PDA

View Full Version : February photoshoot

Kumi-chan
01-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Welcome to Gasukan 4.0!

Theme: "A Red Thread"
Date: Sunday, February 10th
Time: Start gathering at noon
Meetup: International Fountain; if the weather turns nasty, we'll meet at the Center House (building with the food court)

Map of Seattle Center: http://www.seattlecenter.com/information/map.asp
(International Fountain is marked as 17 on the map)

Map of streets around Seattle Center: http://seattle.citysearch.com/profile/map/11279342/seattle_wa/seattle_center.html

Parking information: http://seattle.citysearch.com/feature/30521/

Just so you know... It has come to our attention that there will be a protest at Seattle Center on the 10th. The protest should be taking place in a different part of the Center (building 15 on the first map), so it shouldn't be an issue.

About the theme...
In keeping with Valentine's Day, I've chosen a theme that encourages pair cosplay. The red thread, or akai ito is a popular Japanese folk culture belief, also found in other East Asian cultures, that two people destined to be together are connected by a red thread. This is usually represented in anime by an "invisible" line connecting their pinkies. You may have seen this in such series as Tenchi Muyo, Ai Yori Aoshi, Detective Conan, Yu Yu Hakusho, and probably countless shojo series

You can do couples cosplay/crossplay, but as always, I like to leave interpretation open to the individual. Wearing red is an obvious example ("red threads"). You are also free, as always, to completely ignore the theme and wear whatever the heck you want.

TsukikoAiko
01-16-2008, 09:45 PM
I was hoping to make it to one of the shoots before Sakuracon, but I'm having my tonsils out in February so I wont be able to make it. As always I look forward to the photos and seeing you guys at Sakuracon.

StrawberryLum
01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Definitly one I'm going to miss. Which annoys me since I have so many cute poses/ideas for this theme.
Something like this would be nifty. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u132/SerialExperiment13/counterpart.jpg
More ribbon than thread, but still.

Lady Shinsei
01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately, I am horribly single (gah).

So sorry, but I'm not able to join ya due to this.

*cheers for TsukikoAiko's awesome LoD avvie*

TsukikoAiko
01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
*cheers for TsukikoAiko's awesome LoD avvie* Thanks ^_^() I'll be cosplaying as Shana from LoD with Dart and possibly a Lloyd if he finishes his costume in time.

Arissa-chan
01-16-2008, 11:23 PM
This would be neat for mine and teh monkey boy's prom outfits...or something...

ultimaaa
01-17-2008, 12:25 AM
You know I'm there. :D I'm fairly certain we're doing REBORN! again, so you guys will get more blue pineapple head from me~.

Kumi-chan
01-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Just so it's clear, couple cosplay is not required. The characters you cosplay do not have to be a couple (though I'm sure all you yaoi fans out there can have a field day with this theme). You do not have to be part of a couple.

I'm single too, everyone. Astoundingly single, in fact. That's why I suggested pair cosplay. You can always choose characters who are best friends, enemies, partners, parent and child, siblings...maybe they share a fateful connection, but not necessarily a romantic one. Or go in an entirely different direction.

In other words, refer to last line of head post.

Just so we're clear. ^_^

StrawberryLum
01-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Ok, now I'm even more pissed I'm missing this shoot. Just saw the Ranma episode with the red thread (Shampoo's Red Thread of Dread) and it makes me like the theme even more. >_<

The~Wind
01-17-2008, 09:54 AM
I have a request... Can we not have the photoshoot on Sunday February 17th? It's the Sakura-Con General Meeting, since we're getting down to the wire, I'd rather not miss the meeting.

Red thread.... *ponders*Hmm... I'll have to think on that one.

Satoko-san
01-17-2008, 02:02 PM
If I can go, I'm totally there. Unfortunetly, I hope that I'm not out of state, b/c being a Yaoi fangirl, I can't help my desire to go. I have no clue what to cosplay, but... I'll come up w/ something ^^;;;; :crylaugh: I shall alert the other cosplayer peeps I know, and drag them there!! When are we thinking it will be, and where?

Cosplay Hunter
01-17-2008, 06:20 PM
*Finally gets off lazy arse and creates an account....* :chatah:

Y0z, Count me in! :bigtu: I may have a cracked idea or two brewing as well.

Oh, BTW - first group of pics from Gasukan 3 now up (http://www.cosplayhunter.com) (still going over the remainders).

Lady Shinsei
01-17-2008, 09:50 PM
@Kumi-chan = Ahhh! Now I understand. Heh heh.

Maybe I might be able to come, provided that it doesn't end up being a day that I have to work. In other words, please let it be on a Sunday afternoon (& not the 17th). I hope that someone could come dressed as Naruto, so that I can come dressed as Iruka...

ultimaaa
01-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Well, how does the 10th sound? It's around the same time it was this month, and I think it gives people ample time to put something together for the shoot.

Also, can I suggest that the shoot be IN Seattle this time around? We've had it north of Seattle, and south, but never in. =( As much as I like the half-hour to hour long bus rides... Location-wise, there's an area down by the waterfront that would be really nice. It's right next to the Olympic Sculpture Park. The only problem is paying for parking. =__=;

Either that or go back to UW. >__>; I liked being there.

Lady Shinsei
01-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Well, how does the 10th sound? It's around the same time it was this month, and I think it gives people ample time to put something together for the shoot.

LMAO. That Sunday is actually my birthday. *giggles*

SvK
01-18-2008, 12:18 AM
*Finally gets off lazy arse and creates an account....*
Finally!

Oh, BTW - first group of pics from Gasukan 3 now up (http://www.cosplayhunter.com) (still going over the remainders).
Great! Thanks!

The~Wind
01-18-2008, 12:27 AM
*checks calander*The 10th works for me. Now just to figure out who to cosplay... Maybe if I get off my ass and actually get started and finish Tomonori... Hmm

Kumi-chan
01-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Hmm, 10th? Sounds agreeable. Still too early to set for certain, but it's definitely a possibility. My idea was to avoid clashing with any further Sakura Con meetings, and this would probably be the way to do it.

Location-wise, how does everyone feel about downtown Seattle? I really liked the UW too--I always forget how gorgeous the campus is--but it is a university, and we don't want to disturb the students. It'd be nice to take advantage of more of the outdoor areas once the weather gets warmer. Particularly the wooded spots around campus, or the tree-lined road near the bus circle.

Another option, of course, is the Arboretum, which has a Japanese garden. It's a small fee, about $5, to get in, but it's very pretty.

Birthday, eh, Lady Shinsei? :toothy:

ultimaaa
01-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Not to mention with downtown Seattle, we aren't really restricted to one area either. Admittedly, it'd probably not be a good idea to go into the retail core downtown, but if we stick to the waterfront and Seattle Center it would be okay. =)

The~Wind
01-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Not to mention with downtown Seattle, we aren't really restricted to one area either. Admittedly, it'd probably not be a good idea to go into the retail core downtown, but if we stick to the waterfront and Seattle Center it would be okay. =)

O_o You're talking two opposite ends of the city there hun. *dies*You know much walking that would take?

Personally, I think it would be interesting to do the shoot in Pike Place/Water front.

Kumi-chan
01-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Ooh, I've wanted to do photos at Pike Place for ages! I mean, how quitessentially Seattle can you get?

I know there's a park area down there, but does it have good backgrounds for us? Would we have to deal with too much harrassment from the locals? If we're in a fairly public area, weapons cosplay is pretty much out of the question entirely.

If we're going to do this on the 10th, I need to hurry up and finish knitting Nami's sweater, and dig out her skirt fabric. And somehow get my hands on a wig.

ultimaaa
01-18-2008, 01:50 AM
O_o You're talking two opposite ends of the city there hun. *dies*You know much walking that would take?

Personally, I think it would be interesting to do the shoot in Pike Place/Water front.

Depends on what end of the waterfront you're on. Down by the ferries/Pike Place, yeah, then that's far. But around the area I was talking about (Olympic Sculpture Park, where the Art Institute campus is) is a 10-15 min walk away from Seattle Center. I used to live in that area. :]

Pike Place is really crowded, especially on weekends. =/ It'd be really hard to shoot there, plus the locals probably wouldn't be all too forgiving.

Rikkizilla
01-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Downtown seems like such an awesome idea. I'll finally have Lambo done and if not, I'll just be an Eureka-less Renton!

The 10th sounds ok too.. I just hope I can get my friends to come as I'll be across the sound with them that weekend. XD;;

AznTranquility
01-18-2008, 08:21 AM
would february be too cold for a yuffie?

The~Wind
01-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Considering it's February... Pike shouldn't be that crowded. If it is... We can just hope a bus to the place that Ultima is talking about. Besides, there are some nifty structures by the Seattle Center.

I vote for the 10th!

Darkain
01-18-2008, 05:57 PM
*poke* OKAY, I GET EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS NOW!! i r happies.

ANYWHO! 10th is perfect for me (AFAIK). and downtown seattle is great. :D

cpardo
01-18-2008, 09:53 PM
I like the idea of the Seattle Center. There are lots of open grassy areas, art, structures and the big water fountain. And it would be better for folks who have weapon props. I've taken photos there before (at the Cherry Blossom Festival) and it would be great to utilize the area better with different cosplayers. 10th sounds good, but is that enough time for folks to get their next costume/ideas ready?

Let's just pray for warmer weather!

Lady Shinsei
01-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Birthday, eh, Lady Shinsei? :toothy:

Yeah. I was planning on inviting a bunch of folks from SakuraCon's board to hang out with me at Uwajimaya (like I did last year; got some free ramen out of the deal... heh heh...).

You know, Uwajimaya would be an excellent place to cosplay - especially using the parking lot side of the building for taking photos and such. And of course, the joy of having access to buying tasty treats like Pocky. It would rock if you all wanted to go there... then I'd cosplay on my birthday for the first time ever.

Darkain
01-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah. I was planning on inviting a bunch of folks from SakuraCon's board to hang out with me at Uwajimaya (like I did last year; got some free ramen out of the deal... heh heh...).

You know, Uwajimaya would be an excellent place to cosplay - especially using the parking lot side of the building for taking photos and such. And of course, the joy of having access to buying tasty treats like Pocky. It would rock if you all wanted to go there... then I'd cosplay on my birthday for the first time ever.

it seems like reguardless of where we start, we've always wound up hitting uwajimiya at the end of the day anyways... its just a nice lil place to sit down to dinner after a hard day's work! :)

cpardo
01-19-2008, 01:04 AM

Though I know they don't allow photography inside Uwajimaya. Someone tried and they told them politely to stop. Outside is fine. The one side of Uwajimaya outside where they have manga and wall scrolls displayed in the window would be a cool spot for photos.

ultimaaa
01-19-2008, 04:45 AM
The plaza area next to Uwajimaya is nice, but only really during the day. At night it's kinda scary and not a good place for people to just hang out. .____.; The actual store/parking lot is fine though. Though personally, doing a shoot at Uwajimaya is kind of redundant for me seeing as I live in the apartments upstairs. XD

Seattle Center would be our best bet IMO. There's loooads of places to take photos and hang out.

The~Wind
01-19-2008, 12:29 PM
The plaza area next to Uwajimaya is nice, but only really during the day. At night it's kinda scary and not a good place for people to just hang out. .____.; The actual store/parking lot is fine though. Though personally, doing a shoot at Uwajimaya is kind of redundant for me seeing as I live in the apartments upstairs. XD

Seattle Center would be our best bet IMO. There's loooads of places to take photos and hang out.

I totally agree with that. I vote Seattle Center since we do want a varity of pictures with a varity of backrounds.

Though if it wasn't such a bad place sometimes, I'd say Pioneer Square...

keropan
01-19-2008, 10:42 PM

Whoa, you live up there?! That's pretty cool.
I used to work at Uwaji's a year ago, and I'd get out at closing so ditto on the area at night. It is seriously akin to bum town sometimes, especially after 9 pm and so on. My co-worker parked her car next to the old immigration building and always had bums bother her while walking down. :/

I think Seattle Center would be a nifty place. Or the Arboretum. :]

AznTranquility
01-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Sushi Land is right by the Seattle center right?

Bredward
01-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Downtown Seattle works for me.

I'll probably be wearing my Queen of Hearts costume since I didn't do it for January, and it's a good Valentine's Day one. My Ruki costume would also work because it's red, but the QoH one is almost done and fits the theme better. I'll go with the Ruki one if anyone else wants to do a j-rock cosplay.

And Lum, I've been trying to PM you, but cosplay.com is being a bitch and giving me an error message every time I try to send it. ><

ultimaaa
01-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Sushi Land is right by the Seattle center right?

Yup! A five-minute walk, really.

PhotoPanda
01-20-2008, 04:59 AM
February 10th

Seattle center

Sushiland

Lets do it!

TseUq
01-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Aight!! Im gonna try my darndest to make it down for this one ^^ I need to see you people before I go to Japan! XD So when do we think we will have a finalized date? I need to know rather quickly to book time off work >.< *as it seems even when I book a month in advance its difficult for them* XS

Im good where-ever we go...as coming from Canada, Im traveling lots already whats an extra hours drive or not XD lmfao :P

hmmmm I dont think I have any paired cosplays *but this is such an adorable theme* ... but if we do it on the 10th thats only a couple days after chinese new year <3 Im thinking FURUBA *year of the rat 8D* hehe DX oh gawd....I need to stop myself *eyes already insanely crazy list of cosplay*

Darkain
01-20-2008, 06:51 PM
thats only a couple days after chinese new year

OH MY GAWD, THANKS FOR REMINDING ME!! I gotta have the cam prepped for that event too. :)

And, it'll be great if you can make it down again!!

babybrowns
01-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Seattle Center sounds awesome location wise, and going to Sushi Land after would be great (and cheap) so I'm down.
Around what time'll we be starting?

The~Wind
01-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Seattle Center on the 10th sounds good!

I have decided on my costume for next month...

Tomonori Nakaura from Juvenile Orion.

falore
01-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Yay, looking forward to this one as well :] Date and location work well for me, so I suppose we're just debating time?

I vote for noon again 'cause it's easy to remember that XD

Kumi-chan
01-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Okies, sounds like we're agreed. February 10th, Seattle Center, start (officially) gathering at noon. Whereabouts at Seattle Center? Fountain? What's it called, Center House? (The place with the food court...haven't been in years.) I know it costs more to get in, but I kind of want to go to the Science Center after we've done photos. I love that place. *Is nerd*

I keep forgetting about the Lunar New Year. Definitely want to go to the International District if I can! They're having a celebration on the 9th. If I've got the afternoon off, I want to go. (I'm a Rat, so it's kind of special to me this year.) If not, maybe a pre-shoot trip to Uwajimaya/Kinokuniya/International Model Toys? It'd certainly ensure that I'd get down in the area early for once.

ultimaaa
01-21-2008, 02:18 AM
Maybe the fountain in front of the Space Needle? It's easy for people to find. 8D So no one will get lost~.

SvK
01-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Kumi-chan, you're a Rat? I thought you were younger, like a Rabbit or a Snake or something.

Kumi-chan
01-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Nope, I'm turning 24 this year. Two days after Sakura Con, actually.

The~Wind
01-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Do you mean the Center House Carlos? That's the place with all the food stuff. It doesn't cost anything to get in. The Science Center and various other things (would love to get shots in the EMP) cost to get in. I believe it's $15 for the EMP and the Science Fiction museum and $10(?) for the Science Center.

Eh, there's still a lot of nifty stuff around there that we can get shots at. And, we can always take the monorail to West Lake Center if we don't like the variety of food... Monorail isn't that expensive, and it would be fun to disturb the other people. ^_^

So, where shall we meet? In front of the Space Needle? Center House?

babybrowns
01-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Hmm... I vote meeting at the fountain by the whale statues. If you can find a friend there during Folklife or Bumbershoot then it'll be impossible NOT to find a group of cosplayers on a cold day in February. Buuuut if folks would rather meet inside somewhere then the Center House makes sense since it's free, but it can get crowded and I think it smells bad>.<
Anyone know if the little arcade around there is still open? DDR's like... 75 cents to play.

Satoko-san
01-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Works for me, I think I can make it, and drag ppl along too!!!

Arissa-chan
01-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Teh monkey boy sounds interested and it'll be more likely of a turn-up since it'll be on a sunday. Seattle Uwajimaya? So there. First Uwajimaya I went to with my Japanese class way back when. I wouldn't mind the nostalgia of it all. Undecided on what to wear. Black trench doesn't sound like a good idea in the internation district of Seattle. Wish I had a kimono or something. Maybe my Chinese-style gown will work. >.> And I'll have jelly straws...

Ferra
01-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Hurray for finally posting. XD I've had this account for around 3 years, but I think this might be my first post in a very long time.

I attended Gasukan in October and December, so I'm hoping I can make it to this one as well. ^^ My only possible interference might be that my birthday party (assuming I finally plan one) may overlap as they share the same weekend.

Mangochutney
01-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Black trench doesn't sound like a good idea in the internation district of Seattle. Wish I had a kimono or something. Maybe my Chinese-style gown will work. >.>

Actually there's no problem whatsoever with wearing a black trenchcoat in Chinatown--no one would look at you twice for wearing a long black coat. There are a lot of offices nearby and some people wear that sort of thing as a matter of course. It would probably be more appropriate than wearing a Chinese dress. The only people I've seen wearing that sort of thing are either:

1. Participants in a holiday event
2. Little kids on field trips.

Just wear your normal clothes. :)

SvK
01-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Just wear your normal clothes. :)
No, no, NO!

Mangochutney
01-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Correction: wear your normal clothes to walk around Chinatown.

Feel better now?

Kumi-chan
01-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Thing is, most of us go straight from the photoshoot to dinner afterward. Not everybody feels like changing.

I don't see why it's any more of a big deal to wear our cosplays to the International District than, say, Seattle Center. Where we're actually having the shoot. They're both highly public venues; either way, we're nerds in costume. I think everyone here understands that and (a) doesn't care, because we're having fun anyway, or (b) chooses a costume that can pass for normal clothing. It's up to the individual's comfort level.

As long as we behave ourselves (aka, no screaming, squealing, glomps, or copious use of fangirl Japanese) I don't see the problem with wearing what we want in any part of the city. Except, you know, no prop weapons while walking downtown.

Mangochutney
01-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Aha. I hadn't known about going from the shoot straight to dinner--that makes everything make rather more sense. Carry on.

The~Wind
01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Maybe this time my friends and I will actually be able to come to dinner! Woo~ We've got to all the Gasukans, except November's (Sakura-Con staff meeting the same day).

Satoko-san
01-24-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure if this is practical at all, but maybe someone should bring some sort of food, because I know at the last shoot, someone brought cake, and it was a huge sucess. but its just a thought XDDD:crylaugh:

Bredward
01-24-2008, 04:12 PM
I'd make a cake to bring, but I'll most likely either be taking the bus or getting dropped off so I don't want to be stuck carrying it around.

Kumi-chan
01-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Oh, I'm definitely making cake again. I told y'all, if you ever have a birthday on a shoot day (or within a couple days of one) I'd make you a cake. Just give me enough notice.

Hitokiri Kenshin
01-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Might make a batch of cookies for this one.

The~Wind
01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
*chuckles*My birthday is on a Sunday this year. So either a Con meeting will be on my birthday, or a photoshoot.

Maybe I can convince the Dragon to make some of her cupcakes for this one.

Kumi-chan
01-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Okay, so I think we're going to meet up by the International Fountain, unless the weather turns craptacular (then it'll be the Center House and we'll have to get creative with photos). Bring a jacket, everyone.

And you are all hearby strongly encouraged to bring something snackish to share with the group. I've said it before, but we're having a sort-of Valentine's party (could also be a Lunar New Year party if you're anti-Valentine). Most likely a picnic affair. You don't have to make anything: a box of storebought cookies, a bag of candy, chips, a 2L bottle of pop. If you can contribute, please do. The party won't happen without help from you guys. We will have to make sure to clean up after ourselves, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I've got an idea for a party game that utilizes our theme *wiggles eyebrows* Actually, a few games. Should be fun.

Arissa-chan
01-26-2008, 11:06 AM
I could dress as a female Kyo (Furuba) in Khakis and black shirt and shtuff, and I'd have to redo the bracelet. I have the Scruffy wig that'll work, it's just....medium blonde. And my eyebrows are dark, but I dunno what to do with them, anyways. Might look funny...and the black trench I have in mind in bringing has the red butterfly and kanji on it (I need to put the symbols on the sleeves but when I write kanji characters they are full of suck), that's why I was skeptical about it. Still kind of am.

AznTranquility
01-26-2008, 05:09 PM
WOOO I'm liking the theme! Pair cosplays <3 <3
It'll be my first pair cosplay heehee
going to try to find a jacket for kyon today...or make one. T.T

kumi: what kind of games? I'll remember to bring snacks =)

Kumi-chan
01-28-2008, 11:20 PM
"It's a secret!"
Actually, I haven't figured out the specifics yet, but I know at least one of them will involve red yarn.

So, actual new cosplay this time around! As in, new wig, new character, everything! I'm doing Nami from One Piece. Should be interesting; this is the first cosplay I've done a knitted piece for. Just ordered the wig, and it should be here within a week. Picked up the pipe for the staff today (still need the orbs and paint for it) and now I'm working on the skirt.

feyith
01-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Well, it was fun while it lasted...but I'm going to have to give up costumes for a while. Last month one of my cats had a $3,000 surgery and this month my other cat is having medical problems. :(

This seems like the most reasonable budget to pull it out of and go back to working on weekends.

Have fun, get hella full on sushi and take lots of pictures for me! :)

Hitokiri Kenshin
01-30-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry.

The~Wind
01-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm nervous and excited about this costume. I just want to get it done, but at the same time... It's the whole monies issue and a lack of job.

*sighs*It'll be alright. That's what tax returns are for, right?

cpardo
01-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Well, it was fun while it lasted...but I'm going to have to give up costumes for a while. Last month one of my cats had a $3,000 surgery and this month my other cat is having medical problems. :(

This seems like the most reasonable budget to pull it out of and go back to working on weekends.

Oh feyith I know that my sister's cats had medical problems where she had to dish out a lot of dough so I understand. But I think Gasukan will be around for a while when you can come back :).

Amidoji
01-30-2008, 10:04 PM

Give your babies loves and smoochies from me. My boy is literally still drugged becuase of the oral surgery he had today. I dunno if I'll be able to afford this photoshoot and still make it to the two cons I have in March.

Darkain
01-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Hey, can someone come up with and make an official GasuKan logo/icon? I want a 100px by 100px icon for GasuKan for a little project I'm working on...

Kumi-chan
01-31-2008, 01:53 AM
I'll see if I can come up with something. I haven't done it in a while, but I do enjoy graphic design.

TseUq
01-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey, can someone come up with and make an official GasuKan logo/icon? I want a 100px by 100px icon for GasuKan for a little project I'm working on...

Ahahaha totally would if I could, but I fail in that category XD
Mine would look something like:

GASUKAN: Established since Oct. 2007 rofl

Anywho, for all you Washingtiniors, does anyone know how the highways DOWN to Seattle are? We dont get all that much coverage on the specifics up here other than: ITS SNOWING! >.< lol :P ... I have a 93' toyota camry sedan T_T So if the snow keeps coming I dont know if I can make it down V__V

Cosplay Hunter
01-31-2008, 07:08 PM

YEEOUCH!! So sorry to hear about your cats. I hope they recover soon. Cosplay or no, you're more than welcome to come and hang out with us whenever you can.

Kumi-chan -
I'd also would be interested in a copy of the logo. I believe I can use the same 100x100 size Darkain requested.

I also may have a cracked-out idea or two for games - also involving red string/yarn (also still hashing out the details). I'll bring extra... :bigtu:

The~Wind
01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Ahahaha totally would if I could, but I fail in that category XD
Mine would look something like:

GASUKAN: Established since Oct. 2007 rofl

Anywho, for all you Washingtiniors, does anyone know how the highways DOWN to Seattle are? We dont get all that much coverage on the specifics up here other than: ITS SNOWING! >.< lol :P ... I have a 93' toyota camry sedan T_T So if the snow keeps coming I dont know if I can make it down V__V

I-5 is pretty clear coming down, It's just I-90 (which goes east to west) you need to worry about.

SvK
02-01-2008, 02:34 AM
YEEOUCH!! So sorry to hear about your cats. I hope they recover soon. Cosplay or no, you're more than welcome to come and hang out with us whenever you can.

What he said. Besides, the costumes you already have are cool. You don't need to make a new one every month. However, It may be difficult to attend Gasukan and go to work at the same time.

P.S. I was scanning the replies and not paying attention to who was posting, so when I quoted this post I almost said "What she said."

TseUq
02-01-2008, 02:53 AM
I-5 is pretty clear coming down, It's just I-90 (which goes east to west) you need to worry about.

Awesome!!! Thank you ^^ Lets keep it this way XD

ultimaaa
02-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Eeeep.

So uh, I'm not sure how many of you keep up with the daily dealings of "Anonymous", but some of you I'm certain probably know of the whole Anonymous vs. Church of Scientology thing that's going on. Apparently there are real life protests being planned, that just so happen to coincide with the same date of our gathering, February 10th.

There appears to be a protest happening at Seattle Center, though I'm not sure how that will affect us seeing as there is room for doubt that these will actually be happening. However, it would be in our best interest to try not bringing too much attention to ourselves, as both the CoS and the media are seemingly aware of this.

I figured I should post this out of concern for the people attending, and as a warning in case we get people on our case about it. Safety is the number one issue here. I don't want to see any of our wonderful cosplayers getting harassed over the whole thing.

falore
02-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow, thanks for the warning @@

Clashing with the CoS would certainly not make for a pleasant cosplay experience. I should hope they don't have a problem with us, so if we stay out of the way, I think we'll be fine. No prodding the protesters. (!)

The~Wind
02-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Eeeep.

So uh, I'm not sure how many of you keep up with the daily dealings of "Anonymous", but some of you I'm certain probably know of the whole Anonymous vs. Church of Scientology thing that's going on. Apparently there are real life protests being planned, that just so happen to coincide with the same date of our gathering, February 10th.

There appears to be a protest happening at Seattle Center, though I'm not sure how that will affect us seeing as there is room for doubt that these will actually be happening. However, it would be in our best interest to try not bringing too much attention to ourselves, as both the CoS and the media are seemingly aware of this.

I figured I should post this out of concern for the people attending, and as a warning in case we get people on our case about it. Safety is the number one issue here. I don't want to see any of our wonderful cosplayers getting harassed over the whole thing.

Oh shit... My costume for this photoshoot is a Catholic priest... Oh shit... Oh shit! *cries*

SvK
02-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Perhaps we could relocate. Gasworks is still awesome.

ultimaaa
02-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Relocating is a very good idea, though I'm not sure how well that'll pan over so close to the date. :/ Gasworks is our best bet, since I'm looking at UW and there's protests planned in that area as well. What a mess...

Arissa-chan
02-02-2008, 11:14 AM
No kidding (thanks for catching me up on the times, btw, Ultima). Yes, GasWorks would be neat to go back to...I just hope that I stay for a longer period of time, make more friends, hang out without annoying people, yadda, yadda. Oh, and hopefully it'll be warm and sunny...I know it probably won't. So, if we do relocate to GasWorks, is that where we will stay, or will we still travel around?
And I would love to do the GasuKan logo, but I am devoid of dreamweaver and/or photoshop...*cry*.

Kumi-chan
02-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh dear...perhaps you're right. Maybe we should relocate. Not that I like changing what I'm doing to humor small-minded people, but it would be less of a hassle for us.

I'll send out messages to everyone here and on cosspace about the issues we're facing and see what everybody thinks. If enough people respond thinking we should change, I'll change the venue. I'll have our location set by this Sunday evening.

AznTranquility
02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Um I don't think we should move depending on the amount of protestors. What if there were like 10 people protesting? Seattle center is large and we can do our photoshoot on the other side.
But yeah if there were 200 people protesting I think we should move...

iheartexploding
02-02-2008, 03:06 PM
i need to make friends to get transportation to these wonderful things.

lol

i am teh lame and cant drive or bus due to certain reasons...

but if i can convince someone i will be there or try anyway...

Kumi-chan
02-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Eh, sorry everyone. Work has killed me this weekend.

I believe we will keep Seattle Center, but if things look like they're going to get out of hand (large number of protesters, protesters hassling cosplayers, etc.) we can move to Gasworks.

I'm wondering...if the protest is taking place in the area of the International Fountain, we may want to move the meet-up location. Since it's such a central area, this may be an issue. I don't know for certain, though.

ultimaaa
02-04-2008, 04:38 AM
As far as I know, they're meeting in front of the Space Needle. I don't actually know the specific names of places in Seattle Center (for me it's like "the giant fountain-thing in the back" or "under the orange pipe thing" lol). ^^;

SvK
02-04-2008, 07:28 AM
I was about to post how democracy is lame and we needed our fearless leader to make an executive decision, but she's too quick for me!

Where can I park near Seattle Center?

The~Wind
02-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Alright then... Trench coat it is... Oh, I just love humorless religions and religious people.

SvK
02-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm annoyed that there's another group of people who met online that will be gathering and wearing masks.

Kumi-chan
02-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Parking: http://seattle.citysearch.com/feature/30521/
Map: http://seattle.citysearch.com/profile/map/11279342/seattle_wa/seattle_center.html

If you have three or more people in your car you can get a reduced rate at some of the lots, so carpool if you can.

Arissa-chan
02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I think I'll leave the trench at home and just go as female Kyo...somehow...or something...

Lady Shinsei
02-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately, I'll not be able to attend this event after all. Since it's the same day as my birthday, I'm unable to go because my parents have big plans (they won't say what it is, just that it'll be a blast).

However, I'm having a birthday get-together at Uwajimaya the day before and if anyone wishes to come, you may (And maybe even in cosplay, if you're daring enough!) The meet-up place is around the fountain in front of the Herfy's inside the building, and it'll be at 2pm. Bring snacks or something else to share if you like.

hyori
02-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey yo yo. hooray for another gasukan! i'll try to bring some snackies to make up for my lapse last time. ^^;; so the finalized meeting spot was decided to be the center house to escape the scientologists?

wow, how many times do you ever get to say that sentence? (^^)b

Kumi-chan
02-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Nah, meeting spot is still the International Fountain (the big, deep one with the ball that spits at you). Unless it's raining hard or really windy, and then we will meet inside the Center House.

I tried finding information myself, but I guess I don't know which sites to go to/Google failed me. According to ultima, who's been providing most of the information, the protest is meeting in front of the Space Needle.
Map of Seattle Center: http://www.seattlecenter.com/information/map.asp

Space Needle is at 24, International Fountain is at 17. There's enough distance between the two to minimalize any problems. Even if we're at the Center House (31-34) there's still quite a bit of ground separating us.

Just, you know, try not to antagonize any protesty type people you see. We don't want any trouble.

The~Wind
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
If Mom remembers to get chocolate chips, I'll make my infamous chocolate mint snapers, for those of you who where at the Sakura-Con Christmas party or are friends with me, know...

Darkain
02-05-2008, 09:52 PM
If Mom remembers to get chocolate chips, I'll make my infamous chocolate mint snapers, for those of you who where at the Sakura-Con Christmas party or are friends with me, know...

did you say "MINT"??? thars no question about it, it MUST happen!!

SvK
02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
The protesters are going to be masked Internet people, not Scientologists. They're marching on the Scientology building near #15 on the map.

ultimaaa
02-05-2008, 10:38 PM
The protesters will be just as easy to spot as us. Most of them are following the dress code of Anonymous, which is suits + V for Vendetta mask/other face coverings. So really, avoiding each other should be easy.

If anything, I'm more concerned with the media or people associated with the CoS harassing us. If that happens, don't make a big fuss of it. Just politely clarify that we are in no way associated with the protesters, and that we are just doing our own thing. No need to get into long and complicated explanations. That should work in most cases. If it doesn't, then don't get angry or anything, that would just be bad for both our and the protest's cause. Again, explain the situation and hope that they leave us alone. Don't take it upon yourself to "handle it". Calling a security guard should be your last resort.

Like I said earlier though, if we keep to ourselves and don't cause a commotions (read: less noise, don't disrupt other patrons of the park, etc) then we should be fine.

Arissa-chan
02-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Monkey boy doesn't want to go...*pout* And he told me he was looking forward to it last month!

rockthedojo
02-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Im BACK >.< Sorry for the dissappearance ive been outta town in a non internet place =o/ Anyways Ill try to make this shoot just cause probably no new costumes... Its gonna be hard enough to finish my ifrit in time for Sakuracon let alone any other cosplays. Ill put Guile aside til next year >.< but i might get crazy and go to work on Gambit thats not a very hard one.

As it is my Ifrit is probably going to be a Skit piece only and pictures after the skit and such depends on what the convention staff is going to allow me to do in it... Youll be the only people really thats gonna know its coming ima sneak it in and bust it out in my skit hopefully =oO dun tell anyone ssshhhh its a secret ^^

OMG Hyori ... thats a Mithra Corsair on your pic FYI =oP Rockthedojo = Avataru: Summoner/WhiteMage

Hitokiri Kenshin
02-06-2008, 01:04 AM
I'll bring cookies.

Kumi-chan
02-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Made adjustments in the head post to reflect the clarifications about the protest.

AznTranquility
02-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Actually considering the respectable behavior everyone was exhibiting at the last UW shoot [Suzallo Grand library], I doubt we’ll experience trouble on our part =)

PhotoPanda
02-06-2008, 02:56 PM
dude if we get come attention we could try to advertise sakuracon and gasukan on TV! let the shut in Otakus know we're out there!! YEAHH!!

ultimaaa
02-06-2008, 05:59 PM
dude if we get come attention we could try to advertise sakuracon and gasukan on TV! let the shut in Otakus know we're out there!! YEAHH!!

I'd really advise against doing that, actually. ^^;;; Better to not bring attention to ourselves in this case, as it would be negative attention.

hyori
02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
aaw, no love for the closet otakus who believe they're alone in this cold, cruel world. oh well, they'll just have to come to Sakura-Con.

Satoko-san
02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
so.... are we still meeting at SC, at noon? o.o

Kumi-chan
02-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Yes. If you're ever confused, check the head post: I update it whenever anything changes.

The~Wind
02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Yay for big fountains~ I just hope it's not on...

Airika
02-08-2008, 03:43 AM
Just wanted to announce, I'll be there :3

BiZ
02-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I am to be going, too~Any pretty thing I can try to bring for snacking?

The~Wind
02-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I am to be go going, too~Any pretty thing I can try to bring for snacking?

Woo~Hoo honey! Glad you can come.

Now everyone, be nice to BiZ, this is her first photoshoot and first cosplay event outside of Sakura-Con 2007. Be nice or I will smite you!

falore
02-09-2008, 01:19 AM
I think we’re all nice people? :d

feyith
02-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Can someone call me if you guys are gonna go to Sushiland? I may be broke but I still gotta eat ;) and would love to see everyone's awesome costumes! :)

BiZ
02-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Woo~Hoo honey! Glad you can come.

Now everyone, be nice to BiZ, this is her first photoshoot and first cosplay event outside of Sakura-Con 2007. Be nice or I will smite you!

I'm all twittery~ x]

keropan
02-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I've had a crappy track record with these ever since the first one. There's always something that comes up, midterms or just... life in general. (The theme sounds so adorable too... sigh.) Anyway, I hope everyone has fun tomorrow, and stay dry and warm! :)

Kumi-chan
02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
*this is my ANGRY face!*

So I can't find the sweater I knitted for Nami. Which means I'm making a replacement out of polarfleece for tomorrow. I'm sure the real one will turn up about two days after the shoot, but it's not in the box with my knitting projects where it's supposed to be. I'm just a teensy, tiny bit pissed off.

In other news, I do not have time to make a cake. I wanted to, but it's just not feasible with the shifts I had at the end of this week. I'll be picking one up from the bakery tomorrow instead.

Not too happy tonight, but hopefully that'll change by tomorrow. See you guys.

cpardo
02-10-2008, 01:30 AM
No problem Kumi-chan we appreciate you trying to make cakes for Gasukan it's great! It will still be a fun time. I'm sure Sanji won't mind what Nami wears lol!

I'm bringing some candy for everybody, and some kiddy valentines too. Hope you all enjoy them.

See y'all soon!

ultimaaa
02-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Just an update on the CoS thing - it looks like the main protest is starting at Pike Place Market at 10AM, then marching to the CoS down on Aurora Ave. As far as I know there isn't anything major planned at Seattle Center, so we should be okay. If there is something, I anticipate it to be small. However, there's a chance they'll be going past Seattle Center, so still be cautious. I'm sure we'll be far enough within the park that it won't affect us, but you never know.

Anyways, see you all there! I need to get back to sewing, lol.

Hitokiri Kenshin
02-10-2008, 02:18 AM
Just finished my cookies. Might make more in the morning before leaving, but 16 may be enough.

Kumi-chan
02-10-2008, 03:18 AM
Staff's done and painted and drying in the garage (looks awesome!). Top's halfway done, should just take another hour at most. Sandals aren't going to be perfect, but the style I got for the base is close enough on its own to work.

I think I know exactly which cake I'm getting. Saw it at the bakery today, and it's too cute to pass up. Hope the weather's amicable. See ya!

feyith
02-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Nvm...thanks guys for PM'ing me about my phone number for food but it turns out I have to work this afternoon. Wah!!! Have fun and take lots of peectures for me! :(

Marlinspike
02-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I didn't get to grab your names, but I saw a group (a small break off, really) at Westlake, and you guys looked really amazing. I mostly asked if you guys were from these forums, haha. I didn't get a chance to mention it, but you all looked really great!

I didn't know how else to contact you all, haha.

SvK
02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
I was amazed by how many people showed up. I had fun, even though it was cold outside and pairing up for silly photos was slower than expected. I really appreciate all the free food people brought. Thank you. For future reference, don't bother carpooling if you're only going 3 to 5 blocks. It's much faster to walk.

cpardo
02-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Let's give a cheer to Kumi-chan for making this all possible!

A 4th Gasukan, and there was an estimated attendance of 70 people: cosplayers, photographers and others. It can only get better from here.

I took about 60 photos--I'll start putting them up tomorrow or maybe tonight!

BiZ
02-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Hip-hip-HOORAY~

It was so gorgeous meeting you all. I felt so welcome and I hope I can keep in contact with a good few of you before SakuraCon rolls about. x]

The~Wind
02-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I was in awe of how many people where there! It was so cool! I'm sad that we didn't get to finish our silly photos. T_T Made for a sad Michi~ I can't wait to see how all the pictures turned out.

I was the one in the priest's outfit in case anyone was wondering. I just hope I looked alright. x.x

ShinWHO
02-11-2008, 01:03 AM
A 4th Gasukan, and there was an estimated attendance of 70 people: cosplayers, photographers and others. It can only get better from here.

WHAT?! Are you serious?

I blew through Seattle Center from Queen Anne after watching someone get fished out of Lake Union via helicopter. I grabbed a few quick shots of about 15 people and continued to the Smash Bros. Brawl event (with over 100 people :eek: ). I'd loved to have stuck around and socialized if I knew there'd be that many people.

BTW...Didn't really notice Hitokiri Kenshi as Akuma til I looked at my pictures later. Nice man, nice!

Hitokiri Kenshin
02-11-2008, 05:33 AM
I wasn't Akuma. I was Ebisu from Naruto.

The~Wind
02-11-2008, 10:09 AM
For anyone interested, I will have the photos from the past two Gasukans I've taken pictures at with me at Sakura-Con this year. Now, I will be scanning them in whenever I can get to Darkain's place to do so.

I can try to make prints for anyone who would like them, though it make take a while.

Hitokiri Kenshin
02-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Got my pics done:

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/103242/

Omega Corn
02-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Crap, couldn't make it unfortunately! First Gasukan I've missed :bigcry:

Looking forward to more pics tures.

No problems with The Protestors I take it?

Ichigo=15
02-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Here are pics:

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/103327/

Another great Gasukon in my view. If there isn't another one in the near future, then see you all at Sakura Con.

falore
02-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Argh, of all Gasukans to miss T^T... and I was just heading out before car troubles arose! Oh well, glad to see such an awesome turnout! And awaiting photos eagerly :)

Kumi-chan
02-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Could've sworn I wrote something yesterday...dang site shut me down when I tried to put it up.

Wow. Best turnout ever, in our most public setting yet, with some of the best costumes I've seen yet. Behavior was very good for the most part. The only problem I saw was that we were so big we kept spilling into the public walkways, but I think we managed ourselves pretty well. I think we left a fairly positive impression on the public. We definitely got noticed. The number of passersby who stopped to talk to us and take pictures was pretty large this time around, and as far as I saw, their reactions were positive. This is important, not just for GasuKan's future, but for that of other cosplayers in the Seattle area.

As I said at the shoot, and many of you have guessed, there is not going to be a GasuKan for March. The majority of us will be attending Sakura Con at the end of the month, and this is also a busy time of year if you attend school. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to be spending almost all my free time for the next month and a half sewing and styling wigs.

However! If anyone's interested, we may do a meetup lunch/picnic at Sakura Con itself, just to reconnect with each other. Not sure which day. If we do a meetup I may think about making some flyers to pass out to advertise future GasuKans, just to increase our profile with Seattle-area cosplayers who may not get on the boards here.

--------------------
Since con season is heating up, we'll probably move to a less-frequent photoshoot schedule for the summer, perhaps every other month. I'm thinking our next shoot is going to be in May. And I do have a location in mind! There's a park on the beach up here in Edmonds that I think would be perfect for a shoot. A rocky beach, lots of woods, and downtown Edmonds nearby (small town atmosphere, pretty houses, and interesting shops for backgrounds). There's also the Edmonds-Kingston ferry terminal nearby. It's a while off, but I've been wanting to host an official photoshoot on my home turf.

We will return to Gasworks eventually. I'd also like to hold another shoot in downtown Tacoma sometime, since the buildings there were gorgeous. We still haven't used the Arboretum yet, and there's a garden in the International District I'd like to check out. I'm going to start mapping things out further in advance, to give everybody more warning as to theme and location.

Thank you to everyone who showed up this time! I had a great time, despite the cold weather (my own fault for not bringing my coat along/choosing more appropriate costumes for the season). The afterparty at Uwajimaya's was a lot of fun too.

See you all at Sakura Con and GasuKan 5.0!

Darkain
02-12-2008, 02:36 AM
i've been busy with business, so i havnt gotten to the pics yet... but i just want to add my 2 cents in right now about the event..

uuhhmm... COLD??? hahahaaa!!!

okay, seriously, it was great. it appears we just so happened to pick the same spot/time as a photography club/class. i didnt get a chance to talk to any of these other photographers personally, but from what i heard from some of our cosplayers that did, the extra photographers said we were a "dream come true" to them. its not every day photographers just happen upon wonderfully interesting subjects that are soooo open to having their photos taken! (trust me, i know from experience)

WOAH! did we have a lot of people OR WHAT?? i spent about half the time simply dealing with pre-con business with various people, so i really only managed individual pics of maybe 1/3rd of the attendees if i'm lucky. i'll have the pics up in the next couple of days.

MARCH COSPLAY
As its been said time and time again, there is no GasuKan in March. Why? THIS IS WHY!

March 1-2: Chibi-Chibi-Con in Olympia. 2 day event at the college campus down there. ITS FREE!!! Just show up! Its as the name implies, they have quite a bit of stuff going on, but in an extremely small fashion!

March 13-16: Anime Oasis Nana. While it may be in Idaho, there are still plenty of us Seattle area people going. (and if you ARE, please let me know, as I'm one of them and would like to discuss things with you)

March 21-23: NowWesCon... its sci-fi, not anime. and if you dont know about this con, dont ask... :P

March 28-30: THE MAIN EVENT, SAKURA-CON 2008!!! if you're not there, then you simply cannot call yourself a cosplayer... hahahaa!!

Kumi-chan
02-12-2008, 02:51 AM
it appears we just so happened to pick the same spot/time as a photography club/class. i didnt get a chance to talk to any of these other photographers personally, but from what i heard from some of our cosplayers that did, the extra photographers said we were a "dream come true" to them. its not every day photographers just happen upon wonderfully interesting subjects that are soooo open to having their photos taken! (trust me, i know from experience)

This cracks me up for reasons I don't quite understand. What do they call that? Serendipity? At least it explains all the folks around us with the nice cameras. I was starting to wonder if it's a regular occurance with all the tourists that come to Seattle Center, that there would be so many folks with cameras at the ready, but a lot of them didn't look like they were toting standard tourist equipment.

And wow, that's quite an events schedule. I don't think I can make any of them except for Sakura Con myself. I can't get the time off work, not without jeopordizing SC. Plus, you know...gotta work on costumes. I've got some big projects that are going to keep me occupied.

TseUq
02-12-2008, 04:42 AM
March 28-30: THE MAIN EVENT, SAKURA-CON 2008!!! if you're not there, then you simply cannot call yourself a cosplayer... hahahaa!!

*tears up* but....but....I can still think of myself as one....right?

Anywho, coming down from Canadia, I always enjoy these events and always think its worth the trip to hang out and cosplay!
It almost had a 'con atmosphere' with all the people around XD

Im especially thankful I was able to make it this month as Im not going to be at SakuraCon this year =_= Am going to JAPAN!!! *which is good too* But I met even *more* people this Gasukan, so am a little sad to not be attending T_T

Anywho, see you all next time around!

The~Wind
02-12-2008, 09:44 AM
I'd also like to hold another shoot in downtown Tacoma sometime, since the buildings there were gorgeous. We still haven't used the Arboretum yet, and there's a garden in the International District I'd like to check out. I'm going to start mapping things out further in advance, to give everybody more warning as to theme and location.

I can help with that! ^_^ I spend all my time lately in downtown Tacoma and along Pacific Avenue, so I know good areas. Plus, there's the antique district that's just awesome for photos. *knows because she's done shoots there*

*coughs*Had an idea for a future Gasukan... Possible Villians in downtown Tacoma? The downtown area just has that feel to it. *whistles innocently*

Kumi-chan
02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe Morally Dubious or something? I like the idea but, umm, some of us just can't pull off evil. Some of us still have a puffy baby face even though some of us are almost 24.

The closest character I have to evil is Shampoo, and she doesn't qualify. She's just selfish. ^^'

TseUq: Of course you can! *huggles* You go to AE, right? I think of that as a good cosplayer's con, with the lovely scenery that's available at Simon Fraser.

Besides, Japan > Sakura Con. I love SC, but if I had the chance to skip it and go to Japan, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Preferably when there was a con that I could attend in Japan so I'd have a legitimate reason to cosplay there...

The~Wind
02-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Maybe Morally Dubious or something? I like the idea but, umm, some of us just can't pull off evil. Some of us still have a puffy baby face even though some of us are almost 24.

The closest character I have to evil is Shampoo, and she doesn't qualify. She's just selfish. ^^'

Whatever... All I know is the next photoshoot in Tacoma... I am so being Brad Crawford from Weiss Kreuz.

Next photoshoot... I know who I want to cosplay that costume is already done and I love it!

Bredward
02-13-2008, 01:19 AM
I missed another one. D=
-headdesk-

But at least I did something productive while I was missing it. I got six piercings. Which will make my Ruki cosplay pretty hardcore, should I finish it in time. >>

Still planning on going to ChibiChibicon and Norwescon [for Saturday and Sunday, anyway].

cpardo
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi kids. Most of my photos from Gasukan 4 are up now:

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/103237/

Enjoy!

babybrowns
02-13-2008, 03:01 PM
I love the idea of morally dubious characters and city shots! but didn't a lot of people have a problem with tacoma?

cpardo
02-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I love the idea of morally dubious characters and city shots! but didn't a lot of people have a problem with tacoma?

Just that exit signs weren't very clear to where the park was and a few people got lost. Also the security at the Tacoma Mall treated us like criminals, but that was mostly due to previous incidents involving troublemakers and a shooting. Still, I don't like that mall anymore. Personally I get nervous in Tacoma because of it's bad rep for crime, not to mention Tacoma people (businesses) don't treat out of towners as well (from my own personal experience).

The park itself was fine just kind of cold. Wouldn't mind going back there when it's warmer.

Darkain
02-13-2008, 05:59 PM
I now have my collection of photos up over at my new cosplay site.

GasuKan 4 Photos by Cosplay Meetup (http://www.cosplaymeetup.com/events/GasuKan_4/gallery/)

Also, has anyone come up with an icon for GasuKan yet?

The~Wind
02-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Just that exit signs weren't very clear to where the park was and a few people got lost. Also the security at the Tacoma Mall treated us like criminals, but that was mostly due to previous incidents involving troublemakers and a shooting. Still, I don't like that mall anymore. Personally I get nervous in Tacoma because of it's bad rep for crime, not to mention Tacoma people (businesses) don't treat out of towners as well (from my own personal experience).

The park itself was fine just kind of cold. Wouldn't mind going back there when it's warmer.

There are parts of Tacoma you do not want to be caught in during the night, but Downtown and the larger areas are pretty okay at night. I mean, yeah... It's not always good down here, but that's the same for most big cities. The Tacoma Mall ain't always the best, but it's getting better. I guess you just need locals with you when you do things. I dunno, I've always found places in Tacoma to be welcoming.

To me, it's you've just got to be smart about things. *shrugs*

BiZ
02-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Am I allowed to nab a picture or two--with proper credit to the photographer, of course--?

Darkain
02-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Am I allowed to nab a picture or two--with proper credit to the photographer, of course--?

of course, go for it!! :D

SvK
02-14-2008, 01:58 AM
27 photos (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i39/q3rocketlauncher/Gasukan%204/?mediafilter=all)

Pretty much everyone I met on Sunday was cool. I say "pretty much" because I met some people for only a few seconds, so I couldn't make a proper assessment. I heard more than I wanted to know about Kakashi's and Zabusa's personal lives, and I'm pretty sure everyone in Sushiland heard more than they wanted to as well. Patty, did we get you grounded? I was surprised by the number of costumes, and the number of big cameras on tripods aimed at them. Why were all the girls boys? At least some boys were girls to make up for it. Since Gasukan is so big, we should be careful about being good neighbors, by making sure we don't obstruct traffic, annoy people too much, or leave a mess.

My costume was a bust, but apparently the knife was fun for several people, just like the guns were at previous Gasukans. Maybe I should abandon costumes and just bring a new weapon every month. I also like photography, so I could specialize in things that shoot.

AznTranquility
02-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Way too cool and windy
yet fun and everyone was really nice =)

if you guys want to meet up and have fun try coming to Matsuri!

I've never been so don't know how fun/interesting it will be...Copy pasted from their page:

Time and PlaceDate:
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Time:
5:00pm - 9:00pm
City/Town:
Seattle, WA [University of washington]

This is the biggest Japanese cultural event on campus for winter quarter! We're going to be celebrating the Setsubun 節分, signalling the change of the season. As spring begins to kick in, we'll be celebrating that by bringing in new happiness.

We'll be holding the event in the East Ballroom of the HUB where music, games, food, and prizes will be featured! Come out and enjoy all the sights of sounds of Matsuri. Admission is free and everyone is welcome including students of the UW and the Washington community at large.

SOME PERFORMANCES INCLUDE:
+ Japanese Taiko
+ HKSA Band
+ UW Kendo Display
+ Tokyo Street Style Fashion Show
+ Yosakoi Traditional Dance
+ JaSka Performance

SOME FOOD WE'LL BE SERVING:
- Japanese Curry
- Kara age
- Tonkatsu
- Okonomiyaki
- Yakisoba
- And much, much more!!!

*** Feel free to wear your yukata if you have one.
Let's make this Matsuri feel as authentic as possible.

Check out the "Matsuri" web site for more details:
http://www.students.washington.edu/jsa/matsuri.html

Cosplay Hunter
02-14-2008, 07:52 PM
:bigtu: Great turn-out this time around - dispite the cold! Thank you, Kumi-chan for setting everything up and for bringing the cake!

Sorry the pair shoots didn't go entirely as planned (I think I left off at 11,12,13..), but I did catch some cracked parings (pig finding religion?). :p It probably would have been better if I had set us up to take over the stage in the food court (*gives Rai-chan credit for idea*) or split the group up between the photographers. Oh, well - lessons learned... :)

One of the highlights was a mother asking Porco Rosso to crash her daughter's birthday party to wish her 'Happy Birthday'. Apparently, he was her favorite character.

As always, it was a blast. I'll have pics posted soon! (provided my site stays up long enough... :mad: )

babybrowns
02-15-2008, 01:35 AM

>.< wow, sounds like horrible.
Y'know if you ignore the existence of Westlake, Downtown Seattle has some -awesome- places to take pictures. Rai (Hibari) and Dani (Matt) took a bunch of gorgeous ones before the crossover gasukan and the variety of locations was great. Could possibly link to examples?

matsuri
02-15-2008, 08:04 AM
I had a great time at Gasukan4.
I am looking forward to meeting to you at Sakura-Con!

kumi-chan!Thank you for your help!!

StrawberryLum
02-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Had to cut my trip short, *waves*, so I'm back early, sadly, not early enough for the shoot. It looks like it was tons of fun!
Hope we're able to do something during SC'08, as I'm sure there will be a small bit of time people will be available.
Tacome isn't all that bad (Seattle is much worse, IMHO, though I know a lot of people wouldn't agree), especially in the Northen bits, like near the waterfront, Point Defiance, and the Ruston Way area. It's especially pretty around Old Town, with all the cute shops and homes and some of the roads are still cobblestone.
And it would be quite cool if we can have a shoot in May, that'll be my birthday month (21 years old ftw!). :-D

Bredward
02-16-2008, 06:03 AM
Had to cut my trip short, *waves*, so I'm back early, sadly, not early enough for the shoot. It looks like it was tons of fun!
Hope we're able to do something during SC'08, as I'm sure there will be a small bit of time people will be available.
Tacome isn't all that bad (Seattle is much worse, IMHO, though I know a lot of people wouldn't agree), especially in the Northen bits, like near the waterfront, Point Defiance, and the Ruston Way area. It's especially pretty around Old Town, with all the cute shops and homes and some of the roads are still cobblestone.
And it would be quite cool if we can have a shoot in May, that'll be my birthday month (21 years old ftw!). :-D
That sucks. Were you able to visit all of the places you wanted to go?

Having a little Gasukan group gathering during the con would be cool. I think Sunday would be a good day for something like that.

Yeah, I practically live in Tacoma and I'm in Seattle three days a week, so I like to think that I would have some perspective on this matter. Both cities just depend on what neighborhood you're in and what time you're there.

PhotoPanda
02-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey Just got my pictures up now! I actually have a new site - not too different, but one that let's you pick the size of the picture and rightclick - Save!! Sorry everyone! i diddnt know you couldnt do that on my older one! but the new address is below, and the link in my sig has been updated as well!!

www.Photopanda.Smugmug.com

jyoshimitsu
02-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Hey Just got my pictures up now! I actually have a new site - not too different, but one that let's you pick the size of the picture and rightclick - Save!! Sorry everyone! i diddnt know you couldnt do that on my older one! but the new address is below, and the link in my sig has been updated as well!!

www.Photopanda.Smugmug.com

dope pix! those ones.. of me... staring at you... in fear... hahaha

first gasukan, but not the last. see you all at sakuracon!

Darkain
02-17-2008, 01:17 PM
mmm, quick question... did anyone ever come up with a GasuKan icon? I want it to throw into some promotional materials that I'm working on currently.

Lady Shinsei
02-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I could whip one up real nice if someone could give me some ideas of how it can be cleverly symbolized...

Cosplay Hunter
02-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Pics finally posted (http://www.cosplayhunter.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=24195&g2_GALLERYSID=83f31ef3968a44759e5d24d299a0d0e3) (just over 100 total)! :toothy:

I'm also interested in a copy of the logo for the galleries.

Darkain
02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.cosplaymeetup.com/events/Chibi-Chibi-Con/

Okay, its that time again. Its time for the smallest anime convention in the northwest, Chibi-Chibi-Con! This Saturday and Sunday (March 1-2), come join us for some random awesomeness. Check the link above for details.

I should be there both days with my camera, providing photoshoots, and just generally hanging out (and rocking out in the video game room). Stop on by and check it out!

Darkain
03-02-2008, 10:28 PM
We had somewhere in the range of 20-30 GasuKan people show up to Chibi-Chibi-Con this weekend. While there, we dubbed it "GasuKan 4.25"!! I'll have pics uploaded probably tomorrow.

Now, an idea we're all be passing around.... "GasuKan 4.5", a group get-together at Sakura-Con 2008! How does Con-Sunday 1:00 PM sound to everyone for this?

Rikkizilla
03-02-2008, 11:29 PM
That sounds awesome!!

StrawberryLum
03-03-2008, 01:08 AM
I'd definitly be there! Me and my luggage. :-D (having to checkout from the hotel at like 10 and having nowhere to store ze bags and all)

cpardo
03-03-2008, 02:04 AM
We had somewhere in the range of 20-30 GasuKan people show up to Chibi-Chibi-Con this weekend. While there, we dubbed it "GasuKan 4.25"!! I'll have pics uploaded probably tomorrow.

Now, an idea we're all be passing around.... "GasuKan 4.5", a group get-together at Sakura-Con 2008! How does Con-Sunday 1:00 PM sound to everyone for this?

Hey 20-30 that's a good #! Sorry I could not be there. Saturday I had to attend a funeral for one of my cousins unfortunately. Sunday I had to work in the morning for about 4 hours.

Kumi-chan constructed a powerful barrier around her cosplay compound to keep all distractions away from her hard work on our SC costumes. Once she emerges we'll see her beautiful work, and she'll be pleased with that turn out. I can't speak for her, but Sunday is probably a good day for a meetup seeing me, her--us 2 have plenty of plans for Friday and Saturday at SC, while Sunday we should be free.

woop got to go to bed!

SvK
03-03-2008, 03:28 AM
I'd definitly be there! Me and my luggage. :-D (having to checkout from the hotel at like 10 and having nowhere to store ze bags and all)

I've been able to check bags after checking out of a hotel. They'll put them in a back room somewhere and hold them for you until you actually leave. It's more convenient then dragging the luggage with you and safer than leaving it in a corner somewhere.

The~Wind
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Woo! I'll be there. Hopefully if I don't get too distracted with the Dealer's Hall, since that will be the only time this Michi can go shopping.

TsukikoAiko
03-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I should be able to make it along with a few other people from the Sunday Guilty Gear gang if I remember to mention it.

StrawberryLum
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I've been able to check bags after checking out of a hotel. They'll put them in a back room somewhere and hold them for you until you actually leave. It's more convenient then dragging the luggage with you and safer than leaving it in a corner somewhere.

That would be convieniant. I'll have to check with my hotel. Thanks!

ultimaaa
03-04-2008, 03:06 AM
I'd be down for that. : D Though don't know how long I'd be sticking around, since Sakura-Con seems to be BusybusyCon for me.

BiZ
03-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I would love to say, "hello." I may be Dejiko again that day, or Ezra, if I'm tired. x]