PDA

View Full Version : My issues with cross play

TheBrainUM
06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Ok, first off I'd liek to admit I have some issue with Cross Play, mainly with revealing or form fitting costumes. I think that those costumes look better on females. Call me insensitive or homophoic or whatever. I just think that the female form is better looking then the male form. Now I'm not going to say anything to anyone wearing any type of costume I don't like because it doesn't achieve anything. I don't need to offend someone with my views and no one is going to stop doing what they do because I say "hey buddy, I really rather not be able to see the bulge in your shorts". And it's not really harming anyone so why bother anyway. The other issue I have is when guy make rally convincing girls. It's like the oatmeal cookie issue, you know when you go for and oatmeal cookie thinking it is chocolate chip only to take a bite and get raisin instead of chocolate. Anyway what I want to know is if this makes me somehow wrong or something, I just basically want to know what others think

Asmaria
06-04-2003, 03:05 PM
I think it's just as odd when you're a girl and you think some other girl is a really cute guy. It's real embarrassing, you know? But I tend to laugh it off, because to me it's quite amusing at the same time. *shrugs* ^_^; I know a few guys who do really convincing girl costumes, and girls who do really convincing guy costumes. But that's what they're going for, so I guess it means they accomplished it. :D

The only time I really truely have a problem with crossplay is if someone halfheartedly does it. But to each their own. :P

Karisu-sama
06-04-2003, 03:59 PM
TheBrainUM: For the "carob cookie" effect, you could also be really attracted to a girl and then discover she's a lesbian who wouldn't give a male the time of day.

If you can deal with being attracted to a surface appearance whether or not the person in question (straight woman, lesbian woman, crossdressing man either straight or not) is actually the type you would further pursue a relationship with, then you are mature and secure in yourself. Noting an attraction to well done female "surface packaging" does not mean you are attracted to men, and there is no question about your sexuality.

After all, lots of people turn out to be "oatmeal raisin" instead of "chocolate" - for example, the "nice guy" who first wins over a girl and then turns abusive on her.

Asmaria: I certainly don't mind if girls think I look like a cute guy when I'm crossplaying. If I'd been born a guy I probably would look quite a bit like that, but sorry, girls, I'm one of you. ^^ I don't think I'd be much of a different person if nature had made me the other way, but I'm happy as I am. However, if I'm cosplaying a guy character, I would at least like to look rather like a guy for the duration! ^^

Agrias
06-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Well, as you say, "the female form is better looking than the male form"... Well, if a male was able to achieve a more female form then it'd be ok, right? ^.~

TheBrainUM
06-04-2003, 05:26 PM
yeah but guys usually have to cover up to do it. When you wear something revealing there is no place to put the required padding. Girls have a more curvy butt then guys, so if you wear something that shows your butt, you really can't put something there to hide the fact that you don't have female hips. In otherwords I don't want to see a guys butt! But I suppose if I want to see a cute girl's butt I should just deal with the fact that girl want to see guy butts

Scortia
06-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Heck, if I see a crossplayer who convinces me that they are a different sex, I'm just really freaking impressed. It's like the Utena musical... I was sitting there saying to myself, "Damn, Saionji and Touga are damn sexy", and then I notice that their hands are very delicate... toooo delicate for a man. ^^;; Now THAT is crossplay. Anyway, it's a good thing... sure, you may have a quick mind#%@ over the person being the wrong sex, but that's all in fun.

Asmaria
06-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Karisu-sama: I get what you mean. n.n I actually wore my Elk costume to a renaissance festival last week, and one of the vendors mistook me for a guy at first glance. XD I was highly amused, because I hadn't even strapped down. o_o

Mizuno Tenshi
06-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Well, some girls have slender hips, and there are some guys with slightly wider hips... I can't wear guy pants because the hips are too tight, but girl pants fit me perfectly. So, us guys who crossplay don't always need obvious padding (except for the chest). Also, I kind of agree with the whole "bulge in the shorts" thing. That's icky, and I don't do that. If you're gonna go as a girl, don't show something only a guy would have...

P-chan

Karisu-sama
06-04-2003, 07:38 PM
LOL, I gotta say, I like to see nice guy butts..... Mmmm.... guys in form-fitting pants..... :p

Crossplaying guys not wearing revealing clothes can look quite nice as "girls", I think. It's harder to do it effectively in a revealing outfit (but kudos to those who can!)

Mizuno Tenshi
06-04-2003, 08:01 PM
oh well... I have yet to try a revealing outfit. any suggestions? ;)

P-chan

vyrax778
06-05-2003, 12:22 AM
I wanna see a guy crossplay and pull off Mai from King of Fighters that would be cool.

Im not even going to bother to try atleast not now im to big in the gut for a Mai costume.

Mizuno Tenshi
06-05-2003, 07:46 AM
hrm...:rolleyes:
Looks like Mai would be fun, but I have no idea how to pull off that chest... maybe if someone were skilled with latex... maybe with some attachable breast forms and some makeup... something for me to try for when I can afford the forms.

P-chan

Ukayoru no Chou
06-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Kabuki ( Justin- look at top on the main page ) He has cosplayed Mai, and very well I might add ^_^; .

If you can pull it off, and exspecially the chest,and the hiding of your crotch, nifty ^_^. Lol. Otherwise, keep trying, and look for something else, if it bothers you much? That's what'd I'd say...pfff. *run*

Chosuke
06-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Yeah, Kabuki did an awesome job!

I was wondering though.. Knowing more then a few crossplaying females I don't think they really get the same reactions as male crossplayers do.. I've never seena female freak out about thinking a crossplaying girl is a cute boy either o-o

Mizuno Tenshi
06-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Kabuki did do an awesome job. I could do the costume like that easily enough, but in the game it shows off the insides of her breasts, instead of covering them. THAT one would be a lot more difficult. The breasts aren't difficult if they're covered, and the crotch is easy to do.
Guys tend to be more homophobic/get joked more if they hit on a crossplaying guy. I mean, two girls can even kiss, with few problems. Two guys kiss... well, all hell breaks loose.

P-chan

vyrax778
06-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Mizuno Tenshi
Two guys kiss... well, all hell breaks loose.

not at a anime con [LOL] all the Yaoi Fangirls would storm them with camera's. well if there cosplaying.

Agrias
06-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Hey, I did a semi-revealing costume ;P Lol, plus, the story on Kabuki's first crossplay is exactly like mine, so who knows? Maybe i'll turn out as good as him someday :D

Merle-kun
06-07-2003, 11:30 AM
I kind of agree. I mean... some costumes (regardless of gender of character or cosplayer) shouldn't be worn if they're too skimpy. I've seen girls run around winter cons wearing tiny latex outfits with butt floss going up the back. That's just not called for ^^;

But, when a person crossplays something skimpy (and this is obviously aimed at guys since male characters tend not to be skimpy) they really should have all the details worked out, and know how they look in the costume beforehand. There are some costumes I would absolutely LOVE to do, but I know there are certain things that are out of my reach so I don't attempt them. At least that's how I feel, I know I wouldn't do something skimpy and not even check out how I look in it before I go to a con.

But, I think cosplayers in general need to watch those skimpy costumes. It can give people the wrong impression of you.

And about cookies, to me it seems that raisin cookies would fit better than oatmeal. Unless you meant oatmeal raisin. But anyway, those of us who are trying to pass as girls/guys while in costume aren't out to make fun of others by making them believe we're a certain gender. Usually, from a psychology standpoint, people who dislike the idea crossplayers usually dislike the idea of being fooled about a person's true gender, and can feel personally offended. Especially if it happens to be in front of friends, and aloud. Guys are particularly bad about this. Other guys can be very harsh on a guy who mistakes someone for a girl, and tease him about it endlessly. So, guys will rebel and distance themselves from the idea by any means necessary to make sure his friends don't think he's gay. For most it's shying away from and/or making fun of crossplayers, and for extreme cases physical actions. Though so far, I haven't had anything physical happen to me or hear anything about it happening to anyone else.

Not all guys are like this of course, I got invited to a party by about 5 guys because they thought I was a cute girl all day long. But by the time they invited me, they had figured it out but were still fine with it. I've fooled quite a few people, and I've had crowds gather near by to have a big brain storming session to try and figure me out ^^;

If you've never had to deal with the fact of a guy in a dress then it will make you question some things. It's fine to prefer how girls look, I agree with you that girls look a lot better than guys =3

vyrax778
06-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Merle I must admit when I first started browing the board you had me fooled for a second then I remembered what I wsa in the "Crossplay" section.

Merle-kun
06-07-2003, 10:36 PM
Hehe, thank you very much Vyrax! ^-^

avagoyle
06-09-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm the opposite of the OP. I think that males have a much more beautiful form than female, and I'll be disappointed when I find out what I thought was a guy was really a girl. ^^

I bet I can show you hundreds of hot pictures of individuals who are males and you'd never know the difference. (http://www.lilliecharlotte.com/ava/kakkoii.jpg)

Who cares?

cube
06-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
LOL, I gotta say, I like to see nice guy butts..... Mmmm.... guys in form-fitting pants..... :p Your wish is granted!

http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/gascoign/878/thumb13.jpg

Try counting all the dimples on that! LMAO Something tells me if that guy wanted to crossplay he wouldn't need any padding on the hips.;)

Mizuno Tenshi
06-09-2003, 04:11 PM
:omfg:
*smacks cube*
she said "nice guys butts"
That be fugly....
:miffed:

P-chan

Karisu-sama
06-09-2003, 05:31 PM
If Mizuno Tenshi says it's fugly, I'm not even gonna look.

I said NICE guy butts! No strange dimples! (I assume from the "dimples" comment that guy is nekky, ne?)

Xx Lulu xX
06-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Scortia
Heck, if I see a crossplayer who convinces me that they are a different sex, I'm just really freaking impressed.
-.-; aha.......come to school with me one day, and see how many people mistake me for a girl...even when im in guys clothing.......

zor
06-09-2003, 07:45 PM
I have to agree, I am not gay by any stretch, but if I see a guy crossplaying a girl that well that I don't feel odd about it... I just am flat out impressed that they did that good. As for being surprised... that's just part of life... nothing has taught me that coss/crossplay should be different. ^_^

~ Z o r ~

cube
06-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
If Mizuno Tenshi says it's fugly, I'm not even gonna look.

I said NICE guy butts! No strange dimples! (I assume from the "dimples" comment that guy is nekky, ne?) What does the word nekky mean I never heard of it? Do you mean naked?

I'm not sure how to describe the outfit he's wearing, but lets just say it's rather revealing. And if John Booty's "Man Faye" made you shiver you might not want to even touch that link with a 10 foot pole. LMAO.

As for guys who can pass for woman, that's fine with me. I gues the olde saying, "If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck then it probably is" doesn't apply for this situation:p

vyrax778
06-09-2003, 09:16 PM
The man faye wouldnt have been so bad if he atleast had shaved his legs!

then agien im guilty of foing crazy stuff like that points at gallery.

Karisu-sama
06-10-2003, 12:19 AM
"Nekky" = "neckid" = naked, yeah.

I was at AX last year, I saw Man Faye with my own eyes - ACK! That was NOT good crossplay! Not only did he not shave (he was HAIRY!), but his Faye outfit was too.... revealing. Especially in back. Especially when there were kids around. My kids saw it too! My poor kids... they'll be in therapy some day from the mental scarring... :p

Now Merle-kun & Justin - THAT's great crossplay. ^___^

Mizuno Tenshi
06-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Hey! What about me!
Wait... I need a better costume.
hmm... how about... haha! I got it! Ayeka in a towel (from the US version of Tenchi)

P-chan

Merle-kun
06-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Thanks Karisu! ^-^

There was a Man Faye? O_o A couple friends told me I should try Faye... but, I wasn't really sure a guy could do that costume properly...

Menchi
06-10-2003, 02:20 PM
oh yes i ahve seen this man faye...wasnt at ax but DAMN. i have no way to describe it, best way is to show it. dont know if ppl realy wanna see it though ^^;;; it is umm interesting.

Karisu-sama
06-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Mizuno Tenshi
Hey! What about me!

P-chan
I forgot you? Oops!! Yeah, you are definitely in the "thumbs up" crossplay section! Not like Man-Faye! *gags at memory* :p

Merle-kun: I'm sure if you try cosplaying Faye, you'd do a GOOD version, not like that guy! ^^

Someone posted a link to a pic of the Man-Faye recently, but I forget where it was - maybe it was John Booty who posted it?...

Merle-kun
06-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Karisu:

I dunno... I'm not sure anyone would want to see me dressed like this:

http://katakirei.com/jazz/gallery/faye/cool.jpg
http://katakirei.com/jazz/gallery/faye/cool2.jpg
http://katakirei.com/jazz/gallery/faye/fa11.jpg

I think people would hate me or run crying ^^;;;

mochihead
06-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Merle-kun: I still can't believe how well you crossplay! I'll admit that you had me fooled the first few times I saw photos of you! WOW! *applauds* I, for one, would love to see you do Faye!

Karisu-sama: *bows down before you* You also do fantastic crosplay. I hope to someday pull off a crossplay as well as you!

*hides under rock* uh, is this the infamous "Man Faye" that everyone's referring to? Please don't hurt me. . .
http://www.bootyproject.org/images/anime/ax2002/img_1506.jpg

vyrax778
06-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by mochihead
*hides under rock* uh, is this the infamous "Man Faye" that everyone's referring to? Please don't hurt me. . .
http://www.bootyproject.org/images/anime/ax2002/img_1506.jpg [/B]

yes that is the infamous man Faye one of the better views as he was much worse in real life much much worse.

Merle-kun
06-11-2003, 01:39 AM
Thanks Mochi! I really appreciate that! ^-^ I'm worried about being dubbed "Man Faye, Mark II!" Plus I need to do some sit ups.. I've been eating badly lately ^^; Too much junk food for me... darn the good tasting cheap stuff! I need a trainer... I'm so not motivated ;_;

And that picture isn't as bad as everyone's making it out to be. I mean, from the way he's posing I would assume it's all in jest. Maybe my shock value is gone now because of cons... *shrug* ^^; It's difficult to shake me anymore.

Karisu-sama
06-11-2003, 02:19 AM
About those official Faye pics - well, Faye is a costume I would not be caught dead in myself, LOL... For one thing, my momma-stretch-marks would show big time. For another, she was far more blessed by the Boob Fairy than I was... I just don't DO skimpy, anyway. Skimpiest costume piece I've got is Dilandau's loose crop T-shirt.

I saw Man-Faye at AX on Sunday - I believe by Sunday he looked like he hadn't shaved (face) that morning either... you should have seen the "half-a-furry-moon" look he had from the back most of the time. Ugh.

Mochihead: Thanks! ^^ I appreciate that too! (My husband is not so thrilled :p )

Mizuno Tenshi
06-11-2003, 02:37 PM
hmm... getting anywhere near realistic breasts at that size... I don't think I could keep them in place! :D
Other than that, I think I could pull it off...
But Merle-kun! I'd love to see you in that outfit! ;)

P-chan

mochihead
06-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Mizuno Tenshi: I'll bet you could do fantastic work as Faye, too. LOL . . .I'm like Karisu-sama and was overlooked by the Boob Fairy, so there is no way that I could get anywhere even close to that size! At least you have the nice body to start off with!

Goth Kitty 22
06-11-2003, 06:49 PM
It's already tough enough for women to pull off a realistic Faye. :thumbsup:

Mizuno Tenshi
06-11-2003, 07:04 PM
I already have the twig-like body, I just need boobs to match. So, maybe an E cup? hehe...

P-chan

vyrax778
06-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Goth Kitty 22
It's already tough enough for women to pull off a realistic Faye. :thumbsup: I dont know there were some damn nice looking Faye's at AX 2k2 sure they werent as busty as Faye but they still were pleasing to the eyes :D