PDA

View Full Version : Fan-made or official? A Gundam Cosplay Question

striker0
01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Hopefully I put this in the right spot, and if I didn't, please don't flame me.

6 months ago I went to my first convention, and needless to say, I had fun. Heck I even did a very minor cosplay on the last day that consisted of a Gundam shield and beam saber. I know, not much, but I didn't want to take some random cardboard box with GUNDAM written on it. I wanted people to know that I put some effort into it, and some liked it.

This year I'm planning on spending the months that I have before the convention to make a full body Gundam costume. Now, I'll admit alot of the Gundams look really cool, and I'm sure if I did a official one, people would recognize it immediantly. However, I actually wanna go a different path and go through the process of designing and making a fan-made Gundam cosplay.

But when I told some people this idea, they were against it because of the simple fact that "if it's not from any of the gundam shows, then it's really not a gundam, and nor is it cool." I find that bit to be a whole load of nonsense (not the word I'm wanting to use, but I don't wanna offend anyone).

So I'm asking, does it really make a difference if a Gundam cosplay is official looking, or can I get the same satisfaction from doing my own design and creation?

JeiC
01-06-2008, 09:20 PM
That's a really tough question. Honestly, if you want to be recognized as a Gundam and not some general mecha, then going with something official might be the one to pick, but it's a tough call since they tend to have distinctive features so there's a possibility of recognition being fanmade. All I can do is warn you that you will get fans who will give you the same general attitude about it if you do something fanmade. Trust me, I get this alone cosplaying an official character from Gundam Wing by fans of the older Gundam series.

Rainie
01-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Hmm.... You can do whatever that can make you happy but you would expect some Gundam fans and people, in general to which one are you so you would need to explain a bit multiple times. I've seen some generic ninjas and shinigami around or some of their own designs. It's all for fun, anyway. Don't take it too seriously from more stricter people who doesn't like any character alterations and only have to be a specific character.