PDA

View Full Version : What to do about props that fall apart (particularily sculpty)

Freya
06-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Not the best material to have my Garnet crown and trinkets on the gloves made out of...what would you all suggest to bring incase they break? I know hot glue gun can do the job but in the middle of a con?:thumbsup:

moo
06-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Carry superglue in your emergency sewing kit? Maybe small bottles of matching paint (or heck, nail polish if the colors are close enough) for touching up the break lines.

linzie chan
06-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Sculpty is so aggravating! I just finished my mechanical bird for my suu costume, and it is already crunbling. If it is cracking, chipping, or just falling apart, try Mod-podge. If you apply like 10 coats, your prop will be as hard as a brick and less likely to break. Plus, If something has already broken you can hot glue it back, then seal it with MP. The stuff is a life saver ^_^

<I hate editing my posts, but I can't spell!

Catatonic_Van
06-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Resin spray it if you can find the stuff.

Kira_Yamato
06-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Avoid sculpy like the plague, if at all possible. It's better even to carve things out of styrofoam.

Catatonic_Van
06-11-2003, 02:07 PM
oh come on o.o sculpy isn't that bad. You just gotta know how to treat it right. Adding inner support wires and a nice resin coat will make it strong enough to withstand all dings, drops, and bangs.
I've already dropped my sword of dios(which only has support wires) around the house 3 or 4 times and the entire handle is not only made of sculpy but it supports the entire blade. It hasn't broken or chipped. My Yuna Symbol has no support wires and a guy accidentally bumped me into a shelf in the dealers room at katsu but it held up from the resin coat. I've found that over-cooking it by a few minutes (until it lightly browns) it's not as brittle either.

scandia
06-11-2003, 02:50 PM
I know this will result in your props being rather two-dimensional, but I stick to fabric backed up with paper or sometimes thin cardboard. Makes the props and decorations VERY flexible and easy to move with them on. Sure sure, it may not look as 3-D as the original, but in cases where the material is not specified, it is easier to use ribbons, fabric, paper, or cardboard than to sculp something out of clay or metal.

linzie chan
06-11-2003, 06:31 PM
yeah, I used gold fabric for all the screw and meatlic details on suu's bodysuit on corset, but sometime you need sculpey for big things like the sword of dios for example.

Kira_Yamato
06-11-2003, 10:18 PM
For a sword or something, i'd much rather go with making the handle out of reinforced foam. But personally, for small detail work, nothing beats sheet plastic and putty

Balmung
06-12-2003, 09:04 AM
Foamies rock! I use them for everything, and best of all they're flexible so if I smashed my Yuna X-2 gun into a wll it would spring back! They're great as detals on fabric too ^_^ as for breakage...cary superglue and lots of needles and thread.

linzie chan
06-12-2003, 02:07 PM
can you get craft foam at JoAnns? I don't think Iv'e seen it, I use culpey for all my little accessories, but this foam thing sounds interesting

Akujin
06-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Even thos small viles of Hard as nails work great for sculpy coats. goes on clear (or whatever color you get) it is great for makeing an enamel look for inu yasha fang necklaces :D

anyway you can pick that up at walmart in the nail polish area. I have never had sculpy crumble. that is just freaky.