PDA

View Full Version : Subaru from .Hack//Sign -- Bra-top help

TaRu
01-31-2008, 11:32 PM
I've made the bra top thus far, but out of really flimsy material (bought some light blue charmeuse given its reputation for ultimate flowiness, using it throughout the whole costume). So, I took the top part of a corset pattern, essentially shortening it quite a bit, and it really is pretty perfect for the top, only problem is, even after double layering the fabric (made a reverse side) its still very thin and somewhat shorter then I wanted it o.o It's about two inches shorter then I need it to be, and it took me a really long time to make that damn thing last night, so I'm just going to fix it to the point of wearable - I don't really care if it looks a bit off of the original drawing, it'll take a long time to make another one of these x.x I'm still confused as to what I should do for layering in the inside.

I don't really want to have to go through and rip out the stitches and restitch in some interfacing (I was thinking felt even if I have to:P) then restitch it all back together. Any advice for fixing this problem would be great, I know using interfacing on the inside would be the best choice, but I'm lazy. Most likely, I'll end up going that route, but any other ideas would be awesome.

If all else fails, I'll just get some stiffer fabric in the same color as the charmeuse and use that to make the top:P
(reference pictures on request)

godsavethequeen
02-01-2008, 01:36 AM
This (http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/juegos/PlayStation2-Rol/30/IMG-130624/subaru0_pe.jpg) is what you're referring to?

If you decide to redo the top, consider flat lining the charmeuse with a similarly colored, good quality cotton. Treat the charmeuse as if it was an overlay. Just double layering the charmeuse without any sort of stiffer fabric underneath will yield a flimsy top no matter how you sew it together. From what you've described, it is very likely that you won't be able to fix the top without dis-assembling it. I'd also recommend some strategically placed boning to give the top some structure.

The Hag
02-01-2008, 08:49 AM
it took me a really long time to make that damn thing last night

One night is a long time? LOL! I WISH my mistakes only cost me one night's work! ^_^

I agree with GSTQ. It would be best to remake it with lining and boning. I would not use interfacing because you want the cups to cling smoothly to, uh, your rounder parts. ^_^;

If you really don't want to remake it, all I can suggest is to try to find some kind of undergarment that you can modify to wear under it.

LadyHawke78
02-01-2008, 09:16 AM
I made this same costume about 5 years ago, and I WISH I'd put some boning the top...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/beaviskitty/cosplay/496165-20070224224506.jpg

All mine is is a double layer of fabric (interfacing is only in the sleeves) and some strategically placed darts. I never actually sewed the bra-cups in like I'd planned to. I've just been wearing a backless/strapless bra with mine.

(However, I saw this GORGEOUS silk blend fabric at the store yesterday, and it is making me want to re-make this costume in a big way...)

TaRu
02-01-2008, 09:14 PM
This (http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/juegos/PlayStation2-Rol/30/IMG-130624/subaru0_pe.jpg) is what you're referring to?

If you decide to redo the top, consider flat lining the charmeuse with a similarly colored, good quality cotton. Treat the charmeuse as if it was an overlay. Just double layering the charmeuse without any sort of stiffer fabric underneath will yield a flimsy top no matter how you sew it together. From what you've described, it is very likely that you won't be able to fix the top without dis-assembling it. I'd also recommend some strategically placed boning to give the top some structure.

Thanks for all the help everyone, don't think the idea of putting bra cups into it hasn't crossed my mind, I'm just not sure how to put in the bra cups is all o.o I don't know if one layer of the bra needs to be longer then the other in order to get a smooth natural fit, or what o.o To cheat, we're going to try something with some batting, and interfacing, just to do a test to see if it works. I wish I knew how to put boob cups in anyways, it'd be so helpful x.x

I'm going to try it all out tommorow, luckily though I do have boning and etc to go with it -- if the idea fails before tommorow afternoon, I'll go out and get some cotton in the same color like GSTQ suggested. Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll check back to see if it worked later <3