PDA

View Full Version : Weeping Angel - Doctor Who

Forest
01-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi there!

I just need a little advice please. I'm planning on cosplaying as one of the Weeping Angels from Dr.Who, but I'm stumped as to how to get the wings looking decent.

Here're some refs:

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/show-features/doctor-who/creating-the-weeping-angel/modules/01.gif

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/Doctor%20Who%20Season%203%20figures%20Weeping%20An gel%20The%20Master%20Derek%20Jacobi%20John%20Simm% 20David%20Tennant.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/s3_10gallery/1024/homepage.jpg

A friend suggested camping mat and copydex...but again, not certain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~Forest

PS:If anyone has any tips on anything pertaining to the rest of the costume, that would be awesome to hear too, even though it's the wings that are the main topic here. All tips are good tips! :D Thanks again.

Crimson Firefly
01-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Assuming you're going for a stone-look but don't want something that's super heavy (imagine carrying around something that big made out of sculpy on your back O.O) I have two suggestions depending on how accurate you want to be.

The first one would be to make a base for the wings out of cardboard or foam that takes on the general shape of the wings. I would then cut out individual feathers out of craft foam, laying down the long ones at the bottom first and building more layers on top of it. In order to get the old statue look, I would use a blunt knife to create gashes where necessary. A bumpy surface could be rendered with acryllic paint applied with a dry, cut-off brush in many layers.

The second idea was just something that occured to me as cool in my head... and having never tried it might actually not be so cool in practice. Instead of using foam, use real feathers, but after you have attached the feathers, apply a light layer of white-glue overtop of the feathers to seal them in a kind of mould (this would take LOTS of glue and forever to dry I know). Once everything has dried and been painted, I imagine it would give more of an "angel that has turned to stone" look rather than an angel statue look.

The Hag
01-17-2008, 06:40 AM
There is also a textured spray paint type-thing that will give things a bumpy stone look. I've seen it at both Michaels and AC Moore. I've used in on styrofoam and it looks pretty good. You might have to spray each feather separately first though and then do a light final coat. Otherwise you might lose too much of the feather definition.

Forest
01-20-2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks very much for all the suggestions, really appreciate it. Very helpful. :D The suggestions about layering the foam for the feathers is especially good, thanks, Firefly! And I shall definitely be hunting down that spray, Hag, sounds absolutely perfect.

One thing I'm left wondering for the moment, is how to create some kind of internal structure for the wings. I'm planning on sandwiching two layers of foamed-feathers (one for the front, and one for the back), but there needs to be something to hold it together, and keep the wings stiff, since I don't want them flimsy and flopping around when I walk.

Coathangers...heated-to-bend-PVC....metal gauge....anything else? Open to any suggestions - though the less messy the better.

Thanks again!
~Forest

Mangochutney
01-20-2008, 12:02 PM
The tutorial list has some good stuff on wing armatures. Even better, yours don't have to move so you have more options for attaching them to your body. I'd use PVC and wire mesh, personally. Not even heated PVC, just straight sections and some joining pieces.

Parasaurolophus
01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
One thing I'm left wondering for the moment, is how to create some kind of internal structure for the wings. I'm planning on sandwiching two layers of foamed-feathers (one for the front, and one for the back), but there needs to be something to hold it together, and keep the wings stiff, since I don't want them flimsy and flopping around when I walk.

Coathangers...heated-to-bend-PVC....metal gauge....anything else? Open to any suggestions - though the less messy the better.

Thanks again!
~Forest

My Hawkgirl wings were made from a base of ducktaped hangers (I used around 20-30 of them) with a muslin base that I attached all the feathers to. It worked reasonably well for what I had on hand, though I'm sure there are better ways. I had to tie the wing tops together, and they bounced up and down a little while I walked, the wings were otherwise very stable. If you use fun foam, you might want to add posterboard backing to the feathers for additional stiffness.

Forest
01-31-2008, 06:12 PM
@ Parasaurolophus : Duct-taped hangers...that could seriously work well! :D Thanks so much for the advice! ^-^ Much appreciated.

Mich
02-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I swear by Fosshape. It's a bit like white felt, but when you heat it up it hardens and you can shape it, but it's still light.I get mine from here:
http://www.flints.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eflints%2eco %2euk%2facatalog%2fshop%2ehtml&WD=fosshape&PN=Fosshape_300gsm%2ehtml%23aPROFS300#aPROFS300
It would make a great base to stick feathers etc., onto.
Also Cosworx stocks it, and they take Paypal. It works out a bit cheaper too, but might take a little longer to arrive.

fightstar
02-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Dude!! If you and a few folks can pull this off at a con. Oh the people you could screw with. Performance art worthy of a happening. I tip my helmet to your boldness.

Biscuit
02-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't have any tips, but I must say this is the BEST cosplay idea ever! if you do this you win the world for being so cool. I would have never thought to cosplay one of the weeping angels!

good luck and don't blink!

Forest
02-29-2008, 06:53 PM
@ Biscuit : Thanks much!! I hope I can pull it off - we'll see heehee. Thanks for the encouragement.

@ Fightstar : Thanks! My friend is now also planning on cosplaying one of the Host Angels from the latest Christmas ep. So, if we can get this all together in time, and hopefully get it all looking respectable, I will be pleased (and surprised lol!) Butyes, screwing with people would be ohhhh so much fun. *cackle*

@ Mich : Oooo now that's all kinds of shiny.Thanks for the tip! And Paypal accepting? Good good! =D

Thanks for all the encouragement and tips! Much appreciated!

kuko-chan
03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
You'll have to post photos of the finished product of course. :) Those angels creeped me right out. Good luck with this cosplay! Try freaking some people out at the con! :D

Kyoko117
03-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry, I have no tips, I'm just here to cheer you on! You rock! Haha! When I saw that episode it made me really want that shirt the guy was talking about 'The Angels stole my Police Box' or something like that. Thanks for reminding me.

Elycium
03-15-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't know if it would give you the effect you're looking for, but a little bit of sand mixed in with paint gives a stony sort of texture.

I would also like to add that you win for attempting this, because the weeping angels were just downright creepy. Be sure to share photos of the finished project! And good luck!

feefie
03-15-2008, 09:44 AM
The first thing that came to my mind was the street performers who do "statue" performances for a living/hobby. Maybe if you looked up some of their techniques for costuming, you could find some good tips about what kind of body paint to use, and how to get yourself all one color. I am at work, or else I'd find the pages for you... ^^ Just a thought!
Good luck!

Mich
03-31-2008, 02:34 AM
* Update about Foss shape* I just received the Cosworx foss shape, and have to say that although cheaper than the UK one, the quality isn't as good, and I found it was too flimsy to heat up, as it shrank far too much. So my advice would be to spend the extra and go for the UK Foss shape.

italiangeek15
10-08-2010, 07:48 PM
So, I'm doing this as well. What are you doing about the eyes? I've been looking at FX contacts but they're not easy to come by.

You are amazing for having thought of this, by the way!

Ani_BEE
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm Considering doing a weeping angle for next summer but I have delema.

I could do a body socking for the arms and neck and mask so that it would be seamless or paint myself to match with a mask for the scarey face. ^_^

The problem I foresee with seamless body suit and face is that I wouldn't be able to eat or let my skin breath well ever once and a while. >_< it's really impotent when you don't have a dedicated handler. O____o

As for makeup rout I' will go with AA airbrush paint and stippling the hatch marks on.

Stormraven24
10-24-2011, 02:08 PM
@ Ani BEE: I think they make zentai or catsuits that will cover your whole body and have a zipper or some other kind of closure at the back so you can pull the head part down to eat or whatever. They're also pretty decent with breathability as far as I've been told. Maybe you could look around at some shops or sites that have those and see if you can get one in the right shade of grey or paint one to match? Just a thought :)

Miyabi-
10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Check out this girl's amazing tutorial:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/doctor-who-blink-weeping-angel-costume-49264/

Ani_BEE
10-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Yesss... I'm using that as a template. But I'm carving my wig out of foam (more stone line less hair like).

I like the idea of a zipper up the back the only deterrent is that you would see it on the neck.

wingsofapapercr
11-05-2011, 03:12 AM
this is absolutely brilliant :D

Daqua4ever
11-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Wow, this cosplay looks so much fun!
I just wanted to add:

My cousin dressed up as a Nike (winged victory) one Halloween, so she made herself some stone wings. She bought a pair of feathered wings from a local costume store. She then paper mache'd over the feathers to give them a more bulky feel. And then I believe she spray painted over the entire thing. The process took her just one afternoon, and it turned out pretty well :]

gbright1
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM
If she gets here project off the ground she might be able to help. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1606103206/weeping-angel-costume-production-line