PDA

View Full Version : ouran tie

divine_fanaticy
02-02-2008, 02:18 PM
i know that there is an "official" tie sold online and at some conventions. i made ties using blue cotton fabric and purple ribbon, but i glued the ribbon on with fabric glue and it came off over the course of the day of the convention it was worn to, and the glue was messy. after that, i started thinking about instead getting a plain white tie and dyeing it the proper colors with ink, but i wasn't sure that tape would form a good, solid line down the middle. i think there is a possibility that the ink will bleed under the tape. therefore, i'm considering simply buying the official tie.

so, my question is to those of you who make your ties: how did you do it, and how did it turn out?

what do you think of the official tie?

CezzaXV
02-02-2008, 02:21 PM
When I made the tie for my sister, I made a black tie (I couldnt find one in the local charity shops at the time, although it would have done) and used double sided tape and purple ribbon for the stripe. It worked a treat. The stripe won't come off unless you really pull it deliberately. It's great. I've made another that I wear with my everyday clothes :)

divine_fanaticy
02-02-2008, 02:26 PM
@ CezzaXV: what brand of tape is it? and what type of fabric did you use (silk or cotton)?

sleepy_hikari
02-02-2008, 03:00 PM
i made one when i was in vietnam for a cousin. we got a silk tie, and i found a purple ribbon...and i just sew it on, though it takes a long time, since i was trying to make the thread not noticeable...

Koisnake
02-02-2008, 04:22 PM
You can get a black tie at almost any clothing store, then purple ribbon from craft stores. I just glued the purple ribbon on and voila.

Cat-Chans
02-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I think the official tie is terrible actualy. Its a clip on, the purple is just screenprinted on there and it looks kind of cheap.

Dye WILL bleed through, it is not like paint, you cannot restrict it with tape. There are dye restricters out there, but I've never used them. If you really want to dye a tie then you'll want to dye it purple first, restrict the area where the stripe is, and then dye it black. Now I have NO IDEA how well this would work, but this would be method to use if it did.

There are a lot of ways to pull off a good Ouran tie
One way would be to get a black tie from and store and use fusable seam to iron a piece of ribbon to it. What kind of glue did you use before, because Fabric glue should have worked well for what you were doing...

The way I made my tie was to get ribbon and cut out 2 "tie" pieces in black fabric. Then I cut one in half right up the middle. I then sewed the ribbon into the tie. Then I sewed the two pieces together, left a spot to turn them right side out, and stitched the hole up. Sure its not a "real" tie, but the seam where you turn it either gets tied up in the knot or hidden under the collar so it is hardly noticeable.

If you are ambitious I believe that there are tie patterns out there.

divine_fanaticy
02-02-2008, 07:54 PM
@ Cat-Chan~: thanks for your advice about the dye! i sewed the ties that i used by tracing a tie and sewing them together, then turning it rightside-out halfway up the length of the tie (looks cheap and like a pillowcase, but it works). this part then sits in the back of the tie and is covered by the collar. i used fabri-tac glue. it's essentially the same stuff as what you get when you melt styrofoam cups with nailpolish remover (a fun, but messy endothermic reaction). it works very well, normally, but it's not very flexible, and i suppose that's why it came off.

SpiffyNerd
02-02-2008, 09:58 PM
When I made my tie, I took a black tie from Wal-mart and used stitch witchery to attach the purple ribbon, then I sewed around the edges with a machine. I mainly used the stitch witchery to make sure it was straight before I sewed it.

It might look less pillow-case-y if you ironed it.

divine_fanaticy
02-02-2008, 10:18 PM
i did. i just meant that that's how a pillow or a pillowcase is made. what is this stitch witchery of which you speak? =/

kalajessta
02-02-2008, 10:24 PM
My best suggestion for the tie:

Buy a used or new black tie (at a thrift store or somewhere that's decently priced for a solid, black tie). Then pick up purple bias tape. The next step can be done in several ways. One is to sew on the bias tape (if your skilled enough) or use stitch witchery or there's a few other methods.

I hope this helps ^^;; Good luck to those that are making them.