PDA

View Full Version : Blade of the Immortal

evilchii
06-09-2003, 11:18 PM
oh yeah!! ^_^ it's my favorite manga so i had to start a thread about it. i think it's beatifully drawn and it's an amazing story with an awesome cast.

time for shameless promotion: Buy It!!!! it's worth it!!

Alexeil
06-10-2003, 03:41 AM
*nods* Blade of the Immortal rules! It's definetly one of my all time favorite manga. I did a costume of Makie awhile back. It's not the most accurate, but it was a lof of fun. There are so many great characters, stories, and art in BotI. And kudos to Dark Horse for doing such a fine job bringing it to the US.

evilchii
06-10-2003, 10:16 AM
you're maki costume is beautiful!

and i agree about Dark Horse. sure, it's more expensive but they did such a great job that i think it's worth the extra dollars.

Bell-chan
06-10-2003, 11:41 AM
^_^ If my friend actually read forums she would be all over this thread. A few years ago I first read Blade of the Immortal because she introduced it to me. After that I'd check it out from the library. @_@ (cheap, I know, but I got to read it.) I'd show it to my friend and now every time I check one out and show it to her she'd go crazy. (She thinks Manji is the hottest guy ever ^^').

I agree about the art. It's beautifully drawn (just realized evilchii said the exact same thing @_@), even if I don't know what's going on sometimes because they're so busy. :D I was going to make a costume of Hyakurin sometime. (... >.> Need to get a blonde wig...)

Kali
06-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Y'know, I saw it at the store and was thinking about getting it (the art looked excellent!), but didn't get a chance to read the summary...what's it about? ^_^;;

evilchii
06-10-2003, 03:02 PM
i'm terrible at summaries so i'm gonna quote from my favorite BotI website which is a wonderful resource for this manga.
http://www.sutic.nu/blade/index.htm

"Blade of the Immortal is the story about the ronin (masterless samurai) Manji who has killed innocents left and right on his master's orders. However, he eventually realizes that his master wasn't as good a guy as he thought, and assassinates him. Killing one's superior isn't very legal, and Manji finds himself one of the most wanted persons in Japan. Several police officers try to capture/ kill him, but only manage to end up as fodder for Manji's swords. After slaying a hundred officers, he is tired of living and wants to die, but he can't. Not until he has atoned for his slaughter. To make up for the hundred people he killed, he must now kill a thousand more. The story takes place in the 2nd year of Tenmei, which is approximately 1782-1783 in Gregorian years.

Naturally, the story doesn't end there, with Manji travelling all over Japan like an ambulating food processor (even though he could), but is sidetracked pretty much instantly into the first great story arc, the battle against the Itto-ryu, as Manji meets the orphan Rin. Rin has sworn revenge against those who murdered her parents, and, knowing about Manji's capacity to absorb wounds, begs him to help her. They start off with Manji telling her to simply go away, but pretty soon Manji finds himself entangled in the struggle against the killers of Rins parents - the almost superhuman Itto-ryu school of swordfighting."

besides the amazing art, my favorite aspect of BotI are the complex and interesting characters. my favorite character is Magatsu Taito with Giichi in a close second.

somday i wanna make a Hyakurin costume too, wrist crossbow and all, so i wish you luck Bell-chan!!!

Alexeil
06-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the compliment of my costume, evilchii. ^_^ If you do Hyakurin at any cons I'm going to I'd be happy to bring it and get pics with ya!

Bell-chan
06-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Thanks evilchii ^_^ good luck with yours, too. I'd like to see it when you do it :D (I loved the little crossbow! Coool XD)

nekochan
06-11-2003, 07:23 PM
LOL! yay!! BotI... Bell-chan intro'd me to it when she started checking it out... I like it but I'm too scared of it to buy it o_o and that was the manga that gave my parents a REALLY bad impression of manga. yeah... bad idea but i accidentally left it in the car and my dad flipped through it and found one of the many rape scenes... x_x but even though it's really scary and gives me nightmares I love the story. if Bell-chan ever cosplays Hyakurin I'll probably do Rin xD

edit: oh, and she doesn't think Manji's as hot as that other guy... >>> (forgot his name but his gf worked in that whorehouse) does she?

akiko
06-11-2003, 08:41 PM
The inking is amazing in this manga *nods* and matches the dark, deep storyline so very well...

--Akiko

evilchii
06-11-2003, 09:09 PM
if i ever get my lazy ass up and complete some costumes ^_^;; , i would be more then happy to get pics with you when i do Hyakurin, Alexeil.

i dunno how i'm going to do it but i want to make a working crossbow but of course not use real darts, lol.

yeah some of the stuff is definitely gory and my dad once found a one of my books laying around but he thought it great so i was lucky ^^

neko-chan - the guy you're talking about is Magatsu, i think, if you're refering to the guy who wears the mask and his hair looks alot like vash's from trigun.

I think the inking is awesome. i love the artistic two page spreads whenever someone is killed but unfortunatly, as the novels progress, they kinda stop appearing but oh well.

Odin
06-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Kinda odd . . . just two days ago I bought the first two volumes of Blade of the Immortal. It's a manga that's been around for a while that I've always wanted to read, but it wasn't until recently I had the money to bother picking it up. After reading all of Lone Wolf and Cub, I was ambivalent about buying another samurai-type manga, but fortunately I'm not disappointed at all. The artwork is very nice (which is the first thing that attracted me towards it), and while I would hardly consider it suspenseful (since Manji is . . . well . . . practically immortal) everything is so well done I can't wait to pick up the rest of the books.

Are the volumes that are out right now from Dark Horse the entire series, or is it still a continuing series?
-Odin

evilchii
06-12-2003, 02:31 PM
nope, there are eleven out right now but that's not the entire series. i have absolutely no idea how much more there will be though but i think the story is nearing its end.

Odin
06-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks.

Arrrgh so much manga . . .
-Odin

EvilMoogleQueen
06-15-2003, 03:13 PM
blade of the immortal is great. unfortunately I have a really hard time finding it in stores. and when I do find it they only have scattered volumes. but aside from not reading it in order, i love it. I really like the drawing style. the mix of badas and modern language with fuedal japan is really interesting and amusing.

Odin
06-15-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm just going to purchase the rest of the series off of Dark Horse's website. Get it all at once, bwahaha!
-Odin

evilchii
06-19-2003, 02:11 PM
woohoo! good for you ^^ you won't be disappointed!

Odin
07-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Those books flew by fast. Now I can't wait for more . . .

About how long does it take for a new graphic novel to be released?

-Odin

evilchii
07-02-2003, 04:45 PM
ehhh, well Dark Horse likes to take their sweet ass time with their graphic novels. the latest volume came out in December so the new novel should be coming out soon(???)

anyway, BotI is coming out as a 30 page comic book every month and it takes like six or seven of them to complete a novel so basically we have to wait half a year or more for them to issue each graphic novel.

i think that's insane but all we can do is sit and wait.

Odin
07-02-2003, 05:31 PM
As long as BotI isn't, like, 38 graphic novels long I think I can wait it out. It's easier on the wallet, anyway - I'm sure to have 16 bucks or so free after six or seven months!

Actually, I'm glad Viz is no longer releasing as many single-issue comics as they used to. It's far more convenient to buy the graphic novels of longer manga series than the single issues (especially when it comes to, like, Ranma 1/2).
-Odin

Skullez
07-10-2003, 10:45 PM
omg blade is one of the only mangas i read cuz the art is descent and detailes an dhas goood effort put into it ..and no stupid chibis...and a great story line !! i love samuari dramas !!
so far i have been collecting teh monthly manga for 3 years but i stoped cuz they started the books a fw years back. and so far i only have 8 books. i did have 9 but i got my brother hookd on blade in the sprint time and he lost one.
he is goan replace it i hope.
but im lazy and havent goten the rest yet.

Ali
10-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Any idea when volume 12 will be out?

I love this series. I just can't afford it. I only own volume 11 because Hyakurin's my favorite character. (Hyakurin, with Burafuma, was my first cosplay. ^_^) (God I need to redo it someday...)

I'll probably own the entire series eventually, and coming from me, that's saying a lot. (I only own one series and have purchased maybe two manga in the last 4 years. One of those two was Blade.)

evilchii
10-25-2003, 11:37 PM
hmm, i thought i read on the dark horse website that #12 should be out in november.

gah, it's been like a year and a half since the last novel, i'm dying here!!!

Ali
10-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Actually... I think it was less than a year.

Still.

neekabe
10-26-2003, 03:30 PM
The website says that volume 12 will be out on Dec 31st just in time to blow that christmas money ^_~ I can't wait to get my hands on it... beautiful books, and amazing story. Manji's just such a fun personality ^_^

evilchii
10-26-2003, 07:42 PM
lol you're right Ali, i'm sure it's been less then a year but it feels like forever.

and dec 31st huh? awesome and finally!! ;_; i'm so impatient

Tsumanne
10-29-2003, 03:39 AM
I got the first Volume when it came out as a graphic novel a few years ago and liked it alot. I've just been to cheep to get the rest. I'll get it eventualy.

Sakura Drops
11-03-2003, 10:22 PM
They are taking too long to release the next book! It feels like months since the last volume. -_-

Odin
11-03-2003, 11:25 PM
They are taking too long to release the next book! It feels like months since the last volume. -_-

Keep in mind that Dark Horse is still releasing Blade of the Immortal as monthly single issues (don't they still do that?)
-Odin

ACXchan
11-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Odin: Keep in mind that Dark Horse is still releasing Blade of the Immortal as monthly single issues (don't they still do that?)

Yeah I think so, I've seen single issues out on the stands at comic stores. I don't buy them though because I've been collecting only the volumes so I'd be like... missing a chunk of plot between the singles and the last collected volume ^ ^;; But yay finally another one just in time for Christmas XD

Bell-chan
11-04-2003, 07:28 PM
That reminds me... I still need to borrow the manga my friend got at Anime Expo this year... *grins*

Blam
11-04-2003, 08:09 PM
I started off reading the trade paperbacks but then i got impatient and started buying the single comics. It's an incredible manga that you just can't get enough of. And all the characters you meet have a presence and personality of their own. Now after seeing this thread... all i want to do is go to the comic book store to get more comics of it :P or maybe see if anyone is selling that Manji action figure with all his weapons.