PDA

View Full Version : staffs

Ina
06-07-2003, 07:13 PM
i have never made a staff before, and i have no idea how too. i just need help on the top part of this staff. it looks so difficult to make... can anybody give me advice/suggestions on what materials i should use and how i should make it (the head part)?

ChibiRinoa
06-07-2003, 07:28 PM
isnt that a concept drawing of Yuna!? cool!!! i cant wait to see that done!you could use foam, or paper mache, but im not entirely sure

Faily
06-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Hmmm... it looks like it's some wooden branches or something, so maybe carving out in wood? ^^

Shin
06-11-2003, 08:52 PM
As a (slightly) experienced staff maker, I highly suggest going to a craft store and buying yourself a broom (Which has the handle able to be detached from the actual broom) or a flag stick (Those sticks you hand falgs on...). I made my mallett for Skuld out of a broom handle, and it worked. The nicest thing about getting a flag post is that it's wooden, so you can laquer it or paint it for the color you want (and the flag connecter can easily be removed with scissors, etc.). When I was making my mallett I bought a dog toy in the shape of the head and put a while into it. For the staff you want I would suggest making a rough cast (out of chicken wire, or a coat hanger) and then paper mache your mold. (There is a thread on paper mache (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13690) if you need any info on how to use that). With my mallett, I used casting material (fiber glass) for everything to work. I would suggest using that, and if you do get your hands on casting material, I'll warn you ahead of time that there will be holes in your mold, but they can easily be painted over.

I can be of more help if I'm given specifics. I hope that what I've told you so far helps you. But after looking at your picture, I do think that making the head out of paper mache, and securing the head to the staff end with something heavy duty (ie: fiber glass) would be your best bet.

-Shin

Ina
06-12-2003, 08:24 PM
THANKS SOOO MUCH SHIIINNN!!!!

that's tons of help ^_^

Shin
06-12-2003, 09:35 PM
No Problem, kidd. I'm happy I could help.

ChicoChan
06-12-2003, 11:07 PM
ooh pretty art *.........* what is that from?
don't hit anyone with that staff....LOL! looks big and hard!

Ina
06-13-2003, 04:09 PM
lol, it's from FFX, it's a concept art of Yuna *.*

yup, it's gonna be hard to make, but it'll be nice and tall, hopefully, it'll stand 6 feet high XDD