PDA

View Full Version : Air Gear without ATs

Cole
01-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I currently have an Akito/Agito costume in the works, but there is one part of the costume I know I can't do, and that is the ATs. I know a lot of Air Gear cosplayers often use similar looking roller blades, but I can't really do that either, since I can't skate to save my life. Also, I'm not sure how safe skating around a con center would be.

So, with all that said, would my costume be looked down on, or considered incomplete/inaccurate if I didn't have some kind of wheels strapped to my feet? My current plan for footwear is getting making a pair of shoes look like Akito's ATs, but without the wheels, but will that be enough?

UsagiNoSenshi
01-11-2008, 11:43 AM
you usually can't have skates on in a con anyways. Most hotels or convention centers will not let you.
I also can not skate to save my life but you can tighten the wheels on blades/skates so tight that the wheels can't turn. Then you can use them for photos without worrying about falling down.

shivachan
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
You can't skate in a hotel or convention centre anyway. So it really shouldn't be a problem. I've seen lots of people just wearing shoes in their Air Gear cosplay. I myself plan to just wear shoes. But then I may also make boot covers for my skates and take pictures outside of the con-grounds in them of actual skating footage. But if you can't skate, you can't skate. You shouldn't have to learn a new hobby just for cosplay, right?

A19Riku
01-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I know we are cosplaying air gear too and only 1/2 of our group will actually be waering ATs. So no your costume would not be looked down upon for not having skates on. Though if you did feel that you wanted to do more but can't due to a lack of skating skills, I know there is some way to lock some skates wheels so that they don't roll. Therefore you would just be walking in them but still have the look of skates.

That and there is always the idea if you want it to look cool just make a regalia shoe cover lol Im making 2 pairs right now for the agito and akito in our group though they are wearing skates I think you could maybe modify shoes some. But over all just plain shoes would be perfectly fine .

SSPrincess
01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
You should be just find. Some people, like me for example, simply cannot afford Rollerblades while others can't blade at all. While I haven't cosplayed for very long and I only found out about Air Gear recently(how I don't know which is ironic as I watched the entire anime like last week XD !fail) it seems to me that Air Gear cosplayers aren't very many or at least not in the few cons I've been too, so I think they'd be happier just to see you cosplaying from Air Gear and wouldn't mind you not having blades.

Also while I haven't gotten my paws on the Manga yet, I think that it's impossible/very unlikely for Agito/Akito to be on blades every waking second of the day. So yes, you can be AT-less and still have a complete costume.

Heck, I'm going to wearing Heelys when I cosplay as Ringo. So you could always try that. I don't know if it's the same for all cons, but I think that you can probably wear Heely's inside without any problems providing you don't abuse them as they look like regular shoes.

Cole
01-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Heck, I'm going to wearing Heelys when I cosplay as Ringo. So you could always try that. I don't know if it's the same for all cons, but I think that you can probably wear Heely's inside without any problems providing you don't abuse them as they look like regular shoes.

I thought about getting some Heely's if I can find some in my size. But then I was worried that I might have to mangle them to make them look like Akito/Agito's ATs.

ryoogawa
01-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I thought about getting some Heely's if I can find some in my size. But then I was worried that I might have to mangle them to make them look like Akito/Agito's ATs.

If you make removeable shoe covers that looked like the Fang Regalia, then you won't have worry about mangling any shoes or accidently messing them up. Also, on the topic of Heely's, I personally don't reccommend them-- but that's just because I've had bad experiences with them when younger. xD;

Anyway, as long as you have a good outfit, whether or not you actually have 2-wheeled skates won't really matter. The only reason I'm still doing the skates is because I'm obsessive with details xD;;

This is kinda trite, but: Just have fun with it. If you feel incomplete without the skates, then go for it. If not, just wear shoes. Either way, I'm sure most Air Gear fans would be perfectly content just seeing it cosplayed. Period. ^-^

SSPrincess
01-11-2008, 10:20 PM
If you make removable shoe covers that looked like the Fang Regalia, then you won't have worry about mangling any shoes or accidentally messing them up. Also, on the topic of Heely's, I personally don't recommend them-- but that's just because I've had bad experiences with them when younger. xD;First...how does sone make a removable shoe cover? 0.0 And second of all...what happened with you and Heely's?
*hugs her pair*

divine_fanaticy
01-11-2008, 11:00 PM
heh, akito can't skate very well, anyway. but, seriously, they don't always wear their ATs, so you're totally okay.

ryoogawa
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
First...how does sone make a removable shoe cover? 0.0 And second of all...what happened with you and Heely's?
*hugs her pair*

Lol, I guess I was just one of those kids who was never meant to participate in outdoor activity. Or I was accident prone. I had all kinds of trouble with control and the wheels not releasing or going back into the shoe properly. Maybe mine just sucked? My balance is bad, too, so having to do that whole heel...thing.. the other kids did in order to skate was terrifying ^-^;;

As for removable shoe covers, I don't know how to explain it...but it's basically what A19Riku is doing for me and my Agito. She's the technical genius here, I just crash test them xD'

xxFrozenFlower
01-12-2008, 12:40 PM
This might sound completely stupid and unpractical, but would carrying around a pair of rollerblades be okay? So like, indoor, you're in normal shoes, but outside you can bust them out. 8D...
As much as I love rollerblades, getting kicked out of a con because of costume accuracy would kind of crush me... :P;;

Aaand I... don't really know where to buy Heely's. I'd probably crash a lot while wearing them. ^^;

My current plan for footwear is getting making a pair of shoes look like Akito's ATs, but without the wheels, but will that be enough?

I'm sure that's *gotta* be acceptable, unless there are people who can't recognize you because you're missing a couple of wheels, since it's not too smart to skate around indoors. Good luck on your cosplay!

A19Riku
01-12-2008, 02:21 PM
This might sound completely stupid and unpractical, but would carrying around a pair of rollerblades be okay? So like, indoor, you're in normal shoes, but outside you can bust them out.

That would be quite fine. LOL It might actually make for some fun pictures. I know for my ringo cosplay I have ATs but I also have a pair of regular shoes painted to look like her shoes just in case I get asked to remove the skates

SSPrincess: As far as the shoe covers. I am currently making 2 different styles of removable shoe covers. One for agito and akito and then one for my ringo.
Bascially with the fang regalia im making all of the parts out of craft foam and having to draw them out, cut the pieces apart, bevel the edges, and then glue them back together to give them the sharp edges. Then once I get all of that done I am plexiglassing the inside for extra strength. But to make it into one piece I plan on gluing all of them together and attach to a black band that runs around the whole skate and velcros in the together. This way the cover can just be removed by undoing the velcro. I hope that made sense I'm not really good at explaining this kind of stuff.

Then for ringo since Im just doing her regular ATs right now I am just taking some old tennis shoes that that are slightly bigger than my skates and painting them. Next I am planning on just removing the sole of the shoe so that it is open on the bottom, fitting it over the skate, and securing it with straps that go under the skate. Finally there will be another piece of painted craftfoam that wraps around the lower portion of her skate ( where it is red w/ the white star) and secures in the back w/ velcro or maybe a small zipper or something.

ryoogawa
01-12-2008, 02:37 PM
See? Like I said, technical genius. xD

I don't usually fully understand it, but it always works out in the end. xD

A19Riku
01-12-2008, 05:31 PM
See? Like I said, technical genius. xD

I don't usually fully understand it, but it always works out in the end. xD

LOL not exactly

but ya im pretty sure this will work so far I was freaking out when I found out that the regalia split in the front but that is why I had to add the black band

xxFrozenFlower
01-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I was thinking shoes that look like the ATs, but with rollerblades as a back-up for outside fun XD

Ohh, and that really helps on making shoe covers, though it sounds so technical genius-y it'll take me a while to understand it XD Thanks for posting that anyways, I'll steal that technique ^_~

Cole
01-12-2008, 07:08 PM
This might sound completely stupid and unpractical, but would carrying around a pair of rollerblades be okay? So like, indoor, you're in normal shoes, but outside you can bust them out.

That is a very good idea, but like I said earlier, I can't skate at all. It's a great solution for those who can though!

baka_shinigami
01-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I know we are cosplaying air gear too and only 1/2 of our group will actually be waering ATs. So no your costume would not be looked down upon for not having skates on. Though if you did feel that you wanted to do more but can't due to a lack of skating skills, I know there is some way to lock some skates wheels so that they don't roll. Therefore you would just be walking in them but still have the look of skates.

That and there is always the idea if you want it to look cool just make a regalia shoe cover lol Im making 2 pairs right now for the agito and akito in our group though they are wearing skates I think you could maybe modify shoes some. But over all just plain shoes would be perfectly fine .

I plan on doing that too, with the wheels locked and everything.
Also what are you going to use for the shoe cover? I was thinking about doing something like that, only I have no clue on what to use.

A19Riku
01-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I plan on doing that too, with the wheels locked and everything.
Also what are you going to use for the shoe cover? I was thinking about doing something like that, only I have no clue on what to use.

ummm I put descriptions of how im making them at the bottom of the other page (sorry im too lazy to type it all ove again) but Im using craftfoam for the regalia and just a pair of gutted converse for ringo's ATs