PDA

View Full Version : -When Is Enought, To Much-

Xx Lulu xX
09-08-2002, 08:12 PM
I just finished replying to a thread about what ur parents think....and i was just wondering when do us Cosplayers think that its time to give up cosplay? I for example think you should go untill you cant go anymore..but some people say oh once i hit this age, i'm gonna quit it..., so what do you think?

scandia
09-08-2002, 08:29 PM
When it interferes with other aspects of your daily life where: you refuse to eat in order to not gain weight to fit in your costume, you lose sleep over a costume detail, you get into trouble at work for working on your costume during company time, your family and friends do not get any other conversation topics from you, you do not buy regular clothes only costume stuff, etc.

Or when you outgrow it.

Neither of them has happened to me.

Xx Lulu xX
09-08-2002, 08:30 PM
I agree, it shouldn't consume your whole life:bouncer:

KuroBara
09-08-2002, 11:16 PM
>Or when you outgrow it.

I agree with that, hobbies do change over time. Years ago I had no idea what anime was, now I'm making ~ 3 costumes / year, and have been to 5 cons in 2 years. I don't see an end to my cosplaying in the near future, but I don't see myself as the 82 - year - old Rikku either. I'll be too busy making my grandchildren's costumes ^_^

makonurikoryoko
09-08-2002, 11:30 PM
lol yeah I think once I cant do cosplay, well... look bad cosplaying hehe I'll be making my kids costumes all the time and stuff ^^

Koumori
09-09-2002, 02:05 PM
I'm certainly on the older side of things. I find that as I get older, there's less and less that I can wear without feeling (and doubtless looking) like an idiot, which is a shame, because it's taken me this long to get my sewing skills and enthusiasm to this point. I have to say I don't feel stupid for dressing like an anime character - I feel stupid for dressing like an 18-year-old anime character! So I try to find costumes that won't look horrifically out of place - serafuku are Right Out - and hone my makeup skills. In a few years I think I'm going to be SOL, though.. so I don't know what I'll be doing. Making costumes for other people, maybe. Unless I can find a few more anime characters who are grownups... and that is NOT easy. :)

Cassandra
09-09-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
I'm certainly on the older side of things. I find that as I get older, there's less and less that I can wear without feeling (and doubtless looking) like an idiot, which is a shame, because it's taken me this long to get my sewing skills and enthusiasm to this point. I have to say I don't feel stupid for dressing like an anime character - I feel stupid for dressing like an 18-year-old anime character! So I try to find costumes that won't look horrifically out of place - serafuku are Right Out - and hone my makeup skills. In a few years I think I'm going to be SOL, though.. so I don't know what I'll be doing. Making costumes for other people, maybe. Unless I can find a few more anime characters who are grownups... and that is NOT easy. :)

That's when you take the easy road and dress as Cologne from Ranma for the rest of your life :thumbsup:

Or there's always masks....my husband does all sorts of latex mask-things for Halloween....now to just get him to work on some cosplay stuff ;)

Koumori
09-09-2002, 07:03 PM
I did get mistaken for a teenager all weekend at AnimeFest, though. Maybe they grow them differently in Texas, or maybe I'm getting better with the ol' concealer brush, I dunno.

makonurikoryoko
09-09-2002, 08:48 PM
You really do look young though. And I'm not saying that to be nice! When I saw youre cute Nuriko cosplay I thought you were no older than 22, nd you said on another post you're 29?! ::is amazed::

Xx Lulu xX
09-09-2002, 08:50 PM
She is cool~! Koumori, you're an idol to me *gets all watery eyed* and one day i hope to cosplay just like you! *justice pose*

makonurikoryoko
09-09-2002, 08:55 PM
yeah! Lulu and I love you ::bows:: ^^ hehe

Xx Lulu xX
09-09-2002, 08:58 PM
:bouncer: AWW!! CUTE!

Koumori
09-09-2002, 09:57 PM
Wow, you think YOU love her! ;) I love both of you! I guess that's one advantage of not having clearer pictures - I look younger! ;)

KuroBara
09-09-2002, 11:07 PM
I know what you mean Koumori ~ I'm only 20 but I still feel it limits the age I can cosplay. I try to go for characters no younger than 17 now. Wow, I never would have guessed 29...I have to keep that unclear pictures thing in mind for later...

Ranma Saotome
09-09-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Xx Lulu xX
I just finished replying to a thread about what ur parents think....and i was just wondering when do us Cosplayers think that its time to give up cosplay? I for example think you should go untill you cant go anymore..but some people say oh once i hit this age, i'm gonna quit it..., so what do you think?

Bah, I'm sick of the fucking elitist cosplayers, those who compete like 12 times a year and they're hot shit... *coughcoughSailorJamboreecoughhackwheeze*

Ranma Saotome
09-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Wow, you think YOU love her! ;) I love both of you! I guess that's one advantage of not having clearer pictures - I look younger! ;)

29? I never would have guessed! *still thinks that Koumori-chan is kawaii*

Koumori
09-10-2002, 06:28 AM
"Soft focus," aka ever-so-slightly-blurred, Vaseline-on-the-lens angelic glow. The way they shot Ingrid Bergman in.. oh, about everything. That's your key to happy concealment of your actual age. ;)

And thanks, Ranma. :)

Rosiel
09-10-2002, 08:30 AM
We grow out of our hobbies all the time. Three years ago I was consumed by cel-collecting, and my computer was programmed to check the most well known Japanese cel sites all night long and /wake me up/ if they had an update with Gundam Wing or Arlsan Senki cels. Seriously.

Now? I still have my collection but haven't looked at one of these sites in maybe 8 months. I'm even thinking of selling some of my cels to only keep the truly exceptional ones.

I guess I will cosplay until I either get tired of it, <i>or</i> I realize (probably with the help of my veryvery honest friends) that I am starting to look ridiculous.

And seriously I wish some cosplayers thought about whether or not they look ridiculous before leaving their hotel rooms, I feel terribly sorry for some of them. >_<;;;;

> I did get mistaken for a teenager all weekend at AnimeFest, though.

I still get carded to get in NC17 movies, and I'm older than most of the people on this board. I take it as a compliment now. LOL.

Oshi
09-10-2002, 09:13 AM
Otakuism is for life. Going to cons lasts for a while too. Cosplaying, I think, might hit a limit... I'd say around 40 >.>;
It's too early to tell. We're the prime generation for this stuff, we get to set the standards XD

venus2869
09-10-2002, 09:22 AM
::gets on her soapbox again:::

Rosiel, I think I got you beat with the age thing (I'm 33, will be 34 in Feb). I will be cosplaying as long as I am able too. Simply put, becasue I like it, I like the attention, the people, the hunt for supplies and just the sheer fun of it.

My father collected guns and my mom got purses, they did this until they died, and I have the same plans (not guns or purses, mind you!) for my older years. I also plan to make my child's and her children's costumes if and when she has them.

I do agree with "dressing for your age" but, if you feel that strongly about a costume, remember that you are going out into a public place where those of us who don't have the kindest of words will speak. I do think there should be a "cosplay sense" as in common sense as to who & what he/she can wear. Granted, I really don't think Sailor Bubba will dress this way when he's 50! But if he can do it tastefully, more power too him!

This is a thing/hobby/activity/lifestyle, whatever you want to call it, that will either grow with you in age or consume you if you let it!! But if you can regulate it, you should be fine.

Koumori
09-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Rosiel

And seriously I wish some cosplayers thought about whether or not they look ridiculous before leaving their hotel rooms, I feel terribly sorry for some of them. >_<;;;;

Prime example. I do NOT want to be one of those people. I hope when the day comes that I have to look in the mirror and say "oh, honey, you're too old for this," I'll be able to do it honestly. So if you all happen to see me around and find yourselves feeling sorry for me, I hope you'll tell me. It would be kinder, really.

Yes, this is on my mind as my 29th birthday is next week and 30 is breathing down my neck. ;)

We definitely do outgrow hobbies, shift interests, move on. I don't know that otakudom is forever. I do know I'm having a wonderful time right now.

Rosiel
09-10-2002, 09:47 AM
> I don't know that otakudom is forever. I do know I'm having a wonderful time right now.

Exactly! Carpe Diem, right? ;)

And, I have to say, I thought the older woman cosplaying as Taiitsu-kun at AX was a great sport. She looked perfect in that costume!

It's all about knowing your limits, and not only about age... I think part of a successfull cosplay is choosing characters with a similar bodytype/face to yours.

Sami
09-10-2002, 10:16 AM
I think I will continue until simply.. I don't feel like it anymore. ( I'm wondering if this is just a "phase" with me. ) If, in a few years I sit down to make a costume and feel absolutely no excitement or anticipation of wearing said costume.. then I'm done. It's no fun if I have to force myself. :(

And I agree with the masses; Koumori, you don't look 29!! *was surprised!*

Koumori
09-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Rosiel
> It's all about knowing your limits, and not only about age... I think part of a successfull cosplay is choosing characters with a similar bodytype/face to yours.

Amen, sister. No matter how well done your costume is, if you don't quite fit it, it will never have that "there's an anime character standing RIGHT THERE" effect that some people strive for. That's what makes the stuff you do so good; you can go that step beyond technical expertise.

I still haven't found such a creature yet for myself.. there aren't a whole lot of round-faced snub-nosed non-schoolgirl-types out there.. but I'm keeping my eyes open. And in the meantime, of course, faking it. :)

And to everyone who says I don't look 29, thank you, I love you all, and the key once again is to not have your pics too sharp. ;)

Ranma Saotome
09-10-2002, 11:08 AM
And thanks, Ranma. :)

*turns redder than a beet* It was nothing, really... :)

Ranma Saotome
09-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Okay, I'm 24 and I cosplay a 16 y/o martial artist. I prooly won't stop cosplaying until I need a walker! :D There are a lot of anime characters you can do where you can't tell of their age either. ^^

Heh, 30 years from now, we will all be at Geritolcon and we'll be going around doingour own otaku thing! :p

Koumori
09-10-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome
Heh, 30 years from now, we will all be at Geritolcon and we'll be going around doingour own otaku thing! :p

Don't take this the wrong way, but I kinda hope not. ;)

Ranma Saotome
09-10-2002, 01:39 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but I kinda hope not. ;)

None taken. I'll still be running around in my adult diapers, with my geritol dressing up as Ranma Saotome! :D

Even so, perhaps even at that old age, someone will be right there next to you,in full cosplay... ^^;

Ahehehehehehehe! *slaps hand behind back and laughs a bit more*

Xx Lulu xX
09-11-2002, 09:23 PM
Dipers....eep :bouncer:

Ranma Saotome
09-11-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Xx Lulu xX
Dipers....eep :bouncer:

Hey, it could happen. :)