PDA

View Full Version : Portal cosplayers?

TR Rose
02-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Just wondering if there are any cosplayers out there from Portal.

I'm going to start working on a Chell costume soon, maybe in time for All-Con in March. Has anyone made a life-sized Companion Cube yet? I'm probably going to make mine out of cardboard boxes for the base, still not certain about the corners and other pieces that stick out a little.

Squiggle
02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I've bought the fabric for my Chell already but I 'm scared to touch it since it's a fitted jumpsuit and I just know I'm going to screw it up. I've started the portal gun but again haven't gotten far because I'm so scared I'm going to screw it up. (This pattern of behavior will continue until a week before con :toothy: ) I'm trying to convince my fiance to be either giant WCC or a big piece of cake. He likes Portal but not digging those costume ideas.:crylaugh:

TR Rose
02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I will probably be getting my fabric tonight. I couldn't find an actual jumpsuit pattern so I'm going to combine a shirt and pants pattern together.
Also trying to work out a prop WCC - I almost have all the angles right.

KittyCanuck
02-04-2008, 08:07 PM
There's a few people starting Portal costumes in the Photo section, including an awesome large stuffed Companion Cube!

I'd love to make a cute little stuffed Companion Cube at some point!

For making your WCC, I'd look for those papercraft WCC patterns, and use that to extrapolate a larger one from.

Xavietta
02-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm 2/3 done with my Chell cosplay, Here's a pic of my heel springs

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1358003/

I have the jumpsuit done, pictures coming soon xD I've never made a jumpsuit before, but it turned out pretty good ^^

I started on my Portal gun, but I just moved to Florida and I left all the materials for it back in Michigan :sulk: I'll have someone send it to me though lol

I originally planned to have everything done for Ohayocon, and my friend was going to dress up as a companion cube, but I got caught up with my other cosplays and didn't have time to finish Chell :(

I can't wait to see everyones stuff :)

greydragon
02-05-2008, 11:36 PM
TR Rose! Kwik-Sew makes jumpsuit / unitard patterns! You can buy them online, or go to a Hancock Fabrics store. To make things easier for you, and other Portal cosplayers, here's a list of possible patterns to chose from. Not all the patterns below will be correct for this (sorry, but I have a test to study for, but I had to procrastinate a little).

Kwik-sew:
2335 - a men's wetsuit, but it has similar lines to a jumpsuit; maybe good for
male cosplayers
3052 - I'm using View A, someday, for a Vash cosplay

I hope this helps some people! :)
Greydragon

TR Rose
02-06-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm 2/3 done with my Chell cosplay, Here's a pic of my heel springs

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1358003/

I have the jumpsuit done, pictures coming soon xD I've never made a jumpsuit before, but it turned out pretty good ^^

I started on my Portal gun, but I just moved to Florida and I left all the materials for it back in Michigan :sulk: I'll have someone send it to me though lol

I originally planned to have everything done for Ohayocon, and my friend was going to dress up as a companion cube, but I got caught up with my other cosplays and didn't have time to finish Chell :(

I can't wait to see everyones stuff :)

What materials did you use for your heelsprings? They look great.

I got my fabric last night, just need to preshrink it and start working.
I think I'm going to make my Companion Cube out of cardboard and styrofoam - since there are so many beveled edges, I need something that I can sand down so it looks right. I just need to figure out the scale I'm going to make it - there is more Portal fanart than screenshots, and the Cube is a different size in all of them.

akuriko
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I was planning on doing a Chell cosplay this fall. ^ ^ But I'm thinking I'm going to have to go for an interpretive version of GLaDOS first, because it sounds like so much fun!! XD

TR Rose> I have this 3-D render here. Maybe it can help you with the size of your companion cube. ^ ^ http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/akuriko/chellrender.jpg

Xavietta
02-06-2008, 10:06 PM
TR Rose: Thank you ^^ Mostly craft foam. The back part is this paper mache powdery stuff you mix with water.

Akuriko: I like that idea ^^ I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

SvK
02-06-2008, 10:30 PM
The cube is 40 inches on a side, which is huge. I'm building one that's slightly smaller.

Scoti
02-08-2008, 02:47 AM
My god if I could find some way of designing a GLaDOS costume....Hey maybe I will!

Grimmory
02-08-2008, 05:23 PM
i have no clue where to begin for my Chell costume... I can't find proper fabric anywhere!

Xavietta
02-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Sister Grimm: I tried dyeing my own fabric...didn't work lol so I looked on eBay:

This first one is what I got, it's pretty thick, but the colour is good ad it's easy to work with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/58-w-TANGERINE-Burnt-Orange-DENIM-TWILL-Fabric-5-99y_W0QQitemZ230212714544QQihZ013QQcategoryZ83923Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQ cmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Twill-Fabric-Finders-Orange_W0QQitemZ270175610798QQihZ017QQcategoryZ712 07QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l124 7QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Twill-Orange-Fire-Retardant-64inches-Cotton-10-yards_W0QQitemZ270089060365QQihZ017QQcategoryZ7120 8QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247 QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that helps ^^

Mewohkie
02-09-2008, 01:07 AM
I seen a few Cube cosplays. I was hoping to see cake too, but I hear it's a lie.

Kyora
02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
as a fan of GLaDOS, a while back, I had kind of thrown around the idea of cosplaying her, but with her being just... A crapload of wires and orbs, I decided it'd be quite difficult and unwillingly left the idea behind.

Just yesterday though, one of my friends showed me this picture of a GLaDOS humanoid design.
http://i26.tinypic.com/v7hbnq.jpg

Anyways, first impression: "OMFGSHE'SSOCUTE, I SHOULD DO IT."

I don't think I'd bother with the contacts, and I'm sure I could use my Suigintou wig to work for the hair, and it doesn't seem too difficult of a cosplay.

The thing I'm worried about is... Will people recognize me possibly as a GLaDOS design?

PS. I also plan on making a cake bag/something, in which I'll stuff a diary entry titled "how to kill a man with your bare hands," my cell phone, wallet, and anything else I'll need. It's a bit more of an advanced cake. I'd add fish-shaped dirt, fish-shaped ethyl benzene, needle injectors, and more if I could.

Scoti
02-09-2008, 10:57 PM
as a fan of GLaDOS, a while back, I had kind of thrown around the idea of cosplaying her, but with her being just... A crapload of wires and orbs, I decided it'd be quite difficult and unwillingly left the idea behind.

Just yesterday though, one of my friends showed me this picture of a GLaDOS humanoid design.

I don't think I'd bother with the contacts, and I'm sure I could use my Suigintou wig to work for the hair, and it doesn't seem too difficult of a cosplay.

The thing I'm worried about is... Will people recognize me possibly as a GLaDOS design?

PS. I also plan on making a cake bag/something, in which I'll stuff a diary entry titled "how to kill a man with your bare hands," my cell phone, wallet, and anything else I'll need. It's a bit more of an advanced cake. I'd add fish-shaped dirt, fish-shaped ethyl benzene, needle injectors, and more if I could.

It is cute as a design and the cake would help identifying you. IMO though
it doesn't really capture what I envisioned GLaDOS would look like but it's not my costume :)

Kyora
02-09-2008, 11:01 PM
It is cute as a design and the cake would help identifying you. IMO though
it doesn't really capture what I envisioned GLaDOS would look like but it's not my costume :)

Same here -- I've been thinking of altering the colors a bit though. It seems too... White? I've been contemplating either changing the white to maybe a slate grey, or switching the black and white, so that it'd be more black with white trims. I've also been doodling my own GLaDOS designs but I haven't found one I'm confident with yet.

akuriko
02-10-2008, 12:04 AM

OMFG That is adorable!! XDDD And all the little accessories make me giggle. I was going to say "Hey what about fish-shaped solid waste?" But then I was like "Oh, right, that's kinda nasty." AND REMEMBER WHEN THE PLATFORM WAS SLIDING INTO INTO THE FIRE PIT AND I WAS ALL GOOD BYE! AND YOU WERE LIKE NO WAY! AND THEN I WAS ALL WE PRETENDED LIKE WE WERE GOING TO MURDER YOU? THAT WAS GREAT.

Lol, I had to. XDD
Anyway, I agree that's a great design, and as long as you have the Aperture logo on the sleeve people will recognize you. And the spheres on the pigtails would be a dead give away. The only qualm I have is that GLaDOS has never struck me as a childish figure. Maybe more of a young adult? Also, I think you should keep the white, because it's a sanitary color. Plus it keeps the creepy vibe. ^ ^ ♥ Love GLaDOS.

matwix_2004
02-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey.
I was thinking of doing a male apature science test subject cosplay (as I couldn;t cosplay Chell, I'm not into crossplaying). I was just wondering how you would make the gun.

I started on the handle, that was originally intended to be a mock-up, made from cardboard.

What is the material that the spring/shoe things that you made were from? The top bit that connects to your leg that is. XD

amethystducky
02-12-2008, 05:56 AM
My brother's doing a Pyro (Team Fortress 2)cosplay and brought up the idea of cosplaying other Orange Box characters. He asked how I'd do GlaDos or what I think a humanoid GlaD would look like.
I said a female Scientist cyborg thing ^^.

White lab coat, smart trousers/skirt. Then wires, buttons and scanners ( like mini versions of her cameras) here and there . As for her spheres; maybe on a necklace or other jewelery.

I saw a picture of a Companion Cube cosplay on 4chan last night with the caption " you have to think outside the box" next to it.

TR Rose
02-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a question for the thread:
How would you go about making the heel springs stay connected to your legs? I have some ideas about making the springs, but putting them on seems difficult. Any input?

Xavietta
02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
TR Rose: For mine I used 2 way fashion tape:

http://www.hollywoodfashiontape.com/products_tape.cfm

It might depend on what your springs are made from, but mine are pretty light so the tape worked really well ^^ Hope that helps ^^

Calviin
02-24-2008, 10:22 PM
I dunno if anyone is interested, but I've been making stuffed companion cubes for a few weeks now. I've made them in sizes ranging from 6" to life-size.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/LJaoi/katsu_20080215_140712_9951.jpg

new_ike
02-25-2008, 09:56 AM

Oh lord, GLaDOS-tan, too cute.
...Maybe if the orange control sphere (you know, "Who are you? Where am I? What's that? What's that?") suddenly became the dominant personality, it could work.
I definitely think that having the Aperture Science brand somewhere on the costume would help identify you, as well as having either a cube or a cake or a turret.

7hir7een
03-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I dunno if anyone is interested, but I've been making stuffed companion cubes for a few weeks now. I've made them in sizes ranging from 6" to life-size.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/LJaoi/katsu_20080215_140712_9951.jpg

That looks wonderful! I've been wanting a companion cube for a long time, but unfortunately I fail at making that kind of thing

Tyigra
03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm planning on cosplaying as Chell for A-Kon in Dallas. I've got a 70's jumpsuit sewing pattern, but I'm starting on the gun since it will probably be the hardest part. I'll follow up with pictures once I have something to show, but I'm planning on it doing everything but actually make portals. :)

TR Rose
03-03-2008, 07:22 AM
My costume is almost done. The jumpsuit is basically finished, just needs the belt, the front leg pockets, the chest pocket, and the "Aperture" label on the front. The Companion Cube is on its way too - got the basic box shape made, and all the dimensions and proportions figured out. Now I need to start making the raised boxy sections before coating the whole thing with fiberglass & painting.

Hopefully I'll have this done in time for All-Con (next weekend) or at the very least, A-Kon.

TR Rose
03-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Chell is finished! Not many photos yet since I just debuted her today, but I had to post this one.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1434311/

Xavietta
03-09-2008, 04:53 PM
TR Rose: xD that's great! and you're eating cake :) that's cute. I can't wait to see more pictures :) did you have a companion cube with you? I was at Megacon this weekend and I saw 2 or 3 cubes walking around and I thought "ugh! I wish I had my Chell finished!" xD

TR Rose
03-11-2008, 01:27 PM
My Companion Cube didn't get finished in time. It's currently a large cardboard cube (20" per side) covered in fiberglass resin. I made up blueprints for the corners and middle sections, but there wasn't time.
The Portal Gun was Plan B. When that almost didn't get finished either, the Cake became Plan C. :)

I entered the costume contest and sang the first verse of "Still Alive" - wondering if anyone recorded it?

KittyCanuck
03-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Very nice! I can't wait to see more pictures!!

Xavietta
03-13-2008, 04:58 AM
TR Rose: If someone recorded it I want to see it, sounds cool xD I hope you finish your cube and gun too! You're cosplay is awesome and I want to see it with the gun and everything ^^

I'm planning to finish Chell for DragonCon so I'll have pictures up soon :)

TR Rose
03-13-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1437657/
I did find another pic online with the gun and cake.
I'm thinking about putting wheels on my Cube so I don't have to carry it in my arms for A-Kon. Maybe making a tether to pull it around by. :)

Aer Arcanum
03-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm pretty determined now to do a humanoid GLaDOS cosplay. It probably won't happen until next year, but still... My little sister will gladly cosplay a turret with me, too! I've just designed the costume for her. I'd post a picture, but I really hate my scanner and don't feel like dragging it out right now. GLaDOS will be harder to design, I think, just because I'm having trouble coming up with something that suits her unique personality, haha.

cindrally
03-17-2008, 12:57 AM
what material did you use for the portal gun? it looks great!

Calliel
03-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I've finally decided that if I don't do a Portal cosplay for this year I will be SO SO jealous of all the other cosplayers I see I'll be miserable. ;) So I'm getting started. A few notes on what I'm doing:

-I'm using a button-down shirt pattern and a Bermuda shorts pattern and just putting them together at the waist, obviously replacing the buttons on the shirt and the fly on the shorts with that incredibly long zipper.

-I think I'm going to use ripstop nylon for the fabric. It's nice and lightweight, and has a very "action movie" look to it :P

-My ASHPD is going to be made from various PVC plumbing parts and, I think, a tennis ball tube (for the clear tube). I'm going to talk to one of my electronically-inclined friends about putting some LEDs in it so I can have it really glow. :) I have also recently come into possession of one of those teddy bear voice-boxes you can record onto and then push to play it, so I'm going to record the elevator-music version of "Still Alive" onto it and hide it somewhere in the gun. :P

Xavietta
03-17-2008, 05:43 PM
TR Rose: xD a cube on wheels, awesome ^^

Aer Arcanum: I am very interested to see what you come up with ^^ especially since you'll have a little turret running around with you xD The only thing I can think of when people say "humanoid GLaDOS" is the Mother Computer, Dorothy, from Galerians:

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/rion02.jpg
http://ps2.ign.com/dor/galerians-ash/17337/images/gash_1111_3.html?page=mediaFull

Random connection I know lol but she's a psycho humanoid/computer... thing...so it seems to fit.

Calliel: lol you're Portal gun sounds like mine xD I have LEDs I need to wire and all that and I' also using PVC pipes :) I can't wait to see your progress :) oh, and good idea about the pattern...why didn't I think of that... lol I used a horribly cheezy costume jumpsuit...thing...and had to do major alterations to it xD

Daijitsu
03-22-2008, 04:13 AM
My girlfriend and I are working on her chell cosplay right now, as well as the entirety of the team fortress characters. Hopefully, we'll be ready with it all by mid-may, for Anime Central. I have my prop work cut out for me :D

here's the directory of stuff I'm working on, including chell- http://daijitsu.livejournal.com/836.html

Puchiko nyu
03-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Semi-necro...I guess. >>;; Gomen nasai.

I'm planning on a Humanized GLaDOS Cosplay for AWA this year. =D And I'm gonna try to act in-character. XD I don't know if I can remain in-character for very long, though.

Nobody's gonna know who I am, though. ._. I might make a WCC plushie to carry around or something, I don't know yet...

If I sound like an Idiot in this post, I'm sorry. ^^;; It's 1:00 in the Morning, and I'm kind of tired.

Zashi
04-13-2008, 11:37 PM
I found a nice GLaDOS-tan photo for you all. As soon as I found it, I thought, "OMG this needs to go in the Portal thread!" so without further delay: GLaDOS-Tan (http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=0)

Avianna
05-23-2008, 01:35 AM
I finally got to play this game a few days before Anime Central and I loved it. I even more got into it at ACen cause of all the fans and jokes about it.

Thus, I have an idea for a Portal Cosplay in the future, which I will keep you informed about if it all works out the way I would like it too. Plus I have some questions to ask about it anyway. :p

SvK
05-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Daijitsu: Come and chat about Team Fortress 2 costumes in the thread about Team Fortress 2 costumes!
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=128928

CthulhuChild
05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn142/inkspite/19.png

It would appear the cube survived.

GelaTehMonkey
05-30-2008, 01:28 AM
I noticed this thread and saw a couple people talking about Glados costume would someone take a look at mine and tell me what you think? And I'm open to suggestions to make it better.

http://pyrofullmetalgela.deviantart.com/art/GLaDOS-Cosplay-Idea-87135842

GelaTehMonkey
05-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Ok I noticed this thread and saw some people were talking about Glados costumes. I designed one, could you guys and/or ladies tell me what you think? I ant to make a glados costume for a con. I'm open to suggestions to making it better.

http://pyrofullmetalgela.deviantart.com/art/GLaDOS-Cosplay-Idea-87135842

Xavietta
05-30-2008, 12:28 PM
CthulhuChild: I knew it! xD

Gelatehmonkey: I think it's cute :) I think everyone has a different interpretation of what Human GlaDOS would look like. I like the different colour eyes, are you going to have different contacts for that?

GelaTehMonkey
05-30-2008, 10:55 PM
CthulhuChild: I knew it! xD

Gelatehmonkey: I think it's cute :) I think everyone has a different interpretation of what Human GlaDOS would look like. I like the different colour eyes, are you going to have different contacts for that?
I'm going to try to have contacts for that, I'm hoping I can get some but I have a year lol thank you for saying it's cute though

Taco Attack
07-01-2008, 03:14 AM
http://www.game-ism.com/2008/04/04/still-alive-shes-free/
Much to my surprise, GlaDOS is actually shaped very much like a woman. Check out the article; it's pretty interesting.

Also I'm working on my first costume in three years, and I've decided to be Chell.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1589620/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1589613/
The gun is all I've worked on so far. I'm a bit nervous about the heel springs, and I don't know where to acquire an orange jumpsuit to alter.

Lorien
08-15-2008, 11:33 PM
- Casts thread resurrect -
There's a sad lackage of Portal cosplay o____o'' At least ones where people have posted pics.

I'm planning a GlaDOS (human) cosplay, to be completed by March of this year...
I'm not sure how good it is though D:

- Link to my DA pic, 1st draft (http://lorienfairy.deviantart.com/art/GlaDOS-Humanoid-cosplay-95003625)-
Critique/opinions/ideas are appreciated - bow -

zanderwitaz
08-18-2008, 03:40 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/zanderwitaz/n6025841_38477547_83.jpg

almost done :P made it for a friends birthday. As of now I just still need to do the corners and paint.

SvK
08-19-2008, 03:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/zanderwitaz/n6025841_38477547_83.jpg

almost done :P made it for a friends birthday. As of now I just still need to do the corners and paint.

SPOILER! The most impressive part of the picture is the radio.SPOILER!

club
08-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm totally obsessed with Portal, and I think a test subject would make such a perfect cosplay. I'm an accuracy fanatic and I know I could make a sweet gun, heel springs and jump suit.

But like the other guy in this thread said, I'm male, and I just don't think it would fly. I'm also not into crossing like the other guy. People wont be looking at me and saying, "Hey, nice previous-Aperture-test-subject!" They'll be saying, "um, is that guy supposed to be Chell? That's a poor crossplay."

Ironically, in the original teaser trailer that preceded the game, it looks like the protaginist was male. I dunno, it's hard to see it really. Judge for yourself (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/ddrguy/forums/portalguy.jpg).

He/she also didn't have heel springs and another part of the trailer mentioned dying from falling from heights. Obviously things were refined before the game was finalized.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Chell. I just wish I felt more comfortable cosplaying from my favorite game.

Can not sew
08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
companion cube? there was some guy dressed as a companion cube at the Anime North masqurade, but I didn't get his picture... I didn't play portal at the time

Lorien
08-28-2008, 03:52 PM
My friend made a suggestion for my glaDOS thing... the one I posted above is really quite sucky and too bulky >___> So I'm redesigning mine and it's gonna be closer to KosMOS's character design now? That way I've got some better 'reference' pics and I can modify mine easier instead of starting from scratch.

Lots of things will be different but I'm mostly basing it off Version 4:
Fullbody View (http://media.photobucket.com/image/kosmos%20version%204/ChristopherTeese/Image20070618102457881.jpg)
Though I may also use parts from Version one, especially this costume:
CG'd (http://media.photobucket.com/image/kosmos/MoonLitNightSky/KOS-MOS/KOS-MOS29.jpg)

paper cosplay
08-30-2008, 09:37 AM
I think it would be ok to do a male Chell or just anther test subjuect. I mean women play male characters all the time. the other option is to say your the one that left the notes on the ecape rout. maybe cover your hand in fake blood.

I've also thought about doing an Aperture Science party plan. lab coat with aperture science on it. a gun of some kind and maybe a cake. or make an android you can carry around.

DM7DragonFyre
09-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Actually this may be kinna cheap but my boyfriend is going as a Aperture science test subject for a costume party I'm having... we went out and found a orange "prison" jumpsuit at a local costume store, and the plan is to tailor it down to his size and add the extra details.

As for the companion cube, there's a papercraft of the cube somewhere... perhaps you could customize that for a bigger space?

Cryomancer
09-05-2008, 05:02 PM
My daughter, with out hesitation, when asked what she wanted to be at Dragon Con this year, said "Portal Girl!". I have a couple of pics taken of her in my profile (not nearly enough: camera was not behaving very well).

Her costume consisted of only orange pants and an orange shirt I bought at a thrift store. I cobbled a very poor ASHPD together for her, and ironed an ApSci logo onto her back.

Super simple. Perfect for a 10 year old... :)

Xavietta
09-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Cryomancer: OMG that is super cute! I love it :) Are you going to make heel springs for her too??

Cryomancer
09-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I had considered making her some heel springs to finish out the costume for other cons and such later. That being said, 10 year old girl attention spans being what they are, she's probably going to want to be something else for the next one.

:)

Rooke
10-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Late but check my gallery lol. C:

Azzurra
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
We decided I should be an AS test subject for Halloween because my boyfriend (Volpin) really wanted to make the gun.

I am attempting to make the suit from whole cloth, because none of the manufactured suits I've found were close enough to canon for me when I know I can make one closer. I've just cut out the pattern pieces today. I drafted the legs portion from some slacks that fit me well, and I'm adapting the top part from a zippered lab coat I don't wear anymore.

Getting down to the details of it, though, I've been just staring at the source images trying to determine just how to put the pieces of it together. e.g. Is the white line just under the breast a fold of white fabric sewn between the midriff and chest pieces, or is it top-stitched over the seam between midriff and chest piece? It looks to me like it has a shadow, but then again, it could just be grime. Same thing for the pockets. I guess most people edge the pockets with white, but sometimes it looks like the pocket faces are sewn on top of folds of white. I haven't yet decided which I'll be doing, but I will be making a ton of white bias tape, that's for sure. It seems nitpicky, typed out like that, but these kinds of details are important to me in construction, because all of them added together usually make the costume that much more impressive, like some sort of cosplay gestalt effect.

Anyone else putting together a suit from scratch?

From the way the construction of my gun is going, I can say without bias that it will be ridiculously awesome. I'll get Volpin to post some progress pics, and hopefully I'll be getting some pics up soon myself. I'd like to be cutting into fabric tonight and sewing some pieces together this weekend.

Volpin
10-17-2008, 01:32 PM
I'll get Volpin to post some progress pics...

Thats my cue, I guess.

It doesn't look like much, but this thing has been a BOATLOAD of work so far. Most of it has gone into planning wiring and a lot of soldering. I'm actually quite proud of the LED array I've built to illuminate the parts of the gun.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1775633/

I have been taking some liberties, namely with the inside of the barrel. Since you never actually get to look into the barrel as the gun is firing, its been difficult to track down what do do with that aesthetic. I've come up with an interesting solution scavenging some parts from my office wastebin, but no shots of that yet.

Here are a few progress shots of the gun body as it sits now. If you're interested, there are a few more in my gallery.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1775625/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1775634/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1775635/

I'll be posting more progress as it comes along. Stay tuned!

TR Rose
10-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Anyone else putting together a suit from scratch?

I did my jumpsuit from scratch. I made a dress shirt and a pair of capri pants, sewed them together at the waist and added a zipper for closure. I used a lot of white bias tape for the edging details and pretty much only used digital photos of the game as references (which aren't easy to get). A lot of fanart gets certain details wrong. I had some trouble getting a white fabric - for the Aperture logo on the back and the nameplate - that would match the bias tape and not be transparent. Several layers of a thick white twill, I think. It was a leftover from another project.

Volpin
10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Bumping this for a few updates in case anyone is interested in my ASHPD.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1784575/

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1784576/

More in my gallery if you're curious. Deadline is Oct. 30th... CRUNCH TIME!

Lorien
11-01-2008, 11:54 PM
>w< The portal gun looks incredible, Volpin, it looks so realistic @o@

I've got a group of four set up to do a Portal group for March this year, I'll be human GlaDOS, and 3 of my friends will be Chell, the Companion Cube (we're planning a giant cardboard and styrofoam box on legs), and a human turret =3= we're hoping to make it awesome, so wish us luck please. :3

I'm really excited to see all these Portal cosplays. Has everyone seen 'The Device Has Been Modified'?

rachciav
11-02-2008, 08:11 PM
hey i decided to cosplay as chell, and i found a pepakura model for the portal gun which i will use as a base. and i bought a pattern for the jumpsuit but i cant decide what fabric to use. what have other people used for theirs, i was thinking canvas or cotton.

Azzurra
11-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Rachciav - where did you get the pattern? I had to draft my own from some clothes I had, and it isn't quite turning out as well as I'd like.
If I were to do it again, I'd use a sturdy knit, not a canvas weave. If you do use canvas, make it a size or two larger than you think you need, 'cause it won't have a lot of give. You don't want to use a stretch knit or anything, but something that will not chafe when you try to sit down.

Lorienfairy - Hopefully we'll have images of the completed gun up soon, but Volpin's ASHPD is so amazing, it feels surreal to look at it. I told him he could just sink a diamond into the top and present that to me instead of a ring, it's that beautiful. He called it the Aperture Science Handheld Proposal Device. Hehehe.

Volpin
11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
hey i decided to cosplay as chell, and i found a pepakura model for the portal gun which i will use as a base.

thats what I built my wireframe out of, if you have the same model that I do. The odd thing about that model is that its kind of "oval" shaped. It almost looks like someone took the texture out of a 16:9 ratio and sized it to a 4:3. I know thats not the case, but just trying to relate what I've seen.

I used the profile as a base for my gun, and resized the rest of the dimensions to accurately fit those measurements. Good luck with your gun... mine has been an exercise in frustration, but well worth it.

rachciav
11-03-2008, 05:34 PM
volpin: i used a model i got from another forum i usually go on. i think its a direct rip from the game because it dosent look all that smooth. but i cant tell for sure yet because i havent built it yet.

Azzurra: i looked for a while on google until i found a pattern that looked the most like the jump suit. i swear they mustve modeled the game off this, because its like spot on. almost everything is the same. i bought it and it should be coming some time this week ill post pics so maybe you can scale and print them. unless id get in trouble for that.....but i havent decided what fabric to use yet. i like the weight of canvas but not the texture...there needs to be a cotton canvas hybid. and did you pre-shrink your material?

SvK
11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
How about posting the link to where you found the jumpsuit?

rachciav
11-03-2008, 07:33 PM
oh it was off ebay. i tried looking for it on another site to see if it as cheaper, but that was the only one....sorry....but ill post pics when i finally receive it. which should be some time this week. and is it like illegal to post pics of the pattern for you guys to use?

Azzurra
11-03-2008, 09:27 PM
rachciav - I imagine posting pics would probably be copyright infringement, but I have never minded a pirate. I'll PM you. At the very least, when it comes in, you can post the brand and the pattern ID#.

I did not preshrink my fabric, but I've worked with it before and already knew it doesn't do any shrinking in the wash. You could double-up on the cotton fabric, maybe even make a lining from it too, and that would make the final product heavier (and probably feel better too). I kind of wish I'd made a lining, myself.

rachciav
11-03-2008, 09:37 PM
azzurra: ill be sure to send you any info on it when it comes, but i dont think youll find anyone else selling it, since it was vintage 1970s. i hope it isnt disintegrated when i get it.

what fabric exactly are you using? i was thinking about doubling up on cotton, but i wasnt sure if thatd be really hard to work with. i guess its better than using a thick material though.

Lorien
11-04-2008, 11:39 PM
@ Azzurra That'd be the perfect engagement theme, if you ask me. Promise them cake and grief counselling - deserves to be shot for that -

I've got some leftover orange weave fabric I'm gonna use for Chell.. I hope its enough, I have to measure it and see >: - crosses fingers -
I'm also probably gonna have to make most of the portal gun and GlaDOS's styrofoam things, including the cores... And my companion cube friend is gonna be, well, wonderous xD;;; Heres hoping, anyways.

If anyone would like to critique my idea for GlaDOS, I'll post the link to my DA picture:

Ignore the fail ^^;;; (http://lorienfairy.deviantart.com/art/GlaDOS-version-2-0-102577947)

Any critiques, comments, or suggestions are very much appreciated :3

rachciav
11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
ok so i got the pattern today. and i was all confused until i found out that the pattern only works for 3 sizes. which are all too big for me. so i googled the pattern number but no results for a pattern in my size came up.....any suggestions...

an deiner Seite
11-06-2008, 05:56 PM
I might make a Companion Cube costume for my friend =P

or make it for myself =D

Volpin
11-13-2008, 11:39 PM
UPDATES!

I totally missed the Halloween deadline. Then again, so did Azzurra with making her jumpsuit on time. Because of that, we've decided to take our time with the rest of this cosplay to make sure its 100% perfect. Of course, that means I'll need to be making heelsprings soon...

The gun is about 90% finished. I still have some weathering to do, tighten a few screws, and work out the Aperture logo decals as well as the barcode on the top. All the lights work well, after wrestling with a dead LED bank for a little while had me pulling my hair out.

Onto the pics:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1810905/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1810907/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1810853/

Azzurra
11-13-2008, 11:48 PM
ok so i got the pattern today. and i was all confused until i found out that the pattern only works for 3 sizes. which are all too big for me. so i googled the pattern number but no results for a pattern in my size came up.....any suggestions...

Um... google "pattern drafting"? You could try extrapolating the lines. How much bigger would the size be from you anyway? I think one size up may not be bad at all, and may actually be good if you go with the canvas weave.

Squiggle
11-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Onto the pics:

HOLY CRAP. I was really proud of my gun, but yours makes me :bigcry:. It looks incredible. Mine broke and needs to be re-made (better and more sturdy). Sorry if I missed this if you've mentioned it: but what kind of paint did you use? It turned out really shiny.

rachciav
11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Um... google "pattern drafting"? You could try extrapolating the lines. How much bigger would the size be from you anyway? I think one size up may not be bad at all, and may actually be good if you go with the canvas weave.

its about 4 sizes too big :/ i was considering something like that. i was going to go with two layers of cotton....but i may have to go with canvas. this sucks.....

Can not sew
11-17-2008, 06:40 PM
UPDATES!

I totally missed the Halloween deadline. Then again, so did Azzurra with making her jumpsuit on time. Because of that, we've decided to take our time with the rest of this cosplay to make sure its 100% perfect. Of course, that means I'll need to be making heelsprings soon...

The gun is about 90% finished. I still have some weathering to do, tighten a few screws, and work out the Aperture logo decals as well as the barcode on the top. All the lights work well, after wrestling with a dead LED bank for a little while had me pulling my hair out.

Onto the pics:

I cry when I see stuff like that. :waaaah: I feel so inferior.

So I'm going to a con as Chell in December, and I have my fabric and whatnot, and for the gun, I was thinking one of those arm things... y'know, the big bar with a handle, and when you squeeze the handle the little claw closes? Yeah, thinking of taking one of those and building onto it with foam... or something. Any ideas on that?

Can not sew
11-17-2008, 06:43 PM
AND (Stupid me to double post :D) My friend who is coming with me is going to be a turret (wanted GLaDOS, kindly explained to her that I"m dead broke and can't handle that kind of costume load) and another friend wants to be the storage cube, because he hates the companion cube. So I"m going to cover the heart with an aperture science logo and uncover it as soon as he puts it on. :) It's a big box and his costume will be riding in the trunk.

Lorien
11-17-2008, 10:40 PM
AND (Stupid me to double post :D) My friend who is coming with me is going to be a turret (wanted GLaDOS, kindly explained to her that I"m dead broke and can't handle that kind of costume load) and another friend wants to be the storage cube, because he hates the companion cube. So I"m going to cover the heart with an aperture science logo and uncover it as soon as he puts it on. :) It's a big box and his costume will be riding in the trunk.

xDDD STORAGE CUBE IS A LIIIIIIIIIIIIE - sorry, I just had to. Am I the only one who immediately thought that? Damn the power of the unkillable meme -
Hurrah for turrets :D Got any ideas for how you're going to accomplish that? - would like to bounce ideas off someone else-

shinimouri25
04-30-2009, 02:11 AM
wheye did everyone get the fabrics for the jumpsuit...and possibly pattern's?

i've looked for a while and have pretty much come up empty handed

MissDragonblade
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Ohhh my god! I finally found the Portal cosplay thread! 8D Hey guys!

Anyway, I'm going to be cosplaying GLaDOS at Otakon, and I'd like everyone's opinion on the design I sketched up. First off, no it's NOT a humanoid/gijinka/whathaveyou. I'm actually going to be doing my best to make the outfit look as close as reasonably possible to the large hulking ladycomputer. :3 Which is a bit difficult, as you can assume.

When you look at the sketches, please note that the costume is upside down. Because GLaDOS looks like she's hanging, it's easier for a photographer to turn their camera around than it is for me to be upside down for the whole convention, haha. Also, there is going to be that round thing (that actually *says* GLaDOS) around the ankles, and the front view sketch doesn't have the core on the chest. :3 the back view is more accurate.

One last question for public opinion I'm throwing out here, but seeing as I'm wearing this to Otakon (in the middle of July), I know that it could get pretty hot. The helmet is removable, and I'm sure that at one point I might be removing it. (For, like, eating and stuff) The question is, should I have the hood of my zentai suit on under the helmet (the outfit is basically built on a bodysuit) or should I have my actual head underneath, and have it match the outfit (like a humanoid version/gijinka thing), perhaps with a (white) wig & maybe some sfx makeup to spirit gum some wires going up my cheeks or something?

I would LOVE feedback from everyone about this. You guys would be beyond awesome <3

MajinCrystalia
04-30-2009, 02:27 PM
AC inside of helmet. Most of the 501st do it.

thephotographer
06-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Trying to bring back this thread - *pokes with a stick* I decided kindof last-minute to go as GLaDOS to Anime Expo, to accompany my friend the Companion Cube. Somehow I thought it would be *easier* than Chell, although considering my outstanding lack of orange fabric and jumpsuit patterns, I might be right. Since it's so hasty I'm going with a simple design of various units covering me, but I'm hoping it all comes together!

MissDragonblade
06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
wrong thread guyze<3 ignore me.

Candy-Monster
10-17-2009, 04:55 PM
'Sup internet. :P
I have finished a GLaDOS cosplay last year for Halloween.
http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/165601/
[The way I incorporate the cake was I had a cute dessert patterned bag with cakes everywhere. :D]
I still wear this a lot & I usually wear the headband during special events.
I was thinking of making a Chell costume in the future too. <3

Seiaku
12-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Hello!
Okay so I am late on the portal train...lol

I really am excited to go as Chell for the up comming Anime North....but I am just starting my costume o.O
I am ordering the Jumpsuit, so that should be okay, I just have to alter it which scares me lol.
sewing machines make scary noises....
But!
I have no clue were to start with the leg springs! :( I need help!
My friends dad said he can actually make them and as a actual spring too where they will support my leg, but I don't want to rely on him and bug him (I am the type that is not happy and is stressed until the costume is done hee hee ^_^; )

not to mention the portal gun....! But for that I will wait until the rest is done, because I will be caring a sign that says "Where is my cake?" for now unless I make the ASHPD.

Any help is greatly appreciated! ^_______^

Volpin
12-29-2009, 09:19 AM
here's a few shots of how I built mine, if it will help:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14455307@N07/sets/72157621781639665/

Best of luck!

TR Rose
12-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Hello!
Okay so I am late on the portal train...lol

I really am excited to go as Chell for the up comming Anime North....but I am just starting my costume o.O
I am ordering the Jumpsuit, so that should be okay, I just have to alter it which scares me lol.
sewing machines make scary noises....
But!
I have no clue were to start with the leg springs! :( I need help!
My friends dad said he can actually make them and as a actual spring too where they will support my leg, but I don't want to rely on him and bug him (I am the type that is not happy and is stressed until the costume is done hee hee ^_^; )

not to mention the portal gun....! But for that I will wait until the rest is done, because I will be caring a sign that says "Where is my cake?" for now unless I make the ASHPD.

Any help is greatly appreciated! ^_______^

My heelsprings are made out of funfoam, and they have floral wire in the black "spring" parts to help them hold their shape.

The problem is getting them to stay on. Wound up using Hollywood tape which worked out okay.

I'm not sure how you'd build them to actually support your leg. Mine are purely cosmetic. ^^

Seiaku
01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the replies! ^^

Holly crap Volpin! Those are epic!!
How did you make those!? The pictures are a great help!

(I know have extera stress...I am probably moving so my dad's friend might not beable to help after all....XD)

Do you have a tutorial for them by any chance? (or will commission some! lol (Edit- I see you do commission so I am emailing you)) I need them in three months for Megacon in the states which is where I might be moving to (in Florida)

And thanks TR rose I suppose you would get that stuff at Micheals?
I was having the problem on how they would stay on, too

KyleMistry
01-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally I wanted to cosplay as a turret, but since that's probably not going to work out since I'm not two feet tall, I'm contemplating having my camera cosplay as a turret.

Should probably clarify that: I'm going to make a Portal turret tripod-like housing for my DSLR. The "eye" will obviously be for my camera's lens, and I'll more than likely have the pop-out sides be for storing spare memory cards, batteries, my flash, and maybe business cards and other things. Should be interesting.

Edit: I gotta say Volpin, not only are those some awesome heelsprings, but you've got some amazing stuff on your Flickr.

Edit again: I'll be damned, didn't know you were the one behind the BioShock Aquarium shots. Don't know why I didn't have you added as a contact before.

SvK
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Kyle: The turrets are surprisingly big. I think they're around 5 feet tall, but it has been a long time since I checked the dimensions. Your idea for a camera turret sounds really cool.

KyleMistry
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Really? Playing Portal, I wouldn't put them above 3 feet or so. Now I feel short, these things are only about 9 inches under my height.

Volpin
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the replies! ^^

Holly crap Volpin! Those are epic!!
How did you make those!? The pictures are a great help!

Do you have a tutorial for them by any chance?

I'll be posting something on my blog in a few weeks detailing the process. They still need a bit of work and details to be accurate, but I should have all the kinks ironed out soon.

Currently my commissions are booked until August (!!!) so I can't take on any more work for the time being. Sorry!

Seiaku
01-18-2010, 06:11 PM
That is alright ^^ but still epic!
The turret idea would be awesome kylemistry~

So I decided maybe if I can not get anything not failing on the leg springs that for march, I may just make cuts and gouges to make it look like I ripped them off. I think that would work. And be unique....
Then hold my sign, or a companion cube.
But If I don't go to megacon I will have time
of couse I still might be moving so I am a little stressed. I have to order my jumpsuit. I thought of this one and then adding the white then altering it.
What do you guys think?
http://www.nationaltextile.us/inc/sdetail/488
m,y mom is actually on bored with helping me with the leg springs *SHOCK!*
so who knows.

KyleMistry
01-20-2010, 09:53 PM
So I decided maybe if I can not get anything not failing on the leg springs that for march, I may just make cuts and gouges to make it look like I ripped them off. I think that would work. And be unique....

Kind of like a post-Aperture-lab-destruction Chell, eh? Would be nifty.

And of course, that just gives you something to wear to a Zombie Walk, if those go on in your area.

Seiaku
02-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Wow! Long time since I could respond :)

I already wrote a response...then firefox crashed...AHHH *anger*
so I have to remember every thing I had already tried to put in here...:(

Okay!
So I moved and am all settled into my new home ^^ yaay~
time for costume stuff!

I ordered the orange jumpsuit and it should be here in a few days, just have to alter it.
So How well did the white fabric marker thing work?? Because I am not good at sewing, and using white fabric and sewing it on might be...bad. But I can do that if I need to. I know if I do do it that way, I can un stitch any thing that went wrong...(I would do a shirt transfer for the Aperture logo on the back, though)
and I will roll the pants and sleeves, and sew them a bit and use those gromit snaps for the...snaps lol

but what about fabric tape??

Now about those leg springs again XD (sorry for redundancy...or annoyance but this is really helping me)

So now I actually have some materials for them now.
I have bendable wire for the 'spring' and I will rap it in black tape /foam and paint it black if I need to. This should help it be not to bendable when I wear them. (if that makes sense)

Okay never mined --
I decided to use the fun foam lol
what kind of glue did you use TR rose? Because I got them all made and the glue I used....was a really bad idea....XD and I might have to redo them I do have picture of them anyway if people want to see them....but when the blue actually dries, I will see if I can still use them.

I now have to figure out attaching the heel spring to me...which I have double sided strong tape and Velcro so I might use that to attack the black spring to the other part, too.

THANKS FORE ALL THE HELP! :sunny:

Mithrenniel
05-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Planning a GLaDOS cosplay, and not the usual Miku based GLaDOS-tan. I intend to put up a sketch of my cosplay soon.

Mithrenniel
05-16-2010, 12:34 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-Air-Force-Style-Flightsuit-Jumpsuit-Coveralls-XL-/220582390823?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item335bbc2c27

Ebay of an orange jumpsuit for anyone else thinking about cosplaying Chell

Mithrenniel
06-18-2010, 03:06 PM
bump of Justice
This thread is kinda hard to find

DukeLawliet
06-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Im probably gonna do an Aperture Science technician costume some day. Lab coat with logo, make a turret to carry around.

Mithrenniel
06-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Im probably gonna do an Aperture Science technician costume some day. Lab coat with logo, make a turret to carry around.

What material do you suggest for the turret? Also, a turret backback would be kind of cool.

Hissora
06-24-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm planning on cosplaying a self design for GLaDOS for next A-kon and I reeeeaaally wanna do a skit for Portal but none of my cosplay friends are even slightly interested in trying to actually even play the game. :/ But I have such a great skit idea in mind and all the costume designed.

Buhdog11
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I love portal!!! using cardboard box's for the base is good, if you can make a kind of plastic mold for the outside that might work good...

EpicOrange
07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I want to cosplay either Chell or GLaDOS to AWA 2010.

For GLaDOS, I was thinking this pattern (the white dress) (http://butterick.mccall.com/b5350-products-10265.php?page_id=155) in white with light blue accents and the Aperture Science logo, light gray fingerless gloves saying Aperture Science, and wearing her cores as jewelry. Will I be recognized?

Hakkari
07-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm going as Chell to AnimeUSA in November :3

My sister is going to be dressed up as GLaDOS and my five year old sister is going to be the Companion Cube x3

I'm kind of stuck on the simplest way to make the Portal Gun, though. Any suggestions?

Buhdog11
07-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Ahhhhhhh, GLaDOS costume would be sweet... Srry off topic.....

HAAAASSSSAAAA FALCON PAWNCH!!!!

Gaming Geek
07-10-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm planning on cosplaying a self design for GLaDOS for next A-kon and I reeeeaaally wanna do a skit for Portal but none of my cosplay friends are even slightly interested in trying to actually even play the game. :/ But I have such a great skit idea in mind and all the costume designed.

Well I know of some gamers who might be interested. Don't give up hope.

Hell look at me. I went to A-Kon as Freeman this year, not expecting anyone to even recognize me.

1magus
08-06-2010, 01:35 AM
A portal gun would be nice but than it would just make me depressed from the lack of it's portal power.

1magus
08-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Who am I kidding I would still buy one.

Hissora
08-10-2010, 02:21 AM

Hell look at me. I went to A-Kon as Freeman this year, not expecting anyone to even recognize me.

Send them my way if you would like! :D I need mostly girls, maybe one or two guys. Around 6-7 people in all though.

Lol you do make an awesome Freeman though x3

~Sango-chan~
08-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Just recently discovered Portal ^^;

I am considering cosplaying GLaDOS (not a humanoid version), but I am not 100% sure how to start. I will be taking a few ideas from this cosplayer: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=GLaDOS+costume#/d260eya (if they don't mind, cause I think their version is really well done :D ) and using a bodysuit ^_^

I am really looking for advice to make a glowing piece (for her 'eyes' ). I was thinking of a combination of LEDs and the stuff used to make jewel pieces (is it resin? ^^; ).

mizuhaki
10-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Hello :wave: Is anyone planning a Portal 2 Chell cosplay yet? I've been searching, but it's seems like I may the only one so far.
I'm looking for advice on constructing her (possible) flight helmet.

Hey, nice to see you again! :D I was the Scout's Mom at A-Kon last year. I didn't stay around for long though, so I don't know if you remember me, but you were easily the nicest person at the TF2 meet-up.

I'm dragging a friend to A-Kon next year, and I have the same problem with convincing friends to cosplay Portal characters. I'm trying to convince him to go as companion cube or a Wheatly (with built-in flashlight). We would gladly help with the skit if you need Portal 2 characters. :D

Hynoxolus
11-29-2010, 02:07 AM
If anyone is interested in looking, my Portal group had a Photoshoot with Elemental!
They're here: http://elemental-photography.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=341
She's amazing!

Orannis
02-16-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm planning to cosplay the Portal Turret. :D Up until today I didn't know how I would do the logistics of it, but I came across a post on Wonderflex which I had previously not known of. Now it's only a matter of time!

awesomesaucearu
04-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm hoping to cosplay GLaDOS for nyaf. Does anyone have any idea what I should make her 'shell'(the white, solid areas) out of? I'm totally lost.

EroSempai
05-04-2011, 08:33 PM
If anyone is interested in looking, my Portal group had a Photoshoot with Elemental!
They're here: http://elemental-photography.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=341
She's amazing!

@ Hynoxolus: You make an awesome Dalek :3

I'm thinking of wearing the companion cube look. Maybe with a companion cube in my hands too. I wonder what counts as the look though.. any ideas? (I am thinking a light pink wig and grey armwarmers/legwarmers with a pink tanktop and shorts.) (or pants depending of preference or weather you are living at)

Sorahana
05-21-2011, 06:43 PM
I have Chell from Portal 2 planned for Otakon. I an having a fun time trying to plot out how to make the long fall boots (lol).

Rurouni-Idoru
05-22-2011, 07:21 PM
I might as well de-lurk before I finish the stupid thing: I'm also working on Portal 2 version Chell, and, in fact, the long fall boots are what I'm trying to finish now.

I'm attempting to make them out of the vinyl-over-foam method that's popular with mecha cosplayers, and attach them to bootcovers. (I say "attempting" because I keep running into problems, such as defective spray cans on the glue I bought....) I was stuck for ideas on the heelsprings, until I discovered something called a "door bottom" in the DIY section of the Walmart I was shopping in that so far, seems perfect.

The con I want to debut her at is in 19 days, so I'm really feeling the pressure, to say the least.

Gabbyv23
05-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Might be doing a Chell cosplay for A-kon =3=
but parts of it are frustrating me so I might not.

palomino1234
05-28-2011, 06:31 AM
I'm planning to cosplay as Chell. Started making the portal gun and it's very hard to make! Also trying to figure out what boots to get... I'm not sure how I would be able to walk in high heel boots with the heel cut off, and flat boots just don't look the same. :(

ZettaBirdo
05-30-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm planning those boots out too. This being my first serious go at making a cosplay...I regret this deeply. Can anyone speak to the most likely terrible idea of using actual steel for the heel? Like, cut off the heel on some boots and...replace it with the metal bar somehow? :\\

palomino1234
05-30-2011, 04:03 AM
Well, I found 2 photos of finished Portal 2 Chell cosplayers, with the long fall boots!
http://uk.gamespot.com/images/special_feature/mcm-expo-2011-photos/gallery/101/?path=2011/147/gsuk-mcm7-3_54130_screen.jpg
http://uk.gamespot.com/images/special_feature/mcm-expo-2011-photos/gallery/146/?path=2011/147/gsuk-mcm9-32_89456_screen.jpg

I guess they just cut off the heel and walk like that?

Hakkari
05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Oh goodness those boots, man ;-; I'm thinking I'll just cut off the heels of my Blackrose boots and just pray that I don't fall back on my rear during the con lol.

And I only have like 20-ish days left before the con. I have the rest of it done, though. I dunno, should I just make the heel springs and make it a mixture of Portal 1 and Portal 2 Chell? o3o

Pendragon5
06-01-2011, 03:07 AM
I'm going to cosplay as GLaDOS using the Miku-based design (alternately known as GLaDOS-tan), debuting it at either a one-day con in August (doesn't really have panels) or one three-day one in October, depending on whether or not it's finished by August (though it probably will be).

Rewrite
06-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Just started getting back into Portal and am hopping on the costume bandwagon for it.

Since I have so much random crap sitting around at home I've decided to take up a challenge of making a GLaDOS costume out of mostly extra/recyclable materials. And to make my life more of a living android hell I'm making it look just like GLaDOS in the games, with all the wires and gear-looking things and LEDs and plating.
Hoping to get it finished before September. Already have more than enough material to make wires and some framework. Now I need to go dumpster diving at the local landfill (or at least try to buy some junk off the people there).

If I'm lucky, I may be able to make some parts be detachable so I can make a Wheatley version, too C:

RisaSparkle
06-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Okay, can anyone tell me what is the grey part of Chell's portal 2 outfit? It looks a strange material and I cannot figure out what its supposed to be part of!

See here : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/picture168c.jpg/

and here :http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/portal2sheroinechellget.jpg/

Alsooo, I found a tutorial for a Portal gun: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Portal-Gun/

Doesnt look too difficult, I'm going to try it out and let you all know how it goes :3

Hakkari
06-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Okay, can anyone tell me what is the grey part of Chell's portal 2 outfit? It looks a strange material and I cannot figure out what its supposed to be part of!

See here : http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/picture168c.jpg/

and here :http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/portal2sheroinechellget.jpg/

Alsooo, I found a tutorial for a Portal gun: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Portal-Gun/

Doesnt look too difficult, I'm going to try it out and let you all know how it goes :3

I'm not too terribly sure about what the gray material is either D8 I'm just planning on using a gray tank underneath the other two to fake it. It kin of looks like it has a zipper in the front, though?

Rewrite
06-05-2011, 11:20 AM
@ RisaSparkle - I almost want to say it might be a separate pair of shorts or pants underneath the jumpsuit judging from the zipper and how it doesn't look attached the the tank top.
Might want to look into finding some athletic stretch material since that generally tends to look pretty smooth and doesn't wrinkle that much when in use. Or find some grey shorts/pants/whatever that look similar at a [sports] store that sells athletic-type clothing then just modify it to your needs.

RisaSparkle
06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
@ RisaSparkle - I almost want to say it might be a separate pair of shorts or pants underneath the jumpsuit judging from the zipper and how it doesn't look attached the the tank top.
Might want to look into finding some athletic stretch material since that generally tends to look pretty smooth and doesn't wrinkle that much when in use. Or find some grey shorts/pants/whatever that look similar at a [sports] store that sells athletic-type clothing then just modify it to your needs.

Ohh, thank you for clearing that up!! That's a really simple way to do it! ~ :D

Nathus Dorkus
06-16-2011, 01:07 PM
*Handraise* Planning a human GlaDOS crossplay.

MissCookie
07-05-2011, 02:22 AM
I did a human!GLaDOS cosplay from (specifically) Portal 2.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2979682/

It's still a bit of a WIP but I wore it to Animazement 2011.

Hakkari
07-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I did a Chell cosplay for AMA 2011.
I forced my sister to be my companion cube.
It was extremely fun xD We attracted a lot of attention (though she attracted a lot more than me by herself lol)
Pictures are on my profile. ^_^

division-ten
07-11-2011, 01:31 PM
I was an Aperture employee carrying a 3 foot GLaDOS puppet at AnimeNEXT, and will be bringing her (as well as one of my friends dressed as Rattman) with me to Otakon. You can see GLaDOS as my current pic- she lights up, talks (thanks to a speaker system wired into the head, through the back, and into a battery pack in my coat pocket), and moves via the cables in her head connecting to my left arm.

I also made a Chell kimono which you can see here (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/img0450n.jpg/). It's not backwards, the photo was just taken in a mirror.

Lastly, I did all of the art, props, and costumes for an Exile Vilify contest video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HyyOQ_uDss). Look close and you'll see a disassembled turret on Rattmann's desk!

Se 'yall at Otakon!

Gabbyv23
07-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Need some Chell refs?
someone ripped the model from the game and made a video of some poses.
quite helpful I think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1fT7_dYyGc

There's some gifs on tumblr too if you want them, I can link.

☆★~白黒~★☆
08-23-2011, 01:07 AM
I'll assume this thread isn't dead yet and post this here...

I'm planning a self-designed version of GLaDOS-tan (I'll post that doodle of a blueprint-thing later/eventually) but I still don't know where to start and such. The whole thing is a bit of a white thigh-length dress with Miku GLaDOS sleeves and white boots, but what kind of fabric should I use to make it kinda shiny-ish. On top of that, I have no experience with boot covers and I still don't know how I should make the personality cores without ruining the whole concept of them.

On another note, volpin, if you're still lurking around this place for whatever reason, I'll say this. I hate you as of now cuz you can make freakishly realistic props (portal gun) and...I'm kinda jealous, actually. I respect your work, but I think I'll just hate you as a person anyway, mmkay?

~Shirokuro

Ryder Phoenix
10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I am thinking about going as Chell to my next anime con. However i dont know where i would get an orange jumpsuit or orange jumper pants. Can i find them in regular clothing stores or should i travel to somewhere else? Id rather not order anything online if i can help it. Help would be appreciated. :spinner:

EroSempai
10-05-2011, 01:25 PM
I am thinking about going as Chell to my next anime con. However i dont know where i would get an orange jumpsuit or orange jumper pants. Can i find them in regular clothing stores or should i travel to somewhere else? Id rather not order anything online if i can help it. Help would be appreciated. :spinner:

I know that work stores sell them. Look for a place similar to whistle workwear for one. They are a bit expensive there but are good quality cloth.

If you want a cheaper option check goodwill. It is known to be a cosplayer paradise if you don't want to spend so much.

Ryder Phoenix
10-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks EroSempai! Ill try that :D do you think goodwill would have a white skirt and white shoes as well?

EroSempai
10-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks EroSempai! Ill try that :D do you think goodwill would have a white skirt and white shoes as well?

Yep! Goodwill has a ton. If you have any other local thrift shops check there too. I know with my state (Washington) has a place called Value Village

princessnavi848
10-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi there! <peeks inside> I need some help with my Chell jumpsuit (Portal 2). In the reference below when you zoom in a TON, it looks like there is extra stitching at the pants-portion of the jumpsuit. Does that look like regular stitching to you guys, or an actual seam/dart?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110509203944/half-life/en/images/8/80/Portal_2_chell.jpg

Liruliniel
11-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey!

I'm starting to work on a Chell cosplay, but I'm having some trouble.
I bought an orange jumpsuit online but even after washing it it's a little big. Mainly I need to alter it so the crotch isn't hanging too low (I'm 5'0 so it's a little too baggy right now).

How do I go about doing that? I have no idea.

I also need to add sleeves to the top (it's a short sleeve jumpsuit, but I was planning on doing Chell from Portal 2, with the long sleeves tied around the waist).

Thoughts?

annietabio
12-10-2011, 12:04 AM
I think it would be great if you do it with couple of more people. People love taking photos of group cosplay and this is the perfect type for it.

HylianChevalier
01-06-2012, 04:02 PM
-waves-
I'm just posting here so it saves under my forum/comments on my profile.

I'm working on the long fall boots and the portal gun for my first cosplay/convention this spring. :)

KnightJeran
02-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Hello all~

I'm working on my Chell cosplay (with my friend as Cyborg/Android Glados) and all I have left is the wig and shoes. Since she wears a relatively low ponytail, I'm thinking I can just manipulate a thinner wig into one, since her hair is kinda thin and wispy. As for the boots, what has everyone else been doing? They seem pretty difficult to get right and accurate, and I've seen a lot of different things...

I plan on making a light up Wheatley though! That'll be fun!

toughtink
02-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Hello all~

I'm working on my Chell cosplay (with my friend as Cyborg/Android Glados) and all I have left is the wig and shoes. Since she wears a relatively low ponytail, I'm thinking I can just manipulate a thinner wig into one, since her hair is kinda thin and wispy. As for the boots, what has everyone else been doing? They seem pretty difficult to get right and accurate, and I've seen a lot of different things...

I plan on making a light up Wheatley though! That'll be fun!

i haven't made any long fall boots myself, but the two main variations i've seen are either with the heels or without. without, you'd have to worry about walking only on your toes or else falling over, but it'd be more accurate and looks pretty cool. if you're more keen on safety then accuracy, i'd say there's no shame in keeping the heel as i've seen plenty of cosplayers just paint it black to match the metal dealy that curves down the back and having that piece actually attached to the heel on the bottom.

anyway, here's a thread on here where they threw out some ideas: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=241069

also, if you like pictures like i do, i found this thread on a different forum where they show their process step-by-step: http://www.therpf.com/f24/making-long-fall-boots-portal-2-tenth-147418/

good luck with the light up wheatley, too!! i'm working on a glados cosplay right now and plan on having a light-up headpiece. :D

SidSuicide
12-11-2013, 02:16 AM
Chell is my favorite to do:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/sidsuicide/IMG_1702_zps45be9731.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/sidsuicide/IMG_1686_zpsd8995c63.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/sidsuicide/IMG_1685_zpsb707e9dd.jpg

Resident-chick
12-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm working on glados ATM

music2die4
07-14-2014, 03:33 PM
My friend and I are doing GLaDOS/Chell and Atlas/P-Body together. My idea for GLaDOS is to have an LED shine on one eye because she only has on optic, so that'll pull the focus to that eye.

SociallyAwkward
11-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Glados cosplayer here; making snarky comments and judging you.

Nah,I kid.

I just discovered that there was a Portal thread so I'm bumping it. Anyway, note to self: I need to remember to take a pic with my PotatOS (a gift courtesy my sister and brother in law :D) next time I put on my glados cosplay :p