comfortable, because you -will- be bumped into.

But that's just if I were you. ;D

Edward_Elric911
01-01-2008, 11:20 PM
hmm... well, i used to build furry costumes perhaps I'll apply some of my techniques to it Possibly using a wired frame like I would with the heads, The only thing is, I'll have to borrow my sister's truck in order to transport it as i won't be able to stow it in a trunk. Pages will be easily attached and removed as needed, and i'll be able to fit inside at the spine. Cost won't be too much as I have established accounts with some material companies. I could stretch Vinyl over it and such. I could reinforce it with foam and use dollies to help me walk while wearing it. As well, I know how to make harnesses so it won't like, flop on my body, lol xD

Mugiwara_Shojo
01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
I would use plywood and make a box that would go to the bottom of the waist, and the bottom of the neck, and to the armpits. To get into it, there would be 2 halves and you would close it with some latches. Then Use multiple posterboards and have a plywood cover and connect it to the main body with some hinges. Does this help?

angelzxdemonz
01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
hmm, it's a fun idea :D

but your problem with sticking it in the trunk... I made 2 pairs of 5'5 and 6'0 wings for afest, and we had no problem sticking it in the trunk. they were in at an angle (i have a RAV4 though)

also, since youre a walking deathnote, you can make it cover only to your knees, making it shorter...

or, like we did on the day of the convention(too much stuff in the trunk) we stuck them on top of the car after wrapping it in canvas :D

sorry if i mentioned anything said before, i sort of skimmed xD

Edward_Elric911
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I think i'm going to build it like i do with the furry costumes (Expample, if you've seen those full body costumes at like the disney parks and stuff) I can make it lightweight, though not incredibly easy to transfer, but like i said, my sis has a truck with a nice big bed I can put it in. I'm also gonna install a mini AC system into it so i don't look like i just got out of a pool when i get out of it. As for a Chaperon, already have one, so that's cleared away already. Thanks for the suggestions :3